PDA

View Full Version : MP3

AsiaMinor
03-26-2013, 10:03 AM
I would like to know why you think MP3 sees so little play time. I thought I'd see him in the last game with the bigs in foul trouble. You all know more than I, so what am I missing?

freshmanjs
03-26-2013, 10:10 AM
I would like to know why you think MP3 sees so little play time. I thought I'd see him in the last game with the bigs in foul trouble. You all know more than I, so what am I missing?

he was hurt. he's not ready to contribute at a high level. need to be patient.

davekay1971
03-26-2013, 10:14 AM
I think we'd all love to see MP3 get more playing time. The way K gives playing time, especially later in the season, is based entirely on whether or not a player is the best option at that position, at that time, in that game. For MP3 to get on the court, he's got to be a better option than the other guy, at least in K's perception. Which means, in the last game, with Mase and Ryan in terrible foul trouble, K through that Josh and Amile were doing well enough, and his two seniors were going to be able to avoid the fifth foul long enough, that, whatever he thought Marshall was able to bring to the table wasn't good enough to warrant putting him in over any of those other guys, even for a short stretch.

That is a little bit anxiety-provoking for next season, because I was hopeful Marshall would show some development as a reliable sub for Mason this season and give me that peace of mind that he would be ready and able for solid minutes at the 5 next season. And he may very well be. A lot of development can happen in the off season, and I suspect Marshall will be busting his butt on strength, footwork, rebounding, defense, etc, to earn good minutes next year.

MCFinARL
03-26-2013, 10:42 AM
I think we'd all love to see MP3 get more playing time. The way K gives playing time, especially later in the season, is based entirely on whether or not a player is the best option at that position, at that time, in that game. For MP3 to get on the court, he's got to be a better option than the other guy, at least in K's perception. Which means, in the last game, with Mase and Ryan in terrible foul trouble, K through that Josh and Amile were doing well enough, and his two seniors were going to be able to avoid the fifth foul long enough, that, whatever he thought Marshall was able to bring to the table wasn't good enough to warrant putting him in over any of those other guys, even for a short stretch.

That is a little bit anxiety-provoking for next season, because I was hopeful Marshall would show some development as a reliable sub for Mason this season and give me that peace of mind that he would be ready and able for solid minutes at the 5 next season. And he may very well be. A lot of development can happen in the off season, and I suspect Marshall will be busting his butt on strength, footwork, rebounding, defense, etc, to earn good minutes next year.

Yeah, not to highjack the thread with a discussion of next year, but Marshall could be an important piece because he is so much taller than anyone else who will be available. Against some teams those extra inches could make a big difference. I agree Marshall is likely to put in a lot of effort to improve over the off season, because he seems like an energetic, enthusiastic guy with a good attitude; hopefully it will pay off and bring him at least back to the pre-injury level where Coach K was praising his development pretty highly.

CDu
03-26-2013, 10:43 AM

1. Because he's not ready to contribute at the ACC or NCAA level yet.
2. Because we have a 1st-team All-ACC senior in front of him, so even if he was ready he'd see limited minutes.

Coach K sees these guys in practice and we don't. Based on what little I've seen of Marshall's in-game play, I suspect that Coach K is seeing that Marshall isn't quite up to the level of our other options.

Hopefully with an additional offseason of work that will change by next season, when he'll be a junior in terms of physical maturity.

brevity
03-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Up through this season, we really only needed him for spare parts in case Miles or Mason shut down.

AsiaMinor
03-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the answers. Always so polite :)

ricks68
03-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the answers. Always so polite :)

You converse so well for such a pretty young cutie.:)

ricks