PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke vs. OK State

dukelifer
03-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Duke is playing poorly and are at risk at going down big at the half. Too many turnovers and not hitting shots.

dukelifer
03-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Down by 13- banked 3 at the end of the half. Duke in big big trouble. Will need a big time comeback.

_Gary
03-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Duke is playing poorly and are at risk at going down big at the half. Too many turnovers and not hitting shots.

I've never seen this team play so sloppy and uninspired. This is just amazing to me seeing as how they are at home and should have had a lot more energy than they displayed. It will take a minor miracle for them to win at this point.

dukelifer
03-26-2013, 08:23 PM
I've never seen this team play so sloppy and uninspired. This is just amazing to me seeing as how they are at home and should have had a lot more energy than they displayed. It will take a minor miracle for them to win at this point.

Duke made and early run but OK state is rebounding and has settled down. Not looking good

stillcrazie
03-26-2013, 08:33 PM
That is all.

throatybeard
03-26-2013, 08:36 PM
We're coming back. Chelsea has some nice earrings. DelleDonneWare is closing on UNC.

_Gary
03-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Go Ladies, Go!!!!

dukelifer
03-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Go Ladies, Go!!!!

Amazing comeback!

throatybeard
03-26-2013, 08:54 PM
The ATT at this game is sad.

Didn't we have a 4OT barn-burner with these gals in 1995?

dukelifer
03-26-2013, 09:05 PM
That was a great team win. The D was relentless

Duvall
03-26-2013, 09:06 PM
The ATT at this game is sad.

Didn't we have a 4OT barn-burner with these gals in 1995?

That was Alabama, I think. No TV back then.

Upstairs attendance doesn't look bad, but the students - well, it is what is.

Duvall
03-26-2013, 09:07 PM
47-25 second half - not bad.

stillcrazie
03-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Sometimes it works! GTHC!!!

dukelifer
03-26-2013, 09:08 PM
47-25 second half - not bad.

Kansas against UNC like

Indoor66
03-26-2013, 09:12 PM
and unc LOSES

SCMatt33
03-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Awesome night of Women's ball. I'm the only Dukie in a family of Blue Hens, so everyone in my house is excited! Great performances for Duke and Delaware. GTHC.

dukelifer
03-26-2013, 09:16 PM
and unc LOSES

Makes for quite a night.

75Crazie
03-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Once again, my two favorite teams win. Has there ever been a better year for Duke ABCers?

burnspbesq
03-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Once again, my two favorite teams win. Has there ever been a better year for Duke ABCers?

Send a little love to the Brown men's lax team. They get Carolina tomorrow night on ESPNU.

We play them in women's lax on Thursday night at Koskinen. Fill the place up, y'all.

OldPhiKap
03-26-2013, 09:38 PM
Duke wins, UNC loses.

A good week continues . . . .

DU82
03-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Just back from the game. I thought after OSU hit their first three of the second half to go up 13 (I think, everything here's from memory), we were goners. We were flat, getting beat badly on D, and missing easy shots.

Then, the defense turned it on, and easier shots fell. Chloe Wells probably saved the season. When the rest couldn't hit the side of a barn, she drained a couple in a row to pick up the team. Tricia found her shot as well. Elizabeth, who missed somewhere around a hundred layups early, and Haley rebounded everything. KJ came in for about three minutes and played terrific D (Coach P mentioned her specifically after the game) and the fresh legs really helped. OSU's starting five was great, but that's about all they had (I'm not sure their bench scored) and got run down in the second half. We're not much deeper, playing seven regularly (plus KJ for a few minutes) but we're definitely in better shape for an up and down game.

Nebraska is the next opponent, they beat Texas A&M in College Station fairly easily, so they're not to be taken lightly (nobody at this point should be taken lightly!)

WakeDevil
03-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Home game for Delaware. Try doing that with the guys.

Duvall
03-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Home game for Delaware. Try doing that with the guys.

Worked for Cal this year

burnspbesq
03-26-2013, 09:51 PM
First half was pretty putrid. Arguably our worst 20 minutes since the second half against UConn. I imagine the painters are in the Duke locker room doing touch-up work as we speak.

Second half, we forced them out of what they did well in the first half, and they started to commit turnovers in wholesale quantities.

Would be nice to see us play two good halves in the same game some time.

Ah, well. On to Norfolk. Yes, Bugeaters, we are coming for you.

bedeviled
03-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Listening to the WBB game on the radio, I heard the announcers mention Delaware's star player, Elena Delle Donne. When I clicked onto ESPN.com tonight, her performance in the win over UNC was the centerpiece on the front page. So, I pulled up her wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elena_Delle_Donne) to educate myself.

Her story is compelling, turning down a UConn scholarship due to "burnout" and desire to be with her older sister who is blind and deaf. Also of interest, her older brother, Gene, evidently played tight end at Duke prior to transferring to Middle Tennessee. Who knew?

Newton_14
03-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Just back from the game. I thought after OSU hit their first three of the second half to go up 13 (I think, everything here's from memory), we were goners. We were flat, getting beat badly on D, and missing easy shots.

Then, the defense turned it on, and easier shots fell. Chloe Wells probably saved the season. When the rest couldn't hit the side of a barn, she drained a couple in a row to pick up the team. Tricia found her shot as well. Elizabeth, who missed somewhere around a hundred layups early, and Haley rebounded everything. KJ came in for about three minutes and played terrific D (Coach P mentioned her specifically after the game) and the fresh legs really helped. OSU's starting five was great, but that's about all they had (I'm not sure their bench scored) and got run down in the second half. We're not much deeper, playing seven regularly (plus KJ for a few minutes) but we're definitely in better shape for an up and down game.

Nebraska is the next opponent, they beat Texas A&M in College Station fairly easily, so they're not to be taken lightly (nobody at this point should be taken lightly!)

I listened to the entire 2nd half on the radio. Great comeback! Sounded like the D got racheted up a lot and as you note I think I heard "Chloe Wells" about 30 times. Once they finally took the lead, the crowd noise finally resonated through on the radio and it felt to me sort of like the Kelly 3 in the 2011 UNC home game, that gave Duke the lead for the first time all game. I said to myself "Ball Game", and the proved me right.

Well done Duke Women!

throatybeard
03-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Norfolk? I don't like the sound of that. I was in Norfolk in 2004 when Minnesota dropped the hammer on our last Beard/Tillis/Krapohl team.

Not that these things cause.

DU82
03-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Listening to the WBB game on the radio, I heard the announcers mention Delaware's star player, Elena Delle Donne. When I clicked onto ESPN.com tonight, her performance in the win over UNC was the centerpiece on the front page. So, I pulled up her wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elena_Delle_Donne) to educate myself.

Her story is compelling, turning down a UConn scholarship due to "burnout" and desire to be with her older sister who is blind and deaf. Also of interest, her older brother, Gene, evidently played tight end at Duke prior to transferring to Middle Tennessee. Who knew?

He was a quarterback who was suspended from the team, and then passed in the depth charts by Zack Asack. It was my impression that he transferred because he wasn't tall enough. :-)

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-26-2013, 10:15 PM

FYI Elena's brother was recruited to play QB at Duke. The offensive scheme changed after he arrived and he began to look for better opportunities for getting to play. He visited Pitt, but later decided to transfer to Middle Tennessee.

buddy
03-26-2013, 10:20 PM
FYI Elena's brother was recruited to play QB at Duke. The offensive scheme changed after he arrived and he began to look for better opportunities for getting to play. He visited Pitt, but later decided to transfer to Middle Tennessee.

I think he also found himself buried on the depth chart. He got caught in an ALE sweep and was suspended for a game. Both he an Asack were being redshirted, but injuries required the team to burn a redshirt for the very game for which Gene was suspended. Asack ended up starting. I understood that but for the suspension, Asack would have been redshirted and Gene would have played. Asack started most of the rest of that season.

uh_no
03-26-2013, 10:31 PM

It's even more than just turning down the scholly, she was on campus starting the summer semester before realizing it wasn't where she wanted to be. She was very close to her sister who had cerebral palsy and says she felt like she went to connecticut because that's what everybody expected the top basketball player to do.

While it was certainly dissapointing for huskies fans not to see her play for connecticut (and i'm sure the rest of the country is thrilled that she hasn't been on the connecticut teams these past few years....), most people wished her the best, and she left with Geno's grace, who has said that while he wasn't sure he completely understood what she was doing, he had no business stopping her from doing what she thought she needed to do.

For my part, I am glad that she found somewhere where she could be happy, and after a year off from basketball, was able to come back to the game and dominate. While I can't help but think what could have been, she's in a good place, and that's what's important.

bedeviled
03-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the responses to my Delle Donne education...consider me learned!! Since the departure was the fault of my ignorance, I will attempt to lead us back on-thread:
I've been dismayed with the extra official time-outs at the end of games this year as refs review to see if there should be 34.1 or 35.4 seconds on the clock. Although it hurts a team like UNC men the most, due to not usually using their time-outs, playing fast paced, and appearing to not have the best in-game coaching, it frequently offers some advantage in games - heck, a coach can even simply question the time, forcing the refs to go to replay, and allowing the coach to quickly set up a defensive/offensive play.

Anyway, in my recollection, Duke had started their late-game run tonight, the announcers had just mentioned that OSU's starters were feeling fatigue, and then the refs go to the monitor for what felt like a full 4-minute timeout! I think it was before Williams' free throws, but it might have been Alexis Jones. I was upset because I thought it gave OSU a breather and a chance to regroup against the run. Thankfully, it may have been too little, too late in the game. I was wondering how fans courtside felt about this break. Did it feel like a break in the momentum or was the game already wrapped up?

DU82
03-26-2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all the responses to my Delle Donne education...consider me learned!! Since the departure was the fault of my ignorance, I will attempt to lead us back on-thread:
I've been dismayed with the extra official time-outs at the end of games this year as refs review to see if there should be 34.1 or 35.4 seconds on the clock. Although it hurts a team like UNC men the most, due to not usually using their time-outs, playing fast paced, and appearing to not have the best in-game coaching, it frequently offers some advantage in games - heck, a coach can even simply question the time, forcing the refs to go to replay, and allowing the coach to quickly set up a defensive/offensive play.

Anyway, in my recollection, Duke had started their late-game run tonight, the announcers had just mentioned that OSU's starters were feeling fatigue, and then the refs go to the monitor for what felt like a full 4-minute timeout! I think it was before Williams' free throws, but it might have been Alexis Jones. I was upset because I thought it gave OSU a breather and a chance to regroup against the run. Thankfully, it may have been too little, too late in the game. I was wondering how fans courtside felt about this break. Did it feel like a break in the momentum or was the game already wrapped up?

It was a bit frustrating, because they ended up only putting back .7 seconds on the clock. I thought it would ice Alexis on the one and one, but she drained her two free throws. I must confess it didn't occur to me that it was giving OSU a breather. While the game seemed in hand, with 53.1/53.8 seconds left and an eight point lead (I believe) it wasn't over until it was over. (Thanks Yogi!)

The PA announcer did say what the long review was about. At first, I thought it might be to properly identify which OSU player committed the foul, but after the announcement, I went to the iPad and the ESPN broadcast to see that the clock stopped briefly, then ran long after the foul was whistled.

Kedsy
03-27-2013, 12:36 AM
At one point in time, I believe Duke was down double figures and UNC was up double figures. To have both of those things reverse was pretty darned sweet.

AncientPsychicT
03-27-2013, 01:17 AM
Well, that was a tale of two halves if I ever saw one.

Thoughts on the first half:
- Boy was that U-G-L-Y!! Perhaps the worst half of basketball I have seen Duke play this year, men or women. While it just stunk in general, there were a few areas in which we were especially poor.
- Interior defense. It seemed as if on multiple occasions we would defend reasonably well for most of the shot clock, only to give up an easy layup off a drive and dish. Other times, the first attempt at penetration would result in a poor rotation, leaving someone wide open underneath for an easy two. There was obviously a rotation problem, but I am not sure what the cause of it was. Perhaps there were communication issues, or maybe the guards didn't sag to help the weak side because of a system error. Regardless, it was bad, and it led to several easy buckets for Ok St that were easily preventable.
- Transition defense. This was particularly a problem early on in the first half. On several occasions, after a turnover (see below) or a missed shot, we would be a bit lazy getting back on D, leading to several 2 on 1, 3 on 2, and even 3 on 1 breaks that were totally unnecessary. I felt like the effort getting back on D against a team that clearly loves to run was sorely lacking early in the game. On top of that, the defenders that were back repeatedly failed to stop the ball. In one instance, I think Alexis Jones was guarding #3, their short, speedy point guard, with no on else on either team back, and she totally over-committed to one side, leaving the other side wide open for a blow-by and an easy deuce. I think the Cowgirls got three or four buckets in a row early on in this fashion. As the game wore on, these errors became less and less frequent and eventually stopped, so I think Coach P made it an emphasis after the first five minutes or so.
- Ok St's shooting. This wasn't exactly controllable from our end, but it seemed like they were making everything that they chucked up. Crazy bank three aside, which was completely fluky, they were making highly contested shots all game, and from pretty far out too. One play in particular that I recall came later in the first half with the shot clock winding down. #3 drove into the lane but was cut off well by one of our gals (was it Tricia? Haley?), so she threw up a one-handed prayer floater from about 12 feet that got nothing but net. This wacky stuff seemed to last all game, though they were probably a little cooler in the second half.
- Our shooting. We just couldn't hit the ocean today, especially, for some reason, near the basket. I can't remember how many times EWill badly missed shots she normally makes. Late in the half, Tricia got an o-board and had a golden opportunity to get a layup and give us a smidge of momentum going into halftime; naturally, she declined to use the glass and saw her shot rim out. One possession in the second half, in the midst of our first big run, we had about four or five chances from in close after Tricia missed a wide open outside jumper, yet we didn't even come close to scoring, really. And it wasn't just our finishing inside; our outside shooting was pretty sub-par as well. We missed a ton of open threes and long twos (and free throws). This problem lasted most of the game, but it seemed to vanish, magically, once we took the lead near the end of the game. We may have missed one shot after that huge three (free throws included).
- Perhaps the most glaring problem of the first half - TURNOVERS!!!!!!! GAH! This frustrated me so much. We just couldn't hold onto the ball in the first half. I don't know what was wrong; did someone grease up their warm-up balls? I believe we started the game with three straight turnovers: a fudge-up on an Alexis drive, a bad pass, and a fumble in the lane. We were making bad, lazy passes into traffic throughout the half, especially after driving into the lane and trying to force it between three Cowgirls to a teammate on the other side of the lane. Additionally, we literally dropped the ball, in that on several occasions, one of our players would catch it, usually in the post, and just drop it between their legs (EWill was guilty of this multiple times). I mean, what was going ON? As mentioned before, this often led to Okie State run-outs, and these types of plays curtailed any semblance of flow we developed at any point during the half. I bet this was a major discussion point in the locker room at halftime.

Thoughts on the second half:
- This is the part of the game that made the game fun. OK St made a bucket to begin the half to make it 15, and we failed to score on the next possession, so I feared initially that the 2H was going to be more of the same, but after those initial possessions it was all Duke (well, mostly Duke).
- Defense. All aspects on this side of the ball were vastly improved in the second half. This time, we were the ones creating the turnovers and disrupting their flow. We attacked passing lanes, hounded their ball-handlers, and generally made it uncomfortable for them to be on offense. There were far fewer breakdowns on defensive rotations, the girls made an active effort to get back on D, and we had the defensive moxie to ensure their second half penetrations didn't turn into anything costly (wow, context is everything ;)). After we took the lead, we absolutely shut them down. This was a big part of our victory today.
- Turnovers. Ahhhh, it was refreshing to see back-to-back possessions where we didn't lay the ball on the ground for no reason, let alone multiple long stretches of several in a row. Our ability to hold onto the ball magically improved at halftime, as if someone told our ladies they should actively focus on holding the ball. Our truncated turnovers led to far fewer run-outs for the Cowgirls, disrupting their offensive flow and play style. In addition, we were able to focus on actually trying to make shots go down instead of worrying about fast breaks from fumbling away possession. This improvement was the other major component in our comeback.
- Shooting. Unlike our other two major problem areas in the first half, this did not improve much at all in the 2H (at least until very late in the game). Plus, Okie State didn't really cool off either (also at least until very late), so this game was essentially us surviving an off night for us and an on night for them. That we were able to come back despite displaying an atrocious skill at getting the ball in the basket speaks wonders about the quality, talent, and skill of our team. Should we actually shoot well, we are a very tough team to beat. Also, I have a bunch of respect for the Cowgirls, who came in here and competed their butts off. They may have run into a far superior team, but they didn't act or play like underdogs, and I thought they represented their school very well.

Thoughts on the crowd:
- Students. Sigh. I was in the student section, which means, for the second straight game, I made up approximately 15% of the student section. The blatant disregard for women's basketball (and all sports that aren't men's basketball, really) at this school is both a) understandable and b) disheartening (especially because it is understandable). I invited two of my friends to come along, and both of them turned down the offer. One said he had practice for his a capella group, Pitchforks, in preparation for an upcoming concert (a legit excuse), and the other said he had homework (NOT a legit excuse, that's what 3 AM is for!!). The few of us that were there, though, did our best to scream our heads off. My voice is just now recovering, really. Hopefully we made an audible contribution. For those of you wondering who I am, I was the tall blonde guy in the front row wearing a Quinn Cook/Alexis Jones jersey. :cool:
- Upstairs. I thought the Crusties showed up very well for this game. By far the largest noises during the game came from them during our second half runs. I felt those of you who were upstairs and thus primarily responsible for cheering our ladies on did an excellent job. The gals definitely fed off the energy of the crowd in the second half, and since the crowd was mostly upstairs, the Crusties were the guilty party in that regard. Mad props to you guys.
- Okie Staters. Considering the distance between the schools, I thought they had a pretty good following at a women's basketball game. They definitely were vocal when the Cowgirls were performing well, and they could be heard during some of those awkward mixed cheer/competing band situations inherent to NCAA tourney games. Respect.

Miscellaneous:
- About midway through the second half, I saw this ~12 year old girl in the Oklahoma State fan section staring us students down during one of our rowdy cheers (I'm talking a mean, nasty glare here). I decided to check on her whenever a call would go against OK St, and as I suspected, she would yell her face off even if the call was pretty obviously right. Considering I probably acted in very similar ways when I was younger towards Duke basketball, I can absolutely understand where she is coming from. She gets extra respect for feeling and acting this way at a women's b-ball game. Also, some of the faces she made were really, REALLY funny. :D
- When it was Okie State's turn to send out their cheer squad, they would always have their female dancers face away from us students and do quite a bit of hip-swinging. This led to some mighty fine views from the front row during timeouts. :cool:

This was an awesome victory on many levels. Congrats Lady Devils for showing strength in the face of adversity!

Let's trash those Cornhuskers!!

Go Duke!!!

TKG
03-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Graham Hays writes a nice piece on the Blue Hens' victory over Carolina. In addition to providing a little insight into Della Donne, Hays takes some time to introduce the world to the graciousness of Sylvia Hatchel.

nocilla
03-27-2013, 08:11 AM
I listened to the entire 2nd half on the radio. Great comeback! Sounded like the D got racheted up a lot and as you note I think I heard "Chloe Wells" about 30 times. Once they finally took the lead, the crowd noise finally resonated through on the radio and it felt to me sort of like the Kelly 3 in the 2011 UNC home game, that gave Duke the lead for the first time all game. I said to myself "Ball Game", and the proved me right.

Well done Duke Women!

Was the game on the local radio? I didn't see anything on goduke about a radio broadcast so I didn't even try to find it and had to watch a play-by-play on the computer. Will the future tournament games be on local radio?

CameronBornAndBred
03-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Was the game on the local radio? I didn't see anything on goduke about a radio broadcast so I didn't even try to find it and had to watch a play-by-play on the computer. Will the future tournament games be on local radio?
They will always have it on local radio (although I am too far away to get it). I don't think Goduke.com has the feed due to rights issues, which makes little sense, but it is the only thing I can figure out. I was in a mild panic the first game when I realized I wasn't going to be able to listen and couldn't find the game on ESPN2 like I expected. Luckily Directv opened a channel to show the whole game elsewhere.

nocilla
03-27-2013, 08:41 AM
They will always have it on local radio (although I am too far away to get it). I don't think Goduke.com has the feed due to rights issues, which makes little sense, but it is the only thing I can figure out. I was in a mild panic the first game when I realized I wasn't going to be able to listen and couldn't find the game on ESPN2 like I expected. Luckily Directv opened a channel to show the whole game elsewhere.

Well I didn't mean a feed from goduke, but for the men's games they list radio affiliates. I have tried to find a radio feed for regular season women's games in the past and wasn't able to. Is there a list of radio affiliates that normally carry the women's games?

* found this; Radio:..........................Blue Devil IMG - WDNC AM 620 (Steve Barnes, Morgan Patrick)
I guess I didn't look hard enough.

killerleft
03-27-2013, 09:00 AM

Not only was the game not wrapped up, but after all the time the refs spent reviewing the sequence, OK State did NOT get what should have been 3 seconds + put back on the clock. How did they mess up that bad?

Lid
03-27-2013, 09:42 AM
I was in the student section, which means, for the second straight game, I made up approximately 15% of the student section.

Good for you for being there! Although there weren't many students, you guys never sat or stopped cheering, which was awesome. It did get loud in the 2nd half -- although the WBB crowd may not be raucous during average games, I've definitely found that they know how to help fuel a comeback in grand style. It was one of those nights where it was just so much fun to be in Cameron, and was especially gratifying to be in the seats right next to the Ok. State fan section once the comeback started. (Side note: apparently their cheerleaders and dance team are WORLD champions. Not NCAA, WORLD. We were told this more than once. I found myself a tad obsessed with trying to catch one of them with anything short of a, "OMG! I am so surprised and delighted to be here right now, doing exactly what I'm doing!" smile. They're disciplined.)

Anyway, I agree with most of what's been said upthread. Frustrating, out of sync first half, and excellent comeback fueled by, as always, intense defense. After watching Ok State (in the person of #3) shred DePaul's transition defense on Sunday, I was actually pleasantly surprised from the get-go how much better we played in that area, although obviously that went up a notch later in the game. Ok State is good, fast, and disciplined. They lose one significant player, I believe, although she's quite signficant. If they can add some bodies, I think we'll be seeing more of them nationally. Good win for the Blue Devils.

TruBlu
03-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Congrats to the ladies!

And my apologies. I gave up at halftime and stopped keeping track of the score. I should know better.

Kedsy
03-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Not only was the game not wrapped up, but after all the time the refs spent reviewing the sequence, OK State did NOT get what should have been 3 seconds + put back on the clock. How did they mess up that bad?

Initially, there were two mistakes. The clock stopped for no reason when Elizabeth had the ball, then started again then ran too long after the foul. I actually thought the first mistake took more time -- I expected the time on the clock to go down once everything was counted up. As it turns out the second mistake took a few tenths longer, but the refs didn't really mess up.

willywoody
03-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Graham Hays writes a nice piece on the Blue Hens' victory over Carolina. In addition to providing a little insight into Della Donne, Hays takes some time to introduce the world to the graciousness of Sylvia Hatchel.

Seriously, y'all gotta go read her comments. She is a piece of work.

killerleft
03-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Initially, there were two mistakes. The clock stopped for no reason when Elizabeth had the ball, then started again then ran too long after the foul. I actually thought the first mistake took more time -- I expected the time on the clock to go down once everything was counted up. As it turns out the second mistake took a few tenths longer, but the refs didn't really mess up.

Oh, ok. I thought the foul was called earlier.

burnspbesq
03-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Seriously, y'all gotta go read her comments. She is a piece of work.

And as usual, IC is a hoot.

CameronBornAndBred
03-27-2013, 09:28 PM

It is a great writeup...and you are correct about Hays calling out Hatchell. I'd love to read more of her comments.

Hatchell was perfunctorily gracious, to put it politely, in defeat. She loaded her congratulations to Delaware by wishing them luck "when they get on a neutral court" and said it was foul trouble, not the opposition and not the crowd, that proved the difference in the game. She left little doubt as to her opinion of the legitimacy of those fouls, never mind that it was the Tar Heels who gave the officials little choice but to start using their whistles or risk losing control of a game that was physical from the opening tip. Foul trouble did hurt North Carolina. Home-court advantage, an ungainly thing in the postseason, did help the Blue Hens.
But the difference in the game was the players.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/tournament/2013/story/_/id/9102321/women-ncaa-tournament-2013-delaware-blue-hens-head-first-sweet-16 (Some really good stuff on Delle Donne too.)

Newton_14
03-27-2013, 09:51 PM

Yep. It was on 620 AM. Pretty sure they will carry all of the tourney games the remainder of the way, as they do carry all of the regular season and ACC Tourney games for the ladies.