PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tourney Commercials

Gmadaduke
03-22-2013, 05:26 PM
I believe at this point I have watched enough basketball over the last two days to publish a credible list of my Top Five Least Favorite Commercials (which seem to be on loop during these games, regardless of channel). Here goes:

5. The All-State Mayhem missed dunk advertisement.
4. Buffalo Wild Wings (Fast Break - "How can you tell") (they should've just stuck with the tourney expansion one, which is actually funny)
3. The Subway Italy Sandwich - Either one in the Boat or on the Bike - both terrible, take your pick (haven't tried the sandwich though).
2. The AT&T circle with the kids making a joke about a "Pickle Roll"
1. The Instrumental Northwestern Mutual ad that never ends...

Thoughts?

TNDukeFan
03-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Is that Mitsubishi heating/cooling unit ad with the screechy woman...fencing with herself?

OTOH, the Subaru spot with the dog has teared me up approximately 87 times since yesterday morning.

oldnavy
03-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Anything with Charles Barkley... dude cracks me up!

Ben1029
03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
I am a fan of the Nothing Beats an Astronaut commercial by Axe.

Ggallagher
03-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Anything with Charles Barkley... dude cracks me up!
I'm with you Alec Baldwin and Sir Charles with his bun warmer is classic.

Tripping William
03-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Favorite: Knight/Digger for Applebee's

Least favorite: The Hanes kitten commercial.

Barkley > MJ (by a few thousand miles)

Native
03-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Nicky Flash. Can we go ahead and offer him a scholly?

I like the Axe one with the astronaut interrupting the Valpo buzzer-beater. I'm also a fan of the CokeZero ads, specifically those involving Sharon's Reign of Terror. I'm sad to report that she'll probably beat me this year.

Thanks for nothing, Sharon.

oldnavy
03-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Barkley and Smith arguing about the flagerant 1 call, Barkley told Smith that they don't have to agree, then added "I wouldn't have worn that shirt with that suit"... guy is a nut!

throatybeard
03-22-2013, 11:28 PM
This Duluth Trading buck naked underwear scourge has got to end.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-22-2013, 11:45 PM
I believe at this point I have watched enough basketball over the last two days to publish a credible list of my Top Five Least Favorite Commercials (which seem to be on loop during these games, regardless of channel). Here goes:

4. Buffalo Wild Wings (Fast Break - "How can you tell") (they should've just stuck with the tourney expansion one, which is actually funny)
3. The Subway Italy Sandwich - Either one in the Boat or on the Bike - both terrible, take your pick (haven't tried the sandwich though).

Thoughts?

What makes the Subway Italian commercials so bad is they are from LAST year! Are you that cheap Subway? I would think after paying 28 bucks for the average family to eat at Subway they'd have enough extra change to make some new ads.

And did you know that if you play the Northwestern Mutual ad and "Dark Side of the Moon" together, they both end at exactly the same time!

throatybeard
03-23-2013, 12:27 AM
I would think after paying 28 bucks for the average family to eat at Subway they'd have enough extra change to make some new ads.

Dude, what are you ordering at Subway? Footlongs for all, chips, cookies, and big gulps? Have they put single malt on the menu when I wasn't looking? Do you have five offspring?

throatybeard
03-23-2013, 02:56 AM
This Bud Light "Internet Date" commercial is torture.

Also, how is "Here we go" a slogan? Especially for a woman with no hair and a douchey male date from the internet on a first date with Bud Lights. And all their friends looking on with Bud Lights. How are we going anywhere from that? Neither Bud Light nor "Here we go," nor your friends being some sort of safety net sounds like a springboard towards a good relationship.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Dude, what are you ordering at Subway? Footlongs for all, chips, cookies, and big gulps? Have they put single malt on the menu when I wasn't looking? Do you have five offspring?

Well, Mayor Bloomberg...

I eat 1 footlong combo = $8
My wife eats a half sub combo = $5
Teenage son eats footlong combo = $8
Daughter gets a half sub combo = $5

If I do my math correctly that's $26 before tax.

Sad but true...

JNort
03-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Well, Mayor Bloomberg...

I eat 1 footlong combo = $8
My wife eats a half sub combo = $5
Teenage son eats footlong combo = $8
Daughter gets a half sub combo = $5

If I do my math correctly that's $26 before tax.

Sad but true...

I get the footlong subway melt double meat and double cheese and it is $11 with no drink and no chips

dukestheheat
03-23-2013, 08:35 AM
.........the fact that many of us on this thread can mention the product name along with the company and even more details than those basics, in some cases, makes those ads successful!

That's what the company wants: time with us. That time may lead to more sales of their products, which makes everybody smile bigger, from the president of the company on down. Money floats the boat.

What is dreaded is the huge expenditure of company resources on ads that do not work, that no one can remember. That is a bad thing.

My $.02.

Dth.

mbd1mbd1
03-23-2013, 09:48 AM

This. As if wannabe-hipster yuppies would drink bud light in the first place.

wilko
03-23-2013, 09:51 AM
This. As if wannabe-hipster yuppies would drink bud light in the first place.

Oh thats a bud? I can block that stuff out...
However the girl gets a bit cuter with every play...

Rickshaw
03-23-2013, 10:36 AM
I don't remember any commercials like that.

rifraf
03-23-2013, 10:42 AM
I think we can all be happy they aren't playing na-na-na-napa know how! every 5 minutes.

Tripping William
03-23-2013, 10:45 AM
I think we can all be happy they aren't playing na-na-na-napa know how! every 5 minutes.

They gave us Jiffy Lube instead. Only a slight improvement.

luman50
03-23-2013, 10:49 AM
My favorites are the Coke Zero "It's not your fault that you're working on brackets instead of working on work"....So True...

4Gen
03-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Less is more. More is less. We want more. We want more.

"I follow you."

DukeHoo
03-23-2013, 12:08 PM
The Coke Zero ads are definitely my favorite. Anything with H. Jon Benjamin (aka Sterling Archer) is more amusing than whatever Bud makes, by default.

BD80
03-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Less is more. More is less. We want more. We want more.

"I follow you."

I cannot bear the ATT commercials

Frobisher
03-23-2013, 12:25 PM
How did this get to the second page without anyone commenting on how many more timeouts (or maybe they are longer) and commercials there have been this weekend. Seriously, three times I switched to all four game channels, and each was on commercial. These networks are raking in the ad dollars. This tournament, and the mythology behind the bracket, is becoming a monster that moves further and further away from being about the actual play in the games but is more of an "event" that every American is to participate in. The fact that we have a commercials thread on this board is a testament to that.

Reilly
03-23-2013, 12:35 PM

Amen. After being tortured by those in the past, I vowed I would never buy anything from them.

Reilly
03-23-2013, 12:38 PM

Also, how is "Here we go" a slogan? Especially for a woman with no hair and a douchey male date from the internet on a first date with Bud Lights. And all their friends looking on with Bud Lights. How are we going anywhere from that? Neither Bud Light nor "Here we go," nor your friends being some sort of safety net sounds like a springboard towards a good relationship.

"Here's to you having a throaty beard .... "

rsvman
03-23-2013, 12:58 PM
How did this get to the second page without anyone commenting on how many more timeouts (or maybe they are longer) and commercials there have been this weekend. Seriously, three times I switched to all four game channels, and each was on commercial. These networks are raking in the ad dollars. This tournament, and the mythology behind the bracket, is becoming a monster that moves further and further away from being about the actual play in the games but is more of an "event" that every American is to participate in. The fact that we have a commercials thread on this board is a testament to that.

This.

It almost seems like the ratios have been inverted; that the games are now a break from the commercials rather than the other way around. The game flow is severely interrupted.

I guess it's an advantage for teams like Duke, whose games are often televised. Teams from small markets that are seldom if ever on TV probably aren't used to stopping and starting so much. Might be harder for them to get into the game.

dairedevil
03-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Isuzu Amigo commercial - it's been at least 20 years, and I still hear that jingle every time tournament season comes around.

Gmadaduke
03-23-2013, 01:12 PM
The Liberty Mutual ad where the guy pulls down the basketball hoop in his driveway is also up there as far as bad commercials go. The soundtrack is like something out of a dentist's office or a bad 80s flick (I'm not talking about the nostalgic kind either!). What would Don Draper say about all of this?!

BD80
03-23-2013, 01:17 PM
The Liberty Mutual ad where the guy pulls down the basketball hoop in his driveway is also up there as far as bad commercials go. ...

That scene always gives me a chuckle. It is the sort of thing I can see happening to me ...

uh_no
03-23-2013, 01:39 PM
This.

It almost seems like the ratios have been inverted; that the games are now a break from the commercials rather than the other way around. The game flow is severely interrupted.

I guess it's an advantage for teams like Duke, whose games are often televised. Teams from small markets that are seldom if ever on TV probably aren't used to stopping and starting so much. Might be harder for them to get into the game.

to be fair, a good number of them seem to have had no trouble dispatching their big-market opponents

Tripping William
03-23-2013, 01:51 PM
I wonder if Julian Hodge got sucker-punched in the nads by Cliff Paul.

-jk
03-23-2013, 02:15 PM
This.

Tourney media timeouts last 2 1/2 or 3 minutes rather than the usual 2. The first called timeout in the first half also becomes a full media length (at 2 1/2 or 3 minutes), where that's usually only the first called in the second half. There's a lot more commercial time, something like 10 extra minutes, during the game. And halftime is 20 minutes rather than 15.

That said, most conferences play with the usual media rules during the season, televised or not, and are used to the stop and go. A short rotation team gets more rest during the game, too.

-jk

Frobisher
03-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Tourney media timeouts last 2 1/2 or 3 minutes rather than the usual 2. The first called timeout in the first half also becomes a full media length (at 2 1/2 or 3 minutes), where that's usually only the first called in the second half. There's a lot more commercial time, something like 10 extra minutes, during the game. And halftime is 20 minutes rather than 15.

That said, most conferences play with the usual media rules during the season, televised or not, and are used to the stop and go. A short rotation team gets more rest during the game, too.

-jk

Glad there's actually something to this; I was wondering if I was just getting cranky and anti-commericalist in my ripe medium age.

jay
03-23-2013, 03:02 PM
I am a fan of the Nothing Beats an Astronaut commercial by Axe.

Really? That's my least favorite. Way to take one of the all-time classic NCAA tournament moments and completely bastardize it.

I'm a huge fan of the Charles Barkley/Alec Baldwin commercials. Charles is usually good at cracking jokes at himself, but those commercials are especially self-depricating, which always makes for good comedy.

TNDukeFan
03-23-2013, 04:44 PM
the Wheat Thins commercial with the yeti.

throatybeard
03-23-2013, 09:37 PM

YES. I am so sick of the dbag in the suit asking the third graders asinine questions that insult the intelligence of a third grader. And shut up about pickles.

InSpades
03-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Oh thats a bud? I can block that stuff out...
However the girl gets a bit cuter with every play...

My issue with the commercial is the girl is way too cute for the guy...

Wander
03-24-2013, 12:19 AM
YES. I am so sick of the dbag in the suit asking the third graders asinine questions that insult the intelligence of a third grader. And shut up about pickles.

You people are all insane! The "I can waaaaave my head and waaaaaaave my fingers" kid doing two things at once AT&T commercial is the most I've laughed at a commercial in a long time.

throatybeard
03-24-2013, 12:36 AM

She would be cute if she hadn't cut all her hair off. Possibly gorgeous. As it is, she looks like a lawnmower hit her scalp.

I would think though that the other person would see Bud Light as a red flag on a first date. If you're impecunious, that's understandable, a lot of us are, but there are much better values for the money than Bud Light, so this calls the person's judgment into question.

And if you're not impecunious, why would you drink Bud Light anywhere but a baseball game, because you can afford real alcohol.

Dukeface88
03-24-2013, 03:26 AM
You people are all insane! The "I can waaaaave my head and waaaaaaave my fingers" kid doing two things at once AT&T commercial is the most I've laughed at a commercial in a long time.

Those commercials are pretty funny, but I need to know if those commercials are scripted before I decide whether I actually like them or not. If they're scripted, then they're the worst; if they aren't, they're the best.

And Bud Light Girl's hair is fine, even if her commercial is stupid. Ya'll be hatin.

davekay1971
03-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Which is why I could never watch King of Queens...

My wife and I were watching the Gonzaga game last night when that commercial came on and at the end I turned to her and said "Here we go." To which she replied, "If you had said that to me on our first date, there would not have been a second."

captmojo
03-24-2013, 08:56 AM
If you want to discuss appearances of women in these things, The Wheat Thins commercial has what appears to be a man with breasts in his nighties standing in the background of 'Mr. Night Goggles' that I suppose is taking the character of...
his wife? (Yikes!)
It's a little frightening. No. It's a lot frightening.
And, if Dude really needs to find a legendary monster, turn around you fool!

killerleft
03-24-2013, 08:59 AM
I wonder if Julian Hodge got sucker-punched in the nads by Cliff Paul.

Nope. In the next world, Julian Hodge does the sucker punching. He becomes incensed when he catches Cliff Paul tasting his left front tire.

moonpie23
03-24-2013, 09:01 AM
She would be cute if she hadn't cut all her hair off.

ix-nay.....she's cute......women with short hair are cute ...

mkline09
03-24-2013, 09:21 AM
As long as I don't have to see the NAPA Know How commercial I'm good.

Mabdul Doobakus
03-24-2013, 09:45 AM
I like the AT&T commercials, and I'm almost sure they're scripted. It's hard to go wrong with kids being cute.

The Bud Light commercial doesn't bother me too much. I don't think it's nearly as cute as it seems to think it is, but it's not overly offensive. The tag "Here We Go" is pretty obnoxious, but this is the same company that has been majorly successful with campaigns like "What's Up?" and "Yes I am" so maybe they were going for simplicity yet again.

Also, Bud Light commercials sort of have to exist outside the real world, for marketing purposes. Some of you are criticizing the realism that two young hipsters would share a Bud Light on a first date, and I completely agree with you. But I don't think a "We're Boring and Generic" campaign would be very successful for Budweiser.

pfrduke
03-24-2013, 09:55 AM
I like the AT&T commercials, and I'm almost sure they're scripted. It's hard to go wrong with kids being cute.

There's no way that they scripted the less/more girl. I don't think an 8-year-old (or however old she is) could get that kind of flustered delivery and mixing of words down. Heck, I'm not sure someone could even write it - it's perfectly off-the-cuff child behavior. If she did, she's going to be the best actress of her generation.

El_Diablo
03-24-2013, 10:36 AM
I realize it does not help settle things with respect to any particular line, but according to a senior AT&T representative, the kid commercials are all pre-scripted. But the kids also depart from the script, and the new lines sometimes make it in to the final cut.

To me, the "tiny TV" kid sounded terribly scripted. So that one was just annoying. I am guessing the "more/less" girl had a line but just delivered it incorrectly--she rambled and sounded pretty flustered--but that one was better than most of the others in the series.

pfrduke
03-24-2013, 10:39 AM
I realize it does not help settle things with respect to any particular line, but according to a senior AT&T representative, the kid commercials are all pre-scripted. But the kids also depart from the script, and the new lines sometimes make it in to the final cut.

To me, the "tiny TV" kid sounded terribly scripted. So that one was just annoying. I am guessing the "more/less" girl had a line but just delivered it incorrectly--she rambled and sounded pretty flustered--but that one was better than most of the others in the series.

That I believe. Thanks.

Mabdul Doobakus
03-24-2013, 10:46 AM
There's no way that they scripted the less/more girl. I don't think an 8-year-old (or however old she is) could get that kind of flustered delivery and mixing of words down. Heck, I'm not sure someone could even write it - it's perfectly off-the-cuff child behavior. If she did, she's going to be the best actress of her generation.

Yeah, I'm willing to believe that some are not entirely scripted. The candy island one, in particular, strikes me as scripted.

I'd be interested to know which ones are scripted, but regarding my actual enjoyment of the commercial, I don't really care either way. Generally speaking, TV commercials are scripted, and I'm okay with that. Not looking for a lot of improvisation and spontaneity in this medium.

brevity
03-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Which is why I could never watch King of Queens...

Reality check: when people complain about schlubby husbands and fictional hot wives, Kevin James is a terrible example. Here's who he's married to in real life:

As for bad commercials, you can't all be whippersnappers. Surely a few of you remember the abomination that was "Like a Rock." An entire generation of sports fans can't listen to Bob Seger to this day. It was the first commercial to run after every timeout. EVERY TIMEOUT. Take "Napa Know-How" and run it every 30 seconds, and you get the idea. Now get off my lawn!

davekay1971
03-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Reality check: when people complain about schlubby husbands and fictional hot wives, Kevin James is a terrible example. Here's who he's married to in real life:

As for bad commercials, you can't all be whippersnappers. Surely a few of you remember the abomination that was "Like a Rock." An entire generation of sports fans can't listen to Bob Seger to this day. It was the first commercial to run after every timeout. EVERY TIMEOUT. Take "Napa Know-How" and run it every 30 seconds, and you get the idea. Now get off my lawn!

Yes, but in real life Kevin James is a rich celebrity, while in the TV show he's, what, a mailman? No offense to mailmen, but chubby rich celebs tend to be found dating and married to slightly hotter women that chubby mailmen.

Off topic as anything, but there is a statement to be made about television and our society that fictional schlubby husbands with fictional hot wives on TV are A LOT more common than fictional schlubby wives with fictional hot husbands...

My biggest disappointment commercial has to be Mayhem missing the dunk. Not because it's the worst commercial (that goes to "Here we go!"), but because I have high standards for Mayhem. This is the same commercial series that brought us "Hot girl jogging", "300 pound streaker", and your dog letting the burglars ransack your house. Kind of like watching Duke lay an egg against Maryland in the quarterfinals. When you're used to consistent excellence, the occasional dud grates a little harder.

throatybeard
03-24-2013, 02:10 PM

I want to see one where the kids all gang up on the insufferable twit in the suit and beat the mess out of him. I don't particularly care whether that's scripted or not

brevity
03-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Yes, but in real life Kevin James is a rich celebrity, while in the TV show he's, what, a mailman? No offense to mailmen, but chubby rich celebs tend to be found dating and married to slightly hotter women that chubby mailmen.

Nice try. But your original point was in response to how a man looks, not how much he earns. Kevin James married up, both on and off screen. (And he was a parcel carrier on the show, which means, you know, bigger package.)

Off topic as anything, but there is a statement to be made about television and our society that fictional schlubby husbands with fictional hot wives on TV are A LOT more common than fictional schlubby wives with fictional hot husbands...

I assume people are watching that HBO show "Girls" in the hopes that it'll end that way.

My biggest disappointment commercial has to be Mayhem missing the dunk. Not because it's the worst commercial (that goes to "Here we go!"), but because I have high standards for Mayhem. This is the same commercial series that brought us "Hot girl jogging", "300 pound streaker", and your dog letting the burglars ransack your house. Kind of like watching Duke lay an egg against Maryland in the quarterfinals. When you're used to consistent excellence, the occasional dud grates a little harder.

You left out teenage girl in the pink SUV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlfinjxFEYI). "OMG. Becky's not even hot."

Mabdul Doobakus
03-24-2013, 05:17 PM
I assume people are watching that HBO show "Girls" in the hopes that it'll end that way.

There may be some people in this category, but I have actually argued before that the fact that Lena Dunham is not conventionally beautiful is one of the primary drivers for the visceral hate some people seem to inexplicably have for this show.

She hooks up fairly frequently with relatively attractive men, and the general reaction seems to be "OH COME ON!!!!!!!!". People may accept the King of Queens situation as unrealistic, but it doesn't seem to really bother anyone. This is, of course, entirely anecdotal.

Also, realistically...not that many people are watching Girls. The ratings are less than spectacular, especially compared to the amount of press it gets. I happen to really like the show.

(Going way off topic here.)

brevity
03-24-2013, 05:26 PM
There may be some people in this category, but I have actually argued before that the fact that Lena Dunham is not conventionally beautiful is one of the primary drivers for the visceral hate some people seem to inexplicably have for this show.

She hooks up fairly frequently with relatively attractive men, and the general reaction seems to be "OH COME ON!!!!!!!!". People may accept the King of Queens situation as unrealistic, but it doesn't seem to really bother anyone. This is, of course, entirely anecdotal.

Also, realistically...not that many people are watching Girls. The ratings are less than spectacular, especially compared to the amount of press it gets. I happen to really like the show.

(Going way off topic here.)

Yeah, I think I steered this whole thread off topic half a page ago. Mods, blame CBS and its stupid weekend game schedule. We have all this free time now. What else can we do? It's either this or feed more scouting information to the Creighton guy.

I don't watch "Girls", but I have a strong negative reaction for two reasons:

1. A show about 20-somethings made by a 20-something may or may not represent a generation, but as a late 30-something, I know I feel old.
2. That ridiculous tattoo.

nathancjack
03-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Those commercials are pretty funny, but I need to know if those commercials are scripted before I decide whether I actually like them or not. If they're scripted, then they're the worst; if they aren't, they're the best.

And Bud Light Girl's hair is fine, even if her commercial is stupid. Ya'll be hatin.

Her hair is fine but his is a mess. Shouldn't he comb his hair for the big date? And why can't he go back to Cleveland?

hurleyfor3
03-24-2013, 08:56 PM
So is that Jay Bilas's real-life son in the Dove commercial?

throatybeard
03-25-2013, 12:47 AM
Her hair is fine

She doesn't have any! A flowbee ate it!

Also, if anyone boycotted King of Queens due to weak suspension of disbelief, you missed eight years of Leah Remini spilling gorgeous all over the place.

peterjswift
03-25-2013, 09:42 AM

Agreed. I think those AT&T commercials are, by far, my favorite. The one where he high-fives them is great.

I wonder how they film those. Are they scripted or do they just try to get the creative juices flowing and we're seeing the 30 seconds of gold out of the 8 hours of nonsense?

peterjswift
03-25-2013, 09:46 AM

Ignore my previous post. Apparently I missed an entire page of comments.

Danke Shane
03-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Two comments on the fast food front:

Sonic: These commercials are a rare breed that cause me to chuckle to myself no matter how many times I see them. Currently, the one where the guy says he'll give the warning cry if his friend's wife approaches the car... then gives the cry after the fact causes me to bust out laughing every time.

McDonald's: The commercial with the super-cool, ethnically and gender diverse L.A. street bike gang chilling over a round of chicken sandwiches also causes me to laugh every time I see it. But not in a good way.... in a "are they for real" way.

Billy Dat
03-25-2013, 03:01 PM
What would Don Draper say about all of this?!

I'll take a shot, maybe:

"The reason you haven't felt it is because it doesn't exist. What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one. "

or

"Well, technology is a glittering lure. But there's the rare occasion when the public can be engaged on a level beyond flash, if they have a sentimental bond with the product. My first job, I was in-house at a fur company, with this old pro copywriter. Greek, named Teddy. And Teddy told me the most important idea in advertising is "new". Creates an itch. You simply put your product in there as a kind of... calamine lotion. But he also talked about a deeper bond with the product: nostalgia. It's delicate... but potent. Teddy told me that in Greek, "nostalgia" literally means, "the pain from an old wound". It's a twinge in your heart, far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn't a spaceship. It's a time machine. It goes backwards, forwards. It takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It's not called the Wheel. It's called a Carousel. It lets us travel the way a child travels. Around and around, and back home again... to a place where we know we are loved."

or

"This never happened. It will shock you how much it never happened."

or, finally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Y6CIyyBcI

wilko
03-25-2013, 03:23 PM
My favorites are the Coke Zero "It's not your fault that you're working on brackets instead of working on work"....So True...

That is good!!
It got even better when I realized t was the VOICE of Archer speaking as Archer; to end "Sharons reign of terror"

hurleyfor3
03-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Is that Loren Bouchard, the Bob's Burgers guy?

oldnavy
03-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Nice try. But your original point was in response to how a man looks, not how much he earns. Kevin James married up, both on and off screen. (And he was a parcel carrier on the show, which means, you know, bigger package.)

You left out teenage girl in the pink SUV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlfinjxFEYI). "OMG. Becky's not even hot."

Hot chicks do marry pretty frumpy, non rich and famous dudes in real life. I married one close to 30 years ago.... She's hotter than ever and I get more frumpy by the minute, go figure?

crimsonandblue
03-25-2013, 05:20 PM

Sonic: These commercials are a rare breed that cause me to chuckle to myself no matter how many times I see them. Currently, the one where the guy says he'll give the warning cry if his friend's wife approaches the car... then gives the cry after the fact causes me to bust out laughing every time.

McDonald's: The commercial with the super-cool, ethnically and gender diverse L.A. street bike gang chilling over a round of chicken sandwiches also causes me to laugh every time I see it. But not in a good way.... in a "are they for real" way.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if already discussed, but isn't McDonald's 80's gear blonde dirt bike chick (the one with the short hair, but longer on the front right), the same woman as the waitress who likes drummers in the "tour bus" drink responsibly, beer commercial?

Faustus
03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
I was thinking that too, Crimson&Blue, because she's similarly not very attractive in both commercials - must have a great agent, though.

basket1544
03-25-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't know how this commercial has made it to page 4 being ignored. The commercial where the girl and guy talk about cable as though it is worse than the house being set on fire (or whatever their latest worst is) drives me crazy. Not only do they compare not watching tv to truly horrible things, but they do it so flippantly. Grr!

Faustus
03-26-2013, 12:09 AM
Well I, for one, cannot think of anything finer or more manly than having a grizzly bear paw over to me a wet flopping twenty pound salmon. Yaaaaaugh!!!! ;)

Andre Buckner Fan
03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
And why can't he go back to Cleveland?

Great question!!!

I assume because he refered to OSU without using the definite article, the. I believe that is punishable in all of Ohio by instant extradition. And of course, any negativity about the Buckeyes is a capital offense in all of Ohio. Charles Barkley is a wanted man in that state for stating the obvious on TV.

I like half of the AT&T kid circle ads. I hate the other half. It all depends.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-26-2013, 11:27 AM
I don't know how this commercial has made it to page 4 being ignored. The commercial where the girl and guy talk about cable as though it is worse than the house being set on fire (or whatever their latest worst is) drives me crazy. Not only do they compare not watching tv to truly horrible things, but they do it so flippantly. Grr!

Those Cable TV ads are more annoying than:
Tyler Hansbrough Dunking.

If they play them again it would be worse than:
Rick Pitino's Barber

Getting them to stop that ad forever would be more wonderful than:
Brian Zoubek versus Coach K in a limbo competition.

davekay1971
03-26-2013, 11:34 AM

I dunno, I think the bird making off the with tiny dog is kind of hysterical.

PS: My mother-in-law frequently watches a friend's dog, Bo, while her friend is out of town. It's some kind of itty bitty dog. Where my mother-in-law lives, there are a pretty good number of predatory birds, and the poor little dog did once have a bird swoop on it when he was out in the back yard. The dog was unharmed and the bird was shooed off. At the time it was pretty traumatic for my mother-in-law and for Bo. Now, telling the story, it's pretty funny.

PPS: Related to CDu's post, I always laugh now when I see one of those wierd inflatable advertisement people. I had a thought as to whether or not that part of the ad might be a little too suggestive of a sexual molestation and therefore offensive. Not sure if anyone here, or their significant others, have thought so. I asked my wife and she thought it was just funny, but I could see where some women might find it to not be in good taste, given what women have to put up with in terms of harrassment on a regular basis.

CDu
03-26-2013, 11:34 AM
I have enjoyed the following commercials:
- the AT&T ads with the kids
- the Capital One commercials with Alec Baldwin and Charles Barkley
- the DirecTV commercial where the inflatable advertisement molests the woman on the street

And I've thoroughly enjoyed not hearing the NAPA-know-how song this year.

MCFinARL
03-26-2013, 11:47 AM

For me, the two things at once commercial is painfully annoying. On the other hand, I really like the little girl who goes on and on about being a werewolf.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

wgl1228
03-26-2013, 01:49 PM

I agree. The Sonic commercial is outstanding and hilarious!

CDu
03-26-2013, 02:16 PM
For me, the two things at once commercial is painfully annoying. On the other hand, I really like the little girl who goes on and on about being a werewolf.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Yeah, I didn't care for the "two things at once" commercial, though the adult in that one almost saved it for me. His delivery in the "we want more" commercial and the "island made of candy" commercial was terrific. And the "high five" commercial, the "nicky flash" commercial, and the "werewolf" commercial were terrific.

Ditto the love for the Sonic commercial. Sometimes those guys miss, but the "raptor noise" is hilarious.

Jderf
03-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Ditto the love for the Sonic commercial. Sometimes those guys miss, but the "raptor noise" is hilarious.

Yeah, I actually find those guys to be insufferable and obnoxious, and I still couldn't help but laugh at the "raptor noise." They just got the timing right on that one.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-26-2013, 02:23 PM

I think they're just hoping for an awkward hookup and some unreturned texts. Here we go...

Bluedog
03-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Agreed. I think those AT&T commercials are, by far, my favorite. The one where he high-fives them is great.

I wonder how they film those. Are they scripted or do they just try to get the creative juices flowing and we're seeing the 30 seconds of gold out of the 8 hours of nonsense?

They're mostly improvised apparently as scripts often don't work too well with kids and they would seem more unnatural. I went to high school with the actor in it...after picking up small bit parts, having a YouTube comedy troupe, and waiting tables, he has hit it BIG TIME with these ads. I'm sure they're music to his ears every time he sees them. I personally think they're above average, but are seriously overplayed as are all commercials during March Madness.

brevity
03-26-2013, 04:18 PM
So is that Jay Bilas's real-life son in the Dove commercial?

Jay Bilas tweets (https://mobile.twitter.com/JayBilas/status/316208436251594752/actions) his reply.

I'm asked if this is my real son. My wife tells me it is. He smells better after the @DoveMenCare TV shoot.

I wonder if he has to help Ernie Johnson put on his bow tie.

They're mostly improvised apparently as scripts often don't work too well with kids and they would seem more unnatural. I went to high school with the actor in it...after picking up small bit parts, having a YouTube comedy troupe, and waiting tables, he has hit it BIG TIME with these ads. I'm sure they're music to his ears every time he sees them. I personally think they're above average, but are seriously overplayed as are all commercials during March Madness.

There's a long history of AT&T-turned Cingular-turned AT&T commercials flooding March Madness. Especially during "AT&T at the Half" or "Cingular at the Half".

Tell your friend his fame level should fall somewhere between Anorexic chick with the umbrella and deadpan Korean dude (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clar6scSd4k) now on "The Mentalist." (No link for the former provided because I don't support anorexia.)

Mal
03-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Can't believe I've missed this until today.

The AT&T's have a high ratio of hit vs. miss; some of y'all may not like them categorically, but (a) kids are cute and funny, and (b) you can't deny that these have become part of the zeitgeist. That they're getting overplayed and overexposed during the tourney is unfortunate, and inevitable.

The Sonic guys are funny and have good timing. But the king of comedic timing is currently Alec Baldwin. Everything he says is funny. I have hated, HATED with a white hot passion, every Capital One ad since the beginning of the universe, UNTIL Alec Baldwin started showing up in them. Now I hate that they've added him, because I'm forced to not hate the ads coming from the same creative pool as the inbred Vikingesque marauder moron commercials that have polluted our airwaves for years. How dare they stop putting out lowest common denominator dreck? The one good thing about the existence of the Baldwin/Barkley ads is they show up, in case anyone needed to see it, how incredibly unfunny Jimmy Fallon is.

I applaud Mabdul Doobakus upthread for nailing the most basic problem with the Bud Lite hipster internet date ad: it is not nearly as cute/funny/hip as it smirkingly thinks it is. I could get beyond the issue of "These people would be drinking PBR if they wanted a crappy beer" if it weren't for the fact they were so smug about it. Among its other problems is that it's muddling its own message that they'd previously attached to the dumb tagline of "Here we go." Previously, it at least meant "Here we go with some more dumb hijinx among the boys out for a good middlebrow d-baggy time," which supports the Bud Lite brand. This is "Here we go with the rest of our wonderful loving life together and won't we get a laugh out of telling our kids about our first date someday while they ride in the backseat of our Subaru on a drive through Sequoia National Park." That's for people who drink Sierra Nevada. So, what's the target audience of the slogan, then?

I'm tired of the 3 ads in rotation on March Madness Live on my iPad, too. It would be more tolerable if they'd gotten more variety there. Also, I can't stand the Buick Enclave ad there, the one with the clever idea of family returning from tropical vacation to snowy winter but slowly reengages by cranking up the heat in the car remotely so it's cozy when they get there. I actually own an Enclave, and I don't like that one. For starters, remote start is a common feature these days. Beyond that, it's great for use at home, but you can't start the car from half a mile away while you get your baggage. And it turns off if you're not in the car in 10 minutes. Just too much disbelief to suspend on that one.

Blue KevIL
03-26-2013, 05:48 PM

For me the only redeeming quality of these DirecTV commercials is the Genie or, more precisely, the actress portraying the Genie.

I get a kick out of nearly all of the Mayhem commercials.
I really got a good laugh at Mayhem as The World's Worst Cleaning Lady.

Blue KevIL
03-26-2013, 05:54 PM
The Liberty Mutual ad where the guy pulls down the basketball hoop in his driveway is also up there as far as bad commercials go. The soundtrack is like something out of a dentist's office or a bad 80s flick (I'm not talking about the nostalgic kind either!). What would Don Draper say about all of this?!

The song playing in the background is called "Human" by the Human League from c. 1985.
I'm pretty sure no words from the song are actually sung in the commercial -- so that kinda defeats the purpose of using a not-real-well-known song from the 80's.

I did laugh, though, when the hoop gets pulled down and crushes the hood of the car.

toughbuff1
03-26-2013, 05:56 PM
For me the only redeeming quality of these DirecTV commercials is the Genie or, more precisely, the actress portraying the Genie.

I'm pretty sure the actress playing the Genie is Derek Jeter's current girlfriend. I hate him.

brevity
03-26-2013, 05:58 PM

I'm pretty sure the actress playing the Genie is Derek Jeter's current girlfriend. I hate him.

To each his own. She looks like she attended the Fiona Apple School of Nutrition. She has to hold the flatscreen in front of her to hide the emaciation.

Indoor66
03-26-2013, 06:36 PM

Her name is Katie Morrison. Check her out (https://www.google.com/search?q=directv+commercial+girl&hl=en&sa=G&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=QiJSUenmEMW90AHYq4H4Bg&ved=0CFkQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=665).

TNDukeFan
03-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Also, I can't stand the Buick Enclave ad there, the one with the clever idea of family returning from tropical vacation to snowy winter but slowly reengages by cranking up the heat in the car remotely so it's cozy when they get there.

This. They especially liked playing it on Sunday, it seemed. The quirky music was okay the first...87 times.

Fezzik
03-26-2013, 07:48 PM
A good commercial is one you remember years later -

They should bring back the chick from the "Starry-Eyed Surprise" Diet Coke commercial...

make Spring Break Shark Attack 2...

and ride the big, buckin' chicken one more time.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-26-2013, 08:04 PM
A good commercial is one you remember years later -

He's Henry, Clay Henry...

Greg_Newton
03-26-2013, 08:20 PM
OTOH, the Subaru spot with the dog has teared me up approximately 87 times since yesterday morning.

Oh man... so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wa_6g9WNgU

Re: The "Two things at once" AT&T commercial - that was probably my least favorite of that series too, until I tried to tried to imitate the kid from my couch and about broke my neck. Seriously, now I'm just impressed every time I see it.

El_Diablo
03-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Her name is Katie Morrison. Check her out (https://www.google.com/search?q=directv+commercial+girl&hl=en&sa=G&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=QiJSUenmEMW90AHYq4H4Bg&ved=0CFkQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=665).

No, the DirecTV Genie is Hannah Davis (SI Swimsuit model and Derek Jeter's girlfriend).

Katie Morrison is the Mitsubishi self-fencing psycho ("Are you calling me fat?").

Andre Buckner Fan
03-28-2013, 12:39 PM
To each his own. She looks like she attended the Fiona Apple School of Nutrition. She has to hold the flatscreen in front of her to hide the emaciation.

I completely agree. I don't understand the fascination with her.

Nugget
03-28-2013, 04:10 PM
They should bring back the chick from the "Starry-Eyed Surprise" Diet Coke commercial...

Yep. Coke can get rid of its ad agency and save the bucks. They should just use that one forever.

killerleft
03-28-2013, 04:17 PM

Which commercial are YOU looking at? I don't think emaciated is a good word for her at all.

crimsonandblue
03-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Which commercial are YOU looking at? I don't think emaciated is a good word for her at all.

Emaciated in a voluptuous way. Or something.

captmojo
03-28-2013, 06:53 PM
I like the Audi spot, where the kid goes to the prom alone, with his dad's car, and finds the Queen...and the King. :eek:

Gmadaduke
03-28-2013, 07:45 PM
My current favorite commercial is the Ski Mask car commercial (VW Beetle) with the trolololololo song playing in the background. Apart from being clever - what a soundtrack!!

Tripping William
03-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Emaciated in a voluptuous way. Or something.

"You've got anger issues."

Faustus
03-28-2013, 10:21 PM
And thanks to CBS and all these wonderful commercials, the actual games themselves are now taking close to three hours to complete... Seems every time I switch to a game tonight, they're cutting to yet another commercial break.

throatybeard
03-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Every year, this tournament is a worse TV product. I don't know of any sport besides College BB that is so consistently undermined in the total TV product.

heyman25
03-29-2013, 05:52 AM
Every year, this tournament is a worse TV product. I don't know of any sport besides College BB that is so consistently undermined in the total TV product.

I hate the longest running baby in advertisement on TV The "ETrade" baby with adult voice. Lame a campaign as ever devised. AT&T is tolerable.However it is run too often.

duke79
03-29-2013, 09:55 AM
And thanks to CBS and all these wonderful commercials, the actual games themselves are now taking close to three hours to complete... Seems every time I switch to a game tonight, they're cutting to yet another commercial break.

Yes, the number of commercials during each game is becoming almost unbearable. But, let's face reality, CBS paid a fortune to the NCAA for the rights to televise the tourney (allegedly $771 million per year, through 2024) plus I'm sure they have very high production costs, so the only way they can make any money on this deal is by running a lot of commercials during the game and half time. It's too bad the NCAA didn't do what the Masters did with CBS - limit the number of commercials that can shown during each hour of broadcast time. In the case of the Masters, I believe they wrote it into the contract with CBS that only 4 minutes of commercials could be shown during each hour and the number of commerical sponsors is limited (in the past to IBM, Cadillac, and Travelers). You won't be seeing the Bud Light internet date commerical during the Masters, that is for sure.

I think the worst offender on television for the number of commericals has to be the Weather Channel. I think during any 60-minute time slot, there are about 54 minutes of commercials. It is truly ridiculous.

crimsonandblue
03-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Yes, the number of commercials during each game is becoming almost unbearable. But, let's face reality, CBS paid a fortune to the NCAA for the rights to televise the tourney (allegedly $771 million per year, through 2024) plus I'm sure they have very high production costs, so the only way they can make any money on this deal is by running a lot of commercials during the game and half time. It's too bad the NCAA didn't do what the Masters did with CBS - limit the number of commercials that can shown during each hour of broadcast time. In the case of the Masters, I believe they wrote it into the contract with CBS that only 4 minutes of commercials could be shown during each hour and the number of commerical sponsors is limited (in the past to IBM, Cadillac, and Travelers). You won't be seeing the Bud Light internet date commerical during the Masters, that is for sure.

I think the worst offender on television for the number of commericals has to be the Weather Channel. I think during any 60-minute time slot, there are about 54 minutes of commercials. It is truly ridiculous.

I can almost tolerate the commercials, when sitting home watching on tv. You can mute them, get a drink, use the facilities, bake a cake, invent something, write the great American novel, etc. Sitting in an arena (or Jerry World) while nothing goes on for minutes on end in cramped seats when no Here We Go is available, is torture.

rasputin
03-29-2013, 10:32 AM

They could still limit the number of commercials, and I think they could make just as much money, by charging more per minute, by making them scarce, and thereby make the overall product better.

duke79
03-29-2013, 10:41 AM
They could still limit the number of commercials, and I think they could make just as much money, by charging more per minute, by making them scarce, and thereby make the overall product better.

I think this is exactly the philosophy of the Masters. They increase the value of the commercials to the sponsor by limiting how many they show and how many companies are allowed to purchase commercial time during the broadcast. I'm sure CBS can then demand more money per minute of commercial from the advertisers. Furthermore, the demographics of the people watching the Masters is quite favorable (i.e., rich folks), thus increasing the appeal to certain advertisers. I've never seen how much CBS pays to the Masters for the rights to televise the tournament (those numbers are not released by the Masters) but I understand it is more than what would normally be paid, especially in view of the limitation on the number of commercials, because of the prestige of the tournament and the fact that CBS knows that either NBC or ABC would gladly pay up for those rights. It is one of those cases where the Masters has 90% of the bargaining power. The bottom line it is a pleasure to watch that tournament without all the commericals.

Atlanta Duke
03-29-2013, 11:35 AM
I think this is exactly the philosophy of the Masters. They increase the value of the commercials to the sponsor by limiting how many they show and how many companies are allowed to purchase commercial time during the broadcast. I'm sure CBS can then demand more money per minute of commercial from the advertisers. Furthermore, the demographics of the people watching the Masters is quite favorable (i.e., rich folks), thus increasing the appeal to certain advertisers. I've never seen how much CBS pays to the Masters for the rights to televise the tournament (those numbers are not released by the Masters) but I understand it is more than what would normally be paid, especially in view of the limitation on the number of commercials, because of the prestige of the tournament and the fact that CBS knows that either NBC or ABC would gladly pay up for those rights. It is one of those cases where the Masters has 90% of the bargaining power. The bottom line it is a pleasure to watch that tournament without all the commericals.

Augusta National's bargaining power includes the fact the club is willing to leave money on the table. In response to a threatened boycott of companies that purchased ads for The Masters while Augusta National was refusing to change its men only membership policies, the tournament went ad free for several years starting in 2003

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters12/story/_/id/7790749/2012-masters-ibm-chief-virginia-rometty-augusta-minus-green-jacket

Few organizations have that kind of financial independence - the NCAA certainly is not one of them

duke79
03-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Augusta National's bargaining power includes the fact the club is willing to leave money on the table. In response to a threatened boycott of companies that purchased ads for The Masters while Augusta National was refusing to change its men only membership policies, the tournament went ad free for several years starting in 2003

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters12/story/_/id/7790749/2012-masters-ibm-chief-virginia-rometty-augusta-minus-green-jacket

Few organizations have that kind of financial independence - the NCAA certainly is not one of them

Yea, the proceeds from the sale of the TV rights is not as important to Augusta Nation Golf Club as it is for some other sporting events and that definitely helps their bargaining position. Plus, CBS knows that either NBC or ABC would almost kill to obtain those TV rights, if CBS were not willing to pay Augusta National what they want and to televise the tournament in the way that Augusta National dictates. There's a legendary story that Gary McCord was banned from the CBS announcing crew for a number of years after he described the greens as slick as a bikini wax. Apparently, the folks at AN found that analogy to be a little too distasteful for their sensibilities. For some reason, all three networks view the Masters as one of the holy grails of sports broadcasting. It would not surprise me at all if CBS lost money on their coverage.

sagegrouse
03-29-2013, 04:20 PM

The Masters does not fully utilize its market power. CBS has broadcast the event since 1956, but on one-year contracts. Commercials are limited to four minutes per hour; network promos are banned almost totally. In 2003 and 2004, because of the disputes involving women's membership at Augusta National, the club banned commercials and probably paid CBS to broadcast the event.

Maybe TV rights are handled sorta like the food concessions. Here's a WSJ excerpt from last year:

Food is astonishingly cheap – not just cheap in the sporting event context, but just cheap, cheap. The famous Pimento cheese sandwich is a buck and a half; two of them will have you napping under a shade tree. An egg salad sandwich is also $1.50. The Masters club sandwich is $2.50. For big spenders, you can go wild with a grilled chicken wrap at $3.00.

And beer? This will make you cry: $3 for domestic, $3.75 for imports.

sagegrouse

oldnavy
03-29-2013, 04:26 PM
The Masters does not fully utilize its market power. CBS has broadcast the event since 1956, but on one-year contracts. Commercials are limited to four minutes per hour; network promos are banned almost totally. In 2003 and 2004, because of the disputes involving women's membership at Augusta National, the club banned commercials and probably paid CBS to broadcast the event.

Maybe TV rights are handled sorta like the food concessions. Here's a WSJ excerpt from last year:

sagegrouse

I've been twice in my life, both time in the early 90's and I remember two main things, the place was like a garden, nothing out of place and amazingly beautiful, and second the food was good and cheap!

Greg_Newton
03-29-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm confused - did CBS make timeouts longer or something? It's not like the number of game stoppages has changed. :confused:

pfrduke
03-29-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm confused - did CBS make timeouts longer or something? It's not like the number of game stoppages has changed. :confused:

Yes. Media timeouts, full timeouts, and halftime are longer. What is typically a 90-120 second media/full timeout during the regular season is a 150-180 second timeout during the tournament. Halftime extends from 15 to 20 minutes. Also, unlike ESPN, CBS takes commercials during 30 second timeouts - while those (I believe) remain the same length, the fact that CBS goes to commercial where ESPN would stay with the game makes it feel like extra stoppage.

oldnavy
03-29-2013, 05:18 PM
In some ways it feels like a commercial interupted with Basketball breaks.

I don't like it, but I understand why it is the way it is....

BD80
03-29-2013, 06:48 PM

Isn't there an extra media timeout each half in the tournament v regular season?

El_Diablo
03-29-2013, 07:13 PM
In streaming games online, the commercial breaks are even more tortuous. This mattered more during the first weekend of course, but you cannot "change channels" to another game during a commercial break--the links go dead, and you are forced to sit through 2-3 minutes of the same 6-7 commercials until play resumes, at which point you can then switch to another game (which always starts with another commercial before cutting to the live feed). Also, for some reason you cannot mute the commercial--that button disappears too (although you can mute your computer of course). I quickly got to the point where I would just close the browser window, reopen another one, go to March Madness Live, and choose another game rather than have to sit through another Honda remote-start ad or AT&T children spot.

Tripping William
03-29-2013, 08:53 PM
I know he is a Duke grad & all, but I have officially become weary of Ken Jeong & his fridge/pig/cowboy-suit.

throatybeard
03-29-2013, 11:38 PM
I think the central disappointment of my life will be that I never make it to attend the Masters. I don't see how it's gonna happen.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-30-2013, 12:28 AM
I know he is a Duke grad & all, but I have officially become weary of Ken Jeong & his fridge/pig/cowboy-suit.

I actually like that ad.

But I'm also a sucker for all things "Community."

TruBlu
03-30-2013, 12:29 AM

Agree. It is getting old.

Favorite commercial is the one of the guy with dandruff in the desert. There is some good scenery at that oasis. Too bad that I'm so distracted that I don't remember which shampoo is being pushed.

Saratoga2
03-30-2013, 09:48 AM

Thoughts?

The sheer number and repetitiveness of the commericals make the mute button an essential for watching the gaame. Now they also throw up the plaques up before going back to the game and the announcers are also trained to hype some show or other a times when the game is being played. What ever happened to reasonable limits on the time devoted to commericals. It can't help the sale of products to irritate viewers with the incessant din of low quality messages. Yes, I am over 70 and remember when TV advertising was much more limited. Notice the Masters Gold Tournament has virtually no ads.

oldnavy
03-30-2013, 09:58 AM
You know what is sad? I couldn't tell you what half of the ads are promoting....

Give me a good ol jingle any day that has the product name in it...

-jk
03-30-2013, 01:33 PM
You know what is sad? I couldn't tell you what half of the ads are promoting....

Give me a good ol jingle any day that has the product name in it...

Sail with the Pilot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4gptzlIGow)!

-jk

killerleft
03-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Sail with the Pilot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4gptzlIGow)!

-jk

Ah, the good old days when commercials were short and men were men! Heck, my heartbeat would still be racing when they returned to the game. Here I am 60 years old and I have to look close after the breeeaaakkk to remember who we're playing.:D

mgtr
03-30-2013, 02:28 PM
One of my favorite all time TV ads www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErgdUhZteqw was a failure because people remembered the meatballs and spaghetti sauce, but not the product (Alka-seltzer).

brevity
03-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Oh crap. AT&T just went next level.

Larry Bird: "It's like I don't have feelings."

pfrduke
03-30-2013, 06:31 PM

The one earlier in the game that had the focus group guy high fiving everyone was better.

rsvman
03-30-2013, 09:07 PM
I haven't read the entire thread.....

Any mention yet of trick-shot baby? I freaking LOVE trick-shot baby!

captmojo
03-31-2013, 08:32 AM

And it was hillarious.
You know there has to be more. I haven't seen Russell speak yet.

NashvilleDevil
03-31-2013, 08:37 AM
And it was hillarious.
You know there has to be more. I haven't seen Russell speak yet.

That's because Bill Russell doesn't need to speak.

captmojo
03-31-2013, 09:13 AM
That's because Bill Russell doesn't need to speak.

But I don't think he be willing to stay unspoken for a whole series of these.

ArnieMc
03-31-2013, 10:59 AM
The sheer number and repetitiveness of the commericals make the mute button an essential for watching the gaame. Now they also throw up the plaques up before going back to the game and the announcers are also trained to hype some show or other a times when the game is being played. What ever happened to reasonable limits on the time devoted to commericals. It can't help the sale of products to irritate viewers with the incessant din of low quality messages. Yes, I am over 70 and remember when TV advertising was much more limited. Notice the Masters Golf Tournament has virtually no ads.I just record the game and start watching about 45 minutes in (1:15 for CBS NCAA games) - skipping the commercials. I usually end up watching live for the last few minutes.

hurleyfor3
03-31-2013, 05:28 PM
Bill Russell FTW. As always.

moonpie23
03-31-2013, 06:23 PM
i do like the look on the guy's face when he bops the grill into the back of the guy's suv with a football........

brevity
03-31-2013, 07:18 PM
Before DBR shuts down...

Best campaign: Capital One ads with Alec Baldwin and Charles Barkley. Shows that you can have a comedy duo where neither is the straight man. My only question is how they found stadium seats where they could sit next to each other.

Worst campaign: Southwest. Boring visuals, and "Some Nights" was already an abomination of a song. But to cash in on the part of the song that so obviously plagiarizes "Cecelia"? Paul Simon may not need the money, but Art Garfunkel probably does. He should either collect or be allowed to kill the members of fun. (One of which is dating Lena Dunham, which brings us full circle.)

BlueDevilBrowns
03-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Before DBR shuts down...

Worst campaign: Southwest. Boring visuals, and "Some Nights" was already an abomination of a song. But to cash in on the part of the song that so obviously plagiarizes "Cecelia"? Paul Simon may not need the money, but Art Garfunkel probably does. He should either collect or be allowed to kill the members of fun. (One of which is dating Lena Dunham, which brings us full circle.)

This and the fact that they play those stupid SW commercials every 5 secs it seems!