PDA

View Full Version : Friday Round of 64 Tournament Discussions

Udaman
03-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Talking all games across all regions.

Can't believe how under achieving NC State has been this year. They are so much better than Temple, but just don't play with passion or fire.

Glad Wisconsin is out. Their "bore you to death" offense is just so brutal to watch. Again just shows how awful the West region is. Gonzaga might actually make the Final Four because there will be nobody left (though the same could be said for Wichita State, I guess).

davekay1971
03-22-2013, 03:44 PM
State has made a tremendous comeback after a terrible start, but they have just been victimized by some bad free throw shooting and 2 TERRIBLE calls right at the end of the game. As long as Temple holds on, this game should be the perfect summary of State's season - close, but ultimately left with what might-have-beens because they just kept digging holes for themselves and left no margin for error.

Mal
03-22-2013, 03:54 PM
I had heard K State was overrated, but are they really this bad? Not watching, but they're getting housed by a play-in team right now.

OldPhiKap
03-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Miami came to ball. Watch out racket.

Udaman
03-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Didn't see the fouls.....but regardless, to fall down 16 at the half to Temple is just awful. That team just thought they were so good they only needed to show up to win, and it cost them over and over and over again this season.

IBleedBlue
03-22-2013, 03:59 PM
I ventured over there to see the reax. Found one post very funny in particular:
Gott has to be mentally disabled at some level. We should get a tax write off for hiring him.

loran16
03-22-2013, 04:07 PM
In the last year of this incarnation of the A-10, The A-10 is almost certain now to go 5-0 in the first round, getting La Salle, Temple, Butler, VCU, and St. Louis into the next round. La Salle and St. Louis may in fact be favored in their next game. Hell of a way for the league to go out - though La Salle isn't going anywhere (VCU and St. Louis are rumored targets for the 2nd expansion of the new Big East).

Now if Nova wins against Carolina, the Big Five will be 3-0.

ChrisP
03-22-2013, 04:09 PM
So, I'm watching CBS during halftime of the Creighton-Cincy game and was like, who is this dude with glasses? Finally, they put up a graphic with Rex Chapman's name. Wow, he's changed!

Oh, and if Cincy could hit the broad side of a barn, they'd be ahead in this game. Seriously, 36% vs 63% and they're only down 5.

throatybeard
03-22-2013, 04:18 PM
So, I'm watching CBS during halftime of the Creighton-Cincy game and was like, who is this dude with glasses? Finally, they put up a graphic with Rex Chapman's name. Wow, he's changed!

Oh, and if Cincy could hit the broad side of a barn, they'd be ahead in this game. Seriously, 36% vs 63% and they're only down 5.

Who are we rooting for here?

loran16
03-22-2013, 04:20 PM

Given that our last two opponents couldn't miss from deep and Creighton leads the nation in shooting (from deep and inside) I'd prefer Cinci just so I'll have less of a heart attack over D.

ChrisP
03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Given that our last two opponents couldn't miss from deep and Creighton leads the nation in shooting (from deep and inside) I'd prefer Cinci just so I'll have less of a heart attack over D.

I concur. Not really scared of either team, but...given our often less-than-stellar defense at times this year, I think I'd prefer Cincy. Of course, that would mean we'd have to look at these unbelievably ugly uni's for another game.

marinbobbyduhon
03-22-2013, 04:32 PM
I concur. Not really scared of either team, but...given our often less-than-stellar defense at times this year, I think I'd prefer Cincy. Of course, that would mean we'd have to look at these unbelievably ugly uni's for another game.

I want this game to go 3 overtimes with both teams beating up on each other. :rolleyes:

Duvall
03-22-2013, 04:34 PM

Probably want to root for a mid-major like Cincinnati over a Big East power like Creighton.

BD80
03-22-2013, 04:43 PM
So, I'm watching CBS during halftime of the Creighton-Cincy game and was like, who is this dude with glasses? ...

Certainly not the King Rex that made the ky coeds swoon ... He could really sky. I recall him having a huge gold "KING" pendant on a heavy gold chain.

77devil
03-22-2013, 04:47 PM

I think we match up better with Creighton. Cincy's front line is big and physical, the kind that gives Mason and Ryan trouble. I'd feel better about containing McDermott if Ryan was in better shape, but if Josh chases him around and denies him the ball, Mason can handle Encheique. Quinn and Sheed are much quicker than their guards, and I don't see a lock down defender for Seth.

Mudge
03-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Probably want to root for a mid-major like Cincinnati over a Big East power like Creighton.

Agreed (SNaRK, SNaRK)... Cincy struggles to score 50/game, and only has two guys that can shoot (Kilpatrick and Wright)-- if one of them is off, you can virtually triple team the other guy, with impunity, as Cincy basically recruits athletes, not basketball players, and tells them to get after you defensively, and foul you all over the court, in an attempt to create turnovers (and hopefully, uncontested fast-break baskets, which are about the only kind of shot the rest of their team can make)... in other words, pretty much a carbon-copy of the last ~15 years of the first John Thompson's reign at Georgetown.

sagegrouse
03-22-2013, 05:06 PM
The team wearing the uniform from a pajama party just got a break with a flagrant 1 call in the last minute, and may still have a chance to carry its hideous uniforms to play Duke.

sage

hurleyfor3
03-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Ball don't lie.

rsvman
03-22-2013, 05:10 PM
I think I'd rather play Cincinnati. They look pretty bad to me.

rsvman
03-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Creighton is an excellent free-throw shooting team, too.

ChrisP
03-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Creighton is an excellent free-throw shooting team, too.

True. Cincy just seems to play kind of out of control a lot. And they also play kinda dumb. Can't believe that dude missed TWO FT's on that flagrant! Jeez!

Udaman
03-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Looks like Cincy didn't scout this team. You can't trade shots for free throws with them. They make them all. Only chance is to do what Marquette did and trade 3's for 2's and make a few prayer three pointers.

Native
I want Cincy with a side of some revenge for the Belk Bowl.

But the opposite of whatever I say will happen, so Creighton's totally going to win.

rsvman
Not over yet, though

rsvman
03-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Now it's over

Mabdul Doobakus
03-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Don't really understand Kansas State not using their last timeout there. It's okay to let them play at first, but they looked in a panic there with 5 seconds. Ended up with a behind the basket shot, which not surprisingly, did not go in.

Mabdul Doobakus
03-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Well...I guess Weber was trying to call a timeout.

Mike Corey
03-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Don't really understand Kansas State not using their last timeout there.

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Bruce+Weber+bNUuoj2QVOCm.jpg

oldnavy
03-22-2013, 05:29 PM
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Bruce+Weber+bNUuoj2QVOCm.jpg

He's gonna donate it to Roy.

Tripping William
03-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Anybody wanna trade Duke's first half against Albany for Georgetown's first half against FGCU?

tbyers11
03-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Anybody wanna trade Duke's first half against Albany for Georgetown's first half against FGCU?

Definitely don't want to trade the first 6 minutes of our second half for Georgetown's against FGCU. Florida Gulf Coast looks like the 2 seed for the last 4 minutes

sagegrouse
03-22-2013, 08:43 PM
UNC led Villanoa 32-12. The score was tied 40-40. UNC has a two-point lead.

sage

ChrisP
03-22-2013, 08:49 PM
UNC led Villanoa 32-12. The score was tied 40-40. UNC has a two-point lead.

sage

Yeah, I stopped watching cuz when I do, Carolina plays better and/or their opponent plays worse. WRT to the G'town v FGCU game, this one is getting entertaining! FGCU up 12 with about 4 1/2 to go.

ChrisP
03-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Oh, and my brackets are all T O A S T! :mad:

RoyalBlue08
03-22-2013, 09:02 PM
FGCU is alarmingly athletic

ChrisP
03-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Gotta give GT credit, I thought this game was OVER. It probably should have been - FGCU is getting a little tight and rushing some things (plus the refs seem to be allowing LOTS of contact which is benefitting G'town)

kmspeaks
03-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Or did Len Elmore just try to suggest (albeit subtly) that Georgetown was stunned by the athleticism of FGCU's white players? After the alley oop by I think Fieler he made the stunned comment. Reggie Miller responded with there's no way they haven't seen guys that athletic in the Big East. Elmore says, "yeah but not THESE guys." (Emphasis his, not mine) I will acknowledge that it could have been a completely innocent comment and my dislike of Len makes me hear something that's not there but did anyone else hear it that way?

moonpie23
03-22-2013, 09:16 PM
i kinda got that too.....

ChrisP
03-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Or did Len Elmore just try to suggest (albeit subtly) that Georgetown was stunned by the athleticism of FGCU's white players. After the alley oop by I think Fieler he made the stunned comment. Reggie Miller responded with there's no way they haven't seen guys that athletic in the Big East. Elmore says, "yeah but not THESE guys." (Emphasis his, not mine) I will acknowledge that it could have been a completely innocent comment and my dislike of Len makes me hear something that's not there but did anyone else hear it that way.

I honestly didn't take it that way - and I'm FAR from an Elmore fan. I just took it as him wanting to snipe at Reggie some more. I love how Reggie seems to openly disdain some of the jerkier/ridiculous things Elmore says. :cool:

burnspbesq
03-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Florida Gulf Coast?

OldSchool
03-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Florida Gulf Coast?

Hey, come on! If you take away that run of 30 straight points we had on them earlier this year, they would have given our team more than we could handle...

ChrisP
03-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Florida Gulf Coast?

Bracket getting crispier...

Mabdul Doobakus
03-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Florida Gulf Coast is probably the best 15 seed of all time, though, right? I mean...how many 15 seeds previously beat a Top 5 team (Miami...I know they were not Top 5 at the time) during their season?

I may be completely biased my inability to remember past 15 seeds all that well...but I think we all knew FGCU had a chance, and it's pretty rare you feel that way about a 15 seed.

77devil
03-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Hey, come on! If you take away that run of 30 straight points we had on them earlier this year, they would have given our team more than we could handle...

You're the second person to caveat a 30 point run. If I take away Seth's 20 plus performance today maybe we lose.

OldSchool
03-22-2013, 10:05 PM
You're the second person to caveat a 30 point run. If I take away Seth's 20 plus performance today maybe we lose.

Tongue-in-cheek on my part. But welcome, Georgetown, to the 15-over-2 party. Missouri is over at the bar getting a beer...

sagegrouse
03-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Gotta give GT credit, I thought this game was OVER. It probably should have been - FGCU is getting a little tight and rushing some things (plus the refs seem to be allowing LOTS of contact which is benefitting G'town)

I believe GT is Georgia Tech; GU is Georgetown; UGa (pronounced UGH-ah) is the U. of Georgia; GW is George Washington; Zags is Gonzaga.

sagegrouse

ChrisP
03-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Tongue-in-cheek on my part. But welcome, Georgetown, to the 15-over-2 party. Missouri is over at the bar getting a beer...

It was really nice to hear the announcers and studio talking heads get literally giddy at the FGCU win tonight. Finally, a win that will (hopefully) get everyone to stop talking about Lehigh's win over us last year. And of course, they almost never mention that we were without RK in that game. To my knowledge. Missouri last year and G'town this year were at full strength.

ChrisP
03-22-2013, 11:03 PM
And...1 Billion Tar Heel fans are united in prayer for the Hilltoppers right about now. I must admit, I'm torn - do I pull for Western Kentucky so I can witness history being made or do I pull for Kansas so I can watch them embarrass the heels on Sunday?

Newton_14
03-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Dang it, I knew I should have picked that game. I came very close to then went against it. I think most of us that watched our game with them knew they had talent, plus they had the win over Miami to boot. They play fast and can score in bunches, Georgetown plays slow and struggles to score. It was the perfect set up and as others noted, FGC was underseeded.

Thank you Hoyas as Duke is no longer the latest 2 Seed to go down in flames against a 15. Also interesting that three of the four 5 seeds went down to 12 seeds.

Dukeface88
03-22-2013, 11:07 PM
And...1 Billion Tar Heel fans are united in prayer for the Hilltoppers right about now. I must admit, I'm torn - do I pull for Western Kentucky so I can witness history being made or do I pull for Kansas so I can watch them embarrass the heels on Sunday?

Pull for Western Kentucky so they can make history and embarrass UNC on Sunday. Problem solved.

_Gary
03-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Pull for Western Kentucky so they can make history and embarrass UNC on Sunday. Problem solved.

No way can I do that. Were Western Kentucky to somehow win tonight, everyone knows they'd lay down for UNC on Sunday. That's pretty much axiomatic, isn't it?

ChrisP
03-22-2013, 11:35 PM

Genius! Why didn't I think of that? :cool:

Probably because I know, like the other poster above me, that the Hilltoppers would play like scrub city against the Heels and thus hand them a trip to the Sweet Sixteen.

_Gary
03-22-2013, 11:46 PM
For some reason I had this really weird, sickening feeling when I saw the brackets on Sunday that UNC was somehow going to advance to the Elite Eight, if not further. I don't know why I felt that way, it's really ridiculous to think they'd get a pass and not have to play Kansas. But now... This is really scary. Come on Jayhawks!!

ChrisP
03-23-2013, 12:11 AM
For some reason I had this really weird, sickening feeling when I saw the brackets on Sunday that UNC was somehow going to advance to the Elite Eight, if not further. I don't know why I felt that way, it's really ridiculous to think they'd get a pass and not have to play Kansas. But now... This is really scary. Come on Jayhawks!!

I think you can rest easy. Shooting 14% in a half and bricking FT's won't win you many games, Hilltoppers :mad:

Seriously, guys - 14%???

_Gary
03-23-2013, 12:16 AM
I think you can rest easy. Shooting 14% in a half and bricking FT's won't win you many games, Hilltoppers :mad:

Seriously, guys - 14%???

Hold the phone! Kansas trying to give it away!

hurleyfor3
03-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Albany or FGCU would've wiped the floor with Kansas. Yeah, I know, they're 15-seeds.

_Gary
03-23-2013, 12:20 AM
On the plus side, I do believe Kansas will play much looser against UNC now that they've got the monkey off their back tonight. This was all about them feeling the 1 vs 16 pressure, imho.

Mal
03-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Florida Gulf Coast?

That was the most fun I've had watching a game in which I had no real rooting interest in years. I mean, let it all hang out, FGCU! I've never seen a team so loose. And talk about high flying and entertaining. I watched with my kids and I think they thought I was having a seizure when Gulf broke the trap for that monster alley oop with about 4 minutes to go. And that put back early in the second half was phenomenal.

Also, Go, Gophers, Go!

ChrisP
03-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Ok, but when WKY cut it to 5 and got a KU turnover, there was a stoppage of play due to some clock issue which essentially resulted in a timeout. WKY proceeds to come out of that and heave up a 3 that they didn't need! Arrrghhh!!!

Indoor66
03-23-2013, 07:03 AM

Unfortunately, Bill Werber is serving the beer.

sagegrouse
03-23-2013, 08:42 AM
From the WaPo about the Florida Gulf Coast coach:

FGCU’s improbable victory was a triumph for second-year Coach Andy Enfield, a Johns Hopkins graduate who holds the NCAA record for free throw shooting percentage (92.5), made a fortune on Wall Street and used the freedom that bought to pursue his dream of coaching basketball.

Wow! NCAA record FT percentage! We'll forgive him Wall Street. But noted basketball power, the Johns Hopkins University!?!

sagegrouse

Saratoga2
03-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Midwest Seeds

West Seeds

South Seeds

East Seeds

What does this tell us?
1. Gonzaga has the easiest road ahead?
2. Despite the upsets, most of the power teams advanced?

oldnavy
03-23-2013, 09:31 AM
From the WaPo about the Florida Gulf Coast coach:

Wow! NCAA record FT percentage! We'll forgive him Wall Street. But noted basketball power, the Johns Hopkins University!?!

sagegrouse

Sounds like a winner at whatever he does, good for him!

mgtr
03-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Midwest Seeds

West Seeds

South Seeds

East Seeds

What does this tell us?

Possibly that when the committee came to a team they didn't know what to do with, they threw it into the west. :D

sagegrouse
03-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Midwest Seeds

West Seeds

South Seeds

East Seeds

What does this tell us?

I have been cursed with the West region. Having a low opinion of both the Zags and the Buckeyes, I selected ND, K-State and New Mexico in my three brackets. I was happy to see Harvard and LaSalle win, and sorry to see Notre Dame lost. But I suppose my defective brackets are punishment for those thoughts.

sagegrouse

77devil
03-23-2013, 11:01 AM
I have been cursed with the West region. Having a low opinion of both the Zags and the Buckeyes, I selected ND, K-State and New Mexico in my three brackets. I was happy to see Harvard and LaSalle win, and sorry to see Notre Dame lost. But I suppose my defective brackets are punishment for those thoughts.

sagegrouse

I'm a bit surprised that someone of such obvious intelligence would pick ND. ND losing early is as predictable as the sun rise. (-: