PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker redux?

clinresga
03-30-2013, 01:24 PM
From today's LA Times, in the story on Steve Alford's hiring: "freshman center Tony Parker is considering transferring." Not surprising given his disappointing freshman year.

So...after that performance, anyone think that Duke might still be interested? And, contrarily, do you think Tony might still have us on the short list? A legitimate 5 would still be nice in 2014.

Kedsy
03-30-2013, 01:32 PM
From today's LA Times, in the story on Steve Alford's hiring: "freshman center Tony Parker is considering transferring." Not surprising given his disappointing freshman year.

So...after that performance, anyone think that Duke might still be interested? And, contrarily, do you think Tony might still have us on the short list? A legitimate 5 would still be nice in 2014.

You mean 2014-15? No way Parker will be eligible next season, right? And by 2014-15, I can't imagine Tony Parker would be all that high on the Duke depth chart, and he doesn't seem like the kind of kid who'd be willing to wait until 2016 (or later) to get playing time.

Besides, Parker supposedly has been considering transferring for quite some time now. I'd be surprised if Duke had any interest.

FerryFor50
03-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Very unlikely he ends up at Duke. He likely will go to Georgia if he transfers.

clinresga
03-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Very unlikely he ends up at Duke. He likely will go to Georgia if he transfers.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I still have Duke "legitimate center" envy. Longing for the Elton Brand (or for that matter, the Mike Giminski) days. But maybe Marshall...

BD80
03-30-2013, 03:06 PM
You mean 2014-15? No way Parker will be eligible next season, right? And by 2014-15, I can't imagine Tony Parker would be all that high on the Duke depth chart, and he doesn't seem like the kind of kid who'd be willing to wait until 2016 (or later) to get playing time.

Besides, Parker supposedly has been considering transferring for quite some time now. I'd be surprised if Duke had any interest.

A year at the Duke weight loss center couldn't hurt ...

BD80
03-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Sounds like TP would be stuck to the bench anyway:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21977663/new-mexicos-kirk-message-to-ad-im-gone-if-you-dont-hire-craig-neal

Alford's former center, 7' Alex Kirk, is set to graduate from NM in August with a year of eligibility left, and is contemplating playing next year at UCLA under Alford.

Kedsy
03-30-2013, 03:52 PM
I think I still have Duke "legitimate center" envy.

Mason having an All American season at center didn't slake that thirst for you?

NashvilleDevil
03-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I think I still have Duke "legitimate center" envy. Longing for the Elton Brand (or for that matter, the Mike Giminski) days. But maybe Marshall...

You mean those legitimate centers at Duke who never won a title?

langdonfan
03-30-2013, 04:21 PM

Hmmm...Duke has had Boozer, Williams, and Mason since Brand...I'm confused...

Newton_14
03-30-2013, 05:05 PM

Any chance he gets a waiver to play right away due to Howland getting fired? Speaking of that, under what circumstance was Dez Wells allowed to play this year for the Terpers? I did not understand that. His coach did not leave or anything.

CDu
03-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Any chance he gets a waiver to play right away due to Howland getting fired?

Not really much chance of that. The NCAA has set several examples of precedent in this scenario. Players can transfer, but they must sit out the year. Remember: we were considering adding Trey Zeigler, but he was not granted immediate eligibility.

Speaking of that, under what circumstance was Dez Wells allowed to play this year for the Terpers? I did not understand that. His coach did not leave or anything.

Wells applied for a waiver after being expelled from Xavier. The expulsion was based on sexual assault charges that were ultimately rejected by a grand jury. So I assume that his case was based on those extenuating circumstances.

clinresga
03-30-2013, 05:32 PM

Wow--should have been more careful about my reminiscing! I greatly appreciate what Mason has done this year--my worries have been more about whether Marshall will be an adequate complement to the plethora of gifted players at the 1-2-3, and possibly 4 positions next year. And similarly, no disrespect to Boozer and Williams. The reasons for the ones I mentioned are that Gminski was the center when I arrived in Durham, and I'm a Philly boy and Sixer fan, thus the Brand connection. And yes, I realize that Tony P has been as much of a bust as any top 25 (or was it 27?) recruit this year. So, I know I need to give Marshall the benefit of the doubt for the next three seasons. Though is it wrong to still have Jahlil envy?

CDu
03-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Wow--should have been more careful about my reminiscing! I greatly appreciate what Mason has done this year--my worries have been more about whether Marshall will be an adequate complement to the plethora of gifted players at the 1-2-3, and possibly 4 positions next year. And similarly, no disrespect to Boozer and Williams. The reasons for the ones I mentioned are that Gminski was the center when I arrived in Durham, and I'm a Philly boy and Sixer fan, thus the Brand connection. And yes, I realize that Tony P has been as much of a bust as any top 25 (or was it 27?) recruit this year. So, I know I need to give Marshall the benefit of the doubt for the next three seasons. Though is it wrong to still have Jahlil envy?

Okafor is a Chicago guy. I read somewhere that Coach K doesn't lose out on guys he recruits from Chicago. So hopefully that bodes well for our chances of landing Okafor.

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-30-2013, 05:49 PM

and Zoubek.

Greg_Newton
03-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Not really much chance of that. The NCAA has set several examples of precedent in this scenario. Players can transfer, but they must sit out the year. Remember: we were considering adding Trey Zeigler, but he was not granted immediate eligibility.

Zeigler actually was (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/pittsburgh-trey-zeigler-receives-waiver-him-eligible-away-220952239.html)granted a waiver, but the fired-coach precedent seems to be limited to players whose coaches were also their fathers.

In any case, I would be absolutely shocked if we were still interested in Parker after how that all went down.

Mudge
03-30-2013, 06:10 PM

Wells applied for a waiver after being expelled from Xavier. The expulsion was based on sexual assault charges that were ultimately rejected by a grand jury. So I assume that his case was based on those extenuating circumstances.

I was wondering about Wells-- also Mark Lyons, who also left Xavier last year, and played immediately this year for Arizona (that would have been some backcourt, had X not kicked them out)... and there was another one of these that I ran across this year (name escapes me, but I don't think it was a Kirk/New Mexico/extra year after graduating thing-- was it the big kid from Wake, Woods at Oregon-- or somebody else? It just seems like all of sudden, everybody (except Duke- with Curry and the Miss. St. transfer, and Dahntay Jones) is getting an exception to the alleged rule... why is that?

sagegrouse
03-30-2013, 06:39 PM
I was wondering about Wells-- also Mark Lyons, who also left Xavier last year, and played immediately this year for Arizona (that would have been some backcourt, had X not kicked them out)... and there was another one of these that I ran across this year (name escapes me, but I don't think it was a Kirk/New Mexico/extra year after graduating thing-- was it the big kid from Wake, Woods at Oregon-- or somebody else? It just seems like all of sudden, everybody (except Duke- with Curry and the Miss. St. transfer, and Dahntay Jones) is getting an exception to the alleged rule... why is that?

There were a couple of transfers from Rice University that attracted notice. Arsalan Kazemi, the first native Iranian to play NCAA hoops, played at Oregon this season without sitting out, as did Egyptian Omar Oraby, who played at Southern California.

From Rice presser:

In September 2012, two student-athletes received permission from Rice to
transfer to the University of Southern California and the University of
Oregon. Both schools have sought a waiver of the NCAA’s one-year
residency rule so that the students can compete in the upcoming
basketball season. Unfortunately, USC and Oregon have included in those
waiver applications meritless allegations of discrimination, including
some previously asserted by a former assistant basketball coach whose
contract was not renewed last spring.
sagegrouse

FerryFor50
03-30-2013, 06:57 PM
There were a couple of transfers from Rice University that attracted notice. Arsalan Kazemi, the first native Iranian to play NCAA hoops, played at Oregon this season without sitting out, as did Egyptian Omar Oraby, who played at Southern California.

From Rice presser:

sagegrouse

The Iranian kids got a waiver because the AD at Rice is allegedly a racist.

http://m.si.com/2536545/oregons-arsalan-kazemi-alleged-racial-discrimination-while-at-rice/

dukelifer
03-31-2013, 08:30 AM
Okafor is a Chicago guy. I read somewhere that Coach K doesn't lose out on guys he recruits from Chicago. So hopefully that bodes well for our chances of landing Okafor.

Or Chris Collins does not miss. We will see if the Chicago magic remains.

em0526
03-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Is his press conference done already?

CDu
03-31-2013, 10:34 AM
Zeigler actually was (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/pittsburgh-trey-zeigler-receives-waiver-him-eligible-away-220952239.html)granted a waiver, but the fired-coach precedent seems to be limited to players whose coaches were also their fathers.

In any case, I would be absolutely shocked if we were still interested in Parker after how that all went down.

Forgot about that, but you're right. And yes, the precedent seems to apply only to those whose fathers were fired as coach of the team:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/historical-precedent-suggests-trey-zeigler-may-play-away-203818196.html

sagegrouse
03-31-2013, 12:09 PM
I can't stand Tony Parker -- and I am usually tolerant of kids. So, how about calling this thread "Tony Parker Reflux?"

sagegrouse

slower
03-31-2013, 12:12 PM

In that vein, Mitch McGary has been looking VERY good lately.

FerryFor50
03-31-2013, 03:06 PM
In that vein, Mitch McGary has been looking VERY good lately.

I think McGary wouldn't have been as good at Duke because he'd foul out of a lot of games. He gets away with a lot of contact at Michigan...

COYS
03-31-2013, 03:10 PM
I think McGary wouldn't have been as good at Duke because he'd foul out of a lot of games. He gets away with a lot of contact at Michigan...

That may or may not be true, but if his goal was to be featured early and often in his career, he made the right choice. Even with Ryan's injury, he would not have played as much this year at duke as he has at Michigan.

FerryFor50
03-31-2013, 03:13 PM
That may or may not be true, but if his goal was to be featured early and often in his career, he made the right choice. Even with Ryan's injury, he would not have played as much this year at duke as he has at Michigan.

I dunno. His rebounding and hustle would have earned him minutes, I think.

mr. synellinden
03-31-2013, 03:26 PM

He only began starting a few games ago. He's had an Elliot Williams-like freshman year. He's really blossomed during the tourney. I posted in another thread about how much he would strengthen this Duke team and how well he'd fit in to our expected lineup next year.

A starting five of McGary, Parker, Hood, Sulaimon and Cook would be imposing.