PDA

View Full Version : Duke Achieves Third Consecutive #1 NCSA Ranking

4decadedukie
08-22-2007, 07:34 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1157692

Probably worthy of note, for the third consecutive year Duke has achieved the top rating in the NCSA's "Power Ranking," which is an arithmetic aggregation of graduation rate, Sears Director's Cup rank, and US News undergraduate university standing. Following Duke, in the top-ten, were: Notre Dame, Stanford, Northwestern, Harvard, Princeton, Vanderbilt, Wake, BC, and Yale. That's an impressive cohort.

No doubt, this significant achievement of balance and excellence will greatly please the G88 (and their ilk).
:rolleyes:

yancem
08-22-2007, 09:44 AM
I looked down the list to see which schools were ranked in the top 10 in the different categories and noticed that Drury University was ranked 9th in athletics? Who/where the ___ is Drury University? I have never even heard of them. They're ranked 272 in academics so they're obviously not a power house in the class room but how can a division 1 school I haven't even heard of get a top ten rank in athletics? Do they completely rule the non revenue sports?

Anyway to get back on track, go Duke, congratulations.

Indoor66
08-22-2007, 09:56 AM
I looked down the list to see which schools were ranked in the top 10 in the different categories and noticed that Drury University was ranked 9th in athletics? Who/where the ___ is Drury University? I have never even heard of them. They're ranked 272 in academics so they're obviously not a power house in the class room but how can a division 1 school I haven't even heard of get a top ten rank in athletics? Do they completely rule the non revenue sports?

In answer: Drury is a liberal arts U. in Springfield, MO - about 1,700 students (per Google search).

Props due to Athletic coaches, Administration as well as the general U faculty and Administration, the student and athletes. Go Duke.

Bluedog
08-22-2007, 12:02 PM

Drury is a Division II school, not D1. That's why you haven't heard of it. http://www.ncsasports.org/college-recruiting%5Cpower-rankings%5C?tab=2&year=2007

JG Nothing
08-22-2007, 02:02 PM
No doubt, this significant achievement of balance and excellence will greatly please the G88 (and their ilk).
:rolleyes:

Thanks for including a completely gratuitous snide remark about the so-called "Group of 88." Of the several members of the group and "their ilk" that I know, most are sports fans and/or not opposed to Division I sports at Duke. I am not sure why you want to foster animosity instead of helping to heal the Duke community. I am also not sure why the moderators allow unsubstantiated and defamatory insinuations to stand.

4decadedukie
08-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks for including a completely gratuitous snide remark about the so-called "Group of 88." Of the several members of the group and "their ilk" that I know, most are sports fans and/or not opposed to Division I sports at Duke. I am not sure why you want to foster animosity instead of helping to heal the Duke community. I am also not sure why the moderators allow unsubstantiated and defamatory insinuations to stand.

JG Nothing,

If you were to review my many DBR posts re the Lacrosse Hoax – and you are welcome to by using the site’s “search” capabilities – I am certain you would find my contributions re Duke leaders and faculty have been among the most moderate and forbearing. Similarly, the written and verbal counsel I have provided to senior Administrators and to Trustees has always emphasized tolerance and always rejected any type of draconian actions. In sum, I absolutely do not wish to “foster animosity instead of helping to heal the Duke community.”

With this said, however, I believe many G88 members (as well as some other faculty and administrators) would prefer Duke alter its balance between scholastic (and other “intellectually-based” non-academic activities) and athletic/social pursuits, to become more pedagogically focused. Along with countless others, I believe this would undermine the University's fundamental character, one that has been crucial in the Duke advancing so far, so fast. I base this belief on over a decade in positions of University volunteer leadership (VP and Executive Committee member of the Alumni Association, Annual Fund Executive Committee member, Fuqua Alumni Council member, and so forth) and the MANY resulting discussions I have had with faculty members and senior officials.

In addition, I find the G88’s continuing unwillingness simply to admit that they were wrong and to express regret for “fostering animosity” (to use your exact words) appalling. I can appreciate why – in the early days of the fiasco – they jumped to the wrong conclusion, but I cannot understand their cowardly (in my opinion) aversion to acknowledging their errors and to apologizing.

yancem
08-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Drury is a Division II school, not D1. That's why you haven't heard of it. http://www.ncsasports.org/college-recruiting%5Cpower-rankings%5C?tab=2&year=2007

I wonder why they were included with the division 1 schools. That seems odd.

dukemomLA
08-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Yikes -- and over SIX POINTS beyond #2. Amazing. GO DUKE!! Kudos from fans and alum everywhere!!!!!