PDA

View Full Version : Duke's 2nd-3rd Round Games -- Where?

sagegrouse
03-16-2013, 11:38 AM
If I understand the system correctly, the 2nd-3rd round games are organized into 16 pods, each headed by a #1 through #4 seed. There are two pods per site. Here are the eight sites and dates:

March 21, 23 (Thu-Sat)
The Palace of Auburn Hills (Auburn Hills, Mich.)
Rupp Arena (Lexington, Ky.)
EnergySolutions Arena (Salt Lake City, Utah)
HP Pavilion (San Jose, Calif.)

March 22, 24 (Fri-Sun)
Frank Erwin Center (Austin, Texas)
UD Arena (Dayton, Ohio)
Sprint Center (Kansas City, Mo.)
Wells Fargo Center (Philadelphia)

First impressionL: no obvious location for the schools from the southern state heading pods: Duke, Miami, Florida. Moreover, lots of Midwest teams with high seeds.

Whaddaya think? Georgetown and Duke to Philadelphia (good memories there)? Those would be Fri-Sun games.

Other teams. I suppose Miami and/or Florida go to Austin. Michigan and Mich. State to Auburn Hills? Louisville to Lexington? Indiana and Ohio State to Dayton? Kansas to Kansas City?

Anyone else happy that Greensboro is not a venue this year?

sagegrouse

CrazyNotCrazie
03-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Someone with more time on their hands can do the math, but I think Philly is the closest location, other than possibly Rupp, and we obviously would rather go to Philly rather than Rupp for reasons I don't need to explain. I can't keep track of all of the location and seeding rules, but I don't think there will be enough teams ahead of us in the pecking order who might also want Philly that they would keep us away from there. The Philly/DC combo would work really nicely. I was also hoping for Philly as Friday would give us an extra day off after a 3-day slog through the ACCs, but that is obviously no longer an issue...

pfrduke
03-16-2013, 04:51 PM
March 21, 23 (Thu-Sat)

March 22, 24 (Fri-Sun)
UD Arena (Dayton, Ohio)

It's hard to see us anywhere other than Philadelphia. Even if we were to end up 9th in the drafting order (and I can't really foresee any reasonable possibility of being even that low), there aren't two other schools for which that is a preferred destination:

Gonzaga - SLC
Indiana - Dayton
Louisville - Lexington
Kansas - Kansas City
Miami - Lexington
Ohio State - Dayton
Michigan State - Auburn Hills
Georgetown - Philadelphia

pfrduke
03-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Someone with more time on their hands can do the math, but I think Philly is the closest location, other than possibly Rupp, and we obviously would rather go to Philly rather than Rupp for reasons I don't need to explain. I can't keep track of all of the location and seeding rules, but I don't think there will be enough teams ahead of us in the pecking order who might also want Philly that they would keep us away from there. The Philly/DC combo would work really nicely. I was also hoping for Philly as Friday would give us an extra day off after a 3-day slog through the ACCs, but that is obviously no longer an issue...

Believe it or not (I found this surprising) Philadelphia is closer than Lexington by car (which I think is how they measure distance for preference). Philly is 397 miles from Durham, Lexington 470.

dukeofcalabash
03-16-2013, 06:50 PM
If I understand the system correctly, the 2nd-3rd round games are organized into 16 pods, each headed by a #1 through #4 seed. There are two pods per site. Here are the eight sites and dates:

March 21, 23 (Thu-Sat)

March 22, 24 (Fri-Sun)
UD Arena (Dayton, Ohio)

First impressionL: no obvious location for the schools from the southern state heading pods: Duke, Miami, Florida. Moreover, lots of Midwest teams with high seeds.

Whaddaya think? Georgetown and Duke to Philadelphia (good memories there)? Those would be Fri-Sun games.

Other teams. I suppose Miami and/or Florida go to Austin. Michigan and Mich. State to Auburn Hills? Louisville to Lexington? Indiana and Ohio State to Dayton? Kansas to Kansas City?

Anyone else happy that Greensboro is not a venue this year?

sagegrouse

Let's hope the TEAM concentrates on the 1st round game this year ----- that's all!

SCMatt33
03-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Right now, the only way that we would end up anywhere other than Philly is to finish behind both Georgetown AND Syracuse. The committee got pretty lucky this year that the strength is mostly in the Midwest, and there is an abundance of Midwest sites, so it would be hard to imagine that Duke got displaced because someone wanted Philly as a secondary site and got boxed out from a Midwest site.