PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Nike Hoop Summit

awhom111
03-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Both rosters are now out:
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/hoopsummit/roster.html

Personally I am always interested in seeing how some of the international players do as it seems like we see some of the American high schoolers quite a few times during this point in the year.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-26-2013, 10:30 PM

Personally I am always interested in seeing how some of the international players do as it seems like we see some of the American high schoolers quite a few times during this point in the year.

Interesting to me that Jabari is listed as 6'9" 201lbs. Usually he's listed at 6'8" or even 6'7" on some sites with weights anywhere between 215 and 225. It seems like I remember reading last year that they actually weigh and measure the athletes, NFL Combine style, at the Hoops Summit.

At 6'9", perhaps Parker could play a little "5" for us next year?

roywhite
03-26-2013, 10:34 PM

Yeah, this is usually one of the best all-star games; the teams take it seriously and actually play team ball, even some defense.

Karl Towns and Andrew Wiggins are certainly a good head start for the World team; no clue about the other names on the World roster. The USA team has several guys in the 6'5" to 6'9" range (Jabari listed at 6'9"), but possibly a shortage of post players and ball handlers?

JasonEvans
03-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Worth noting that this is Wiggins' second year playing in this game. He played last year and was the leading scorer for the World team with 20 points. He may be a beast this season. I would imagine that Towns will end up playing this year and next year seeing as he is a 2014 recruit for Kentucky.

-Jason "Wiggins should go play in Europe for a couple million dollars this coming season instead of bothering with college... please!" Evans

Greg_Newton
03-27-2013, 02:08 AM
Interesting to me that Jabari is listed as 6'9" 201lbs. Usually he's listed at 6'8" or even 6'7" on some sites with weights anywhere between 215 and 225. It seems like I remember reading last year that they actually weigh and measure the athletes, NFL Combine style, at the Hoops Summit.

At 6'9", perhaps Parker could play a little "5" for us next year?

It doesn't look like the official measurements have come out yet - they usually have a release with wingspans and everything. Either way, I wonder if the 201 part is a misprint. Either that, or he's lost about 50 pounds since his injury...

Also, here's a breakdown of the international players if anyone's interested: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Nike-Hoop-Summit-International-Roster-Breakdown-4113/

roywhite
03-27-2013, 07:10 AM
It doesn't look like the official measurements have come out yet - they usually have a release with wingspans and everything. Either way, I wonder if the 201 part is a misprint. Either that, or he's lost about 50 pounds since his injury...

Also, here's a breakdown of the international players if anyone's interested: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Nike-Hoop-Summit-International-Roster-Breakdown-4113/

Thanks for posting the link to the draftexpress profiles.

Jabari Parker profile (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jabari-Parker-6299/)

Strengths:

-Terrific size at 6-9
-Strong frame
-Very advanced scoring instincts
-Outstanding shooter with feet set, as well as off the dribble.....

moonpie23
03-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Worth noting that this is Wiggins' second year playing in this game. He played last year and was the leading scorer for the World team with 20 points. He may be a beast this season. I would imagine that Towns will end up playing this year and next year seeing as he is a 2014 recruit for Kentucky.

-Jason "Wiggins should go play in Europe for a couple million dollars this coming season instead of bothering with college... please!" Evans

if you read IC, Wiggins's only purpose in life is to sign with UNC and only play the two games against duke to try and show Jabari up......

don't shoot the messenger.

budwom
03-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Jabari very recently described himself as being 6-8, 235 lbs, with just under a 7 foot wingspan.

The 6-8 may or may not be without shoes...with shoes it would jibe with the often mentioned 6-9 figure (not sure I agree with the
common methodology of including shoes, but what the heck...)

I have no doubt we will sometimes (actually, make that often) see a frontline next year with Hood (SF) Jefferson and Parker.
There could be some position shifting on offense vs. defense....(i.e. very likely to see Parker at PF, but could defend bulkier guys than Jefferson on defense).

luvdahops
03-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Jabari very recently described himself as being 6-8, 235 lbs, with just under a 7 foot wingspan.

The 6-8 may or may not be without shoes...with shoes it would jibe with the often mentioned 6-9 figure (not sure I agree with the

I have no doubt we will sometimes (actually, make that often) see a frontline next year with Hood (SF) Jefferson and Parker.
There could be some position shifting on offense vs. defense....(i.e. very likely to see Parker at PF, but could defend bulkier guys than Jefferson on defense).

Agreed. I think Jabari projects as a classic stretch 4 for us, capable of playing inside and on the perimeter, with perhaps more ball handling responsibilities than typical for the position. Amile will likely remain a post-oriented player on offense, with the ability to defend away from the paint as needed. Hopefully he can bulk to 225 or so for next year - he already seems closer to 6-9 anyway, with clear potential to be a solid rebounder and shot blocker. Hood strikes me as more of a true wing, albeit with great size and length. Their games would seem to complement each other's very well.

Ichabod Drain
03-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Here's a recent video of Jabari (uploaded earlier this month). He looks a lot more lean here than previous videos at least IMO. Not Sure if he's at 201 but definitely looks to be getting in great basketball shape, can't wait to seem him in a Duke Jersey.

http://youtu.be/fowmFcNlWUY

MChambers
03-27-2013, 10:46 AM

do they do cinderblock measurements? If yes, American or European cinderblocks?

jimsumner
03-27-2013, 02:11 PM

Oh, great. Now, you've introduced metric cinderblocks. :)

MChambers
03-27-2013, 02:19 PM

Just thought we ought to cover all the bases. Leave no block unturned, I guess.

NSDukeFan
03-27-2013, 04:16 PM

In the metric system, they are cindreblocks.

budwom
03-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Here's a recent video of Jabari (uploaded earlier this month). He looks a lot more lean here than previous videos at least IMO. Not Sure if he's at 201 but definitely looks to be getting in great basketball shape, can't wait to seem him in a Duke Jersey.

http://youtu.be/fowmFcNlWUY

Jabari hasn't seen a weight of 201 in years. He's a strapping lad.

awhom111
03-27-2013, 09:50 PM

I doubt that there are that many millions of euros out there for someone to offer him. Economic conditions in Europe have hit sports hard. The kinds of contracts that Josh Childress got will not be returning for a little while. Also, the Brandon Jennings experiment showed that even talented players can take a while to adjust to the European game in their youth. It would be an interesting publicity stunt if a club out there was willing to make a formal offer, but the number that could even afford to do so is relatively small.

Yeah, this is usually one of the best all-star games; the teams take it seriously and actually play team ball, even some defense.

Karl Towns and Andrew Wiggins are certainly a good head start for the World team; no clue about the other names on the World roster. The USA team has several guys in the 6'5" to 6'9" range (Jabari listed at 6'9"), but possibly a shortage of post players and ball handlers?

Interestingly the World Team is built very similarly to the US team. The player who is most developed at this point would be Sergey Karasev, who is putting up great numbers while being coached by his father, and was already in the last Olympics. Besides Wiggins, the player that is probably viewed as having the most potential is Mario Hezonja, but he has not been playing the toughest competition. Mouhammadou Jaiteh is also in the boat of playing lesser competition while Gabriel Deck is less known as he plays in Argentina and Dante Exum is one of the more intriguing players. Dennis Schroder is teammates with Eric Boateng in Germany while Nikola Ivanovic and Livio Jean-Charles are doing a solid job at a pretty decent level of competition.

Newton_14
03-27-2013, 10:00 PM

Thanks! I absolutely love this game. It is far and away my favorite High School game of the year showcasing the nations best recruits, as they play a real basketball game from opening tip to final buzzer. There have been some really good games the past few years.

If any of you folks have never checked out this game in the past, I highly recommend you watch it this year either live or DVR. Unlike the All-Star games, it is not "show off" night. You really get a feel for how the recruits look in a real game against an opponent with similar size and talent. They play defense, run logical offenses with "normal" shot selection. It just gives you a much better read on what to expect from a recruit once he laces them up in an NCAA game as a freshman.

Newton_14
03-27-2013, 10:07 PM

I take a different stance on this. Not being snarky here either. Since they play in shoes, I would rather know the height in shoes vs barefoot. Seriously. If Jabari is indeed 6'9 in shoes with a 7ft wingspan, that is great. I think McDerm showed us the other night, a highly skilled PF with that kind of size and weight can be very effective in the post in the college game. I think Jabari will be a great inside/out guy who can kill you from the perimeter and kill you posting up. Can't wait to watch him next year!

slower
03-29-2013, 07:04 PM
if you read IC, Wiggins's only purpose in life is to sign with UNC and only play the two games against duke to try and show Jabari up......

Yep. My most die-hard Holes friends are convinced that Wiggins is headed their way. Let's hope not.

awhom111
04-15-2013, 09:13 PM
The game is going to be on ESPN2 at 7:00pm Eastern.

The international roster has undergone a few changes. Unfortunately, Mario Hezonja will not be playing. Joel Embiid has been added to increase the number of international players based in the United States. Lithuanian player Tomas Dimsa has also been added.

ncexnyc
04-15-2013, 09:42 PM

To be fair to our friends down the road, they've gone head to head in both All-Star games this year and they both looked as though they were taking it very personal.

mccollums
04-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks! I absolutely love this game. It is far and away my favorite High School game of the year showcasing the nations best recruits, as they play a real basketball game from opening tip to final buzzer. There have been some really good games the past few years.

If any of you folks have never checked out this game in the past, I highly recommend you watch it this year either live or DVR. Unlike the All-Star games, it is not "show off" night. You really get a feel for how the recruits look in a real game against an opponent with similar size and talent. They play defense, run logical offenses with "normal" shot selection. It just gives you a much better read on what to expect from a recruit once he laces them up in an NCAA game as a freshman.

I agree 100%. I love this game too.

As for the measurements I wonder if they are trying to avoid athletes taking advantage of the w/shoes measurements and adding inserts in their shoes? I doubt if any of the high school kids are going to try anything.. but i remember seeing Andre Drummond at 6'9.75" without shoes and 6.11.75" in shoes.
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=6

http://kakuleter.com/tag/high-heel-basketball-shoes/ :D

mccollums
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Here's the measurements for the International team.. looks like they went WITH shoes.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2013-Hoop-Summit-World-Select-Team-Measurements-4141/
Dennis Schroeder
Height w/Shoes: 6'2
Weight: 168
Wingspan: 6'7.25

Livio Jean-Charles
Height w/Shoes: 6'9
Weight: 217
Wingspan: 7'2.25

Mouhammadou Jaiteh
Height w/Shoes: 6'11
Weight: 249
Wingspan: 7'4

Joel Embiid
Height w/Shoes: 7'0
Weight: 240
Wingspan: 7'5

Sergey Karasev
Height w/Shoes: 6'7
Weight: 197
Wingspan: 6'9.25

Andrew Wiggins
Height w/Shoes: 6'8
Weight: 195
Wingspan: 7'0

Dante Exum
Height w/Shoes: 6'6
Weight: 188
Wingspan: 6'9.25

Gabriel Deck
Height w/Shoes: 6'7
Weight: 228
Wingspan: 6'8.5
Nikola Ivanovic
Height w/Shoes: 6'3
Weight: 193
Wingspan: 6'3.75

Karl Towns
Height w/Shoes: 7'0
Weight: 243
Wingspan: 7'3.5

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2QdmLpNa9
http://www.draftexpress.com

TexHawk
04-16-2013, 12:35 PM
To be fair to our friends down the road, they've gone head to head in both All-Star games this year and they both looked as though they were taking it very personal.

But wouldn't the same thing apply to FSU? KU plays Duke and Parker too.

ncexnyc
04-16-2013, 12:43 PM
But wouldn't the same thing apply to FSU? KU plays Duke and Parker too.

We play the heels at least twice a year and I suspect the rivalry would be a bonus to see who the top dog really is. I doubt KU offers that appeal and I'm not sure if FSU is on our schedule twice next year, plus I don't believe their supporting cast is as strong as the heels.

OnToTheNextOne
04-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Here are the measurements for the US team:

http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/news/

FireOgilvie
04-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Hoop Summit is on right now (ESPN2).

Jabari has missed a couple shots from outside, but he has a dunk. His shooting in these last 3 all-star games has been really off (has he made anything outside of 2 feet?), but everything else about his game has looked good.

MCFinARL
04-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Parker with a big finish to the half, coming in to hit a three off a set play and follow up with a fast break 2, which cut the World lead to 6. Unfortunately, Aaron Gordon fouled Wiggins throwing up an attempted buzzer beater and Wiggins sank all three foul shots to take the lead back to 9 at the half. s

slower
04-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Haven't been overly impressed with Gordon tonight. Wiggins and Randle are physical beasts, while Jabari is smooth, with a versatile all-around game. Wiggins is a very tough assignment for Jabari.

slower
04-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Jabari's finishing the game strong, though. Love to see that heart and competitiveness!

Jabari with the last 6 points for the US. :)

Randle is an animal.

MCFinARL
04-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Jabari's finishing the game strong, though. Love to see that heart and competitiveness!

Randle is an animal.

Yes, overall the world team was stronger, but I agree there was lots to like about Jabari

roywhite
04-20-2013, 10:26 PM

Randle is an animal.

Yeah, it wasn't a great shooting game for Jabari, but he does so many things well, very smart and competes well.

It wasn't one of the best USA teams we've seen in this competition; didn't have great PG play; Andrew Harrison made some plays, but overall the US team was sloppy and often out-hustled by the World team. Not impressed with Aaron Gordon, who has terrific run/jump athletic ability, but so far not the skills or smarts to match. His foul at the end of the 1st half against a 30-ft attempt to beat the buzzer was a really dumb play; the World team got 3 free throws with no time on the clock, and stopped a good run by the USA.

Randle reminds me of a young Chris Webber; very formidable. He'll be very good, but Kentucky will have a lot of work to make all their pieces fit together.

Can't wait to see Jabari on the court for Duke. He'll be something special.

BD80
04-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Yes, overall the world team was stronger, but I agree there was lots to like about Jabari

It looks like he really will be able to step in for Ryan Kelly. And I thought Ryan was our most important player. Jabari has a good sense of the offense, and is comfortable with the offense running through him. He may not yet be quite the shooter Ryan was (in Ryan's hot streaks) but he will be a greater threat going to the basket. Defensively, he has looked slow rotating on help defense, but he doesn't look lost. Playing against the world team that has more advanced offensive players, was undoubtedly a leap defensively (even though he has played on Team USA before). Generally, I think he will be one of our better defenders (his athleticsm balancing his lack of experience).

Olympic Fan
04-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Okay, can;t find a box score, but I got an e-mail from a friend at the game with Parker's line:

27 minutes 10-23 from the floor 22 points, seven rebounds, one assist, three steals and two blocked shots.

I do wonder about the international big man -- Livio Jean-Charles ... he was the best player on the floor (27 points, 13 rebounds) .. 6-9, 218 ... I think he's been playing pro ball in France ... don't know his status

gumbomoop
04-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Boxscore, or photo thereof:

http://pics.lockerz.com/s/289971971

Jabari took several ill-advised 3s, didn't block out effectively, especially given size advantage of World team. Nevertheless, handle, speed, passing, hops - all on display, clearly multi-talented. I posted elsewhere, and repeat here, that I'm most impressed with how quickly Jabari turns after snaring a D-rebound and heads up court at full, smooth dribble and glide-speed. Special. Jabari was rarely out of the game for more than a minute or two at any one time.

Re the debate on other thread re whether Duke's most effective lineup might include Jabari at the 5 on D, he didn't look effective guarding much bigger World players down low. Looked more effective on both O and D playing 3/4, not 5. He plays all over, but he isn't a college 5. My guess would be that, absent Black's arrival, any of Amile/Josh/Marshall would be more "logical" 5 [for 3 different reasons, respectively] on D than Jabari. This "logic" wouldn't preclude an intermittent "small" lineup of Jabari, Rodney, and 3 other perimeter guys, but such a lineup would depend on harassing D, not strength D.

ncexnyc
04-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Not one of the better Nike games. The announcers said it best at the start of the game when they mentioned that Jabari and one of the other USA players were probably the best shooters on the US squad. The team definitely lacked quality firepower from outside. Tons of hops, but against quality competition, in a more structured game such as this one it was obvious we were at a disadvantage.

Jabari is a jack of all trades player and master of one and that one is huge. The kid is clearly a winner. Loved the motor and the effort even when the game was clearly lost. It's easy to see why the basketball gurus claim he's the most complete and college ready player out of the lot. While it's debatable whether Randle and Wiggins have more upside, I'm very happy with Mr. Parker coming to Duke next year.

UK has the top class, but Calapari will have his hands full with that lot. A ton of raw ability, which will overwhelm most teams they play, but can they function as a team to beat quality competition, that's the question.

The PG from Germany looked really good as did the big man from France. Surprised there weren't any Chinese kids on the World Team, as they've had several of the past few years.

BD80
04-21-2013, 12:05 PM
... UK has the top class, but Calapari will have his hands full with that lot. A ton of raw ability, which will overwhelm most teams they play, but can they function as a team to beat quality competition, that's the question. ...

I'm not sold on Harrison as a point guard. Has loads of skill and quickness, but doesn't make great decisions and doesn't "quarterback" - as in gaging what the team needs at each particular possession given the game situation. I can see the shooters on Ky (other than his brother) going long stretches without seeing the ball, while Harrison tries a dozen consecutive drives and/or alley-oop attempts.

slower
04-21-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm not sold on Harrison as a point guard. Has loads of skill and quickness, but doesn't make great decisions and doesn't "quarterback" - as in gaging what the team needs at each particular possession given the game situation. I can see the shooters on Ky (other than his brother) going long stretches without seeing the ball, while Harrison tries a dozen consecutive drives and/or alley-oop attempts.

Plus - and this may be TOTALLY off the mark - he has a really irritating facial expression happening at all times. He LOOKS like he's a combination of overwhelmingly cocky, disgusted and disinterested, all at the same time.

If this facial expression is a true reflection of his feelings (and again, I have NO way of knowing this), he's not going to be a media darling, that's for sure.

slower
04-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Plus - and this may be TOTALLY off the mark - he has a really irritating facial expression happening at all times. He LOOKS like he's a combination of overwhelmingly cocky, disgusted and disinterested, all at the same time.

If this facial expression is a true reflection of his feelings (and again, I have NO way of knowing this), he's not going to be a media darling, that's for sure.

Oh, and Harrison is one of the morons who said he'd beat Michael Jordan (in his prime) one-on-one. This kid looks like a real sweetheart.

Newton_14
04-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Not one of the better Nike games. The announcers said it best at the start of the game when they mentioned that Jabari and one of the other USA players were probably the best shooters on the US squad. The team definitely lacked quality firepower from outside. Tons of hops, but against quality competition, in a more structured game such as this one it was obvious we were at a disadvantage.

Jabari is a jack of all trades player and master of one and that one is huge. The kid is clearly a winner. Loved the motor and the effort even when the game was clearly lost. It's easy to see why the basketball gurus claim he's the most complete and college ready player out of the lot. While it's debatable whether Randle and Wiggins have more upside, I'm very happy with Mr. Parker coming to Duke next year.

UK has the top class, but Calapari will have his hands full with that lot. A ton of raw ability, which will overwhelm most teams they play, but can they function as a team to beat quality competition, that's the question.

The PG from Germany looked really good as did the big man from France. Surprised there weren't any Chinese kids on the World Team, as they've had several of the past few years.

Totally agree. Their guards destroyed our guards, and their bigs had their way inside. We got killed on the boards. Add in the point you make above about lack of shooters on the US and it all spelled doom. The Harrison twins may be a tad overrated. It was not Andrew's best game. He has great size, strength, and ball handling skills, but is not overly quick and not a great shooter. Randle is a beast. Wish he had come with Jabari to Duke.

I still maintain that Jabari is the most complete player in this class. As Gumbomoop commented upstream, superior ball handling skills and motor makes him a one man fast break at times. I swear the kid could run the point if he had too. The midrange jumpshot is lethal too. We are getting a gem of a player.

roywhite
04-21-2013, 02:01 PM

Agree; and he appeared to be chawing on a wad of gum DURING the game action. Don't recall seeing that at levels of basketball beyond middle school.

Coach Cal comes off a 1st round NIT loss to Robert Morris and now has a new group of phenoms to try to mold into a team. May not be easy.

slower
04-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Coach Cal comes off a 1st round NIT loss to Robert Morris and now has a new group of phenoms to try to mold into a team. May not be easy.

You got that right! Something tells me that when Julius Randle calls for the ball, you BETTER get him the ball. UK next year has all the makings of a circus, and not in a good way. I can hardly wait. ;)

MCFinARL
04-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Agree; and he appeared to be chawing on a wad of gum DURING the game action. Don't recall seeing that at levels of basketball beyond middle school.

I feel almost certain that I have seen players chewing gum during game action at the NBA level, but I don't have (and am not willing to spend the time to find) specific proof, so I could be wrong. I just remember thinking it seemed really odd, and potentially dangerous, or at least distracting, to be chewing while playing. Plus the complete obliviousness of everyone on the planet to how bad they look while chewing gum has always sort of shocked me.

Yes, I think this season could be really challenging. Barring injury they should have enough talent, at a high enough level, to get back to the tournament (based on yesterday's performance, Randle might almost be able to do it by himself), but whether Calipari can harness all those egos to a common cause is another question altogether.

Double DD
04-21-2013, 04:21 PM

I feel almost certain that I have seen players chewing gum during game action at the NBA level, but I don't have (and am not willing to spend the time to find) specific proof, so I could be wrong. I just remember thinking it seemed really odd, and potentially dangerous, or at least distracting, to be chewing while playing. Plus the complete obliviousness of everyone on the planet to how bad they look while chewing gum has always sort of shocked me.

It's really quite common. I've seen Jordan, Payton, Kidd and numerous other players chewing gum during the game at times.

NashvilleDevil
04-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Oh, and Harrison is one of the morons who said he'd beat Michael Jordan (in his prime) one-on-one. This kid looks like a real sweetheart.

Duke recruit Matt Jones said he could beat Jordan too.

Bluedog
04-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Duke recruit Matt Jones said he could beat Jordan too.

Based on how Jones phrased it, I'm pretty sure he was joking. Harrison may have been joking as well, though. Hard to tell just reading the quotes and not being able to discern tone.

NashvilleDevil
04-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Based on how Jones phrased it, I'm pretty sure he was joking. Harrison may have been joking as well, though. Hard to tell just reading the quotes and not being able to discern tone.

This is true and based on how Harrison carries himself I'm sure he was being 100% serious. Just wanted to let the poster know that some could say the same thing about Matt based on only hus answer.

Greg_Newton
04-22-2013, 02:23 AM
Guys, they were all joking around. An interviewer asked them the question and they laughed and went down the line with their answers. Plenty of things to hold against them, I'm sure, but this was just kids goofing around.

minns 10
04-22-2013, 07:10 AM
i know this may be sacreligious on this board, but Jabari strikes me as a kid who will be a good but not great player. Im just really not seeing what makes him head and shoulders better than these other guys. I had the same feeling about austin rivers as well so i hope that Jabari proves me wrong on this feeling.

i also hope he turns out to be phenominal and someone quotes what i just wrote and i look foolish.

slower
04-22-2013, 08:52 AM
i know this may be sacreligious on this board, but Jabari strikes me as a kid who will be a good but not great player. Im just really not seeing what makes him head and shoulders better than these other guys. I had the same feeling about austin rivers as well so i hope that Jabari proves me wrong on this feeling.

i also hope he turns out to be phenominal and someone quotes what i just wrote and i look foolish.

I'm not sure who's saying he's "head and shoulders" better than the rest of them. At the very top, the differences can be almost incremental. Personally, Randle looks to me to be the beast of the group.

Jabari definitely looks to be the most COMPLETE and polished of the group, and I imagine he'll be a major, major cog for us next year. Notice that Team USA had him as the primary inbounder at the Hoops Summit. So, at the very least, he SEEMS to be like a more athletic Ryan Kelly. Maybe not quite as good of a shooter, but with a much better handle. We shall see.

CDu
04-22-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure who's saying he's "head and shoulders" better than the rest of them. At the very top, the differences can be almost incremental. Personally, Randle looks to me to be the beast of the group.

Jabari definitely looks to be the most COMPLETE and polished of the group, and I imagine he'll be a major, major cog for us next year. Notice that Team USA had him as the primary inbounder at the Hoops Summit. So, at the very least, he SEEMS to be like a more athletic Ryan Kelly. Maybe not quite as good of a shooter, but with a much better handle. We shall see.

The key to Parker's game (in terms of separating himself from the field) appears to be his shooting. He shoots a lot of jumpshots. When those are falling, everything else falls into place. When those aren't falling, he looks just like a typical good high school player.

But what is impressive about Parker his how many different things he can do on a basketball court at 6'8"-6'9". He can handle the ball. He can pass. He can post up. He can shoot. He can penetrate. He can block shots. He hustles. He's the type of player who stays involved in the game, even when his shot isn't falling.

I do think it is worth noting that he's gone head-to-head against Wiggins 3 times recently, and all 3 times he had a poor shooting game. Perhaps he's trying so hard to outplay Wiggins that he was pressing and missing his shots. Who knows?

Ichabod Drain
04-22-2013, 09:26 AM
You got that right! Something tells me that when Julius Randle calls for the ball, you BETTER get him the ball. UK next year has all the makings of a circus, and not in a good way. I can hardly wait. ;)

It may be a circus but i have a feeling they are going to be clowning all their opponents. Hope not but they definitely have all the pieces.

Kedsy
04-22-2013, 10:31 AM
I had the same feeling about austin rivers as well so i hope that Jabari proves me wrong on this feeling.

Well, Austin Rivers led Duke in minutes and points (at 15.5 ppg), was 2nd on the team in steals and assists, and among Duke players under 6'10 led in rebounds. Plus he was first team All ACC. And he hit one of the biggest regular season shots in Duke history. And he was a lottery pick. Personally, I'd argue Austin Rivers "proved you wrong." What do you think he would have done if he was "great"?

minns 10
04-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Well, Austin Rivers led Duke in minutes and points (at 15.5 ppg), was 2nd on the team in steals and assists, and among Duke players under 6'10 led in rebounds. Plus he was first team All ACC. And he hit one of the biggest regular season shots in Duke history. And he was a lottery pick. Personally, I'd argue Austin Rivers "proved you wrong." What do you think he would have done if he was "great"?

got out of the first round of the tourney, not monopolized the ball, played defense...

Kedsy
04-22-2013, 10:48 AM
got out of the first round of the tourney, not monopolized the ball, played defense...

So if Ryan Kelly hadn't gotten hurt and Duke had "got out of the first round of the tourney," that would have meant Austin Rivers was a better player?

roywhite
04-22-2013, 11:02 AM

But what is impressive about Parker his how many different things he can do on a basketball court at 6'8"-6'9". He can handle the ball. He can pass. He can post up. He can shoot. He can penetrate. He can block shots. He hustles. He's the type of player who stays involved in the game, even when his shot isn't falling.

Yeah, I really like Jabari's game and CDu makes a great point about his all-around ability.

There may be some games where he scores 25 points or even more; there may also be games where he scores 12 points and has a big influence on the game through rebounding, steals, passing, etc.
He really plays unusually well within the team concept.

To the original poster, it may depend on your definition of "phenomenal". In my view, he could well end up as not the leading scorer on the team, but still contribute in an outstanding way.

whereinthehellami
04-22-2013, 11:05 AM
I thought Parker looked good despite his cold shooting from the outside. I'd be more concerned with his shooting if the announcers hadn't mentioned that he shot it really well the night before in a scrimmage. In the McDonald's game they said the same thing. I agree with a poster above that he might have been trying too hard to upstage Wiggins and regain his number 1 HS ranking. His handle looks really good, he gets good elevation on his shot, and has a high release point to go with his nice wingspan. I'm not too crazy about the fade away but it is indefensible when he is hitting it. i love Parker's intangible's and basketball IQ. I think the kid is a winner and will fit right in with next year's team, which is something that can't be said about a lot of the other top HS players.

Gordon has major holes in his game, his handle and shooting need at least a year in my mind. College is going to be a huge adjustment for him as he can no longer just out physical his opponents.

I'm not a big fan of Randle either. The guy should dominate but he does not. I question his effort and basketball IQ. Does he have the desire to be a winner?

I feel the same way with the Harrison twins than I do with Randle. And I am looking forward to watching the circus next year in Lexington. The talking heads keep hyping UK's recruiting class as the best ever. I think they are a big paper tiger. i have no doubt that they will steamroll lesser opponents but I would not put any money on them going up against any quality team.

mccollums
04-22-2013, 11:33 AM
UK fan here - I came away very very impressed with Parker from all the games. I can easily see why he is ranked #2 or #3. It's clear Wiggins is on another level athletically and he should be ranked #1. It certainly doesn't mean he will be the best player in college next season though. I can see someone arguing that Parker is more skilled, but Wiggins athleticism makes the game so easy for him. I would like him to see him use those gifts to shoot a high percentage and not be a volume scorer.

If it was my job to rank the kids, I would be torn between Randle or Parker at #2. Randle has looked really good on drives, but he's also been playing the 5 in the JBC and Hoops summit. A center can not guard him on the perimeter, and it's part of the reason he's looked so good. With Parker, he will be able to do EVERYTHING next season for you guys. Rebounding, shooting, defense etc..etc... He is long enough and athletic enough to switch and defend a shooting guard to a college center.
To me, Parker and Randle are head and shoulders above #4. Parker will probably figure out the college game a little quicker then Randle though. Randle is going to be a bull in a china shop early next season - many charging calls in his future.

The one thing I don't agree with is that Parker can play extended minutes at the 5. Against lower level teams, sure - but not against teams with good length. It would be very similar to how the World team outmatched the USA team in the Hoops Summit game. USA did not have any true centers and they really struggled on the glass. Parker measured 8'8" standing reach - so he would be giving up 4-6 inches of length to a long center.

I would love for this game to be played again with the USA team getting a little more preparation time and a legit big man or two. I also think they make all the high school all star games played with 4 -12min quarters.

another note - unless Sulaimon makes a big leap next season - Parker will be your best player. After seeing a few truly elite kids the last 3-4 years at UK ... the true studs are just simply better. You can throw out the he's only freshman logic, or the he won't start over a sophomore logic. Doesn't apply when you have a freshman come in with the skill level that Parker possesses. He's going to be more like Kyrie then Austin. He's just going to get it and be a force from day 1. IMO.

roywhite
04-22-2013, 11:45 AM
UK fan here - I came away very very impressed with Parker from all the games. I can easily see why he is ranked #2 or #3. It's clear Wiggins is on another level athletically and he should be ranked #1. It certainly doesn't mean he will be the best player in college next season though. I can see someone arguing that Parker is more skilled, but Wiggins athleticism makes the game so easy for him. I would like him to see him use those gifts to shoot a high percentage and not be a volume scorer.

If it was my job to rank the kids, I would be torn between Randle or Parker at #2. Randle has looked really good on drives, but he's also been playing the 5 in the JBC and Hoops summit. A center can not guard him on the perimeter, and it's part of the reason he's looked so good. With Parker, he will be able to do EVERYTHING next season for you guys. Rebounding, shooting, defense etc..etc... He is long enough and athletic enough to switch and defend a shooting guard to a college center.
To me, Parker and Randle are head and shoulders above #4. Parker will probably figure out the college game a little quicker then Randle though. Randle is going to be a bull in a china shop early next season - many charging calls in his future.

The one thing I don't agree with is that Parker can play extended minutes at the 5. Against lower level teams, sure - but not against teams with good length. It would be very similar to how the World team outmatched the USA team in the Hoops Summit game. USA did not have any true centers and they really struggled on the glass. Parker measured 8'8" standing reach - so he would be giving up 4-6 inches of length to a long center.

I would love for this game to be played again with the USA team getting a little more preparation time and a legit big man or two. I also think they make all the high school all star games played with 4 -12min quarters.

another note - unless Sulaimon makes a big leap next season - Parker will be your best player. After seeing a few truly elite kids the last 3-4 years at UK ... the true studs are just simply better. You can throw out the he's only freshman logic, or the he won't start over a sophomore logic. Doesn't apply when you have a freshman come in with the skill level that Parker possesses. He's going to be more like Kyrie then Austin. He's just going to get it and be a force from day 1. IMO.

Thanks for stopping by, and generally agree with your comments. I like Parker a lot.

One thing you mention is a weakness for this USA team at the center position; wouldn't disagree with that, but I thought the greater problem was a lack of leadership and good PG play.

Andrew Harrison has some talent, but was overall not impressive; didn't influence the game in a particularly positive way, and didn't seem to be a PG who sets up those around him enough. Is he the answer for your 2013-14 team at PG?

CDu
04-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks for stopping by, and generally agree with your comments. I like Parker a lot.

One thing you mention is a weakness for this USA team at the center position; wouldn't disagree with that, but I thought the greater problem was a lack of leadership and good PG play.

Andrew Harrison has some talent, but was overall not impressive; didn't influence the game in a particularly positive way, and didn't seem to be a PG who sets up those around him enough. Is he the answer for your 2013-14 team at PG?

Harrison's development is going to be huge for UK's chances next year. The main reason that UK struggled this year (aside from Noel's eventual knee injury - though they were a bubble team already at that point) was that they didn't have good PG play. Goodwin wasn't a PG, and Harrow and Mays weren't good enough. As a result, they just had no offensive continuity.

UK should be absolutely load at SG through C next year. The question will be whether or not Harrison can distribute well enough to everyone or whether he'll just pass it to his brother a bunch. If he is as good as his ranking suggests next year, UK will be VERY hard to beat.

mccollums
04-22-2013, 12:23 PM

That's a good question. No way to answer that. The USA team didn't even get to have all 4 of their scheduled practices. I I thought the Draftexpress guy, (Jonathan Givony) had a great tweet early in the game - saying the USA team was still in all star mode.

I agree that the guard play was a factor. I think the USA team got beat in all facets of the game. World team had 24 assists to USA's 15... World team had 50 -35 rebounding advantage. A little coaching would go a long way if they played again though. Schroeder's speed surprised the USA team - they would be much more attentive on getting back on D in another game. There was a lot of talent on the floor for both sides - these kids will not experience that type of talent next season.

Back to the Andrew Harrison.... I was really hoping Andrew would step in and play like a Junior. Now I think it's going to be a work in progress just like all the other past Calipari point guards. I thought he made some really nice plays and as many boneheaded plays. I'm expecting that same type of play for most of the year next season- with him tightening up by March (hopefully). When it's all said and done - I think he will be a better freshman PG then Marquis Teague. I can't compare him to Brandon Knight because Knight was more of a shooting guard playing point. Andrew Harrison has much better vision then Knight. He is definitely not the same type of talent as Rose or Wall. One thing I really like is that he plays with his head up. I thought he tried to score a little too much in the all star games but you can see that he keeps his head up and is capable of making really nice passes. He should have done what Brandon Jennings tried in the McDonalds game years ago and try to break the assist record...instead he seemed like he wanted to show that he could do everything. Also, the kid is consistently in the top 5-10 players by all the scouts....I know they have been wrong before, but the odds are he is going to be pretty darn good basketball player.

Saratoga2
04-22-2013, 12:37 PM

I agree that Wiggins was thought of asw #1 due to his incredible athletic ability. He will be a high draft choice next spring, possibly #1. That said, Jabari is also a legitimate #2 based on his overall game, which should translate well at the college level.

If it was my job to rank the kids, I would be torn between Randle or Parker at #2. Randle has looked really good on drives, but he's also been playing the 5 in the JBC and Hoops summit. A center can not guard him on the perimeter, and it's part of the reason he's looked so good. With Parker, he will be able to do EVERYTHING next season for you guys. Rebounding, shooting, defense etc..etc... He is long enough and athletic enough to switch and defend a shooting guard to a college center. To me, Parker and Randle are head and shoulders above #4. Parker will probably figure out the college game a little quicker then Randle though. Randle is going to be a bull in a china shop early next season - many charging calls in his future. The one thing I don't agree with is that Parker can play extended minutes at the 5. Against lower level teams, sure - but not against teams with good length. It would be very similar to how the World team outmatched the USA team in the Hoops Summit game. USA did not have any true centers and they really struggled on the glass. Parker measured 8'8" standing reach - so he would be giving up 4-6 inches of length to a long center.

I agree that Randle and Parker are clearly the #2 and #3 players. I think both will do better at PF going forward. Randle is a little more physical and should handle the center spot better than Parker. I don't see either dealing well with reallt big and long centers.

I think the most valuable player on the Duke team will be up for grabs between Rasheed, Rodney and Jabari. Jabari is inexperienced at the college level so he has more to learn but also is extremely talented. Rodney has been touted as very good and has a year of college play and another year of practice on the Duke squad, whereas Rasheed had numerous games where he was terrific offensively and defensively. When you think of it as a close call between those three with many other good players on the roster, it is something to look forward to.

mccollums
04-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Harrison's development is going to be huge for UK's chances next year. The main reason that UK struggled this year (aside from Noel's eventual knee injury - though they were a bubble team already at that point) was that they didn't have good PG play. Goodwin wasn't a PG, and Harrow and Mays weren't good enough. As a result, they just had no offensive continuity.

UK should be absolutely load at SG through C next year. The question will be whether or not Harrison can distribute well enough to everyone or whether he'll just pass it to his brother a bunch. If he is as good as his ranking suggests next year, UK will be VERY hard to beat.

It's true- PG was a big issue. I do think Harrow is getting blamed too much though. Calipari deserves some blame because he had Harrow for a full year in practice before he turned the team over to him.

Goodwin and Poythress never bought in and played defense.... If it wasn't for Noel and Cauley Stein - UK would have allowed teams to shoot a high percentage all season long. UK's guards/wings just didn't want to defend. Mays tried, but he was limited athletically.

I don't want to derail this thread with more UK talk :-)

At the end of every season I always write out lineups for the next season's perceived best teams. Every season I always hope that Duke won't be good again... ha ha. But, I think the addition of Parker alone will make Duke very good. And, once again you guys will have plenty of shooters, which absolutely annoys me :-)
What's interesting with Duke is you guys will have a deep, deep, deep bench. Alot of unproven players, but alot of stars (from their high school days) behind their names as well. You guys will be loaded from PG to PF. I can't see Duke having "chemistry" issues - but there's definitely alot of players that will want some PT next season. You guys think Coach K will settle in on a 7 man rotation? Or maybe go deeper next season?

EDIT: forgot about Hood. Wow, going to be an interesting and completely different looking Duke team. I would think Coach K would be very excited about all the possible different lineups and style of play options he will have next season.

roywhite
04-22-2013, 12:46 PM
That's a good question. No way to answer that. The USA team didn't even get to have all 4 of their scheduled practices. I I thought the Draftexpress guy, (Jonathan Givony) had a great tweet early in the game - saying the USA team was still in all star mode.

I agree that the guard play was a factor. I think the USA team got beat in all facets of the game. World team had 24 assists to USA's 15... World team had 50 -35 rebounding advantage. A little coaching would go a long way if they played again though. Schroeder's speed surprised the USA team - they would be much more attentive on getting back on D in another game. There was a lot of talent on the floor for both sides - these kids will not experience that type of talent next season.

Back to the Andrew Harrison.... I was really hoping Andrew would step in and play like a Junior. Now I think it's going to be a work in progress just like all the other past Calipari point guards. I thought he made some really nice plays and as many boneheaded plays. I'm expecting that same type of play for most of the year next season- with him tightening up by March (hopefully). When it's all said and done - I think he will be a better freshman PG then Marquis Teague. I can't compare him to Brandon Knight because Knight was more of a shooting guard playing point. Andrew Harrison has much better vision then Knight. He is definitely not the same type of talent as Rose or Wall. One thing I really like is that he plays with his head up. I thought he tried to score a little too much in the all star games but you can see that he keeps his head up and is capable of making really nice passes. He should have done what Brandon Jennings tried in the McDonalds game years ago and try to break the assist record...instead he seemed like he wanted to show that he could do everything. Also, the kid is consistently in the top 5-10 players by all the scouts....I know they have been wrong before, but the odds are he is going to be pretty darn good basketball player.

Those comments seem right on.

Obviously, a lot of talk about Kentucky's incoming class, but a lot of work to be done to live up to the hype.

From a basketball perspective, really liked that 2012 national champ team of Kentucky and Calipari; they played hard, played good defense, and shared the ball. It will be difficult to reach that level even with a high level of incoming talent to join some other good players from the past year.

CDu
04-22-2013, 12:50 PM
It's true- PG was a big issue. I do think Harrow is getting blamed too much though. Calipari deserves some blame because he had Harrow for a full year in practice before he turned the team over to him.

Goodwin and Poythress never bought in and played defense.... If it wasn't for Noel and Cauley Stein - UK would have allowed teams to shoot a high percentage all season long. UK's guards/wings just didn't want to defend. Mays tried, but he was limited athletically.

I don't want to derail this thread with more UK talk :-)

At the end of every season I always write out lineups for the next season's perceived best teams. Every season I always hope that Duke won't be good again... ha ha. But, I think the addition of Parker alone will make Duke very good. And, once again you guys will have plenty of shooters, which absolutely annoys me :-)
What's interesting with Duke is you guys will have a deep, deep, deep bench. Alot of unproven players, but alot of stars (from their high school days) behind their names as well. You guys will be loaded from PG to PF. I can't see Duke having "chemistry" issues - but there's definitely alot of players that will want some PT next season. You guys think Coach K will settle in on a 7 man rotation? Or maybe go deeper next season?

No disagreement on Harrow/Cal. Both parties take the blame there. Whatever the ultimate cause, it just didn't work out.

As for Duke next year, I would expect Coach K to stay with a 7-8 man rotation. It's just the way he does things. So there will be a few (as many as 4-5) guys who aren't getting as many minutes as they'd like. It's a situation not unlike what will happen at UK next year (especially if you guys get Wiggins).

As Duke fans, we'll just have to hope that the guys whose minutes take a hit will realize that the 2014-2015 season provides ample opportunity for playing time. Thornton, Hairston, and Dawkins will be gone. Parker will probably be gone. Either Hood or Sulaimon (or both) could be gone. It's even remotely possible that Cook will be gone. We're in the hunt for a few big names in the 2014 recruiting class, but we could have a TON of minutes open up at SG, SF, and PF that year. We'll see what happens.

mccollums
04-22-2013, 12:56 PM
No disagreement on Harrow/Cal. Both parties take the blame there. Whatever the ultimate cause, it just didn't work out.

As for Duke next year, I would expect Coach K to stay with a 7-8 man rotation. It's just the way he does things. So there will be a few (as many as 4-5) guys who aren't getting as many minutes as they'd like. It's a situation not unlike what will happen at UK next year (especially if you guys get Wiggins).

As Duke fans, we'll just have to hope that the guys whose minutes take a hit will realize that the 2014-2015 season provides ample opportunity for playing time. Thornton, Hairston, and Dawkins will be gone. Parker will probably be gone. Either Hood or Sulaimon (or both) could be gone. It's even remotely possible that Cook will be gone. We're in the hunt for a few big names in the 2014 recruiting class, but we could have a TON of minutes open up at SG, SF, and PF that year. We'll see what happens.

Another thing about Harrow - he had not played in live action for a year. And, he was only a sophomore. A third year sophomore but still very young and inexperienced. Might be more fuel to the fire of why opposing fans don't like Calipari and UK - but I think everyone has been too hard on the kid.

Back to the Hoops Summit - Dante Exum looked really good too. I know he already has a list of teams recruiting him - but I bet that list grows :-)