PDA

View Full Version : Women's Elite Eight: Duke vs. NotreDame, Tue 4/2, 7:00 p.m. EDT

burnspbesq
03-31-2013, 07:59 PM
I like our chances against the Irish.

dukelifer
03-31-2013, 08:25 PM
I like our chances against the Irish.

Looks to be louisville's day. The women's team is crushing Baylor with 11 to go. Not missing from three.

burnspbesq
03-31-2013, 10:32 PM
(1) Size advantage. Starting lineup vs. starting lineup, we are bigger at four out of five positions. McBride, who is ND's primary wing scoring threat, is only 5'11", and she's not excessively quick. When we are in man, I think Haley can win this matchup on the defensive end with her length. We should also make it a point of emphasis to crash the offensive glass; we could ring up a significant advantage in second-chance points. We should also take a look at putting Haley or AV at the point of the 1-2-2 matchup, where their length can make it very difficult for teams to reverse the ball.

(2) Williams vs. Achonwa. I see this as ND's biggest challenge in preparing for us. I think that if ND leaves Achonwa on an island, EWill will have a huge night. Achonwa is mobile and smart, but she gives up at least 20 pounds to EWill. If the officials allow Elizabeth to operate, advantage Duke. Conversely, if ND helps aggressively, we can play inside-out, and if we are patient and make the extra pass, we can get open looks for the nation's best collection of perimeter shooters.

(3) Zone defense. I expect to see us play a lot of zone on Tuesday. ND is pretty average (33.3 percent) from three, and they take an average of 13 per game. Given that, we can go 1-2-2 to impede ball reversal and help keep Diggins out of the lane.

We'll see what happens on Tuesday.

MCFinARL
04-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Would love to see Duke be the reason there is no fourth Notre Dame U Conn meeting this year--and Geno Auriemma probably wouldn't mind either. We can't afford to start slowly like the last two games though, because it will be much, much harder to come back against Notre Dame.

killerleft
04-01-2013, 10:35 AM
It was a bad call, I think. But no worse than the one Louisville's coach got a technical foul for protesting a few hundred heartbeats before (which took away a basket+1 for Louisville). But the real story was how Kim Mulkey got away with her "professional wrestling manager" tirade after the foul. This was blatant. This should have been automatic ejection. After the game, here's what she had to say:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/baylor-bears/20130331-baylor-s-kim-mulkey-blasts-officials-after-loss-brittney-griner-apologizes-on-twitter.ece

And here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkHENpjU_8

Shoot, even Carolina can't do lack of institutional control like Kim Mulkey can. In addition to those two calls were several others that seemed to favor Baylor on their comeback. Griner knocked a couple of players pretty hard on missed Louisville lay-ups.

Edit: Louisville won, but not before Baylor grabbed the lead. Two free throws sealed it for Louisville.

burnspbesq
04-01-2013, 10:04 PM
If Duke beats ND tomorrow night, we get a rematch with UConn. The Luigis closed the first half against Kentucky with a 26-3 run and cruised to a 30-point win.

uh_no
04-01-2013, 10:18 PM
(1) Size advantage. Starting lineup vs. starting lineup, we are bigger at four out of five positions. McBride, who is ND's primary wing scoring threat, is only 5'11", and she's not excessively quick. When we are in man, I think Haley can win this matchup on the defensive end with her length. We should also make it a point of emphasis to crash the offensive glass; we could ring up a significant advantage in second-chance points. We should also take a look at putting Haley or AV at the point of the 1-2-2 matchup, where their length can make it very difficult for teams to reverse the ball.

(2) Williams vs. Achonwa. I see this as ND's biggest challenge in preparing for us. I think that if ND leaves Achonwa on an island, EWill will have a huge night. Achonwa is mobile and smart, but she gives up at least 20 pounds to EWill. If the officials allow Elizabeth to operate, advantage Duke. Conversely, if ND helps aggressively, we can play inside-out, and if we are patient and make the extra pass, we can get open looks for the nation's best collection of perimeter shooters.

(3) Zone defense. I expect to see us play a lot of zone on Tuesday. ND is pretty average (33.3 percent) from three, and they take an average of 13 per game. Given that, we can go 1-2-2 to impede ball reversal and help keep Diggins out of the lane.

We'll see what happens on Tuesday.

ND's biggest strength is their defensive pressure, though.

While I certainly thing ewill will have an advantage over achonwa, I think the difficulty will be getting the ball there with the pressure.

I think duke's changing defenses has a chance to slow ND down, but I don't think duke has enough on the other end to prevent ND from getting out in transition.

I'll take ND for the win.

that said, I think duke is just the kind of team to beat ND...I mentioned the duke defense, but duke plays smart ball and can hang with teams....they put some great halves together against uconn, and some others...and if they can get one great half and even one mediocre one while preventing ND from going on a big run, I think they have a chance to pull it out.

MCFinARL
04-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Kinda sad to see this buried on the second page three hours from game time. Basketball season isn't over, people!!

DukieInKansas
04-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Kinda sad to see this buried on the second page three hours from game time. Basketball season isn't over, people!!

I'm looking forward to checking in on the game while working late tonight. (Ssssh - don't tell anyone.)

MCFinARL
04-02-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm looking forward to checking in on the game while working late tonight. (Ssssh - don't tell anyone.)

Your secret is safe with me (and the rest of DBR). ;)

wandalee
04-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Up 37-31 at the half. We really played well, especially Tricha & Haley. Let's keep it up!

dukelifer
04-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Duke playing well. Quicker to the ball and attacking. Diggins went on a tear but Duke up by 6 at the half. As good as one might expect. Diggins will not give up. Duke needs to cover her and let the other players try to beat them.

MCFinARL
04-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Over all, some very good play by the Blue Devils. Diggins went out early with 2 fouls, though she was pretty awesome when she came back in. Chloe Wells, who saw most of the minutes at point in the last part of the first half instead of Jones, has been playing extremely well. Now they have to play a full 40 minutes, but if they can, they have a good chance to get to New Orleans.

Let's go Duke!

burnspbesq
04-02-2013, 08:00 PM
ND shooting 32 percent from the floor. Duke plus eight on the glass. Another 20 minutes of solid D and we should be in pretty good shape. Critical that we not allow ND an early run.

dukelifer
04-02-2013, 08:16 PM
ND shooting 32 percent from the floor. Duke plus eight on the glass. Another 20 minutes of solid D and we should be in pretty good shape. Critical that we not allow ND an early run.

Diggins is killing Duke. She is a great player and hitting from deep. Not sure what you can do.

MCFinARL
04-02-2013, 08:17 PM

Well, yes. Unfortunately at this point it is critical that we not allow ND to continue the early run they have put together to eliminate our lead.

mr. synellinden
04-02-2013, 08:18 PM
42-42 - 16 minutes left in the game. Sound familiar?

dukelifer
04-02-2013, 08:20 PM

And just lost Jones with 4 fouls. Looking tough now

MCFinARL
04-02-2013, 08:21 PM

Oh, no, you didn't!

dukelifer
04-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Oh, no, you didn't!

Notre Dame rolling now- Duke can't stop them. Pretty deep hole.

buddy
04-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Chloe Wells settled the team down in the first half. So why is Alexis "A turnover waiting to happen" Jones getting so much burn? Alexis has all the talent in the world, but doesn't seem to understand the game. A turnover on the first play of the second half when she (again) tries to force a pass to the paint, then two consecutive turnovers when she comes back with 4. Joanne needs to figure out how to settle her down.

dukelifer
04-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Chloe Wells settled the team down in the first half. So why is Alexis "A turnover waiting to happen" Jones getting so much burn? Alexis has all the talent in the world, but doesn't seem to understand the game. A turnover on the first play of the second half when she (again) tries to force a pass to the paint, then two consecutive turnovers when she comes back with 4. Joanne needs to figure out how to settle her down.

Missed opportunity for Duke. Duke had a chance to put game pressure on them

_Gary
04-02-2013, 08:54 PM

You realize that I'm now holding you personally responsible for the outcome of this game. ;)

MCFinARL
04-02-2013, 08:55 PM

good question. I think Alexis may lack the experience to handle a situation like this well. Our inability to finish is another problem.

JDukie
04-02-2013, 09:07 PM
good question. I think Alexis may lack the experience to handle a situation like this well. Our inability to finish is another problem.

Alot of mistakes by Alexis but she has led really well in Chelsea's absence. We have as much talent as anyone but seem to lack the fire that it takes to get past this round. Maybe next year with more Seniors they will feel a sense of urgency. Would like to see some flow to our offense and not just trying to win with defense. When we win, we win ugly. I liked it better when we were going to Final Fours and had an exciting offense.

Again, I wish there was a fire and I think that starts at the top.

dukelifer
04-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Alot of mistakes by Alexis but she has led really well in Chelsea's absence. We have as much talent as anyone but seem to lack the fire that it takes to get past this round. Maybe next year with more Seniors they will feel a sense of urgency. Would like to see some flow to our offense and not just trying to win with defense. When we win, we win ugly. I liked it better when we were going to Final Fours and had an exciting offense.

Plenty of fire. But Notre Dame has a great player and she was the difference. Duke's inexperience at PG showed. But Jones is a star and she will be better. Notre Dame will have a tough time trying to beat UConn 4 times in a season. If they do Diggins will be the reason. But UConn will be a tough out.

Duvall
04-02-2013, 09:14 PM

"Lacked the fire"? That's ridiculous.

Duke had plenty of fire, as evidenced by their lead at halftime. What they lacked was an experienced All-American floor general to get good shots and force stops during Notre Dame's second-half run.

DukieInKansas
04-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Thank you, Ladies for another wonderful season. I wish it hadn't ended early - but not as much as you wish it.

Undefeated in Cameron this season, ACC Champions, Elite Eight, and some wonderful individual honors. Congratulations!

dukelifer
04-02-2013, 09:20 PM
"Lacked the fire"? That's ridiculous.

Duke had plenty of fire, as evidenced by their lead at halftime. What they lacked was an experienced All-American floor general to get good shots and force stops during Notre Dame's halftime run.

Exactly. If Notre Dame had lost Diggins as Duke lost Gray - I am pretty sure Duke would have beaten them. The top did pretty well managing that setback.

sporthenry
04-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Oof. I haven't followed the women too much beyond the few games televised and checking box scores but this game felt too much like Sunday. Something to be said for one of two programs who had both men and women reach E8. But they always just seem to be a player away from the top teams. Hopefully they can break through one of these years.

wandalee
04-02-2013, 09:30 PM
We had a great season but just couldn't survive against one of the best players in the country. Congrats, ladies, for staying in the game.

The future is very bright for this team. We only lose Alison and bring in several high-profile freshmen.

Chicago 1995
04-02-2013, 09:36 PM
We lost the ACC POY at point to injury in February, still won the ACC, ACC tourney, made the Elite 8 and got knocked out by the #2 team in the country and people are complaining?

Really?

I don't know how anyone could have realistically expected any more from this team. We gained some great experience tonight and should be poised for a run at the title next year with everything we bring back and what we add.

Great season. Sad to see it end, but losing to ND in a regional final (where we lead for a half even) seems to me to be where the season probably should had ended even had Grey not gotten hurt. That we still got to this point without her is something about which we should laud the team and staff, not criticize them.

ynotme32
04-02-2013, 09:49 PM
We lost the ACC POY at point to injury in February, still won the ACC, ACC tourney, made the Elite 8 and got knocked out by the #2 team in the country and people are complaining?

Really?

I don't know how anyone could have realistically expected any more from this team. We gained some great experience tonight and should be poised for a run at the title next year with everything we bring back and what we add.

Great season. Sad to see it end, but losing to ND in a regional final (where we lead for a half even) seems to me to be where the season probably should had ended even had Grey not gotten hurt. That we still got to this point without her is something about which we should laud the team and staff, not criticize them.

Agree 100%.....the ladies did an amazing job this year, and I for one am very proud of their season. Like the men, I really believe they lost to the better team. Notre Dame has proven it this year beating UCONN 3 times, that's a team that Duke lost to HUGE. So be proud of the women, hold your heads up, the Duke basketball program, men and women, are ELITE! Finally, the Men and Women's team both were the last ones playing in the NCAAT from the ACC, way to represent.

One last note.....they also lasted longer then the all mighty Baylor! :)

burnspbesq
04-02-2013, 10:18 PM
ND shot 62 percent from the floor, including 5 for 7 from three, in the second half. Tale of two halves.

Really looking forward to next season.

-bdbd
04-02-2013, 11:48 PM

Really?

Yep, really agree there! This team absolutely outperformed any REASONABLE expectations after losing their star PG and strong ACC POY candidate. With the loss of AV - who I absolutely love, but who wasn't exactly a major offensive threat - and the addition of one of the best recruiting classes in the country, as well as the return of a healthy Gray, this will be a top-5 preseason program next year. In fact, with the departure of some key talent among this year's "big-4" - Baylor, Stanford, ND and U-con - we have the opportunity next season to be a real National Champion threat.

Should we feel disappointed today? Sure. But there is a LOT of reason to really be looking forward to the next couple years of Duke Women's B-ball!:D

CameronBornAndBred
04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing ND in Cameron. With the addition of them, and then Louisville the following year (two FF teams), the ACC is going to be an insane conference. The regular season champion will have to be the best of...
Duke
Maryland
Miami
ND
UNC
Louisville

Those are 6 solid programs right there. And any given year, any of the other teams can put together an impressive season.

MCFinARL
04-03-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing ND in Cameron. With the addition of them, and then Louisville the following year (two FF teams), the ACC is going to be an insane conference. The regular season champion will have to be the best of...
Duke
Maryland
Miami
ND
UNC
Louisville

Those are 6 solid programs right there. And any given year, any of the other teams can put together an impressive season.

Don't forget Florida State and Syracuse, also solid programs that made the NCAA Tournament field this year. These are teams that could challenge as well.

Lid
04-03-2013, 09:13 AM

Really?

This. If you'd told me when Chelsea went down that Alexis would develop the way she did, and that the team would finish the regular season with only 2 losses, I'd have thought you were being awfully sweet and possibly a bit daft. I'm super disappointed at how the last half of that game played out, but I couldn't be more impressed with how the team regrouped overall and fought through the season. Sure, I join all of the other WBB fans here in hoping we'll play above seed in a tournament again sooner rather than later, but complaining about what this team accomplished is bizarre IMO.

I've enjoyed watching this team and will be in Cameron again next year, with higher expectations and a magic talisman of some sort to ward off injuries. I'm tired of seeing players in sweats.

Congrats to the women for a great season!

MCFinARL
04-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Yep, really agree there! This team absolutely outperformed any REASONABLE expectations after losing their star PG and strong ACC POY candidate. With the loss of AV - who I absolutely love, but who wasn't exactly a major offensive threat - and the addition of one of the best recruiting classes in the country, as well as the return of a healthy Gray, this will be a top-5 preseason program next year. In fact, with the departure of some key talent among this year's "big-4" - Baylor, Stanford, ND and U-con - we have the opportunity next season to be a real National Champion threat.

Should we feel disappointed today? Sure. But there is a LOT of reason to really be looking forward to the next couple years of Duke Women's B-ball!:D

Of course, you are right. This team did very, very well, especially given the loss of Gray. The one thing that they will need to work on, though, if they want to achieve their full potential next year (other than avoiding injury, which of course is more luck than anything else), is playing a fully focused 40 minutes. Against teams they should beat, like our second and third round tournament opponents, Duke has sometimes come out flat and not really gotten going until the second half. Against top teams like UConn and Notre Dame, whether Gray has been playing or not, they have fought hard and done well through the first half but been unable to respond to the other team's halftime adjustments. In these two cases, of course, it may simply be that they couldn't respond because the other team was better--but Duke (players, coaches, program) has to figure out how to get to that level themselves if they want to play in Final Fours.

Many thanks to Allison Vernerey for a Duke career that has been distinguished athletically, academically, and personally. She has been a wonderful representative of Duke.

downeastdad
04-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Sure do hate to see people complaining about a team composed almost exclusively of underclassmen go 33-3, 2 of those losses to top 4 teams, walking through the ACC as regular season and tourney champs (waxing Sylvia three times), and make it to the Elite 8 after losing an all-American point guard. Well done, ladies, and thanks, Allison, for a great four years. Can't wait for next year!
Downeastdad

CameronBornAndBred
04-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Don't forget Florida State and Syracuse, also solid programs that made the NCAA Tournament field this year. These are teams that could challenge as well.
Not forgetting them, just including in my list of "others". UVA and State both used to be perennial powers as well, and have dropped off. I'd love to see those two get back on track to solidify the ACC as THE women's basketball conference.
Even GT has made strides in recent years, I can only imagine the recruiting battles that will be going on between all these schools.

burnspbesq
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Many thanks to Allison Vernerey for a Duke career that has been distinguished athletically, academically, and personally. She has been a wonderful representative of Duke.

D'accord! Merci beaucoup, Allison.

killerleft
04-03-2013, 04:06 PM

I see you've been called out on this already, but that's some Coach P hate talking right there. I certainly didn't see any lack of energy and drive from the Blue Devils. In fact, judging by the way they were still playing with the game supposedly put away by ND, fire was the one thing that we can be sure the Duke Women did NOT lack during this game. Things got tough, we kept playing very hard. What's your definition of "fire"? You got it if you win, you don't if you lose?

buddy
04-03-2013, 07:04 PM
I want to disagree with those who say that after the loss of Gray that this team could not be expected to have done as well as they did. I think that rather had Gray not been hurt, this team had a chance to be a Final Four team. Certainly they might have gotten the last #1 seed. That said, this is a deep team. Only one senior (and she came off the bench) but a group of juniors with immense talent. In my mind, they got exactly to where they should have without Gray. I don't think this team could win a National Championship (although with Baylor losing and a slightly better seed who knows), but this remained a good team without Gray. Gray's absence allowed Jackson more floor time to good advantage. So all things considered, I think this team met expectations (after Gray's injury). Next year is the key. The team has knocked on the door several times. It will be harder with conference expansion, but next year is the year to get to the Final Four (barring injuries).

ForkFondler
04-03-2013, 07:46 PM
I want to disagree with those who say that after the loss of Gray that this team could not be expected to have done as well as they did. I think that rather had Gray not been hurt, this team had a chance to be a Final Four team. Certainly they might have gotten the last #1 seed. That said, this is a deep team. Only one senior (and she came off the bench) but a group of juniors with immense talent. In my mind, they got exactly to where they should have without Gray. I don't think this team could win a National Championship (although with Baylor losing and a slightly better seed who knows), but this remained a good team without Gray. Gray's absence allowed Jackson more floor time to good advantage. So all things considered, I think this team met expectations (after Gray's injury). Next year is the key. The team has knocked on the door several times. It will be harder with conference expansion, but next year is the year to get to the Final Four (barring injuries).

Duke should be preseason #2 next year, a bit behind UConn. The fact that the conference schedule will be harder next year will only help when the NCAA tourney comes around.

uh_no
04-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Duke should be preseason #2 next year, a bit behind UConn. The fact that the conference schedule will be harder next year will only help when the NCAA tourney comes around.

they ought to be #2, I think...with the talent coming back...and they had a good team...they pushed uconn for a half, had ND beat for a half with chelsea out.

ND and baylor will still be very good, but they're each losing by far their most important pieces.

It will certainly help us get more of an impression of duke going in to the tournament. I'd imagine they'd try to get 2 games between duke and ND, but who knows, and I'd imagine uconn and duke would still want to play...plus games with UL, MD, UNC all to be very legitimate tests.

ONe thing is sure, without griner, the landscape in women's basketball changes a lot.

msdukie
04-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Please note, the odds of Duke winning the national championship next year are actually a billion times higher than the odds of Duke ever playing Maryland AND Louisville in the same ACC season (see posts above).

uh_no
04-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Please note, the odds of Duke winning the national championship next year are actually a billion times higher than the odds of Duke ever playing Maryland AND Louisville in the same ACC season (see posts above).

UL's another year away yet?

i can't keep the years straight.

is it 2013?

CameronBornAndBred
04-04-2013, 12:48 PM
That is true, but we still have to deal with the twerps one more year. And you never know, we might beat Louisville for the national title. :)