PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. Louisville NCAA Elite 8 (5:05pm EDT) CBS Pre-Game&In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

pfrduke
03-30-2013, 12:14 AM
21 years later, K and Pitino meet again.

hurleyfor3
03-30-2013, 12:15 AM
I believe.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2013, 12:16 AM
If we continue our newfound defense, I see no reason it shouldn't be a great game.

Go Duke!

NashvilleDevil
03-30-2013, 12:16 AM
Let the hand wringing begin!

SCMatt33
03-30-2013, 12:17 AM
Two early thoughts:

1) This is the first time in 10 years ('03 vs. Kansas) that Duke will wear road unis in the tourney. Will they go black or blue?

2) Quinn Cook had a really bad game tonight. In November, he had his coming out party against Louisville by orchestrating the offense and really closed them out with the stallfense. We'll need him to pick it up on Sunday.

jmck214
03-30-2013, 12:17 AM
I am guessing Duke will be around a 4 point underdog. I have been a Duke fan for 19 years and Duke is 0-2 as underdogs in the NCAAT. 03 Kansas and 04 UCONN. I can't remember if Duke was a dog vs 1 seeded Purdue in 94. Anyone remeber?

sporthenry
03-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Biggest thing will be turnovers. Dieng being back will give Mason some trouble but he can dominate anyone on any given night. But Duke doesn't get a ton at the rim. Keep Louisville from easy baskets and Duke happens to be one of the best teams at protecting the ball so should be a good game.

Udaman
03-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Any doubts now as to what the best region was? Any doubt at all?

This should be a great game. We have the guards to beat their press, and quick big guys to run with them. We also have the defense to stop them, and they don't have the killer penetrating point guard that we struggle with. Fact is most teams don't have two big guys like Plumlee and Kelly that can run the floor. That gives us a fighter's chance against them.

DU82
03-30-2013, 12:21 AM
It's Duke vs. Louisville, not Duke vs. Pitino. Could a moderator PLEASE correct the header. It's not 1992! It's about the teams and players.

Game time already announced as 5:05. No surprise as this is the only 1 vs. 2. Plus, our women play at 2:30, so I'm glad they didn't give us a conflict.

Udaman
03-30-2013, 12:29 AM
Some really interesting stats from the first game we had with them this year:

1) We only shot 43% from the floor, and only 5 for 20 from three point range.

2) Louisville shot 45% and we basically controlled the entire game.

3) We shot 23 of 27 from the free throw line - which shows how well we beat their press (when we did, they fouled us a lot).

4) Perhaps most importantly.....we had 13 assists on 24 made baskets. Again, passing the ball against the press. Louisville only had 6 assists on 30 made baskets. They shot a bunch of jump shots, that was basically it.

We did have 14 turnovers in the game. A lot, but not awful.

To beat Louisville we basically need similar stats. We need 12 plus assists, and we need them to have less than 10. We don't need to take a bunch of threes. Not necessary to beat their press.

Udaman
03-30-2013, 12:30 AM
By the way....really glad we have the 5 p.m. game. It means the players get 2 full mornings to sleep in. A 2 p.m. tipoff would have been tough.

75Crazie
03-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Quinn Cook had a really bad game tonight. In November, he had his coming out party against Louisville by orchestrating the offense and really closed them out with the stallfense. We'll need him to pick it up on Sunday.
Quinn was the X factor in that game, without him we wouldn't have won even without Dieng on the floor. I hope he takes a good look at the tape from that game and comes out with the same mindset Sunday, because we badly need that Quinn Cook this time.

NashvilleDevil
03-30-2013, 12:51 AM
Johnny, Mark, Dave, Jay, Tommy and an 8 year old me. Let's do this

the_grad_student
03-30-2013, 12:59 AM
There seems to be some health issues that Louisville is dealing with that is affecting 6 of the players on team. I'd hate for this to affect what is going to be an incredible matchup

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2013/3/29/4163528/louisville-players-battling-illness-in-indianapolis-sick-ncaa-tournament

RaiderDevil
03-30-2013, 01:01 AM

I was 12 and cried all night.....

stevoflurane
03-30-2013, 01:04 AM
What do you all think the over/under for the phrase "but they didn't have Dieng" will be in the next 40 hrs?

Kedsy
03-30-2013, 01:22 AM
I am guessing Duke will be around a 4 point underdog. I have been a Duke fan for 19 years and Duke is 0-2 as underdogs in the NCAAT. 03 Kansas and 04 UCONN. I can't remember if Duke was a dog vs 1 seeded Purdue in 94. Anyone remeber?

I believe we were and also against Arkansas in 1994. Also in 1991 vs. UNLV, 1990 against UConn and UNLV, 1989 against Georgetown, and 1988 vs. Temple, and probably some others I can't remember off the top of my head.

hurleyfor3
03-30-2013, 01:31 AM
I believe we were and also against Arkansas in 1994. Also in 1991 vs. UNLV, 1990 against UConn and UNLV, 1989 against Georgetown, and 1988 vs. Temple, and probably some others I can't remember off the top of my head.

No legal wagering permitted in unlv games back then, however.

uh_no
03-30-2013, 01:34 AM
just getting back to the hotel after today's session I have this to say:

it ain't gonna be a home game.

butler 3 years ago was NOTHING compared to what UL brought today and will likely bring twice over sunday.

expect 95% louisville fans at least....very few duke fans in attendence.

chaosmage
03-30-2013, 01:52 AM
By the way....really glad we have the 5 p.m. game. It means the players get 2 full mornings to sleep in. A 2 p.m. tipoff would have been tough.

Our family get-together starts at 3. Been banned from the game unless the climate goes that way. Happy for the team though; GO DUKE!!!!

AncientPsychicT
03-30-2013, 01:54 AM
Considering we met Louisville in the Battle 4 Atlantis...

Should we call this the Battle 4 Atlanta?

:cool:

davekay1971
03-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Considering we met Louisville in the Battle 4 Atlantis...

Should we call this the Battle 4 Atlanta?

:cool:

YES! I love it. Battle 4 Atlanta it is.

This article linked from Luke Winn (best college basketball analyst writing on the Internet?). As usual, Winn is dead on accurate.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130330/duke-michigan-state-sweet-16-ncaa-tournament/?sct=hp_t11_a6&eref=sihp

OldPhiKap
03-30-2013, 08:47 AM

I was on the quad with the jumbotron, and probably did the same.

dukelifer
03-30-2013, 08:56 AM

butler 3 years ago was NOTHING compared to what UL brought today and will likely bring twice over sunday.

And a much more rowdy group. Duke just needs to keep it close and win the end of the game with good free throw shooting.

dukelifer
03-30-2013, 08:59 AM
There seems to be some health issues that Louisville is dealing with that is affecting 6 of the players on team. I'd hate for this to affect what is going to be an incredible matchup

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2013/3/29/4163528/louisville-players-battling-illness-in-indianapolis-sick-ncaa-tournament

Well Duke is dealing with two gimpy seniors. You play with the guys you have.

Troublemaker
03-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Plus, as Luke Winn points out, by gametime Louisville might've convalesced and Duke might be the ones who are sick.

The Cardinals better not have gotten our boys sick.

sagegrouse
03-30-2013, 09:05 AM

Yeh, and when Bob Verga got the flu in 1966, Adolph Rupp said that one of his guards was so sick he was hospitalized. He played the entire game; Verga was totally ineffective.

Oh my! The unfairness of the mysterious coughs affecting the poor Lullville team! Whatever will Pitino do? Maybe the NCAA will postpone the game 48 hours so his players can get well.

sagegrouse

roywhite
03-30-2013, 09:09 AM

Just thinking about the scene down the road in Lexington; won't be an easy one to view for Coach Cal, and the Big Blue faithful.
Watching two of the top teams on their hate list compete for a trip to the Final Four, plus Pitino, Coach K, and frequent references to 1992 and Christian Laettner.

Bob Green
03-30-2013, 09:11 AM

You were not alone. A lot of people cried that night including me. The difference is I was 26 with tears rolling down my cheeks as time expired.

Bob Green
03-30-2013, 09:18 AM
We must STOP THE BALL! Louisville relentlessly pressures opponent's defense by grabbing rebounds and pushing the ball all the way to the rim. If we can stop the ball and force them to execute their half court offense, they are less effective.

On offense, it is going to take an extra pass to find the open shooter. Louisville is quick responding to ball movement. Making the extra pass and knocking down open shots is mandatory.

subzero02
03-30-2013, 09:28 AM
We 3.5 point underdogs... I think we win this game and reach the final four

jipops
03-30-2013, 09:40 AM

I was 13 and I was crushed for weeks. Sitting at the airport in Dallas waiting for the ride home I felt nothing but sadness (though I was lucky I got to go in the first place). I'll never forget David Henderson's expression after that game.

Go Duke!

NashvilleDevil
03-30-2013, 09:47 AM
I was 13 and I was crushed for weeks. Sitting at the airport in Dallas waiting for the ride home I felt nothing but sadness (though I was lucky I got to go in the first place). I'll never forget David Henderson's expression after that game.

Go Duke!

I've never watched the game. For some unknown reason my parents thought it would be a good idea to send their 8 year old son to bed and not let him watch his favorite team play for the title. Johnny was and still is my favorite Duke player and that team is still my favorite Duke team. I still give my parents a hard time about making me go to bed, telling them Duke would've won if I was watching.

7duke4
03-30-2013, 09:58 AM

Go Duke!

I was watching at a bar in Denver with friends and my then-husband. Folks out there don't really get basketball. I fled to the bathroom in tears at the end of the game. When I composed myself and came back, he and my so-called friends teased me mercilessly about being a sore loser. Yeah, I divorced him and moved back east.

jv001
03-30-2013, 10:01 AM
We must STOP THE BALL! Louisville relentlessly pressures opponent's defense by grabbing rebounds and pushing the ball all the way to the rim. If we can stop the ball and force them to execute their half court offense, they are less effective.

On offense, it is going to take an extra pass to find the open shooter. Louisville is quick responding to ball movement. Making the extra pass and knocking down open shots is mandatory.

Louisville has a goal of so many(35?) deflections on defense and they usually reach that goal. We must take care of the ball. That will mean our bigs will have to help against the press and Quinn needs his head in the game(focus). One of the announcers said that they disguise their press by alternating between zone and man to man. Against the man to man dribbling get's it done and against the zone passing get's it done. We can do this! GoDuke!

oldnavy
03-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Louisville has a goal of so many(35?) deflections on defense and they usually reach that goal. We must take care of the ball. That will mean our bigs will have to help against the press and Quinn needs his head in the game(focus). One of the announcers said that they disguise their press by alternating between zone and man to man. Against the man to man dribbling get's it done and against the zone passing get's it done. We can do this! GoDuke!

Back door cuts!! Best way to attach over play on defense. I wonder if this will be part of our attack plan on O?

jv001
03-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Back door cuts!! Best way to attach over play on defense. I wonder if this will be part of our attack plan on O?

Another great weapon against the press and aggressive man to man. Good get. GoDuke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2013, 10:12 AM

This this this, all day this. Our NCAA losses in recent years have coalesced in my brain into one guy, slashing across the lane, getting past our guards, and either getting to the rim with no problem, or somehow crossing up our bigs so that they can get an open 8 footer.

I LOVE the defense we have suddenly discovered in the last few games, and it makes me think that we can end the nightmare that plays in my head when I think of those games, but Louisville has two guys in Smith and Siva who certainly fit the bill. If we can stay in front of these guys and crash the defensive boards like we did last night, I am hopeful for a very good game. If our perimeter defenders find themselves half a step slow, it could be a bad thing.

We are overdue for our offense to catch fire. I'd love to see what happens if we play our hardcore defense AND have our boys hitting on all cylinders on offense.

Go Duke!

Sluggo
03-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Does anyone know who Coach Izzo's son picked in this game ;)

Tripping William
03-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Louisville. Gulp. It's over. (Channeling all historic anti-weauxfgodness at once.) :)

CDu
03-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Three keys to this game for Duke:
- Value the basketball: Louisville does much of their damage by forcing turnovers and creating easy transition buckets. We can't give the game to them by making mistakes against their press.
- Get back in transition: As noted above, Louisville will look to push tempo as much as possible. On misses, we have to get back. I'd be willing to concede the offensive glass entirely to prevent them from getting fast breaks.
- Shoot better: in the first matchup against Louisville, we shot just 5-20 from 3pt range. I expect Louisville to be better than the first time we met them, so we'll need to shoot better to win.

If we do those three things, I think we stand a very good chance of winning. Louisville is not a terribly impressive team in the half court offense. And if you can beat their press, they can be had defensively. But they are lethal in transition. If we're sloppy, they'll punish us. We just can't be sloppy.

The good thing is that we are potentially a terrible matchup for Louisville. We will have 4-5 guys on the floor who are all capable ballhandlers, and our two main bigs are both good ballhandlers and good passers. That makes us harder to press than most teams. That played to our advantage in November. Hopefully it will do so again in March.

chrishoke
03-30-2013, 10:40 AM
I am just sitting here thinking, we are so lucky to be Duke fans. Savor every moment - so delicious.

arnie
03-30-2013, 10:52 AM
I am just sitting here thinking, we are so lucky to be Duke fans. Savor every moment - so delicious.

Yep! Didn't think we'd get this far. Everything else is gravy.

MChambers
03-30-2013, 11:02 AM
If Duke inbounds the ball in the final seconds needing a score, Pitino will cover the player throwing the inbounds pass.

Beyond that, I think this game could go either way. I recall Ryan and Mason doing a very good job against the press when these teams met earlier. Hope they do it again and we make Louisville pay with easy buckets.

CDu
03-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Yep! Didn't think we'd get this far. Everything else is gravy.

I said this in (perhaps) another thread, but I think it needs repeating.

Going into the season, if you'd said that we'd win 30 games and make the Elite-8, and that the only possible thing that could keep us from the Final Four would be a loss to the #1 team in the country, I'd have said it was a fantastic season. Under no circumstances should we forget how much this team achieved based on how little was expected. Many people were questioning whether we should even be a top-20 team, for crying out loud. Yet had Kelly been healthy all year it is very possible (probable even?) that we're a #1 seed. Just a really impressive season.

There is no doubt in my mind that we can win the national championship this year. I think we're the 2nd best team left in the tournament, and I think we're a VERY close second. Unfortunately, we have to face the best team left in the tournament on Sunday. We'll be slight underdogs. But we can absolutely win this game. And I think (or maybe I just hope) we'll win.

Here's hoping to a resurgent game from Kelly and Cook to get us to Atlanta!

OldPhiKap
03-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Key to the game: hope Digger takes Louisville.

MChambers
03-30-2013, 11:14 AM

Going into the season, if you'd said that we'd win 30 games and make the Elite-8, and that the only possible thing that could keep us from the Final Four would be a loss to the #1 team in the country, I'd have said it was a fantastic season. Under no circumstances should we forget how much this team achieved based on how little was expected. Many people were questioning whether we should even be a top-20 team, for crying out loud. Yet had Kelly been healthy all year it is very possible (probable even?) that we're a #1 seed. Just a really impressive season.

There is no doubt in my mind that we can win the national championship this year. I think we're the 2nd best team left in the tournament, and I think we're a VERY close second. Unfortunately, we have to face the best team left in the tournament on Sunday. We'll be slight underdogs. But we can absolutely win this game. And I think (or maybe I just hope) we'll win.

My head agrees with you, although it seems that every time I think this team is really good, they lay an egg. So I am trying very hard to keep my expectations for tomorrow low and to just enjoy the success thus far.

OldPhiKap
03-30-2013, 11:15 AM

Excellent reminder.

From my perspective, if Duke and Louisville are the two best teams, we gotta play 'em sooner or later. Tomorrow is as good a time as any. Go Duke!

CDu
03-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Excellent reminder.

From my perspective, if Duke and Louisville are the two best teams, we gotta play 'em sooner or later. Tomorrow is as good a time as any. Go Duke!

Well, I'd always rather play the best team as late as possible. For one thing, that means we've made it further in the tournament. For another, it means that if we win, we are closer to (if not already achieving) the championship.

It stinks that we have to play Louisville in the Elite-8. I'd have rather they been on the other side of the bracket. That way we could more easily have avoided them altogether.

But alas, no fortune there. We'll just have to find a way to get it done tomorrow.

Chris Randolph
03-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Nice article from Luke Winn at SI, I enjoy his perspective and writing:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130330/duke-michigan-state-sweet-16-ncaa-tournament/?sct=hp_t12_a5&eref=sihp

As far as the Louisville game is concerned, they have looked great through 3 games in the tournament. They have yet to really be challenged and had real game pressure down the stretch. That always makes a difference on those jump shots.

As always it takes a total team effort. Our defensive intensity and intent on rebounding must be the same for Lousiville as it was for Sparty. If it is not, then we will struggle to keep up for the full 40 minutes. I am confident in Mason, Sheed and Seth to find ways to get points. This game more than likely will be decided on Quinn's ability to handle pressure and hit some shots, and Ryan's ability to knock down a couple threes. Can't wait for the game, the de-facto National Championship

Troublemaker
03-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Excellent reminder.

I didn't want them on the quick turnaround. I think facing them in the S16 or FF round would've been better (not that a S16 matchup was really possible given how good both teams' reg seasons were, and there's a "duh" factor to "I'd rather play them in the FF" because then we'd be in the FF).

Others have pointed out that Seth hasn't played well at all this season on short rest, understandably. And Ryan probably doesn't have full conditioning back yet. And Louisville is probably the worst team in the country to play on short rest and without full conditioning because of their historically great defensive pressure (best defense in KenPom history). I also don't like that we played physical MSU beforehand and they played Oregon.

I think given 3-4 days rest for both teams, this is a 50/50 game because Duke's ball-handling 1 thru 5 is just the right weapon to have against Louisville's pressure D. But, on this quick turnaround, I have it pegged at 40/60. I really worry about the last 5 minutes of the game. Louisville might dominate down the stretch. This is the type of situation where I could see Duke coughing up a 10-point lead with 5 minutes left or something like that. It wouldn't be due to bad coaching or player choking or anything like that.

But what can you do? That's the hand that was dealt to us. Hopefully Duke can overcome and win anyway.

Troublemaker
03-30-2013, 12:01 PM
The MSU game was a Thornton-type game and thankfully he thrived. This Louisville game is a Cook game and he needs to play well. We absolutely need Quinn's ball-handling against Lville's historically great pressure. He's also the most well-rested of our top 6 players. We need his shots to go down and we need Kelly to finally hit the three as well. The non-Curry players have to all score at or above their averages because it's very predictable that Curry will be below-average on short rest, given the evidence this season. (Now, if Seth happens to overcome the short rest on his bum leg to produce another high-scoring game, then that's gravy. And Seth would then be Midwest Region MOP and a Duke legend regardless of anything else that happened this tournament. But I don't think we can count it. I think we need to plan on Seth being a bit below average, and everyone else needs to step up).

TruBlu
03-30-2013, 12:09 PM
I was watching at a bar in Denver with friends and my then-husband. Folks out there don't really get basketball. I fled to the bathroom in tears at the end of the game. When I composed myself and came back, he and my so-called friends teased me mercilessly about being a sore loser. Yeah, I divorced him and moved back east.

I attended the game in Dallas, then went to a bar . . . and another . . . and another. Worst hangover I ever had.

duke80
03-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Well, I'd always rather play the best team as late as possible. For one thing, that means we've made it further in the tournament. For another, it means that if we win, we are closer to (if not already achieving) the championship.

It stinks that we have to play Louisville in the Elite-8. I'd have rather they been on the other side of the bracket. That way we could more easily have avoided them altogether.

But alas, no fortune there. We'll just have to find a way to get it done tomorrow.

Hey CDU, always enjoy your posts. I feel good being able to watch this team after how they showed up the first 3 games.
They are clearly intent on leaving everything on the floor playing their best game and focused on prep and match ups.

I'm OK with facing Louisville although I'd rather our path be easier. I am learning that there is no such thing in the tournament.
It's the nature of the beast. Any team can win or lose any game. Wasn't it a regional final where Laettner hit 'the shot' against
Kentucky? I may be wrong here but that game is burned on my memory forever.

Win or lose I just want to see them compete hard one more game and hopefully we come out on top. Here is to a good game tomorrow.

subzero02
03-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Excellent reminder.

That's been my mindset since the midwest teams were announced on selection sunday... I was expecting this matchup all along

BD80
03-30-2013, 12:41 PM

So it must not have happened :rolleyes:

I didn't want them on the quick turnaround. ...

Others have pointed out that Seth hasn't played well at all this season on short rest, understandably. And Ryan probably doesn't have full conditioning back yet. And Louisville is probably the worst team in the country to play on short rest and without full conditioning because of their historically great defensive pressure (best defense in KenPom history). I also don't like that we played physical MSU beforehand and they played Oregon.

I think given 3-4 days rest for both teams, this is a 50/50 game because Duke's ball-handling 1 thru 5 is just the right weapon to have against Louisville's pressure D. But, on this quick turnaround, I have it pegged at 40/60. I really worry about the last 5 minutes of the game. Louisville might dominate down the stretch. This is the type of situation where I could see Duke coughing up a 10-point lead with 5 minutes left or something like that. It wouldn't be due to bad coaching or player choking or anything like that.

But what can you do? That's the hand that was dealt to us. Hopefully Duke can overcome and win anyway.

It is almost as if Coach K has been considered a great coach for so long that it has almost become a white noise that is overlooked.

Coach K ABSOLUTELY knows what he is doing in keeping his players playing at their peak. The entire season he had his best players playing close to 40 mpg, they can handle it!

But still, Coach K stole extra rest for Mason, Ryan and Seth, making "short" substitutions that show up as a minute or two of game time, but were more like 5-10 minutes of rest because he knew when the media breaks were coming. It also stretched the foul situation for Mason. Absolutely brilliant use of his bench.

Coach K has in years past noted that it is easier for players to play more minutes in tournament games (shorter bench) because of the increased media time-outs and the longer duration of the time-outs.

duke96
03-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Listening to all the radio talking heads etc. so much more fun when we get no love, everyone expects us to lose, etc. Reminds me of old days of Duke hoops. (Kinda like our defense, free throw shooting, and general late-game composure yesterday.) We have a great bunch of kids trying their best. We'll see what comes tomorrow. Trying to remember the last time late season duke hoops was this much fun..... I think it was a few years ago.....

MChambers
03-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Wasn't it a regional final where Laettner hit 'the shot' against
Kentucky? I may be wrong here but that game is burned on my memory forever.

I guess you're not joking. 1992 regional final vs. Kentucky, coached by Pitino. Expect to hear about that a lot tomorrow.

phaedrus
03-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Is it bad karma to mention Coach K's Elite 8 record, probably the most astounding coaching feat in the 64- (now 68-) team tournament era?

Just in case, I won't mention it.

Kedsy
03-30-2013, 01:37 PM

There was still a line, though. Just not in Vegas.

Kedsy
03-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Our family get-together starts at 3. Been banned from the game unless the climate goes that way. Happy for the team though; GO DUKE!!!!

That's what DVRs are for.

TruBlu
03-30-2013, 01:45 PM

That's what DVRs are for.

Kedsy, are you suggesting that he DVR the family get-together??? Sounds like the right move to me.

wilko
03-30-2013, 01:51 PM

I'm down for a little '86 revenge too!
Lets get it!

mgtr
03-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Kedsy, are you suggesting that he DVR the family get-together??? Sounds like the right move to me.

Must be the case, have to get the priorities straight!

Kedsy
03-30-2013, 02:05 PM
The interesting thing about our first matchup with Louisville is we (a) turned the ball over a lot (for us) -- 14 times compared to our season average of 10.8; (b) shot poorly -- 43.6% for the game, 25% on threes; (c) got outrebounded -- 38 to 33, and L'Ville had 14 offensive boards; and (d) had Ryan and Quinn in foul trouble. And yet we still won the game. Our guys kept their poise and they know how to win. Here's hoping they do the same tomorrow.

Is it bad karma to mention Coach K's Elite 8 record, probably the most astounding coaching feat in the 64- (now 68-) team tournament era?

Just in case, I won't mention it.

Yesterday, the talking heads were certainly mentioning his subpar record in Sweet 16 games plenty, but that "trend" didn't seem to have any effect on the result of the game. Fortunately.

Can't wait for the game, the de-facto National Championship

While I think you can make a good argument that Louisville and Duke are the two best teams remaining in this tournament, let's not get too cocky. We were losing to Ohio State by 8 at halftime (at home), earlier this season. The Buckeyes are good, too, and they have the defensive answer for Seth (who in two games against Aaron Craft has averaged 5.5 ppg on 28% shooting, 14% from three-land). If we're fortunate enough to get to the re-match with them, it will be a tossup. And if we're fortunate enough to get by them, then probably Michigan or Florida or Syracuse loom next, and all of them are tough too.

There is no "de-facto National Championship."

Chris Randolph
03-30-2013, 02:14 PM
While I think you can make a good argument that Louisville and Duke are the two best teams remaining in this tournament, let's not get too cocky. We were losing to Ohio State by 8 at halftime (at home), earlier this season. The Buckeyes are good, too, and they have the defensive answer for Seth (who in two games against Aaron Craft has averaged 5.5 ppg on 28% shooting, 14% from three-land). If we're fortunate enough to get to the re-match with them, it will be a tossup. And if we're fortunate enough to get by them, then probably Michigan or Florida or Syracuse loom next, and all of them are tough too.

Well good thing Wichita St is going to beat OSU. I do agree with you Kedsy. It was just a way of stating that the two best teams left in the tourney are playing each other tomorrow. Not cocky or over confident here, I'm a guy who wasn't sure we'd get this far. Proved me wrong :)

Reilly
03-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Duke's #3 offense in the country against Louisville's #1 defense in the country ...

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/previews/2013-03-31-duke.html

Reilly
03-30-2013, 04:03 PM
... Under no circumstances should we forget how much this team achieved based on how little was expected. ...

Duke was picked #2 in the ACC pre-season and was #8 in the country in the pre-season AP pool. That's expecting a fair amount, it seems, and this team delivered.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/2012-acc-operation-basketball.html

I hope they get a championship (regional, at least) so their accomplishments are noted in Cameron. Only 8 of the 28 teams since 1985-86 have not won either a regular season ACC championship, ACC Tourney championship, NCAA regional championship or national championship. Right now, 2012-13 is one of those 8, but with the chance to bring home two marquee championships (regional and national).

subzero02
03-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Duke's #3 offense in the country against Louisville's #1 defense in the country ...

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/previews/2013-03-31-duke.html

Kenpom has us ranked as the #4 offense and the #4 team overall

MCFinARL
03-30-2013, 04:37 PM

Well, technically, there is a "de-facto National Championship." It's the actual National Championship (i.e., to go all lawyer on everybody, the de facto championship, in this case is the same as the de jure championship). ;)

jay
03-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Duke-UConn 2004. Now that was a de facto National Championship.

uh_no
03-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Duke-UConn 2004. Now that was a de facto National Championship.

people say that, and in the end it proved to be, but GT had beated uconn pretty badly earlier in the year, so it wasn't outside the realm of possibility.

I thought WV/Duke was the de facto natty after MSU lost, but obviously THAT proved to not be the case

pfrduke
03-30-2013, 05:17 PM
people say that, and in the end it proved to be, but GT had beated uconn pretty badly earlier in the year, so it wasn't outside the realm of possibility.

I thought WV/Duke was the de facto natty after MSU lost, but obviously THAT proved to not be the case

It did in a sense, in that the winner of that game did win the natty.

uh_no
03-30-2013, 05:25 PM
It did in a sense, in that the winner of that game did win the natty.

by that logic, the duke/arkansas pine bluff game from '10 was also the defacto natty :P

I know what you're saying, though. It is much easier in hindsight to say what game was the "defacto" championship, but sometimes saying as such before the game can be misguided.

the point being sometimes you can expect a game to not be close and it is (butler) and sometimes you can have an expectation for a game to be close (2004, since GT had already beaten connecticut badly) and it turns out to not be

pfrduke
03-30-2013, 05:32 PM
by that logic, the duke/arkansas pine bluff game from '10 was also the defacto natty :P

The Golden Lions were one win away from making a serious tourney run - they just ran into a tough first round opponent. ;)

uh_no
03-30-2013, 05:35 PM
The Golden Lions were one win away from making a serious tourney run - they just ran into a tough first round opponent. ;)

i'm still of the opinion they were the second best team in the country....awful seeding, really.

MChambers
03-30-2013, 05:50 PM
In 2001, Duke played Monmouth in the round of 64. The Monmouth coach said he heard a lot of people were picking the winner of the Duke-Monmouth game to go all the way.

Troublemaker
03-30-2013, 06:27 PM
From today's press conference:

You were talking about the quick
turnaround. In '86, when you were in the Final
Four, you talked at that time about you weren't
experienced enough to help your team make
that recovery after a tough game with Kansas.
Can you talk about what you've learned and
how you are better suited now to handle this?

COACH KRZYZEWSKI: "Yeah, that's a
good question. Again, you don't know if it will
work, but we've just been in a lot of these
situations. And what I've been doing for the last
seven years with the National Team helps you too.
Quick turnarounds and learning from different
people what they do, the players like at that level,
what they do. The mistakes and the good things
that you've done over the years, and you come up
with a plan.

So you never know if the plan is the right
thing, but it will be better than the one we had in
'86."

chaosmage
03-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Must be the case, have to get the priorities straight!

I love my boys, but I love my wife too. It's a lot easier to watch the game later and have her be happy, than watch the game and sleep in my office chair for my vacation this week ;-)

In all seriousness, she's awesome about this. Watches most of the games with me (tournament and rivalry ones), but she put her foot down for the first time in four years. I'll be with everyone in spirit!!!

GTHL, GTH! :-) GO DUKE!!

NovaScotian
03-30-2013, 07:14 PM
i've said this on this board before, but it bears repeating:
the only thing duke has to fear is duke itself.

LBF
03-30-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm at the regionals here in Indy. I saw both games yesterday. As another poster mentioned, this will definitely be a home game for Louisville and their fans are exuberant to say the least. The most striking fact about the Louisville/Oregon game was Siva picking up 2 fouls very early in the game and sitting out the rest of the half. If we can put offensive pressure on their press and perimeter overplay D, we may get Smith or Siva in foul trouble early. This would keep the crowd out of it and potentially spell doom for the Cards.

-bdbd
03-30-2013, 07:38 PM
i've said this on this board before, but it bears repeating:
the only thing duke has to fear is duke itself.

Very well stated NS! People can tend to focus on "how great the opponent is" and maybe forget about this team of our's being pretty damn goodin its own right.

We just need to play to our potential, play confident and aggressive, and we will have an excellent chance to win. We really are THAT good. Really.

But I do think Pitino guards thge inbounds pass this time....

---------------------------------------

Separately, Trouble, thanks for finding this quote from K. I was a recent grad in 86 and was just crushed by the close loss to L'ville and "Never Nervous" in the finals. We had had a much tougher game in the semis and were worn down quite a bit by Monday night. I tend to agree with K, that we weren't as prepared as maybe we could have been. But that team was playing "with bank money," in that it was all a wonderfully fresh experience, and we simply didn't know any better. For Sunday's game, I do worry about Curry's freshness in particular, but I have great faith in K and staff to do the best possible prep job beforehand. I don't know if we will win, but I do know that we will be prepared!

Troublemaker
3/30/2013

From today's press conference:

You were talking about the quick
turnaround. In '86, when you were in the Final
Four, you talked at that time about you weren't
experienced enough to help your team make
that recovery after a tough game with Kansas.
Can you talk about what you've learned and
how you are better suited now to handle this?

COACH KRZYZEWSKI: "Yeah, that's a
good question. Again, you don't know if it will
work, but we've just been in a lot of these
situations. And what I've been doing for the last
seven years with the National Team helps you too.
Quick turnarounds and learning from different
people what they do, the players like at that level,
what they do. The mistakes and the good things
that you've done over the years, and you come up
with a plan.

So you never know if the plan is the right
thing, but it will be better than the one we had in
'86."

uh_no
03-30-2013, 07:41 PM
they also drug tested duke last night...or should i say this morning at like 1am....

K was not thrilled to say the least....

Acymetric
03-30-2013, 07:47 PM
they also drug tested duke last night...or should i say this morning at like 1am....

Wait, what? Is that typical?

uh_no
03-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Wait, what? Is that typical?

he refused to talk more about it in today's presser...but seemed to indicate it was ridiculous for them to do it after the late game

BD80
03-30-2013, 07:51 PM

I can see Coach K holding the NCAA test geeks at bay with an assault rifle: "Say hello to my little friend!"

no, actually I can't.

uh_no
03-30-2013, 07:54 PM
I can see Coach K holding the NCAA test geeks at bay with an assault rifle: "Say hello to my little friend!"

no, actually I can't.

I'm gonna give you to the count of 10, to get your ugly, yella, no-good keister off my property, before I pump your guts full of lead!

1......2......10!

KenTankerous
03-30-2013, 10:05 PM
i've come to love the blue devils in the last few years, y'all know this, but louisville is going to bury duke tomorrow. duke has neither the guns nor the legs to stay with the cards, sorry but it is uofl by twelve going away.

NashvilleDevil
03-30-2013, 10:06 PM
i've come to love the blue devils in the last few years, y'all know this, but louisville is going to bury duke tomorrow. duke has neither the guns nor the legs to stay with the cards, sorry but it is uofl by twelve going away.

I hope when this doesn't happen you're back here with your apologies.

KenTankerous
03-30-2013, 10:14 PM
i want to hope to and will gleefully do exactly that.

luburch
03-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Digger just picked Duke. Oh no. Bilas also thought he said Duke would win, but he had to pick Louisville because that's who he had in his bracket.

NashvilleDevil
03-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Digger just picked Duke. Oh no. Bilas also thought he said Duke would win, but he had to pick Louisville because that's who he had in his bracket.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not the Richard Phelps curse

hurleyfor3
03-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Digger just picked Duke.

Are you sure? I'm still trying to parse the presumed "predicate" of his sentence that contained the pick. I heard the word "Duke" but I can't untangle the dependent clauses.

luburch
03-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Are you sure? I'm still trying to parse the presumed "predicate" of his sentence that contained the pick. I heard the word "Duke" but I can't untangle the dependent clauses.

FWIW he said he liked Duke's senior guards. Yes plural, so maybe he was confused and meant to pick Louisville. Yeah, let's go with that.

tommy
03-30-2013, 11:33 PM

I was 21 and a Duke Senior, along with all those guys. I felt like I grew up with them. A little piece of me died that night, as if all was right in the world we would have won that game.

Bluedog
03-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Seth Davis picked Louisville so his and Diggers reverse mojo cancel each other out.

mgtr
03-30-2013, 11:43 PM
I love my boys, but I love my wife too. It's a lot easier to watch the game later and have her be happy, than watch the game and sleep in my office chair for my vacation this week ;-)

In all seriousness, she's awesome about this. Watches most of the games with me (tournament and rivalry ones), but she put her foot down for the first time in four years. I'll be with everyone in spirit!!!

GTHL, GTH! :-) GO DUKE!!

You can love your job, you can love your team, and you can love your wife. Only your wife will love you back! Have a great time!

sporthenry
03-30-2013, 11:46 PM
I didn't want them on the quick turnaround. I think facing them in the S16 or FF round would've been better (not that a S16 matchup was really possible given how good both teams' reg seasons were, and there's a "duh" factor to "I'd rather play them in the FF" because then we'd be in the FF).

I thought this exactly in Atlantis and what happened? Duke won. Granted Kelly was in shape and Curry wasn't as worn down. Also, I thought I remember someone here saying he saw Smith and Louisville guys up late gambling but I could be wrong. Either way, I'm not going to worry too much about fatigue.

One thing I'm pleased with is that while Dieng doesn't foul a lot, he doesn't draw fouls so Mason should be able to stay out of foul trouble and hopefully challenge Siva and Smith at the rim.

gam7
03-31-2013, 12:00 AM
If Louisville wins, this will be the first season since 1985 that none of the six generally regarded true blueblood programs (UK, KU, UNC, IU, UCLA, Duke) makes the Final Four.

Bluedog
03-31-2013, 12:00 AM
I thought this exactly in Atlantis and what happened? Duke won. Granted Kelly was in shape and Curry wasn't as worn down. Also, I thought I remember someone here saying he saw Smith and Louisville guys up late gambling but I could be wrong. Either way, I'm not going to worry too much about fatigue.

One thing I'm pleased with is that while Dieng doesn't foul a lot, he doesn't draw fouls so Mason should be able to stay out of foul trouble and hopefully challenge Siva and Smith at the rim.

Also at Atlantis that was after playing VCU the day before, a team that everybody says takes a lot out of you because of their press. I'm not too worried about conditioning except for maybe curry due to his injury. But I think we'll bring it and adrenaline will pump in at crunch time to get them over the finish line.

UofTexasDevil
03-31-2013, 12:07 AM
I haven't filled out a tournament bracket since 2010 when Duke took home the 'ship. I am a big fan of Duke and decided that this was going to be a banner year. I placed Duke winning it all and I think tomorrow will silence the critics...let's do this.

79-77
03-31-2013, 12:16 AM
I'm down for a little '86 revenge too!
Lets get it!

Me too. I was on campus, and despondent, that night.

brevity
03-31-2013, 05:04 AM
If Louisville wins, this will be the first season since 1985 that none of the six generally regarded true blueblood programs (UK, KU, UNC, IU, UCLA, Duke) makes the Final Four.

This is a strange distinction. You may be right that at least one of those 6 programs has been in every Final Four since 1985, but what makes them, and only them, bluebloods?

Most Wins: Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Temple, St. John's, UCLA, Notre Dame, Pennsylvania, Indiana
Most NCAA Titles: UCLA, Kentucky, Indiana, UNC, Duke, Connecticut, Kansas
Most Final Fours: UNC, UCLA, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio State, Louisville, Indiana

If you had to pick 6, those are fine choices, but I'm still not sure why there are only 6 "true blueblood programs." I suppose we could cut them up to be sure, if you want to get all Malfoy on this.

ice-9
03-31-2013, 05:18 AM
It was kinda fun researching and speculating Duke's last two games (Michigan St (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?31018-MBB-Duke-vs-Sparty-NCAA-Sweet-16-(Fri-2145-EDT-CBS)-Pre-In-Game-Thread&p=641531#post641531) and Creighton (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30990-MBB-Duke-Creighton-NCAA-R32-(Sun-2140-EDT-TBS)-Pre-In-Game-Thread&p=640376#post640376)), so I thought why not with Louisville. It's the Elite 8 man!! So here's my two cents on the Cardinals:

This is an elite, experienced team, and we actually match up decently well with them.

They go 9 deep but their big 3 is Siva (6’0 senior PG), Smith (6’1 junior PG) and Dieng (6’11 junior C). The other two starters are Behanan (6’6 sophomore PF) and Blackshear (6’5 sophomore SF). Depending on match-ups, minutes go to Hancock, Ware, Van Treese and Harrell. Their core unit is experienced and outside of Smith have height. However, Smith is far and away their most important offensive player at 19 points per game, and he averaged even more in the post season. Everyone else scores less than 10 points per game, so if we want to stop Louisville we have to contain Smith (he wears #2).

Smith is a demon at getting to the line. He attempts 7.3 field goals and 3.5 free throws this season. When he gets to the line he usually makes it at 83%. He’s not slow, but he’s not explosive in the way Larkin is; it’s kinda surprising he’s able to get to the line so much. He does it with a superb handle, able to change directions quickly. He’s an OK shooter at only 34% from 3-point line, so we may want to take away the drive and dare him to shoot (e.g. by going under screens). Curry might seem like the logical choice to guard Smith but we might be better off if he takes Siva while Cook/Tyler shadow Smith.

Siva is a steady distributor at 6 assists a game, but he doesn’t score that much and he might still be feeling the ill effects of a flu. Curry won’t have his four days of rest; so he might be able to conserve energy for offense by taking on Siva instead of Smith on defense. If Smith still goes off, Rasheed could have a go on him with his superior height and athleticism, and simply take our chances on the mismatch on the wing vs. Blackshear.

This game is going to be much tougher than the one in the Bahamas. They didn’t have Dieng back then, and after watching the Oregon game, I must admit he is a difference maker. Penetrating and finishing is going to be that much harder when you know you have this lanky, long armed, athletic center waiting to block your shot. Dieng blocks 2.5 shots per game and alters many many more. He reminds me of Henson. However, I notice he is always going for the block, and I don’t have access to advanced stats so I can’t say for sure, but Louisville seems susceptible to offensive rebounds. Dieng always going for the block means he’s not there for the rebound, so there should be put back opportunities for Mason and Ryan.

Mason may be able to use his bulk to gain an advantage against Dieng, but I think driving past him or using height to shoot over Dieng will be tricky. On the other end, I thought Dieng might be a little raw offensively, but then I saw him drain a fade away jumper against Oregon so maybe he’s better than previously thought. At worst, they will play each other even, but I do think Mason has the chance to win this matchup.

Ryan did an excellent job on Behanan in our first game, holding the powerful 6-6 forward to 2-11 shooting while scoring 4-9 himself. If he can replicate that performance, I like how we look. We can be a better half court team than Louisville.

Only Ware shoots well from three at 41%; the next best is Hancock at 37% and everyone else shoots 34% and lower. As a team they average 33%. Dieng is good, but he’s not particularly dangerous offensively. This means that in the half court Louisville is heavily dependent on Siva and Smith to create for others. If we can design some kind of trapping defense that makes life difficult for these two, we should win in the half court because the others will have trouble scoring on their own. Oregon was able to achieve some success there, though Siva was mostly MIA in that game.

As many have pointed out, this game will be about limiting turnovers and preventing Louisville from running free; that’s when they are able to generate points most efficiently. We want to go into a grind-it-out, half court game, and there we need to execute. We will need Cook to play much better than the way he did against Michigan St; another repeat of that game and we’ll lose. If we can play the half-court game and shoot at a normal clip, we’ll win.

There are other mitigating factors. The two biggest are the quasi-homecourt advantage Louisville will enjoy and the putative flu some of their players are going through. The crowd at Indianapolis is going to be heavily pro-Louisville – this is going to feel like a road game. The tough 2010 game was able to weather it, and I believe the NCAA Tournament version of Duke will too; but if the ACC Tournament version shows up, it’s going to be tough.

Many of the Louisville players are apparently sick. It showed in Siva, who only played 19 minutes against Oregon and shot 1-5 while turning it over 4 times. He looked awful. On the other hand, Russ was supposed to be also sick yet torched Oregon for 31 points on 9-16 shooting plus 12-14 from the line. Louisville could’ve lost to Oregon without such a superlative performance from Smith. So I’m not sure if the flu will have an impact. Perhaps being sick will make it harder to play two games in three days? It would be cosmic compensation for the 2009 (?) WVA game where our own players were under the weather.

I think the 3.5 line looks reasonable, and I think Duke has a decent shot at upsetting Louisville tomorrow. They’re supposed to lose, and it seems like this Duke team has always played best when they are the underdogs.

With Wichita St beating Ohio St, the winner of this game will likely end up in the championship game. Let's go Duke! Give it our all tomorrow!!

dukelifer
03-31-2013, 09:00 AM
In these games - a lot can be determined in the first few minutes. Teams cannot impose their wills too early. Duke needs to make shots and get everyone involved. Cook will be key. Once the players get settled into the moment- it will be a game. Duke will not have the crowd to give them energy so they need to keep it close.

Buckeye Devil
03-31-2013, 09:06 AM
This has the feel of a title game, doesn't it? Winner here has got to be the favorite to win it all.

Is this control Smith and let others beat you or Smith gets his and try to control everyone else? Or does the game go as Duke is able to control Siva?

I believe Duke is due for a breakout performance. Ryan is way overdue to give us a big lift.

NYBri
03-31-2013, 09:09 AM

I was on the road listening on the radio, and I heard the phrase. "Ellison with an 8 footer...good!" Way too often.

Udaman
03-31-2013, 09:24 AM
Done some scouting this am as well. Of course I'm still really mad that we are in the same bracket as Louisville. When they showed it to start the selection show, I slumped back in my chair. They are good, and we should have been with any other #1 seed (as I think Duke and Louisville are clearly two of the top 4 teams in the country).

So, in looking at Louisville.....on Dec 29th they played Kentucky at Louisville. And barely won (by 3). Three weeks later they lost 3 games in a row: home to Syracuse, at Villanova and at Georgetown. Two weeks after that they lost at Notre Dame in 5 OT's. Otherwise, they won their remaining 20 games, including their last 13 in a row, and most of those by 10 or more points. Sounds impressive, right?

The thing is, if you look at who they played....it's not exactly giant central. They beat Providence, Seton Hall twice, South Florida twice, Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Marquette, Rutgers, St. Johns, DePaul, Syracuse (twice), Cincinnati, Notre Dame twice and Villanova. In the tournament they beat a 16 seed, then Colorado State, then Oregon. So that stretch of 20 games includes 12 bad teams, 6 mediocre teams (Pitt, Notre Dame, Villanova, Oregon and Colorado State), and only 3 decent teams, and I'm reaching with decent in Syracuse and Marquette. Syracuse simply does not match up well, at all, with Louisville. They beat you with a press and Syracuse lulls you to sleep with their zone. Turn them over and their zone becomes useless. Marquette is a paper tiger that should have lost to Davidson in the first round.

Bottom line, Louisville is good, but they haven't exactly beaten great teams down the stretch. And now they are listening to everyone tell them how great they are. Everyone talk about their #1 overall seed. My hope is that they are believing the hype, and now run into a Duke team that's their equal. If it's tight down the stretch, who feels it more? I hope it's the team that's been crowned as the eventual champ already.

The other thing Louisville can tend to do, is ball hog. In their loss to Villanova, they only had 2 players with any assists (one of them had 13). In their loss to us, they had 6 assists on 30 made shots. In their loss to Georgetown they had 7 total assists. When they are running and gunning they share the ball and can blow a team out. But when they get frustrated and the game is tight, they start going 1 on 1 and not passing the ball. That's when you take them. That's how we beat them. You attack their press and make them play a halfcourt game. If you do that they can be beat, for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Duke inbound the ball to Kelly or Plumlee, since those guys are tall and fast and can see over their press. This should be a great game. I just hate that we aren't playing them in the Final Four, because both of these teams deserve to be there.

TruBlu
03-31-2013, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Duke inbound the ball to Kelly or Plumlee, since those guys are tall and fast and can see over their press. This should be a great game.

1) I would like to see Ryan inbounding to Mason around Louisville's 3 point line/midcourt area, and then Mason passing to a streaking Sheed or Cook, with Seth lurking at our 3 point line on a secondary break.

2) I would also like to see some winning numbers come up on my lottery tickets.

Number (1) has a much better chance of happening.

Chris Randolph
03-31-2013, 10:28 AM
No excuses, no explanations. Time to get locked in and focused. Lets Go Duke

Kedsy
03-31-2013, 10:43 AM
However, I notice he is always going for the block, and I don’t have access to advanced stats so I can’t say for sure, but Louisville seems susceptible to offensive rebounds.

Good call. Using raw (unadjusted) numbers, Louisville is even worse at defensive rebounding than Duke is (Louisville's defensive rebounding percentage is 66.7% compared to Duke's much-maligned 67.8%). Louisville is ferocious on the offensive boards, though (38.3% offensive rebounding percentage, even better than Michigan State's 36.4% and much better than Duke's 28.7%).

BD80
03-31-2013, 12:11 PM
You can love your job, you can love your team, and you can love your wife. Only your wife will love you back! Have a great time!

But with Duke you can be the sixth finger in the fist!

... I remember someone here saying he saw Smith and Louisville guys up late gambling ...

I hear they were out late last night tipping cows.

juise
03-31-2013, 12:13 PM
This has the feel of a title game, doesn't it? Winner here has got to be the favorite to win it all.

Funny you should mention that. I was reading an odds column on Sporting News and it mentioned that this is the first time Duke has been a tourney underdog since the 2004 championship game against UCon(n). I thought that was a funny statement. Maybe this game will be remembered as a championship game as well. ;)

slower
03-31-2013, 12:16 PM

While that may be true, don't sleep on Syracuse.

Kedsy
03-31-2013, 12:25 PM
While that may be true, don't sleep on Syracuse.

Is sleeping on Michigan or Florida OK, then?

striker219
03-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Here we are. Easter Sunday. Devils vs. Cardinals. Ugh.

Could be worse I guess. We could be facing off against the Pope.

slower
03-31-2013, 12:31 PM
Is sleeping on Michigan or Florida OK, then?

Perhaps a short nap would be appropriate. :p

It's all just speculation on everybody's part. So I just thought I'd do MY part.

CDu
03-31-2013, 12:44 PM
It was kinda fun researching and speculating Duke's last two games (Michigan St (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?31018-MBB-Duke-vs-Sparty-NCAA-Sweet-16-(Fri-2145-EDT-CBS)-Pre-In-Game-Thread&p=641531#post641531) and Creighton (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30990-MBB-Duke-Creighton-NCAA-R32-(Sun-2140-EDT-TBS)-Pre-In-Game-Thread&p=640376#post640376)), so I thought why not with Louisville. It's the Elite 8 man!! So here's my two cents on the Cardinals:

This is an elite, experienced team, and we actually match up decently well with them.

They go 9 deep but their big 3 is Siva (6’0 senior PG), Smith (6’1 junior PG) and Dieng (6’11 junior C). The other two starters are Behanan (6’6 sophomore PF) and Blackshear (6’5 sophomore SF). Depending on match-ups, minutes go to Hancock, Ware, Van Treese and Harrell. Their core unit is experienced and outside of Smith have height. However, Smith is far and away their most important offensive player at 19 points per game, and he averaged even more in the post season. Everyone else scores less than 10 points per game, so if we want to stop Louisville we have to contain Smith (he wears #2).

Smith is a demon at getting to the line. He attempts 7.3 field goals and 3.5 free throws this season. When he gets to the line he usually makes it at 83%. He’s not slow, but he’s not explosive in the way Larkin is; it’s kinda surprising he’s able to get to the line so much. He does it with a superb handle, able to change directions quickly. He’s an OK shooter at only 34% from 3-point line, so we may want to take away the drive and dare him to shoot (e.g. by going under screens). Curry might seem like the logical choice to guard Smith but we might be better off if he takes Siva while Cook/Tyler shadow Smith.

Siva is a steady distributor at 6 assists a game, but he doesn’t score that much and he might still be feeling the ill effects of a flu. Curry won’t have his four days of rest; so he might be able to conserve energy for offense by taking on Siva instead of Smith on defense. If Smith still goes off, Rasheed could have a go on him with his superior height and athleticism, and simply take our chances on the mismatch on the wing vs. Blackshear.

This game is going to be much tougher than the one in the Bahamas. They didn’t have Dieng back then, and after watching the Oregon game, I must admit he is a difference maker. Penetrating and finishing is going to be that much harder when you know you have this lanky, long armed, athletic center waiting to block your shot. Dieng blocks 2.5 shots per game and alters many many more. He reminds me of Henson. However, I notice he is always going for the block, and I don’t have access to advanced stats so I can’t say for sure, but Louisville seems susceptible to offensive rebounds. Dieng always going for the block means he’s not there for the rebound, so there should be put back opportunities for Mason and Ryan.

Mason may be able to use his bulk to gain an advantage against Dieng, but I think driving past him or using height to shoot over Dieng will be tricky. On the other end, I thought Dieng might be a little raw offensively, but then I saw him drain a fade away jumper against Oregon so maybe he’s better than previously thought. At worst, they will play each other even, but I do think Mason has the chance to win this matchup.

Ryan did an excellent job on Behanan in our first game, holding the powerful 6-6 forward to 2-11 shooting while scoring 4-9 himself. If he can replicate that performance, I like how we look. We can be a better half court team than Louisville.

Only Ware shoots well from three at 41%; the next best is Hancock at 37% and everyone else shoots 34% and lower. As a team they average 33%. Dieng is good, but he’s not particularly dangerous offensively. This means that in the half court Louisville is heavily dependent on Siva and Smith to create for others. If we can design some kind of trapping defense that makes life difficult for these two, we should win in the half court because the others will have trouble scoring on their own. Oregon was able to achieve some success there, though Siva was mostly MIA in that game.

As many have pointed out, this game will be about limiting turnovers and preventing Louisville from running free; that’s when they are able to generate points most efficiently. We want to go into a grind-it-out, half court game, and there we need to execute. We will need Cook to play much better than the way he did against Michigan St; another repeat of that game and we’ll lose. If we can play the half-court game and shoot at a normal clip, we’ll win.

There are other mitigating factors. The two biggest are the quasi-homecourt advantage Louisville will enjoy and the putative flu some of their players are going through. The crowd at Indianapolis is going to be heavily pro-Louisville – this is going to feel like a road game. The tough 2010 game was able to weather it, and I believe the NCAA Tournament version of Duke will too; but if the ACC Tournament version shows up, it’s going to be tough.

Many of the Louisville players are apparently sick. It showed in Siva, who only played 19 minutes against Oregon and shot 1-5 while turning it over 4 times. He looked awful. On the other hand, Russ was supposed to be also sick yet torched Oregon for 31 points on 9-16 shooting plus 12-14 from the line. Louisville could’ve lost to Oregon without such a superlative performance from Smith. So I’m not sure if the flu will have an impact. Perhaps being sick will make it harder to play two games in three days? It would be cosmic compensation for the 2009 (?) WVA game where our own players were under the weather.

I think the 3.5 line looks reasonable, and I think Duke has a decent shot at upsetting Louisville tomorrow. They’re supposed to lose, and it seems like this Duke team has always played best when they are the underdogs.

With Wichita St beating Ohio St, the winner of this game will likely end up in the championship game. Let's go Duke! Give it our all tomorrow!!

Excellent work on the breakdown, but I have to disagree with your description of Smith. Smith is one of the fastest/quickest players in college basketball. He's also a terrific leaper. His ability to get to the line is based entirely on his quickness/speed/explosiveness and his relentless style of play. Where Smith is limited is in his shooting ability and his decision making. The traits that make him a productive scorer and so good at getting to the line are the same traits that lead to some very questionable shot selection and several turnovers.

Louisville is a bit like MSU but with quicker/better guards and less skilled offensive bigs. The key will be limiting their transition opportunities. We can't turn it over against their press, and we can't allow them leakouts on our missed shots. If that means giving up on the offensive glass, so be it. We need to make Louisville a halfcourt team, and we need to make them a jumpshooting team when in the half court.

AGDukesky
03-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Those picking Louisville point to the fact Dieng didn't play in the earlier loss. He will definitely change the game some on defense, but I doubt he will be any better than Louisville's post committee was in the first game. If you remember, Mason played very sluggishly due to the back-to-back-to-back games while Louisville's guys were very fresh since Dieng played before that game. Mason was just playing so well at the time that he was still pretty efficient despite not rebounding as well as expected. I see Cook and Kelly as the keys and neither has inspired me to be too confident in the NCAAs. Still, without easy opportunities from transition baskets Louisville will not score enough to beat a Duke team shooting a "normal" game. So Cook has to value the ball and be a threat to score/penetrate while Kelly has to be a factor from the perimeter. I'm nervous...

gam7
03-31-2013, 12:57 PM
This is a strange distinction. You may be right that at least one of those 6 programs has been in every Final Four since 1985, but what makes them, and only them, bluebloods?

Most Wins: Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Temple, St. John's, UCLA, Notre Dame, Pennsylvania, Indiana
Most NCAA Titles: UCLA, Kentucky, Indiana, UNC, Duke, Connecticut, Kansas
Most Final Fours: UNC, UCLA, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio State, Louisville, Indiana

If you had to pick 6, those are fine choices, but I'm still not sure why there are only 6 "true blueblood programs." I suppose we could cut them up to be sure, if you want to get all Malfoy on this.

Have to admit, I had to look up what Malfoy is. Edward Scissorhands or Beetlejuice or Freddie Krueger would've been more understandable to me!

As for the "bluebloods," I should have been more clear - this wasn't my list. I actually had in mind an article that was posted here several months ago that made a strong argument that those six are the preeminent college basketball programs of all time (or "bluebloods" or "elite" or whatever you want to call them). Of course arguments can be made for others. Here's that article: http://www.skatecarter.com/1/archives/11-2012/1.html.

Here's another one identifying those six from Eamonn Brennan, and saying that UConn deserves to be in the conversation. http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/28886/could-uconn-ever-become-a-blueblood

ArtVandelay
03-31-2013, 12:58 PM
So who do we think guards Smith, at least initially? Do you think they put Sheed on him and just let Seth do what we can against a bigger guy who is more limited offensively, like they did vs. MSU? I have to assume Tyler will probably come in and be assigned to him for extended stretches as well.

CDu
03-31-2013, 01:02 PM
So who do we think guards Smith, at least initially? Do you think they put Sheed on him and just let Seth do what we can against a bigger guy who is more limited offensively, like they did vs. MSU? I have to assume Tyler will probably come in and be assigned to him for extended stretches as well.

My assumption will be Sulaimon will get the first crack at Smith.

subzero02
03-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Tyler could play a huge role in this game...

Dukeblue91
03-31-2013, 01:55 PM
I have to admit that I'm more nervous about this game then I was against Creighton and Michigan State.
In my eyes this will come down to the performance of Cook and Ryan finding his shot from the outside again providing Seth will find the legs to be his self.
The good news is that we are the underdog in this game and I love when we are not favorite to win and hope that the UL players are buying the hype.
Watching all the interviews one thing that struck me were the constant barbs by Pitino about them being fresh for this game since they played zero defense against Oregon, needless to say he was not happy by their defensive performance.

Rasheed too could have a monster game.
Either way we match up very well and have a answer for all their players on paper and the question is do they have an answer to all of our players?

Go Duke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-31-2013, 02:03 PM
It has been a very long time since I was this excited about a particular tournament game. This has the making of a classic. Both teams have the potential to play top-tier ball. If both teams really pull out all the stops, there's really no reason this couldn't be The Game, Round Two (Electric Buggaloo).

I honestly have no idea if our team pulls out the victory tonight. If we can play defense the way that we have lately and Louisville's flu bug takes them down a notch, we have an excellent chance. If we slip on the defensive end, our shooters will have to all be lights out.

I'm striving to not have expectations for this game, but it's very difficult. I feel that a victory today and a Final Four would really just cement K's legacy even moreso. Growing up in the 80's, I admit that I came to take Duke's presence in Final Fours for granted. I thought there was no excuse to not be there. Now, as a wise old man, I relish each and every opportunity to advance.

I really feel that this tournament is special. Our opening round opponent was game, Creighton played us tough. Then, games against Pitino and Izzo... I can't think of a team that faced a tougher road to the Final Four. If we get there, we have earned it, without question.

And if we don't, we've had a great season.

I just sense something special tonight. And if the game lives up the The Game, we can't even get upset if we are on the losing end.

I'm now waxing philosophical, and I apologize for that. But boy oh boy, I think we could get to witness a fantastic game. Something we might be watching highlights of for the NEXT 20 years.

Go Duke!

DukeAlumBS
03-31-2013, 02:37 PM
I have seen a lot of negative feelings here on this game. Just like MSU, just like Creighton and so on. I see the spread is at 3.5 to Louisville. Recently they have become ill. Just like the surprise in Miami ? When their big man got hurt. That spread tells me something. The odds seem to favor a suggestion that Duke may win this game. I could understand 2.5. I do not think the team is sick, they are fine and healthy! We already beat this team without their big man this year . So we know the team, and how to beat them. We are as strong as any team IMO. Again, Kelly makes this team, and I feel he will be very valuable in this game. And we will win this game on our trip.
Duke wins, it is simple as that!
Have a nice Easter my friends,
Jimmy

slower
03-31-2013, 02:51 PM
I see the spread is at 3.5 to Louisville. Recently they have become ill. Just like the surprise in Miami ? When their big man got hurt. That spread tells me something. The odds seem to favor a suggestion that Duke may win this game.

Not really sure what you mean

Wildling
03-31-2013, 03:05 PM
I hope Quinn has his mind right. We really need him today!

Native
03-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Reaaaaaaaaaallly nervous for this one.

Fish80
03-31-2013, 03:30 PM
We might see Alex at the 3 in some spots tonight.

arnie
03-31-2013, 03:33 PM

Who???

Wildling
03-31-2013, 03:33 PM
I don't know why, but I was more nervous for Friday's matchup than today's. But I'm still nervous!

CDu
03-31-2013, 03:46 PM

I'd be pretty surprised by that turn of events. I think Coach K is gonna ride with his 3-guard lineup all game unless foul trouble dictates a change.

NashvilleDevil
03-31-2013, 03:55 PM
I don't know why, but I was more nervous for Friday's matchup than today's. But I'm still nervous!

Another poster has the same feelings as me, Friday night's game was bigger. I dreaded hearing about Duke getting beat in the Sweet 16 again. As a Duke fan I want them to win but will not be crushed if they lost today. That said, I think Duke pulls out a win.

Utley
03-31-2013, 03:59 PM
So psyched for this game! Easily my biggest sporting event Ina couple of years.

Some random thoughts - not sure they advance the discussion but I am just overloaded with nervous energy and need to do something.

So hard to figure this one out. As long as we can continue to play great D we should be in great shape.

I love Seth's attitude /mindset - he just seems convinced that the ball is going in - I so hope his legs allow him to keep it up.

I think MSU came into the game arrogant - I don't expect that from Louisville given the earlier meeting.

Quinn is such a huge wildcard. He is at his best when is cocky - he'll need to channel that today.

This team has risen to the occasion so many times this year - can they do it one more time?

ns7
03-31-2013, 04:09 PM
Another poster has the same feelings as me, Friday night's game was bigger. I dreaded hearing about Duke getting beat in the Sweet 16 again. As a Duke fan I want them to win but will not be crushed if they lost today. That said, I think Duke pulls out a win.

As a fan it's as if we're playing with house money at this point. As a 2 seed not getting to the E8 is slightly disappointing, but losing to the consensus #1 in the E8 wouldn't be anything to be disappointed about. It's been a fantastic season so far, but there's plenty of basketball left to be played.

pfrduke
03-31-2013, 04:14 PM
The following things don't actually have anything to do with tonight's game, but they make me nervous nonetheless. All the 1 seeds have lost, other than Louisville. Only 2 Final Fours in the 64+ team era have not had a #1 seed (2011, 2006). All the lower seeds have won (I'm going ahead and putting Michigan in the book) their Elite 8 games. This has happened only once before, in 2006 (I realize this is related to the stat about #1 seeds). Louisville is the only conference champion (regular season or tournament) remaining - I'm not sure if there has ever been a Final Four with no conference winners (2011 had UConn, 2006 had UCLA).

Again, those pieces of information have nothing to do with the teams on the floor and they don't control the outcome of our game. But they make me nervous.

Fish80
03-31-2013, 04:15 PM
Who???

I'm just working some pre-game mojo. I posted the same thing before the Michigan State game and that worked out okay.

Chris Randolph
03-31-2013, 04:30 PM
3 Elite 8 games so far, 3 one sided games. Which means this will be an instant classic haha

Utley
03-31-2013, 04:33 PM
As a fan it's as if we're playing with house money at this point. As a 2 seed not getting to the E8 is slightly disappointing, but losing to the consensus #1 in the E8 wouldn't be anything to be disappointed about. It's been a fantastic season so far, but there's plenty of basketball left to be played.

While there is no shame in losing at this point - this has been so a gritty team and they have had such a great year they really seem to be Final 4 worthy and it would be a shame if that didn't happen.

wtm001
03-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Vegas line is at -4 now

Chris Randolph
03-31-2013, 04:41 PM
The 3 teams that have punched their Final Four ticket did not win their conference regular season or tournament title. More positive mojo :)

Atlanta Duke
03-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Barkley - "if Kelly or Curry make shots this could be a competitive game"

Smith - Duke cannot stop Louisville

Only Gottlieb defends Duke having a chance

I guess I will watch the blowout anyhow :)

Gthoma2a
03-31-2013, 04:46 PM
3 more wins! Just 3 more wins!

_Gary
I love it that no one in the studio is giving Duke a chance. I so much prefer being the hunter rather than the hunted.

CDu
Anthony, Smith, and Barkley all think Louisville is going to win comfortably. Only Gottlieb speaking up for Duke. Hopefully that bodes well this afternoon. Let's go Duke!

Very, very nervous as we're nearing tip-off.

Furniture
03-31-2013, 04:47 PM

We are definitely the underdog! Great!

Furniture
03-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Anthony, Smith, and Barkley all think Louisville is going to win comfortably. Only Gottlieb speaking up for Duke. Hopefully that bodes well this afternoon. Let's go Duke!

Very, very nervous as we're nearing tip-off.

Didn't they say that Ohio would walk it too!

wtm001
03-31-2013, 04:49 PM
I really hope the pressure gets to Louisville.

moonpie23
03-31-2013, 04:49 PM
it feels eerily like going into the baylor game in 2010..... "there's no way duke can win" is the theme.....

ArtVandelay
03-31-2013, 04:52 PM
I know this has been beaten to death, but why must they have Barkley and Kenny Smith in there? Not that I care that they are picking against Duke. They just don't know what they're talking about. Barkely: "Duke doesn't have any scorers outside of Curry and Kelly." Gottlieb had to point out that Mason Plumlee is a pretty good player. Kenny Smith then babbles on about something and literally makes no sense.

Also, it's a sad state of affairs when Gottlieb has to stick up for Duke. It must pain him deep inside.

_Gary
03-31-2013, 04:52 PM
it feels eerily like going into the baylor game in 2010..... "there's no way duke can win" is the theme.....

Agreed. That's a good analogy in terms of the talk before the game. I hope the similarities DON'T end there, but the truth is Louisville is a far superior team to that Baylor squad we faced in 2010. The Cardinals are for real and if we beat them tonight we will have earned it for sure because I don't see them rolling over for us.

Chris Randolph
03-31-2013, 04:55 PM
After watching that pre-game show, you would think Louisville is 37-0 and Russ Smith is Chris Paul

House G
03-31-2013, 04:55 PM

He neglected to say we are alarmingly athletic.

Tucknut
03-31-2013, 04:56 PM
They also said we'd lose to Michigan State...

Chris Randolph
03-31-2013, 04:57 PM
More Duke mojo: all the underdogs have won the elite 8 games :). Lets Go!!!!!

wtm001
03-31-2013, 04:58 PM
They saw you're pissed off when you see red. That's all I see in the crowd

moonpie23
03-31-2013, 04:59 PM
Let's get this thing rolling......regardless of outcome.... I love this team!!!

go duke!!!

NashvilleDevil
03-31-2013, 05:00 PM
Let the "experts" keep picking against Duke.

RaiderDevil
03-31-2013, 05:02 PM
After watching these pregame experts, I may not even watch the game. No reason too Louisville is the greatest team in history.

Gthoma2a
03-31-2013, 05:07 PM
One play, and they've won the game to the announcers. Seriously, though we do need to play some tough defense.

Udaman
03-31-2013, 05:11 PM
Three fouls against us already. Not good.

And Louisville shooting lights out. Not good.

And Nantz and Kellogg wearing red and white. Annoying.

Gthoma2a
03-31-2013, 05:11 PM
I hope Mason stays closer to the basket than he was on that play. He let Dieng right by him there.

Gthoma2a
03-31-2013, 05:12 PM
We may have the offensive Kelly here tonight! That would be great!

Utley
03-31-2013, 05:13 PM
Louisville looks good -allowing too much penetration.

Philadukie
Gotta stop penetration or it will be a long night.

Gthoma2a
Sulaimon has to just hit the open 3... FOULS ARE KILLING US.

duke96
We are getting good looks

Utley
03-31-2013, 05:14 PM
We can't allow them to get the shots they are getting. Got to pick up the D!

CLW
03-31-2013, 05:15 PM
paging the 2010 style of defense....

we cannot stay in front of them from 30 feet out. make them hit contested jumpers over wide open layups.

_Gary
We are getting good looks

Yep, but we have to knock them down. Rasheed has had two very good looks from 3 and missed both. Not the way I was hoping we'd start.

Gthoma2a
I'd like to see us get them in foul trouble. I can't stand us being in it alone.

Chris Randolph
Louisville must have watched the film of the Miami game at Cameron. High screen and roll. Have to adjust

SCMatt33
They've gotten a chance in the paint on just about every (if not every) possession so far. We gotta keep them out of there at least some if we want any chance.

noworries
03-31-2013, 05:16 PM
BACK UP!!!!! Why do we need to pressure 40 feet from the basket when they've gone by us easily on every possession? Make them hit from outside the lane...granted it's early but the defense has been absolutely non-existent

Fish80
Here we go Devils, here we go!

Furniture
Just keep it close! Steady boys...

BlueDevilBrowns
Gotta stop penetration or it will be a long night.

Also gonna need something out of Cook. We have to attack the basket to break their D down.

NovaScotian
03-31-2013, 05:17 PM
omg, i'm so happy for r kelly. that three is worth more that the points - he's got his swagger back, and is no longer trapped in the closet.

Les Grossman
On D, why is mason following Djieng out to the arc and beyond?

Gthoma2a
On D, why is mason following Djieng out to the arc and beyond?

Nobody knows!

House G
03-31-2013, 05:18 PM
Paging Seth Curry.

duke96
03-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Nobody knows!

Paging Jake Voskuhl

Udaman
03-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Cook - SHOOT THE BALL!!!!!

Gthoma2a
DRIVE ON DJIENG! Let's get him in foul trouble. Why is Mason driving out there?

turnandburn55
Still can't convince the announcers we've ever been goaltended.

Meanwhile, Mason Plumlee continues to try to play point guard...

dukelifer
Don't understand why Cook is so hesitant

duke96
Cook - SHOOT THE BALL!!!!!

He isn't even thinking about penetrating

Wildling
03-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Quinn isn't even thinking about scoring or driving to the hole. Not good.

Les Grossman
sounds like a pretty hostile crowd

dukefan10
Mason Plumlee has come to play!

Les Grossman
03-31-2013, 05:23 PM
yikes josh

duke96
Oh josh. Here we go

Gthoma2a
Amile isn't seeing the court at all for some reason... Hairston doesn't have good hands.

dukelifer
03-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Nice play

follyblue
03-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Liking our rebounding.

Tucknut
Amile looks like he's chomping at the bit to get in there!

wtm001
Liking this game so far

dukelifer
Wow- they are mugging Plumlee

Kjeffrey
03-31-2013, 05:26 PM
Why doesn't Amile get playing time! At least he can catch the ball.

Wildling
Amazing what happens when you drive to the hole! Well done Quinn!

NovaScotian
gosh, i hope we brought our grown man pants

CLW
i still don't like the extended pressure. imho make the cards beat us from 3 over beating us with driving for layups

Furniture
03-31-2013, 05:27 PM
Wow- they are mugging Plumlee

That's what I thought!

Utley
Gritty so far. Mason and Ryan bringing in.

Chris Randolph
So far so good. Seth has got to keep working and stay patient. Defensively we have stopped hard hedging on the ball screen and we are going under. Daring them to shoot. I like it

noworries
If I didn't know the score just by watching, I'd think we were down 10...good to be tied IMO...still have to stop penetration, good we've backed up a little

DukieInBrasil
03-31-2013, 05:28 PM
Again, memo to team, never, ever, ever, willingly pass the ball to Hairston on offense. Maybe against cupcakes he can have a green light, but never again this year should Hairston be given the ball on offense. But that's the consequence of Kelly going for the lame sliding block rather than challenging the shot, he's a good shot blocker and if he had launched vertically he could have still bothered the shot.
Shaky start withe ball by Sulaimon and Cook, but both have settled down and look much better. Sulaimon in fact with a nice feed to Plumlee. Our D needs to get L'ville uncomfortable on their offense.

noworries
03-31-2013, 05:31 PM
how many layups?

Les Grossman
03-31-2013, 05:32 PM
seemed like a very quick 10 second call

House G
03-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Wow 3 team fouls on Louisville--where's the crime scene tape?

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-31-2013, 05:33 PM
Now those are to BS calls in a row...

Gthoma2a
This is nuts. Put Amile in! Why have Kelly run back out that quick without trying Amile. Now, we have 3 fouls on a man we NEED.

Now, Amile sniffs the court, after Kelly is forced to the bench for the rest of the half.

dukelifer
Wow - bad play and Kelly out until the 2nd half

dukelifer
03-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Mugging continues

CLW
careless with the basketball and apparent stubbornness to adjust your d when its getting beat repeatedly for layups.

SCMatt33
The refs are calling this the exact way that Louisville wants. Tight in the paint, loose on the perimeter. MSU game was called the opposite way and it helped us. Gonna need to be strong with the ball.

Chris Randolph
03-31-2013, 05:35 PM
The 'hack a shaq' defense is effective for Louisville. If you hack all the time they won't call it but every 4 minutes

turnandburn55
Seems as though the comment by the announcer about "unnecessarily putting the ball on the floor" was directed straight at Mason Plumlee.

noworries
is it about 90% louisville fans in there? still rolling out the red carpet for the louisville guards to waltz to the hoop...dare we try a zone?

Utley
03-31-2013, 05:36 PM
Got to attack the press.

Cook has to be great here and penetrate.

Philadukie
Let's go Amile. Bring it. Otherwise, we might look back at that 3rd on Kelly as the play of the game for Louisville.

Gthoma2a
is it about 90% louisville fans in there? still rolling out the red carpet for the louisville guards to waltz to the hoop...dare we try a zone?

Not likely with K.

Wildling
careless with the basketball and apparent stubbornness to adjust your d when its getting beat repeatedly for layups.

Agreed. IF they stop hedging on the screens, L'villes offense has to come up with another offensive game plan.

TNDukeFan
The refs are calling this the exact way that Louisville wants. Tight in the paint.

...except when Mason has the ball...

CLW

no but smith siva are in love with their jumpshots too and will take long bad shots if you give it to them yet we are picking up the pressure 40 feet away.

Les Grossman
Good game so far
Kelly fouls only downside

azzefkram
03-31-2013, 05:37 PM
Idiotic to put Kelly in

BlueDevilBrowns
The next 8 minutes is about maintaining contact until the 2nd half.

Furniture
Still anyone's game

turnandburn55
03-31-2013, 05:38 PM
That just looks... awful

SupaDave
03-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Whoa. That was gruesome.

hurleyfor3
LT/Theisman flashback, although he was untouched.

Les Grossman
oh brother, how many times does CBS have to play that awful injury

wtm001
Hope Ware is alright, that did not look good at all.

noworries
oh wow....prayers for ware, that's an unbelievably bad injury

BlueDevilBrowns
03-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Puts things in perspective.

It truly is just a game. I hope that young man can play again.

follyblue
That was the worst injury I have ever seen in college b ball. Prayers go out to him.

billy
tibia fracture

Utley
Heart god out to the kid. Never know what this does to a game.

Huge 3 by Tyler - so tough.

Furniture
Sick.

dukelifer
Wow that was unbelievable - pray for that kid

striker219
03-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Oh god. Seriously, no more replays. Just stop.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-31-2013, 05:42 PM
oh brother, how many times does CBS have to play that awful injury

Let's hope they never show that again.

NovaScotian
03-31-2013, 05:43 PM
my god, i just don't know how anyone on either team could play after that.

Chris Randolph
03-31-2013, 05:43 PM
Cards are about to go on a big push. Gotta say together an tough. 40 minute game

Bluedog
03-31-2013, 05:44 PM
at the stadium and didn't seeit. what happened? this crowd is hostile...very..

RoyalBlue08
Wow, I have never seen something so gruesome in a basketball game. I really, really wish I could unsee it. I have sympathy too for the players on both sides. I don't know how you refocus after that.

dukestheheat
Prayers all around and that was the worst injury I have ever seen. Period.

Dth.

Les Grossman
you know the media vultures are going to show it over and over again tonight and probably tomorrow