PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Creighton (Mar 24, 2013)

JBDuke
03-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 66-50 win over Creighton in the Round of 32?

JBDuke
03-25-2013, 12:04 AM
My vote goes to Rasheed, who came up big when no one else seemed to be hitting their shots. Kudos also to Amile, who filled in admirably when our starters + Josh got into foul trouble.

sporthenry
03-25-2013, 12:04 AM
Couldn't go against Sheed but Amile deserves a shout out as well. Good on him to be ready to step up even with limited minutes at times.

bedeviled
03-25-2013, 12:05 AM
For the curious: I made the Tyler Thornton vote. I was very impressed with his team defense. When no guarding McDermott, he provided great help. When guarding McDermott, he shut him down like he did Reggie Bullock. AND, he, shockingly, had no fouls today.

Durham Thunder
03-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Amile, my Philadelphia brother.

Our starters were either barely average, or liabilities.

CLW
03-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Voted Sheed but Amile was BIG and Tyler's team defense was OUTSTANDING all night he was nearly perfect with his rotations and helping and getting back to the shooters.

fitimi1
03-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Voted Sheed but Amile was BIG and Tyler's team defense was OUTSTANDING all night he was nearly perfect with his rotations and helping and getting back to the shooters.

Could not agree with you more.

licc85
03-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Josh Hairston. If he didn't commit a foul per minute, Amile might never have gotten in to the game. Now, it looks like Amile could be ready to see some more action. He basically shutdown McDermott from the floor. I'd definitely give him another shot if we face another skilled big. Ryan did a decent job but couldn't defend him without fouling. Hairston tried . . . . and failed. Amile finished the job on D and held their star in check.

All that said, Sulaimon still gets the MOTM. He hit a ton of huge shots and grabbed a handful of tough rebounds too.

El_Diablo
03-25-2013, 12:10 AM

???

What about Rasheed?

Andre Buckner Fan
03-25-2013, 12:11 AM
My vote goes to Amile. Last year on these boards I said I wanted to recruit him more than Shabazz. This game shows why. I love this kid!

coldriver10
03-25-2013, 12:13 AM
I voted for Rasheed, but we absolutely do not win this game without Amile. He was huge! Great defensive effort by Tyler and Kelly as well.

Papa John
Had to give it to Sulaimon the Great for a solid all around game, though I was tempted to reward Amile for an outstanding performance in a high-pressure situation with Ryan, Mason, and Josh all saddled with 4 fouls. Gotta love that the kid steps right into that situation and not only holds his own, but frustrates the heck out of the second leading scorer in the country... Great defensive effort today, and very solid grind-it-out win... Bring on Sparty!

Son of Jarhead
I voted for Rasheed for his big scoring night and solid D, but Seth was big for a stretch there in the 2nd half, Amile (& his go-go-gadget arms) really came through when needed, and Tyler was awsome on D (especially on help situations)... & that key 3 to end the half. Great team win! GO DUKE!!!!

J4Kop99
03-25-2013, 12:14 AM
I have to give it to rasheed but Amile deserves a ton of credit. Curry also gave us a big spark midway through the 2nd.

Native
03-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Amile, for playing great D, doing the little things, and making the most of an opportunity. Shades of Dre against Baylor, IMO.

licc85
03-25-2013, 12:19 AM
Tyler deserves some credit here too. Lead the team in rebounding with 6, went 2/2 from the floor, both 3s, and had a couple of Tyler Thornton plays, hustling and getting us a few extra possessions. I thought he really set the tone with his toughness and physicality too, they didn't look right on offense all night, and Tyler was a big part of that.

bluedevil31
03-25-2013, 12:20 AM
This was a tough one for me. Voted for Sheed, he played great, but I was so impressed with Amile's play, he stepped up when we needed him. Just a great win.

jipops
03-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Sheed! With huge props to Amile as well as Kelly's defense.

McDermott did not have a fg in the 2nd half

magjayran
03-25-2013, 12:37 AM
Props to Tyler and Amile for great defense and hustle.

But it has to go to Sheed. I love that guy and I love it when he plays fearless.

NovaScotian
03-25-2013, 12:40 AM
For the curious: I made the Tyler Thornton vote. I was very impressed with his team defense. When no guarding McDermott, he provided great help. When guarding McDermott, he shut him down like he did Reggie Bullock. AND, he, shockingly, had no fouls today.

yea, that might be the most surprising stat of the game.

Kedsy
03-25-2013, 01:32 AM
Turning point in the game came with 3 minutes to go in the first half, when Ryan picked up his third foul and McDermitt was getting hot. Creighton was winning 21-20. Amile came in, stuck to McDermitt like Gorilla Glue, and McDermitt didn't hit another field goal the rest of the game. Ryan covered McDermitt well, especially while battling foul trouble the whole game, and Tyler played some really good D on McDermitt too, but my MOTM is Amile.

DukeGirl4ever
03-25-2013, 08:02 AM
I voted for Amile. His defense was HUGE when we had guys in foul trouble. He came up with some key boards, stops, and a bucket.

His defense on McDermott was key. While I was watching the game, he reminded me of Buddy from the movie Hoosiers trying to figure out what flavor gum McDermott was chomping on.

My 5 year old absolutely loves him. She thinks it's funny because "Amile looks like he needs to eat a meal." (She says this each and every Duke game.) She was beaming this morning when I told her Amile helped Duke secure the win last night.

It's great to see the role players contributing when needed.

rsvman
03-25-2013, 09:21 AM

You and I didn't watch the same game, apparently.

Let's look at the starters, shall we?

1) Seth Curry. Had a rough first half, but in the second half the man was one of the main keys to the victory. Shooting from long range, driving and pulling up for the midrange jumper, and putting on a clinic with the hesitation move leading to the layup or floater. Not average. Certainly not a liability.

2) Quinn Cook. Made some absolutely outstanding passes that led to easy buckets. Played solid defense, not allowing his man any open looks at the three. Handled the ball well. Maybe an average night for Quinn, but not for most school's point guards. Certainly not a liability.

3) Rasheed Sulaimon. Are you kidding me?

4) Ryan Kelly. Ryan had another tough shooting night, and got into foul trouble early. However, he played excellent man defense, did well on the boards, providing us with a few offensive rebounds, and played very good team defense, too. Below average shooting night, but otherwise not average. Certainly not a liability.

5) Mason Plumlee. Mason had foul trouble, yes. But aside from that, I thought Mason played much better than he has been playing in the past month or so. His rebounding was excellent. His defense was good. He had some nice post moves and a beautiful left-handed baseline hook. He disrupted the Creighton offense quite a bit and, overall, was very active both on offense and defense. Not average, and certainly not a liability.

Make no mistake about it. This was a TEAM win. Yes, there were times when it seemed that Sulaimon was carrying the team. But everybody did what had to be done to bring the victory home.