PDA

View Full Version : Bulletin Board Material

VaDukie
08-20-2007, 04:08 PM
In case our guys needed any:

http://slamonline.com/online/2007/08/slam-college-top-25/

The list is laughable, but even so - we need to shut some people up this year.

Classof06
08-20-2007, 04:17 PM

Couldn't agree more. Duke has a lot of payback to dish out this coming year. I really do expect to see all of our returning players come back with some sort of chip on their shoulder and I hope that attitude gets passed on to the incoming freshmen as well. The thing I like about our freshman, not to sound cliched, is that they seem like ultra-competitive kids who want to win. I noticed that about Singler about 2 minutes into the McD's AA Game, and the ESPN commentators even mentioned it during the game as well. Also, watching the South Medford-Oak Hill game on YouTube, you saw how competitive Smith and Singler are, both breaking the 30 point mark; simply put, these kids didn't come to Duke to go 8-8 in the ACC. Every day I get more excited for the season. Can't believe it's still August...

Clipsfan
08-20-2007, 04:22 PM

That list is awful, as is the level of "writing" which accompanies it. Don't waste your time looking at it.

ACCBBallFan
08-21-2007, 02:57 AM
Yeh, author did seem to go out of his way to not mention Duke but have 5 SEC teams and none named FL, who I agree is not top 25.

and 5 PAC10, the latter not being that surprising other than one of them is not Oregon.

Guess Jamal Boykin makes a bigger difference for Cal than I thought.[Actually it is because James Hardin did not go NBA route and returned for senior year]

Too much love for Lute too.

Does not seem to favor Big East much either with no Pitt or Nova.

Have not read the comments yet, but other than these, picks seem pretty reasonable

Wander
08-21-2007, 09:58 AM
It's not even worth bulletin board material. It's a joke. Oregon, the 7th best team in the Pac-10? Virginia, a Top 25 team?

VAGentleman05
08-21-2007, 12:58 PM
It's not even worth bulletin board material. It's a joke. Oregon, the 7th best team in the Pac-10? Virginia, a Top 25 team?

Were you around last year when Virginia beat Duke and tied for 1st in the Conference (at 12-4, a full 4 games ahead of Duke)?

Wander
08-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Were you around last year when Virginia beat Duke and tied for 1st in the Conference (at 12-4, a full 4 games ahead of Duke)?

First of all, it was 11-5, not 12-4. Secondly, they tied for 1st in the conference because they had the easiest ACC schedule, by far. Finally, they beat Duke on their home floor - so what? Duke wasn't a Top 25 team last year, so beating Duke on your home floor, while a solid win, wasn't really all that special. I'm not sure why you think beating Duke last year makes a team Top 25 material for this year.

Virginia was a borderline Top 25 team last year, and they're going to get worse, not better, so I don't see how they can be a Top 25 team this year.

VaDukie
08-21-2007, 02:18 PM

Wander pretty much said everything that needed to be said, but I'd only had that were you around last year when UVA had some frankly embarassing losses that everyone seemed to forget in building the wahoo hype? Utah? Appalachian State? Miami? Wake Forest with a chance to win the ACC outright?

No question Leitao's on the path to building a solid program, but you don't have a top 25 team next year.

ACCBBallFan
08-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Were you around last year when Virginia beat Duke and tied for 1st in the Conference (at 12-4, a full 4 games ahead of Duke)? ACC Unbalanced schedule has already been mentioned.

Unfortunately for Leitao, JR Reynolds who co led with Singletary and Jason Cain the leading rebounder were around last year, but not ths year.

My surname sake John Crotty went to UVA and I always liked Pete Gillen more for his sense of humor than his rapid fire timeouts, and now Dave Leitao who I knew about from when I lived in CT

VA Gent - Any word yet on how Leitao is resolving his 14 players on scholarship versus the 13 limit rule?

Here’s the link

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=summer_hoops_preview_bottom_half&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

“Oh, and you might notice that UVA has 14 players on scholarship. The NCAA says you can only have 13. Leitao says they'll fix the problem before the season starts. That means someone on the roster is going to have to pull a Wes Miller.”

So if red shirts do count against the 13 scholarship limit, somebody gonna have to pay their own freight or have their scholarship pulled which would probably mean they sit out a year and go elsewhere.