PDA

View Full Version : Broadcasting the NCAAs

dukechem
03-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Will we even get to see much of this game? CBS usually switches to a more competitive game when the score gets out of hand. If we see the whole game, it may not be one we want to see. I suppose you guys who watch on your iPhone can see the whole game.

hurleyfor3
03-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Will we even get to see much of this game? CBS usually switches to a more competitive game when the score gets out of hand. If we see the whole game, it may not be one we want to see. I suppose you guys who watch on your iPhone can see the whole game.

I think that's the pre-2011 cbs, when games were on only one channel.

Cameron
03-18-2013, 11:26 AM

Every game of the NCAA Tournament is now broadcast in its entirety on one of four channels -- CBS, TruTV, TBS and Nickelodeon (I think). Some channel or another.

So, as long as you have a good cable or satellite package, you should be golden.

tbyers11
03-18-2013, 11:26 AM

With all 4 games being televised on separate networks (CBS, TNT, TBS and TruTV) I thought the feeds were pretty much dedicated to their particular game of choice. I must admit though that I didn't follow this super closely last year after our early exit

TNDukeFan
03-18-2013, 11:27 AM

If you don't get all the cable channels, CBS is streaming everything online.

Saratoga2
03-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Other alternatives to calling out sick on Friday include ncaa.com if your lucky enough to work in a branch office like me without a boss looking over your shoulder. Can also have the misfortune of having your car breakdown on your lunch break right next to a bar or if your in sales my favorite "ficticious appointment" from 12 to 230

With 16 games being played Friday CBS will no doubt switch around to the closer games. If Duke pulls far enough ahead, we won't see much of the gamde.

Saratoga2
03-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Every game of the NCAA Tournament is now broadcast in its entirety on one of four channels -- CBS, TruTV, TBS and Nickelodeon (I think). Some channel or another.

So, as long as you have a good cable or satellite package, you should be golden.

I didn't know that. Will have to check my package.

DukeAlumBS
03-18-2013, 12:34 PM
my friend,
Upstate NY will see it on Channel 4, or 606 if not on 4. Or ESPN. The ACC channel is 606 or 4 during the season.
Just for your information.

Nice day my friend

Jimmy

sagegrouse
03-18-2013, 12:39 PM
With 16 games being played Friday CBS will no doubt switch around to the closer games. If Duke pulls far enough ahead, we won't see much of the gamde.

Between the CBS and TNT-type channels (TNT, TBS and SPIKE, I believe), there are enough channels to cover every game in its entirety. IIRC it is better to be on one of the subsidiary channels because Big CBS is likely to bail on a one-sided game.

sagegrouse

Indoor66
03-18-2013, 12:51 PM
In my area the Duke game will be on TRu - Comcast Channel 398. That is the Pompano Beach, FL Comcast.

Kfanarmy
03-18-2013, 01:04 PM
...Will have to check my package.
Please, not in front of the kids!
:p

OldPhiKap
03-18-2013, 01:11 PM
I didn't know that. Will have to check my package.

If it gets television reception for more than four hours, you better call your doctor or pharmacist.

subzero02
03-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Between the CBS and TNT-type channels (TNT, TBS and SPIKE, I believe), there are enough channels to cover every game in its entirety. IIRC it is better to be on one of the subsidiary channels because Big CBS is likely to bail on a one-sided game.

sagegrouse

Yeah... That's the scenario. If we are blowing out albany, cbs might bail... The good thing is, there are only 2 games that will overlap ours... 12:40pm wisconsin/ole miss and 1:40pm nc state/temple... There is 2:10 miami vs. Pacific but we should have albany put away by then.

juise
03-18-2013, 01:36 PM
If it gets television reception for more than four hours, you better call your doctor or pharmacist.

Ask your doctor is March Madness is right for you.

(As usual, I'm maxed out on positive feedback for you. So I had to write a reply. This was brilliant.)

sagegrouse
03-18-2013, 01:43 PM
In my area the Duke game will be on TRu - Comcast Channel 398. That is the Pompano Beach, FL Comcast.

Yeah... That's the scenario. If we are blowing out albany, cbs might bail... The good thing is, there are only 2 games that will overlap ours... 12:40pm wisconsin/ole miss and 1:40pm nc state/temple... There is 2:10 miami vs. Pacific but we should have albany put away by then.

DirecTV hasn't posted game details as yet, but the channels appear to be local CBS, TNT/ch 245, TRU-TV/246, TBS/247 and CBS Sports Net/ 613.

sagegrouse

davekay1971
03-18-2013, 01:51 PM

As your doctor if your heart is healthy enough for March Madness. Do not view March Madness if you take nitrates for chest pain.

We could go on and on (actually, that's the whole point...)

-jk
03-18-2013, 01:56 PM
I believe our game is on CBS (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules).

-jk

nocilla
03-18-2013, 02:03 PM

I think the point of putting the games on the 4 networks was to avoid the switching to other games. There is no need for CBS to switch to a closer game when it is already being broadcast on another channel. They may give you a live look in or something, but for the most part, they will show all the games in their entirety.

Son of Jarhead
03-18-2013, 02:21 PM

Really, who was the doofus who decided to have the games involving two teams, Duke & NC State, who share the same TV market should tip-off less than an hour & a half apart???

tbyers11
03-18-2013, 02:48 PM
I believe our game is on CBS (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules).

-jk

I think the point of putting the games on the 4 networks was to avoid the switching to other games. There is no need for CBS to switch to a closer game when it is already being broadcast on another channel. They may give you a live look in or something, but for the most part, they will show all the games in their entirety.

The link -jk posted has all the channels for each game. As nocilla said, minus the live look-ins, each game will be shown in its entirety on the network listed. If Duke is up 20 with 5 minutes left (hopefully), CBS will show the completion of the game. I am 99% certain that channels listed in -jk's link are locked in nationally as well. Meaning regardless of cable/satellite provider or location everyone in the country will watch Duke/Albany on CBS. They got rid of regional broadcasts when they began showing all 4 games in each time slot on 4 channels.

DirecTV hasn't posted game details as yet, but the channels appear to be local CBS, TNT/ch 245, TRU-TV/246, TBS/247 and CBS Sports Net/ 613.

sagegrouse

There are no live games shown on CBS Sports Network. They may have analysis and highlights but no actual game action. All games will be shown on the other 4 channels.

Bluedog
03-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Really, who was the doofus who decided to have the games involving two teams, Duke & NC State, who share the same TV market should tip-off less than an hour & a half apart???

Duke is really a national draw - although people in the Raleigh-Durham area certainly have a higher concentration of Duke fans than other places, it's not like NC State where the network relies more heavily on those individuals to watch the game. I'm sure there are more people interested in watching the Duke game in NYC than RD.

subzero02
03-18-2013, 03:56 PM

In an ideal world they would do this but since CBS is the "base channel" I think they have dropped blowouts in the past for more competitive games($$$)... If the game were a blowout on one of the subchannels( spike or trutv) they would be much less likely to switch and might have the policy of not switching at all

UrinalCake
03-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but last year CBS charged $5 to watch the games online if you don't also have a cable TV subscription with your ISP. It was a horrendously complicated pricing structure that made little sense. I assume they'll do the same this year. Still, five bucks is not a bad deal to get all of the games, including mobile access.

NashvilleDevil
03-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but last year CBS charged $5 to watch the games online if you don't also have a cable TV subscription with your ISP. It was a horrendously complicated pricing structure that made little sense. I assume they'll do the same this year. Still, five bucks is not a bad deal to get all of the games, including mobile access.

This year to watch games on the apps for tablets and phones you have to have your login for your cable provider.

UrinalCake
03-18-2013, 09:17 PM
This year to watch games on the apps for tablets and phones you have to have your login for your cable provider.

Wow, it looks like they are not offering ANY online access at all to non-TV subscribers, either via mobile or desktop. I guess the cable companies want them to put pressure on people to pay for cable TV. What a ripoff.

http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/help

NashvilleDevil
03-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Wow, it looks like they are not offering ANY online access at all to non-TV subscribers, either via mobile or desktop. I guess the cable companies want them to put pressure on people to pay for cable TV. What a ripoff.

http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/help

Cable trying to hold on. I believe more and more people are doing away with cable and there are other ways to access the games on your computer. Honestly I would pay $20 for the app to watch the games. They should just keep raising the price of the app.

TNDukeFan
03-19-2013, 06:27 AM
Cable trying to hold on. I believe more and more people are doing away with cable and there are other ways to access the games on your computer. Honestly I would pay $20 for the app to watch the games. They should just keep raising the price of the app.

I think -- think -- that according to the link, the CBS feed will be free even without cable. For any other station's feed, you have four hours free, then you're out of luck if you don't have cable. So you could save your four hours for Duke games, and for the rest, it'll be like the old days when we were stuck with whatever CBS decided to show.

Of course, then there's a new problem once Duke gets to the Sweet Sixteen...:)

TNDukeFan
03-19-2013, 09:05 AM
I think -- think -- that according to the link, the CBS feed will be free even without cable. For any other station's feed, you have four hours free, then you're out of luck if you don't have cable. So you could save your four hours for Duke games, and for the rest, it'll be like the old days when we were stuck with whatever CBS decided to show.

Of course, then there's a new problem once Duke gets to the Sweet Sixteen...:)

Just thought I'd follow up. I spent some time Googling and surfing and I think what I said above is true. CBS will stream what they're showing without asking for authentication. The other channels, not so much. Other than four free hours, you'll need cable or a pirated stream.

To quote one of many articles -

"For the first time, March Madness is going to require authentication for any game that’s shown on cable. This means that you’ll have to log in with your cable TV subscription account if the game you want to watch is airing on TBS, TNT or truTV. Games that are available on CBS will still be available without logging in."

nocilla
03-19-2013, 10:25 AM
In an ideal world they would do this but since CBS is the "base channel" I think they have dropped blowouts in the past for more competitive games($$$)... If the game were a blowout on one of the subchannels( spike or trutv) they would be much less likely to switch and might have the policy of not switching at all

Well last year was the first year of them using 4 channels, so most of the past doesn't apply. I only get the local CBS and I seem to remember them not switching to a more competitive game last year when I wanted them to. The purpose of the 4 channels is to show all the games in their entirety.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Just thought I'd follow up. I spent some time Googling and surfing and I think what I said above is true. CBS will stream what they're showing without asking for authentication. The other channels, not so much. Other than four free hours, you'll need cable or a pirated stream.

To quote one of many articles -

"For the first time, March Madness is going to require authentication for any game that’s shown on cable. This means that you’ll have to log in with your cable TV subscription account if the game you want to watch is airing on TBS, TNT or truTV. Games that are available on CBS will still be available without logging in."

The pricing model makes sense. You can get your CBS over the air for free, but you have to pay to watch a cable network. Why shoud the app be any different?

I'm now just trying to figure out if I take a long lunch or go ahead with a half day vacation on Friday.