PDA

View Full Version : "The Streak" is going down... thanks to a couple Dukies

JasonEvans
03-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Carlos Boozer and Luol Deng are leading Chicago over the Heat right now. 5 minutes left, Bulls by 9.

-Jason "Boozer with 17 pts, 15 rebs so far - Deng with 24, 7 boards and 5 assists" Evans

Duvall
03-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Carlos Boozer and Luol Deng are leading Chicago over the Heat right now. 5 minutes left, Bulls by 9.

-Jason "Boozer with 17 pts, 14 rebs so far - Deng with 22, 7 boards and 5 assists" Evans

These threads are always a good idea.

hurleyfor3
03-27-2013, 10:34 PM
They go about this whole Hispanic Month thing the wrong way. Los Bulls and El Heat? Should be Los Toros and El Caliente. Caliente is one of the most fun words to say in the entire Spanish language and they can use the "T" from the Heat logo.

Anyway, El Heat was trying to stage El Comeback, until El Shane picked up El Foul.

JasonEvans
03-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Hinrich grabbing the rebound from Bosh was he play of the game.

9 point lead, 2 minutes left. I think the Los Toros fans are going to storm los court if they win ;)

Bluedog
03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Now 5 point game with 1:15 to go...far from over. Would like to see the Bulls prevail though. I haven't watched the NBA in a while and after watching the NCAA tournament for several hours last weekend, it's quite a contrast how much bigger and stronger these guys are...man.

Billy Dat
03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Aint over yet...

JasonEvans
03-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Boozer rebound and putback just won the game.

Billy Dat
03-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Boozer just won the game.

Yup...sick game!

Bluedog
03-27-2013, 10:45 PM
LeBron hanging on the rim on a Bulls made layup (before the ball even went in)? How is that not a T? I guess I've been watching too much college....

Boozer with the huge rebound and putback and then Luol seals the deal with a great steal.

luburch
03-27-2013, 10:49 PM
I think the foul call on Battier(he didn't really foul him at all) really changed the game.

hurleyfor3
03-27-2013, 10:50 PM
El Streak es muerto.

theAlaskanBear
03-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Hinrich grabbing the rebound from Bosh was he play of the game.

9 point lead, 2 minutes left. I think the Los Toros fans are going to storm los court if they win ;)

You mean the foul of the game. The replay clearly showed Hinrich grabbing both forearms of Bosh and flipping him.

That said, I watched the whole game and was cheering for Boozer and Deng the whole way. GO DUKE!

Native
03-27-2013, 10:57 PM

Mabdul Doobakus
03-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Sad to see it end. The atmosphere at that game wasn't just a playoff atmosphere...that was a Game 7 atmosphere. Because I've watched the Heat lose playoff games, and not seen a crowd get behind their team like that. The Bulls were sharp, and they were very physical, and they deserved that win, so good for them.

27 is a pretty amazing accomplishment. I expect the Heat will have to do a little regrouping, but at least this allows them to shift their focus to the playoffs. My hope is they send the Big 3 back to Miami before the San Antonio game as payback for when the Spurs kept their top players from travelling to their road game at Miami.

JStuart
03-27-2013, 11:11 PM
You mean the foul of the game. The replay clearly showed Hinrich grabbing both forearms of Bosh and flipping him.

That said, I watched the whole game and was cheering for Boozer and Deng the whole way. GO DUKE!

But wait, wait: I thought there weren't any real Duke players in the pros, or none that mattered. I heard that it was documented on the Internet!

CameronBornAndBred
03-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Had to end at some point, all streaks do. (Except our top 10 streak, that will go on for ever, of course.)
Still, I love seeing stories like this build momentum, even when they involve teams and players that I don't like. It will be a long time before we see another run like it.

El_Diablo
03-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Should be Los Toros and El Caliente.

The Bulls and The Hot?

DukieInBrasil
03-28-2013, 12:08 AM
They go about this whole Hispanic Month thing the wrong way. Los Bulls and El Heat? Should be Los Toros and El Calor. Calor.......

Anyway, El Heat was trying to stage El Comeback, until El Shane picked up El Foul.

Caliente = Hot
Calor = Heat

g-money
03-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Despite the Duke contingent on the Bulls, I found myself rooting for Lebron and the Heat due to all the hard fouls. Sort of like how I used to pull for Jordan against the Pistons and Knicks (despite his UNC pedigree). I hate the hard foul strategy even more than I hate "physical play" in NCAA games.

I would have liked to have seen Thibodeau get pegged in the face during the game. If he's going to order that stuff he should be fair game. That is all.

nyesq83
03-28-2013, 01:59 AM
Jordan was getting phantom foul calls, the Knicks thought, might as well foul the Bulls and Jordan hard.

Duke76
03-28-2013, 07:16 AM
But wait, wait: I thought there weren't any real Duke players in the pros, or none that mattered. I heard that it was documented on the Internet!

you are darn right!!!love to see Jalen Rose admit that guys that play for Duke in the NBA are studs because they are...
Lebron puts his shoulder into Boozer and my Dukie doesn't even budge...stud
Louie knocking down 3 and driving strong to basket and on the other
end Shane has never been questioned on heart and drive
add Kyrie, JJ they are all major players for their team
maybe the most material misstatement about a group of players in NBA ever

wavedukefan70s
03-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Jordan was getting phantom foul calls, the Knicks thought, might as well foul the Bulls and Jordan hard.

As well as the push off fadeaway jumpers.then again I have never been a Jordan guy.i always had Kareem and magic above him.although he is in my top ten.

moonpie23
03-28-2013, 08:46 AM
y'all know i love my dukies.....but the officiating in the 4th qtr was criminal....

wade, bron AND bosh should have had 20 EACH at the stripe....

REFS decided the streak was over....

ClosetHurleyFan
03-28-2013, 09:35 AM

-Jason "Boozer with 17 pts, 15 rebs so far - Deng with 24, 7 boards and 5 assists" Evans

It was bound to end and good thing it did for Miami's sake. Lebron is logging too many minutes and frankly they should coast into playoffs and not arrive worn out. Case in point, San Antonio last year and some parallels with Dwayne Wade being injured as of late. We cant forget that Lebron is in his what, 8th year? Those arent 18 year old legs anymore.

The only thing that stinks is that man we had a seriously good San Antonio/Miami match pending on Sunday with this whole theme around it it would have been high drama, especially with Popovich on the other bench. Oh well. So thanks Jacka** dukies for screwing it all up. :p

CDu
03-28-2013, 12:10 PM
y'all know i love my dukies.....but the officiating in the 4th qtr was criminal....

That's a little overboard. There were a few bad calls (Hinrich clearly fouled Bosh; the late foul call on Battier was BS). But there were also no calls the other way (James clearly fouled Boozer on Boozer's last bucket, Hinrich got fouled by Allen on his breakaway runner, Deng got fouled by James on one of his dunks in the 3rd, Bosh undercut Butler on his alleyoop dunk in the 4th).

The officiating was terrible, but it was terrible both ways. I don't remember a single call that Wade didn't get that he deserved (he mostly just dove into people and hoped that the refs would bail him out). The Bulls won that game because they got a lead early, hit some big shots late, and rebounded the ball really well. And aside from a stretch during the third quarter (when Miami made its run), they protected the ball and didn't let Miami get easy fast break points.

Whining about the officials is for losers.

moonpie23
03-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Whining about the officials is for losers.

that's true, but we DID lose last night.... :(

CDu
03-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Luol Deng has easily become my favorite player in the NBA. He plays so hard on both ends of the floor. He's always been a terrific defender (he really makes James work hard for his buckets), and he's become better and better offensively each year. All the while, he's soft-spoken and a humanitarian off the court.

Deng is just a great representation of what a star player should be: gracious, humble, unselfish, and willing to put in the hard work on the floor to help the team). He's not as athletically gifted nor as skilled with the ball as some of the superstars of the league, but nobody outworks that guy.

jv001
03-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Luol Deng has easily become my favorite player in the NBA. He plays so hard on both ends of the floor. He's always been a terrific defender (he really makes James work hard for his buckets), and he's become better and better offensively each year. All the while, he's soft-spoken and a humanitarian off the court.

Deng is just a great representation of what a star player should be: gracious, humble, unselfish, and willing to put in the hard work on the floor to help the team). He's not as athletically gifted nor as skilled with the ball as some of the superstars of the league, but nobody outworks that guy.

I like and really respect Luol. Not just on court, but off the court as well. Sort of Battieresque in my opinion. I wish all the NBA guys fell into that category of players. Maybe I'm just too Duke bias. GoDuke!

flyingdutchdevil
03-28-2013, 02:41 PM

That's not true. David Stern decided the streak was over. SMH.

moonpie23
03-28-2013, 02:46 PM
but stern wouldn't have done that looking for the possible ratings of sunday's showdown with the spurs...

flyingdutchdevil
03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
but stern wouldn't have done that looking for the possible ratings of sunday's showdown with the spurs...

Stern is an evil genius. I don't know what it is, but I'm sure there is something about the Heat losing to the Bulls that made the league millions. I mean, it's Stern!

CDu
03-28-2013, 03:05 PM
The biggest shame, as a Bulls fan, is that they've had to deal with so many injuries this year. Deng has played all season with an injured wrist (the Bulls wanted him to have surgery last offseason, but he was committed to representing England in the Olympics). Rose has missed all season with an ACL injury. Both of their SGs (Hamilton and Belinelli) have missed tons of time (and both missed last night's game). Their placeholder PG (Hinrich) has been in and out of the lineup with injuries. Their center (Noah) has battled plantar fascia issues all year and missed last night's game.

With the development of Jimmy Butler as a solid, athletic SG/SF, the addition of Hinrich as a backup PG and chemistry guy, and the continued development of Gibson as a backup PF/C, it'd be really neat to see this team at full strength with Rose, Deng, and Noah healthy. Maybe that'll happen next year (unless the Bulls decide to auction off players like Deng and Boozer), but it's looking unlikely that it will be this year.

It's too bad, because an Eastern Conference Finals of (a healthy) Chicago and Miami would be pretty entertaining. Two very different styles. Two teams that clearly don't like one another. Several superstars, secondary stars, personalities, and quality role players.

CDu
03-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Back to the game, though.

I thought Spoelstra dropped the ball with his 4th quarter switch in game plan. He switched LeBron off of Deng and onto the PG (Hinrich). While this is certainly not a problem for James defensively, it seemed like a poor use of LeBron's awesomeness defensively. In the third quarter, when the Heat were rolling, they had LeBron blanketing Deng, making it impossible for Deng to score. Chalmers was on Hinrich, and was doing a terrific job (along with help from the traps on any high ball screens). The Bulls' offense looked futile in the third quarter. Then, for whatever reason, Spoelstra went away from that approach in the 4th. By moving James off of Chicago's best offensive weapon, it forced Wade to guard Deng (advantage Deng as he can shoot over Wade) and Allen to guard Butler (advantage Butler as Butler posted Allen up and shot over him). Meanwhile, James of course shut down Hinrich. But Hinrich simply shrugged this off by playing PG and finding Butler, Deng, and others for baskets.

Had Spoelstra stuck with James on Deng, Wade on Butler, and whomever he wanted on Hinrich, I suspect Miami gets the win. Instead, Miami's defense collapsed to the tune of 32(!) 4th quarter points. For an offense as bad as the Bulls' offense (without Rose, Hamilton/Belinelli, and Noah) is, that's unacceptable.

The Heat did enough offensively in the second half to win, scoring 51 points (29 in the 4th). And in the 2nd and 3rd quarter they did enough on both ends to win (outscoring the Bulls 46-37). Unfortunately for them, they let the bulls hit too many shots in the 1st and 4th quarters (32 points in each quarter) to hang on for the win.

Still, it was a really impressive streak by the Heat. They are clearly the best team in the league. But this loss might be good for them in the long run. They had been idling the past few games, barely beating the lowly Cavs (without Irving) and Magic. Perhaps now they will get re-energized for the playoffs with the pressure of the streak off their backs.

CDu
03-28-2013, 05:11 PM
It appears that I maybe the only one still involved in this thread, but here's an interesting read from somebody at SBNation:
http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/28/4156992/bulls-vs-heat-winning-streak-breakdown

Basically, the article talks about the key to the Bulls upsetting the Heat: they made every effort to prevent fast break opportunities.

The Heat are an unbeatable team when they can get out and run. They're only really really good when they are forced to play in the half court. And in the half court, the Bulls have a decided edge on the glass. So if the Bulls are shooting well and the Heat aren't fast-breaking, the Bulls have a chance.

That's what happened last night. The Bulls had an out-of-body experience with their shooting, and limited the Heat's fast break opportunities. Numerous times when they made a mistake on offense that would normally have led to a fast break, multiple defenders raced back down court to slow the Heat down. It's that kind of attention to detail that Thibadeau is famous for, and that kind of effort that is a hallmark of the Bulls.

There is no question that the Heat are better than the Bulls (especially when Noah, Rose, and Hamilton/Belinelli aren't available). But they aren't going to give you any easy baskets. They are going to make you work hard every time down the court. They aren't afraid to take the occasional hard foul to prevent a dunk/layup. And they are madmen on the glass. If they can keep you in a half-court game, they have a chance. Then in comes down to whether or not they can hit shots.

Without Rose and Korver (and with Hamilton often hurt), this season hasn't been a good one for the Bulls offensively. They just don't have the shooters to consistently knock down shots, and they don't have the playmakers to create easy scoring chances. Last night they were fortunate to get an unusually good shooting effort on top of their normal yeoman's work on the glass.

Des Esseintes
03-28-2013, 07:00 PM
It appears that I maybe the only one still involved in this thread, but here's an interesting read from somebody at SBNation:
http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/28/4156992/bulls-vs-heat-winning-streak-breakdown

Basically, the article talks about the key to the Bulls upsetting the Heat: they made every effort to prevent fast break opportunities.

The Heat are an unbeatable team when they can get out and run. They're only really really good when they are forced to play in the half court. And in the half court, the Bulls have a decided edge on the glass. So if the Bulls are shooting well and the Heat aren't fast-breaking, the Bulls have a chance.

That's what happened last night. The Bulls had an out-of-body experience with their shooting, and limited the Heat's fast break opportunities. Numerous times when they made a mistake on offense that would normally have led to a fast break, multiple defenders raced back down court to slow the Heat down. It's that kind of attention to detail that Thibadeau is famous for, and that kind of effort that is a hallmark of the Bulls.

There is no question that the Heat are better than the Bulls (especially when Noah, Rose, and Hamilton/Belinelli aren't available). But they aren't going to give you any easy baskets. They are going to make you work hard every time down the court. They aren't afraid to take the occasional hard foul to prevent a dunk/layup. And they are madmen on the glass. If they can keep you in a half-court game, they have a chance. Then in comes down to whether or not they can hit shots.

Without Rose and Korver (and with Hamilton often hurt), this season hasn't been a good one for the Bulls offensively. They just don't have the shooters to consistently knock down shots, and they don't have the playmakers to create easy scoring chances. Last night they were fortunate to get an unusually good shooting effort on top of their normal yeoman's work on the glass.

That all seems correct. I'd add, too, that Miami has that tendency, which we saw quite a bit in the latter two seasons of the Laker's millenial threepeat, to coast. I wish I could remember where I saw it, but someone had a statistic a couple weeks ago of Miami's efficiency in the last five minutes of competitive games. It's insane, like better than 20 points per 100 possessions difference with their opponent, suggesting that they spend large parts of every contest on something well below full throttle. They've been sharper during the streak, but the willingness to be casual and win late has remained. The weak defense of the season's first half points to the same dynamic. I don't think anyone beats them for the title (barring injury), but I suspect even in the playoffs they will lose more than they have to. And truthfully, it's hard to blame them. I think I would be overcasual sometimes if I was blessed enough to be in a similar situation.

vick
03-28-2013, 07:50 PM
That all seems correct. I'd add, too, that Miami has that tendency, which we saw quite a bit in the latter two seasons of the Laker's millenial threepeat, to coast. I wish I could remember where I saw it, but someone had a statistic a couple weeks ago of Miami's efficiency in the last five minutes of competitive games. It's insane, like better than 20 points per 100 possessions difference with their opponent, suggesting that they spend large parts of every contest on something well below full throttle. They've been sharper during the streak, but the willingness to be casual and win late has remained. The weak defense of the season's first half points to the same dynamic. I don't think anyone beats them for the title (barring injury), but I suspect even in the playoffs they will lose more than they have to. And truthfully, it's hard to blame them. I think I would be overcasual sometimes if I was blessed enough to be in a similar situation.

You can get this stat from NBA.com/stats; here it is (http://stats.nba.com/teamStats.html?TeamID=1610612748&groupFeedtype=clutch) for the Heat. In the last five minutes where they are within 5 (in either direction), the Heat are +129. Using the Basketball Prospectus formula for possessions, 0.96*(FGA + (0.44*FTA) - ORB + TOV), there were 0.96*(277 + (0.44*131) - 37 + 35) = 319 possessions. So, I believe the Heat are a ridiculous +40 per 100 possessions in "clutch" situations.

brevity
03-29-2013, 02:21 AM
Stern is an evil genius. I don't know what it is, but I'm sure there is something about the Heat losing to the Bulls that made the league millions. I mean, it's Stern!

Look at it this way: the Heat are very likely to play the Bulls in the playoffs, and not as likely to play the Spurs. So it's something to promote this summer.

Plus, headlines:
BEATABULL
DENG! CHICAGO STARTS OWN WINNING STREAK
LOST IN TRANSLATION: HEAT WAVE ENDS ON NOCHE LATINA

Speaking of, the Heat win streak when they wear English language jerseys is still alive.

pfrduke
03-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Look at it this way: the Heat are very likely to play the Bulls in the playoffs, and not as likely to play the Spurs. So it's something to promote this summer.

Plus, headlines:
BEATABULL
DENG! CHICAGO STARTS OWN WINNING STREAK
LOST IN TRANSLATION: HEAT WAVE ENDS ON NOCHE LATINA

Speaking of, the Heat win streak when they wear English language jerseys is still alive.

I'm not sure "El Heat" counts as a non-English language jersey. It's certainly not a Spanish language jersey. Spanglish perhaps?

CDu
03-29-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm not sure "El Heat" counts as a non-English language jersey. It's certainly not a Spanish language jersey. Spanglish perhaps?

Actually, I think it is technically correct. "Heat" in this case is a proper noun, and as such refers specifically to the Miami Heat. So it's appropriate to say "el Heat" in Spanish, just like it is appropriate to refer to a foreign player by his actually name and not translate it (i.e., we don't translate Jose Calderon to Joe Cauldron, nor do we convert Juan Martin Del Potro to John Martin of the Colt).

snowdenscold
03-29-2013, 12:14 PM
nor do we convert Juan Martin Del Potro to John Martin of the Colt).

Lol, I'm waiting for Brad Gilbert to try and popularize it :D

mr. synellinden
03-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Not sure if this was posted previously, but just in case it wasn't, Shane Battier plays Winner (http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/17/battier-gives-another-stirring-speech-where-the-streak-started)