PDA

View Full Version : Sweet 16 South Region: Kansas/Michigan, Florida/Florida Gulf Coast

Newton_14
03-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Use this thread to discuss tonights games and the region in general. I will close the other South Region thread.

Newton_14
03-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Anybody watching this? Elijah Johnson just pulled a Chris Paul on McGary on a dead ball. Drilled in no-no land while trotting by. Officials reviewing. That has to be Excessive Contact Flagrant ...

CDu
03-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Anybody watching this? Elijah Johnson just pulled a Chris Paul on McGary on a dead ball. Drilled in no-no land while trotting by. Officials reviewing. That has to be Excessive Contact Flagrant ...

Indeed. Just a really strange thing to do, especially so early in the game (i.e., not enough time for any real animosity to occur). Just odd.

MChambers
03-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Did it seem to you like McGary overreacted (flopped)? I don't think he got hit very hard. Plus he had a miraculous recovery in time to shoot and miss the free throws.

And then he went flying backwards on light contact from Withey.

CDu
03-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Did it seem to you like McGary overreacted (flopped)? I don't think he got hit very hard. Plus he had a miraculous recovery in time to shoot and miss the free throws.

I mean, have you ever been hit in the business? It doesn't feel very good for a bit. But it's not like he had to immediately go to the free throw line. The officials stopped play and took time to go to the monitor. So he had plenty of time to recover.

I doesn't take much of a hit in that area for it to hurt. The hurt also doesn't last that long.

Yes, on that play he was flopping trying to draw a foul in a matchup in which he was overmatched. I'm not sure how that is necessarily related to the fist to the "midsection" play.

Newton_14
03-29-2013, 08:05 PM

I actually think Johnson inflicted pain there. (And I am not a Michigan or Mcgary fan at all). Agree he flopped later... Just a stupid thing to do by Johnson..

hsheffield
03-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Ouch!

At least it was called a flagrant 1...

JBDuke
03-29-2013, 08:18 PM

Charles Barkley's comment:

In the NBA, they'd have called a loose ball foul.

MChambers
03-29-2013, 08:47 PM
I mean, have you ever been hit in the business? It doesn't feel very good for a bit. But it's not like he had to immediately go to the free throw line. The officials stopped play and took time to go to the monitor. So he had plenty of time to recover.

I doesn't take much of a hit in that area for it to hurt. The hurt also doesn't last that long.

Yes, on that play he was flopping trying to draw a foul in a matchup in which he was overmatched. I'm not sure how that is necessarily related to the fist to the "midsection" play.
Yes, I played lots of sports and have been hit there. Was your question sarcasm? I've not recovered as quickly as McGary and you.

dukeofcalabash
03-29-2013, 09:11 PM

Not to mention Charles Barkley saying no way should the guy be tossed. I would rather see refs doing the analysis than former players.

78Devil
03-29-2013, 09:28 PM
I have no "dog in this hunt" in the Kansas/Michigan game, but I swear the refs are calling everything Kansas' way. My imagination?

CDu
03-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Yes, I played lots of sports and have been hit there. Was your question sarcasm? I've not recovered as quickly as McGary and you.

Yes, my question was sarcasm. I assume every adult male has been hit there at some point in their lives (regardless of whether or not they played sports). And I think you're underestimating how much time there was for McGary to recover (at least to recover enough to take free throws). It was quite a while between the foul and the free throws.

Tripping William
03-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Trey Burke from the Redicksphere. Wow!

CDu
03-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Holy s%$t! That was unbelievable.

hurleyfor3
03-29-2013, 09:46 PM
I assume every adult male has been hit there at some point in their lives (regardless of whether or not they played sports).

I claim a causal relationship exists between when in life one was hit there and how much into sports one became.

Newton_14
03-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Trey Burke from the Redicksphere. Wow!

Dumb shot selection but what the heck, it went in. Johnson knocked down McGary again on the screen.

CDu
03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Also, how crazy would it have been if the refs had called Elijah Johnson for running through the McGary screen (negating Burke's 3)?

Tripping William
03-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Tim Hardaway's kid AND Big Dog's kid. I have so gotten old.

hurleyfor3
03-29-2013, 09:49 PM
It looks like the entire stadium is being used for seating, as opposed to half the stadium in Indy. Those upper deck seats look like they're somewhere in Coppell. Maybe Flower Mound.

mattman91
03-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Those buffalo wild wing commercials were more epic than that shot

hurleyfor3
03-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Free timeout for Kansas on the shot-clock violation.

pfrduke
03-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Elijah Johnson's questionable decision making finally hurts Kansas. Tough loss.

mr. synellinden
03-30-2013, 12:39 AM
Elijah Johnson's questionable decision making finally hurts Kansas. Tough loss.

That was a brutal loss for Kansas. Kind of reminded me of the Arizona - Illinois game from 2005. Kansas was up 10 with the ball with less than 2:30 to go and just made terrible play after terrible play to let Michigan come back.

Kansas fans have had to endure some really excruciating tourney losses during the last 10 years.

FerryFor50
03-30-2013, 12:41 AM
Looks like Dunk City is about to go bankrupt.

It was a good run, but I got a little tired of FGCU and the showboating.

pfrduke
03-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Florida-Michigan should be one heck of a game. Sunday basketball looks like better action than Saturday basketball - I might take any Sunday team over any Saturday team.

mr. synellinden
03-30-2013, 12:55 AM
I think it's worth making another point about Kansas since there is so much consternation about Duke's record as a #1/#2 seed since 2002 - and I've been among those consternating.

Kansas has been a #1 seed 10 times since 1992. That's 10 out of 22 seasons.

Of those 10 times as a #1 seed, Kansas has:

Won the title 1 time

Lost in the Final Four 1 time

Lost in the Regional Final 2 times

Lost in the Sweet 16 3 times

Lost in the 2nd round 3 times

So 8 out of 10 times, they did not make the final four. 6 out of 10 times, they did not even get to the regional final. If not for Memphis missing FTs and Mario Chalmers making a clutch 3, Kansas would have 0 titles to show for 10 times as a #1 seed. (NOTE - they did make the Final Four as a 2 seed in 2003).

wk2109
03-30-2013, 01:26 AM
It's kind of crazy how Kansas's good fortune in 2008 (Derrick Rose's missed free throw before Mario Chalmers's game-tying 3) transformed into the complete opposite this year (Elijah Johnson's missed free throw before Trey Burke's game-tying 3). I feel bad for them but hopefully their fans remember how fortunate they are to have their 2008 title.

jv001
03-30-2013, 02:34 AM
That was a brutal loss for Kansas. Kind of reminded me of the Arizona - Illinois game from 2005. Kansas was up 10 with the ball with less than 2:30 to go and just made terrible play after terrible play to let Michigan come back.

Kansas fans have had to endure some really excruciating tourney losses during the last 10 years.

Or like Duke up 7 wth 17 seconds and the ball out of bounds. Walter Davis time and we lose. GoDuke!