PDA

View Full Version : 2013 National Invitation Tournament

ynotme32
03-17-2013, 10:00 PM
here is a link to the NIT brackets....

http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/2013NITBracket.pdf

throatybeard
03-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Congratulations to the University of Kentucky on their #1 seed.

hurleyfor3
03-17-2013, 11:36 PM
JD gets the Six Million Dollar Man.

Are all the games at the homecourt of the better seed?

Blue KevIL
03-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Are all the games at the homecourt of the better seed?

On that linked PDF, Home Teams are in CAPS.

Normally, the better seed hosts, but Kentucky declined to host in its smaller gym due to the fact the NCAA 2nd/3rd Rounds will be hosted at Rupp Arena.
They did not have enough personnel available to run games at two arenas -- so they will play at Robert Morris.

Bummer for them.

uh_no
03-17-2013, 11:49 PM
On that PDF, Home Teams are in CAPS.

Normally, the better seed hosts, but Kentucky declined to host in its smaller gym due to the fact the NCAA 2nd/3rd Rounds will hosted at Rupp Arena.
They did not have enough personnel available to run games at two arenas -- so they will play at Robert Morris.

Bummer for them.

lolololol

wow....that's hilariously awesome

hurleyfor3
03-18-2013, 12:04 AM
Normally, the better seed hosts, but Kentucky declined to host in its smaller gym due to the fact the NCAA 2nd/3rd Rounds will be hosted at Rupp Arena.

The Robert Morris in Pittsburgh? Please tell me that's at RMC's actual home court, which is a glorified high school gym.

Blue KevIL
03-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Similarly, Texas has the same problem, but not quite.

The Longhorns cannot host its game against Houston in the College Basketball Invitational because its arena is also in use for the 2nd/3rd Rounds of the NCAA Tourney.

http://www.gazellegroup.com/lock/0319202013.pdf

Not bad for the top athletic department in the NCAA in terms of dollars spent.

Blue KevIL
03-18-2013, 12:09 AM
The Robert Morris in Pittsburgh? Please tell me that's at RMC's actual home court, which is a glorified high school gym.

Yep, in the Sewall Center -- Robert Morris shouldn't worry about not selling out -- the Cats travel well.
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/college/basketball/robert-morris-to-host-kentucky-in-nit/article_9b1e651c-8f74-11e2-809b-001a4bcf6878.html

throatybeard
03-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Similarly, Texas has the same problem, but not quite.

The Longhorns cannot host its game against Houston in the College Basketball Invitational because its arena is also in use for the 2nd/3rd Rounds of the NCAA Tourney.

http://www.gazellegroup.com/lock/0319202013.pdf

Not bad for the top athletic department in the NCAA in terms of dollars spent.

I can think of no school more deserving of such a fate.

hurleyfor3
03-18-2013, 12:17 AM
That's hilarious. The Kentucky Wildcats, defending national champions, are playing their next game in here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/SewallCenter2.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's an adequate facility for RM's needs. But it's one step up from having the backboards mounted on the walls with padding directly underneath.

juise
03-18-2013, 12:18 AM
I can think of no school more deserving of such a fate.

I wonder if any of those big-time recruits will be in attendance. Julius Randle, this could be you!

-bdbd
03-18-2013, 12:27 AM
After the ACC was treated so poorly by the committee it is nice to at least see three ACC teams get picked up here, and recent decent seeds/match-ups. Also nice to see JD's Cardnial squad get a 4-seed, though Bama will be a tough match-up in the second round... Anything that Johnny can do here to improve his jobv security?

I could see any/all of the ACC's three - UVA, MD, FSU - getting hot and winning the NIT... FWIW.

throatybeard
03-18-2013, 12:27 AM
I wonder if any of those big-time recruits will be in attendance. Julius Randle, this could be you!

Maybe Gail Goestenkors could coach these fellas and have more success than she did with the Lone Star dames. I'd like to see the 30 for 30 about it, anyway.

markbdevil
03-18-2013, 10:55 AM

More important, will Ashley Judd be in attendance.

Ichabod Drain
03-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Let's go Mercer Bears!!!!!!!

devildeac
03-18-2013, 02:56 PM
That's hilarious. The Kentucky Wildcats, defending national champions, are playing their next game in here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/SewallCenter2.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's an adequate facility for RM's needs. But it's one step up from having the backboards mounted on the walls with padding directly underneath.

I think they'll probably pull the bleachers out for some extra seating and remove all the other baskets/goals from around the main court;):rolleyes:.

That's pretty damn funny though.

juise
03-18-2013, 08:01 PM
I think they'll probably pull the bleachers out for some extra seating and remove all the other baskets/goals from around the main court;):rolleyes:.

That's pretty damn funny though.

It's really not much better with the bleachers pulled out (http://www.nationofblue.com/robert-morris-gym-has-3056-seats/).

hurleyfor3
03-18-2013, 08:07 PM
I can imagine a Kentucky fan going out there, picking up his ticket and thinking, "All it says is, 'Grandstand B'. Isn't there supposed to be a row number or something?"

pfrduke
03-18-2013, 09:17 PM
I can imagine a Kentucky fan going out there, picking up his ticket and thinking

Your anecdote lost plausibility at this point...

devildeac
03-18-2013, 09:45 PM
It's really not much better with the bleachers pulled out (http://www.nationofblue.com/robert-morris-gym-has-3056-seats/).

Well, they did remove all the practice goals from around the main court;):p.

OldPhiKap
03-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Well, they did remove all the practice goals from around the main court;):p.

Robert Morris holding its own against KY early

Billy Dat
03-19-2013, 09:02 PM
This is NUTS, Robert Morris up 9 with 13 to go. This is good evidence for why high major programs don't like to play true road games against mid to low majors!!!!!!!!! Apparently, this is right where Cal grew up, his Mom worked at this school.

FerryFor50
03-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Will be glad when Kentucky's season ends.

FerryFor50
03-19-2013, 09:24 PM
This is NUTS, Robert Morris up 9 with 13 to go. This is good evidence for why high major programs don't like to play true road games against mid to low majors!!!!!!!!! Apparently, this is right where Cal grew up, his Mom worked at this school.

Robert Morris is in meltdown mode now with the flagrant foul after a bad turnover.

moonpie23
03-19-2013, 09:25 PM
THROWING the game away............flagrant foul,

Billy Dat
03-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Can they make one or two more plays - a bucket and a stop - and pull this out?

Ben1029
03-19-2013, 09:32 PM
I'm not watching the game, just looking at the box score and Cauley-Stein who is 7' tall, does not have a double-double. The tallest guy on the RM roster is 6-9. How is that happening.

Billy Dat
03-19-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm not watching the game, just looking at the box score and Cauley-Stein who is 7' tall, does not have a double-double. The tallest guy on the RM roster is 6-9. How is that happening.

When is the last time Kentucky played on a court that had volleyball lines drawn on it?!? In all seriousness, I only watched the final 13-14 minutes and it was the classic upset...the little guy was tougher, quicker, etc. and just held on long enough to hold off the Kentucky comeback.

rsvman
03-19-2013, 09:36 PM
They are down two, last minute, they have the ball.

Goodwin ties it up

Billy Dat
03-19-2013, 09:37 PM
They are down two, last minute, they have the ball.

Goodwin ties it up

Goodwin has taken over since they almost took his head off on that flagrant. What can Morris do off this timeout with 5 on the clock? This is setting up for a Morris miss and a Goodwin game winner....I hope I am wrong.

rsvman
03-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Robert Morris shooting free throws with 8.7 seconds left. Game tied

Billy Dat
03-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Great out of bounds play by Morris coach, Andrew Toole...who looks about 19.

rsvman
03-19-2013, 09:40 PM
How the mighty have fallen!

Billy Dat
03-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Storm the court - you deserve it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FerryFor50
03-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Awesome. Have fun watching the tournament from your couches Kentucky!

Sir Stealth
03-19-2013, 09:43 PM
2012 ACC Champ Florida St. loses at home to Louisiana Tech....yuck.

Ben1029
03-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Just saw this on twitter

https://twitter.com/SportsNation/status/314190884386267136

OldPhiKap
03-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Just saw this on twitter

Awwww ---- see ya!

burnspbesq
03-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Awwww ---- see ya!

If those tweets are authentic, put the Kentucky women's coach on suicide watch. That's the number one prospect in the women's class of 2014 mocking Kentucky.

OldPhiKap
03-19-2013, 10:01 PM
If those tweets are authentic, put the Kentucky women's coach on suicide watch. That's the number one prospect in the women's class of 2014 mocking Kentucky.

Good catch, although she DID have four teary-face icons. Which, the kids tell me, is the appropriate number to move beyond flat-out irony and into ambiguous mockery.

moonpie23
03-19-2013, 10:19 PM
i hope this doesn't knock our RPI down.

NashvilleDevil
03-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Apparently they've all said they are coming back next year.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-19-2013, 10:37 PM

The only problem is does Cal want them back?

duke96
03-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Thank you Robert Morris. After seeing literally hundreds of "I still hate Christian Laettner" shirts at last year's FF, it's hard not to be pretty gleeful about this. Unbelievable!!!

UrinalCake
03-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Was that game played on Robert Morris's home floor?

roywhite
03-19-2013, 10:43 PM

Yes, and it's John Calipari's old home town. What better place to crash for a season following a national championship.

burnspbesq
03-19-2013, 11:05 PM
RMU's coach looks like he could be Brad Stevens' kid brother.

rsvman
03-19-2013, 11:06 PM

Yep. Ironically it was held there because there were NCAA tournament games being held at Rupp.

Blue KevIL
03-19-2013, 11:10 PM

The only problem is does Cal want them back?

Serious question: Isn't Calipari's one-and-done recruiting philosophy based on the idea that nearly everyone leaves?
With that being the case, how does Kentucky have enough scholarships to keep this whole class and bring in another whole new class next year?

Some of these guys may actually have to go pro if Kentucky has too many players and not enough scholarships.
Won't this be where the Calipari recriuiting model fails?

Maybe I am over-simplifying things. Can someone set me straight if I made a wrong assumption here?

uh_no
03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Yep. Ironically it was held there because there were NCAA tournament games being held at Rupp.

even better, Louisville is playing there....imagine if duke couldn't play in cameron because UNC was playing a home game there....

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Serious question: Isn't Calipari's one-and-done recruiting philosophy based on the idea that nearly everyone leaves?
With that being the case, how does Kentucky have enough scholarships to keep this whole class and bring in another whole new class next year?

Some of these guys may actually have to go pro if Kentucky has too many players and not enough scholarships.

Maybe I am over-simplifying things. Can someone set me straight if I made a wrong assumption here?
Calipari talked about it in his post-game as having 15 guys and the equivalent of 3 teams next season with everyone competing for time. No givens. Said it would be like his first year there "with all those guys" on the team. Sounds like a train wreck. Gonna be fun to watch. :cool:

brevity
03-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Just saw this on twitter

Awesome, but I reluctantly confess that I think John Calipari is a genius. If you lose in the first round of the NIT, there's nothing to vacate.

RMU's coach looks like he could be Brad Stevens' kid brother.

We need to add him to the list of candidates to succeed Coach K. Don't know his name, but I like his postseason reputation already.

rhymeswithdreidel
03-19-2013, 11:44 PM

They could've held them at the old, on-campus gym (Memorial Colisuem, capacity ~8,000).

http://www.ukathletics.com/athletic-dept/memorial-coliseum.html

Their reason for not being able to hold the game there was something related to staffing conflicts (which may have been a result of the games being held at Rupp).

UK has held their Midnight Madness events at Memorial in the past as well as other events. They may have played some regular season games there, too, but I'm not certain about that.

brevity
03-19-2013, 11:50 PM
Oh, Wikipedia. Click to enlarge.

More good stuff at USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/03/19/kentucky-robert-morris-nit-court-storm-wikipedia-change/2001605/).

Reilly
03-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Wish the NIT got more support ... it's the equivalent of a decent bowl game in football, given 100/347 are making the NCAA and NIT combined.

burnspbesq
03-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Awesome, but I reluctantly confess that I think John Calipari is a genius. If you lose in the first round of the NIT, there's nothing to vacate.

We need to add him to the list of candidates to succeed Coach K. Don't know his name, but I like his postseason reputation already.

Andy Toole. Played two years at Elon, then transferred to Penn. Captain of an Ivy championship team as a senior.

Was top assistant to Mike Rice at RMU, promoted when Rice took the Rutgers job in 2010. 67-35 in three years.

Guy is building a rep. Not long for the Northeast Conference.

OldSchool
03-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Calipari talked about it in his post-game as having 15 guys and the equivalent of 3 teams next season with everyone competing for time. No givens. Said it would be like his first year there "with all those guys" on the team. Sounds like a train wreck. Gonna be fun to watch. :cool:

I heard Cal in his post-game presser. He said his players were "not tough enough to play college basketball" or words to that effect.

Maybe those players who, as Cal intimated, are not capable of playing college basketball will try out for some other sport.

Des Esseintes
03-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Wish the NIT got more support ... it's the equivalent of a decent bowl game in football, given 100/347 are making the NCAA and NIT combined.

That's why you must leave for the Big 10, so that you can once again afford the finer things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cavAQx-_G5Y

Duvall
03-20-2013, 12:31 AM
I heard Cal in his post-game presser. He said his players were "not tough enough to play college basketball" or words to that effect.

Maybe those players who, as Cal intimated, are not capable of playing college basketball will try out for some other sport.

Cal presser here. (http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2013/03/19/video-uk-post-game-press-conference-after-loss/#) Not sure I've ever seen anything like it.

UrinalCake
03-20-2013, 12:34 AM
I thought some former players were quoted earlier in the season as confirming that there's a culture at UK that you have to leave, even if you don't really want to. Ultimately though I think once the shock of the loss wears off, Noel and Poythress will realize they're better off leaving now.

The only negative about this whole train wreck of a season for UK is that it might actually help UNC's chances at landing Andrew Wiggins. Hope that doesn't happen.

OldPhiKap
03-20-2013, 07:08 AM
even better, Louisville is playing there....imagine if duke couldn't play in cameron because UNC was playing a home game there....

We played our first two round in the Dean Dome in '88, while Carolina got shipped out West to play Loyola Marymount. Nothing could be finer than to holler "Go to Hell, Carolina" in the Deeeeaaaaann Dome!

hillsborodevil
03-20-2013, 07:32 AM

Won't this be where the Calipari recriuiting model fails.

Ditto - KU doesn't appear to be an NBA factory this year. Hopefully this will hurt recruiting for KU in the future.

killerleft
03-20-2013, 08:47 AM

I could be wrong, but I got the impression that Coach Cal's postgame talk was a set-up for the exit of several players. He more or less called them soft and unteachable, and mentioned the end-of-season interviews he will have with each player.

But Cal can't be quite as low as his detractors sometimes make him out to be, so who knows?

Ichabod Drain
03-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Ditto - KU doesn't appear to be an NBA factory this year. Hopefully this will hurt recruiting for KU in the future.

I don't think anyone said Kansas was a NBA facoty...

Anyway back to Kentucky. Any doubts about UK's recruiting and ability to get players to the NBA will most likely be forgotten nect year. They have a monster class coming in that could get more ridiculous today.

MCFinARL
03-20-2013, 08:53 AM

That would be Kansas; assume you mean UK.

No telling what 19-year-olds will do, but I have to think that the ones with the most upside in the view of NBA scouts may end up leaving despite what they say now. And some may have to leave; on the 2010 team, it was rumored that one or two of the players who left school hadn't exactly met the academic eligibility standards to keep playing. Doesn't seem like that is a point of emphasis in a program that expects most of the best players to leave.

If you do all your recruiting based on getting individuals to the NBA, rather than based on what players can accomplish as a team, it isn't surprising that the team outcome will be poor--last year's championship, in that sense, was the exception rather than the rule, with the team led by an extraordinarily gifted player who was also a high-character, unselfish player. Not every kid with physical gifts and stars in his eyes (not to mention sycophants in his ears) has that attitude.

When the result is that a team leaves the tournament a bit earlier than expected (like that 2010 UK team), it probably doesn't affect recruiting very much. But losing in the first round of the NIT is just plain embarrassing, and would-be stars probably don't like to be embarrassed. So it could hurt recruiting, at least theoretically. On the other hand, with the class Calipari has coming in next year, he could turn it all around (or the whole thing could crash and burn). It will be interesting to see what happens.

killerleft
03-20-2013, 08:57 AM
We played our first two round in the Dean Dome in '88, while Carolina got shipped out West to play Loyola Marymount. Nothing could be finer than to holler "Go to Hell, Carolina" in the Deeeeaaaaann Dome!

I was there! How sweet was that, except for the powder blue overload? I can still hear Dean griping and see Mikey smiling.:D;)

OldPhiKap
03-20-2013, 09:06 AM
I was there! How sweet was that, except for the powder blue overload? I can still hear Dean griping and see Mikey smiling.:D;)

I was there as well. Still can't believe K sent Brickey to shoot key free throws at the end. But it worked!

(Was that against UCLA?)

CDu
03-20-2013, 09:20 AM

UK should be fine on scholarships. They have only 8 scholarship players this year (4 walk-ons). Noel will go pro, and Mays will be gone as well. That leaves at most 6 returning recruited players on scholarship, and that's assuming that Cauley-Stein and Goodwin both stay and that nobody transfers away. They have 6 guys coming (potentially 7 with Wiggins or Randle). So they'll still be under the scholarship limit.

UK, not KU. And they'll still have a top-5 pick and potentially two other first rounders from that freshman class (if Cauley-Stein and Goodwin go pro). And they've already gotten the #1 recruiting class in the country for next year, so unless those guys flop I don't think this will affect UK's recruiting at all. That's the beauty of being an established one-and-done factory - it doesn't take long to right a wayward ship.

78Devil
03-20-2013, 09:54 AM
My jaw was just dropping watching that Calipari post-game interview. It always has to be about him, doesn't it?

nocilla
03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
The only negative about this whole train wreck of a season for UK is that it might actually help UNC's chances at landing Andrew Wiggins. Hope that doesn't happen.

FSU didn't help the cause either.

rsvman
03-20-2013, 10:17 AM
On a slightly different note, the West Coast conference had a good showing on the first day of the tournaments (NIT and NCAA).

In the NIT:
BYU 90-79 over Washington. Tyler Haws dropped 37 on the Huskies. You may recall that earlier in the season he had 42 in a game against Virginia Tech. Dude can flat-out ball. I hope Sulaimon can channel Haws in the tourney.

Santa Clara 77, Vermont 67.

In the NCAA:
Saint Mary's won the "play-in" game against Middle Tennessee State, 67-54 behind Delevedova's 22 points and fiery 3-point shooting.

I still don't think the conference is all that, and these results probably won't change anybody's minds about Gonzaga's quality or lack thereof, but it's interesting and a good showing from a conference that doesn't get a lot of love.

CDu
03-20-2013, 10:57 AM
On a slightly different note, the West Coast conference had a good showing on the first day of the tournaments (NIT and NCAA).

In the NIT:
BYU 90-79 over Washington. Tyler Haws dropped 37 on the Huskies. You may recall that earlier in the season he had 42 in a game against Virginia Tech. Dude can flat-out ball. I hope Sulaimon can channel Haws in the tourney.

Santa Clara 77, Vermont 67.

In the NCAA:
Saint Mary's won the "play-in" game against Middle Tennessee State, 67-54 behind Delevedova's 22 points and fiery 3-point shooting.

I still don't think the conference is all that, and these results probably won't change anybody's minds about Gonzaga's quality or lack thereof, but it's interesting and a good showing from a conference that doesn't get a lot of love.

Yeah, I don't know that wins over Washington (who is not good), Vermont, and Middle Tennessee State say all that much about the quality of the WCC. I mean, good that they won and won comfortably, but it's not like they were playing a quality Big-10 team or ACC team.

crimsonandblue
03-20-2013, 11:01 AM
My jaw was just dropping watching that Calipari post-game interview. It always has to be about him, doesn't it?

Yeah, he's got a way of making it about him, while simultaneously announcing to the world that in absolutely no way was their abysmal performance about him. Except, you know, maybe that he allowed all these bad kids to nearly "hijack" the UK program.

FerryFor50
03-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Yeah, he's got a way of making it about him, while simultaneously announcing to the world that in absolutely no way was their abysmal performance about him. Except, you know, maybe that he allowed all these bad kids to nearly "hijack" the UK program.

The wheels on the bus go "thump thump thump"....

crimsonandblue
03-20-2013, 11:30 AM
The wheels on the bus go "thump thump thump"....

Sounds about right:

Thump 1 - Ryan Harrow

Thump 2 - Archie Goodwin

Thump 3 - Jon Hood (and/or Alex Poythress)

BD80
03-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Awesome, but I reluctantly confess that I think John Calipari is a genius. If you lose in the first round of the NIT, there's nothing to vacate. ...

You want to talk genius? He did not even sully his NCAA tourney record! He is 6-0 over the last 2 years!

Hey! Bobby Mo sold out! Of course that's only 3,000 or so :( Had to laugh when the coach was interviewed and was amazed that the students showed up TWO HOURS before tip-off!

Gotta watch out for teams from Steel City, deys gonna gitja!

rsvman
03-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Earlier in the season, Calipari didn't just throw his players under the bus; he knocked them out with a brick, laid them in front of the bus, got in and drove the bus over them, and then put the bus in reverse and backed over 'em for good measure. Can't remember the exact phrasing, but the exact word was "uncoachable."

Well, why are you recruiting players that are uncoachable?

The one thing he said in the presser that really blew me away was that if Wiltjer's last-second three-pointer would've dropped, it "would've been a shame." I can see saying that the other team deserved to win; that's pretty standard post-game fare. But if your own team would've won it would've been a shame? Really? I can't imagine Coach K ever saying anything like that, regardless of circumstances.

vlove
03-20-2013, 11:56 AM
I was there as well. Still can't believe K sent Brickey to shoot key free throws at the end. But it worked!

(Was that against UCLA?)

IIRC, Brickey's late FTs iced the sweet 16 game against Rhode Island in the Meadowlands. Boston U (lead by Kyrie's dad, ironically) & SMU were the Deandome opponents in the first 2 rounds.

Now back to the regularly scheduled cal bashing :)

OldPhiKap
03-20-2013, 12:26 PM
IIRC, Brickey's late FTs iced the sweet 16 game against Rhode Island in the Meadowlands. Boston U (lead by Kyrie's dad, ironically) & SMU were the Deandome opponents in the first 2 rounds.

Memory gets foggy over time.

Cal's smarmimess is timeless.

I bet that he and Roy would be a pair of sour pickles if you ever beat them in a Lauderdale.

JasonEvans
03-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Should we rename this the Kentucky BWAHAHAHAHAHA! thread?

FWIW, here is how the various draft sites project the current Kentucky freshmen:

Noel - NBDraft.Net #4, Draftexpress #1, ESPN #2
Cauley-Stein - NBDraft.Net #9, Draftexpress #10 (in 2014), ESPN #16
Goodwin - NBDraft.Net #28, Draftexpress #18, ESPN #20
Poythress - NBDraft.Net #20 (in 2014), Draftexpress #15, ESPN #13

Seems likely that all 4 would see themselves as first round locks if they come out this year. Other than Goodwin, the other guys all are projected by some to be lottery picks. I am not sure who Calipari was talking about as uncoachable and the such in his horrible newser after the game, but these kids know how he feels about them. I bet at least a couple of them head to the NBA.

-Jason "all these guys (except Noel) need to worry about minutes next year with the ridiculous freshman class coming in at Kentucky" Evans

roywhite
03-21-2013, 07:01 AM
Almost Dukie Carrick Felix had a good game for Coach Herb and the Arizona State Sundevils as they advanced.

Arizona State 83 -- Detroit 68 (http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330790009)

Saw some of the game; he was mentioned as an NBA prospect, primarily for his defensive ability.

Ichabod Drain
03-21-2013, 08:12 AM
My Mercer Bears take down Tennessee!!!

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330792633

Not a good NIt for the SEC so far, their #1 and #2 seeds have both been knocked off.

Also it pretty much made my life to hear Bob Knight call a Mercer game.

ChrisP
03-21-2013, 08:12 AM

I attended those games in the Dean Dome, too! I can't believe that some UNC friends are still I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing about being sent out west that year. Hello - you cannot play on your home court! Duh! And, like you, I was having a hard time remembering Brickey FT's to ice a game there. As I recall, we won both games fairly easily that year. I also recall that one of the other games featured Syracuse (who I think was a very high seed that year - maybe a #3?) against NC A&T who were coached by none other than Jeff Capel, Sr. And, if memory serves, A&T put a bit of a scare into them. I think it was a fairly close game at the half and I was cheering like heck for A&T since I'm from Greensboro and I used to HATE the 'Cuse in those days (I believe Rony Seikaly was on that team and he just got under my skin for some reason). A&T ended up losing by 14, but I do remember that they played well.

Anyway, to get this (somewhat) back on topic, yes, Calipari is a jerk and I'm glad to see the Tamecats bounced in the first round...of the NIT :cool: