PDA

View Full Version : 2013 South (Arlington, TX) Region Discussion (Kansas #1)

hurleyfor3
03-17-2013, 05:53 PM
This thread is for discussion of impending and potential matchups in the South region. Regional finals are Friday/Sunday at the Cowboys' stadium in Arlington, Texas.

hurleyfor3
03-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Kansas is the #1 and is the second-strongest #1. Regional winner plays the East winner in the Final Four.

pfrduke
03-17-2013, 06:15 PM
UNC got shafted to get an 8 seed.

-jk
03-17-2013, 06:15 PM
UNC got shafted to get an 8 seed.

But love - just love! - Roy opposite Kansas.

-jk

hurleyfor3
03-17-2013, 06:16 PM
I might root for unc just to get through to Kansas. You think Duke got shafted...

SCMatt33
03-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Region of Doom here. I was upset for about half a second that we got L'ville in Indy over KU in Texas, but the rest of that South changed that thinking big time.

OldPhiKap
03-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Absolutely brutal region.

devildeac
03-17-2013, 06:20 PM
But love - just love! - Roy opposite Kansas.

-jk

Shoot, they gotta get by 'Nova first. Go Wildcats!

mr. synellinden
03-17-2013, 06:22 PM
That region is just brutal. Any of the top 4 were looking like potential 1 seeds recently. Florida as a 3 and Michigan as a 4 were the two teams I was afraid of. And they're in the same region.

Can't believe UNC got an 8 and matched up potentially with Kansas.

MCFinARL
03-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Kansas is the #1 and is the second-strongest #1. Regional winner plays the East winner in the Final Four.

I don't really understand why Kansas was the second overall seed, given how bad their losses were (compared to, for example, Indiana's losses), but they were punished for that with this absurdly difficult bracket. I will be amazed if Kansas gets to the Final Four. That being said, my brackets the past few years have not exactly won me any money.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Looks like my boys have some work to do.

OldPhiKap
03-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Looks like my boys have some work to do.

Very tough draw.

brevity
03-17-2013, 07:10 PM
I might root for unc just to get through to Kansas. You think Duke got shafted...

No. You root for UNC to lose to Nova, and then for Roy to bust out the black turtleneck and Kansas sticker two days later.

(Of course, Kansas getting that far is not a given. What's the last 16 seed to have experience making the Sweet 16?)

hurleyfor3
03-17-2013, 07:15 PM
No. You root for UNC to lose to Nova, and then for Roy to bust out the black turtleneck and Kansas sticker two days later.

I did say might.

Winner of Vcu/Michigan makes the Final Four.

FerryFor50
03-17-2013, 08:14 PM
No one has mentioned this, but how in the WORLD does UCLA get a 6 seed????

They lost the PAC 12 tournament to Oregon. Oregon has a better record. Oregon is 38 in Kenpom. UCLA is 45. The only place where UCLA is "better" is in RPI (26 to 47). Plus, UCLA just lost one of their best players for the year.

Oregon got a 12 seed.

Completely bogus.

DukeAlumBS
03-18-2013, 12:14 PM
My friends I have Georgetown winning this bracket. Michigan did not dazzle me and was erratic in their season. On top of this, we beat them just last year by 15-20, at Durham. I do not think Michigan will do well here. I have seen Georgetown a few times, and to me a stronger, tougher team and will win this bracket.
Have nice day

Jim

superdave
03-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Florida is interesting. 26-7 overall, 14-4 in the SEC. Lost in the SECT finals. They are #1 in the KenPom (5o, 2d) and he has them at a 1 in 5 shot at winning it all in his Log5. However, they are a #3 seed which could be due to a lack of respect for the SEC.

Solid wins -

Marquette, Wisco, Ole Miss.

Losses -

Arizona (1 pt), K State (by 6), Arkansas (11), Mizzou (3), Tenn 6), UK (4), Ole Miss 3).

To me, it's a tossup between them Kansas and Georgetown. I dont like Michigan's 5-5 finish to the year. I dont like any of them. Yet I do not hate any of them. Kansas has McLemore, the Hoyas have Porter and UF has a solid backcourt in Boynton, Wilbekin and Rosario.

Ths region seems like a total tossup to me. When in doubt, pick a lower seed. I'm going with Florida.

Phoenix22
03-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Don't fall in love with Florida's KenPom stats here. They had a very strange season as they were very efficient on offense and defense as those stats reflect but couldn't win any close games. They were 0-6 in games decided by single digits. Yes, this means they blew out a lot of teams, but it also means they have no experience winning the close ones. There are close ones in the tournament. This team chokes.

FerryFor50
03-19-2013, 08:30 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/19/2763680/roy-confused-stunned-about-uncs.html

I don't think Roy "gets it."

They lost 10 games. They didn't play anyone out of conference of note other than UNLV at UNC, with Moser still working his way back from injury.

Then they finish just above UVA (who didn't even get in) in the ACC and don't win the ACC tourney. And got blasted by Duke.

I'm shocked he's confused. :D

sporthenry
03-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Don't fall in love with Florida's KenPom stats here. They had a very strange season as they were very efficient on offense and defense as those stats reflect but couldn't win any close games. They were 0-6 in games decided by single digits. Yes, this means they blew out a lot of teams, but it also means they have no experience winning the close ones. There are close ones in the tournament. This team chokes.

I guess this is where stats will meet general convention. Is there such a thing as choking? Or is it just being very unlucky?

I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle but I don't think it is fair to just say Florida will choke like they did in the desert but they don't have a go to scorer at the end of games so that might hurt them.

davekay1971
03-20-2013, 10:15 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/19/2763680/roy-confused-stunned-about-uncs.html

I don't think Roy "gets it."

They lost 10 games. They didn't play anyone out of conference of note other than UNLV at UNC, with Moser still working his way back from injury.

Then they finish just above UVA (who didn't even get in) in the ACC and don't win the ACC tourney. And got blasted by Duke.

I'm shocked he's confused. :D

Al Featherston's front page column discussed the impact of coaches complaining about their seeding or their draw. As he noted, when that happens, their team usually doesn't go very far. I think Al stated in his column that if he heard Roy complaining about UNC's seed or draw, he'd be picking Villanova for the win.

I actually think Roy's got some cause for complaint. Yes, on the one hand, you look at UNC's record against their top competition, and it's pretty sorry. They didn't beat ANYBODY except UNLV and, as you noted, that was in the Dean Dome, with UNLV below full strength. And UNC got blown out by most of the top competition they faced. And...

Ok, so maybe Roy doesn't have cause for complaint.

Deal with it Roy. It'll give you another chance to break out you KU button. And for me to wear the Kansas t-shirt I bought way back in April, 2008...

Wheat/"/"/"
03-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Watching these first round games makes me realize that UNC will have to get some quality minutes from freshman Joel James if they hope to make any noise this year.

Tripping William
03-21-2013, 09:42 PM
I think these UPS commercials are giving Billy Donovan an unfair recruiting advantage. To day nothing of what Applebee's is doing for Digger Phelps.

sbroc012
03-21-2013, 10:59 PM
anyone watching the VCU game?
should be an interesting game against Michigan, certainly don't envy Michigan's position, I would not want to have to participate in that track meet!

sporthenry
03-21-2013, 11:10 PM
should be an interesting game against Michigan, certainly don't envy Michigan's position, I would not want to have to participate in that track meet!

I like Michigan. They didn't give their starters a lot of rest which surprised me but their game didn't appear to be that taxing. And can you press Burke? The press works great against teams who don't have a PG or can't handle it but there is a reason they don't press much in the NBA. It is strength against strength. UM doesn't turn the ball over, VCU tries to turn people over. But I'm going with the AA PG in that match up.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-21-2013, 11:10 PM

Yeah, I picked Michigan to beat VCU, but after watching this game, I'm starting to regret that decision.

If VCU makes it to the Sweet 16, they are an awful matchup for Kansas, as they have shaky PG play.

sbroc012
03-21-2013, 11:24 PM
I like Michigan. They didn't give their starters a lot of rest which surprised me but their game didn't appear to be that taxing. And can you press Burke? The press works great against teams who don't have a PG or can't handle it but there is a reason they don't press much in the NBA. It is strength against strength. UM doesn't turn the ball over, VCU tries to turn people over. But I'm going with the AA PG in that match up.

It's not necessarily the press that I'm referring to, more so the pace of play. Even if Michigan doesn't turn it over if they don't continually hit shots and put up points VCU is the type of team where you feel like you are beating them or playing even then all of the sudden in 2 minutes time they are up by 10. It takes a very disciplined team to beat them. Natural tendency for a player when they beat a press is to attack the rim, but that is what VCU wants if you do beat the press because if you miss the quick shot they get up and down and put up points faster than you can blink. To beat them you have to beat the press then pull it out and run your offense to shorten the game (like St. Louis did Sunday and even Duke did earlier this season). Most teams fall into the trap that VCU has where you put up that quick shot then they have you running back to play d with your back to them. The name of their game is not 40 turnovers, its 40 minutes of Havoc. Havoc in general creates the pace of play they want.

sporthenry
03-21-2013, 11:38 PM
It's not necessarily the press that I'm referring to, more so the pace of play. Even if Michigan doesn't turn it over if they don't continually hit shots and put up points VCU is the type of team where you feel like you are beating them or playing even then all of the sudden in 2 minutes time they are up by 10. It takes a very disciplined team to beat them. Natural tendency for a player when they beat a press is to attack the rim, but that is what VCU wants if you do beat the press because if you miss the quick shot they get up and down and put up points faster than you can blink. To beat them you have to beat the press then pull it out and run your offense to shorten the game (like St. Louis did Sunday and even Duke did earlier this season). Most teams fall into the trap that VCU has where you put up that quick shot then they have you running back to play d with your back to them. The name of their game is not 40 turnovers, its 40 minutes of Havoc. Havoc in general creates the pace of play they want.

Fair enough, but again, I'm trusting the best PG in the country to pick his spots. I just think people will overrate VCU based off a 40 point drubbing of a team without a PG and that UM is one of their worst match ups. Michigan doesn't play that fast so I think they'll be able to slow it down when need be. I guess we'll find out in 2 days though.

Greg_Newton
03-21-2013, 11:51 PM
So... Smart pressing while up 40 against one of his best friends?

Doesn't seem quite right.

jipops
03-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Everything clicking for the heels right now. This game is already over. Looks like a 1 vs 16 matchup. Kansas will have their hands full.

Duvall
03-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Kansas will have their hands full.

Why would we think that game would be unlike every other game UNC has played against a currently-ranked team?

rsvman
03-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Florida-gulf coast vs. Georgetown is a much more interesting game.

jipops
03-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Why would we think that game would be unlike every other game UNC has played against a currently-ranked team?

The game at the Deam Dome wasn't exactly a struggle for us. Miami didn't have problems either in 2 of their matchups

pfrduke
03-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Villanova also went on a nice run to close to within 8 at the half. That one's far from over.

Also, does it feel to anyone else like UNC and Nova play in the postseason a lot, or am I just misremembering things. I think they met in either 05 or 06, and then in the 09 final four, so 3 in 9 seasons isn't a huge amount, I suppose.

BlueandWhite
03-22-2013, 08:20 PM

Absolutely no way that this is a 15 seed. They are quick and very athletic, move the ball well, play D and they are playing like they will also beat the winner of SD State/Oklahoma. Very well-coached team. Wow - let's be very, very happy we were paired with Albany.

Tucknut
03-22-2013, 08:21 PM

And more fun to watch. These FGC guys are tearing it up!!

luburch
03-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Florida Gulf Coast may be the best 15 seed I have ever seen. I hope they can hang onto this.

77devil
03-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Absolutely no way that this is a 15 seed. They are quick and very athletic, move the ball well, play D and they are playing like they will also beat the winner of SD State/Oklahoma. Very well-coached team. Wow - let's be very, very happy we were paired with Albany.

You do remember Duke beat FGC by more than 20.

Ichabod Drain
03-22-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm glad FGCU is showing up and representing the A-Sun, but words cannot describe how much I loathe their PG Brett Comer.

pfrduke
03-22-2013, 08:32 PM
You do remember Duke beat FGC by more than 20.

Yes, although that was in Cameron. And except for a single big run* they hung with us most of the game.

*of course, that single big run was huge, if I'm remembering correctly. I think on the order of 30-0. So there's that.

moonpie23
03-22-2013, 08:41 PM
FGC showing a couple of cracks...........gtown hitting some 3's to rattle them

mr. synellinden
03-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Everything clicking for the heels right now. This game is already over. Looks like a 1 vs 16 matchup. Kansas will have their hands full.

Um...

jipops
03-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Um...

It's a jinx strategy

rsvman
03-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Rumors of villanova's decline may have been a bit premature.
UNC pulling an NC State here in the second half.

Ben1029
03-22-2013, 08:50 PM
The refs are really giving G-Town all the calls right now, even the announcers are talking about it.

Bojangles4Eva
03-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Great in-game comment on IC...

"LOL Roy with the patented 5 new players. That'll show 'em, dadgummit."

rsvman
03-22-2013, 08:52 PM
The refs are really giving G-Town all the calls right now, even the announcers are talking about it.

And you can always trust the announcers when it comes to that kind of thing. (Rolling eye smilie here)

rsvman
03-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Furious comeback in progress by G'town. Two quick threes in a row, one off a steal.

CDu
03-22-2013, 09:01 PM
I hope FGCU wins just because it is great watching Comer toss alleyoops all over the place. This is silly.

luburch
03-22-2013, 09:02 PM
That FGCU alley oop. Oh my lord.

dukelifer
Furious comeback in progress by G'town. Two quick threes in a row, one off a steal.

What a gutsy play to get a dunk by FGC. Wow!

jipops
Wow, now that was an oop.

Ben1029
03-22-2013, 09:04 PM
And you can always trust the announcers when it comes to that kind of thing. (Rolling eye smilie here)

They just swallow the whistle when FGCU has the ball.

dukelifer
03-22-2013, 09:08 PM

And don't call the foul on the correct player who hits 2 threes

77devil
03-22-2013, 09:09 PM

Or call the foul on the wrong player. Starks should be out of the game.

CDu
03-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Ballgame. FGCU will live to fight another day.

1 24 90
03-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Brett Comer (Austin Rivers' backcourt teammate in high school) now has more NCAA Tourney wins than Austin. Crazy.

And Georgetown has now been eliminated by a double digit seed in its last 5 tourney appearances.

moonpie23
03-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Down goes georgetown!!!!

rsvman
03-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Down goes georgetown!!!!
After suffering the exact same indignity last year, somehow these kinds of upsets are not quite as much fun as they used to be.

rsvman
03-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Carolina game heating up, too. Now a 1-point game with 2:14 to go

NashvilleDevil
03-22-2013, 09:22 PM
After suffering the exact same indignity last year, somehow these kinds of upsets are not quite as much fun as they used to be.

This one is different because FGCU has been NCAA Division I for 2 years. At least Lehigh has some tradition with their athletics.

pfrduke
03-22-2013, 09:27 PM
15/2 is the new 12/5

Ichabod Drain
03-22-2013, 09:28 PM
This one is different because FGCU has been NCAA Division I for 2 years. At least Lehigh has some tradition with their athletics.

6 years

dukelifer
03-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Carolina game heating up, too. Now a 1-point game with 2:14 to go

UNC has this one. I hope it is their last

rsvman
03-22-2013, 09:34 PM

I'm just saying that I'm a little more sympathetic for the losers than I was before. That's all. I still enjoyed watching the upset, but would no longer want to post something like "down goes Georgetown!"

NashvilleDevil
03-22-2013, 09:36 PM
6 years

They've had an athletic program for 6 years but they were not a full fledged D1 member until 2011.

75Crazie
03-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Au contraire, misery loves company.

gofurman
03-22-2013, 09:42 PM
They've had an athletic program for 6 years but they were not a full fledged D1 member until 2011.

Not sure? . They have been D1 for 6 years but not eligible for postseason until the past two years (probationary period when you move up a division) - NOT SURE but I was thinking they were D2 a few years before that. Maybe they started as D1 probationary 6 years ago?
Do know the school started classes in 1997.

"Hours after his team won the Atlantic Sun tournament to make the NCAA tournament in just its second year of eligibility, Florida Gulf Coast coach Andy Enfield weighed in on the seed he thought the Eagles deserved.

"I don't see how we're a 15 or 16 seed," he said. "I think we need to be higher than that based on the season we've had and the teams we've beaten."

Florida Gulf Coast received a No. 15 seed on Selection Sunday despite Enfield's protests, but the Eagles proved their coach's point five nights later. They became the seventh No. 15 seed ever to win an NCAA tournament game on Friday night, adding to Georgetown's recent history of March misery with a 78-68 opening-round upset.

Unlike last year's stunners by No. 15 seeds Lehigh and Norfolk State, this one didn't even really come down to the final possession. Behind 24 points from Atlantic Sun player of the year Sherwood Brown and 23 from fellow guard Bernard Thompson, Florida Gulf Coast extended a two-point halftime lead to as many as 19 points and never let the Hoyas any closer than five points down the stretch.

The historic upset by Florida Gulf Coast is merely the latest remarkable chapter in Enfield's charmed life story. The former elite shooter at Division III Johns Hopkins has enjoyed success as an entrepreneur, married a lingerie and bathing suit model and risen in his current industry from skill instructor, to NBA assistant to college head coach.

Building Florida Gulf Coast into a winner only two years into his tenure and only six years after it began its transition to Division I may be Enfield's greatest achievement. The Eagles lost 20 0r more games under predecessor Dave Balza each of their first four seasons in Division I, but Enfield led them to a respectable 15-17 record last season and to 24 wins in the regular season this year.

------

Not bad for a school founded in 1991, with its first classes being held in 1997, and a team playing only their fifth season of Division 1 ball and playing in their first NCAA Tournament

moonpie23
03-22-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm just saying that I'm a little more sympathetic for the losers than I was before. That's all. I still enjoyed watching the upset, but would no longer want to post something like "down goes Georgetown!"

looking back at my post, it IS a bit over the top........more like..

"there goes georgetown".....

77devil
03-22-2013, 09:47 PM
15/2 is the new 12/5

Not really. There are three 12 vs 5 "upsets" this time.

dukelifer
03-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Kansas is not giving me confidence that they can end UNC's tourney dreams.

Duvall
03-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Too late to vote for Western Kentucky?

BlueDevilBrowns
03-22-2013, 10:59 PM

Yeah, with Georgetown falling and Kansas looking weak, UNC has a decent chance to get to Atlanta.

It's shaping up to be alot like 2000 when they beat an overrated Stanford in the 2nd round and all the other top seeds lost in their region. I remember UNC beating a couple of nobody's to get to the final 4 that year.

Dukeface88
03-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Too late to vote for Western Kentucky?

Too early to hope for a 15 v 16 Elite Eight?

OldSchool
03-22-2013, 11:02 PM

Can Kansas end Western Kentucky's tourney dreams?

I remember #1 seed Duke being down at the half to #16 Mississippi Valley State. As I remember, Johnny Dawkins put the team on his back to get the W. I don't know how many times a #1 seed has been down at the half to a #16, but it can't be very many.

Duvall
03-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Yeah, with Georgetown falling and Kansas looking weak, UNC has a decent chance to get to Atlanta.

It's shaping up to be alot like 2000 when they beat an overrated Stanford in the 2nd round and all the other top seeds lost in their region. I remember UNC beating a couple of nobody's to get to the final 4 that year.

Kansas notwithstanding, UNC's chances of prevailing over Michigan's shooting or VCU's press are not good.

UrinalCake
03-23-2013, 12:32 AM
Wow, amazing effort by Western Kentucky. They were in control for most of the first half and had a horrendous second half of shooting yet still hung in there. Usually when a lower seed threatens an upset it's because they happen to hit a lot of threes, but Western Kentucky was 3-20 from 3 and just 32% from the field overall. Really impressive how hard they fought to put a major, major scare to Kansas.

Greg_Newton
03-23-2013, 12:41 AM
At one point, WKU was shooting 4-28 in the second half and only down 8.

They looked much better than a 10-10 Sun Belt team, but Kansas looked downright horrible. That might be the worst decision making and least sense of urgency I can remember from a 1-seed.

Another thing that made the game strange to watch was the completely silent, pro-Kansas crowd. WKU was close to pulling off the biggest upset in tournament history, and... no one was really seemed to care. Usually the house is rocking for the underdog, but not in Kansas City...

rsvman
03-23-2013, 01:11 AM
The second half looked like a rec league game.

No, wait, rec league games have some organization and usually some guys who can shoot.

It looked like a pick-up game at the Y.

hurleyfor3
03-23-2013, 01:16 AM

No, wait, rec league games have some organization and usually some guys who can shoot.

The Topeka Y?

TexHawk
03-23-2013, 01:30 AM

While I can't quibble with the points made about the awful decision making and tempo from KU, it sure is a coincidence that most every team that KU plays looks awful on offense for long stretches in every game (well, except for Baylor last week).

There is a reason they lead the nation in FG% defense, and top 5 in AdjD on kenpom.

jipops
03-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Another Barkley moment...

barkley (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2013/03/22/charles-barkley-calls-kansas-center-jeff-whitey/)

Wheat/"/"/"
03-23-2013, 09:16 AM
You gotta love Chuck.

Ugly is all I can say about every game I've see so far. Grabbing, reaching, hacking, holding, pushing, banging...whatever terms you want to use about playing "strong", "tough", "hard" that these announcers are constantly harping about to cover up all the fouls being committed that aren't being called.

There is very little flow or beauty to the college game anymore and I think it's sad that the level of play overall has become so poor.

Willy2351
03-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Sadly, you are right, Wheat.

I never would have believed it some years ago, but I now find that watching the NBA is often more enjoyable than watching college bball, unless Duke is playing. The pro game is so much more fluid than the college game now is really striking.

The fact that the pro announcers are generally better than the college announcers helps the NBA, too.

ClosetHurleyFan
03-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Sadly you and wheat are both right. Back in December
I took some clients to a hawks and thunder game an watched
Durant put 20 on hawks in fourth quarter through an array
Of 27 foot fade away threes. I have seen nothing in college this season other than maybe the acc championship game as entertaining.

I told folks that last year no one wanted to admit out loud what was glaringly obvious. The nba playoffs were so much better than march madness!

brevity
03-23-2013, 11:59 AM
I told folks that last year no one wanted to admit out loud what was glaringly obvious. The nba playoffs were so much better than march madness!

Well, sure, if you deal in quantity. March Madness only takes three weeks to eliminate 67 teams. The NBA playoffs have 16 teams play over, what, 2 months? The only thing longer is a Peter Jackson trilogy.

I don't think March Madness has ever been about great flair and showmanship in basketball. You could argue that it's not even about sound, fundamental basketball. It's about young players making boneheaded decisions at critical times, much to the chagrin of their not-quite-polished coaches. It's unpredictability, parity, and amateurism at its best. The NBA Playoffs may have become a better basketball product -- under its current rules -- but March Madness will always make for better television. (Also, audience participation. No one fills brackets for the NBA Playoffs.)

rsvman
03-23-2013, 12:18 PM
You gotta love Chuck.

....There is very little flow or beauty to the college game anymore and I think it's sad that the level of play overall has become so poor.

I take it you missed the Florida-Gulf Coast vs Georgetown game?

Oh, and the ACC Championship game?

wgl1228
03-23-2013, 12:35 PM
The NBA (for at least the last 10-15 years) in my opinion, has been garbage. Sorry but I had to say it.

pfrduke
03-23-2013, 12:56 PM
There is a serious lid on the hoop in Auburn Hills right now. VCU's made just one bucket in the last 7 minutes but is still only down 6.

SCMatt33
03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Looks like Michigan found their shot and is starting to wreak havoc on VCU right now...I'm sorry, I'll show myself out.

Seriously, though, this is the big flaw with Shaka Smart's system. It is prone to huge runs. I saw the Temple game two weeks ago and the difference between the first and second half was night and day. I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan stretched this out to 30 or VCU came back and won by ten.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Really impressed with Michigan thus far today. They've handled the vaunted VCU press with ease and have really good floor spacing and ball movement.

If they play like this, they would have a good chance at taking our Kansas.

SCMatt33
03-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Really impressed with Michigan thus far today. They've handled the vaunted VCU press with ease and have really good floor spacing and ball movement.

If they play like this, they would have a good chance at taking our Kansas.

...assuming Kansas is there. I wouldn't be jinxing anything on that front. If Kansas plays tomorrow the way they did yesterday, they won't be around.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-23-2013, 01:19 PM
...assuming Kansas is there. I wouldn't be jinxing anything on that front. If Kansas plays tomorrow the way they did yesterday, they won't be around.

Well, I don't have them advancing to play Michigan. You can read whatever inference you want into that, but I'm not going to say it outloud on this board.

And I have Michigan in the Final Four.

If they keep playing like this, they will be very hard to beat. They are a young team that seems to have been battle tested in their conference. When they are firing on all cylinders, their upside is amazing.

slower
03-23-2013, 01:35 PM
McGary in absolute beast mode right now.

sporthenry
03-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Well, I don't have them advancing to play Michigan. You can read whatever inference you want into that, but I'm not going to say it outloud on this board.

If they keep playing like this, they will be very hard to beat. They are a young team that seems to have been battle tested in their conference. When they are firing on all cylinders, their upside is amazing.

To be honest, this was just a perfect match up for Michigan. VCU has no answer if you can beat their press and with McGary stepping up, no answer inside. I think KU actually prefers Michigan to win. They match up much better with them than VCU. Should be a good game but people will probably read way too much into margins of victory.

dukelifer
03-23-2013, 01:41 PM
To be honest, this was just a perfect match up for Michigan. VCU has no answer if you can beat their press and with McGary stepping up, no answer inside. I think KU actually prefers Michigan to win. They match up much better with them than VCU. Should be a good game but people will probably read way too much into margins of victory.

Yes- Michigan is vulnerable but dangerous against teams that have not seen them. The Michigan guards are very good.

TexHawk
03-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Michigan finished the season 6-6 in their last 12, and they have looked terrible outside of Ann Arbor (I guess Auburn Hills too, only 45 minutes away). Their next game will be in Texas, and if they play KU, they will have a decided disadvantage with the crowd. I will wait to anoint them as the next CBB dynasty until after I see them play well away from home.

As a KU fan, after watching our guards try to break a press last night, give me Michigan every day of the week, no question. If we are lucky enough to get there, of course.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Michigan finished the season 6-6 in their last 12, and they have looked terrible outside of Ann Arbor (I guess Auburn Hills too, only 45 minutes away). Their next game will be in Texas, and if they play KU, they will have a decided disadvantage with the crowd. I will wait to anoint them as the next CBB dynasty until after I see them play well away from home.

As a KU fan, after watching our guards try to break a press last night, give me Michigan every day of the week, no question. If we are lucky enough to get there, of course.

I'm well familiar with their late-season swoon. I'm just really impressed by how well they are gelling against a team that a lot of pundits thought might cause them problems.

If I were you watching this game as a Kansas fan, I'm not so sure I'd be hoping to play the Wolverines. And also, I agree that if UNC plays well, they might cause you some problems tomorrow.

Go Duke!

Blue KevIL
03-23-2013, 02:07 PM
VCU won by 46 & is currently getting lit up by about 30.
I wonder if a swing in scoring margin this big has ever happened before.

mr. synellinden
03-23-2013, 02:08 PM
McGary in absolute beast mode right now.

I've been watching this and thinking about what a difference he'd make on our team right now - playing the role I hoped Marshall would play.

He's also exactly the kind of big man that would fit in perfectly next year. Think about a lineup with:

McGary
Parker
Hood
Sulaimon
Cook

with a bench of

Jefferson
Murphy
Hairston
Plumlee
Thornton
Jones
Semi
Dawkins (?)

mr. synellinden
03-23-2013, 02:10 PM

This is very interesting given the discussion going on separately about first round results being a predictor of future success.

I think it shows how much the tournament is influenced by matchups.

TexHawk
03-23-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm well familiar with their late-season swoon. I'm just really impressed by how well they are gelling against a team that a lot of pundits thought might cause them problems.

If I were you watching this game as a Kansas fan, I'm not so sure I'd be hoping to play the Wolverines. And also, I agree that if UNC plays well, they might cause you some problems tomorrow.

Go Duke!

I will wait to do a more complete breakdown if KU wins tomorrow, or else the basketball gods will frown on my team. Let's just say that KU matches up with Michigan very well, and Bill Self and staff generally do a fantastic job of scouting/prep when they have a week to gameplan.

Michigan on the season is actually a pretty poor defensive team, so it would be strength v. strength, weakness v. weakness. I would like KU's chances, if they get there.

Norman Pfyster
03-23-2013, 02:14 PM

I was wondering if karma really is a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. What VCU did to a short-handed team was scummy.

Norman Pfyster
03-23-2013, 02:17 PM
I've been watching this and thinking about what a difference he'd make on our team right now - playing the role I hoped Marshall would play.

He's also exactly the kind of big man that would fit in perfectly next year. Think about a lineup with:

McGary
Parker
Hood
Sulaimon
Cook

Except McGary can't play defense worth a lick. I look at that team and think we'd be getting lit up like a slutty pinball machine.

brevity
03-23-2013, 02:29 PM

VCU ended up losing by 25, which would be a 71-point swing, if you want to look at it that way.

I thought of Loyola Marymount in 1990, who beat defending champ Michigan by 34 in the 2nd round, and then lost to eventual champ UNLV by 30 in the 4th round. Not the same thing, but significant. What a difference a week makes.

Blue KevIL
03-23-2013, 02:50 PM
I was wondering if karma really is a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. What VCU did to a short-handed team was scummy.

I was thinking the same thing -- VCU called off the dogs way too late against Akron.
So late that Bill Rafftery made a comment about it.

Blue KevIL
03-23-2013, 02:53 PM
VCU ended up losing by 25, which would be a 71-point swing, if you want to look at it that way.

I thought of Loyola Marymount in 1990, who beat defending champ Michigan by 34 in the 2nd round, and then lost to eventual champ UNLV by 30 in the 4th round. Not the same thing, but significant. What a difference a week makes.

"The 71-point swing by VCU — from a 46-point win to a 25-point loss — was the largest in NCAA tournament history, according to STATS. In 1968, Houston beat Texas Christian 103-68, then lost to UCLA 101-69 for a 67-point swing."

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Michigan-breezes-through-VCU-press-in-78-53-win-4379120.php#ixzz2OOHACn3W

TexHawk
03-23-2013, 03:01 PM
I was thinking the same thing -- VCU called off the dogs way too late against Akron.
So late that Bill Rafftery made a comment about it.

Even more strange since Shaka and the Akron coach were on the same staff twice in their careers, and are supposedly best friends off the court. Well, they *were* best friends before that game.

slower
03-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Except McGary can't play defense worth a lick. I look at that team and think we'd be getting lit up like a slutty pinball machine.

So then what, in your opinion, is going to happen to us next year? We don't have anybody at the 5 for next year who's any better defensively than McGary, right?

Norman Pfyster
03-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Unless Marshall Plumlee shows more than he did this year, I expect to get lit up.

My comment was directed at another comment that McGary was exactly what Duke needed next year. They don't need another scorer. They need someone who can defend on the interior and rebound.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-23-2013, 07:29 PM

I only saw highlights of FGCU/Georgetown, and it did look a good game, as well as the ACC Champ game.

The well played games are the exception these days...That's why I said "very little flow" and "overall"....

77devil
03-23-2013, 07:59 PM

Exceptions to the norm, and believe me, it pains me to agree with Wheat.

DukieInKansas
03-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Snowing in KCMO. It will be interesting to see what kind of crowd makes it to the Sprint Center this afternoon. Snow should last until lunchtime or so.

devildeac
03-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Snowing in KCMO. It will be interesting to see what kind of crowd makes it to the Sprint Center this afternoon. Snow should last until lunchtime or so.

Hope the heels don't last much longer than that...

devildeac
03-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Oh, and BTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h51be27dN8c

Mal
03-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Exceptions to the norm, and believe me, it pains me to agree with Wheat.

For me, what makes college ball compelling is the level of fallibility and inconsistency of the players and teams. That's how you get so many big runs and comebacks, and exciting, baffling upsets. It may be more sloppy in recent years, I'll grant that, and on occasion that sloppiness moves over the line from compelling drama to boring amateurism; more often than it used to, seemingly (although maybe we're all just getting older and remembering the glory days as better than they were and unwittingly using confirmation bias). I'm sure the ubiquity of one or two and done has hurt the game, with so many of the best players not maturing as players (or teams) before heading off to the pros.

But the alternative, in the NBA, is still worse for me. Yes, they actually play defense in the NBA these days, and clearly the game's more enjoyable to watch now than it was in the immediate post-Jordan years. I went years without sitting down and watching more than 5 minutes of a pro game, and I can tolerate it for awhile these days. But the simple problem, to me, is exactly what Wheat or someone else was mentioning earlier as a positive - it's the fact that a guy like Kevin Durant is capable of just draining 27-footer after 27-footer, and also rattling the backboard after taking off from the free throw line. Today's players have simply outgrown the physical dimensions of the playing field and equipment of the sport and limitations of the human body. Lebron James has beaten the game. He's a machine or an alien or something. They need a 12 foot rim or a bigger ball or something. They're just too good at the game, and it's too easy for them. If someone misses a 17 foot jumper in the NBA, it's almost shocking. I actually find that, while occasionally awe-inspiring, sort of uninspiring at the same time. Players have evolved, of course, in other sports, too. But for some reason I don't notice as much. Maybe because the rules in football have evolved with them, and the basic difficulty of hitting a baseball seems to still be there and in the post-PED era we're seeing a comeback in pitching dominance. I don't know.

The fact that they're so good; then having the game broken down into the icy, brutal logic of one on one isolation matchups so much; and with everyone playing so much that every aspect of their games is fully scouted and known to their opponents, and every strength/weakness is ruthlessly, thoroughly exploited; makes the NBA terribly predictable, and it just runs cold for me. Throw in a 7 game series in the playoffs, and there are just very, very few surprises. It's a good thing in many ways to have the "best" team win your championship more often than every other sport, and I think the NBA has that. It's the most fair. But it has its downside, too, which is annually on display in the NCAA tournament.

TNDukeFan
03-24-2013, 05:35 PM
The #1 seed doesn't seem to be able to make a layup.

mr. synellinden
03-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Unless Marshall Plumlee shows more than he did this year, I expect to get lit up.

My comment was directed at another comment that McGary was exactly what Duke needed next year. They don't need another scorer. They need someone who can defend on the interior and rebound.

I strongly disagree with the notion that McGary doesn't rebound well. Also, I think he will be a solid defender in time. He is a very strong low post presence and there are very few of those in college these days. Unless Jefferson puts on 30 pounds in the offseason, we are not going to have anything close to a true low post presence next season, and I think McGary will be one of the best centers in the country.

We would be a much better team next year with him.

WakeDevil
03-24-2013, 05:53 PM
UNC missed its chance to run up a huge lead. Kansa will come back to take this game.

MChambers
03-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Why didn't McAdoo get a foul (flagrant one) on the elbow to Withey's face? I thought that was the rule? What am I missing?

pfrduke
03-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Why didn't McAdoo get a foul (flagrant one) on the elbow to Withey's face? I thought that was the rule? What am I missing?

If I remember correctly, Andre Dawkins got a technical on almost exactly the same play a year or two ago.

gwlaw99
03-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Kansas playing really sloppy

TNDukeFan
03-24-2013, 06:09 PM
This is my first look at the Jayhawks this year. Really an unimpressive offensive team so far.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Kansas playing really sloppy
And UNC playing really floppy.

Tripping William
03-24-2013, 06:12 PM
"Fugly" is the most charitable description of this half that I can manage. Yuck.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Wow. Did the snow prevent the real KU team from showing up?

Lunchab1es
03-24-2013, 06:14 PM

Is it because no foul was called during the play itself? Disclaimer: I'm only half watching the game on mute as I study so I may well be dead wrong.

Gthoma2a
03-24-2013, 06:21 PM
How in the world is Kansas a 1 seed? I thought they were overrated all year, but now I know they are overrated. They have fallen apart. They need to get it together so that I don't have to go into work tomorrow with UNC still in the tournament.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Credit where credit is due. UNC defense is quick and active. Roy making the smart decision to double down Withy.

UNC rebounding well and taking care of the ball. That has to continue.

Nobody really shooting well. Both teams struggling to finish at the rim.

Here's to PJ getting out of the funk second half.

MChambers
03-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Is it because no foul was called during the play itself? Disclaimer: I'm only half watching the game on mute as I study so I may well be dead wrong.

The refs are allowed to watch the replay and then call a foul.

CLW
03-24-2013, 06:35 PM
If Alex can turn into his older brother by the time he leaves Duke that will be a nice piece to the puzzle.

MartyClark
03-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Credit where credit is due. UNC defense is quick and active. Roy making the smart decision to double down Withy.

UNC rebounding well and taking care of the ball. That has to continue.

Nobody really shooting well. Both teams struggling to finish at the rim.

Here's to PJ getting out of the funk second half.

Carolina is playing well but what's with Kansas? They really look intimidated and overanxious on offense.

Cameron
03-24-2013, 06:44 PM
I hate North Carolina as much as anyone -- Kansas 40, Hansbrough 12 in the Final Four in 2008 was the single-greatest moment in my life as a sports fan, as sad as that may sound; I have more pictures of that CBS scoreboard than I do of my family -- but I hope they get to Atlanta. Being from the Midwest, my hate for Ohio State and the rest of the Big Ten this year is beyond unhealthy. It's borderline psychotic. Aaron Craft is profoundly evil.

I want three Atlantic Coast Conference teams in the Final Four. Ohio State got by Iowa State on an egregious no-call and the Temple Owls were the best team on the floor for 38 minutes today. Indiana should be on its way back to school for the remainder of the semester. Teams from Michigan are the only Big Ten teams that should still be playing.

My dream scenario is Miami hammering Carolina in the first semi and Duke winning it all.

RoyalBlue08
03-24-2013, 06:47 PM
I guess it is nerves or something? This has to be the worst game of basketball in terms of fundamentals I have seen all year.

CoachJ10
03-24-2013, 06:55 PM
I hate North Carolina as much as anyone -- Kansas 40, Hansbrough 12 in the Final Four in 2008 was the single-greatest moment in my life as a sports fan, as sad as that may sound; I have more pictures of that CBS scoreboard than I do of my family -- but I hope they get to Atlanta. Being from the Midwest, my hate for Ohio State and the rest of the Big Ten this year is beyond unhealthy. It's borderline psychotic. Aaron Craft is profoundly evil.

I want three Atlantic Coast Conference teams in the Final Four. Ohio State got by Iowa State on an egregious no-call and the Temple Owls were the best team on the floor for 38 minutes today. Indiana should be on its way back to school for the remainder of the semester. Teams from Michigan are the only Big Ten teams that should still be playing.

My dream scenario is Miami hammering Carolina in the first semi and Duke winning it all.

As someone who lives in Chicago...a big amen and ditto to your comments.

gwlaw99
03-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Kansas finally woke up and playing patient basketball.

arnie
03-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Carolina is playing well but what's with Kansas? They really look intimidated and overanxious on offense.

Kansas on a roll . Ole Roy gonna carry his TO's over to next year

Indoor66
03-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Coach 'em up, Roy. :cool:

juise
03-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Order has been restored.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Go to Hell Carolina, go to Hell!

Gthoma2a
03-24-2013, 07:10 PM
The cruelty of this game is beautiful. I love that they HAD IT, but they are going to lose it.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Live by the 3, die by the 3.

Roy should try developing a post presence next year. I don't understand why N Carolina can't see the value of getting the ball to your bigs.

Cameron
03-24-2013, 07:12 PM
As someone who lives in Chicago...a big amen and ditto to your comments.

Yep. Again, hate to say it, but I am disappointed by this result. I wanted the ACC to outlast the Big Ten. Could still happen, but Syracuse, Arizona and Kansas are going to have to have big nights to prevent the Big Ten from getting three teams to the regional final. Come on, Miami, play your --- off tonight. We'll do our best in the Midwest.

Reilly
03-24-2013, 07:13 PM
University of North Carolina
Men's Basketball
2013 NCAA Round of 32
South Region
First Half Champions
30-21

OldPhiKap
03-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Hope Roy still has his big Kansas Jayhawk button. . . .

davekay1971
03-24-2013, 07:14 PM
I'd like to give credit where credit is due, Wheat, and I think I am by saying that Kansas simply played a tentative, tight, nervous first half. They made awful, hesitant attempts at entry passes, shot as if they were scared, and just generally played terrible on offense. Carolina did play nice defense, and turned turnovers into points. In the second half, KU has played with much more confidence.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Woe, Bill Self was TICKED on that lane violation! I think his hairpiece almost came off.

arnie
03-24-2013, 07:19 PM
University of North Carolina
Men's Basketball
2013 NCAA Round of 32
South Region
First Half Champions
30-21

That's their banner and we're guaranteed no worse than a sweet 17 finish

Wheat/"/"/"
03-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Coach 'em up, Roy. :cool:

Roy can't shoot for them.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-24-2013, 07:22 PM
JMM superstar... 5-19. Roy just letting him throw the game away.

davekay1971
03-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Hope Roy still has his big Kansas Jayhawk button. . . .

He sleeps with it under his pillow, dreaming of the good ol' days where he had a fan base that loved him and didn't always wonder what Dean would have done with the same players. That's why he wakes up screaming, "But I have 2 also!" Sadly, only the silent darkness, and his Jayhawks pin, are there to comfort him.

arnie
03-24-2013, 07:23 PM

No but he should ask them nicely to play defense. Course he should have tried that in practice first

davekay1971
03-24-2013, 07:26 PM

I was irritated from the start the way the commentator (was that Smilin' Dan Bonner?) made a big deal of how important it was for JMM to have a big scoring game. It's as if these guys either don't know that Hairston, Bullock, and, at this point, Paige, are Carolina's best players. JMM=HB in terms of undying and unearned media hype, despite all evidence to the contrary.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2013, 07:27 PM
He sleeps with it under his pillow, dreaming of the good ol' days where he had a fan base that loved him and didn't always wonder what Dean would have done with the same players. That's why he wakes up screaming, "But I have 2 also!" Sadly, only the silent darkness, and his Jayhawks pin, are there to comfort him.

How much love do I need to spread before responding to genius like this?

Carolina making a run, gotta play steady KU.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Big block!
Game?

BlueDevilBrowns
03-24-2013, 07:31 PM
OK, that camera shot of the UNC fan practically crying looked like every Tarheel fan I've ever known.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-24-2013, 07:31 PM

JMM has a lot to learn about finishing at the rim.

Tripping William
03-24-2013, 07:32 PM
(was that Smilin' Dan Bonner?) .

Steve Kerr

juise
03-24-2013, 07:33 PM

Did someone leak the postgame presser script?

OldPhiKap
03-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Roy waving the white flag, bench in

Wheat/"/"/"
03-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Pretty simple. UNC didn't shoot very well and the lack of any post play killed them.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Time for some IC.com fun!

davekay1971
03-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Here's credit where credit is due, Wheat: Roy going along the bench telling his guys to pick their heads up was all class.

Of course, he may have just been reassuring Blue Steel that the KU fans weren't going to rush the court! :cool:

As an aside, I'm taking full credit for the win. My Tarheel-hating wife bought a KU long sleeve T after Kansas demolished Carolina back in 2008. I reminded her at half time that she needed to put it on. She did. Game over.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Awwwwww . . . . See 'ya!

lotusland
03-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Suck it Heels! Now if the devils can take care of business I'll feel a lot better about the acc tournament fiasco.

75Crazie
03-24-2013, 07:44 PM
So does this make Roy 0-3 now against his old team? And all coming in NCAAT games?

Wheat/"/"/"
03-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Here's credit where credit is due, Wheat: Roy going along the bench telling his guys to pick their heads up was all class.

Of course, he may have just been reassuring Blue Steel that the KU fans weren't going to rush the court! :cool:

I enjoyed watching this UNC team grow this season. There were obvious weaknesses with this team and they still got better and surprised many people.

Every year can't be a championship year, but every year you can play hard and get better as the season goes along.

I think this team did that.

arnie
03-24-2013, 07:53 PM
I enjoyed watching this UNC team grow this season. There were obvious weaknesses with this team and they still got better and surprised many people.

Every year can't be a championship year, but every year you can play hard and get better as the season goes along.

The heels now measure success by their Triangle record. 1-3 record against their rivals - Roy must be proud

gofurman
03-24-2013, 07:57 PM

Ill agree with that. They definitely improved. If no one leaves they will be good nxt year. Any thought by UNC that McAdoo might try to leave? I wouldnt think so but what do I know. DOes anyone graduate? I think McDonald is a junior?>

MartyClark
03-24-2013, 08:00 PM

I agree. I think Roy did a good job with this team in the last third of the season.

brevity
03-24-2013, 08:05 PM

Congratulations on making it through the season, Wheat. As a Carolina fan and as a DBR poster. As per the rules of this board, you'll be receiving a black shirt and Kansas sticker by overnight mail.

burnspbesq
03-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Minnesota doesn't want to go on the cart.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Minnesota doesn't want to go on the cart.

"I feel happy. I think I'll go for a walk"

coldriver10
03-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Schadenfreude makes me nervous.

Reilly
03-24-2013, 08:37 PM
... DOes anyone graduate? ...

All the time. Many with honors in Swahili.

CDu
03-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Man, FGCU is just loads of fun to watch. They dunk like crazy, and Comer is an unbelievable passer. I could get behind this style of play.

Newton_14
03-24-2013, 08:38 PM

I think once he made the lineup change (which came 2 months late) he took them as far as could have been expected given the talent available. I will still maintain that the committee jobbed the ACC and both UNC and State deserved higher seeds, which would have given both a fighting chance to make the S16. I did think UNC could pull the upset today if they shot it well from 3, and Kansas was off (which they were in the 1st Half). 2nd Half Kansas got it going and UNC got rattled.

If Roy had stuck with the 2 big lineup all year then it would have been fair to rip him for being hard headed. Hey, he even called an early timeout in the 2nd Half when Kansas cut it to 1, so improvement! :) And I have a theory on the delay in the change. We know Ol Roy is an avid reader of DBR, so it makes sense he is an avid follower of ESPN who in the last couple of years have been promoting this meme that the college basketball season does not start until the first Duke/UNC game. So there it is! Roy thought all games prior to Duke were just Pre-Season so he actually settled on his final rotation in what he thought was the first game of the year! :D

Humor aside, as for the field, this is one of the worst jobs ever by the committee of balancing the field. Not only are the regions horribly unbalanced, from 3 seeds on down, there is little to no balance across the 4 "same" seeds in each regions. Look at the four 8 seeds and four 9 seeds for example. 8's (UNC, NC State, Colorado St, Pitt), 9's (Temple, Villanova, Missouri, Wichita St). I did not follow the nation as much as normal this year but those teams are all over the place in terms of strength. In my humble opinion it is just as erratic from seeds 3 thru 16....

Cameron
03-24-2013, 08:49 PM
If Gulf Coast can reach the Sweet 16 it would be the greatest Cinderella story in tournament history based on seeding. But they are a very good team and loaded with athletic talent. I think Gulf Coast can run with anyone in that region and get to Atlanta. That would be a story.

You have to imagine that Andy Enfield will field some offers from some more established programs if Coast wins one more. The buzz around him will be astonishing.

pfrduke
03-24-2013, 08:59 PM
If Gulf Coast can reach the Sweet 16 it would be the greatest Cinderella story in tournament history based on seeding. But they are a very good team and loaded with athletic talent. I think Gulf Coast can run with anyone in that region and get to Atlanta. That would be a story.

You have to imagine that Andy Enfield will field some offers from some more established programs if Coast wins one more. The buzz around him will be astonishing.

Seriously. That's a fantastic team. A game against the Gators should have a ton of up and down action.

_Gary
03-24-2013, 09:00 PM
If not Duke, Florida Gulf Coast U is the team I'm rooting for! What an outstanding two games they've played thus far. And as others have noted, this team is very, very fun to watch!!!!

RoyalBlue08
03-24-2013, 09:00 PM
I love watching these FGC kids play, just all out and having fun. They have been the most entertaining part of this tournament so far for me. Funny that I have virtually no memory of their trip to Cameron. (I'm getting old!). Although I guess it is a lot easier to have swagger when you are winning.

licc85
03-24-2013, 09:04 PM
FLORIDA GULF COAST!!! Maybe the first ever 15 seed to the sweet sixteen... I love their team. Colmer & Brown are amazing and that fieler kid is good too. Colmer is ridiculous... One of the best passers I've seen. That dude is incredibly savvy. Come on FGC!!! Final four run, do it!!!

Mabdul Doobakus
03-24-2013, 09:07 PM
As I said after the Georgetown game, Gulf Coast is probably the best 15 seed of all time. Seems indisputable at this point. Funny thing is I grew up in South Florida and I'd never even heard of this place before this season. Should be an interesting game against Florida.

CDu
I don't think I've ever seen anything like this FGCU team. They are unreal. I will say that all of their dancing and showboating will be fun only so long as they're the plucky underdog. If a major conference team did that, wow.

But it seems like Comer is tossing an alley oop every few minutes, and nearly everyone can throw it down with aplomb.

I think a game against UF could be must-watch TV.

pfrduke
FLORIDA GULF COAST!!! Maybe the first ever 15 seed to the sweet sixteen... I love their team. Colmer & Brown are amazing and that fieler kid is good too. Colmer is ridiculous... One of the best passers I've seen. That dude is incredibly savvy. Come on FGC!!! Final four run, do it!!!

SO MANY ALLEY OOPS. It's amazing. I'm sure this isn't tracked, but I bet they have more oops in the first two rounds than any other teams.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Glad we already beat these guys this year.

moonpie23
03-24-2013, 09:15 PM
such a great story......

CDu
03-24-2013, 09:15 PM
SO MANY ALLEY OOPS. It's amazing. I'm sure this isn't tracked, but I bet they have more oops in the first two rounds than any other teams.

They might have more than all other teams combined.

davekay1971
03-24-2013, 09:16 PM

As Len Elmore pointed out, FGCU beat us for 34 out of 40 minutes in Cameron...it was just the other 6 minutes that was the problem. One of the stupider things I've heard an announcer say.

sporthenry
03-24-2013, 09:16 PM
I don't think I've ever seen anything like this FGCU team. They are unreal. I will say that all of their dancing and showboating will be fun only so long as they're the plucky underdog. If a major conference team did that, wow.

I think their celebrations have already jumped the shark for me. It was cute once but now it is quite disrespectful. I hope Florida stomps them and celebrates like this. Now get off my lawn.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Ill agree with that. They definitely improved. If no one leaves they will be good nxt year. Any thought by UNC that McAdoo might try to leave? I wouldnt think so but what do I know. DOes anyone graduate? I think McDonald is a junior?>

Strickland is a senior and graduates.

Most expect McAdoo to enter. It's a weak draft and next year is strong. I think there's a chance he comes back if he sees he's a mid first rounder or even later. We'll see.

PJ has supposedly said he will return.

Bullock is rumored to be considering testing the waters due to family issues.

McDonald will be a red shirt senior.

Everybody else is expected back and UNC adds more post depth with big man Meeks, PF Hicks, along with PG Britt and possibly all everything WF Wiggins.

Lunchab1es
03-24-2013, 09:18 PM

But it seems like Comer is tossing an alley oop every few minutes, and nearly everyone can throw it down with aplomb.

I think a game against UF could be must-watch TV.

Yeah I agree 100%. Their playstyle is amazing fun to watch, and the showmanship is entertaining in bits and pieces but it certainly turns to showboating at times, and it would be thoroughly obnoxious if they were a power conference team.

Tripping William
03-24-2013, 09:25 PM
But they *aren't* a "power conference team," and that's part of the reason to celebrate. Those kids just accomplished something no one has ever done. I am okay with their having their moment.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-24-2013, 09:26 PM

Most expect McAdoo to enter. It's a weak draft and next year is strong. I think there's a chance he comes back if he sees he's a mid first rounder or even later. We'll see.

Everybody else is expected back and UNC adds more post depth with big man Meeks, PF Hicks, along with PG Britt and possibly all everything WF Wiggins.

If Wiggins picks UNC, they are FF material and preseason top 5 and ACC #1.

If not Wiggins, UNC is still a top 10-15 team next year. At that point, Paige would have to vastly improve for a FF run.

Bluedog
03-24-2013, 09:27 PM
As Len Elmore pointed out, FGCU beat us for 34 out of 40 minutes in Cameron...it was just the other 6 minutes that was the problem. One of the stupider things I've heard an announcer say.

Elmore (not surprisingly) was also wildly incorrect. We were up by 22 AT THE HALF. Perhaps he meant to say they outscored us until 6 minutes to go in the first half, or 14 out of the 40 minutes.

_Gary
03-24-2013, 09:37 PM
But they *aren't* a "power conference team," and that's part of the reason to celebrate. Those kids just accomplished something no one has ever done. I am okay with their having their moment.

I agree. I'm not a fan of celebrating too much, but in this particular case I think it's fine.

pfrduke
03-24-2013, 09:38 PM
They might have more than all other teams combined.

Yeah, not just talking about this year - any team in any first two rounds of any tournament. I bet it's FGCU. Which is crazy.

CDu
03-24-2013, 09:41 PM

Which is why I said it will be fun as long as they are the plucky underdog.

Newton_14
03-24-2013, 09:43 PM

The Hicks guy is a player. As fate would have it, he played for my old High School Rival (Oxford Webb). So I have 2 reasons to hate him!:)

Webb won the State 3A Championship last weekend in a thriller OT game. Hicks went for 34 points and 30 rebounds in the title game before fouling out in OT. A good friend of mine at work is a Webb grad and has a daughter there now. They attended all of the tourney games. Get this. In the title game, early in the first qtr, Hicks got hit pretty hard, and a contact popped out, but landed on his cheek. While play was still going, he tried unsuccessfully to put it back in, before tossing it on the floor and playing on. He only had the one set, and managers tried in vain to find it during timeouts and halftime. He played almost the entire game with just the one contact in.

Not sure how quickly he grasps the D1 game, but potential is certainly there. Might not be an immediate impact player but should be one before all is said and done.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-24-2013, 10:00 PM
If Wiggins picks UNC, they are FF material and preseason top 5 and ACC #1.

If not Wiggins, UNC is still a top 10-15 team next year. At that point, Paige would have to vastly improve for a FF run.

Bullock was steady all season, PJ brought toughness and his shot, but I thought Paige's growth was probably the most impressive thing this season.

Paige definately got better every game. Kids a leader, has good court awareness, good handle, can shoot it, solid defender, will take it to the rack intelligently.... he's going to be a really good PG as he gets stronger and gets a more balanced team to work with.

Crossing my fingers to see a Paige, PJ, Wiggins, McAdoo, James starting five next season.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Bullock was steady all season, PJ brought toughness and his shot, but I thought Paige's growth was probably the most impressive thing this season.

Paige definately got better every game. Kids a leader, has good court awareness, good handle, can shoot it, solid defender, will take it to the rack intelligently.... he's going to be a really good PG as he gets stronger and gets a more balanced team to work with.

Crossing my fingers to see a Paige, PJ, Wiggins, McAdoo, James starting five next season.

That would be a very good starting five if it happens. Gotta think someone is moving on, though. Who knows about Wiggins.

Greg_Newton
03-25-2013, 12:10 AM
And I'm crossing my fingers for a Paige, McDonald, Tokoto, Hicks, Johnson starting lineup.

Des Esseintes
03-25-2013, 12:37 AM
And I'm crossing my fingers for a Paige, McDonald, Tokoto, Hicks, Johnson starting lineup.

McAdoo will probably be better next season if he stays. But I do wonder how much he helped this year's team. His efficiency is disastrous. 58 points on 73 shots tonight is breathtaking in its way, and McAdoo had a big part in that disaster. It's possible they will improve by him making the jump.

juise
03-25-2013, 02:24 AM
In retrospect, if the committee had any idea how good FGCU is, Duke's 30-0 run versus the Eagles may have earned us a #1 seed. Definitely adding that to the quality wins list this year.

Des Esseintes
03-25-2013, 02:53 AM
In retrospect, if the committee had any idea how good FGCU is, Duke's 30-0 run versus the Eagles may have earned us a #1 seed. Definitely adding that to the quality wins list this year.

Yeah, we now have a 10-1 record against teams that were alive in the second round of the tournament. And we are 4-1 against the teams that remain. Not bad.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-25-2013, 08:16 AM
McAdoo will probably be better next season if he stays. But I do wonder how much he helped this year's team. His efficiency is disastrous. 58 points on 73 shots tonight is breathtaking in its way, and McAdoo had a big part in that disaster. It's possible they will improve by him making the jump.

I thought he helped big time, and is a very good player.

Look at Roy's options without him. James was not ready, Hubert needs strength and some offense, Johnson way too thin, Simmons physically overmatched inside.

McAdoo was playing out of position all year, forced to play center and with his back to the basket when he's been a natural face up PF. In the long run this season helped him, because he will need to continue developing some post up moves and learn to finish better at the rim in traffic.

When he gets the chance to play alongside a traditional low post center, and gets better with his shot selection, his game will look a lot different.

I think he would be smart to come back one more season for his long term future, but it's hard to turn down guaranteed millions and nobody should blame him if he goes for it.

Bob Green
03-25-2013, 08:33 AM
I thought he helped big time, and is a very good player.

I think he would be smart to come back one more season for his long term future, but it's hard to turn down guaranteed millions and nobody should blame him if he goes for it.

Nice post...I agree with you on McAdoo. He is a good player, who needs to come back one more year to continue his development, but he probably will go ahead and jump to the NBA. I don't like all the early entries into the draft because it weakens college basketball; however, I do not blame the individual players.

Troublemaker
03-25-2013, 08:49 AM

Yeah, you guys will be a pain to deal with again next season. You really only need one of Bullock or Wiggins to be there.

Paige, Bullock, Hairston, Hicks, [improved James/Hubert] can contend for first place for sure. McAdoo leaving should impact UNC about as much as Rivers leaving impacted Duke. Hicks is a better version of McAdoo.

The key is how much can James/Hubert improve in an offseason.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Yeah, you guys will be a pain to deal with again next season. You really only need one of Bullock or Wiggins to be there.

Paige, Bullock, Hairston, Hicks, [improved James/Hubert] can contend for first place for sure. McAdoo leaving should impact UNC about as much as Rivers leaving impacted Duke. Hicks is a better version of McAdoo.

The key is how much can James/Hubert improve in an offseason.

I expect James to become a force inside next season. He showed power and finesse around the rim, but was weak with his understanding of how to play this season. He just needs time, he knows what to work on and the off season should really help him.

I see Hubert as a four year guy that will provide quality depth, but never as a key player.

Meeks coming in is supposed to have a true low post game already, but has to shed weight. We'll see, I haven't seen him and I am dubious of freshmen bigs adjusting to the college game right away. The ones that do are few and far between.

I'm told Hicks is very talented, but needs strength as well.

Don't sleep on Brice Johnson. If he gets stronger and mentally tougher, he will show a tough game. He's so thin I think he's still two years away from making an impact.

arnie
03-25-2013, 12:19 PM
I expect James to become a force inside next season. He showed power and finesse around the rim, but was weak with his understanding of how to play this season. He just needs time, he knows what to work on and the off season should really help him.

I see Hubert as a four year guy that will provide quality depth, but never as a key player.

Meeks coming in is supposed to have a true low post game already, but has to shed weight. We'll see, I haven't seen him and I am dubious of freshmen bigs adjusting to the college game right away. The ones that do are few and far between.

I'm told Hicks is very talented, but needs strength as well.

Don't sleep on Brice Johnson. If he gets stronger and mentally tougher, he will show a tough game. He's so thin I think he's still two years away from making an impact.

With Syracuse and Pitt coming in next year, coupled with Roy's coaching; I see the heels finishing upper middle in the conference. Pick them 5-6 and should make the tourney. Without experienced NBA lottery picks at all positions, I can't see a higher finish. Of course, he does have a carryover timeout. Don't know which game he'll use it.

Mal
03-25-2013, 01:24 PM

Here's hoping they get another chance at us. ;)

Re: the showboating, on the court it seems to mostly be Sherwood Brown. The bench guys are more obnoxious. Dudes, you're not even playing.

I must say, all the plaudits for Brown's motivational locker room speeches appear to be totally unearned. His leadership in a general sense, however, looks like the real thing.

I wonder if, when the founders of Florida Gulf Coast University were sitting down to write out a mission statement and some organizational/institutional goals and timelines, they had "Make Sweet 16 in 6th year of Division I basketball, and do so in such fashion and with such pizazz that literally 50 million Americans who had previously never heard of us will adopt our school as their favorite team, in the process getting to know where we are, what our school mascot and colors are, and get the impression we're up and coming and a lot of fun to be around. Oh, and get a matchup against the Gators on the big stage while we're at it" on their list. This kind of marketing could not possibly be purchased. The unfortunate underside of that, of course, is that schools will continue to pump more money into their athletic programs vs. their academic programs than would be remotely reasonable in a rational universe, and point to FGCU as the reason.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-25-2013, 06:55 PM
After all, they are the team of Joakim Noah; Back-to-Back Championships; a coach on non-stop ads.
They're team that finally killed George Mason as the Cinderella.
They're team that threatens FGCU, the Cinderella of the moment.

BigZ
03-25-2013, 07:53 PM
I know I cant change my pick in the poll but I do know believe Michigan not Kansas will win this region.