PDA

View Full Version : Sunday NCAA TV Schedule-Planning for Easter

78Devil
03-27-2013, 11:51 AM
I am hosting 12 people for Easter dinner on Sunday. And I can't set a time yet, as I don't know when Duke will be playing (you see - I am going to be optimistic!). There is no such thing as social interaction or casual conversation when the rabid fans in my family (4 Duke grads) watch Duke play, especially in a high stakes game. So I need to avoid any game times. But of course the non-Duke fans at the dinner are not unreasonable in wanting to know WHEN they should come to my house.

I checked the CBS website and they still say TBD. Any insights?

1 24 90
03-27-2013, 11:59 AM
One regional final will be at 2:30 and the other is at 5 eastern time. I suspect that if Duke plays Louisville it will be the 5 p.m. game even though the south region is being played in the central time zone. Just my thoughts. Let's hope you're correct and Duke is playing on Sunday.

UrinalCake
03-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Game times won't be determined until they know what the matchups will be. The networks want to put the most popular games at the best viewing times. In all likeliness we would be the later game, since we're Duke, but I don't even know when the time slots are. Maybe you could tell your guests that dinner time is "TBD" or "three hours following tipoff" 8-)

jimsumner
03-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Don't forget, the women will be playing Sunday. 2:30

duke09hms
03-27-2013, 02:19 PM
This thread makes me feel sick. So excited/nervous for MSU on FRIDAY.

devil84
03-27-2013, 04:36 PM
My family will be watching the games regardless of who is playing. We're still working on the menu, but it have one or more of these attributes:

Easy to eat in front of the TV (that might mean that ham dinner is served in between slices of bread)
Easy to cook, serve, and eat between games

We don't have that many coming to dinner and we're all flexible, but the primary concern is the big TV and watching the games with family. We'll work a meal into it somehow!

(Yes, it will be something nicer than we usually eat, but it will likely be an unusua Easter dinner. We kind of embrace being unusual.)

TexHawk
03-27-2013, 04:53 PM
I think you can likely find this same thread on (at least) 15 message boards today, which I find hilarious and awesome at the same time.

Last year, the Sunday schedule had...
Early: Kentucky/Baylor.
Late: UNC/KU.

There are many factors at play, including time zones of the respective fan bases. Last year was a bit unique, with 3 blue bloods with national followings.

My guess is Duke would play late, if it is Duke/Oregon, I would put money on it.

hurleyfor3
03-27-2013, 05:13 PM
FWIW, we were the late game on Sunday in 2010.

msdukie
03-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Can we close this thread before the Weaxfgods read it, please?

Neals384
03-28-2013, 01:06 AM
My family will be watching the games regardless of who is playing. We're still working on the menu, but it have one or more of these attributes:

Easy to eat in front of the TV (that might mean that ham dinner is served in between slices of bread)
Easy to cook, serve, and eat between games

We don't have that many coming to dinner and we're all flexible, but the primary concern is the big TV and watching the games with family. We'll work a meal into it somehow!

(Yes, it will be something nicer than we usually eat, but it will likely be an unusua Easter dinner. We kind of embrace being unusual.)

I think you'll find that Cardinal Wings are very easy to east in front of TV. If necessary, you can change the menu to Duck Wings.

chaosmage
03-28-2013, 01:19 AM
We rarely have any kind of company or family, so I was just told "NO!" for this. So my phone is probably going into Airplane mode and I'll have to DVR it. Assuming we win Friday (saying Hail Marys for weaxfing (sic)).

FWIW, she's REALLY awesome about things like this, our whole schedule changes around Duke Basketball. For a woman who grew up in Cali and didn't care about basketball until we met, she's awesome.

Just put her foot down on this one. Suggestions? I figure put my phone in airplane mode and DVR the game.

Help!

uh_no
03-28-2013, 01:31 AM
i'm just throwing it out there, but last time we played on easter weekend, good stuff happened :)

devil84
03-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Can we close this thread before the Weaxfgods read it, please?

If one is planning Easter dinner around watching the NCAAT, regardless of who is playing (which my family does), the Weauxfgods do not take note. If you're articulating a particular team, the Weauxfgods do take note. Let's be careful, people!

Just plan dinner around both games. I'm thinking a 1:00pm dinner, which should be done by the 2:00pm Road to the Final Four show, then a snack around 4:30ish and leftovers around 8pm (all times EDT). West coasters can plan dinner after both games end, around 5:30ish. Of course, if the meal is being prepared by someone who isn't interested in watching the game, between games or halftimes becomes an option (in my family, everybody watches).

For those of you that have been shut down by the spouses, suggest the previous dinner schedule.

If that fails, one can put one's self in charge of the centerpiece, which will find one's cell phone artfully placed with the centerpiece in optimal viewing position, yet hidden from view of the spouse. Position your Bluetooth ear device on the ear away from your better half (help all other basketball fans at the dinner by pairing their Bluetooth devices before the meal begins). Be a wonderful spouse/host and start the conversation out on your spouse's/guests' favorite topic (one that you don't generally share) and enjoy the game captivating banter that renders you speechless.

Or there's airplane mode and DVR -- be sure to remind your guests that you are watching the games delayed, lest some helpful guest check their communication device and spill the beans.

Duke 81 LA
03-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Speaking for the non-Easter types (Jews), I have looked into this for an entirely different reason. Sunday is my wife's fiftieth birthdays.
We have already had a party, but planned on an overnight to Palm Sprngs (we live in LA) and a dinner at a nice restaurant.

Fortunately, the games will be at 11:30 am and 2:00 pm here (Pacific).

Of course, it is all MOOT unless Friday turns out the way we want.

Superstitious Jews call this planning for Sunday before the Friday outcome the "Keynohora" or evil eye.

Another version is someone saying the game is in the bag when we lead by 6 with a minute to play.

Another version is mentioning a pitcher is throwing a no hitter....

And so forth.

Those are all "Keynohoras"

This whole thread is a Keynohora.

I am hosting 12 people for Easter dinner on Sunday. And I can't set a time yet, as I don't know when Duke will be playing (you see - I am going to be optimistic!). There is no such thing as social interaction or casual conversation when the rabid fans in my family (4 Duke grads) watch Duke play, especially in a high stakes game. So I need to avoid any game times. But of course the non-Duke fans at the dinner are not unreasonable in wanting to know WHEN they should come to my house.

I checked the CBS website and they still say TBD. Any insights?

jmck214
03-28-2013, 12:50 PM
We rarely have any kind of company or family, so I was just told "NO!" for this. So my phone is probably going into Airplane mode and I'll have to DVR it. Assuming we win Friday (saying Hail Marys for weaxfing (sic)).

FWIW, she's REALLY awesome about things like this, our whole schedule changes around Duke Basketball. For a woman who grew up in Cali and didn't care about basketball until we met, she's awesome.

Just put her foot down on this one. Suggestions? I figure put my phone in airplane mode and DVR the game.

Help!

Is divorce an option? If not then maybe that 24 hour bug that hit a lot of Duke fans last Friday will hit you