PDA

View Full Version : Future NBA stars left in this year's NCAA tourney

dukelifer
03-25-2013, 10:02 PM
The NCAA tourney is often a showcase for the future NBA stars. I was trying to think- who are the must see players this year? Last year- there were the kids from Kentucky, the year before there was Kyrie and Derrick Williams, the year before that -the Kentucky kids, Kyle and Gordon Hayward and Perry Jones and some others. This year, I am not sure. There is Zeller and Oladipo- but to be honest- I don't see NBA star in either. The Kansas kid, McLemore is number 1 on some draft boards- but he was 0-9 against UNC and only had 11 against Western Kentucky- certainly not taking advantage of the big stage. Rasheed certainly turned a few heads with the last game - but not sure he is physically ready for the NBA. Is there a player still left who is a future NBA star and having a great tourney to date?

basket1544
03-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Seth Curry, for one.

dukelifer
03-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Seth Curry, for one.

Most mock drafts put him in the second round. Hopefully he will average 40 in his next 4 games.

weezie
03-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Haven't seen a whole lot of the Iranian center guy from oregon but he's maybe got some potential?

jipops
03-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Should the title actually be future nba "players" and not stars. I don't think anyone would call Derrick Williams a star. A good player yes, but not a star.

I think Withey has a good chance to greatly boost his stock. Defensively he is very effective and very mobile as a 7 footer. His shot is pretty good around 12ft too.

TexHawk
03-25-2013, 10:59 PM
The NCAA tourney is often a showcase for the future NBA stars. I was trying to think- who are the must see players this year? Last year- there were the kids from Kentucky, the year before there was Kyrie and Derrick Williams, the year before that -the Kentucky kids, Kyle and Gordon Hayward and Perry Jones and some others. This year, I am not sure. There is Zeller and Oladipo- but to be honest- I don't see NBA star in either. The Kansas kid, McLemore is number 1 on some draft boards- but he was 0-9 against UNC and only had 11 against Western Kentucky- certainly not taking advantage of the big stage. Rasheed certainly turned a few heads with the last game - but not sure he is physically ready for the NBA. Is there a player still left who is a future NBA star and having a great tourney to date?

Perry Jones is a star? He of 6 mpg and 2.1 points?

Not really sure what the question is... Are you asking for future NBA stars who are still playing in the tournament? Or only future NBA stars who are having a good tournament? McLemore, Oladipo, and Burke are solid bets for future stardom, imo. But their tournament performances haven't been great, by any means. Not totally sure it should matter, 2 games is a pretty small sample size.

McLemore, Zeller, Oladipo, Burke, Robinson III, Michael Carter Williams, and Jeff Withey are the projected 2013 1st round picks still playing. (CJ Fair and Branden Dawson are projected first rounders in 2014.)

dukelifer
03-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Perry Jones is a star? He of 6 mpg and 2.1 points?

Not really sure what the question is... Are you asking for future NBA stars who are still playing in the tournament? Or only future NBA stars who are having a good tournament? McLemore, Oladipo, and Burke are solid bets for future stardom, imo. But their tournament performances haven't been great, by any means. Not totally sure it should matter, 2 games is a pretty small sample size.

McLemore, Zeller, Oladipo, Burke, Robinson III, Michael Carter Williams, and Jeff Withey are the projected 2013 1st round picks still playing. (CJ Fair and Branden Dawson are projected first rounders in 2014.)

Point well taken- but during the 2010 tourney there was excitement about him and others. I am not sure who will be a star- but is there a kid now that folks project will be a star. At the end of the NCAA tourney in 2011, Williams was projected to be a star. Of the kids you list - are there any that are a must watch? Larkin and Kadji may boost their stock going forward.

SupaDave
03-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Rostov from Western Kentucky.
Sherwood Brown. FGCU
Jeff Withey. Kansas. (Relaford too)
Louisville's backcourt.
Kevin Pangos

subzero02
03-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Amile Jefferson??? I know, wishfuk thinking

UrinalCake
03-25-2013, 11:39 PM
I hope I am wrong but I don't see Seth sticking in the NBA unfortunately. He is way undersized to be a shooting guard and doesn't have the skills or quickness to be a point. Again, I really hope he proves me wrong. Nobody has mentioned Mason yet, perhaps because we all take him for granted, but I see him staying in the league for a while. He might not ever be a star but he's got the athleticism and work ethic to be a very solid player.

I also think that Larkin will get drafted in the first round, maybe even lottery. I don't buy for a second his proclamation that he's coming back.

BigZ
03-25-2013, 11:41 PM
You left Mason out of the first round list.

brevity
03-26-2013, 12:06 AM
E.J. Singler gets buckets, or at least relates to getting them.

toooskies
03-26-2013, 03:07 AM
I hope I am wrong but I don't see Seth sticking in the NBA unfortunately. He is way undersized to be a shooting guard and doesn't have the skills or quickness to be a point. Again, I really hope he proves me wrong.

While Seth's biggest question is his defense, they said the same about his brother. He'll stick, if only as a bench guy.

Edouble
03-26-2013, 03:11 AM
While Seth's biggest question is his defense, they said the same about his brother. He'll stick, if only as a bench guy.

Wow. I would be very surprised to see him on an NBA roster. He and his brother share the same parents, but the comparisons stop there. No shame in playing overseas. Also, he's nursing some sort of mysterious chronic injury. Doesn't help out your ability to succeed in an 82 game season.

theAlaskanBear
03-26-2013, 07:59 AM

His brother is also a much quicker guard with better ball-handling. If Seth makes it to the NBA he is going to really struggle to get his shot off. He would be purely a shooter off the bench who needs someone else to create for him. He would also struggle to guard anyone in the NBA due to his height/quickness...so honestly I think his value is limited. Love the kid and will root for him, but we need to have realistic expectations. Someone will take a flyer on Curry in the late second round because of his genes because of his dad/brother.

El_Diablo
03-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Gorgui Dieng, Adreian Payne, and DeShaun Thomas are also potential first-round picks.

Cameron
03-26-2013, 09:39 AM
On a related topic, is there any cause for concern that Rasheed might jump early in wake of a very weakened draft? I don't look at raising the question as rumor-mongering -- inducing public panic, perhaps -- but I think that Rasheed has boundless potential and will without a doubt be in position to play for a lottery selection in 2014.

I just want somebody to silence the voices in my head.

Cameron
03-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Gorgui Dieng, Adreian Payne, and DeShaun Thomas are also potential first-round picks.

Thomas is almost assured of a Top 20 selection, especially if the Buckeyes reach Atlanta and he continues to play to top form, and most Ohio State fans will tell you he is gone. Thank god. Screw that school.

Edit: I stand corrected. According to Draft Express's latest mock, Thomas is a projected second rounder. Must have read that wrong. My apologies to Mr. Diablo. From every OSU fan I have talked to, however, Thomas is gone no matter where he is projected. I hope so.

luburch
03-26-2013, 09:46 AM
ESPN actually just took each team in the tournament and previewed the top NBA prospects from each team. I would link it but it's an insider article. I'll list the Sweet 16 teams below

Indiana
Lottery: Oladipo, Zeller
Potential 2nd Rounder: Watford
Wait until next year: Yogi Ferrell, Hanner Perea

Miami
Potential 2nd rounder: Kadji, Scott, Johnson
Wait until next year: Larkin

Marquette
Potential 2nd rounder: Vander Blue, Davante Gardner

Syracuse
Lottery: Carter-Williams
Potential 2nd rounder: CJ Fair, James Southerland
Wait until next year: DaJuan Coleman, Rakeem Christmas, Baye Keita

Louisville
1st rounder: Gorgui Dieng
Potential 2nd rounder: Smith, Siva
Wait until next year: Wayne Blackshear, Chane Behanan, Montrezl Harrell

Oregon
Potential 2nd rounders: Kazemi, Woods
Wait until next year: Dominic Artis, Damyean Dotson

Michigan State
Lottery: Gary Harris
Potential 2nd rounder: Payne, Appling
Wait until next year: Branden Dawson

Duke
Lottery: Plumlee
Potential 2nd rounder: Kelly, Curry
Wait until next year: Sheed, Cook, Jefferson, MP3

Wichita State
Potential 2nd rounder: Carl Hall

La Salle
Wait until next year: Jerrell Wright

Arizona
Potential 2nd rounder: Solomon Hill
Wait until next year: Tarczewski, Ashley, Jerret, Johnson

Ohio State
Potential 2nd rounders: Thomas, Craft
Wait until next year: LaQuinton Ross

Kansas
Lottery: McLemore
1st round: Withey
Potential 2nd rounder: Elijah Johnson, Kevin Young
Wait until next year: Perry Ellis, Jamari Traylor

Michigan
Lottery: Burke
1st round: Robinson III
Potential 2nd rounder: Hardaway Jr
Wait until next year: McGary, Stauskas

Florida
1st round: Patrick Young
Potential 2nd rounder: Erik Murphy, Kenny Boynton Jr
Wait until next year: Scottie Wilbekin, Casey Prather

FGCU
None

Vincetaylor
03-26-2013, 12:03 PM

Good observation. It's why the quality of the teams in the tourney and of this year's draft is pretty low. Sure the quality of college basketball is impacted by the increased physicality of the game, but it's all about talent at the end of the day. Something which college basketball is incredibly lacking in this year.

davekay1971
03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
His brother is also a much quicker guard with better ball-handling. If Seth makes it to the NBA he is going to really struggle to get his shot off. He would be purely a shooter off the bench who needs someone else to create for him. He would also struggle to guard anyone in the NBA due to his height/quickness...so honestly I think his value is limited. Love the kid and will root for him, but we need to have realistic expectations. Someone will take a flyer on Curry in the late second round because of his genes because of his dad/brother.

I have no idea if Seth will succeed in the NBA (I define that by carving out a multi-year career in the NBA, whether as a starter or role-player), but the same deficiencies were cited in guys like Redick and Paxson. They were also cited in Trajan, so obviously sometimes those limits are real (Trajan, of course, made a very successful career for himself in European ball).

Whether Seth makes it in the NBA is probably more related to how his injury heals, if it recurs in a longer season, if he's able and willing to craft his game and work through his limits the way JJ has, and whether or not he lands in the right system that best utilizes his skills.

I think Duke features the following possible NBA players: Mason (a lock), Seth (as above), Ryan (also a guy who's got a chance but isn't a sure thing), Quinn, Rasheed, and Amile. Of all those guys, Rasheed is probably the one with the most raw physical ability, but I doubt he's a threat to leave after one season. I'd put those thoughts to rest unless we start to get some reliable information indicating otherwise. Amile has tremendous physical skills but obviously needs quite a bit of physical and game development. However, it's pretty easy to imagine Amile getting stronger, retaining his high motor and athleticism, and developing enough offensive game to become a good NBA player by the time he leaves Duke.

CDu
03-26-2013, 12:47 PM
I have no idea if Seth will succeed in the NBA (I define that by carving out a multi-year career in the NBA, whether as a starter or role-player), but the same deficiencies were cited in guys like Redick and Paxson. They were also cited in Trajan, so obviously sometimes those limits are real (Trajan, of course, made a very successful career for himself in European ball).

Whether Seth makes it in the NBA is probably more related to how his injury heals, if it recurs in a longer season, if he's able and willing to craft his game and work through his limits the way JJ has, and whether or not he lands in the right system that best utilizes his skills.

I'd also note that Curry is shorter than both Paxson and Redick (6'1"-ish vs 6'2" and 6'4"), and less athletic than Paxson (Paxson was a reasonably good athlete). So in addition to the athleticism questions, Curry has the added limitation of being VERY undersized for his position.

For Curry to make it, he's going to have to learn to play more PG and/or defend much quicker players. Because unless he falls in a perfect situation (with a tall PG), he's going to have real trouble cutting it at SG in the NBA.

ice-9
03-26-2013, 01:48 PM
I'd also note that Curry is shorter than both Paxson and Redick (6'1"-ish vs 6'2" and 6'4"), and less athletic than Paxson (Paxson was a reasonably good athlete). So in addition to the athleticism questions, Curry has the added limitation of being VERY undersized for his position.

For Curry to make it, he's going to have to learn to play more PG and/or defend much quicker players. Because unless he falls in a perfect situation (with a tall PG), he's going to have real trouble cutting it at SG in the NBA.

I love Curry. This team will go only as far as he can take them, and I think he's got the chops to take us to the championship.

But I too have a hard time seeing him in the NBA.

It isn't his talent (he's more than a shooter, he's a scorer), his height, or even his athleticism...it's his defense. If he has trouble against the better college guards, he's going to get torched against the likes of Paul and Irving, not to mention bigger SGs like Dwayne and Kobe. Even if he can make a shot, he'll be too much of a liability on the defensive end. I mean, even Nolan has trouble cracking an NBA rotation, and he's more athletic and just as good of a scorer as Seth is!

I hope I don't come across as too pessimistic...I love the guy -- he's bailed us out so many times this season -- and I'll be rooting for him, but the NBA is a long shot.

Jderf
03-26-2013, 02:23 PM
I hope I don't come across as too pessimistic...I love the guy -- he's bailed us out so many times this season -- and I'll be rooting for him, but the NBA is a long shot.

Good thing long shots are Seth's specialty. (Sorry, had to.)