PDA

View Full Version : JJ on JJ

wilson
03-15-2013, 01:10 PM
As an offshoot of the "Most Hated NCAA Player" feature, Grantland has a new piece up with J.J. Redick reflecting on his NCAA career and how he dealt with the unmitigated hate volleyed at him for four years. He strikes a measured tone, with mature appraisal of the follies of youth ("I was sort of a prick"). It's a really interesting look into his self-image and the ways he's matured as a player and a man. Definitely worth a read.
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/54296/i-was-sort-of-a-prick-j-j-redick-on-playing-j-j-redick

tbyers11
03-15-2013, 01:39 PM
As an offshoot of the "Most Hated NCAA Player" feature, Grantland has a new piece up with J.J. Redick reflecting on his NCAA career and how he dealt with the unmitigated hate volleyed at him for four years. He strikes a measured tone, with mature appraisal of the follies of youth ("I was sort of a prick"). It's a really interesting look into his self-image and the ways he's matured as a player and a man. Definitely worth a read.
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/54296/i-was-sort-of-a-prick-j-j-redick-on-playing-j-j-redick

I really enjoyed the self-reflective tone in the JJ article. How he adopted the cocky persona to deal with the hate.

Apropos of tonight's matchup I liked his discussion of the hatred at Maryland (emphasis mine)

“[It was worst] at Maryland,” J.J. Redick says. “That’s when there was still a rivalry there, dating back to the Miracle Minute and Maryland winning in 2002. It was pretty heated for my first couple years there.”

BobbyFan
03-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Although he did more than other Duke players would do, the audacity of JJ's antics have always been blown out of proportion. Of course we know there are a few reasons why this happens.

This is actually one of those moments that the article cites. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iPAmUCfB5A&t=6m55s) I mean, really?

wilson
03-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Although he did more than other Duke players would do, the audacity of JJ's antics have always been blown out of proportion. Of course we know there are a few reasons why this happens.

This is actually one of those moments that the article cites. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iPAmUCfB5A&t=6m55s) I mean, really?The significance of that three-finger salute in that configuration is far more incendiary/obscene than it would appear at first blush.

DukeAlumBS
03-15-2013, 03:01 PM
My friends, this is the 2nd reading from that place. I see the picture of JJ Reddick. I see a man with a subtle arrogance he EARNED! Nothing more, nothing less.
He earned this bearing at a very young age. It did him well.

Have nice day,

Jimmy

Orange&BlackSheep
03-15-2013, 03:06 PM
The significance of that three-finger salute in that configuration is far more incendiary/obscene than it would appear at first blush.

Game was close ... and he just kept hitting threes to close it out. Every replay even as it was happening I would focus on the crowd, and you could just see the frustration of "Not again" as another one went in.

Beautiful.

O&BSheep

CharlestonDevil
03-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Arrogant players are a personal pet peeve of mine in any sport. Over confident players are a dime a dozen.

JJ, however, was AWESOME. The man could do whatever he wanted on a basketball court (except dunk). If he wanted to throw up 3 fingers after a big shot he deserved it.

wilson
03-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Game was close ... and he just kept hitting threes to close it out. Every replay even as it was happening I would focus on the crowd, and you could just see the frustration of "Not again" as another one went in.

Beautiful.

O&BSheepOh hell yeah, I loved that game; I was just pointing out that his three fingers were in no way innocuous (and I'm certain that JJ himself would readily admit this).

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Oh hell yeah, I loved that game; I was just pointing out that his three fingers were in no way innocuous (and I'm certain that JJ himself would readily admit this).

It's not that he held up three fingers, it's the position of the three fingers that is inappropriate. I can't explai what it means on this site, but trust me - its incredibly inappropriate and this gesture hit its popularity during JJ's tenure.

DukeAlumBS
03-15-2013, 03:35 PM
My friends, I use the term a sublte arrogance. It upset people, fans, players. JJ was a winner, a confident player, who WON.
I have seen him in many games, including the Texas game in NY. The Kentucky game and so on. The Texas game where he scored 40!
He was a dedicated ballplayer, who did above and beyond what he had to do. If subtle arrogance you find a hard time, this has been life for hundreds of years.
WEAK people have a HARD TIME WITH THIS. Becaues they are very weak. There are very many weak people out there!

Go DUKE
He is a winner, he is not weak. And IMO he is not arrogant. He earned this, on his own.

Nice day
Jim

cato
03-15-2013, 03:36 PM

Beautiful.

O&BSheep

One might even go so far as to say they were shocked by his three.

NashvilleDevil
03-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Arrogant players are a personal pet peeve of mine in any sport. Over confident players are a dime a dozen.

JJ, however, was AWESOME. The man could do whatever he wanted on a basketball court (except dunk). If he wanted to throw up 3 fingers after a big shot he deserved it.

He dunked several times his senior year. They weren't shake your head ridiculous like Mason's but he threw it down. He also did it two handed which I always found more difficult to do.

BobbyFan
03-15-2013, 03:45 PM
The significance of that three-finger salute in that configuration is far more incendiary/obscene than it would appear at first blush.

Oops; I didn't realize it was those 3 fingers. My basic point is the same though.

Bluedog
03-15-2013, 03:49 PM
He dunked several times his senior year. They weren't shake your head ridiculous like Mason's but he threw it down. He also did it two handed which I always found more difficult to do.

I believe JJ only dunked twice his senior year. After his first dunk of his career (vs. Maryland) on 1/12/2006:

"I'll give it maybe like a 5.142 out of 10," Redick said of his jam. "It wasn't much of a blow it was kind of weak. There hadn't been a dead ball in a while so my legs were kind of tired, and you know that just switched further affirmation to me on why I shouldn't dunk. It takes way too much energy, and for the next possession my legs were just like shooting with pain. So no more dunking for me. I got my one, I'm done."

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2006/01/12/blue-devils-slam-terrapins

Orange&BlackSheep
03-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Oh hell yeah, I loved that game; I was just pointing out that his three fingers were in no way innocuous (and I'm certain that JJ himself would readily admit this).

the crap that was being talked to him all the time that we are not privy to ... I give the three-finger salute a little slack.

MartyClark
03-15-2013, 04:49 PM
the crap that was being talked to him all the time that we are not privy to ... I give the three-finger salute a little slack.

Tough as nails. Cool under pressure. Took more abuse from opposing fans than anyone should have to tolerate. He earned the right to send an occasional message to opposing fans.

Des Esseintes
03-15-2013, 05:47 PM

Beautiful.

O&BSheep

I had forgotten about this game when we had the thread about great individual performances. This game is maybe a notch below the Texas performance, but considering the venue and the way he scored so many so late, it deserves at least a mention. I remember on the Sportscenter that immediately followed Scott Van Pelt shouting during the recap, "JJ Redick is from outer space!"