PDA

View Full Version : MLax: Duke 12, Towson 4

burnspbesq
03-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Solid performance all around. Could have been 15 or 16, but Tigers goaltender Andrew Wascavange was superb.

Hat trick for Case Matheis. Brendan Fowler 15-for-19 on face-offs. Duke 35-25 on GBs.

Quick turnaround for Marist on Monday night.

TKG
03-16-2013, 04:00 PM
I was able to attend today's game and was happy that the boys did not suffer a let down after beating Carolina on Wednesday. This was the first time I had seen the team in person and couple of things struck me. Unlike Duke teams of the recent past, this team doesn't appear to have great team speed. They seem to prefer running set offense rather than a fast breaking style. On more than one occasion today when it seemed Duke had numbers in transition, they slowed down in the offensive end and worked the ball methodically. This team doesn't have potent "snipers"; guys who can score from the perimeter. Duke's offense looks like the lacrosse answer to the Princeton basketball offense; work the ball, work the ball and work the ball some more.

Hey, the boys scored 12 goals today and that would seem to contradict many of the observations made above. But, Duke was physically bigger than Towson and Duke was the equal of the Tigers in quickness. But there is still a sizable gap between Towson and, say, Maryland, Notre Dame and some of the other elite teams.