PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Kevin Streelman

jimsumner
03-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Just tapped in to win Tampa Bay Championship. Kudos!!!

Indoor66
03-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Congratulations to Kevin.

Is this the first men's tour win for a Dukie since the days of Souchak and Wall?

jimsumner
03-17-2013, 06:07 PM

Is this the first men's tour win for a Dukie since the days of Souchak and Wall?

Joe Ogilvie won five or six years ago.

DukieInKansas
03-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Congratulations, Kevin!

sagegrouse
03-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Joe Ogilvie won five or six years ago.

Joey O.'s was an official tour win, but it was staged opposite one of the majors (British?). While he got a two-year tour exemption, he didn't get an invite to the Masters. Kevin's gonna play at Augusta this year.

I watched almost all of the final round (as you can tell from my Off-Topic posts). Kevin played boldly throughout the round. Kevin won the tournament by going for really tough pin locations on two difficult par 3's (13 and 17). He birdied both holes. He also drove beautifully -- long and down the middle on every one of the closing holes.

He closed with a flourish, a six-inch tap-in for a two-stroke win.

sagegrouse

arnie
03-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Joey O.'s was an official tour win, but it was staged opposite one of the majors (British?). While he got a two-year tour exemption, he didn't get an invite to the Masters. Kevin's gonna play at Augusta this year.

I watched almost all of the final round (as you can tell from my Off-Topic posts). Kevin played boldly throughout the round. Kevin won the tournament by going for really tough pin locations on two difficult par 3's (13 and 17). He birdied both holes. He also drove beautifully -- long and down the middle on every one of the closing holes.

sagegrouse
Yea, he played the back 9 with a Mickelson flair. Except he never was in danger of bogeying a hole on a pretty difficult course. Maybe he'll stay hot for Arnie's tourney this week.

fitimi1
03-17-2013, 11:16 PM
And could not have happened to a nicer guy.

SCMatt33
03-17-2013, 11:30 PM

sagegrouse

I might be wrong, but wasn't the Master's point moot for Joe anyway? I believe it was only a few years ago that Augusta revived the rule giving and invite to every regular event winner on tour.

duke79
03-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Just tapped in to win Tampa Bay Championship. Kudos!!!

Yes, Kudos to Kevin. He played great the last round, on a tough course, and played especially well down the last stretch of holes to hold on to his one-shot round, when he could easily have choked and blown the lead. Let's hope this win give him added confidence to continue to his good playing.

75Crazie
03-18-2013, 03:15 PM

I could have sworn that Bill Mallon won an event back in the 70s, but I just looked at his Wikipedia biography and it says his best finish was 5th. Congratulations, Kevin!