PDA

View Full Version : If Duke couldn't win it all

Chris Randolph
03-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Of course all of us are cheering Duke on in hopes they will win the national championship. But if you took Duke out of the tournament, before any games are played, what one team would you want to win the national championship?

Dev11
03-18-2013, 02:36 PM
But let me be the first to tell you that that ain't happening.

uh_no
03-18-2013, 02:41 PM
1. Butler
2. Armageddon

wallyman
03-18-2013, 02:43 PM
But could live with Gonzaga.

BlueDevilinNYC
03-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Just because of this article Grantland put out last year. Really admired the determination of this scrappy team.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7677765/championship-week-ncaa-tournament-bound-south-dakota-state-jackrabbits

Plus how awesome is a Jackrabbit?

gcashwell
03-18-2013, 03:04 PM
1. Butler
2. St. Louis (scrappy, tough team that plays proper basketball)

Since UK did not make the tournament, it is already successful in my eyes.

throatybeard
03-18-2013, 03:24 PM
1. Butler
2. St. Louis (scrappy, tough team that plays proper basketball)

Since UK did not make the tournament, it is already successful in my eyes.

Absolutely either of the above. The way this SLU program has come back from Majerus' death is amazing.

wsb3
03-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Davidson or the Zags..

bluedevil007
03-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Butler
New Mexico
Gonzaga
St. Louis

I would be happy for any of these programs to win.

78Devil
03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
If I limit it to the "most likely", it would be Miami. It is good for us in the long run for the ACC to do well. How refreshing to be able to root for an ACC team that is not UNC! I always tell myself I NEED to root fo UNC for our conference's sake (when its not against us or another ACC team), but I just can't make myself do it.

Miami has worked hard, and since we split with them, it would be no shame to see them win it all.

One of the nice things this year is that only one of the 3 "evil triumverate" (UNC, Kentucky and UConn) are even in the tournament, and UNC is not much of a threat. So for once, I won't be dreading seeing who wins if we are out of it.

One exception -- I don't "hate" Florida, but I sure don't want Donovan to get a 3rd Championship before Coach K has a 5th.

JNort
03-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Butler or NC State

luburch
03-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Indiana, Harvard, Butler, Gonzaga.

wallyman
03-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Could live with any of these except Harvard. Would be nice for Amaker, but can you imagine how insufferable Harvard would be and the full-bore media slobber that would ensue? Too bad they can't beat UK in the NIT. That would be fun.

moonpie23
03-18-2013, 04:03 PM
if they are going to vacate some banners down the road, may as well have one more up there to vacate........

i said "IF"

wait.......i didn't write that........

i'll say butler

Dev11
03-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Everybody saying Butler is just driving up Brad Stevens's contract value when he succeeds K in 6 years.

[/DBR pipe dreams]

tommy
03-18-2013, 04:26 PM
One of the nice things this year is that only one of the 3 "evil triumverate" (UNC, Kentucky and UConn) are even in the tournament, and UNC is not much of a threat. So for once, I won't be dreading seeing who wins if we are out of it.

One exception -- I don't "hate" Florida, but I sure don't want Donovan to get a 3rd Championship before Coach K has a 5th.

Could not agree more. It's one of the real anxiety producers for me each year, as at the same time I'm trying to root the Devils home, I'm also focused on making sure those "evil 3" get knocked off too, or else it's a double nightmare. I also put Baylor in that category, thanks to Scott Drew, but thankfully they're not even in it this year.

I don't want Donovan getting a third either, and I always root against Arizona too. Pretty much anyone else is OK w/ me. I'd love to see any non-BCS conference team win it with the possible exception of Memphis. No evidence, but just don't seem clean to me.

captmojo
03-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Yes, Jackrabbits is a cool mascot. Only 'cause the Banana Slugs are absent.
Harvard.
NC State
Whoever that put Duke out. I would prefer to think that if I couldn't win against that team, guess what? Your bunch didn't win against them either.

BlueDevilCorvette!
03-18-2013, 04:40 PM
North Carolina A & T

Mal
03-18-2013, 05:09 PM
I'd take anyone seeded 13 or higher other than Albany, of course, and be happy to pull for pretty much any non-BCS conference team (or Big East non-football school) seeded better than that, other than Creighton, of course. And there seem to be a lot of those this year. Butler, Gonzaga, New Mexico (and State), St. Louis, VCU, Bucknell, SDSU, Belmont, UNLV, etc.

It's probably easier to list those I just couldn't stomach than those I could, as I'm an unabashed hater and see through those glasses. A good number of the nemeses like UCon and Kentucky aren't even here this year and there aren't that many plain unlikeables. I mean, look at the East: I pretty much hate IU although I don't necessarily hate Crean or his team; even though I despise the institution, out of ACC pride I wouldn't be terribly upset if Miami made the Final Four. And those are the only two teams I can get even a little worked up about coming out of the region. I wouldn't jump for joy if Syracuse or UNLV made it, but I wouldn't curse, either.

In order, here are my tiers of hate, then:

- Wisconsin, UNC
- Notre Dame
- Indiana, Kansas, Louisville, Florida, Michigan State
- any SEC school, Cincinnati

If it can't be us, eliminate those 10 or 12 teams and I'll nevertheless be nothing but smiles and rah rahs for the Final Four. Too bad three of them are 1 seeds!

turnandburn55
03-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Could not agree more. It's one of the real anxiety producers for me each year, as at the same time I'm trying to root the Devils home, I'm also focused on making sure those "evil 3" get knocked off too, or else it's a double nightmare. I also put Baylor in that category, thanks to Scott Drew, but thankfully they're not even in it this year.

I don't want Donovan getting a third either, and I always root against Arizona too. Pretty much anyone else is OK w/ me. I'd love to see any non-BCS conference team win it with the possible exception of Memphis. No evidence, but just don't seem clean to me.

I think Kansas would rapidly become insufferable as well if they won it all. Not real keen on Pitino winning a ring either.

MarkD83
03-18-2013, 05:15 PM
You mean they keep playing the tournament after Duke is eliminated!!!!!!

Now I understand why no one wanted to play golf with me in late March in every year but 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2010 (did I miss a year). (By the way my golf game was really good between 2005 and 2009.)

ynotme32
03-18-2013, 07:14 PM
I am not sure which team I would choose, I can tell you who I would pick NOT to win it....

ANY Big Ten team (tired of hearing how great they are as a conference, remember they went 6-6 against the ACC in the challenge)
ANY Big East team (don't want to see the winning team of the tourney scoring 50 ppg, yes I exaggerated)
ANY SEC team (meaning Florida, not too worried about the rest of those teams)
ANY team wearing light blue (obvious reasons, that color makes me sick)
Kansas (sick of them bragging about winning all their conference titles, against weaker competition year in year out)

So, there you have it, outside of that I can live with just about anyone else. Should be fun....

Chard
03-18-2013, 07:28 PM
The U!!!!!!!

Then maybe nc st.

MartyClark
03-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Of course all of us are cheering Duke on in hopes they will win the national championship. But if you took Duke out of the tournament, before any games are played, what one team would you want to win the national championship?

I've tried. I just can't do it with any enthusiasm.

I'd have to say Colorado as unlikely as it is. Colorado State a close second.

hudlow
03-18-2013, 07:50 PM
ABC...

juise
03-18-2013, 07:59 PM
ABC...

Especially true this year with UK and UCon(n) out of the running.

Newton_14
03-18-2013, 09:47 PM
I would go
NC State
Miami
Butler

We also have the new ACC teams that will join the family soon in Pitt, ND (Brey), Syracuse, Louisville...,

Who they are playing will factor in as well. I could be pulling against a team moreso than pulling for their opponent.

Pulling against
UNC
Kansas (anything that makes Ol Roy happy makes me sad. Sticker gate and all)
Big 10 (outside of OSU. I could live with them winning it)

weezie
03-18-2013, 10:16 PM
I would go Faber College.
No other school appeals to me.

mderderi84
03-18-2013, 11:47 PM
ABC always.

Also, out of all the realistic title contenders: Wouldn't mind if New Mexico or Saint Louis won it all.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-19-2013, 12:00 AM
But we ARE in it, and we WILL WIN IT. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif We don't need to speculate or hypothesise any farther than that! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

matt1
03-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Any ACC Team (or future ACC team) not named UNC
Any Philly Team
Any MWC Team
Any A-10 Team
Any team we beat (except UNC)
Colorado
Iowa St.
Oklahoma
Mizzou
Georgetown
Bucknell
Illinois
Any team seeded 12 or lower

Some teams obviously qualify under several criteria.

mo.st.dukie
03-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Of the teams that have the best chance I wouldn't mind seeing Louisville (if they beat us), Gonzaga, Indiana, Miami, or Georgetown win it all. Those teams haven't won titles in a long, long time and a couple of them won't be in a position to win another one for a long, long time.

Do not want to see Kansas, Florida, or Michigan State anywhere near the title game (same goes for UNC of course but the chances of them getting there are slim). The earlier those 3 teams lose the better IMO. Don't want to hear all the slobbering over Self winning 2 in however many years (and here in KC it would be even more annoying) or Donovan winning 3 in however many years or all of Izzo's Final Fours.

throatybeard
03-19-2013, 12:57 AM
I'd sooner root for Carolina than Miami.

Go Wolfpack.

BigZ
03-19-2013, 04:01 AM
I like State but imagine how annoying their fans would be...

jv001
03-19-2013, 09:36 AM
In this order:

Liberty
NC A&T
Saint Louis U
NC State Wolfpack
Havard

But GoDuke!

PSurprise
03-19-2013, 09:39 AM
I'd want every other team in the tournament to have played with ineligible players and so the title would come to us. (Don't think this would be the case, would it?? But one could hope...)

Lord Ash
03-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Am I allowed to answer "I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.?" If so, there is my answer.

If not, Harvard.

Billy Dat
03-19-2013, 10:06 AM
I would go Faber College.
No other school appeals to me.

I hear their starting center, Niedemeyer, plays dirty.

I am going to go with Iona because they are closest to where I live and I could drive to their quads and try and get them to burn benches. And when campus security spots a middle aged dude creepily trying to join the party and asks me to leave, I will question why I ever posted this note, but until then...

If we're trying to be more realistic, I'll go with the Cinderella St. Louis Billikins in memory of Fat Rick.

captmojo
03-19-2013, 10:15 AM
I'd sooner root for Carolina than Miami.

Go Wolfpack.

Nevada got in? I missed it. :D

On a non-related subject as for the selection committee, the answer was given to Flounder right after the group wrecked his brother's car.

Sorry for the digression but it was an unprinted thought of mine during the announcements, Sunday night.