PDA

View Full Version : Harvard 68, New Mexico 62

hurleyfor3
03-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Tommy's boys up four shooting FTs after the final teevee timeout.

luburch
03-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Been watching since halftime. Hang in there Harvard.

chaosmage
03-22-2013, 12:09 AM
That occurred as I started to post, Harvard was playing REALLY smart ball. Rushed that last shot, but up 5 with 85 seconds? Here's hoping for the underdog!

luburch
03-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Doug Gottlieb is doing his best to make this game unwatchable.

luburch
03-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Harvard pulls off the upset!

hurleyfor3
If you're gonna have only one true upset today, this was a fine choice.

DukieInKansas
Congratulations, Crimson!

And yes, I did pick them to win in my bracket. Way to go, Tommy!

burnspbesq
03-22-2013, 12:26 AM
Harvard had to hire consultants from Maryland to teach them how to riot.

matt1
03-22-2013, 12:28 AM
This killed my bracket. I had U of NM losing to us in the Final Four. Anyway, good for Amaker and Harvard!

NashvilleDevil
03-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Tommy gets his revenge on Alford for ending his playing career at Duke in the '87 tournament.

JasonEvans
03-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Harvard is going to get serious consideration for the preseason top 25 next year.

But this year ain't over yet! Way to go Crimson.

-Jason "Tommy is a fabulous coach!" Evans

IBleedBlue
03-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Harvard had to hire consultants from Maryland to teach them how to riot.
Really funny..post of the day...

theschwartz
03-22-2013, 12:57 AM
Michigan St was the 3-seed I was REALLY hoping would go down today, but sadly, Valpo is not the Harvard of Northwest Indiana.

willb_wrv
03-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Great Win for the Duke Family. Any time the Ivy League can advance in this tournament, it's a win for COLLEGE basketball and STUDENT-athletes, in general. So happy for Tommy Amaker and the Harvard team,and hope they continue to advance (even though I picked NMU to the Sweet 16). It also makes me think about rumors that Chris Collins is interviewing with Northwestern next week. He, too, will undoubtedly be a great head coach someday (...just hopefully in the distant future).

moonpie23
03-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Awesome win for the Harvard team, fans and staff......!!!

flyingdutchdevil
03-22-2013, 08:14 AM
...but my bracket got busted. I may have had New Mexico as a FF team :o

CameronBornAndBred
03-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Congrats to Havahd and to Tommy, that was excellent news to wake up to. On my brackets I seriously debated going with NM to make it, but luckily changed my mind.
I'm very happy to see that Amaker is having serious success in the Ivy league. From everything I have read, it is a great fit for both him and his wife, and it looks like the job is his as long as he wants it. He's always been one of the ones I would love to see under consideration when our time comes.

Tripping William
03-22-2013, 08:29 AM
I had Los Lobos to the Sweet 16, but was glad to see the news that Harvard took them out. A little Amaker revenge against Alford for that '87 Sweet 16 thing (yeah, tenuous; I know). Even better: a huge step in Harvard's quest to become the Duke of the North. ;)

Mudge
03-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Tommy gets his revenge on Alford for ending his playing career at Duke in the '87 tournament.

I was thinking that exact same thing-- Alford was the Indiana PG vs. Amaker for Duke, in the only year between 1986-1992 that Duke did not make the Final Four-- and Alford went on to win the title over Syracuse... so I thought it was interesting to see the two of them talking for a moment after the game-- Alford was very calm and gracious (maybe not what you'd expect, after a coach of a highly seeded team has been upset-- especially the coach of a school which has never been able to get over the hump to get to Final 16 teams, even though New Mexico had many good teams in the 1970's when the tournament was only 24 or 32 teams)... I was thinking maybe Alford was saying "Well, you finally got me back, for that game in 1987."... but then I remembered that Amaker probably had at least one win with Michigan over Iowa, when Alford was there-- though probably not one nearly as important as this one.

Interesting, though, to contrast the reaction of Alford to Amaker after this game vis a` vis the 1987 game, with that of Bob Knight with Coach K, after the 1992 Final Four... Knight wasn't nearly as gracious, when Coach K got some payback in the 1992 tournament for the 1987 game.

Mudge
03-22-2013, 09:28 AM
I had Los Lobos to the Sweet 16, but was glad to see the news that Harvard took them out. A little Amaker revenge against Alford for that '87 Sweet 16 thing (yeah, tenuous; I know). Even better: a huge step in Harvard's quest to become the Duke of the North. ;)

I keep seeing/hearing that people had New Mexico winning two, three, even four games (somebody had them losing to Duke, which can only happen in the Final Four)... I don't understand these picks-- didn't anybody watch these guys this year? New Mexico is not that good-- they certainly weren't hands-down better than Harvard. When I looked back at NM's losses outside of the conference-- they were very unflattering-- this NM team was more ripe to be upset than Gonzaga-- and I think Gonzaga is way over-rated, too, as was evidenced by their play yesterday... New Mexico has always been a "choke" team in the tournament, going back to at least the 1970's--picking NM this year is like picking Missouri to do anything (any year) in the tournament-- they always underperform vs. expectations.

(I can understand people picking somebody other than Gonzaga to come out of the West region-- but really, do you think this NM team would win more than one game in a five game series with either Ohio State or Wisconsin-- I don't-- which suggests that NM would have been very unlikely to win a one-game matchup with either of those teams... NM is not an impressive team-- and clearly, the Mountain West has been dramatically over-rated and over-seeded this year. I'd say that the Big 12 probably is overseeded/represented, too-- and the Pac 12 was underseeded.)

Tripping William
03-22-2013, 09:50 AM
I keep seeing/hearing that people had New Mexico winning two, three, even four games (somebody had them losing to Duke, which can only happen in the Final Four)... I don't understand these picks-- didn't anybody watch these guys this year? New Mexico is not that good-- they certainly weren't hands-down better than Harvard. When I looked back at NM's losses outside of the conference-- they were very unflattering-- this NM team was more ripe to be upset than Gonzaga-- and I think Gonzaga is way over-rated, too, as was evidenced by their play yesterday... New Mexico has always been a "choke" team in the tournament, going back to at least the 1970's--picking NM this year is like picking Missouri to do anything (any year) in the tournament-- they always underperform vs. expectations.

(I can understand people picking somebody other than Gonzaga to come out of the West region-- but really, do you think this NM team would win more than one game in a five game series with either Ohio State or Wisconsin-- I don't-- which suggests that NM would have been very unlikely to win a one-game matchup with either of those teams... NM is not an impressive team-- and clearly, the Mountain West has been dramatically over-rated and over-seeded this year. I'd say that the Big 12 probably is overseeded/represented, too-- and the Pac 12 was underseeded.)

I figured that, in Salt Lake City (at Albuquerque-esque altitude & in their own time zone), they could find a way to defeat Harvard and Belmont. I was wrong.

duke79
03-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Great win for Tommy and the Crimson. Let's hope they make it to the sweet 16. I watched the first half of the game and NM looked terrible. They couldn't make a shot from the outside and seemed listless on defense. Harvard should have had more of a lead but they made several sloppy turnovers on bad ball handling and poor passing.

rtnorthrup
03-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Would Amaker ever consider leaving Harvard? I know he is very happy there, but he would be a fantastic hire for a ton of programs.

gus
03-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Would Amaker ever consider leaving Harvard? I know he is very happy there, but he would be a fantastic hire for a ton of programs.

After his experience at Michigan, I have to think he values what he has at Harvard quite a bit. But who knows?

burnspbesq
03-22-2013, 10:54 AM
I had Los Lobos to the Sweet 16, but was glad to see the news that Harvard took them out.

Harvard had a great game plan. They made Cesar Rosas shoot contested twos instead of letting him camp out beyond the arc, and they made it difficult to feed David Hidalgo in the post.

Bluedog
03-22-2013, 11:04 AM

After his experience at Michigan, I have to think he values what he has at Harvard quite a bit. But who knows?

His wife and 1982 Duke graduate, Dr. Stephanie Pinder-Amaker, also has a nice position at Harvard Medical School in their Department of Psychiatry, so I'm thinking Tommy will stay put at Harvard. He's got a good thing going there. (She also did her postdoctoral training at Duke Medical Center in '88-'89, although Tommy was gone by then...). I wanted to pick Harvard, but alas, didn't think they had much of a shot after they lost their best two players at the beginning of this year. Had Davidson as my 14-3 upset special instead (d'oh!). Congrats to the Crimson!

DukieInBrasil
03-22-2013, 11:18 AM
I mistakenly thought that NMSU was in the WCC, they're in the WAC. My opinion of the WCC is that they are vastly overrated, and consequently, despised them in my picks. So i picked NMSU to lose to Harvard (in one bracket i made) and to lose early in the other brackets i made. I think the committee was far too high on the "mid-major" conferences this year, and they'll lose a lot of their prestige in the NCAAT this year.
Otherwise, i am very happy for Tommy and Harvahd, it would be awesome to see them in the Sweet 16.
In a semi-related topic, i was happy to see Johnny D and Stanford win their first game in the NIT, perhaps they'll repeat as NIT champs. Certainly couldn't hurt Johnny's situation there.

sagegrouse
03-22-2013, 11:24 AM

His wife and 1982 Duke graduate, Dr. Stephanie Pinder-Amaker, also has a nice position at Harvard Medical School in their Department of Psychiatry, so I'm thinking Tommy will stay put at Harvard. He's got a good thing going there. (She also did her postdoctoral training at Duke Medical Center in '88-'89, although Tommy was gone by then...). I wanted to pick Harvard, but alas, didn't think they had much of a shot after they lost their best two players at the beginning of this year. Had Davidson as my 14-3 upset special instead (d'oh!). Congrats to the Crimson!

At some point economics will become a matter of importance for the Amakers, I expect, even though they can live more than comfortably under the current arrangements in Cambridge. And, of course, Harvard's $30 billion endowment can make anything affordable. To put basketball on a pedestal as a "high-interest" athletic program and give Tommy a truly competitive package makes a lot of sense to me, but it could cause fear and loathing throughout the athletic department and the University. It is hard to predict what will happen. Harvard did, however, alter its admissions standards (to be the same as the other Ivies) when Tommy was recruited, so it may have decided to compete nationally in basketball.

Fran Dunphy, who won everything in the Ivy League during his years at UPenn, had to move across town to Temple to make himself and his family financially secure.

sagegrouse
'And, of course, universities have mastered the art of hiding compensation data. Duke doesn't disclose all of what its doctors make, having the clinical earnings be a part of a private corporation. The earnings of the best-paid doctors at Duke (and, of course, at Harvard) dwarf what the university presidents make'

loran16
03-22-2013, 11:27 AM
I mistakenly thought that NMSU was in the WCC, they're in the WAC. My opinion of the WCC is that they are vastly overrated, and consequently, despised them in my picks. So i picked NMSU to lose to Harvard (in one bracket i made) and to lose early in the other brackets i made. I think the committee was far too high on the "mid-major" conferences this year, and they'll lose a lot of their prestige in the NCAAT this year.
Otherwise, i am very happy for Tommy and Harvahd, it would be awesome to see them in the Sweet 16.
In a semi-related topic, i was happy to see Johnny D and Stanford win their first game in the NIT, perhaps they'll repeat as NIT champs. Certainly couldn't hurt Johnny's situation there.

Okay a few things.

One: Individual game performances do not prove any conference overrated. Cal and UNLV for example have now played two games this season after last night - and the difference in scoring between the two has been 2 points. It's the same reason why when Duke loses to Maryland some percentage of the time - this doesn't mean Maryland is better. Underdogs are going to win some games simply because the odds of them doing so are NOT zero.

In short, the best teams don't always win and thus single tournament games don't prove a conference to be overrated or underrated.

sporthenry
03-22-2013, 11:30 AM

New Mexico is actually in the MWC, assuming you mean the team Harvard beat and not New Mexico State, the team St. Louis beat. The MWC is getting embarrassed with New Mexico, UNLV, and Boise State. Colorado State did beat Mizzou but the MWC has certainly been exposed and shows why RPI is a joke. The MWC was I believe the #1 RPI rated conference and apparently instead of playing RPI 200+ teams, they played D2 or NAIA opponents who didn't count against their RPI.

The WCC only has St. Mary's and Gonzaga. I thought St. Mary's had a good showing and was under-seeded but Gonzaga obviously didn't play a great game.

sporthenry
03-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Okay a few things.

One: Individual game performances do not prove any conference overrated. Cal and UNLV for example have now played two games this season after last night - and the difference in scoring between the two has been 2 points. It's the same reason why when Duke loses to Maryland some percentage of the time - this doesn't mean Maryland is better. Underdogs are going to win some games simply because the odds of them doing so are NOT zero.

In short, the best teams don't always win and thus single tournament games don't prove a conference to be overrated or underrated.

Sure, and if you watched the games like UNLV or New Mexico, you would have been embarrassed by the quality of the games. One game might not break a conference but the quality of play was obviously not very good.

loran16
03-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Sure, and if you watched the games like UNLV or New Mexico, you would have been embarrassed by the quality of the games. One game might not break a conference but the quality of play was obviously not very good.

If you watched Duke-Maryland, you'd have been embarrassed by the quality of the game. The quality of play was obviously not very good.

Clearly the ACC is a terrible conference that didn't deserve 4 bids.

sporthenry
03-22-2013, 11:52 AM
If you watched Duke-Maryland, you'd have been embarrassed by the quality of the game. The quality of play was obviously not very good.

Clearly the ACC is a terrible conference that didn't deserve 4 bids.

Alright, then we can use the rest of their resume. Let's see. Kenpom had New Mexico as 17th going into the game. Obviously he wasn't buying in when the committee had them 9th. He had UNLV 41st and they were a 5 seed. Again, the MWC gamed the RPI system and I guess if you think they were a great conference that is your prerogative but their OOC resumes weren't much better. New Mexico's best win was against a 10 seed Cincinatti. UNLV's best wins were Cal and ISU.

I'm not really sure what arguments can be made for the MWC, Kenpom and Sagarin had them at 5th and 6th respectively and the ACC was ahead of them yet they got in more teams.

CameronBlue
03-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Great Win for the Duke Family. Any time the Ivy League can advance in this tournament, it's a win for COLLEGE basketball and STUDENT-athletes, in general. So happy for Tommy Amaker and the Harvard team,and hope they continue to advance (even though I picked NMU to the Sweet 16). It also makes me think about rumors that Chris Collins is interviewing with Northwestern next week. He, too, will undoubtedly be a great head coach someday (...just hopefully in the distant future).

This is the bookend story to the sweet irony that Kentucky landed in the NIT this year. Another comment on the state of college basketball can be found here. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/08/business/08leonhardt.html?partner=yahoofinance&_r=0.

Nothing in the story will come as a surprise, the assault on College Basketball's "collegiality" has been underway for years from influences both external and internal (perhaps the tritest statement ever written) but you always hope that at minimum, when the guys take the court however questionable their status as "STUDENT-athletes", the game is played within the damn rules. (Sigh).

"You can probably guess where this is going. Mr. Wolfers has collected the results of nearly every college basketball game over the last 16 years. In a surprisingly large number of them, it turns out that heavy favorites just miss covering the spread. He considered a number of other explanations, but he thinks there is only one that can explain the pattern. Point shaving appears to be occurring in about 5 percent of all games with large spreads. "

Rudy
03-22-2013, 03:05 PM
At some point economics will become a matter of importance for the Amakers, I expect, even though they can live more than comfortably under the current arrangements in Cambridge. And, of course, Harvard's $30 billion endowment can make anything affordable. To put basketball on a pedestal as a "high-interest" athletic program and give Tommy a truly competitive package makes a lot of sense to me, but it could cause fear and loathing throughout the athletic department and the University. It is hard to predict what will happen. Harvard did, however, alter its admissions standards (to be the same as the other Ivies) when Tommy was recruited, so it may have decided to compete nationally in basketball.

Fran Dunphy, who won everything in the Ivy League during his years at UPenn, had to move across town to Temple to make himself and his family financially secure.

sagegrouse
'And, of course, universities have mastered the art of hiding compensation data. Duke doesn't disclose all of what its doctors make, having the clinical earnings be a part of a private corporation. The earnings of the best-paid doctors at Duke (and, of course, at Harvard) dwarf what the university presidents make'
For us Yalies, Harvard is the Kerlina of the North. After a few decades of separation, I can finally be happy for the Johns for elevating Ivy League sports and for Amaker. However big Harvard's endowment is, the university is just not going to be economically competitive with real Division I schools in paying Amaker. I would be astonished if he's making anywhere near what Steve Donahue is making at BC.

Bluedog mentioned Amaker's wife as a professor in the med school. I hope it wasn't a suggestion that her position is linked to his. The fact that she's doing well professionally may make economic pressure a non-factor in any move Tommy might want to make. BC is the only major college basketball program in Boston that I can think of, so it's not like Philadelphia in having local choices in upgrading. He's young enough maybe to want to move back into the top tier of college basketball coaching. But then again, he might have had enough of that at Michigan and may be just as happy to leave all that BS behind. I wouldn't blame him either way.

-bdbd
03-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Stayed up late to watch the end of the Harvard - NM game. His kids are clearly well-coached and played a composed brand of BB. Lots of plaudits justifiably being sent Tommy's way. And he has built up a real "Ivy juggernaut" in Cambridge. Some great recruits in the Crimson truck. Some more good things still to come. Was it just me, BTW, or did he look like he's aged a lot in the last few years (I saw him at the press conferencence - well-spoken as always. Maybe it was just the short haircut.)

Tommy's wife is clearly well thought of. She was also, during his time in Michigan, a Dean (of Student Affairs I believe) at UM. I had friends there who told me, in the middle of their stay there, that she was even better thought of than him. And that was when he was still popular there. BTW, I hated to hear Vitale even bring Michigan up in his post-game comments, even if it was to say "that stuff at Michigan was way overblown." I'm sure most of the audience was left asking, "WHAT stuff?"

sagegrouse

I just can't imagine Harvard ever allowing Basketball to have a pedestal even remotely approaching that of academics. He is making them proud, but there are cringes when you hear "basketball players" and "academic scandal" even mentioned in the same sentence, even though it was a much wider incident than just BB. Two years ago there was also some bad press when a couple former assistants griped to the media about "Amaker lowering Harvard's acasemic standards" (even though it was "down" to the same level as the rest of the league...). I do think they'll leave eventually - heck, his success there probably even puts him back inbto the K-successor conversation - but I think it would have to be the right "fit." Not like they are likely to leave Harvard to go Coach/work at Florida or Syracuse or some such.

For us Yalies, Harvard is the Kerlina of the North. After a few decades of separation, I can finally be happy for the Johns for elevating Ivy League sports and for Amaker. However big Harvard's endowment is, the university is just not going to be economically competitive with real Division I schools in paying Amaker. I would be astonished if he's making anywhere near what Steve Donahue is making at BC.

Bluedog mentioned Amaker's wife as a professor in the med school. I hope it wasn't a suggestion that her position is linked to his. The fact that she's doing well professionally may make economic pressure a non-factor in any move Tommy might want to make. BC is the only major college basketball program in Boston that I can think of, so it's not like Philadelphia in having local choices in upgrading. He's young enough maybe to want to move back into the top tier of college basketball coaching. But then again, he might have had enough of that at Michigan and may be just as happy to leave all that BS behind. I wouldn't blame him either way.

There is a fine line between nepotism and a "prior arrangement." I understood that she was interviewed, etc at Michigan and it was expected that she was coming onboard at Michigan by the time he inked there, coming from Seton Hall. Clearly she is very deserving, etc., but hard to imagine that her husband is going to accept a move to someplace relatively remote - and many schools are in remote locales - without SOME sort of prior assurance of her finding a position there. If she's deserving, which she is, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

duke79
03-22-2013, 03:56 PM

I've never heard speculation as to what he might be getting paid to coach at Harvard. I'm guessing it is not even close to what Coach K, or Roy Williams or Calipari or the other coaches at the top basketball schools are making. Is $500,000/year a realistic guess? Although I'm sure he is paid more than any other head coach at Harvard. However, not knowing Tommy personally, I have no clue if he is motivated primarily by money. It seems to me he has a fairly sweet deal coaching at the "world's greatest university." Obviously, he has done a good job, given the limitations on recruiting and academic restrictions there. With the stature of school helping to bring in top recruits, though, I'm sure he has set up Harvard to be a perennial powerhouse in the Ivy League, if he decides to stay. And they may have some success in the NCAA tournament (see yesterday's win) in good years. He may never have a Final Four team, but who knows. I frankly don't see him leaving, unless one of the truly elite programs comes calling for him. He may also be waiting for the day that Coach K retires to see if Duke has any interest in bringing him back as the head coach. Whatever happens, I wish him good luck. He seems like a class act.

sagegrouse
03-22-2013, 04:37 PM
I just can't imagine Harvard ever allowing Basketball to have a pedestal even remotely approaching that of academics. He is making them proud, but there are cringes when you hear "basketball players" and "academic scandal" even mentioned in the same sentence, even though it was a much wider incident than just BB. Two years ago there was also some bad press when a couple former assistants griped to the media about "Amaker lowering Harvard's acasemic standards" (even though it was "down" to the same level as the rest of the league...). I do think they'll leave eventually - heck, his success there probably even puts him back inbto the K-successor conversation - but I think it would have to be the right "fit." Not like they are likely to leave Harvard to go Coach/work at Florida or Syracuse or some such.

There is a fine line between nepotism and a "prior arrangement." I understood that she was interviewed, etc at Michigan and it was expected that she was coming onboard at Michigan by the time he inked there, coming from Seton Hall. Clearly she is very deserving, etc., but hard to imagine that her husband is going to accept a move to someplace relatively remote - and many schools are in remote locales - without SOME sort of prior assurance of her finding a position there. If she's deserving, which she is, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

WRT the status of athletics vs. academics, I fully agree. Nevertheless, there is something called a market compensation package. The head of the fund that invests all those bucks for the colossal endowment receives huge compensation. And the faculty will b*tch about anything -- as will any faculty, anywhere. Question is, can Harvard arrange for Amaker to receive over a million coaching, one way or another? I'm sure the money can be found from alumni sources tired of losing. If they won't, I predict he will leave. Professional coaches (lawyers, doctors, professors, MBA's) keep score based, in part, on compensation. Huge differences are tough to ignore.

WRT your comment "a fine line between nepotism and a 'prior arrangement,'' I would disagree strongly. These days, in business, academia and medicine, it is an absolutely common problem to deal with spousal employment issues in recruiting senior staff. I don't think there is a fine line at all -- entities will move heaven and earth to find a spouse a job that is professionally attractive. And most people, not just Jerry Seinfeld, think, "Not that there is anything wrong with it."

sagegrouse

devildeac
03-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Go Hahvahd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27PSHASlGUU