PDA

View Full Version : Andre Dawkins talks about prepping for next season

mattman91
03-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Mods please move this to the appropriate thread if needed.

Found a cool little video of Andre working out and talking about what he has been doing this season to prepare for next season, and better yet heal emotionally. I know I'm not the only one excited to have his jump shot and smile back on the court next season. Good luck Dre!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDJoDzTZ_B4

TruBlu
03-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Great find Mattman.

I had not heard anything about him working out. This is really great news!

Lunchab1es
03-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Thank you for posting this video. It seems that the time off has been really beneficial for Andre's well being- he sounds like feels more at peace. He also looks way older than I remember!

JasonEvans
03-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Fabulous find and great to hear 'Dre sounding comfortable with where his life is headed. He clearly has not given up on his Hoops Dreams and we all wish him the best with them. But, more importantly, he seems to have taken the time to heal some of the emotional scars. A great kid and I truly hope he finds all the success in the world!

-Jason "ridiculous depth next year for Duke... ridiculous" Evans

Kedsy
03-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Thank you for posting this video. It seems that the time off has been really beneficial for Andre's well being- he sounds like feels more at peace. He also looks way older than I remember!

Yeah, he looks older and he looks bigger and he sounds more at peace. Sounds like he sees himself coming back next year, too. Hopefully it will all work out for him and for Duke.

AsiaMinor
03-27-2013, 12:25 PM
This, other than having the winning score in the rest of the games, is the best news this tournament. I miss Andre.
Whatever is best for him, of course, but like most of you I'd sure welcome him "home".

Indoor66
03-27-2013, 12:36 PM
This, other than having the winning score in the rest of the games, is the best news this tournament. I miss Andre.
Whatever is best for him, of course, but like most of you I'd sure welcome him "home".

I can't wait to see that smile back on the court. That is worth the price of admission, in and of itself. Welcome back, Andre. :D

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
I've been extremely careful about any and all comments regarding Andre this season, being very aware of the fact that he felt the need to spend time away from the program. I didn't feel it was appropriate to project/guess/hope/critique his potential for next season, out of respect for his stated desire to be out of the spotlight as needed.

This is GREAT news, both for his personal growth and his potential to contribute to next year's team. I will be rooting for him as hard as I can.

Go Duke!

nmduke2001
03-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks for posting. Dre and JJ are my favorite players in the last decade. Dre was nice enough to take a photo with my daughter in Hawaii last year. The look on his face when I asked him to hold my 18 month old was priceless. He happily agreed despite the awkward request. Anyway, I miss seeing him out there and am really excited to have him back next year. He looks like he's really working on his game. Good for him. I must confess, I sometime wish he was draining threes this year, but his health and well-being are what is important and seeing him in a Duke uniform again can wait a year.

BD80
03-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Duke may be able to sell tickets to the practices next year. The "blue" squad will be better than at least half of the starting line-ups in the ACC next year

CDu
03-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Duke may be able to sell tickets to the practices next year. The "blue" squad will be better than at least half of the starting line-ups in the ACC next year

Yeah, we'll be super deep (even though it is doubtful we'll actually use that depth in games, of course).

Speculative white team: Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, Parker, Jefferson/Hairston
Speculative blue team: Thornton, Jones, Dawkins, Murphy, Hairston/Jefferson
Members at large: Ojeleye, Plumlee

As one who was skeptical as to whether Dawkins would return to play next year, this is a pleasant surprise. It sounds like he's found or is finding a good place personally, and that's the most important thing. Getting him back for his senior year would just be a terrific bonus as a fan.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Great find and awesome to see Dre working on his game. He does look a lot older, that's the first thing that came to my mind lol.

Interesting to see he's working out at Riverside HS in Durham. Any locals should venture over there and try to watch him from the stands and let us know how he looks in person :)

Lastly, assuming he is coming back next year and Sheed coming back, should the staff think about red-shirting Matt Jones?? Maybe that is another discussion for a later day, but can't help but think.

Cameron
03-27-2013, 01:50 PM
We will hands down have the best three-point shooting team in the country next season, when you factor in the length and sheer number of our marksmen.

Shooting guards: 6-4 Andre Dawkins (who many will label as the premier shooter in the country in 2013-14), 6-4 Matt Jones and 6-4 Rasheed Sulaimon

Point guard: 6-1 Quinn Cook and the streaky yet clutch 6-1 Tyler Thornton

Forwards: 6-8 Rodney Hood and 6-9 Jabari Parker

Wildcards: 6-8 Alex Murphy and 6-6 Semi Ojeleye

Can you deal with that, Jimmy Boehiem!

There were a lot of people here who really undervalued the shooters we have on this team heading into the season, and they turned out the third best three-point shooting team percentage-wise in the nation. Next year is going to be insane with Andre back.

JasonEvans
03-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Yeah, we'll be super deep (even though it is doubtful we'll actually use that depth in games, of course).

Speculative white team: Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, Parker, Jefferson/Hairston
Speculative blue team: Thornton, Jones, Dawkins, Murphy, Hairston/Jefferson
Members at large: Ojeleye, Plumlee

While I hate to have a discussion of Andre's wonderful comments and healing crowded out by a discussion of next year (especially at a time when this year's Blue Devils are having such a stellar season), I am nonetheless going to delve into it a bit by pointing something out.

What makes the team next year so additionally tantalizing is that it is going to be soooo experienced.

1 year in college - Parker, Jones, Ojeleye
2 years in college - Suliamon, Jefferson
3 years in college - Cook, Hood, Murphy, Plumlee
4 years in college - Hairston, Thornton
5 years in college - Dawkins

Folks, we are going to somehow have a roster littered with future pros that is also littered with experience. A true rarity in college hoops.

-Jason "...gotta wear shades!" Evans

Bluedog
03-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Great find! Good to hear about Andre working out and he definitely looks older. Not trying to stir the pot or anything, but Andre is on pace on graduate this year from Duke, right? Theoretically, if he wanted to, he could enroll in graduate school at another university and not have to sit out a year if he would rather be the "go to" guy on a team (which I certainly would not begrudge him for). Although I'd love to have him on the Duke team for sure. I really think Andre has potential to make an NBA team if he demonstrates his shooting and athletic abilities next season, while incorporating perhaps a more mid-range/driving ability. It's perhaps more of a longshot at this point, but certainly possible. And, yes, he's not just a shooter and won Duke's dunk contest one year, so clearly has the tools. Hope this year off has made him more at peace and I expect to see good things next year from him!

CDu
03-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Lastly, assuming he is coming back next year and Sheed coming back, should the staff think about red-shirting Matt Jones?? Maybe that is another discussion for a later day, but can't help but think.

There will certainly be at least 2-3 guys playing way fewer minutes than their talent would suggest, that's for sure. The redshirt/no-redshirt decision for any particular player would obviously be a decision that needs to be made/agreed upon by both the player and coaches.

miramar
03-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Andre seems very comfortable with his progress, which is great to hear.

The videos also showed him putting the ball on the floor and trying to become much more than a jump shooter, so the year off might be the best thing that could have happened to his game.

CDu
03-27-2013, 02:29 PM
While I hate to have a discussion of Andre's wonderful comments and healing crowded out by a discussion of next year (especially at a time when this year's Blue Devils are having such a stellar season), I am nonetheless going to delve into it a bit by pointing something out.

What makes the team next year so additionally tantalizing is that it is going to be soooo experienced.

Folks, we are going to somehow have a roster littered with future pros that is also littered with experience. A true rarity in college hoops.

Yeah, I do feel bad for having started us down this path (perhaps it'll get moved to another thread). But quite literally the only question mark is what we'll do in the post. In every other conceivable way, we're stacked:

PG play: we'll have an All-ACC PG and a senior backup
Perimeter shooting: Dawkins, Sulaimon, and Cook have all shot at or above 38% from 3pt range at some point in their careers; Jones is allegedly a fantastic 3pt shooter; Hood and Parker have good range for forwards.
Size and versatility on the perimeter: we'll have only 2 guys under 6'4", and we'll have multiple 6'6"+ options at SF
Athleticism: Dawkins, Sulaimon, and Ojeleye are elite athletes; Parker and Hood are very good athletes as well.

The only question is how able we are to handle teams with size inside. If Plumlee, Jefferson, Parker, and Hairston prove capable of handling the PF/C spots next year, we'll have no holes. That's still a big if, of course. And we could potentially work around it anyway. But man, what a potentially amazing roster.

Turtleboy
03-27-2013, 02:34 PM

-Jason "...gotta wear shades!" EvansYou seem to be adding up. Parker, Jones and Ojeleye won't have one year's experience in college until May 2014. Which, of course, is after the season is over. The same reasoning applies to the others on your list.

-bdbd
03-27-2013, 02:44 PM
We will hands down have the best three-point shooting team in the country next season, when you factor in the length and sheer number of our marksmen.

Shooting guards: 6-4 Andre Dawkins (who many will label as the premier shooter in the country in 2013-14), 6-4 Matt Jones and 6-4 Rasheed Sulaimon

There were a lot of people here who really undervalued the shooters we have on this team heading into the season, and they turned out the third best three-point shooting team percentage-wise in the nation. Next year is going to be insane with Andre back.

Great find. Thanks.

Add in to Cameron's list our PF's Hairston (well, he THINKS he is a 3-point shooter!) and AJ, and Center MP3, and this will be a supremely talented and deep squad. Might finally tempt K to go deeper than a 7-man rotation. Nah! I could see this being a terrific run-and-gun squad. Obviously the haters/skeptics will all point to us as a "doughnut" team - no quality in the center. (Of course the Heel fans will say that we're just copying them, playing a lot of small-ball......... :rolleyes: Maybe Dean invented that too now?? ;) ) Can't wait!!!

Welcome back Andre!

J4Kop99
03-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the video and I'm glad to see that Andre seems to be feeling a lot better.

-It's not that I completely forgot about him but with him taking the year off, you forget about how talented he is. Someone said it above me, but he definitely looks older and although he was wearing a long sleeve shirt, he looks bigger too. (in a good way)

I'm happy for him and I wish him the best. I look forward to seeing him play again.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Great find. Thanks.

Add in to Cameron's list our PF's Hairston (well, he THINKS he is a 3-point shooter!) and AJ, and Center MP3, and this will be a supremely talented and deep squad. Might finally tempt K to go deeper than a 7-man rotation. Nah! I could see this being a terrific run-and-gun squad. Obviously the haters/skeptics will all point to us as a "doughnut" team - no quality in the center. (Of course the Heel fans will say that we're just copying them, playing a lot of small-ball......... :rolleyes: Maybe Dean invented that too now?? ;) ) Can't wait!!!

Welcome back Andre!

Well the good thing is that we'll have so much talent at the other positions, we won't need to have a go-to post player other than for defense and rebounding, and some occasional feeding to keep defenses honest. It's not like we'll have an actual void in the middle. We have personnel, they just need to develop a bit more.

wilko
03-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Considering the Coaching merry-go-round in progress right now...
I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up a refugee from another team... No news.. no insight.. just a hunch..

CDu
03-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Considering the Coaching merry-go-round in progress right now...
I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up a refugee from another team... No news.. no insight.. just a hunch..

Idunno. We're already at 12 scholarship players for next year. While adding a quality big man would be nice, we'd then have 4-5 guys who might be displeased with their minutes. Part of me things that we'll roll with what we've got at this point. Hope that 3rd-year Marshall Plumlee, 4th-year Hairston, and 2nd-year Jefferson are ready to handle the load inside and let our ridiculous perimeter talent do the rest.

wilko
03-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Hope that 3rd-year Marshall Plumlee, 4th-year Hairston, and 2nd-year Jefferson are ready to handle the load inside and let our ridiculous perimeter talent do the rest.

If I were to bet.... this is the way I'd go.... My proposed scenario is unlikely, but then again, how do you tell Kyle Anderson "no thanks" if hes looking to transfer and is immediately available?

My hope is Semi grows 3 inches taller before he sets foot on campus..

uh_no
03-27-2013, 03:35 PM

why ya gotta shortchange marshall like that? I hear rumors he can shoot with the best of them (and by "them" I mean the plumlees :)....he's at least as good as his brothers from behind the arc)

CDu
03-27-2013, 03:38 PM
If I were to bet.... this is the way I'd go.... My proposed scenario is unlikely, but then again, how do you tell Kyle Anderson "no thanks" if hes looking to transfer and is immediately available?.

Well, you don't tell him no. But there's very little chance that Anderson would be eligible to play next year if he transferred to Duke. We'd be talking about 5th-year guys who have graduated and are looking to play somewhere else. Those type of guys aren't the type of guys that will make or break a season, and I doubt they'd have an edge over our current options (given their lack of experience).

NSDukeFan
03-27-2013, 03:43 PM
why ya gotta shortchange marshall like that? I hear rumors he can shoot with the best of them (and by "them" I mean the plumlees :)....he's at least as good as his brothers from behind the arc)

I don't know if he is as good a shooter as Miles, statistically the greatest 3 point shooter in Duke history.

Cameron
03-27-2013, 03:44 PM

According to Perky, I'm sure Marshall has the touch of Rick Mount, the speed of Barry Sanders, the aerial attack of T-Mac, the technical skill of Brian Boitano and the grace of Sally Field. :D

somf4eva
03-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks for posting that video. It is great to see Dre working with a basketball and preparing for next year.

rsvman
03-27-2013, 06:24 PM
According to Perky, I'm sure Marshall has the touch of Rick Mount, the speed of Barry Sanders, the aerial attack of T-Mac, the technical skill of Brian Boitano and the grace of Sally Field. :D

I heard that Marshall is playing really well in the practices, but not quite as awesomely as Nick Horvath.

mr. synellinden
03-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Well, you don't tell him no. But there's very little chance that Anderson would be eligible to play next year if he transferred to Duke. We'd be talking about 5th-year guys who have graduated and are looking to play somewhere else. Those type of guys aren't the type of guys that will make or break a season, and I doubt they'd have an edge over our current options (given their lack of experience).

You might tell him no. What happens if Tyus Jones commits?

Maybe Kyle Anderson isn't the right fit for a variety of reasons.

CDu
03-27-2013, 07:14 PM
You might tell him no. What happens if Tyus Jones commits?

Maybe Kyle Anderson isn't the right fit for a variety of reasons.

Not really the point, but sure. The previous poster was simply trying to present an example of a case where we might be willing to use our 13th scholarship for next season. Discussing the implications on the 2014-2015 scholarship situation is a different animal. The point of my response was that Anderson won't be available for next season. The type of guys who would be available next season are the 5th year guys.

Your point is valid for the following season (i.e., if Jones commits, then Anderson's value/role is diminished some). But Anderson was just a hypothetical example and the discussion was regarding next year (at least that's how I understood the post, and how I responded).

sagegrouse
03-27-2013, 07:24 PM
If he comes back, I don't know that Dawkins would be a 30+mpg guy next year. But I would be shocked if he wasn't a 20+mpg guy.

I guess I have the opposite view. I will believe Dawkins is a valuable member of the 2014 team when it happens. "Broken service" is really tough, as Ricky Price demonstrated. But still, I hope that I'm wrong.

sagegrouse

dukeofcalabash
03-27-2013, 07:34 PM

Maybe Coach can have two 7-man rotations, one for each half?

mr. synellinden
03-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Not really the point, but sure. The previous poster was simply trying to present an example of a case where we might be willing to use our 13th scholarship for next season. Discussing the implications on the 2014-2015 scholarship situation is a different animal. The point of my response was that Anderson won't be available for next season. The type of guys who would be available next season are the 5th year guys.

Your point is valid for the following season (i.e., if Jones commits, then Anderson's value/role is diminished some). But Anderson was just a hypothetical example and the discussion was regarding next year (at least that's how I understood the post, and how I responded).

Okay sorry - I lost that in translation. I was taking it as, you don't say no to Kyle Anderson if he wants to transfer under any circumstances - hence my response. Again, apologies for the confusion.

OldPhiKap
03-27-2013, 08:03 PM
I am happy for Dre and look forward to seeing him on our court soon. Opk

CDu
03-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Okay sorry - I lost that in translation. I was taking it as, you don't say no to Kyle Anderson if he wants to transfer under any circumstances - hence my response. Again, apologies for the confusion.

No sweat - easy mistake. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

BD80
03-27-2013, 09:01 PM

And yet, not as "experienced" as this year's Miami squad, average age in the neighborhood of 27.

Newton_14
03-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Folks, several posts in this thread were removed. Negative speculation and rumor mongering will not be tolerated, and given the nature of Andre's case, the thread will be moderated tighter. Please keep the comments related to how well Andre is progressing, and how he can help his team next year. That team is Duke unless you have link to a mainstream media outlet stating otherwise.

Thanks

dukebballcamper90-91
03-27-2013, 10:29 PM
He didn't miss a shot! Thanks for the post

cbarry
03-27-2013, 10:34 PM
This is great news! I honestly thought that Andre would not return to the Duke basketball team. I'm glad to hear he is working out and looking forward to rejoining the team next year!

Struggling golfer
03-28-2013, 03:32 AM

There is no one's opinion that I respect more on this Board than yours, so ,while I agree with what you wrote, my question is who is going to rebound next year for Duke. This year Duke was not a very good rebounding team, quite poor offensively, but next year seems worse with only Marshall Plumlee our top threat, and he has not shown anything to date to indicate that he is going to be the guy.

roywhite
03-28-2013, 07:24 AM
There is no one's opinion that I respect more on this Board than yours, so ,while I agree with what you wrote, my question is who is going to rebound next year for Duke. This year Duke was not a very good rebounding team, quite poor offensively, but next year seems worse with only Marshall Plumlee our top threat, and he has not shown anything to date to indicate that he is going to be the guy.

Rebounding will have to be a team effort next year, as Mason will be missed. Potential starters Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, and Parker have decent size and rebounding potential for their positions. In the middle -- a tag team of Jefferson/Plumlee/Hairston will be tasked with defense and rebounding. As noted, there will be good team depth and very good scoring potential. I expect this team will push the pace and try to avoid a slow, grind-it-out game vs physically strong opponents.

gocanes0506
03-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Its still way too early for next season talk but we could be looking at the olympics style team. A lot of uptempo and trying to keep the opposing team out of a half court set.

davekay1971
03-28-2013, 08:55 AM

Agreed that rebounding will be a team effort. Jefferson is a very good rebounder, Josh can rebound, and our guards will HAVE to get in there and rebound. This year, I think our team has a tendency to assume Mason is going to grab the boards. He's the best rebounder we've had here in awhile, and he does a great job on the glass...but our team rebounding suffers when the guards operate on the assumption that "Mason's got that." Next year, unless Marshall makes enough strides to become a solid starter and reliable rebounder, I think our team will go into the season knowing that EVERYONE has to rebound.

But, boy, with Dre back to go along with the rest of that perimeter...the other team better pick up and guard the moment we cross halfcourt.

killerleft
03-28-2013, 09:08 AM
I guess I have the opposite view. I will believe Dawkins is a valuable member of the 2014 team when it happens. "Broken service" is really tough, as Ricky Price demonstrated. But still, I hope that I'm wrong.

sagegrouse

I agree with you, sagegrouse. Andre has shown what he can do, and I would be very surprised if he wasn't significantly better when he comes back.

CDu
03-28-2013, 09:28 AM
I agree with you, sagegrouse. Andre has shown what he can do, and I would be very surprised if he wasn't significantly better when he comes back.

From your post it sounds like you disagree (i.e., you think Dawkins will make an impact).

As for sagegrouse's comment, I think it's apples to oranges with regard to the Price situation. Price was a pretty inefficient player who had his best years on Duke's two worst teams of the last 30 years (1995 and 1996). As a junior, he had already been relegated to the bench by the freshman version of Carrawell. In his senior year, he had the misfortune of being stuck on a loaded roster that had all of the main perimeter players as 1997 plus Battier and Avery (both of whom were simply better than Price).

Also, Price attempted to return during the season. So along with all the issues noted above, Price had to overcome the challenge of reassimilating on the fly with a group that was already developing continuity. Dawkins won't have any of those same problem. He'd be joining the team before the season (presumably during the summer), and he'd be joining a team that will already be having lots of turnover.

And, not least importantly, Price's absence from the team was self-inflicted. He didn't show the dedication to academics to stay eligible. Dawkins' absence stemmed from circumstances beyond his control. So whereas Dawkins would presumably return with a clean slate, Price probably had more to prove to Coach K upon his return.

Now, all that said, it's certainly possible that Dawkins could have a tough time getting back into the rotation. But I doubt it. A fifth year senior who will likely be the best 3pt shooter on the team will likely beat out a freshman whose primary skill is the same as Dawkins' but has less athleticism.

em0526
03-28-2013, 09:29 AM
For me the gold standard for perimeter athleticism at Duke was '92 team with G. Hill, T. Hill, Davis, Lang and Clark. They all could rebound, defend and get out on the break and finish strong. I remember them just getting the ball to Hurley and then Hurley finding them in transition for some monster finishes.

Although the '99 team was dominant, I rate their perimeter of Magette, Battier, Carawell and James slightly behind the '92 team in terms of pure athleticism (although Magette was a freak!).

I think the '13 - '14 team could be up there athletically with those groups: Hood, Parker, Sulaimon, Murphy and Dawkins. I am extremely excited to see some of the potential highlights for next year! It could be them just getting the ball to Cook and Cook finding them in transition for some monster finishes.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2013, 10:24 AM
He didn't miss a shot! Thanks for the post

Don't act surprised - Andre hasn't missed a shot all season!

Go Duke! Go Andre!

Wander
03-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Potential starters Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, and Parker have decent size and rebounding potential for their positions.

Well, they have decent size and rebounding potential for their normal positions. Would anyone here be shocked if our go-to lineup ends up being Cook, Dawkins, Sulaimon, Hood, and Parker?

CDu
03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Well, they have decent size and rebounding potential for their normal positions. Would anyone here be shocked if our go-to lineup ends up being Cook, Dawkins, Sulaimon, Hood, and Parker?

I would not be shocked to see that lineup some. I'd be less shocked to see a Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, Jefferson, Parker, with Dawkins subbing for Sulaimon and Hood. I think Jefferson is a little more interior-oriented than Hood.

But I could certainly see a scenario in which Coach K decides to go smaller rather than playing a more limited player at C.

Scorp4me
03-28-2013, 11:18 AM

I'm surprised it took anyone this long to suggest it. I think that's the lineup, much to the consternation of the board posters, that we'll see next year.

flyingdutchdevil
03-28-2013, 02:25 PM

I would be absolutely shocked to see this as our starting line-up, or even our go-to lineup. I think it's safe to say that Cook and Sully will be starters next year. Also, I don't think anyone here believes that Parker will not start at the 4. Hood has been called our "best player" this year and clearly has the talent to start at the 3. His size, speed, and ability to put the ball on the floor are huge assets. I think that he will be a starter for the whole year, but I could be wrong. If we insert Dawkins into this lineup (and hence shifting Sully, Hood, and Parker to the 3, 4, and 5), where is the rebounding? Parker isn't known as a rebounder (his only deviation from the Melo comparisons) and Hood averaged 5 rebounds as a freshman (better than I thought, but not elite).

If we need to score 6 points really quickly, I think this lineup could be used, but I tend to believe that Cook, Sully, Hood, Parker, and Jefferson +20 pounds will be both our starting lineup and go-to lineup.

azzefkram
03-28-2013, 03:06 PM
I would be absolutely shocked to see this as our starting line-up, or even our go-to lineup. I think it's safe to say that Cook and Sully will be starters next year. Also, I don't think anyone here believes that Parker will not start at the 4. Hood has been called our "best player" this year and clearly has the talent to start at the 3. His size, speed, and ability to put the ball on the floor are huge assets. I think that he will be a starter for the whole year, but I could be wrong. If we insert Dawkins into this lineup (and hence shifting Sully, Hood, and Parker to the 3, 4, and 5), where is the rebounding? Parker isn't known as a rebounder (his only deviation from the Melo comparisons) and Hood averaged 5 rebounds as a freshman (better than I thought, but not elite).

If we need to score 6 points really quickly, I think this lineup could be used, but I tend to believe that Cook, Sully, Hood, Parker, and Jefferson +20 pounds will be both our starting lineup and go-to lineup.

Couldn't agree more. Another thing is defense. Two of the guys are unknown at this point. One is a poor defender, one okay and one good/great. Given the fact that we just went through a year when several guys were glued to the bench due to defensive shortcomings, I have a tough time believing this would be a major line-up. I am also a bit leery of Hood, since I have heard this "best player" story before. That's not to say I think he's bad/will be bad. I just want to see him play with a Duke jersey on before penciling him into a starting line-up.

I hope Andre comes back but more importantly I hope he is in a happier/better place.

jimsumner
03-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Dawkins' references to playing next season could refer to playing at Duke, playing as a grad student at another school or playing in the NBA, the NBDL or playing in Europe.

Need to wait and let this play out.

No pun intended. :)

dukelifer
03-28-2013, 03:27 PM
I would not be shocked to see that lineup some. I'd be less shocked to see a Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, Jefferson, Parker, with Dawkins subbing for Sulaimon and Hood. I think Jefferson is a little more interior-oriented than Hood.

But I could certainly see a scenario in which Coach K decides to go smaller rather than playing a more limited player at C.

We also expect that Jefferson will grow 2 inches and gain 20 lbs in the off season ;)

jimsumner
03-28-2013, 03:30 PM
We also expect that Jefferson will grow 2 inches and gain 20 lbs in the off season ;)

Well, I've been trying to grow two inches since LBJ was president.

But I'm still 5-10.

But those 20 pounds? Not a problem.

flyingdutchdevil
03-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Well, I've been trying to grow two inches since LBJ was president.

But I'm still 5-10.

But those 20 pounds? Not a problem.

I hope so. But gaining weight is a combination of variables, include genetics. Hope Jefferson doesn't have the John Henson gene.

A lot of 5s have come through Durham listed at 6'8". Amile may be on the short end, but he'll be just fine at the 5 if he does indeed gain that weight.

CDu
03-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Dawkins' references to playing next season could refer to playing at Duke, playing as a grad student at another school or playing in the NBA, the NBDL or playing in Europe.

Need to wait and let this play out.

No pun intended. :)

It's highly doubtful he'd be NBA-bound next year. But I agree that all of the other options should best be considered possibilities until he makes his decision.

jimsumner
03-28-2013, 03:46 PM
It's highly doubtful he'd be NBA-bound next year. But I agree that all of the other options should best be considered possibilities until he makes his decision.

The NBDL is populated by guys who over-valued their attractiveness to the NBA.

killerleft
03-28-2013, 03:46 PM
From your post it sounds like you disagree (i.e., you think Dawkins will make an impact).

As for sagegrouse's comment, I think it's apples to oranges with regard to the Price situation. Price was a pretty inefficient player who had his best years on Duke's two worst teams of the last 30 years (1995 and 1996). As a junior, he had already been relegated to the bench by the freshman version of Carrawell. In his senior year, he had the misfortune of being stuck on a loaded roster that had all of the main perimeter players as 1997 plus Battier and Avery (both of whom were simply better than Price).

Also, Price attempted to return during the season. So along with all the issues noted above, Price had to overcome the challenge of reassimilating on the fly with a group that was already developing continuity. Dawkins won't have any of those same problem. He'd be joining the team before the season (presumably during the summer), and he'd be joining a team that will already be having lots of turnover.

And, not least importantly, Price's absence from the team was self-inflicted. He didn't show the dedication to academics to stay eligible. Dawkins' absence stemmed from circumstances beyond his control. So whereas Dawkins would presumably return with a clean slate, Price probably had more to prove to Coach K upon his return.

Now, all that said, it's certainly possible that Dawkins could have a tough time getting back into the rotation. But I doubt it. A fifth year senior who will likely be the best 3pt shooter on the team will likely beat out a freshman whose primary skill is the same as Dawkins' but has less athleticism.

I think you're right about sage's post (I just read the middle sentence, I guess) and I agree with your reasoning. There's no doubt that Andre is a major talent. Combine that with a fresh outlook and the time he's had to work on his game, and Andre should be fine. There would seem to be no doubt that every goal Andre set for himself before coming to Duke will still be within reach.

mr. synellinden
04-08-2013, 01:32 PM

Well - this (http://www.nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft) is at least one indication that Dawkins is on the NBA radar screen. NBAdraft.net has him as the last pick in the second round of the 2014 draft.

Weighing in on the lineup discussion - if Andre comes back, I would not be surprised at all to see a frequent lineup of Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, Dawkins and Parker, particularly at the end of games. All decent or very good ballhandlers and all good FT shooters. I do think Jefferson is most likely to start at C, and I expect him to make a big freshman to sophomore year leap. I also wouldn't be surprised if he comes back next season at anywhere from 210 - 220.

MChambers
04-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Well - this (http://www.nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft) is at least one indication that Dawkins is on the NBA radar screen. NBAdraft.net has him as the last pick in the second round of the 2014 draft.

Weighing in on the lineup discussion - if Andre comes back, I would not be surprised at all to see a frequent lineup of Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, Dawkins and Parker, particularly at the end of games. All decent or very good ballhandlers and all good FT shooters. I do think Jefferson is most likely to start at C, and I expect him to make a big freshman to sophomore year leap. I also wouldn't be surprised if he comes back next season at anywhere from 210 - 220.
I'd be surprised, but perhaps I'm wrong. Unless he's improved his handle, Andre is not a decent ballhandler. If Duke goes small at the end of games, I'd be surprised if Thornton wasn't in there.

CDu
04-08-2013, 01:56 PM
I'd be surprised, but perhaps I'm wrong. Unless he's improved his handle, Andre is not a decent ballhandler. If Duke goes small at the end of games, I'd be surprised if Thornton wasn't in there.

I agree. Unless Dawkins has improved as a ballhandler during his time away from Duke basketball, I can't imagine that he'd be the guy we'd turn to as the 5th player on the floor. Thornton (better ballhandler, also a very solid FT shooter) makes more sense as the 5th guy if we're going to go with a 3 guard/1 SF/1 PF lineup.

lotusland
04-08-2013, 02:53 PM
I agree. Unless Dawkins has improved as a ballhandler during his time away from Duke basketball, I can't imagine that he'd be the guy we'd turn to as the 5th player on the floor. Thornton (better ballhandler, also a very solid FT shooter) makes more sense as the 5th guy if we're going to go with a 3 guard/1 SF/1 PF lineup.

In a close game I'd play TT if I'm ahead and Dre if I'm behind in the last two minutes.

BD80
04-08-2013, 03:56 PM

Much of Dre's "ballhandling" issues were actually more of issues with his decision making, trying to dribble without full awareness of the defense or his options. Tyler is not all that "skilled" as a ballhandler, but he has learned to make much safer decisions. If we are simply discussing this year's Tyler vs last year's Dre, I would tend to agree.

HOWEVER, Dre struggled with consistency and focus last year, and in many respects regressed from the previous year. His year away was to help him recover emotionally from a family loss that is unimaginable to many of us. It is certainly possible that the year off has given Dre an improved outlook generally and as a result a better outlook and focus on the game of basketball. Improved focus could certainly help his defense and I would suggest his "ballhandling" choices. There is little doubt that he is a better run/jump athlete than Tyler, and creates more of a threat to take the ball to the basket than Tyler.

Tyler is very ineffectual with the ball when the clock winds down. He cannot create his own shot and is little threat to beat his man off the dribble to the basket. Thus, if Dre returns in the right frame of mind, I think he is the better choice in late game situations because he can break a defense down more effectively than Tyler and can defend a greater range of players because of his height and athleticism (we often switch on all screens in end game situations).

CDu
04-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Much of Dre's "ballhandling" issues were actually more of issues with his decision making, trying to dribble without full awareness of the defense or his options. Tyler is not all that "skilled" as a ballhandler, but he has learned to make much safer decisions. If we are simply discussing this year's Tyler vs last year's Dre, I would tend to agree.

HOWEVER, Dre struggled with consistency and focus last year, and in many respects regressed from the previous year. His year away was to help him recover emotionally from a family loss that is unimaginable to many of us. It is certainly possible that the year off has given Dre an improved outlook generally and as a result a better outlook and focus on the game of basketball. Improved focus could certainly help his defense and I would suggest his "ballhandling" choices. There is little doubt that he is a better run/jump athlete than Tyler, and creates more of a threat to take the ball to the basket than Tyler.

Tyler is very ineffectual with the ball when the clock winds down. He cannot create his own shot and is little threat to beat his man off the dribble to the basket. Thus, if Dre returns in the right frame of mind, I think he is the better choice in late game situations because he can break a defense down more effectively than Tyler and can defend a greater range of players because of his height and athleticism (we often switch on all screens in end game situations).

I've seen nothing in either players' games to suggest they are going to break anyone down off the dribble. And I can't believe anyone would use the "he can defend a wider range of players" argument in favor of Dawkins over Thornton (I'd say it should be the other way around).

Dawkins is clearly more athletic than Thornton. He's a bit taller than Thornton (though not much). And he's a better 3pt shooter than Thornton. He certainly has the physical potential to do the things you suggest (defend more players, break guys down off the dribble). But he has never shown (not even a little) those aspects of his game in his Duke career. I see little reason to expect a dramatic jump in either of those areas (at least not to the point to catch up to Thornton).

As for the question of late-game roles next year:
When leading: I'd rather have the steadier ballhandler and better defender out there, because we'll have plenty of guys who can shoot/score and what we don't need is turnovers. That would mean Thornton.
When trailing: I'd rather have the more potent 3pt threat. That would mean Dawkins.

ncexnyc
04-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Andre’s potential is quite mesmerizing, unfortunately in the three years that he suited up for Duke he was never able to show the consistency needed to become a solid starter let alone the first man off the bench type player teams need.

Some on this board expect big things from him next year, but with a year away from organized ball I wouldn’t bet on it. I hope I’ll eat some crow on this one at the end of next season, but I doubt it will happen.

dukelifer
04-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Andre’s potential is quite mesmerizing, unfortunately in the three years that he suited up for Duke he was never able to show the consistency needed to become a solid starter let alone the first man off the bench type player teams need.

Some on this board expect big things from him next year, but with a year away from organized ball I wouldn’t bet on it. I hope I’ll eat some crow on this one at the end of next season, but I doubt it will happen.

Consistency is mental and requires focus. Andre may be the first to admit that this was an issue for him for a variety of personal reasons-hence the layoff. There is clear talent but it remains to be seen if it can be pulled together. Self- Confidence is a fragile thing in sports.

NSDukeFan
04-08-2013, 10:01 PM

I agree that Dawkins had a rough few games at the end of the 2011-12 season (8 points in the last 6 games), but I don't think that should overshadow the rest of his time at Duke. He did hit at least one three in 27 of the 34 games that year (4 of the o-fers were in those last 6 games), started 14 games for a top ten team. I think he has certainly shown that he can be a solid starter or certainly first of man off the bench player that many teams would dream having. Whether the lay-off hurts him or helps him, I don't think anyone knows.

ncexnyc
04-08-2013, 10:13 PM
I agree that Dawkins had a rough few games at the end of the 2011-12 season (8 points in the last 6 games), but I don't think that should overshadow the rest of his time at Duke. He did hit at least one three in 27 of the 34 games that year (4 of the o-fers were in those last 6 games), started 14 games for a top ten team. I think he has certainly shown that he can be a solid starter or certainly first of man off the bench player that many teams would dream having. Whether the lay-off hurts him or helps him, I don't think anyone knows.
I hate to do this, but his career stats don't lead me to believe he'll be a major contributor to next year's team. One person even wrote that he'd provide the leadership, which we are losing with the departure of our three seniors. It would make a great story, but I find it really hard to believe that he could do this.

I also seem to recall that he had the sixth man role all but handed to him in 2011 and Seth took that job from him and then proceeded to move into the starting line-up when Kyrie went down.

Now Andre had that major tragedy in his life and he came to Duke a year ahead of time. He'll always have a place in the Duke family, but I fear that way too many people are expecting quite a lot from a young man who's magic stroke has seduced them into a false sense of what's to come.

NSDukeFan
04-08-2013, 10:19 PM
I hate to do this, but his career stats don't lead me to believe he'll be a major contributor to next year's team. One person even wrote that he'd provide the leadership, which we are losing with the departure of our three seniors. It would make a great story, but I find it really hard to believe that he could do this.

I also seem to recall that he had the sixth man role all but handed to him in 2011 and Seth took that job from him and then proceeded to move into the starting line-up when Kyrie went down.

Now Andre had that major tragedy in his life and he came to Duke a year ahead of time. He'll always have a place in the Duke family, but I fear that way too many people are expecting quite a lot from a young man who's magic stroke has seduced them into a false sense of what's to come.

What about his 8ppg average the last two years would make you believe he wouldn't be a contributor? I don't disagree with your basic argument that he may not be able to be much of a contributor next year, but I would argue that would be due to the year off, and nothing he has shown in his time at Duke, outside his last 6 games.

ncexnyc
04-08-2013, 11:02 PM
What about his 8ppg average the last two years would make you believe he wouldn't be a contributor? I don't disagree with your basic argument that he may not be able to be much of a contributor next year, but I would argue that would be due to the year off, and nothing he has shown in his time at Duke, outside his last 6 games.
I guess maybe we need to define what you and I consider, "contributor" means. While I believe he will be a solid citizen on our team I don't think he'll be a major factor like some on this board believe.

I think if you look back at Andre's first three years you'll see he's had issues on the defensive end. If you look at him on the offensive end of the floor you'll see a player who has these huge games once in a blue moon, but who is totally absent for several games on end. Consistency hasn't been Andre's middle name. Again, the emotional issues have to be taken into account as there's no telling how much it hurt his play, a fact I am willing to acknowledge.

NSDukeFan
04-08-2013, 11:20 PM
I guess maybe we need to define what you and I consider, "contributor" means. While I believe he will be a solid citizen on our team I don't think he'll be a major factor like some on this board believe.

I think if you look back at Andre's first three years you'll see he's had issues on the defensive end. If you look at him on the offensive end of the floor you'll see a player who has these huge games once in a blue moon, but who is totally absent for several games on end. Consistency hasn't been Andre's middle name. Again, the emotional issues have to be taken into account as there's no telling how much it hurt his play, a fact I am willing to acknowledge.

I agree he may not have been super consistent, but he does have 31 games in double digits and was the fifth leading scorer on the team his junior year and the fourth leading scorer (ahead of Mason and Ryan) on the team his sophomore year. That's a lot of blue moons. He's also a career 40% 3 pt. shooter despite any inconsistencies. If he is in shape and ready to play after a year off, I would expect him to contribute, hopefully for Duke.

ncexnyc
04-08-2013, 11:31 PM
I agree he may not have been super consistent, but he does have 31 games in double digits and was the fifth leading scorer on the team his junior year and the fourth leading scorer (ahead of Mason and Ryan) on the team his sophomore year. That's a lot of blue moons. He's also a career 40% 3 pt. shooter despite any inconsistencies. If he is in shape and ready to play after a year off, I would expect him to contribute, hopefully for Duke.
I think we all agree that we'd love to see a happy and productive Andre next season.

ChicagoCrazy84
04-08-2013, 11:48 PM

Look if you're a 40% 3pt shooter and a 5th year senior, you're going to play and you're going to be expected to contribute. I don't care if he was away from the game for a year. You could look at it like he tore his ACL, was out for the year, and was granted another year of eligibility. The only difference is he didn't have to rehab and re-train. He had a year off to work, work, work, and work some more. That is huge. Andre will be who he was. He won't come back and run the offense and be the primary ball handler but he will be a contributor and will play plenty because he will be better than he ever was. There's always a spot on a team for a guy that has his stroke and his athleticism.

Cameron
04-09-2013, 12:35 AM

Right on. It absolutely baffles me that people continue to think Andre will be a scrub or insignificantly contribute next season. It's illogical and, frankly, laughable.

Andre tallied 4 of Duke's 13 highest single-game point totals in 2011-12 -- that is more than Austin Rivers, more than Seth Curry, more than Ryan Kelly and more than Mason Plumlee. He had five games of 17 or more points, all five of which came against teams from the ACC, Big Ten and Pac 12, including the 26 he dropped on Michigan State in Madison Square Garden. Andre nailed three or more triples on 10 occasions, including hitting at least six treys three times, tops on the team. Against Wake Forest, he nailed seven three-pointers in one half, in what was one of the most astonishing shooting displays I have ever seen in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

He is a machine who, when the shooting light is on, is virtually unguardable. He will play a ton of minutes next season and factor importantly into our success. It's not even a discussion. The only way he won't is if he doesn't play at Duke.

ncexnyc
04-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Right on. It absolutely baffles me that people continue to think Andre will be a scrub or insignificantly contribute next season. It's illogical and, frankly, laughable.

Andre tallied 4 of Duke's 13 highest single-game point totals in 2011-12 -- that is more than Austin Rivers, more than Seth Curry, more than Ryan Kelly and more than Mason Plumlee. He had five games of 17 or more points, all five of which came against teams from the ACC, Big Ten and Pac 12, including the 26 he dropped on Michigan State in Madison Square Garden. Andre nailed three or more triples on 10 occasions, including hitting at least six treys three times, tops on the team. Against Wake Forest, he nailed seven three-pointers in one half, in what was one of the most astonishing shooting displays I have ever seen in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

He is a machine who, when the shooting light is on, is virtually unguardable. He will play a ton of minutes next season and factor importantly into our success. It's not even a discussion. The only way he won't is if he doesn't play at Duke.

Why is it illogical or laughable to question Andre’s role on the team next year?

You mention four players from last year’s team and all four of them had better season stats than Andre, including Mason who didn’t exactly have a solid offensive game last year. If you want to say it’s because they tallied a lot more minutes than Dre did that’s fine, but that’s part of what I’ve been saying on this thread. The night in and night out consistency just isn’t there.

As I previously stated, Dre had the sixth man job locked down in 2011, but lost that role to Seth and in fact it was Seth who eventually won the starters role when Kyrie went down. As we’ve discussed numerous times this season Seth isn’t the fleetest of foot on the defensive end of the court, yet for some reason he eclipsed Dre both in 2011 and 2012. That should tell you something about Dre’s defense.

Yes, he has a silky smooth stroke and that is what is so tantalizing about him, but if he can’t bring it on both ends of the court every game I think you’re in for a rude awakening.

Kedsy
04-09-2013, 01:30 AM
I guess maybe we need to define what you and I consider, "contributor" means.

In Andre's three seasons at Duke, his offensive ratings were 117.2, 124.7, and 114.5. That sophomore year rating would have been best on Duke's 2012-13 team, and the worst of Andre's three oRatings would have been better than the 2012-13 oRatings of Mason, Rasheed, and Quinn. Over three seasons, Andre averaged 18.5 mpg and 6.9 ppg, while shooting 40.1% from three point land . If next year he hits his career averages, I'd call that being a major contributor.

Next year's team is arguably deeper than the teams Andre played on, so maybe you discount his career numbers a little, but I wouldn't think too much. He did take a year off, but based on the video at the top of this thread he's been working out hard and he looks more mature physically. We have no idea how much his emotional issues affected his play, but if they're really gone, if anything I'd expect improvement over his career numbers.

But of course you never know. All I'd say is, while I agree caution should be exercised when predicting Andre's contribution to the team, I'd be more likely to go with cautious optimism, rather than the cautious pessimism you seem to feel. But to each his own.

duke09hms
04-09-2013, 01:49 AM
In Andre's three seasons at Duke, his offensive ratings were 117.2, 124.7, and 114.5. That sophomore year rating would have been best on Duke's 2012-13 team, and the worst of Andre's three oRatings would have been better than the 2012-13 oRatings of Mason, Rasheed, and Quinn. Over three seasons, Andre averaged 18.5 mpg and 6.9 ppg, while shooting 40.1% from three point land . If next year he hits his career averages, I'd call that being a major contributor.

Next year's team is arguably deeper than the teams Andre played on, so maybe you discount his career numbers a little, but I wouldn't think too much. He did take a year off, but based on the video at the top of this thread he's been working out hard and he looks more mature physically. We have no idea how much his emotional issues affected his play, but if they're really gone, if anything I'd expect improvement over his career numbers.

But of course you never know. All I'd say is, while I agree caution should be exercised when predicting Andre's contribution to the team, I'd be more likely to go with cautious optimism, rather than the cautious pessimism you seem to feel. But to each his own.

I don't really think anyone is questioning his offensive contributions, so I don't know why you're bringing up his offensive ratings. It's the liability he presents on the defensive end, and how many times have we heard it said on this board, "defense gets you minutes at Duke." Someone pointed out how Seth, not exactly a defensive stalwart, took Andre's minutes in his last two seasons. And I recall last year, some industrious poster catalogued every defensive play for several games, and Andre came out quite poorly.

Andre will be a contributor next year at Duke a. if he comes, and b. if he's not too much worse than Rasheed, Tyler, Quinn, Rodney and better than Alex, Semi, and Matt Jones at guarding opposing guards/wings. He honestly might not be able to crack the backcourt rotation if a surprise contributor steps up defensively.

Kedsy
04-09-2013, 02:04 AM
I don't really think anyone is questioning his offensive contributions, so I don't know why you're bringing up his offensive ratings. It's the liability he presents on the defensive end, and how many times have we heard it said on this board, "defense gets you minutes at Duke." Someone pointed out how Seth, not exactly a defensive stalwart, took Andre's minutes in his last two seasons. And I recall last year, some industrious poster catalogued every defensive play for several games, and Andre came out quite poorly.

Andre will be a contributor next year at Duke a. if he comes, and b. if he's not too much worse than Rasheed, Tyler, Quinn, Rodney and better than Alex, Semi, and Matt Jones at guarding opposing guards/wings. He honestly might not be able to crack the backcourt rotation if a surprise contributor steps up defensively.

Well, he managed to average 18.5 mpg and make the offensive contributions you think nobody is questioning, despite the "liability he presents." Why would that change next season?

duke09hms
04-09-2013, 03:01 AM
Well, he managed to average 18.5 mpg and make the offensive contributions you think nobody is questioning, despite the "liability he presents." Why would that change next season?

Well he averaged those 18.5 mpg on a team that had no real small forward (Austin?) and little backcourt depth. At the 1, 2, 3, we only had Tyler, Seth, and Austin. K wasn't playing Quinn, Gbinije, or Murphy, leaving only Andre as the recipient of backup minutes. Simply because at least in K's eyes, he wasn't as bad/injured/unprepared as Quinn, Gbinije, or Murphy.

Next year our backcourt is deeper with strong starting options 1-3, we have Quinn, Sheed, and Hood locked into at least 30mpg at each of those positions. I wouldn't mind seeing Tyler, a smart tough team-defensive player (characteristics Andre has never shown to date), in there to back up Quinn and Sheed at the PG and SG spots. K loves Tyler, and will likely play him over Andre any day of the week, leaving Andre to fight it out with everyone else (Murph, Semi, Matt Jones) for Hood's backup minutes and scraps from the PG/SG. And if we ever go big lineup and slide Jabari down to the SF with Amile and Marshall in, that's even less minutes.

Best case: Andre gets all of Hood's backup minutes and some PG/SG reserve minutes. ~15mpg
Worst case: Tyler and a surprise defensive contributor leave Andre with ~ 5mpg

I'd like to see him put it all together, but given his past defensive liabilities, would not be surprised to see him buried on the bench.

Skitzle
04-09-2013, 06:21 AM
Best case: Andre gets all of Hood's backup minutes and some PG/SG reserve minutes. ~15mpg

I'd like to see him put it all together, but given his past defensive liabilities, would not be surprised to see him buried on the bench.

I had similar thoughts as well, but Jim Sumner made a great point. Dawkins won't stay at Duke to play ~5 mpg in mop up time, which I think is a very fair point.

With that in mind I think that it is safe to assume that IF Dawkins returns next year he is more likely to be in a 15 mpg range.

Likely Scenario: Significant Backup at 15 mpg (playing over Murphy)
Best Case Scenario (For Dawkins): Starter over Sheed. K has been known to take players OUT of the starting lineup if he see's it best for the team.

If Dre is Starter worthy, I still see him being our 6.5th man as the starting line-up should be offensively powerful enough that Dre's role of offense off the bench would make more sense than Sheed's Defense off the bench.

jcastranio
04-09-2013, 08:19 AM
...of the intangible that Andre brings. As good as they might be - no one on the current or incoming Duke roster has the ability to go mind-blowingly white-hot from three point range on multiple occasions like Andre. Won't do it every game. Make be a defensive liability at time (might not). But he does pose a threat to the other team that no one else does. He is a senior (plus). He has hit stone cold shots on the biggest stage. He will be surrounded by talent - talent on defense that could potentially "make-up" for any deficiency that he might bring. He has size (6'4") and leaping ability. He would not be obsessed with starting jobs or what his future looks like. He would likely be pleased to be part of a veteran crew that comes off the bench to destroy the opposing team (okay, I'm just guessing here). There is a big upside.

He could also, as a veteran, push the starters in practice and help to calm the mental worries of some top-notch younger players who are worrying about minutes next year (I mean somebody's not going to play).

In the end, however, Having a senior Andre Dawkins draining that third consecutive three late in the first half to push the lead to 15 and confound that other team. That's what I'm looking forward to - that feeling I get when he shoots and I wonder if the net is even going to move as the shot drops through. It takes a special shooter for that.

davekay1971
04-09-2013, 08:22 AM
If Dre is Starter worthy, I still see him being our 6.5th man as the starting line-up should be offensively powerful enough that Dre's role of offense off the bench would make more sense than Sheed's Defense off the bench.

I also see Dre's most likely role as coming off the bench as one of our first subs with the mission: get in there, go all out on defense, be active on offense to get open for threes. Dre would be one helluva weapon to come off the bench against some poor defender who's been chasing Sheed around for minutes on end.

CDu
04-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Well he averaged those 18.5 mpg on a team that had no real small forward (Austin?) and little backcourt depth. At the 1, 2, 3, we only had Tyler, Seth, and Austin. K wasn't playing Quinn, Gbinije, or Murphy, leaving only Andre as the recipient of backup minutes. Simply because at least in K's eyes, he wasn't as bad/injured/unprepared as Quinn, Gbinije, or Murphy.

Next year our backcourt is deeper with strong starting options 1-3, we have Quinn, Sheed, and Hood locked into at least 30mpg at each of those positions. I wouldn't mind seeing Tyler, a smart tough team-defensive player (characteristics Andre has never shown to date), in there to back up Quinn and Sheed at the PG and SG spots. K loves Tyler, and will likely play him over Andre any day of the week, leaving Andre to fight it out with everyone else (Murph, Semi, Matt Jones) for Hood's backup minutes and scraps from the PG/SG. And if we ever go big lineup and slide Jabari down to the SF with Amile and Marshall in, that's even less minutes.

I had similar thoughts as well, but Jim Sumner made a great point. Dawkins won't stay at Duke to play ~5 mpg in mop up time, which I think is a very fair point.

With that in mind I think that it is safe to assume that IF Dawkins returns next year he is more likely to be in a 15 mpg range.

Likely Scenario: Significant Backup at 15 mpg (playing over Murphy)
Best Case Scenario (For Dawkins): Starter over Sheed. K has been known to take players OUT of the starting lineup if he see's it best for the team.

I wholeheartedly agree with both of these posts. Dawkins has a much tougher road to playing on next year's team than he did on the teams in his sophomore and junior years (where we simply didn't have enough capable alternatives off the bench). So it's certainly possible that he'd see limited minutes next year. If that is the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go elsewhere. However, if he does return, I'd expect it to be because both he and Coach K are very confident that he'll be at least a 15-20mpg guy.

We'll see what happens.

dukeofcalabash
04-09-2013, 10:04 AM
What you have to worry about is his attitude towards a team that is completely different from the last one he played on. He and Curry had some good nights, but also some terrible shooting nights. Consistency is what wins championships and I'm not so sure Dawkins has it yet. Hopefully, IF he comes back, he can contribute whatever he has on a more consistent basis.

killerleft
04-09-2013, 10:20 AM

I would frankly be amazed to see Andre Dawkins "buried on the bench". So, I guess we can agree that we both hope that he is very much uncovered and visible next year, and logs well over your "best case" scenario. I wouldn't bet against Mr. Dawkins. A fifth-year senior with his potential is a very valuable guy to have around. One who has the potential to lead the ACC in scoring may play a lot of minutes.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-09-2013, 10:25 AM
What you have to worry about is his attitude towards a team that is completely different from the last one he played on. He and Curry had some good nights, but also some terrible shooting nights. Consistency is what wins championships and I'm not so sure Dawkins has it yet. Hopefully, IF he comes back, he can contribute whatever he has on a more consistent basis.

Or... you could look at it from the other point of view... He will be a championship-winning fifth-year senior on a Duke team that is going to be very talented, but young and needs some leadership. His time away from the team may actually help his confidence, consistency, and perspective on the game. He could be a very important piece on a team that will be long on potential, but short on experience.

This doesn't seem any less likely than your scenario.

Go Duke!

duke09hms
04-09-2013, 10:26 AM

I would rather say "defensive consistency" is what wins championships. In 2010, Scheyer was going through some nasty slumps, but that didn't affect his defense. Same with Nolan in the championship game against Butler, he shot something like 2-11 and missed several open bunnies right at the rim - didn't keep him from locking down his man. Our other teams since then have had potent offenses, but very uncharacteristically inconsistent defenses. Hence, some games we lock down great teams, other games we get blown out by mediocre/okay teams - MD/UVA.

The good news is that Andre's defensive deficiencies were mostly between his ears. Sure he didnt have the fastest lateral movement but neither did Scheyer. I'm not expecting him to reach Scheyer's defensive prowess, especially off-ball, which Jon excelled at, but if he could cut down on the stupid mental mistakes and lapses, he'd be a huge help to us, allowing us to unleash his shooting without giving up the same amount on the defensive end.

duke09hms
04-09-2013, 10:32 AM
I would frankly be amazed to see Andre Dawkins "buried on the bench". So, I guess we can agree that we both hope that he is very much uncovered and visible next year, and logs well over your "best case" scenario. I wouldn't bet against Mr. Dawkins. A fifth-year senior with his potential is a very valuable guy to have around. One who has the potential to lead the ACC in scoring may play a lot of minutes.

Well this whole thread is speculation since we have no idea where he's at now in terms of basketball ability and how his year away has affected him good or bad. One group of posters is basing their expectations on his past performances at Duke, resulting in cautious pessimism based on actual observations. The other group is basing their expectations on their speculations of how his year off has helped him, resulting in cautious optimism aka projecting him as the ACC scoring leader.

I do think that if we see the junior version of Andre, he won't get significant minutes. If he's substantially improved in his year away, especially in his mental focus and defensive abilities, he'll be a terrific weapon for us logging significant minutes at the 2 and 3. There's no way to know; however, I'd prefer to go on facts and observations instead of speculation.

Kedsy
04-09-2013, 12:03 PM
The good news is that Andre's defensive deficiencies were mostly between his ears.

His inconsistency on offense as well. We can't know how much his emotional troubles affected him on the court. But if he's over them now (and we can't know that, either), then his concentration and consistency on the court almost certainly won't get worse, and likely would get better. If he solves his "between the ears" issues, he could be a special player (although I agree with those who think he'll come off the bench).

DukeAlumBS
04-09-2013, 12:34 PM
His inconsistency on offense as well. We can't know how much his emotional troubles affected him on the court. But if he's over them now (and we can't know that, either), then his concentration and consistency on the court almost certainly won't get worse, and likely would get better. If he solves his "between the ears" issues, he could be a special player (although I agree with those who think he'll come off the bench).
A very good point. He is from a very close family I sense. Again, he was a young high profile player at Duke. And this happened to him. And the big change on top of the accident. On top of this, prime talent all over while trying to compete. In that video I sense and saw a young man with a plan, and focus. I think he is coming back, and going to light up and be a starter, and leading scorer for Duke. Have nice day my friend.
Jimmy

moonpie23
04-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Best Case Scenario (For Dawkins): Starter over Sheed. .

i will be in total shock if this happens.....i love dre, and i hope he's gotten the break he needs mentally, but seriously, i look for sheed to be off the chain next year...

moon " but i don't make my living evaluating BASKETBALL talent" pie

sorry jason...

jimsumner
04-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Dawkins is on schedule to graduate next month. Under NCAA rules, he can transfer to any NCAA school and be immediately eligible. The only provisio is that he has to find a degree program not offered by Duke.

This rule has been on the books for several years and has been utilized by a variety of blue bloods, including Kentucky, North Carolina and Arizona. Duke is at least considering adding a grad-student big-man for next season.

Newton_14
04-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Guys, we have respectfully asked, more than a few times now, to drop both the Dr Phil analysis on Andre, and to not speculate on whether he may or may not wear Duke blue next year. Once something is announced either way then it is fair game. Until then it is off limits out of respect for a kid who took this year off to get help with grief issues, and to get away from the psycho analysis of his every thought and move.

Again, please drop it. Add him to your projected Duke roster next year and debate what his role might be, or leave him off your projected Duke roster for next year and discuss the players you have on your projected roster. Just please drop the speculation, rumor mongering, Dr Phil stuff. Several posts have been deleted since this thread started. We really do not wish to hand out infractions, but if it continues after this last plea to stop, then we will.

Thanks for understanding.

jimsumner
04-09-2013, 10:46 PM
I would project Dawkins to come off the bench for Duke next season--should he be on the roster--but play lots of minutes, provide instant offense and versatility playing the 2 or the 3.

K has done well with mid-sized players used in this role. David Henderson, Billy McCaffrey, Marty Clark, DeMarcus Nelson, Jon Scheyer, et. al.

Im not worried about him not having played a game since the end of the 2012 season. Injured players sit out a season and return all the time and BYU's (and other school's) experience with players returning from two-year Mormon missions further supports the idea that players can get back in the swing of things pretty quickly.

Dawkins hasn't practiced at all with the Duke team. But he hasn't been sitting at home, twiddling his thumbs. He's been busy. If he's made improvements to his conditioning, strength and dribbling ability and can add a level of consistency, he can be a significant asset to Duke next season.

jv001
04-10-2013, 08:43 AM
I would project Dawkins to come off the bench for Duke next season--should he be on the roster--but play lots of minutes, provide instant offense and versatility playing the 2 or the 3.

K has done well with mid-sized players used in this role. David Henderson, Billy McCaffrey, Marty Clark, DeMarcus Nelson, Jon Scheyer, et. al.
Im not worried about him not having played a game since the end of the 2012 season. Injured players sit out a season and return all the time and BYU's (and other school's) experience with players returning from two-year Mormon missions further supports the idea that players can get back in the swing of things pretty quickly.

Dawkins hasn't practiced at all with the Duke team. But he hasn't been sitting at home, twiddling his thumbs. He's been busy. If he's made improvements to his conditioning, strength and dribbling ability and can add a level of consistency, he can be a significant asset to Duke next season.

A very good list I might add. I can see Andre in this role and as you said, instant offense. My hope is Andre has improved his strength, quickness and ball handling. The first two for defense and of course the last for offense. His shot is a thing of beauty and doesn't need a change. My best wishes for Andre no matter what his decision turns out to be. GoDuke!

adukeforduke
04-10-2013, 03:49 PM
No one could see a starting lineup of:
PG-Cook
SG-Sheed
SG/SF- Andre
SF/PF- Hood
PF/C- Parker
??
Ive always thought Andre has been an underachiever during his time at Duke due to his very sad situation. If he has regained his mental confidence why couldnt he play 20-25 mins a game and average 10-14 ppg? Maybe im flatout wrong but the lineup I listed doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me.

I don't hear anyone talking about Parker playing the 5 on particularly on defense. I think Parker could easily match up with the 3-5 on defense with his quickness, nba ready body, and his underrated excellent shot-blocking ability. On offense Parker is probably to versatile to play strictly down-low but I could easily see him being a tremendous rim protector on defense next year. He could easily be the best defensive player on the team and one of the best in the country.

Kedsy
04-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Maybe im flatout wrong but the lineup I listed doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me.

Assuming Andre plays at Duke next season, I don't think it's far-fetched to think he can get 20 mpg and 10ppg. And the lineup you've suggested could very well be used from time to time. But I'd be surprised if that was our starting and/or predominant lineup. It's very tiring to defend a bigger player, and I'm not sure it makes sense to needlessly tire both Jabari and Rodney. As a sixth or seventh man, Andre could be pretty lethal. That's probably the better way to go, although obviously a lot could happen between now and November that could change our outlook.

Turtleboy
04-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Well, I've been trying to grow two inches since LBJ was president. According to Charles Barkley, losing 70 pounds will do it for you.

adukeforduke
04-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Assuming Andre plays at Duke next season, I don't think it's far-fetched to think he can get 20 mpg and 10ppg. And the lineup you've suggested could very well be used from time to time. But I'd be surprised if that was our starting and/or predominant lineup. It's very tiring to defend a bigger player, and I'm not sure it makes sense to needlessly tire both Jabari and Rodney. As a sixth or seventh man, Andre could be pretty lethal. That's probably the better way to go, although obviously a lot could happen between now and November that could change our outlook.

I would agree Rodney's body is not be well suited to playing the PF for long periods of time. Amile and Josh could easily fill in major minutes at that position and at the center as well. However, I feel the lineup I mentioned would have the best five players on our team on the court. I am fine with Andre coming off the bench but believe he is more talented player than Josh and more talented player than Amile at this point in Amile's young career and should receive more minutes than either of these players.

Andre, Rodney, Sheed, Amile, and Josh can be used interchangeably in a variety lineups and should receive major minutes.

I would disagree that Jabari playing the center on defense would tire him out. His shot blocking ability will be game changing on defense and this ability must be utilized! He has a body that can bang down-low on the defensive side for extended minutes and is a much better option than Marshall (who I unfortunately do not have high hopes for). Jabari may well end up being the most-talented player (not the best but the most-talented) to ever play in Duke uniform. There is nothing on a basketball court this guy can't do.

Kedsy
04-10-2013, 05:03 PM
I would disagree that Jabari playing the center on defense would tire him out. His shot blocking ability will be game changing on defense and this ability must be utilized!

I'd argue his shot-blocking ability would probably be best utilized from the weak side, like Ryan Kelly's. He's not going to be blocking too many shots by hulking centers backing him down. He's going to fly in from the help side and erase shots after someone got by their man.

And what tires smaller players out is having to push and push against bigger bodies. Banging with 6'9" 300 pound Shaquille Cleare for any length of time would tire out anybody. So, true, it would also tire Amile or Josh or possibly even Marshall, but I'd rather Jabari have more energy left for offense.

adukeforduke
04-10-2013, 05:46 PM
I'd argue his shot-blocking ability would probably be best utilized from the weak side, like Ryan Kelly's. He's not going to be blocking too many shots by hulking centers backing him down. He's going to fly in from the help side and erase shots after someone got by their man.

And what tires smaller players out is having to push and push against bigger bodies. Banging with 6'9" 300 pound Shaquille Cleare for any length of time would tire out anybody. So, true, it would also tire Amile or Josh or possibly even Marshall, but I'd rather Jabari have more energy left for offense.

I agree with you that I would prefer to have jabari not playing the center for extended game time on this team. However, we do not have proven big man and I believe Jabari is the best option to man the center on defense next year. If Marshall turns out to be better than I think he will be then I am absolutely in favor of Jabari taking on a more athletic Ryan Kelly role.

MCFinARL
04-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Andre just announced on Twitter that he will be playing basketball at Duke next season. He is changing his number to 34. "Excited to say that I will be a part of the 2013-2014 Duke Men's Basketball Team. Thanks to everyone for the support throughout the year"

Dev11
04-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Andre just announced on Twitter that he will be playing basketball at Duke next season. He is changing his number to 34. "Excited to say that I will be a part of the 2013-2014 Duke Men's Basketball Team. Thanks to everyone for the support throughout the year"

Begin the baseless guard minutes argument!

Welcome back, Dre.

CDu
04-11-2013, 05:12 PM

That's terrific news! I'm very glad to hear that Dawkins will be back. He'll make an already explosive set of perimeter options that much more dangerous.

I admit that I was very skeptical that we'd see Dawkins in a Duke uniform again. I'm very pleased to be wrong about that.

So much talent on the perimeter! The likely rotation would appear to be as follows:

PG: Cook, Thornton
SG: Sulaimon, Dawkins
SF: Hood, Dawkins
PF: Parker, Jefferson
C: Jefferson/Hairston/Plumlee/???

We will be absolutely STACKED on the perimeter. I can't begin to say how nice it is to add Dawkins to the mix.

MCFinARL
04-11-2013, 05:17 PM
That's terrific news! I'm very glad to hear that Dawkins will be back. He'll make an already explosive set of perimeter options that much more dangerous.

I admit that I was very skeptical that we'd see Dawkins in a Duke uniform again. I'm very pleased to be wrong about that.

So much talent on the perimeter! The likely rotation would appear to be as follows:

PG: Cook, Thornton
SG: Sulaimon, Dawkins
SF: Hood, Dawkins
PF: Parker, Jefferson
C: Jefferson/Hairston/Plumlee/???

We will be absolutely STACKED on the perimeter. I can't begin to say how nice it is to add Dawkins to the mix.

Agree. in addition to the fact that Andre has always been a favorite of mine (and I think a lot of other people's), he brings back his terrific shooting, which will be a nice replacement for some of what we lose with Seth.