PDA

View Full Version : NCAAT: Duke/Albany Pregame and In-Game Thread (1215 EDT Fri On CBS)

Pages : [1] 2

hurleyfor3
03-17-2013, 06:04 PM
discuss here

Game is Friday 3/22 at 12:15 PM Eastern on CBS. CBS will air the entire game regardless of score. With the 4 Networks carrying the games, all games will be shown from opening tip to final horn regardless of score. The days of cutting away from blowout games to switch to a closer game are now over thankfully!

CR9
03-17-2013, 06:09 PM
No less than they deserve for not showing up against Maryland.

RoyalBlue08
03-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Don't love our draw in terms of being in Loiusville's bracket, but the bottom half of the bracket seems reasonable. I know nothing about Albany, and I hope I never learn much about them!

1 24 90
03-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Don't love our draw in terms of being in Loiusville's bracket, but the bottom half of the bracket seems reasonable. I know nothing about Albany, and I hope I never learn much about them!

Albany beat Vermont at Vermont to win their conference tourney. Little guy hit 2 3s in the last 2 minutes.

JBDuke
03-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Remember, this thread is about our game with Albany. Discussions about the Midwest bracket, and Duke's seeding in it, belong in the Midwest Region Discussion thread. (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30925-2013-Midwest-(Indianapolis)-Region-Discussion-(Louisville-1-Duke-2))

burnspbesq
03-17-2013, 06:40 PM
As long as Miles Thompson doesn't suit up, we'll be fine.

pfrduke
03-17-2013, 06:45 PM
This is a much better matchup than Lehigh last year. Albany is probably the worst of the 15 seeds. Iona would have been trouble with Momo Jones, Gulf Coast is a plenty good team - besides beating Miami, they hung with us for a half. And Pacific scores out better in most of the ranking systems. Albany is small, they're not particularly deadly from outside (only two real shooters in Iati and Black), they don't play a unique style, etc. Knocking firmly on wood, and acknowledging everything that happened last year, etc., this should be a walk.

hurleyfor3
03-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Albany is #167 Sagarin. VPI, the worst-ranked ACC team, ended up at #145. I can't call up Pomeroy right now.

subzero02
03-17-2013, 06:51 PM
So, we are still waiting for time and station information

pfrduke
03-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Albany is #167 Sagarin. VPI, the worst-ranked ACC team, ended up at #145. I can't call up Pomeroy right now.

Albany was around 145. Best win this season was clearly the 1-point win at Washington 4 months ago, otherwise, they beat a bunch of nobody. Only other power conference team they played was OSU, and they lost by 22.

tbyers11
03-17-2013, 06:54 PM

Albany is 147 in Pom. Other 15s are Iona (96), FGCU (126), and Pacific (121).

Gewebe14
03-17-2013, 06:57 PM
What was Lehigh last year? (I know I know too soon)

pfrduke
03-17-2013, 06:57 PM
What was Lehigh last year? (I know I know too soon)

In the 80s.

davekay1971
03-17-2013, 07:12 PM
In addition to Albany being less good of a 15 seed as Lehigh, Duke is unquestionably a better 2 seed than we were last year. I don't think there's any rational argument to say otherwise. At first glance, I like our chances to win our 2 game mini-tournament.

El_Diablo
03-17-2013, 07:43 PM
I can't call up Pomeroy right now.

Same here. The servers must be under a lot of strain right now!

CLW
03-17-2013, 08:15 PM
I know this team is clearly better than last season but it will likely be several years before I consider any game a gimmie in the tourny.

MarkD83
03-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Looking at the stats for Albany...

It looks like they play a 3 guard line up; Black, Iati, and Hooley (6'0", 5'10" and 6'4", respectively) with Black and Iati being the leading scorers.
The third leading scorer is Rowley who is 6'6", 230 lbs and he is their leading rebounder.
The next two players that get the most minutes are Puk and Metcalf at 6'10" and 6'9".
After that Gurrier and Johnson play 13 or 14 minutes a game and they are 6'4" and 6'6", respectively.

The simple analysis is who will they put on Ryan and can we defend the three (Black, Iati and Hooley shoot 38, 41 and 33%). They also have 5'9" DJ Evans who shoots 37% from the three point line and plays ~10 minutes a game.

One game at a time Duke.

FerryFor50
03-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Albany is not a large team and doesn't seem to rebound very well. Also doesn't light it up from outside. I like Duke's chances for an easy 1st round game.

NYBri
03-17-2013, 08:51 PM
We lose this game, it will be the biggest upset in Duke/NCAA history.

i don't see that coming from this group.

Potato
03-17-2013, 08:54 PM
I was somewhat concerned playing Lehigh last year, but I think we should roll these guys by 20+. They're probably the worst 15 so as long as we just make 1/3 of our 3s I don't even think it'll be close.

Reilly
03-17-2013, 09:32 PM
#4 Duke is a 23-point favorite over #175 Albany, per the SRS at s-r

sagegrouse
03-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Looking at the stats for Albany...

It looks like they play a 3 guard line up; Black, Iati, and Hooley (6'0", 5'10" and 6'4", respectively) with Black and Iati being the leading scorers.
The third leading scorer is Rowley who is 6'6", 230 lbs and he is their leading rebounder.
The next two players that get the most minutes are Puk and Metcalf at 6'10" and 6'9".
After that Gurrier and Johnson play 13 or 14 minutes a game and they are 6'4" and 6'6", respectively.

The simple analysis is who will they put on Ryan and can we defend the three (Black, Iati and Hooley shoot 38, 41 and 33%). They also have 5'9" DJ Evans who shoots 37% from the three point line and plays ~10 minutes a game.

One game at a time Duke.

Based on your description (thanks), the Duke approach, in order, should be to: (a) see if anyone can stop Mason from having a 30/15 game; (b) see if Ryan can go off against a much smaller team; (c) see if our outside shooters are hitting; or (d) see if we can turn them over. I hope (a) is successful.

sagegrouse

SCMatt33
03-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Looking at them from a four factors perspective, they are pretty average in the shooting stats (112th O, 149th D) eFG%. They turn the ball over a lot (249th) and are average at turning teams over (179th). They are average at offensive rebounding (168th) and excellent at defensive rebounding (53rd). Where they really excel is the foul game. Their free throw rate is (68th, 19th) offensively and defensively. These numbers aren't adjusted for competition, so I imagine that rebounding stats can be misleading for low major teams. I'd also think as a bigger, faster team, Duke will have no trouble with the foul game. I'm really glad we didn't get Iona. Ohio State can't overlook them at all.

SCMatt33
03-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Based on your description (thanks), the Duke approach, in order, should be to: (a) see if anyone can stop Mason from having a 30/15 game; (b) see if Ryan can go off against a much smaller team; (c) see if our outside shooters are hitting; or (d) see if we can turn them over. I hope (a) is successful.

sagegrouse

Something tells me that if plan A works, Mason will not be in the game long enough to get 30/15.

gofurman
03-17-2013, 10:36 PM
In addition to Albany being less good of a 15 seed as Lehigh, Duke is unquestionably a better 2 seed than we were last year. I don't think there's any rational argument to say otherwise. At first glance, I like our chances to win our 2 game mini-tournament.

team, no jumping ahead - as said on the main articles: "First game: Albany (24-10). Next game for the winners: winner of Creighton/Cincinnati " Remember Lehigh - step on their throats (even though its a cool mascot - looks like marmaduke). Do not look ahead. It doesnt say next game for Duke - it says next game for winners !

DO NOT LOOK BEYOND ALBANY - let the coaches and us crazy fans look at the nxt possible teams.

Remeber how it felt to lose to Maryland... and lets not feel that way again! Play Defense !

one game at a time. I see people say Mason should have a 30/15. Mason went off on Lehigh - doesnt matter if we dont play defense and stay in front of the guards. Its a team game, and esp on Defense

Bluedog
03-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Game is at 12:15 pm on CBS. Kevin Harlan/Len Elmore/Reggie Miller/Lewis Johnson with the call.

Here's the full list:
http://rushthecourt.net/2013/03/17/ncaa-tournament-1st-and-2d-round-tip-times/

fisheyes
03-17-2013, 10:40 PM
People are saying game is at 12:15 pm on CBS although I haven't seen verification from official source yet.

Yuck. I was hoping for the 7 PM slot. How am I going to get out of work? Hmmm....throat feeling scratchy already.

wallyman
03-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Game is at 12:15 pm on CBS. Kevin Harlan/Len Elmore/Reggie Miller/Lewis Johnson with the call.

Here's the full list:

Imagine losing to Albany with Len Elmore doing the game.

SCMatt33
03-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Yuck. I was hoping for the 7 PM slot. How am I going to get out of work? Hmmm....throat feeling scratchy already.

We'd normally get it, but since we play on the same day as Carolina this year, they had to split us up, and I guess they figured that an 8-9 game will be better prime time viewing. I'm also glad they didn't go with the other option of giving us the late game, then having to potentially play in the late afternoon Sunday (depending on how everything worked out)id

hurleyfor3
03-17-2013, 11:20 PM
I'd prefer the early slot, and I think this is a first for us in many years. It seems people complain every year that we have a late R64 game followed by an early R32 game. Well, that's one less excuse.

h8lightblue
03-17-2013, 11:24 PM

Here's the full list:

The DBR main page says 7pm but the CBS brackets shows 12:15

Potato
03-17-2013, 11:31 PM
i'm a high school student lol.... not being able to watch duke is going to KILL me. hopefully i'll be able to see the start of it though, normally the pe classes go into the gym and watch the tournament and i'd be able to see the first 30 minutes if we do that. hopefully i won't have to worry about this game though

J4Kop99
03-17-2013, 11:38 PM
i'm a high school student lol.... not being able to watch duke is going to KILL me. hopefully i'll be able to see the start of it though, normally the pe classes go into the gym and watch the tournament and i'd be able to see the first 30 minutes if we do that. hopefully i won't have to worry about this game though

I heard that there is a stomach bug going around in your school...

J4Kop99
03-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Seems like the committee was pretty pissed at Duke. If coach K can't use all of this as motivation, then he's not as great as we think.

-What was the ESPN headline after we beat Miami? Everyone had it written in stone that we were going to be the #1 overall seed and we were the championship favorite. Look what happened.

Coach will have these guys ready.

Potato
03-17-2013, 11:40 PM
I heard that there is a stomach bug going around in your school...

lol you might be right. only bad thing is if i miss many more classes i'll be taking all my exams and i don't want that to happen. i HOPE i won't have to worry about this one. if duke lets them keep it close i really might lose my mind in class. thank god for that app i can watch every game on my iphone for free

SCMatt33
03-18-2013, 12:16 AM
Before we complain too much about getting Elmore, just remember that Doug Gottlieb is calling sub-regional games this year.

throatybeard
03-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Before we complain too much about getting Elmore, just remember that Doug Gottlieb is calling sub-regional games this year.

I cannot believe that ESPN would allow such a valued asset as the guy who has his own terrible late afternoon radio show to go to waste like this.

(God, I'm just the snarkmonster lately).

Duvall
03-18-2013, 01:06 AM
I cannot believe that ESPN would allow such a valued asset as the guy who has his own terrible late afternoon radio show to go to waste like this.

Gottlieb works for the Tiffany Network now.

throatybeard
03-18-2013, 01:14 AM
Gottlieb works for the Tiffany Network now.

I stand corrected. I guess I haven't heard ESPN Radio on Sirius since last summer. Blah blah stolen credit card Notre Dame. Bleh.

ice-9
03-18-2013, 01:17 AM
Looking at them from a four factors perspective, they are pretty average in the shooting stats (112th O, 149th D) eFG%. They turn the ball over a lot (249th) and are average at turning teams over (179th). They are average at offensive rebounding (168th) and excellent at defensive rebounding (53rd). Where they really excel is the foul game. Their free throw rate is (68th, 19th) offensively and defensively. These numbers aren't adjusted for competition, so I imagine that rebounding stats can be misleading for low major teams. I'd also think as a bigger, faster team, Duke will have no trouble with the foul game. I'm really glad we didn't get Iona. Ohio State can't overlook them at all.

I haven't seen Albany play, but given the above plus the line-up the other DBRer posted, it looks like Albany's the kind of team that will use its speed (from its smaller size) to penetrate and draw fouls. My first thought is to try to turn them over by being aggressive in the passing lanes and perhaps even trapping, but maybe it's better to conserve energy and just out-grind them. I.e. give them a bit more space on defence to take away the drive and compensate with our taller length should they elect to shoot. And then on offense go with our bread and butter inside-outside attack; Mason in the middle with four shooters outside.

This match-up is the only nice thing the tournament committee did for us. Albany is the weakest 15-seed and we match up well against them. Here's to hoping we blow them out early so we can conserve energy for a much tougher second round game.

devildeac
03-18-2013, 08:21 AM
I cannot believe that ESPN would allow such a valued ASSet as the guy who has his own terrible late afternoon radio show to go to waste like this.

Modified your sentence just a bit for you. You're welcome;).

davekay1971
03-18-2013, 08:53 AM

Here's the full list:

Cough, cough. Hack hack. Sniffle. Is that a fever coming on? My I feel nauseous. Probably won't really hit till Friday at about noon, but it's going to be a doozy of a cold. I haven't called out sick, ever, since I started this job in 2008. I think I'm due...

dahntaysdawg
03-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Cough, cough. Hack hack. Sniffle. Is that a fever coming on? My I feel nauseous. Probably won't really hit till Friday at about noon, but it's going to be a doozy of a cold. I haven't called out sick, ever, since I started this job in 2008. I think I'm due...

My wife has her sugar test on the 22nd early morning appointment. I'm already off that day to go with her, if she's finished early....I guess I'll watch the game ;).

Cameron
03-18-2013, 10:24 AM
I would welcome the Ebola virus if it meant staying home from the office on Friday to watch the Duke game. Watching Duke play in the tournament isn’t much different anyhow. According to Wikipedia, Ebola Virus Disease begins with a sudden onset of an influenza-like stage characterized by general malaise, fever with chills, arthralgia and myalgia, and chest pain. Sounds like an NCAA tournament game to me.

Here is a picture of me after last year’s first-round game (I’m in bed):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ab/7042_lores-Ebola-Zaire-CDC_Photo.jpg/230px-7042_lores-Ebola-Zaire-CDC_Photo.jpg

DukeAlumBS
03-18-2013, 10:33 AM
SUNY Albany is in a very weak league. They play SUNY Binghampton, SUNY Stoney Brook, SUNY Buffalo and UVM as well as the likes of BU. We should win this by 20 plus.
I think SUNY Albany we beat couple years ago, the year we won the NCAA tourney against Butler.
This interesting. Let me research.I feel very confidant in this game. With Kelly back.
I actually like our bracket.
Have nice day,
Jimmy

DukeAlumBS
03-18-2013, 10:38 AM
It was SUNY Binghampton we beat a couple years ago. We have played Albany once in recent past and beat well, as we did with Binghampyon. I would say very weak league.
Have nice day,
Jim

jmck214
03-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Other alternatives to calling out sick on Friday include ncaa.com if your lucky enough to work in a branch office like me without a boss looking over your shoulder. Can also have the misfortune of having your car breakdown on your lunch break right next to a bar or if your in sales my favorite "ficticious appointment" from 12 to 230

OldPhiKap
03-18-2013, 11:13 AM
I think I need to schedule an appointment with my cardiologist/brewer/patriot.

Cameron
03-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Not to dampen the mood in here, but for a little historical perspective, the 16th seeded Great Danes of Albany put the scare of a lifetime into the top seeded Connecticut Huskies in 2006, at one point holding a double-digit lead in the second half. With 12 minutes to go in that first-round game, the scoreboard read Albany 50, UConn 38.

ESPN: Connecticut rallies past Albany to avoid historic defeat (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=264000016)

Hopefully this isn't a bad omen, but that game was also played in Philly.

Wish I had more of a feel-good story about Albany. Sorry.

uh_no
03-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Not to dampen the mood in here, but for a little historical perspective, the 16th seeded Great Danes of Albany put the scare of a lifetime into the top seeded Connecticut Huskies in 2006, at one point holding a double-digit lead in the second half. With 12 minutes to go, the scoreboard read Albany 50, UConn 38.

ESPN: "http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=264000016"]Connecticut rallies past Albany to avoid historic defeat

to be fair, I think that game says more about that uconn team than it does about albany....

FerryFor50
03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Not to dampen the mood in here, but for a little historical perspective, the 16th seeded Great Danes of Albany put the scare of a lifetime into the top seeded Connecticut Huskies in 2006, at one point holding a double-digit lead in the second half. With 12 minutes to go, the scoreboard read Albany 50, UConn 38.

ESPN: Connecticut rallies past Albany to avoid historic defeat (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=264000016)

Good thing we're not playing the 2006 Albany team. Even better that we're not the 2006 UConn team.

uh_no
03-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Good thing we're not playing the 2006 Albany team. Even better that we're not the 2006 UConn team.

for sure, anything george mason can do, duke can do better :)

Cameron
03-18-2013, 11:24 AM

We're not? Phew. That was a close call.

NashvilleDevil
03-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Not to dampen the mood in here, but for a little historical perspective, the 16th seeded Great Danes of Albany put the scare of a lifetime into the top seeded Connecticut Huskies in 2006, at one point holding a double-digit lead in the second half. With 12 minutes to go in that first-round game, the scoreboard read Albany 50, UConn 38.

This is relevant to Duke's game against the 2012-13 Albany team how?

DukeAlumBS
03-18-2013, 11:45 AM
My friends, that was 2006. And a diffferent U. Conn, maybe not getting at Albany full force. Syracuse plays these teams to build up their wins BTW. The Albany/Stoney Brook/Binghampton, SUNY Buffalo , BU, UVM, and UNH. I can tell you this is a very weak team. We will win by 20. It is not that competitive a league, and is most definitely a very nice, first game for Duke.
Again, the vest team in this league, we beat by 20 points 2 years ago, was Binghampton.
I feel very good in our bracket.

Nice day

Jimmy

OldPhiKap
03-18-2013, 11:47 AM
This is relevant to Duke's game against the 2012-13 Albany team how?

I think it shows that this game is not a given.

NashvilleDevil
03-18-2013, 11:52 AM
I think it shows that this game is not a given.

I'm going to go ahead and say this game is a given. Duke will be focused and they win by one of the bigger margins for the Thursday/Friday games.

DukeAlumBS
03-18-2013, 11:53 AM
The only team Albany played this year, ranked was OSU and got beat by 20 plus. Otherwise they played in their league. Their SOS is is very weak. They won their tournament, with a poor conference record I saw as well. They have not played but their conference, or weaker conference.
I was surprised they took a stab at OSU. This conference is weaker than a GONZAGA conference!
It is a given IMO, with Kelly back I sense a gift first game, to get back into our groove.
Have nice day
Jim

1 24 90
03-18-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm just curious why everyone says they have to work on Friday. Does your company not give any vacation time? I plan on taking Thursday and Friday as vacation days. I understand why the high school kid would have difficulty getting to watch the game.

Do as Dan Dakich recommended last week. Take this Thursday and Friday off and if you get fired then you weren't that important to begin with.

Anyway, I hope everyone gets to watch the game and enjoy a big win.

rifraf
03-18-2013, 12:44 PM
A bunch of us at work have an annual tradition of taking a half day off on Fridays to watch games all day. Can't let stop tradition now!

I'd like to see us CRUSH Albany. After that MD game I don't want any conserving energy, slow play, garbage minutes, etc. I want to be scared every time the camera looks right into a Duke player's face.

devildeac
03-18-2013, 01:33 PM
I think I need to schedule an appointment with my cardiologist/brewer/patriot.

I can help you with one of those;). How about your bookie with Duke -18?

Phoenix22
03-18-2013, 02:55 PM
I would welcome the Ebola virus if it meant staying home from the office on Friday to watch the Duke game. Watching Duke play in the tournament isn’t much different anyhow. According to Wikipedia, Ebola Virus Disease begins with a sudden onset of an influenza-like stage characterized by general malaise, fever with chills, arthralgia and myalgia, and chest pain. Sounds like an NCAA tournament game to me.

Here is a picture of me after last year’s first-round game (I’m in bed):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ab/7042_lores-Ebola-Zaire-CDC_Photo.jpg/230px-7042_lores-Ebola-Zaire-CDC_Photo.jpg

Seriously, Ebola is nothing to joke about. My girlfriend just came down with that awful disease and I am going to have to miss work on Thursday And Friday to take care of her.

DukeGirl4ever
03-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Is anyone going to be at the game on Friday? I'd love to meet up with some DBR folks!

I just submitted my "personal day" request. I had previously submitted a sick day to get some bloodwork done, but knowing that my co-workers may see me on national TV, I had to change it. ;)

wiscodevil
03-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Does anyone with any inside knowledge of the team know how much of an impact the kelly and curry injuries have had on their ability to practice at full speed and how that might be hurting the team prepare for games or improve throughout the season?

hoping the week off helps them play to their best ability!

grad_devil
03-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Heckuva time to title a thread "injuries and practice". I think my heart skipped two beats.

Here's hoping that the week off gave Curry plenty of time to rest/heal, and Kelly plenty of time to get his wind back.

dukeofcalabash
03-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Does anyone with any inside knowledge of the team know how much of an impact the kelly and curry injuries have had on their ability to practice at full speed and how that might be hurting the team prepare for games or improve throughout the season?

hoping the week off helps them play to their best ability!

I'd say forget about that injury to Curry, we've been hearing it all year and it is no longer an excuse for poor shooting nights. As last year, he still is not a good defender. Kelly, on the other hand, should be fine but his game conditioning may/may not be affected.

-jk
03-18-2013, 08:26 PM
I plan to be there.

-jk

matt1
03-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Is anyone going to be at the game on Friday? I'd love to meet up with some DBR folks!

I just submitted my "personal day" request. I had previously submitted a sick day to get some bloodwork done, but knowing that my co-workers may see me on national TV, I had to change it. ;)

I live in Philly, but I will actually be on campus for the game on Friday (for a campus tour as a prospective student).

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to watch the game?

Henderson
03-18-2013, 08:44 PM
I gotta get it out there:

If the worst of the worst comes to pass on Friday, I still love this team. I'm going to miss Ryan, Mason, and Seth more than I can remember regretting the departure of three seniors. These guys have been warriors.

There.

Kedsy
03-18-2013, 08:45 PM

I plan to be there.

Kedsy
03-18-2013, 08:46 PM
I'd say forget about that injury to Curry, we've been hearing it all year and it is no longer an excuse for poor shooting nights.

So, since we've been hearing about it all year, to you that means it's not real? Nice logic.

Utley
03-18-2013, 09:33 PM
I heard a Coach K interview on ESPN today. He seemed to imply that he was perhaps too easy on Seth and Ryan going into Friday's game in an effort to keep everybody fresh and that it disrupted the team's rhythm. He indicated that things would've very different this week.

wallyman
03-18-2013, 10:03 PM
I heard a Coach K interview on ESPN today. He seemed to imply that he was perhaps too easy on Seth and Ryan going into Friday's game in an effort to keep everybody fresh and that it disrupted the team's rhythm. He indicated that things would've very different this week.

Well, he should know what they can do, but I'm not glad to hear this. After the pain of the Md. game wears off, it's become easier to see the upside of going home early -- hard to see how Seth could have played three games without taking a hit from it in the NCAAT. And if we lost to Miami in the finals, we still wouldn't have been a #1. So the rest should do him -- in particular -- good. Getting beat up in practice hardly seems optimal, but one assumes K will know how hard to push.

Newton_14
03-18-2013, 10:12 PM

To add to this, on the Duke Radio show tonight, Wojo commented that the guys have been practicing hard since the Maryland loss, and the focus was 100% on team defense. I got the impression they practiced Saturday and Sunday. Last night they held a team dinner to watch the Selection Show together (including family members) to celebrate making the tourney. Wojo said that when you go every year it is easy to take it for granted but K does this because one, it is the first tourney ever for our freshman, and the last tourney ever for our Seniors. Works for me. Makes sense.

I do hope Rasheed gets put back in the starting lineup, as our normal starting 5 provides great balance of 5 unique scorers, plus 5 unique defenders. At their best this year I felt they were the best starting 5 in the country. I like bringing Tyler and Josh off the bench for toughness, defense, and energy.

Focus should be entirely on Albany and beating their brains out. Wojo said as much on the show tonight. He said Lehigh was a stark reminder to take nothing for granted, respect the opponent no matter who it is, and come out ready to play.

Also spoke about the travel schedule and practice mindset. Team practices Wed in Cameron after class, then flies out. Media obligations and open practice on Thursday in Philly. Per normal, the 40 minute open practice will not be some worthless, show time dunkfest and shoot around. 40 minutes of "Duke Practice" with shots coming in the normal flow of the offense, against real defense. That's just how K rolls.

UrinalCake
03-18-2013, 10:46 PM
And if we lost to Miami in the finals, we still wouldn't have been a #1.

This is something we could argue all day and never know the answer to, but I'd have to think that if we made it to the final game we would have been a #1. Of course, if Miami beat us rather than UNC then they might have been a #1 by virtue of an additional quality win, so maybe they would have taken our spot. All moot at this point.

I agree with you that rest will be good, but we'll have played one game in almost two weeks so we'll be as rested as we're gonna get at this time of year.

duke86
03-19-2013, 12:04 AM
So my coworker and I will be making the journey up to the City of Brotherly Love and I am very much looking forward to the game. If anyone needs any suggestions of places to eat or things to do in Philly, let me know. I have family in South Jersey and head up there a bunch (especially since I now live and work in D.C.). Another one of my colleagues is heading up to the game too, but he's an alum from UAlbany. He told me today that the University gave away free tickets to any of the students that want to head down for the game, so I expect there to be a bunch of UAlbany students. I do hope there is a good showing from our current students, alum, and just Duke fans. I was there for the game last year in Greensboro, and it was tough when we had all those UNC fans still hanging around and cheering on Lehigh. I expect there to be more Duke blue, especially since we are the earlier game this time around.

On the point of the rest, I have always felt that too much rest is sometimes a bad thing. As a tennis player (not in college...not that good!), I always wanted to play as many matches as possible because your timing always got better. Coming back from a long rest is sometimes not always a good thing. I think it's better for the second game, but not always the first. Hopefully, our team will be playing with a chip on their shoulder and put this game to bed early. If UAlbany stays close through halftime, any fans arriving for the next game will be lending their support to UAlbany, and you want to keep that part of the crowd as quiet as possible.

matt1
03-19-2013, 12:13 AM
So my coworker and I will be making the journey up to the City of Brotherly Love and I am very much looking forward to the game. If anyone needs any suggestions of places to eat or things to do in Philly, let me know. I have family in South Jersey and head up there a bunch (especially since I now live and work in D.C.). Another one of my colleagues is heading up to the game too, but he's an alum from UAlbany. He told me today that the University gave away free tickets to any of the students that want to head down for the game, so I expect there to be a bunch of UAlbany students. I do hope there is a good showing from our current students, alum, and just Duke fans. I was there for the game last year in Greensboro, and it was tough when we had all those UNC fans still hanging around and cheering on Lehigh. I expect there to be more Duke blue, especially since we are the earlier game this time around.

On the point of the rest, I have always felt that too much rest is sometimes a bad thing. As a tennis player (not in college...not that good!), I always wanted to play as many matches as possible because your timing always got better. Coming back from a long rest is sometimes not always a good thing. I think it's better for the second game, but not always the first. Hopefully, our team will be playing with a chip on their shoulder and put this game to bed early. If UAlbany stays close through halftime, any fans arriving for the next game will be lending their support to UAlbany, and you want to keep that part of the crowd as quiet as possible.

Places to eat: Reading Terminal, Chickie's and Pete's, Cheesesteak Tour (Pat's, Jim's, Tony Luke's, Geno's), Jake's Sandwich Board, any nice steakhouse, Bourse

Things to do: Independence Park (several historical sites and National Constitution Center), Physick House, Horse and Carriage Ride (though, it will be unseasonably cold, in the 40s), Franklin Square (great for family fun), museums

sagegrouse
03-19-2013, 12:42 AM

Well, run up the steps of the Phildelphia Art Museum and wave your arms at the top -- like Rocky. Seriously good art museums, and I dunno if the Barnes Collection can be accessed on short notice. Best urban neighborhood 20 years ago was Rittenhouse Square. Now there is much, much more of interest. All along Walnut St. from 3rd all the way out to the UPenn campus 34th-40th Sts. Eating at "the Pod" near Penn used to be an amazing experience, but I haven't been there in a few years.

sagegrouse

subzero02
03-19-2013, 01:29 AM
We are 17.5 point favorites... I am a little surprised it is not a larger point spread

NashvilleDevil
03-19-2013, 01:35 AM
We are 17.5 point favorites... I am a little surprised it is not a larger point spread

That seems like a good line to attract Duke bettors.

dukeofcalabash
03-19-2013, 01:44 AM
So, since we've been hearing about it all year, to you that means it's not real? Nice logic.

No, not at all, what I'm saying is that Curry has played well. He's what he has always been, a shooter who runs hot and cold yet plays poor defense. Even in past years he has been beaten by bigger, faster players who either shot over him or ran past him. Let's face it, he is PART of the defensive problem.

subzero02
03-19-2013, 08:10 AM
That seems like a good line to attract Duke bettors.

Well, it worked for me... I expect Mason to dominate like he did at the beginning of the Lehigh game but I don't expect us to forget about him and show complete incompetence with the entry pass...

moonpie23
03-19-2013, 08:34 AM
how about we just win the game? :mad:

we should go back and read all the posts PRE-LEHIGH game last year...

points and predictions seem to be a source of irritation for me these days.......sorry to be a buzz-kill....

ok....i'll be working....

BlueandWhite
03-19-2013, 08:47 AM
To add to this, on the Duke Radio show tonight, Wojo commented that the guys have been practicing hard since the Maryland loss, and the focus was 100% on team defense. I got the impression they practiced Saturday and Sunday. Last night they held a team dinner to watch the Selection Show together (including family members) to celebrate making the tourney. Wojo said that when you go every year it is easy to take it for granted but K does this because one, it is the first tourney ever for our freshman, and the last tourney ever for our Seniors. Works for me. Makes sense.

I do hope Rasheed gets put back in the starting lineup, as our normal starting 5 provides great balance of 5 unique scorers, plus 5 unique defenders. At their best this year I felt they were the best starting 5 in the country. I like bringing Tyler and Josh off the bench for toughness, defense, and energy.

Focus should be entirely on Albany and beating their brains out. Wojo said as much on the show tonight. He said Lehigh was a stark reminder to take nothing for granted, respect the opponent no matter who it is, and come out ready to play.

Also spoke about the travel schedule and practice mindset. Team practices Wed in Cameron after class, then flies out. Media obligations and open practice on Thursday in Philly. Per normal, the 40 minute open practice will not be some worthless, show time dunkfest and shoot around. 40 minutes of "Duke Practice" with shots coming in the normal flow of the offense, against real defense. That's just how K rolls.

Great post, thanks for info from Wojo's show - nice to hear details like focus of practice being on team D. I expect it will pay off. Also good to learn that Duke's open practice on Thu will be a real practice...not surprising. Go Devils!

pfrduke
03-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Folks, I moved all the posts about broadcast discussions (online streaming, what channels games will be on, will CBS skip away, etc) to a standalone thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30954-Broadcasting-the-NCAAs). Please keep this one on-topic about the Albany game.

Bob Green
03-19-2013, 11:04 AM

I agree with you on Sulaimon. He needs to be a starter in the NCAAT after breaking out of his second minor slump of the season with a strong performance against Maryland.

Focus should be entirely on Albany and beating their brains out.

Absolutely. I want the team to jump all over Albany at the opening tip and keep the pressure on for the full 40 minutes. The team needs to make a statement.

nocilla
03-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley
#Duke Coach K said Rasheed Sulaimon will start Friday vs Albany.

Other news from Twitter and Coach K's presser;

Duke Basketball ‏@dukebasketball
K says that everyone is healthy and ready to play this weekend. Team leaves tomorrow after practice.

Blue Devil Nation ‏@BlueDevilNation
Kelly and Curry did not pracitce earlier in the week. Sth had most of the week off.

OldPhiKap
03-19-2013, 03:52 PM

K says that everyone is healthy and ready to play this weekend. Team leaves tomorrow after practice.

Kelly and Curry did not pracitce earlier in the week. Sth had most of the week off.

We are extremely dangerous if Rasheed plays well. Kid has all-world potential, just needs to realize that missing a shot is not a mistake -- it's just a missed shot. (I think I'm paraphrasing K there).

UrinalCake
03-19-2013, 05:07 PM

I guess "everyone is healthy" is somewhat relative, if Ryan and Seth aren't practicing. Didn't someone up thread quote Coach K as saying he wasn't going to baby the players so much after the Maryland loss? Makes me a little nervous that we know so little about their injuries, and the pessimist in me sees either of those two guys walking off the court during a game and never coming back. May the gods of health and safety be with us.

OldPhiKap
03-19-2013, 05:12 PM
sees either of those two guys walking off the court during a game and never coming back. May the gods of health and safety be with us.

I hope you're seeing it with a confetti cannon going off in the background, and a slice of the net in their hats.

Would be a hell of a way for our three seniors to go out.

Stay healthy, stay focused, attack attack attack!

devildeac
03-19-2013, 10:36 PM
I hope you're seeing it with a confetti cannon going off in the background, and a slice of the net in their hats.

Would be a hell of a way for our three seniors to go out.

Stay healthy, stay focused, attack attack attack!

I seem to remember another group of three seniors exiting in the same fashion recently like you are postulating above. Hmmm, what were their nameZ again....

OldPhiKap
03-19-2013, 11:05 PM
I seem to remember another group of three seniors exiting in the same fashion recently like you are postulating above. Hmmm, what were their nameZ again....

If only we had a coach who knew how to ill something like that off.

BTW, this just in: UNLV and Temple cannot be beat. No reason to even show up.

ice-9
03-20-2013, 12:53 AM

It was four seniors!

Kedsy
03-20-2013, 07:06 AM
It was four seniors!

Who was the fourth? You counting Jordan Davidson?

Chris Randolph
03-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Read in the news observer a coach K quote where he clearly calls out the 3 seniors to "be leaders and step up." I love that he did so publicly

davekay1971
03-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Read in the news observer a coach K quote where he clearly calls out the 3 seniors to "be leaders and step up." I love that he did so publicly

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/19/2764353/coach-k-duke-seniors-must-lead.html

This is a NandO article linked in the Wednesday Tourney links by Laura Keeley that covers K's remarks nicely. I love his comments about human nature, and his ability as a 66 year old to deal with the mental challenges, compared ot the abilities of 19-20 year olds to do the same. As always from Coach, just a simple, but great insight into the pyschology of basketball.

GLTBD
03-20-2013, 11:16 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/19/2764353/coach-k-duke-seniors-must-lead.html

This is a NandO article linked in the Wednesday Tourney links by Laura Keeley that covers K's remarks nicely. I love his comments about human nature, and his ability as a 66 year old to deal with the mental challenges, compared ot the abilities of 19-20 year olds to do the same. As always from Coach, just a simple, but great insight into the pyschology of basketball.

Human nature in what sense? Sorry this may be obvious to some, but I don't understand this statement. :o

davekay1971
03-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Human nature in what sense? Sorry this may be obvious to some, but I don't understand this statement. :o

I think he was talking about the human nature of thinking ahead, looking past the task that immediately at hand and focusing instead on the next step down the road. In short, coming out flat in a game you ought to win. That's what I understood him to mean, at least, based on the context of discussing the Maryland game and the Lehigh game and the upcoming game against Albany.

We, as fans, hate to see our team come out and play less well than they ought to. It's frustrating to see a Duke team perform poorly and struggle against, or lose to, a team that, if we were playing as well as we usually do, we would beat. I was happy to see Coach's comments basically admitting that, yes, it can happen, and no, sometimes there doesn't seem to be much you can do about it.

roywhite
03-20-2013, 11:33 AM

Basic concepts are complacency, possible over-confidence, lack of attention to detail, not being emotionally ready for an important event.

They are things that can happen to all of us in our job or other endeavors; in this case, wise old Coach K can see his players are not performing well and knows that these are factors; he tries to prepare them, and can also try to get their attention during the game, as in calling a timeout just 90 seconds into the game. But human nature being what it is, stuff happens and the team in this case ends up with a relatively poor performance.

GLTBD
03-20-2013, 11:34 AM
I think he was talking about the human nature of thinking ahead, looking past the task that immediately at hand and focusing instead on the next step down the road. In short, coming out flat in a game you ought to win. That's what I understood him to mean, at least, based on the context of discussing the Maryland game and the Lehigh game and the upcoming game against Albany.

We, as fans, hate to see our team come out and play less well than they ought to. It's frustrating to see a Duke team perform poorly and struggle against, or lose to, a team that, if we were playing as well as we usually do, we would beat. I was happy to see Coach's comments basically admitting that, yes, it can happen, and no, sometimes there doesn't seem to be much you can do about it.

Thank you for the explanation. I tried to give you a "spork" but I must spread the love around.

Utley
03-20-2013, 08:28 PM
I plan to be there.

I just got an unexpected ticket - shortly thereafter came down with an illness that I expect will keep me out of work on Friday.

Sounds like there will be a group of us there. Should we try and pick a time and place to meet? It would be nice to meet you all in person. Perhaps Pj Whelihans between games?

sagegrouse
03-20-2013, 08:32 PM
No, not at all, what I'm saying is that Curry has played well. He's what he has always been, a shooter who runs hot and cold yet plays poor defense. Even in past years he has been beaten by bigger, faster players who either shot over him or ran past him. Let's face it, he is PART of the defensive problem.

Interesting post for a guy with "Duke" in his name on a Duke fans' board. And you seem awfully certain -- I can almost feel you pounding the desk. OTOH, I see Seth as a more than capable defender; his hands are very quick; he understands the defensive concepts pretty well IMHO (where the H is usually silent). Everybody gets beat by good players -- even the greatest defenders. The offense has a real advantage.

You wouldn't be confusing "certainty" and "certitude," would you?

sagegrouse

weezie
03-20-2013, 08:35 PM
I just got an unexpected ticket - shortly thereafter came down with an illness that I expect will keep me out of work on Friday.

Sounds like there will be a group of us there. Should we try and pick a time and place to meet? It would be nice to meet you all in person. Perhaps Pj Whelihans between games?

I'm going but as I understand it the IDs only get Duke game tickets and not the following game? Which will mean a quick out the door and a stop at Pat's before we hit 95 South.

devildeac
03-20-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm going but as I understand it the IDs only get Duke game tickets and not the following game? Which will mean a quick out the door and a stop at Pat's before we hit 95 South.

Go to Jim's on 4th and South instead. Pat's and Geno's are for the tourists (according to a cousin of mine who live in NW Philly). Make sure you have some sporks to eat all the steak, cheese, onions and 'shrooms that fall off your Amoroso's roll;).

Philadukie
03-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Sorry if someone's already mentioned this, but go to Monk's on 16th and Sansom. Best burger, fries, and beers in the city.

devildeac
03-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Sorry if someone's already mentioned this, but go to Monk's on 16th and Samson. Best burger, fries, and beers in the city.

One of the most highly rated Belgian beer bars in the US, IIRC. Here's their current "on draft" list:

http://monkscafe.com/on_tap.cfm

wallyman
03-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Spent about four hours in the car today, mostly listening, God knows why, to middle-aged adolescents and the folks who called in to them on various ESPN radio brand extensions bloviate about the Tournament. Other than Tim Brando introducing Mike Gminski and Coach K's show, which I had never heard before, I heard South Dakota State, Davidson and VCU mentioned more often than Duke. In fact, I barely heard Duke mentioned by anyone pro or con. So maybe it's good that we're flying under the radar or maybe they need new storylines or maybe it's bad that no one thinks we're going anywhere, but hot, this week at least, we're not. Here's hoping we're still around to be more of the conversation next week.

jdj4duke
03-21-2013, 12:06 AM
One of the most highly rated Belgian beer bars in the US, IIRC. Here's their current "on draft" list:

http://monkscafe.com/on_tap.cfm

Was there Monday while on a biz trip. Have a Palate Wrecker. Just don't drive afterwards. It's a nice divey joint.

Kedsy
03-21-2013, 12:18 AM

I'm pretty sure the Duke tickets work for both the Duke/Albany game and the Creighton/Cincinnati game. They don't work for the Georgetown/Florida Gulf Coast and the San Diego State/Oklahoma games.

uh_no
03-21-2013, 12:49 AM
I'm pretty sure the Duke tickets work for both the Duke/Albany game and the Creighton/Cincinnati game. They don't work for the Georgetown/Florida Gulf Coast and the San Diego State/Oklahoma games.

that was my reading...it works for the games for just that 4 team subregion, but not for the other 4 team subregion also hosted at that site

rifraf
03-21-2013, 09:40 AM
I was in Philly recently and went to Pat's, Jim's, and Geno's trying to complete the trifecta of all the cheesesteak places I'd heard about over the years. They all disappointed me; honestly I enjoy the philly cheesesteak at a place in the mall back home in FL more than any of those. My favorite sandwhich was from Tommy DiNic's in Reading Terminal Market. It's an Italian Pork sandwhich, not a cheesesteak but man did it blow me away.

77devil
03-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Go to Jim's on 4th and South instead. Pat's and Geno's are for the tourists (according to a cousin of mine who live in NW Philly). Make sure you have some sporks to eat all the steak, cheese, onions and 'shrooms that fall off your Amoroso's roll;).

For those sticking around for the Duke game on Sunday, venture out to Dalessandro's for arguably the best cheesesteak in the area. Gave Ozzie this advice a few years ago but he went to Pat's anyway much to his disappointment. Agree that Jim's is better than Pat's and Geno's both of which should be avoided IMHO.

lotusland
03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Anyone know why the "Broadcasting the NCAA" thread was closed. No big deal just curious. It seemed like a helpful and innocuous thread to me.

Utley
03-21-2013, 12:30 PM
For those sticking around for the Duke game on Sunday, venture out to Dalessandro's for arguably the best cheesesteak in the area. Gave Ozzie this advice a few years ago but he went to Pat's anyway much to his disappointment. Agree that Jim's is better than Pat's and Geno's both of which should be avoided IMHO.

Although I now live in Northern Virginia, I grew up in the Philly suburbs - as you may have guessed from my nickname. Totally agree on the cheesesteak front. I think the best ones you find are more in the local neighborhood delicatessens (we had one called Emmitts in Havertown) versus the more commercial ventures. Of the big three, Jims is much better than Pats or Genos. Pats and Genos are best saved for 2:30 in the morning cheesesteak cravings.

devildeac
03-21-2013, 02:26 PM
I was in Philly recently and went to Pat's, Jim's, and Geno's trying to complete the trifecta of all the cheesesteak places I'd heard about over the years. They all disappointed me; honestly I enjoy the philly cheesesteak at a place in the mall back home in FL more than any of those. My favorite sandwhich was from Tommy DiNic's in Reading Terminal Market. It's an Italian Pork sandwhich, not a cheesesteak but man did it blow me away.

There's a good deli, too, Hershel's. Was in Philly for a meeting last summer and brought back a large, leanm tasty corned beef sammy for myself and one for Ozzie. Heard DiNic's pork was outstanding but there's only so many sammiches I can eat or carry on the plane:o.

OldPhiKap
03-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Has anyone seen or followed Albany this year? Other than roster sizes, I have not gotten a good feel for what they do or how they do it.

Do they play zone or m-2-m?

Bob Green
03-22-2013, 07:07 AM
The current Vegas line has Duke favored by 18.5 points with the over/under set at 133 so Vegas is looking for a score in the neighborhood of 76-57.

Five hours until tip!

moonpie23
03-22-2013, 07:46 AM
what was the "line" on the lehigh game? 12 pts......

boyz better bring it from the GATE every game ........

DevilHorse
03-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Yes, I picked Duke in my brackets.

But like many of you on DBR who go to graduate school, occasionally your graduate school and undergraduate school play each other.

I always liked basketball. I was the manager on our high school team for 3 years. I chose the State University of New York at Albany (now University at Albany) because it was the only state school with an Astronomy program. It also had a great basketball program in the mid 70s. Doc Sauers was the coach and he was a GREAT coach. We were Division III then and every game was a raucous affair. Our rivals and big games included Siena (cross town rival) and Brockport (Jeff Van Gundy's alma mater). Winning was fun. We were not champions, but we consistently won.

When it came time to pick a graduate school, I had a nice choice of them. I was invited to visit Duke the week just before the 1978 squad played in the final four. The campus was abuzz. I still have my chronicle from that wednesday visit with tinkerbell smiling on the cover. I didn't pick my schools based on basketball, but I ended up at two great basketball institutions.

I joined a group that worked in the sub-basement of the Physics building, that gave the university its first Nobel Prize winner Bob Richardson (whose untimely death last month was under-reported on DBR, but Bob was a great basketball fan). We in the physics department had intramural basketball teams, and slept out for basketball tickets too. We were invested. For my years, we came after the Final Four of '78 and I left before the Final Four of '85. I attended the birth of the Krzyzewski era and he is a Great coach.

Albany came to Durham a few years ago to play basketball. It was an early season affair. But to me it was like a parent watching your kids playing a sport in the back yard. The older one was beating up on the younger one, but all would be good in the end.
I checked once with Albany and found (other than my wife who is a Fuqua graduate) there was only a Law student from Albany at Duke at the time we were there. I knew there were not going to be many Albany shirts around the campus.

But now we come to today's winner take all match. A "Harbaugh Bowl" type situation. Some of you go through this several times a year if you have divided loyalties with other local ACC schools. But for today's game, I'll be at work, knowing that I want one team to win and another to make me proud.

I note that Albany women will be playing the Tar Heel women on Sunday in the NCAAs. I know who I'm rooting for there!! GTHC!!

Dr. Larry
DevilHorse
Do Note that Albany is just a stones throw from Saratoga. Giddyup Devils.

OldPhiKap
03-22-2013, 09:06 AM
what was the "line" on the lehigh game? 12 pts......

boyz better bring it from the GATE every game ........

Exactly. Tired of hearing how this game is supposed to be easy.

Go get 'me DUKE!

Gthoma2a
03-22-2013, 11:03 AM
I am amped for this thing to start. I hate to say it, but until I see us play, it is hard to say that much work will be done.

NashvilleDevil
03-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Exactly. Tired of hearing how this game is supposed to be easy.

Go get 'me DUKE!

Duke wins by 25+

wgl1228
03-22-2013, 11:25 AM
I get so nervous before all of these tournament games. I just want to see us make a good run but it always seems like feast or famine. We can compete with anyone so let's go out there and do it. Mason, Curry, and Kelly have to lead and play senior basketball. Cook and Sulaimon should choose their spots wisely and play smart. If these things happen we win.

Mal
03-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Has anyone seen or followed Albany this year?

I definitely have not. However, this was as good a place as I could find to harp on the front page's spelling (repeated, so not a typo) of the hometown of a few Aussies on the Albany team. "Sidney?" Really, guys?

I really like our chances to make a showing in this tournament. And I love, LOVE, that exactly no one is picking Duke to come out of the region. No one. Even the non-pundits. In the pools I'm in, other than the DBR one, of course, it's about 75% Louisville and 20% Michigan State; I'd say at least 40% of people have Creighton beating us. If the team that played at Chapel Hill or in Cameron against Miami just within the last couple weeks shows up in this tournament, we are way too tough of an out to be getting as little talk as we are. Without that stinker against Maryland, we'd be in half of the predicted Final Fours and a popular choice to win it all. Nevertheless, the lack of hype is refreshing and I hope our guys like flying under the radar.

I think our key is Sulaimon. If he can find the magic he showed early in the season (hopefully a week off has helped, and the focus on our bigs and Seth in the tourney often provides opportunities for a guy like him), we can be a devastatingly difficult team to defend and make a very deep run.

Let's go, Duke!

Bob Green
03-22-2013, 11:46 AM
However, this was as good a place as I could find to harp on the front page's spelling (repeated, so not a typo) of the hometown of a few Aussies on the Albany team. "Sidney?" Really, guys?

Would it not be more productive to simply send an email to staff@dukebasketballreport.com and point out the mistake? Utilizing the "neighborhood pub" analogy, what is gained by making fun of the bartender?

pfrduke
03-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Utilizing the "neighborhood pub" analogy, what is gained by making fun of the bartender?

I've often found that depends on how willing the bartender is to take a joke. The bartender is part of the pub family, too.

BlueDevilCorvette!
03-22-2013, 11:56 AM
I definitely have not. However, this was as good a place as I could find to harp on the front page's spelling (repeated, so not a typo) of the hometown of a few Aussies on the Albany team. "Sidney?" Really, guys?

I really like our chances to make a showing in this tournament. And I love, LOVE, that exactly no one is picking Duke to come out of the region. No one. Even the non-pundits. In the pools I'm in, other than the DBR one, of course, it's about 75% Louisville and 20% Michigan State; I'd say at least 40% of people have Creighton beating us. If the team that played at Chapel Hill or in Cameron against Miami just within the last couple weeks shows up in this tournament, we are way too tough of an out to be getting as little talk as we are. Without that stinker against Maryland, we'd be in half of the predicted Final Fours and a popular choice to win it all. Nevertheless, the lack of hype is refreshing and I hope our guys like flying under the radar.

I think our key is Sulaimon. If he can find the magic he showed early in the season (hopefully a week off has helped, and the focus on our bigs and Seth in the tourney often provides opportunities for a guy like him), we can be a devastatingly difficult team to defend and make a very deep run.

Let's go, Duke!

I totally agree! It is very refreshing to be flying under the radar without a single talking head giving Duke any due praise or hype. I guess Duke is chopped liver, yesterday's news, the black sheep, the ugly duckling, etc. Nonetheless, we really need that senior leadership, in addition to a dominant sense of urgency, in every single game we to play throughout this tournament. In hindsight, perhaps the loss to MD may have aided Duke in fine-tuning the parts to have a decent NCAAT run...(Let's hope so)....GO DUKE!

Lotus000
03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Oh, NO....anybody but Len Elmore. :-(

Dukeface88
03-22-2013, 12:23 PM
I like the aggresive press on the first possesion to set the tone on defense.

noworries
03-22-2013, 12:24 PM

Was thinking the same thing...I feel like they went backcourt twice and out of bounds on the baseline once but maybe I'm blind.

dukefan10
03-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Our guys look rested and ready to go!

sporthenry
03-22-2013, 12:26 PM

They seem like they want to make a statement and get out of here early. Nice to see this type of response. Just hope they stay this hungry for 6 games. And I'm still not sure how well this aggressive D will work against a better team but we'll see.

riverside6
03-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Albany...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=19653

77devil
03-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Who's going to score?

TheDuckStore
03-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Good to see the kid in the game

If only for 30 seconds

Andre Buckner Fan
03-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Tyler Thornton is perhaps the coolest, most clutch player on the roster...

pfrduke
03-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Sheed hits his first shot, immediately plays well on the next possession with a nice drive and dish. Good to see him dialed in at the start.

luburch
03-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Plumlee gets stripped more than any big man I've ever seen. Keep the ball high!

noworries
03-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Sheed with a few good plays there...pleased with the start so far

Edit: what pfrduke just said haha

77devil
Quinn and Hairston about to come in. K is rotating a lot more than usual.

Billy Dat
Great start - knocking down open 3s, moving the ball, drawing some fouls, making them take tough shots while hurrying...good stuff.

arnie
03-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Tyler Thornton is perhaps the coolest, most clutch player on the roster...

Uh no. But he needs to take 3s when they don't guard him. Glad he made it.

CLW
03-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Effort/Intensity looks pretty good to start out and the shots are falling and we are getting wide open looks when they double.

Chris Randolph
Albany doing a good job of pulling our bigs out on defense and making them guard longer and more space. Good start for Duke!

Tucknut
This good of a start makes listening to Len a bit more tolerable.

nyesq83
03-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Albany started out playing hard on D, switching and doubling, swatting at the ball (early game, refgs won't call every foul). That is leading to occasional turnovers

I think our guys needed to pick up their intensity level just a bit, Sulaimon is helping bring good energy.

Still need better D on those threes!

wsb3
03-22-2013, 12:41 PM
I was curious about first ten minutes..So far so good..Glad to see Curry get off to a good start..Would love this one to be salted away by half time.Easier on my nerves..:D

Mal
03-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Would it not be more productive to simply send an email to staff@dukebasketballreport.com and point out the mistake? Utilizing the "neighborhood pub" analogy, what is gained by making fun of the bartender?

Wasn't aware of the option. I presume the author's skin is thick enough to take a little public ribbing. We're Dukies - we harp on grammar and such, and should get the name of the largest city in Australia right.

I like the way this game is going so far. Beat these guys into submission early and win by 20+. I'm glad to be watching at work with the sound off, so as not to be exposed to Len Gripemore's distinctive stylings.

snowdenscold
03-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Nothing to do with the game, but I think that Bryce Drew / Valpo astronaut commercial for Axe is hilarious. (was on during TV timeout)

77devil
03-22-2013, 12:48 PM
This good of a start makes listening to Len a bit more tolerable.

Fortunately Reggie Miller is speaking more than Len.

BD80
03-22-2013, 12:48 PM
I definitely have not. However, this was as good a place as I could find to harp on the front page's spelling (repeated, so not a typo) of the hometown of a few Aussies on the Albany team. "Sidney?" Really, guys? ...

Crikey! Aussies? I haven't liked playing against Aussies since Duke got rolled (literally) in the final four by Seton Hall

elvis14
03-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Oh, NO....anybody but Len Elmore. :-(

Why do we get this tool? He's openly hating Duke, calling out officials for not calling fouls for Albany yet silent when we don't get a call. I was really hoping to get away from this bum :-(

nyesq83
Albany is not going away easily. The Lehigh game plus the recent loss to Maryland has given them lots of confidence.

Our guys need to move the ball around, then execute.

BTW Ryan looks a bit tentative on defense, he didn't properly use the baseline and the Albany guard went right past him for the teardrop...

And finish, Plumlee, finish!

BigZ
Mason still refusing to play defense.

CLW
03-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Albany's bigs are beating our bigs off the bounce far too easily.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Albany is not going away easily. The Lehigh game plus the recent loss to Maryland has given them lots of confidence.

I don't like how confidently they're playing...

dukelifer
Defense is lacking intensity . I expected to see more energy on that end

TKG
I know we are winning, but we seem to just be going through the motions; especially on the defensive end.

BigZ
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Albany is horrible

BD80
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Made for TV event that I would watch. Curry family v Miller family in horse. Reggie says he and Cheryl would win!

77devil
03-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Defense is lacking intensity . I expected to see more energy on that end

Agreed and Hairston comes in.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-22-2013, 12:56 PM
How many times is Mason going to turn the ball over? It's only the first half...

nyesq83
03-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Ryan looks a step slow on lateral movement, but nice recovery to make a block.

God I can't stand Elmore.

Reggie, though he destroyed my old Knicks, is such a better announcer, and thankfully he keeps Len in check.

The other announcer, I dislike his monotone.

CLW
03-22-2013, 12:58 PM
The guards are really playing hard on D. If we could get the same effort from the 4 and 5 spots this game would get out of hand in a hurry.

TKG
How many times is Mason going to turn the ball over? It's only the first half...

No more in the first half as he has picked up two fouls........

TheDuckStore
I don't like how confidently they're playing...

I think the Maryland and Lehigh games have given fans a case of the nerves. There are things that could go better, but the pace of this game is trending toward a comfortable Duke win.

Chris Randolph
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
I think our defense is fine. They are on pace for 45-50 points. Albany players are on scholarship to score points just like our players are

arnie
03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Ryan looks a step slow on lateral movement, but nice recovery to make a block.

God I can't stand Elmore.

Reggie, though he destroyed my old Knicks, is such a better announcer, and thankfully he keeps Len in check.

The other announcer, I dislike his monotone.

Whenever we anticipate a pass and make the steal or deflect the ball; Elmore says unforced turnover (as though the guy dribbled off his foot)

kmspeaks
03-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Can someone with a DVR explain to me how Albany was able to call timeout and keep the ball there. If he has possession then how is he able to fall to the ground and roll over without a travel call? If he doesn't have possession how is he able to call timeout?

Not terping, I'm indifferent to the officials so far in this game. Just didn't get a real good look at the play and I'm curious.

luburch
03-22-2013, 01:03 PM
TT just killed Duke's momentum.

nyesq83
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM
No call on double dribble after two questionable fouls called on Duke.

OH SHUT UP LEN!

Chris Randolph
This spurt by Albany is because Thornton decides he is mr. Tough guy and gets 2 stupid fouls. Dumb, selfish

sporthenry
Albany in the bonus. Duke not.

arnie
Whenever we anticipate a pass and make the steal or deflect the ball; Elmore says unforced turnover (as though the guy dribbled off his foot)

Blatant double dribble not called on Albany and Elmore talks right through it

CLW
03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Had a chance to put them away and didn't take it. Punchers chance now nearly at the half.

jay
Can someone with a DVR explain to me how Albany was able to call timeout and keep the ball there. If he has possession then how is he able to fall to the ground and roll over without a travel call? If he doesn't have possession how is he able to call timeout?

Not terping, I'm indifferent to the officials so far in this game. Just didn't get a real good look at the play and I'm curious.

The ball was loose when he went to the floor.

sporthenry
How was that any different than what TT just did and got called for an offensive foul?

dukelifer
03-22-2013, 01:06 PM
I think our defense is fine. They are on pace for 45-50 points. Albany players are on scholarship to score points just like our players are
Duke is getting turnovers but they are not leading to fast breaks. Duke looks slow and they are scoring now

nyesq83
Albany forearm pushes off defender, no call

Tucknut
Refs missed a 10-second call on Albany.

Mal
Off topic, but apparently the Wisconsin brand of "basketball" is so toxic, it ruined the internet and can't be uploaded on March Madness Live.

TKG
03-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Well now we will see if the boys can just flip the switch on intensity.

luburch
03-22-2013, 01:11 PM
All I wanted was a 15 point halftime lead. Was that too much to ask?

77devil
03-22-2013, 01:11 PM
When was the last time you saw K do the halftime routine?

CLW
03-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Lost opportunity to put this one away early. Now Albany has a chance and the crowd is just waiting for a reason to get loud and support them.

sporthenry
Albany is playing pretty well. Shooting good enough to stay in the game. Duke has forced some turnovers but given up some easy baskets. Offensively, they can't turn the ball over.

nyesq83
K's losing his voice already.

Sulaimon needs to get a layup early in the second half. After missing two, he's 2-4 on free throws.

Gotta get him scoring.

jay
03-22-2013, 01:13 PM

Interestingly enough, last NCAA tournament. He did the halftime routine during the Lehigh game, IIRC.

nyesq83
03-22-2013, 01:13 PM

The answer is "yes."

Chris Randolph
03-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Up 9 at the half and didn't play Plumlee or Cook the final 5 minutes of the half, I will settle for a 9 point lead. If Thornton doesn't go stupid when we had the ball up 11 this would be a 15 point lead. Now if we let Albany hang around with under 10 minutes left then you can bet the refs will turn against Duke. We need to be +7-14 points in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half to really stretch the lead

slower
03-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Not exactly awe-inspiring.

sporthenry
03-22-2013, 01:16 PM
K's losing his voice already.

Sulaimon needs to get a layup early in the second half. After missing two, he's 2-4 on free throws.

Gotta get him scoring.

He hit 2 more after that. He is 4-6 from the line and his last 3 was all but in. He is playing well. I think they need to jump start Cook but as K said, foul trouble kept Cook and Mason off the court.

DukeFanSince1990
03-22-2013, 01:18 PM

If the refs called the obvious traveling and offensive foul that both led to 3 pointers it would be.

Jackson
03-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Why is it that we didn't play defense with any intensity in the first half? The only inspired defensive possession I saw was the last one. I can't believe how easily Albany is getting into the lane. This game is a win but it definitely has me concerned for Sunday.

COYS
03-22-2013, 01:21 PM
He hit 2 more after that. He is 4-6 from the line and his last 3 was all but in. He is playing well. I think they need to jump start Cook but as K said, foul trouble kept Cook and Mason off the court.

It wasn't the prettiest first half from Duke, but it was still pretty good. We played well defensively. We missed a lot of opportunities on offense. The alley oop that was waved off because the ball was already in the cylinder, that missed gimme from Mason, a few careless turnovers, etc. On the other hand, Albany had a lot go right, in part because of their tough play, but also because of some simple luck. During their 8-0 run that took away Duke's 13 point lead, they got two threes off of some weirdness. One was an obvious travel that was oddly not called. The other was an obvious push off, step back (still a great shot, but they got lucky that wasn't called). Take away those two makes, Duke is up by 15 at the half and no one is complaining. If they have to rely on out of control dribbles that happen to find the right shooters and push-offs to score most of their points, we'll be in good shape.

BD80
03-22-2013, 01:21 PM

I'll bet CBS indicated that they would appreciate Coach K doing the interview. Nuff said.

Switched to the Wisconsin game at the half. FUGLY basketball

sporthenry
03-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Why is it that we didn't play defense with any intensity in the first half? The only inspired defensive possession I saw was the last one. I can't believe how easily Albany is getting into the lane. This game is a win but it definitely has me concerned for Sunday.

The reason they are getting into the lane is the same reason other teams got into the lane. Not b/c of uninspired defense but because Duke is trying to pressure the ball and turn them over and when they swing it, they are open.

hudlow
Interestingly enough, last NCAA tournament. He did the halftime routine during the Lehigh game, IIRC.

Caught my attention too, maybe he didn't want Chris ambushed with a Northwestern question....?

COYS

You do realize that Albany scored all of 26 points in the half, right? I thought our defense was good for the most part. It wasn't perfect, but it was solid.

JamminJoe
03-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Ugh...we will not go far in the tourney with this kind of porous defense. On defense, Duke still looks like they're playing in December rather than being a well-oiled machine in March.

BD80
03-22-2013, 01:25 PM
... The alley oop that was waved off because the ball was already in the cylinder, ...

Under NBA rules the basket would have counted, because you can't score directly on the inbound pass. In college it doesn't matter how the ball gets into the cylinder.

_Gary
03-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Albany is not a very good team. Nowhere near as good as Lehigh was last year. If we can't beat this team by 20+ points it tells me we aren't nearly as good as I thought we were. Hopefully we come out and make a statement in the 2nd half of this game. But there's no good reason for this to be anything less than a blowout. Most of the time, when Duke makes deep runs in the Tournament, they have strong performances during the first weekend of play.

77devil
03-22-2013, 01:27 PM
You do realize that Albany scored all of 26 points in the half, right? I thought our defense was good for the most part. It wasn't perfect, but it was solid.

Too many uncontested threes and too much easy dribble penetration. The defense was ok but lacked intensity. As the OP wrote, it's more about Sunday.

DukeFanSince1990
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM

And it should have been 20 except for those calls a blind man could have made. There, dead horse beaten.

jipops
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Ugh...we will not go far in the tourney with this kind of porous defense. On defense, Duke still looks like they're playing in December rather than being a well-oiled machine in March.

I would love for Duke to be playing the kind of defense they were playing in December.

Gthoma2a
03-22-2013, 01:29 PM

To be fair, we don't even have Mason in the game. We are playing this game like a scrimmage. It may or may not pay off, but this is a game that we don't HAVE to play all out to win. Whether it hurts us momentum-wise is yet to be seen.

TheDuckStore
03-22-2013, 01:31 PM

No joke... the AZ Sweet 16 game from 2011

Jackson
03-22-2013, 01:31 PM
The reason they are getting into the lane is the same reason other teams got into the lane. Not b/c of uninspired defense but because Duke is trying to pressure the ball and turn them over and when they swing it, they are open.

Duke isn't doing a good job of ball pressure either. No reason this game should be this close.

BD80
03-22-2013, 01:32 PM

Albany looks like one of the teams in the humorous commercial that find out they made the tourney because it was expanded to 256 teams. Holding them to 26 is by no means a measure of adequate defense.

COYS
Under NBA rules the basket would have counted, because you can't score directly on the inbound pass. In college it doesn't matter how the ball gets into the cylinder.

Just to clarify, I wasn't disputing the call. I know it shouldn't have counted. I was just saying it was a preventable error for Duke (and I like that play from the sideline. A little unexpected!)

sporthenry
We were 18/19 point favorites, we are up 9. We were 12.5 point favorites for the first half as teams usually slow their scoring down but they aren't all that off pace.

Biggest problem has been Duke's turnovers.

CLW
5 minutes we need to put this thing away.

elvis14
03-22-2013, 01:34 PM
And it should have been 20 except for those calls a blind man could have made. There, dead horse beaten.

I hate to say it but he's right. What bothered me weren't the obvious missed calls in the last 5 minutes. It was the way we couldn't buy a call in the first 10 min (they even showed a replay of Mason getting his arm grabbed down low but nothing was said b/c the point they were trying to make had to do with the pass out to the 3pt line). Letting a team that's losing grab, charge, etc. and only starting to make calls when the game gets close is just a crap way to call a game IMHO.

Oh and to make matters worse, everyone in the nation is listening to Len Elmore and if they aren't paying attention the think that "Duke gets all the calls". That's just great.

Go Duke. The 2nd half just started and they called a foul already...maybe they pulled their head out at halftime!

nyesq83
03-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Quit triple teaming and allowing threes, please!

BD80
Mason gets shoved with two hands going up for his hook, Len calls it a "fade-away"

gus
did we pick up another Plumlee brother? Jason Plumlee? am I the only one who heard that?

SCMatt33
03-22-2013, 01:36 PM
We are expending all of our energy on offense right now.

sporthenry
03-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Is everyone happy now? We have our starters out there who sat for foul trouble and are now up 14?

77devil
Quit triple teaming and allowing threes, please!

That's why Rasheed just went to the bench.

nyesq83
We are expending all of our energy on offense right now.

As long as we are outscoring them, it'll have to do

SCMatt33
Mason is literally standing still on defense right now. Even on a rebound at his feet, he is standing under the basket. We're lucky they missed their last few open jumpers. I understand not wanting to foul, but he's playing like he's got 4 right now and it will burn us eventually.

CLW
03-22-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm sorry but I don't like this team extending the ball pressure if we would just play 2010 style defense we'd be in much better shape. It might work against Albany today but after that I think we could be in big trouble getting beat by the dribble drive.

_Gary
03-22-2013, 01:40 PM
The offense is fine right now, but the defense is just horrendous. Cook did a good job on the last stand staying in front of his man, and good things resulted with an easy layup for TT on the other end. But for the most part, the Danes are easily getting dribble penetration.

elvis14
03-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Mason is literally standing still on defense right now. Even on a rebound at his feet, he is standing under the basket. We're lucky they missed their last few open jumpers. I understand not wanting to foul, but he's playing like he's got 4 right now and it will burn us eventually.

Not sure if you've noticed but Mason plays most games like he's got 4 fouls :-( He's a big mobile kid but his defense isn't what it should be. If Ryan were as mobile/athletic as Mason he'd be an absolute beast.

SCMatt33
03-22-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry but I don't like this team extending the ball pressure if we would just play 2010 style defense we'd be in much better shape. It might work against Albany today but after that I think we could be in big trouble getting beat by the dribble drive.

The issue with that is that it really won't help our rebounding against better teams.

BD80
Duke dominates the college basketball tv world: games shown, tv announcers, tv analysts, and now ... commercials! Go Ken Jeong!

Mal
Out of curiosity, are these in-game threads always so filled with the negative doomsayers and perfection expectors? Good gracious. Give it a little time. We're up 14, pretty much should have been up 12 after 20 minutes. What do you people want? We don't play VCU's style or Syracuse's weird system where we're going to be up 25 in the first 5 minutes against tournament teams.

Namtilal
This is the worst, least inspired defense I can remember seeing Duke play. This team has become a group of trick shot artists and I do not expect them to win another game by only trying on offense. The defensive effort is completely unacceptable.

We cannot coast against such an inferior opponent and then turn it on again Sunday. Great shooting alone will not beat a real tourney team.

TKG
03-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Greg Anthony nailed it during halftime when he observed that the reason Duke has struggled in the tournament over the past several years is because the defense has not been up to Duke's normal standards.

Chris Randolph
03-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Mason plays like he is in the nba. Little effort on defense, all about offense. Disappointing

CLW
03-22-2013, 01:43 PM
The issue with that is that it really won't help our rebounding against better teams.

That's probably true but we aren't forcing many turnovers with the ball pressure either and rebounding won't matter if its a layup drill / wide open 3s.

elvis14
03-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Out of curiosity, are these in-game threads always so filled with the negative doomsayers and perfection expectors? Good gracious. Give it a little time. We're up 14, pretty much should have been up 12 after 20 minutes. What do you people want? We don't play VCU's style or Syracuse's weird system where we're going to be up 25 in the first 5 minutes against tournament teams.

The irony for me is that one of the things I dislike about UNCheats fans is that they are way too harsh on their own team because they have so little respect for any other team.

Furniture
03-22-2013, 01:44 PM

I agree. It's frustrating!

Chris Randolph
Albany is hitting some big shots. Say what you will about our defense, the danes have impressed me whenever they actually get a shot off

SCMatt33
Give some credit to our guards right now. The big guys have missed some rebounds they should have had, but Cook and Thornton have done a good job digging down to get the 50/50 ball. Still don't know what we're doing not even getting close to three point shooters.

elvis14
03-22-2013, 01:45 PM

How will packing it in the paint and not extending out defensive pressure out far far away from the hoop like we did in 2010 hurt our rebounding?

_Gary
Elmore really needs to go. He's such a biased tool it makes the game completely unenjoyable.

DukeFanSince1990

Its like I am at insidecarowhina.com

NashvilleDevil
03-22-2013, 01:46 PM
This is the worst, least inspired defense I can remember seeing Duke play. This team has become a group of trick shot artists and I do not expect them to win another game by only trying on offense. The defensive effort is completely unacceptable.

We cannot coast against such an inferior opponent and then turn it on again Sunday. Great shooting alone will not beat a real tourney team.

Wow.

Bluealum
03-22-2013, 01:46 PM

I am never really on in-games so I had the same thought ;).

Man Seth looks brilliant. Cook looks good. Sulaimon started well but his D is less than tenacious. Kelly looks a bit slow but is playing intelligently as usual. Mason looks a little flat on defense, but hopefully will pick up. TT and Josh have the same demeanor no matter what, or so it seems to me.

We don't look in danger of a flameout. Survive and advance!

Mal
03-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Greg Anthony nailed it during halftime when he observed that the reason Duke has struggled in the tournament over the past several years is because the defense has not been up to Duke's normal standards.

By "several," did he mean "two," considering we won this thing in 2010?

SCMatt33
03-22-2013, 01:49 PM
How will packing it in the paint and not extending out defensive pressure out far far away from the hoop like we did in 2010 hurt our rebounding?

I didn't say it would hurt, but it won't help much. Packing it in doesn't help guys who are losing one on one battles for boards. Kelly can't really jump right now, and Mason is just baffling with what he's doing and not doing inside on the defensive end. How do you play with fear of a third for 5 minutes, then take a blocking call in the restricted area?

Frobisher
03-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Elmore really needs to go. He's such a biased tool it makes the game completely unenjoyable.

we also get gems like: "he had eyes behind the back of his head."

Chris Randolph
03-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Did Ryan use all his bullets against Miami and Va Tech? :(

rsvman
03-22-2013, 01:54 PM
I hope Ryan gets his shot back soon.

Sunday would be good.

nyesq83
03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
"Mason" Iati is killing it.

TKG
03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
By "several," did he mean "two," considering we won this thing in 2010?

Fair point, but Arizona shredded us in 2011 and we did not make past the Sweet 16. A one man Lehigh squad ran through us like a bunch of statues last year and we did not survive the first weekend, I think his comment is accurate.

Namtilal
03-22-2013, 01:56 PM
I agree. It's frustrating!

I can understand your feeling this way, but I just don't understand how such a talented team can fail to dominate this game. I've seen enough basketball to know this style of play means an early exit, while I know we are capable of so much more. Our pressure defense is giving Albany so many wide open jump shots that more talented teams will covert into 2 or 3 points.

Remember Zoubek aggressively forcing Hayward to shoot a fall away, low percentage shot at the end of the title game? Why can't mason do that instead of disappearing most times he is challenged?

Why do our guards keep slacking off their defenders and allowing wide open threes, shot in rhythm?

SCMatt33
03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Now we get to see if we have more energy in the last ten minutes than we did in the last few games.

nyesq83
03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Crowd is getting into it.