PDA

View Full Version : Girliest/Guyest thing you do?

knights68
08-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Heard this on the radio this morning, thought it was a hoot. So here I present to you, ladies and gents, the question of the day:

(Guys) What is the girliest thing or habit you have/do?
(Gals) What is the guyest thing or habit you have/do?

DevilWolf
08-22-2007, 09:29 AM
I love pedicures.

But I do retain my guy card each time by asking how much for a happy ending.

Shammrog
08-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Girlie stuff mostly resolves around my 5 year old, very girlie daughter. I have to dress her, do her hair, and play with her stuffed animals. Thank God she isn't big into dolls.

knights68
08-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Mine is that I have started carrying around my wallet, cell phone, etc in a fanny pack or something a tad bigger than that.
Hey, if Hulk Hogan and Gene Simmons can do it..... :cool:

EarlJam
08-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Sometimes I will put on heels, fishnet hose, earrings and a dress and break out the guitar in my living room, pretenting to be one of the Bangles while playing a few of there songs.

The neighbors usually put an end to this pretty quickly though.

-Earljam

EarlJam
08-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Sometimes I will put on heels, fishnet hose, earrings and a dress and break out the guitar in my living room, pretenting to be one of the Bangles while playing a few of there songs.

The neighbors usually put an end to this pretty quickly though.

-Earljam

A serious answer: Go to the spa for a massage. I didn't go to a spa (not the trashy spas) until my back went out on me a couple of years ago. My doctor recommended I give it a try. I was a bit nervous but ended up loving it. I'll still go occasionally. It's a good experience.

Also, though I don't do it, I'd like to try painting as a creative outlet. I told a male friend this once and he called me a very bad name.

-EarlJam

TillyGalore
08-22-2007, 11:34 AM
I'd like to try painting as a creative outlet. -EarlJam

Would that be painting your toes to show off in those heels? :D

wilson
08-22-2007, 11:37 AM
(not the trashy spas)
-EarlJam

A "trashy spa" shall henceforth be known on these boards as a Rub 'n Tug.

As for me, the girliest thing I do on a regular basis is sing along in full falsetto (and not a bad one, I might add) to songs like "Respect" and "I Will Survive."

Jfrosh
08-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Like Shammrog, my girlie stuff revolves around my three girls. They love me to play Barbies with them and I am pretty good at it if I do say so myself. I draw the line at playing with all the naked barbies in the bathtub though.
Thank god my son asks me to play Madden on the PS2 with him.

TNTDevil
08-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Girlie stuff mostly resolves around my 5 year old, very girlie daughter. I have to dress her, do her hair, and play with her stuffed animals. Thank God she isn't big into dolls.Your large inflatable "friend"? Hopefully, she hasn't "met" her yet. :eek:

EarlJam
08-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Would that be painting your toes to show off in those heels? :D

Don't be silly Tilly! I don't paint my toenails anymore.

-EarlJam

Dukerati
08-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Lately, I've thought about proposing to Mark Texieria.... other than that, my girliest trait is definetely my excessive accesorization. Hats, belts, watches, bracelets, gotta have them.

Lavabe
08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Girlie stuff mostly resolves around my 5 year old, very girlie daughter. I have to dress her, do her hair, and play with her stuffed animals. Thank God she isn't big into dolls.

Shammrog,
Please note that Evil has moved into Atlanta:
http://www.americangirl.com/stores/location_atl.php

DON'T GO THERE!!
Cheers,
Lavabe

snowdenscold
08-22-2007, 02:34 PM
I watch Love Actually about three times a year.

DevilAlumna
08-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Well, I'm the sports fanatic in my household -- doesn't matter which sport, I *will* watch the playoffs & championship. I avidly follow Duke, Nebraska, and now UW college sports, plus their major rivals. My hubby, on the other hand, refers to a run in baseball as a "point."

I can also change a tire, my oil & filters, use power tools, figure out complex remote controls, and explain the concept of a locking differential.

But I do love my pedicure -- about the only "girly" thing I do regularly.

captmojo
08-22-2007, 04:12 PM
I always practice "catch and release" fishing.:D

hc5duke
08-22-2007, 07:41 PM
I watch Love Actually about three times a year.

Great movie - I'd also recommend About a Boy.

I can also change a tire, my oil & filters, use power tools, figure out complex remote controls, and explain the concept of a locking differential.

Will you marry me? Don't tell my wife ;)

dukemomLA
08-23-2007, 04:44 AM
Sports, sports, sports. My day in 'heaven' would consist of a Duke NCAA BB game, Olympics (summer or winter), NFL football, MLB baseball, World Cup soccer, PGA Golf (with Tiger, of course), etc. (And a great book to read).

Then again, I might be busy putting a new roof on the house, or refinishing the hardwood floors, painting the bedrooms, planting new flowers, building a new brick wall, fixing the plumbing or sprinkler system, or fishing for trout.

(Are these mostly guy things??) I spent LOTS of time teaching my late husband about the rules of MLB & the NFL (and telling him that what I wanted for birthday/Christmas presents were tickets to the Mets/Giants) -- and I also showed him the difference between a crescent wrench & a plumber's wrench, a phillips head & a flat head, ...what an allen wrench was for, and the difference between most hammers).

Does this qualify?

lmb
08-23-2007, 01:21 PM
...the guys are kind of made fun of for doing girlie things, but the gals are praised for doing guy things.

The most admirable guy thing I do is follow sports (Duke bball being at the absolute top of the list). The least admirable guy thing I do is probably drinking directly out of the milk bottle. Yes - I admit it.

DevilAlumna
08-23-2007, 02:04 PM
The least admirable guy thing I do is probably drinking directly out of the milk bottle. Yes - I admit it.

Who doesn't sneak a drink from the carton? Milk, water bottles, juice, box-o'-wine -- it's all fair game in our household. (j/k on that last one, not allowed in the door.)

I sense a poll.... but will refrain. :)

TillyGalore
08-29-2007, 07:47 PM
I just changed the bulb to one of my headlights. Actually, it's the third bulb I've changed on my car - including one of the front fog lights. I love doing it myself versus paying someone to do it.

Although, I will take the car in this weekend for an oil change. I admire you DevilAlumna for changing the oil yourself.

rthomas
08-29-2007, 08:26 PM
I admire you DevilAlumna for changing the oil yourself.

Jeez...I'm sorry but I'd never change the oil in my car. You don't have a Jiffy Lube? an extra 25 bucks every 5000 miles? What do you do with the old oil? dump it on the ground...in a ditch???
I don't even know where oil goes in my car.......or wher it comes out.

hc5duke
08-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Jeez...I'm sorry but I'd never change the oil in my car. You don't have a Jiffy Lube? an extra 25 bucks every 5000 miles? What do you do with the old oil? dump it on the ground...in a ditch???
I don't even know where oil goes in my car.......or wher it comes out.

Do you really want to trust under-paid and under-appreciated guys at Jiffy Lube to change your oil properly? Granted, I've only changed oil since I got my new car, but if I had to get something like that done, I'd take it to a mechanic that I know and trust (don't have one yet), or at the very least a dealership that I trust (I have one). Changing your own oil isn't always cheaper but here's a pretty good source (http://jalopnik.com/cars/car-care/and-you-will-know-us-by-the-trail-of-parts-oil-and-filter-change-222215.php) if you want to learn how to change your oil/filter. I got ramps, chock, and oil container all from Amazon (free shipping~!)

Also, you're supposed to get one of those oil containers and get it to a recycling center, which I'm sure most auto part stores will do.

P.S. more reasons not to go to Jiffy Lube (or most discount oil change places I'm sure) (http://consumerist.com/consumer/jiffy-lube/)

Bostondevil
08-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Guy things I do:

Does posting on DBR count?

1) Sports, watch 'em, talk about them, won a shirt off a local sports talk radio show the only time I called in (earning girl points back - I found it a bit intimidating)

2) Car care - although I don't change tires or pump gas, I'm the one in the house who sees about the cars (I know how to change a tire, the oil, the anti-freeze, but I don't actually do it myself.)

3) Balancing the checkbook - my job, so is paying the bills

4) Math - majored in it, day job statistician

5) Playwriting - don't make much money at it but I get produced regularly. In the festivals I've participated in, I've been outnumbered by the guys about 5 to 1.

6) I never ask my husband if something makes me look fat.

That said, I knit when I watch sports on TV, including figure skating. Pedicures are awesome!

TillyGalore
08-29-2007, 09:12 PM
I knit when I watch sports on TV, including figure skating.

Woo hoo, another knitter on the board!!! And she does it while watching sports. Nice to know I'm not alone with these endeavors.

Johnboy
08-29-2007, 09:12 PM
A "trashy spa" shall henceforth be known on these boards as a Rub 'n Tug.

As for me, the girliest thing I do on a regular basis is sing along in full falsetto (and not a bad one, I might add) to songs like "Respect" and "I Will Survive."

Ahh, yes - earlier this summer I was caught by some friends singing along with the radio in my boat to "I'm Just a Girl" (No Doubt). Mockery ensued, despite my lovely falsetto voice. Funny how well sound travels across water.

rthomas
08-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Do you really want to trust under-paid and under-appreciated guys at Jiffy Lube to change your oil properly? Granted, I've only changed oil since I got my new car, but if I had to get something like that done, I'd take it to a mechanic that I know and trust (don't have one yet), or at the very least a dealership that I trust (I have one). Changing your own oil isn't always cheaper but here's a pretty good source (http://jalopnik.com/cars/car-care/and-you-will-know-us-by-the-trail-of-parts-oil-and-filter-change-222215.php) if you want to learn how to change your oil/filter. I got ramps, chock, and oil container all from Amazon (free shipping~!)

Also, you're supposed to get one of those oil containers and get it to a recycling center, which I'm sure most auto part stores will do.

P.S. more reasons not to go to Jiffy Lube (or most discount oil change places I'm sure) (http://consumerist.com/consumer/jiffy-lube/)

I used to change my own oil, But where to put old oil, the complicated nature of new cars, time, and the small amount of money it costs. I don't do it any more AND have never had trouble with any of the cheapo places - Except for them thrying to sell me things I didn't need - like filers.

I do have a trusty (very trusty) mechanic and he doesn't want to take the time or my money for him to change my oil. He likes more complicated things.

DevilAlumna
08-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Woo hoo, another knitter on the board!!! And she does it while watching sports. Nice to know I'm not alone with these endeavors.

Does crocheting count? I know how to knit, but both grandmothers crocheted, so it makes me feel good to think I'm doing what made them happy. Plus, I like only having to hold one hook, as opposed to two needles. One less thing for me to misplace when I jump up to cheer my Dukies.

And Tilly, I said I could change my oil. Not that I do, most of the time. That's what spouses are for! :D

To dispose of used oil? Dump it in a bucket (or milk carton or other storage container), and take it to your local autosupply store (Shucks, Autozone, whatever.) They take it off your hands for free, and dispose of it properly.

captmojo
08-29-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm proud of and happy for you ladies.

Bostondevil
08-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Just noting that Tilly is Tommy Amaker at 259. And yes, I'm too lazy to go find that old thread, is that a guy thing? If so, add it to the list. Oh, and Tilly, we should start a knitting thread.

DevilAlumna? Sure croceting counts, but you ought to try knitting with circulars, no dropping needles ever!

TillyGalore
08-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Does crocheting count? I know how to knit, but both grandmothers crocheted, so it makes me feel good to think I'm doing what made them happy. Plus, I like only having to hold one hook, as opposed to two needles. One less thing for me to misplace when I jump up to cheer my Dukies.

And Tilly, I said I could change my oil. Not that I do, most of the time. That's what spouses are for! :D

I'm still impressed you know how to change your oil. :D

Tilly, we should start a knitting thread.

DevilAlumna? Sure croceting counts, but you ought to try knitting with circulars, no dropping needles ever!

I agree on both accounts as I could always use a little assistance with a project I'm working on.

DevilAlumna, I agree with Bostondevil re the circular needles, I love them. I understand your desire to crochet because your grandmothers do, that is why I knit. Though both mine are gone, I swear at times I can feel the presence of one of them when I'm knitting.

Bluedawg
08-30-2007, 09:43 AM
When i do dishes I load the dishwasher by size and when i put them away I stack them by size...even if it means re-stacking them after some else has already put them away.

captmojo
08-30-2007, 09:47 AM
When i do dishes I load the dishwasher by size and when i put them away I stack them by size...even if it means re-stacking them after some else has already put them away.

Careful. This really could be OCD.:D

Bluedawg
08-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Careful. This really could be OCD.:D

You mean Overly Cautious Dishwasher?

Dukerati
08-30-2007, 02:48 PM
I can't speak for the other guys on this board, but I feel in awe of the DBR ladies. I have been trying to convert (and spectacularly failing) my girlfriend for several years to cultivate some of the "manly" qualities that you ladies possess. (Sigh) At least I know now that it's not genetic and that it is theoretically possible. My efforts shall double in force and persistence!

Indoor66
08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
I can't speak for the other guys on this board, but I feel in awe of the DBR ladies. I have been trying to convert (and spectacularly failing) my girlfriend for several years to cultivate some of the "manly" qualities that you ladies possess. (Sigh) At least I know now that it's not genetic and that it is theoretically possible. My efforts shall double in force and persistence!

Maybe you should try guys?

Dukerati
08-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Hmm, intriguing suggestion. I like your "outside the box" approach to my problem.

DukieInKansas
08-30-2007, 06:59 PM
I think I have a male gene in my thumb - I channel surf.

I also like when I get to play with power tools. When emptying my father's house, I claimed the Makita cordless drill before the brothers even got a chance. (I did have to fight a niece for it, though.)

I also fall into the sports nut category. Will watch almost any sport. Exceptions are auto racing and boxing. I have stayed up late to watch curling at the Olympics and can even name one of the all time great lugers. (Georg Hackl, although the spelling may be incorrect. His nickname was the great white flying sausage.)

Bostondevil
08-30-2007, 07:42 PM

Aw shucks. I credit (blame?) the lack of female influences in my life, I have 2 brothers, 4 sons, and one husband but no sisters or daughters although I do have a mother. Sink or swim. It all started when I tried to imitate Ty Cobb's batting stance in the backyard to impress my brothers (I studied pictures from a library book). I was seven when I gave up the dream of playing in the major leagues though, I noticed there weren't any girls. But I didn't realize there weren't any girls in my math classes until junior year, in that respect I'm obtuse. I spend so much time being the only girl around I don't really notice.

mapei
08-31-2007, 07:59 PM
A girlie thing I like: fashion magazines.

Your resident metrosexual,
mapei

knights68
09-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Do you really want to trust under-paid and under-appreciated guys at Jiffy Lube to change your oil properly?[/URL]

Sorry I got to this a little late but I just wanted to express an opinion.
Just as you would "trust" under-paid, overworked and under appreciated guys (and gals) to serve you burgers at your local burger joint, or check you out at the local clinic, or bag your food at the local grocers, I would definitely trust the care of my car to perfect strangers at the Jiffy Lube.
It's the way of the world. Hire out the work.

knights68
09-01-2007, 03:25 PM
I am pleased to say that my last girlfriend could change her own bulbs in her car.... and without fear of mussing up her nail polish (which were ALWAYS impeccable) or getting close to having dirt under her nails, much less on her skin.

Yeppers, she was definitely a do-it-herself kinda gal at times like those.

I would also be willing to bet she would have changed her own oil and even tuned up her car if she had a manual to go by.

hc5duke
09-01-2007, 04:03 PM
[I]Just as you would "trust" under-paid, overworked and under appreciated guys (and gals) to serve you burgers at your local burger joint, or check you out at the local clinic, or bag your food at the local grocers, I would definitely trust the care of my car to perfect strangers at the Jiffy Lube.
It's the way of the world. Hire out the work.

True, but the difference I think is in the amount of education each job requires. Sure, I would be (somewhat) ok with a teenager making $5/hr serving me a burger. Worst case he'll spit in it, or he'll undercook it (unlikely with the robotic procedures they have at these places) and I'll be sick for a week.
If you get a shady/undereducated mechanic at discount stores, there have been documented cases (with hidden cameras) where they tell you something has been fixed/changed, only to find out later that it was either never done, or made worse (see the consumerist link from above). Here, a more likely worst case is you end up paying $1000s of dollars to repair something else that they messed up at another shop. I do hire out the work when I can't or don't have the time to, just not with Jiffy Lube type of places. With my previous car, I always got my oil changes done at a dealership (Crown Volvo).

bluebutton
09-01-2007, 07:17 PM
It's been a busy week so sorry for the late posting--

Like a lot of the other ladies on this board, there's the sports thing and the auto/power tool thing. On top of that, there's the not just liking to watch Duke basketball but doing athletics. I'm way into competitive sports. My husband takes a couple walks a day and calls it quits (then again his body will probably last longer considering the abuse I've given mine.)

We got married about a year ago and it took a bit to figure out that it was ok (and way more productive) that I should operate the power tools/care for the cars and he should do the dishes and laundry. In defense of his manliness, he writes blow-em-up videos games for a living. Grr. Rrrr. and all that.