PDA

View Full Version : Coach Collins headed to Northwestern

Mike Corey
03-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Announcement expected later today, per Andy Goodman (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21959144/northwestern-will-hire-chris-collins).

Congrats to Coach Collins!

Bluedog
03-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Congrats to Collins! I hope this doesn't serve as any distraction whatsoever for the team - I expect K and co. to keep them focused, though, so don't expect it to be. Northwestern certainly isn't going to be an easy job, but it's a good school in a good conference, so the opportunity is there to build something. And if he makes the NCAA tournament once, he'll be the most successful Northwestern coach in history! ;)

Cameron
03-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Announcement expected later today, per Andy Goodman's twitter account.

Just saw this as well. It's a sad day for me, because of how much Chris has meant to this program over the last 20 years, but happy for him and that he is on the right path to perhaps coming back as our head coach one day. It's bitersweet.

roywhite
03-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Congrats to Coach Collins, and congrats to NW for making a good hire.

I'm wondering if Collins will stick with the Blue Devils through the tourney, or head to Evanston for full-time duty?

UrinalCake
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
He has been long overdue for a head coaching job. He's as prepared as a guy can be, and I think he'll do great. I remember in an interview two years ago with Doug Collins (Chris's father), he said that Coach K is like the CEO of a corporation who delegates a lot of responsibility to his assistants. So Chris is well equipped to take over a program.

Obviously our focus is on the remainder of this season, but looking ahead I wonder how our coaching staff will shake out. I assume Wojo will take over as lead assistant (which I think gives him the title of "Associate Head Coach"). Does Capel slide down a spot along the bench? What about Nate's role? Maybe someone in the know could break down our current assistant coaches and their responsibilities and where each are likely to transition.

Mike Corey
03-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Something to note:

Coach K's tree now runs the programs at Stanford, Harvard, Northwestern and Notre Dame.

Cameron
03-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Congrats to Coach Collins, and congrats to NW for making a good hire.

I'm wondering if Collins will stick with the Blue Devils through the tourney, or head to Evanston for full-time duty?

Would he really jump ship mid-tournament? Serious question. Is that something most assistant coaches do in this situation. Maybe I haven't paid that much attention to it in the past. I know in football, it's not unusual, and is actually the norm, for a head coach who is taking a new job to not coach his current team if they are in a bowl game.

Cameron
03-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Something to note:

Coach K's tree now runs the programs at Stanford, Harvard, Northwestern and Notre Dame.

Very interesting, and speaks to the kind of upstanding guys K and Duke produce. But I imagine Johnny won't be lasting long, and deservedly so. I hope he gets one more shot at turning things around, though.

loran16
03-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Announcement expected later today, per Andy Goodman (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21959144/northwestern-will-hire-chris-collins).

You're mixing up writers - it's Jeff Goodman (as opposed to Andy Staples or Andy Glockner)

Mike Corey
03-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Mea culpa.

Sorry out there, Jeff.

Ichabod Drain
03-27-2013, 10:29 AM
You're mixing up writers - it's Jeff Goodman (as opposed to Andy Staples or Andy Glockner)

most likely Andy Katz

brevity
03-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Something to note:

Very interesting, and speaks to the kind of upstanding guys K and Duke produce.

I think it speaks to the strong desire among athletic directors of private universities to follow the Duke blueprint. I imagine them at yearly conferences, sipping hotel coffee and still talking about Tom Butters in a reverent whisper...

JasonEvans
03-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Very interesting, and speaks to the kind of upstanding guys K and Duke produce. But I imagine Johnny won't be lasting long, and deservedly so. I hope he gets one more shot at turning things around, though.

Not to hijack the thread, but Stanford has already said that they are committed to keeping JD as their coach through next season. The pressure will be on for him to lead them to a strong Pac-whatever season and get a tourney bid. That said, with the roster he will have next year -- full of experienced, quality players -- he should be able to make Stanford a player on the national stage. While that will probably buy him more time, he needs to recruit better if he hopes to stay more than a couple more years.

Back to the subject at hand, great news for Chris. NWestern is a very tough job but I bet Chris got some assurances from the administration about their commitment to winning (ie: allowing some borderline recruits into school). He will probably have trouble getting strong recruits at first, but hopefully he will be able to find some diamonds in the rough who want to play in the Big Ten and he can start to build something. I know one thing -- it won't happen overnight. But, we will all be watching and rooting for him.

-Jason "love Corey's comment about the schools K's tree inhabits... the STUDENT-athlete is a part of the Duke tradition" Evans

Bluedog
03-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Would he really jump ship mid-tournament? Serious question. Is that something most assistant coaches do in this situation. Maybe I haven't paid that much attention to it in the past. I know in football, it's not unusual, and is actually the norm, for a head coach who is taking a new job to not coach his current team if they are in a bowl game.

I can't imagine Collins would leave before the end of the season. It's not like football where the bowl game comes 4 weeks later and doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things (unless it's the national championship game). He's key for scouting opponents as well as in-game coaching and is extremely loyal to Coach K, who I would think would want to keep him throughout the duration of the tournament.

sagegrouse
03-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Something to note:

Don't forget the University at Buffalo, the largest public university in New York and New England. IIRC it is known for its creative writing program.

sagegrouse

jmck214
03-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Yeah I don't see him leaving before the end of the season and I don't think it will be a distraction either. I would think Nate gets moved up to third asst and Carrawell moves into Nates current position.

If Chris can have some success then he could be in line to be K's successor. Also have to keep an eye on Amaker and Hurley if he can have success at Buffalo.

Cameron
03-27-2013, 10:44 AM
I think it speaks to the strong desire among athletic directors of private universities to follow the Duke blueprint. I imagine them at yearly conferences, sipping hotel coffee and still talking about Tom Butters in a reverent whisper...

This is a good point, and I think you are exactly right. I think it also demonstrates that, when leaving Duke to venture out on their own path, many of our top assistant coaches want to take jobs at schools that are similar to Duke, where as much scrutiny is placed on academic success as on basketball accomplishment, in hopes of one day having proven themselves as a prime candidate to return and take over after K. Deep down, I think Chris has always been the "chosen one," however, and I hope he enjoys great success in his new gig.

I wonder what this means for Wojo? With Chris leaving, I have to imagine that Wojo will also want his chance soon, if he does in fact have a desire to return to Duke one day. But I can't imagine he and Chris battling over the job after K leaves. I would bet almost anything that there is a plan in place, and that K has already chosen who he wants the successor to be -- or at least has a general idea, and wants to see how each protege performs out on their own. Interesting stuff.

Cameron
03-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Maybe someone in the know could break down our current assistant coaches and their responsibilities and where each are likely to transition.

Please do, somebody. I would love to see something like this.

As Chris assembles his new staff, I concur with those who think he'll take at least one of our current staff members with him -- my guess would be Nate James. Or, if not a current staff member, perhaps Chris Carrawell. I also have to imagine that Greg Paulus would be interested in getting his foot in the door as a true assistant coach. He's already spent two or three years in the Big Ten in his video coordinator role at Ohio State; this might present a perfect scenario to join Chris' staff at NW.

Mike Corey
03-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Coach Collins would stay with Duke through the tourney.

roywhite
03-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Coach Collins would stay with Duke through the tourney.

Just 4 more games, Chris, be patient. :)

wilko
03-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Good for Chris! I wish him well.

So - What if any - influence does a single BBall coach in the B1G?
What I mean to ask is; can Chris pee in the expansion pool and muck up the works for the B1G, so to speak?

UMd just found their new "Rival". Wonder when they will realize it.

I saw Nate James will be elevated to fill ranks. Good for Nate!

I have to ask...
Is the door open for C-Well to return as well? It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Quin Snyder re-hab his image from past transgressions at Mizzou. He very may well be the best "Coach" in the family tree so to speak. I get the vibe he is done with college and the trappings of recruiting.

LetItBD08
03-27-2013, 11:28 AM
As a Duke grad and current Northwestern grad student, I am very excited about this news.

I haven't looked at the Collins/Northwestern speculation thread much, but I am going to assume that there were probably some questions about the enthusiasm of the student fan base (especially considering we are the smallest and only private school in the Big Ten). For all you hypothetical, unverified doubters, I think that Northwestern students have the potential to be as excited about athletics as Duke students. Duke has an established basketball culture that I think Collins can ignite in Northwestern. We've see over the past five years or so how receptive the students are to Coach Fitzgerald and his football teams, which I think/hope will translate to the hardwood.

tele
03-27-2013, 11:53 AM
As a Duke grad and current Northwestern grad student, I am very excited about this news.

I haven't looked at the Collins/Northwestern speculation thread much, but I am going to assume that there were probably some questions about the enthusiasm of the student fan base (especially considering we are the smallest and only private school in the Big Ten). For all you hypothetical, unverified doubters, I think that Northwestern students have the potential to be as excited about athletics as Duke students. Duke has an established basketball culture that I think Collins can ignite in Northwestern. We've see over the past five years or so how receptive the students are to Coach Fitzgerald and his football teams, which I think/hope will translate to the hardwood.

Great news, and very exciting for NWU and Chicagoland college basketball. The position will be challenging but the potential is there for great things. The Collins family is more than familiar with the regional hoops scene and with teams that are ready to take off. I hope Coach C has huge success and look forward to seeing his teams in the NCAAT before long. The support for college basketball will be there. It's been awhile but Depaul used to be bigger than the Bulls with area hoops fans. Northwestern football has shown it can be done!

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Good for Chris! I wish him well.

So - What if any - influence does a single BBall coach in the B1G?
What I mean to ask is; can Chris pee in the expansion pool and muck up the works for the B1G, so to speak?

UMd just found their new "Rival". Wonder when they will realize it.

I saw Nate James will be elevated to fill ranks. Good for Nate!

I have to ask...
Is the door open for C-Well to return as well? It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Quin Snyder re-hab his image from past transgressions at Mizzou. He very may well be the best "Coach" in the family tree so to speak. I get the vibe he is done with college and the trappings of recruiting.

Can you help us out with a link or primary source?

wilko
03-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Can you help us out with a link or primary source?

It was off one of the MANY links coming across twitter on the Collins announce.
It was not from a Duke source, that I would have recalled.

JasonEvans
03-27-2013, 12:05 PM
It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Quin Snyder re-hab his image from past transgressions at Mizzou. He very may well be the best "Coach" in the family tree so to speak. I get the vibe he is done with college and the trappings of recruiting.

Quin is pretty firmly established in the pro coaching ranks at this point. He was supposedly on a short list for a couple NBA head coaching jobs last summer and has been a NBA assistant for several years. I don't see him returning to college ball, especially as an assistant coach.

-Jason "Quin's move to CSKA Moscow this fall was a surprising one, though they are one of the truly elite teams in European ball -- hope it works out for him" Evans

OZZIE4DUKE
03-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Congrats to Chris! Mazel tov! Well earned and deserved! Nate will get the open spot on K's staff. So K said a month or two ago. Would love to see Cwell get a job with Collins if he wants to get back in the college ranks instead of the nba/ndbl. Would Spatola move his family to Chicago? Three "Chris's" on one staff! The Northwestern kids are smart enough to deal with C1, C2 and C3! :)

-bdbd
03-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Congrats to Chris! Mazel tov! Well earned and deserved! Nate will get the open spot on K's staff. So K said a month or two ago. Would love to see Cwell get a job with Collins if he wants to get back in the college ranks instead of the nba/ndbl. Would Spatola move his family to Chicago? Three "Chris's" on one staff! The Northwestern kids are smart enough to deal with C1, C2 and C3! :)

Agree with Ozzie. I have been wondering who shows up on the staffs at Buffalo and Northwestern. I'd expect to see some familliar (Duke) names. But Nate seems like the obvious "promotion" back to Coach status at Duke. Does Capel become "Associate Head Coach" now along with Wojo?

Congratulations to Chris. You will succeed, no doubt, wherever you go!

Tripping William
03-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Congrats to Coach Collins. Seems like a really, really good fit to me.

I worry for Bryan Kersey, though. It's one thing to hold Wojo back from getting to the locker room, but quite another to hold him back from halftime TV interview responsibilities. ;-)

ChicagoCrazy84
03-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Count me as another who thinks Chris will do really well at Northwestern. They have done a pretty solid job of getting talent there in Evanston (Jared Swopshire, Tre Demps, Jershon Cobb, John Shurna to name a few) and that was with Bill Carmody. This is an excellent hire for NU to continue their basketball program transformation. I have no doubt Chris will continue to get talent there.

I have to think Oliver Purnell and DePaul has to be nervous now with more competition to get the local talent. Groce is doing a good job so far at Illinois and now Chris Collins is taking the helm at Northwestern. I have to think this is not a good thing for DePaul and they'll continue to be an afterthought for Chicago hoops, unless they move to the UC.

Bluedog
03-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Great news, and very exciting for NWU and Chicagoland college basketball. The position will be challenging but the potential is there for great things. The Collins family is more than familiar with the regional hoops scene and with teams that are ready to take off. I hope Coach C has huge success and look forward to seeing his teams in the NCAAT before long. The support for college basketball will be there. It's been awhile but Depaul used to be bigger than the Bulls with area hoops fans. Northwestern football has shown it can be done!

I wish, but unfortunately Chicago doesn't care about college basketball (general public, not talking specific college grads). They'll get a 2 minute mention at the end of local news rarely, but that's about it. There are WAY more Michigan/IU/Illinois/Wisconsin/Iowa fans than Northwestern in Chicago (since they're much larger schools). DePaul plays way out there at the Allstate Arena so nobody ventures out that far - can never understand why they don't find a closer place. I've watched some high school basketball at Welsh-Ryan Arena, which seemed like a decent venue (small like Cameron). Hopefully, Collins can improve the team and generate some enthusiasm among the student base - who get to attend games for free like they do at Duke. I'm confident he's the guy to get it done!

CDu
03-27-2013, 02:34 PM
I wish, but unfortunately Chicago doesn't care about college basketball (general public, not talking specific college grads). They'll get a 2 minute mention at the end of local news rarely, but that's about it. There are WAY more Michigan/IU/Illinois/Wisconsin/Iowa fans than Northwestern in Chicago (since they're much larger schools). DePaul plays way out there at the Allstate Arena so nobody ventures out that far - can never understand why they don't find a closer place. I've watched some high school basketball at Welsh-Ryan Arena, which seemed like a decent venue (small like Cameron). Hopefully, Collins can improve the team and generate some enthusiasm among the student base - who get to attend games for free like they do at Duke. I'm confident he's the guy to get it done!

Yeah, Northwestern and DePaul are kind of like Georgia Tech in that the local fanbase actually doesn't cheer for them first. In Chicago, it's Notre Dame, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin. In Atlanta, it's UGa all the way.

It's a tough situation for sure. But part of the issue is that there has just been too little success for too long from those two schools. So there isn't any reason to get behind them. Maybe a taste of success would swing the pendulum a little bit.

jv001
03-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Congratulations Chris Collins. Thank you for your career at Duke University and beat the **** out of the twerps in 2014-2015. Remember they're not your rivals. GoDuke!

hurleyfor3
03-27-2013, 02:46 PM

Chicago hasn't had a good local college team in recent years, but I strongly doubt people won't get behind a winner. Northwestern football was a big deal in the Gary Barnett era.

DePaul was huge in the Ray Meyer/Alumni Hall years. Their rivalries with Marquette, ND and the Big Ten Schools were as competitive as any. I wasn't there, but Chicagoans have long memories and still talk about those teams 30 years later. And it's winter; you don't have a whole lot of other options.

DePaul never seemed to care about basketball after Ray Meyer retired. They had an excellent opportunity to build a new arena on or near campus in the late 70s or 80s while there was plenty of reasonably priced real estate. Instead they built more academic and residential buildings on the land they owned and the rest of Lincoln Park went to the moon. A medium-sized arena on the North Side would have had a lot of other uses as well.

I don't know if NU is going to become the next '05 White Sox but good niche teams (Fire, Wolves) draw well. DePaul left a hole that has never been filled, and the opportunity is there.

duke86
03-27-2013, 02:58 PM
"Ladies and Gentlemen: At this time, white smoke can be seen rising from a prescribed burn on the main Northwestern University campus lagoon." - Quote from the NW Athletics facebook page with the attached photo.

Cameron
03-27-2013, 03:36 PM
"Ladies and Gentlemen: At this time, white smoke can be seen rising from a prescribed burn on the main Northwestern University campus lagoon." - Quote from the NW Athletics facebook page with the attached photo.

I have no idea what that means. I'm confused. Has there been an arson?

CDu
03-27-2013, 03:40 PM
I have no idea what that means. I'm confused. Has there been an arson?

My guess is that it's a reference to the Papal election process. When a decision has been made on a new pope, white smoke rises from the chimney of the Vatican signifying the decision (black smoke if no consensus is reached).

Cameron
03-27-2013, 03:49 PM
My guess is that it's a reference to the Papal election process. When a decision has been made on a new pope, white smoke rises from the chimney of the Vatican signifying the decision (black smoke if no consensus is reached).

Thanks! I am a sorcerer, so I could not have known.

Blue KevIL
03-27-2013, 03:50 PM
I have to think Oliver Purnell and DePaul has to be nervous now with more competition to get the local talent. Groce is doing a good job so far at Illinois and now Chris Collins is taking the helm at Northwestern. I have to think this is not a good thing for DePaul and they'll continue to be an afterthought for Chicago hoops, unless they move to the UC.

Two things:
1. Northwestern & DePaul have not and probably will not overlap too much -- if at all -- in terms of the local talent recruited by each school. Oliver Purnell should be more concerned with not succeeding in the "new" Big East. That league should be a much better fit for De Paul basketball. If they can't show some signs of life, Purnell won't last much longer.

2. DePaul has already turned down the offer of moving its home games to the United Center. They want to build their own arena south of Soldier Field near Mc Cormick Place. The Bulls & Blackhawks owners don't want another arena competing with the UC for concerts and other non-sporting events.

Good luck to Coach Collins -- I just hope that NU gives him the tools to run a successful program.

hudlow
03-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Good Luck Coach Collins!

Blue KevIL
03-27-2013, 04:06 PM
DePaul plays way out there at the Allstate Arena so nobody ventures out that far - can never understand why they don't find a closer place.

When Allstate Arena opened in 1980 it was called Rosemont Horizon.
The timing could not have been better for DePaul.
They had made an Elite 8 appearance in 1978 and a Final Four appearance in 1979.
The Bulls were awful and the Blue Demons were the hot ticket in town.

Moving from its on-campus arena with no place to park, Alumni Hall (seating: 5400), to the Horizon (seating: 18,000) was a major step up.
DePaul continued to have great regular season success throughout the 80s: 1980 (#1 Seed & ranked #1) - loss to #8 Seed UCLA, 1981 (#1 Seed & ranked #1) - loss to #9 Seed St. Joseph's, 1982 (#1 Seed & ranked #2) - loss to #8 Seed Boston College...

As they continued to win, people showed up to watch.

Then, Michael Jordan showed up at Chicago Stadium and DePaul was no longer the hot ticket and they were not winning as often.
Their decline was not sudden, but by 1993 or 1994, they were just about done -- except for a brief blip on the radar with Pat Kennedy and Quentin Richardson.

DePaul has been looking to go somewhere closer to campus, but have not been able to figure it out yet.

hurleyfor3
03-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Two things:
2. DePaul has already turned down the offer of moving its home games to the United Center. They want to build their own arena south of Soldier Field near Mc Cormick Place. The Bulls & Blackhawks owners don't want another arena competing with the UC for concerts and other non-sporting events.

I heard that but haven't followed the story too closely. The problems I see are that (1) an arena there isn't a whole lot more convenient or closer to campus than Rosemont is (2) appeasing the Cubs' expansion plans should be a MUCH higher priority (3) no big potential tenant is going along with DePaul on this (4) taxpayers are kind of fed up with all the public works project overruns and financing shenanigans (5) things in Chicago have a much higher chance of getting done when the mayor actually gives a crap, which doesn't describe Rahm and DePaul and (6) DePaul has spent some 20 years TRYING to suck and no evidence exists this will change.

That said, logic has never been a factor in whether deals get done in Chicago. You still need #5.

They had a chance to do something like Pitt did, build a nice little arena on campus with substantial private financing. It is telling they're talking about McCormick Place now. Although maybe there's some land on the other side of Clybourn they can use. Maybe Goose Island. Mmmmm, Goose Island.

LetItBD08
03-27-2013, 04:13 PM

Well that is an awesome coincidence. I'm going to go out on a limb (preferably one that is not on fire) and say it is related to this email that I received yesterday from NU's Facilities Management, but I want to believe it signifies that Collins has emerged from the Athletic Department Conclave:

A contractor is scheduled to perform the annual prescribed burn at the
lagoon on Wednesday, March 27th, if weather conditions are favorable.
This is an important maintenance procedure for the health of the native
plants.

Blue KevIL
03-27-2013, 04:22 PM
I heard that but haven't followed the story too closely. The problems I see are that (1) an arena there isn't a whole lot more convenient or closer to campus than Rosemont is (2) appeasing the Cubs' expansion plans should be a MUCH higher priority (3) no big potential tenant is going along with DePaul on this (4) taxpayers are kind of fed up with all the public works project overruns and financing shenanigans (5) things in Chicago have a much higher chance of getting done when the mayor actually gives a crap, which doesn't describe Rahm and DePaul and (6) DePaul has spent some 20 years TRYING to suck and no evidence exists this will change.

They had a chance to do something like Pitt did, build a nice little arena on campus with substantial private financing. It is telling they're talking about McCormick Place now. Although maybe there's some land on the other side of Clybourn they can use. Maybe Goose Island. Mmmmm, Goose Island.

DePaul has the money and would not need tax payer help. The McCormick Place plan caught the ear of that Ward's Alderman and he sounded off -- not in favor of the plan. That location would not be close to campus either.

The ideal location, mentioned a few years ago, is actually just north of Goose Island and not far from the Lincoln Park campus: the Finkl Steel property on Southport just west of DePaul. Finkl just got a $22.5 M incentive package from the City Council last June to move to the South Side.

If DePaul did need help from a Mayor, they may have sought it out from Daley as he is an alum and now has a building named after him on campus.

hurleyfor3
03-27-2013, 04:34 PM
The ideal location, mentioned a few years ago, is actually just north of Goose Island and not far from the Lincoln Park campus: the Finkl Steel property on Southport just west of DePaul. Finkl just got a $22.5 M incentive package from the City Council last June to move to the South Side.

Ha, I was thinking about that steel mill. Never heard of that plan but maybe wasn't paying attention. Before the mid-90s you would have been able to build anywhere on that side of Clybourn. Much less local opposition because it hadn't all gone condo/retail yet.

Daley probably could have gotten them a nice building for free (while distracting opposition, which he was so good at doing). They really did miss an opportunity.

mcdukie
03-27-2013, 04:39 PM
I just want to wish Coach Collins all the best. He has given so much to Duke basketball but I am confident he will do well. I also believe that Northwestern has given him some assurances that they will help him get some players in that will help him build a winner.

weezie
03-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Good luck Coach Collins! Make us proud!

SoCalDukeFan
03-27-2013, 06:10 PM
I just want to wish Coach Collins all the best. He has given so much to Duke basketball but I am confident he will do well. I also believe that Northwestern has given him some assurances that they will help him get some players in that will help him build a winner.

You have given a lot to Duke basketball. Congrats on the new job.

As you know, it is almost impossible to win in the Big 10 with Ivy League athletes. Hope you can recruit some great student athletes to NW.

SoCal

luvdahops
03-27-2013, 06:10 PM

That said, logic has never been a factor in whether deals get done in Chicago. You still need #5.

Another option i have heard mentioned recently is the proposed new Bulls practice facility, to be built due east of the UC on what are now parking lots. Apparently this may have a seating capacity of ~4,500 so that it could be used for concerts, as well as HS and college hoops. It wouldn't be on campus, but would be a lot closer than McCormick Place, and much more convenient for alums living on the North or Near West sides and/or working in the Loop.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-27-2013, 06:53 PM
The Chronicle has some interesting comments about Jeff Capel and Greg Paulus in this blog about Chris Collins going to Northwestern.
http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2013/03/27/paulus-to-join-collins-at-northwestern-capel-to-old-dominion/

CDu
03-27-2013, 07:20 PM
The Chronicle has some interesting comments about Jeff Capel and Greg Paulus in this blog about Chris Collins going to Northwestern.
http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2013/03/27/paulus-to-join-collins-at-northwestern-capel-to-old-dominion/

If true, that would certainly make for an interesting offseason. I'd assume that Wojo and Nate James would get promoted. Would Carrawell want to come back from being an assistant in the NBDL to be an assistant at Duke? Does Spatola return to the bench?

I can't imagine that, at this point in his career, Coach K wants to go through the process of grooming new assistants. So I'd have to believe that whomever we add to the staff will have had some experience in the program.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-27-2013, 08:02 PM
If true, that would certainly make for an interesting offseason. I'd assume that Wojo and Nate James would get promoted. Would Carrawell want to come back from being an assistant in the NBDL to be an assistant at Duke? Does Spatola return to the bench?

I can't imagine that, at this point in his career, Coach K wants to go through the process of grooming new assistants. So I'd have to believe that whomever we add to the staff will have had some experience in the program.
I am confident that Coach K has been preparing for this very sort of change. But I wouldn't make any assumptions. Coach K and Coach Cutcliffe are very similar on how they value loyalty. There may be some surprises ahead.... and that could be a very good thing. Even good things need to change to stay vital.

MartyClark
03-27-2013, 09:23 PM

I had DePaul season tickets the first couple of years at the Rosemont Horizon. It was the apex o fmodern DePaul basketball with Mark Aguirre, Terry Cummings and other good players. I lived in the suburb next to Rosemont so it was an easy trek for me. I subsequently moved to Denver and haven't been inside the Horizon for many years. It wasn't a great stadium or venue.

Rosemont is a strange, small Chicago suburb. It's right against O'Hare Airport and the jet noise is oppressive. Back in the day, it had an even more effective political patronage system than Chicago. The mayor, his family, and their supporters were immensely powerful and were able to accomplish the building of arenas, casinos and the like in a way that now seems unlikely. I suspect that DePaul now regrets this move which may, at the time, have been briefly profitable.

BD80
03-27-2013, 09:54 PM

Capel will easily be able to put together a staff without raiding the Duke bench. It has been a luxury having a coach with his experience on the staff, and particularly on the recruiting trail.

Losing Chris will hurt more if we also lose Capel. Our two best recruiters.

cbarry
03-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Happy for Chris Collins. I can't help but question the timing of this hiring, though. Couldn't both sides have waited until after the Tourney to interview, etc? There is no way this WON'T be a distraction for our team as we prepare to face Michigan St (and hopefully at least 1 more game).

CDu
03-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Capel will easily be able to put together a staff without raiding the Duke bench. It has been a luxury having a coach with his experience on the staff, and particularly on the recruiting trail.

Losing Chris will hurt more if we also lose Capel. Our two best recruiters.

I don't think either Capel or Collins will raid Duke's staff. My point was just that we'd be potentially losing 2 of our 4 key assistants, and that's rough for a coach in the winter of his career. So I'd suspect that any replacements would be guys that already are familiar with the coaching staff.

weezie
03-27-2013, 10:15 PM
But the idea of Paulus going with Collins is terrific!
It can't have been that much fun following Motta around all season. ugh

langdonfan
03-28-2013, 02:06 AM
Sean Dockery was the first person who came to mind when I heard the news about Collins. Seems like he'd be a great fit on that staff if interested...

wsb3
03-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Best wishes to Chris and his family..It is a tough job but I think he will get it done. Thank you for all your contributions to DUKE Basketball.. (and who knows you may be back one day)

theAlaskanBear
03-28-2013, 08:42 AM
I wish Chris the best of luck! I hope he turns Northwestern in a powerhouse, but getting an NCAA berth would be a good start ;)

I've been to a couple of Northwestern fansites, and they are all pretty jazzed about Chris, as was Michael Wilbon on PTI (NW alum). The scuttlebutt is that Greg Paulus is likely to join Chris, and that he will keep at least one of Carmody's assistants. He worked with Fred Hill under Amaker at Seton Hall.

What do you guys think? Is it wiser to clean house, or to retain some structure from before?

BD80
03-28-2013, 08:48 AM
So much for the "like father, like son:"

"He’s fun to be around just practice, in the locker room. He’s a fun coach.”

So sayeth Mason of Chris Collins in one of the front page linked articles.

I'm pretty sure that nary a single one of Doug Collins' players has ever spoke so of him.

Tripping William
03-28-2013, 07:40 PM
I welcome the day that a Matt Doherty coached team travels to Northwestern. If he doesn't get told, "No, you STFU!" a golden opportunity will have been missed.

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-03-2013, 03:15 PM
An article in the Chicago Tribune (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-04-02/sports/ct-spt-0403-northwestern-players-basketball--2-20130403_1_doug-collins-jaren-sina-northwestern) adds Jon Scheyer to the mix of potential assistant coaches. He'd be a good fit, but are his playing days over yet?

Cameron
04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Might this be Christian Laettner's chance to embark on a coaching career?

While happy for Bobby Hurley that he got the Buffalo job, if there are additional alterations to the Duke staff this summer, I would have loved for the potential of bringing Bobby to Durham. I think he could really help Quinn Cook refine his craft and groom him into a Duke great.

brevity
05-26-2015, 09:14 PM
Bringing back this thread because Chris Collins has signed a contract extension (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-northwestern-and-chris-collins-agree-to-contract-extension-20150526-story.html) with Northwestern.

"It's not 'coach Cal' money," he said in reference to Kentucky coach John Calipari's $7 million-plus annual salary. "But it's in the ballpark of what guys in our league are making. I want to be at Northwestern and love what we’re doing. I just wanted to be treated fairly."