Fear no turtle - beat the Twerps.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Fear no turtle - beat the Twerps.

We own the Big Ten. No worries.

NDMD
03-14-2013, 09:32 PM
We own the Big Ten. No worries.

At that ever-so-neutral court located in Greensboro, North Carolina, you should have no problems at all.

In fact, it's a lock.

Duke by 20+

OldPhiKap
03-14-2013, 09:35 PM
At that ever-so-neutral court located in Greensboro, North Carolina, you should have no problems at all.

In fact, it's a lock.

Duke by 20+

Wondering if they brought a large fan base from Alaska. Doubt it.

Where does the B10 have their tourney? Dubuque?

Hell, against Md, we may need get some neutral fans to pull for us. Other than Heel fans, of course.

JasonEvans
03-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Payback time!!!!!

I am certain Mason wants another shot at Len, who just has not looked anything like a high lottery pick lately. It should be fun to watch the Terp PFs chase Ryan around too!

-Jason "I want to stomp them by 30!!" Evans

NDMD
03-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Wondering if they brought a large fan base from Alaska. Doubt it.

Hell, against Md, we may need get some neutral fans to pull for us. Other than Heel fans, of course.

This year's BIG tournament will be held in Chicago.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2013, 09:59 PM

I hear they want to move it to Madison Square Garden. We're doomed.

gofurman
03-14-2013, 11:02 PM

In fact, it's a lock.

Duke by 20+

Maryland played only two players over thirty minutes. Wake played a lot of guys over thirty minutes. Duke would have garnered more of a fatigue advantage had wake won. Just a note
Also Maryland is a more physical team than wake and will take more out of our devils IMHO than wake would have. Important if considering trying to win Saturday etc

roywhite
03-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Is the current thought that Maryland will play one more season in the ACC?

I'd be happy to see them go sooner, and what better exit prize than a thorough beating by their "rival".

NDMD
03-14-2013, 11:32 PM
I'd be happy to see them go sooner, and what better exit prize than a thorough beating by their "rival".

Dear Roy,

No one in College Park expects Maryland to win tomorrow night.

Especially, in Greensboro. A Duke win tomorrow is a done deal.

Bluedog
03-14-2013, 11:37 PM
I don't know why people are giving NDMD a hard time...I kinda liked having a Terp around.....for now.

Turtle soup tomorrow night!

sagegrouse
03-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Key questions for the Maryland game:

1. How will Mason do vs. Alex Len? This is the million-dollar match-up.

2. Will Kelly play well against the beefy Terps? Padgett(6-8, 235) usually starts, but Charles Mitchell (6-8, 260) and Shaquille Cleare (6-9, 265) will see plenty of action guarding both Ryan and Mason.

3. Can the Duke shooters get and make open shots against the big guards for the Terps. This was a problem in College Park; not so much in Durham.

3a. And will Rasheed be an effective offensive performer after four down games?

4. Can the fumbling Terps take care of the ball? TO's and easy run-outs will make Duke's task easier. No prediction here, but this will be a key performance indicator. (Do we use the acronym KPI in hoops?).

5. Who has the fire in the belly for this game? The Terps have the motivation, although they are sub-bubble at the moment. I expect Duke to be on a mission.

sagegrouse
'Go Duke!'

Duvall
03-15-2013, 01:22 AM

In fact, it's a lock.

Duke by 20+

The majority of fans in the building tomorrow night will be rooting for Maryland. Doubt it will affect the result much.

g-money
03-15-2013, 01:28 AM

1. How will Mason do vs. Alex Len? This is the million-dollar match-up. '

Nice write-up Sage.

I suspect that Mason has watched the replay of the travesty in College Park (starting with Len's two handed shove in the back at the beginning of the game) and is plenty motivated for this one. I think it will play out a lot more like the first game against MD than the second one.

I expect Duke to be on a mission.

Agreed. I think we pound the Terps by 20 and send them packing to the NIT.

ice-9
03-15-2013, 01:40 AM
We have good reason to be confident, but we shouldn't get too overconfident.

Maryland will be fighting for their tournament lives -- beat us again and win the semi-final game after and they are in the NCAA tournament.

They're going to be hungry and aggressive; we will have to match their energy.

DUKIE V(A)
03-15-2013, 05:35 AM

In fact, it's a lock.

Duke by 20+

Agree that Duke will win the game handily, but because Duke is a much better team than Maryland (not because it is in Greensboro).

davekay1971
03-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Agree that Duke will win the game handily, but because Duke is a much better team than Maryland (not because it is in Greensboro).

NDMD is a terp fan, so he's terping about the location. Remember, Maryland has never lost to Duke because Duke's a better team. It's the refs, or the location, or some dirty K trick, or whatever.

As for the actual game, Maryland's size gave us fits last time around. We're a bigger team with RK back, and the spread he gives our offense should give Maryland a harder time at the defensive end. Our perimeter guys need to keep the Maryland guards from penetrating and, as long as that happens and we hit some shots, we should be ok.

Expect the house to be packed with Tarheel fans cheering for Maryland. But Duke's used to that in Greensboro.

Go Duke, Go FSU.

captmojo
03-15-2013, 07:15 AM
If both these teams are healthy and playing at their utmost best abilities, the turtles are no match. They could play in a heated gym in Antartica, it wouldn't affect the outcome of a Duke win...by 20-25 points.

I won't be able to go so far as to say,"Goodbye". I also can't wait to see how the Maryland Hospitality Corps is responded to by their future midwest visitors. Whew!

Katie! Katie!
Door.

wilson
03-15-2013, 07:20 AM
A lot of people seem to have forgotten that Maryland will still be in the ACC next year. They will not be joining the B1G until the 2014-15 academic year, so irrespective of this evening's outcome, the game will not be the twerps' ACC swan song. It will still be enjoyable to mop the court with them another time, but we'll have that opportunity at least once or twice more next season.

77devil
03-15-2013, 07:40 AM
The majority of fans in the building tomorrow night will be rooting for Maryland.

Tonight may be the exception to the rule. Plenty of anti MD sentiment in the building last night.

captmojo
03-15-2013, 07:41 AM
A lot of people seem to have forgotten that Maryland will still be in the ACC next year. They will not be joining the B1G until the 2014-15 academic year, so irrespective of this evening's outcome, the game will not be the twerps' ACC swan song. It will still be enjoyable to mop the court with them another time, but we'll have that opportunity at least once or twice more next season.

An excellent observation.

They're still on the gone list.

davekay1971
03-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Tonight may be the exception to the rule. Plenty of anti MD sentiment in the building last night.

I have a feeling the Tarheel fans filling the building will find a way to cheer for the Terps. I know I'd find it in me to cheer for Md if they were playing against UNC. After all, one team is our rivals, the other team only wants to be. :D

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2013, 08:01 AM
I have a feeling the Tarheel fans filling the building will find a way to cheer for the Terps. I know I'd find it in me to cheer for Md if they were playing against UNC. After all, one team is our rivals, the other team only wants to be. :D
Or maybe they will stay focused on their wine and cheese baskets silently watching and hoping for another shot at us tomorrow... :cool:

Bob Green
03-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Key questions for the Maryland game

These are some great questions so here is my two cents on each one:

A quick comparison of stats between the games at Duke and at Maryland tells the story. In Cameron, Mason outscores Len 19 to 8. In College Park, Len outscores Mason 19 to 4. Len went 7-8 from the free throw line and Mason fouled out of the game. The key to this match-up will take place on the defensive end of the court. Mason must defend Len without fouling and secure defensive rebounds to prevent Len from having second and third chances to score. I believe having Kelly in the line-up will help. Moreover, Duke needs to create turnovers and get out in transition to take advantage of Mason's superior athleticism. Alex Len does not run the court well.

2. Will Kelly play well against the beefy Terps? Padgett(6-8, 235) usually starts, but Charles Mitchell (6-8, 260) and Shaquille Cleare (6-9, 265) will see plenty of action guarding both Ryan and Mason.

This will be the first time Maryland has seen Kelly so I'll turn this question around and ask, "Will Maryland achieve success defending Kelly?" I'm not predicting or expecting a 36 point performance from Kelly, but I am predicting a solid game where Kelly does the things Kelly does and scores somewhere close to his season average of ~15 points per game. Kelly needs to keep those "beefy Terps" on the perimeter and out of the post to assist Mason in achieving some success with offensive rebounding and 2nd chance points.

3. Can the Duke shooters get and make open shots against the big guards for the Terps. This was a problem in College Park; not so much in Durham.

Duke shot 50% on 3s in Cameron (11-22) but struggled mightily in College Park knocking down only six 3s. That's 15 less points from the bonusphere. Scoring points on 3s provides Duke two advantages. The first one is obvious - long range jumpers count 3 points instead of 2; however, the more important advantage is they stretch the opponent's defense providing Mason room to operate in the post. In the end, I truly believe the outcome of this game will be dependent upon Mason controlling the interior, but it is imperative his teammates provide him adequate support to accomplish his mission. A solid performance from Duke's shooters behind the 3 PT line would be huge for Mason in his efforts to neutralize Len.

My response here is a little tricky. With Kelly back in the line-up, the team needs perimeter defense from Sulaimon more than they need offense. Now don't misinterpret my statement to mean points from Sulaimon are not important because points are always important. However, I am of the opinion that defense wins championships and Duke needs Sulaimon to bring his defensive "A" Game onto the court more than they need him to bring his offensive "A" Game. This will be especially true against the turnover prone Terps. Sulaimon has good size and can match-up against Maryland's bigger perimeter players so he needs to use his length and lateral quickness to disrupt Maryland's offensive flow.

The eye test suggests the best way for Sulaimon to have a strong defensive performance is to start off fast on offense. Therefore, it would be great to see his first couple of shots be successful tonight.

4. Can the fumbling Terps take care of the ball? TO's and easy run-outs will make Duke's task easier. No prediction here, but this will be a key performance indicator. (Do we use the acronym KPI in hoops?)

Turnovers are always key - - I think. As I stated above, Mason is much more athletic than Len so Duke in transition plays to Mason's strength and Len's weakness. Inside Cameron, Duke scored 18 points off of 14 Maryland turnovers, while only committing four TOs that resulted in five Maryland points. That's a 13 point advantage. At College Park, Maryland turned the ball over 26 times resulting in 27 Duke points, while the Terps only scored 12 points off of 12 Duke turnovers. That's a 15 point advantage but Maryland still won the game!

5. Who has the fire in the belly for this game? The Terps have the motivation, although they are sub-bubble at the moment. I expect Duke to be on a mission.

As I stated in the Phase IV Thread, if Mason Plumlee is the player we need him to be he is excited about this opportunity for a rematch against Alex Len. Mason Plumlee must be the man with "the fire in the belly" tonight! To steal a phrase someone else used somewhere, "Mason needs to show up in his Big Boy pants!"

So my three keys to the game are:

1. Mason Plumlee neutralizing Alex Len inside.
2. Solid performance by Duke's shooters behind the 3 PT line.
3. Pressure defense turning over the Terps and creating points in transition for the Blue Devils.

OldPhiKap
03-15-2013, 09:02 AM
I don't think the Heel fans want to face us again unless they are forced to do so. I am sure they will pull for Maryland, regardless.

Of course, I won't be pulling for the Heels either. So it's all good.

capitolhill
03-15-2013, 09:41 AM
I suspect that Mason has watched the replay of the travesty in College Park (starting with Len's two handed shove in the back at the beginning of the game) and is plenty motivated for this one.....

It sounds like you're "terping", or making excuses for Len's dominance over Mason. In fact, after that loss, I read plenty of "terping" on this board.

Mason should bounce back against Len. Len's a more talented prospect, but he's younger, less experienced and not as strong as Mason.

DukeAlumBS
03-15-2013, 11:05 AM
My friends,
I made the mistake about reading that foreign policy BS about Duke . I read your comments, concerns about the game. After reading that article I have changed my feelings about todays game. I disagree with Kelly getting 15. I think he is going to be around 25 today. Open the team up like the Miami game. Plumlee will have a field day against Maryland. All our guards will be on the money. And we will win by 20!
Should have put that article somewhere else!

Have a nice day and weekend,

Go Duke

Jimmy

Bob Green
03-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Vegas line has Duke favored by 9 points with the over/under set at 143 so they are looking for a score in the neighborhood of 76-67.

loran16
03-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Vegas line has Duke favored by 9 points with the over/under set at 143 so they are looking for a score in the neighborhood of 76-67.

Pomeroy has 76-65. Unsurprisingly the two are pretty damn close though I'm surprised Vegas has Duke LESS of a favorite.

jcastranio
03-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Revenge factor: It belongs to Duke this time. Sorry, terps, that's the rule.

Mason response to getting a** handed to him last time out factor: That is going to Duke.

Maryland turnover factor: I'll give it to MD this time. They cannot possibly turn it over as much this time as last time.

Ryan Kelly factor: This has to swing Duke's way. Extra points from Ryan's shooting and opening things up for other shooters -- worth at least 12 points.

Seth Curry leg factor: six days off before the game - this goes to Duke.

Desperation factor: Big time to Maryland. They gotta have it.

Being a little tired because we were on the court 22 hours ago factor: This goes against Maryland. Sucks to play the first day. Biggest impact is second half.

Being a little more used to the arena because we were just on the court 22 hours ago factor: This goes for Maryland. Biggest possible impact is first ten minutes.

Chip on the shoulder because Duke gets all the calls and we get no respect and we are leaving the ACC and other stuff factor: Obviously for Maryland.

Our fans might be way over-confident, but we have the greatest coach in the history of the world and we are so thankful that he was not chosen by the Cardinals to be the Pope and thus miss the NCAA tournament and he will have us ready factor: I'm going to go with Duke on this one.

Add them all up --

Mason - 20 points, 13 rebounds

Seth - 16 points

Ryan - 14 points, 8 rebounds

Quinn - 12 points, 8 assists

Rasheed - 8 points, great defense

Duke will win 78-65.

superdave
03-15-2013, 11:45 AM
4. Can the fumbling Terps take care of the ball? TO's and easy run-outs will make Duke's task easier. No prediction here, but this will be a key performance indicator. (Do we use the acronym KPI in hoops?).

Maryland had 26 turnovers vs. Duke when they beat us. Allen had 8 and Wells had 6.

If we do not force these guys to protect the ball, we deserve to lose. We need to attack this weakness. Tyler should be all over the passing lanes and Quinn has got to pressure the ball, with everyone else ready to rotate in case Seth Allen gets by Quinn.

The Gordog
03-15-2013, 11:47 AM
It sounds like you're "terping", or making excuses for Len's dominance over Mason. In fact, after that loss, I read plenty of "terping" on this board.

Mason should bounce back against Len. Len's a more talented prospect, but he's younger, less experienced and not as strong as Mason.

No. Terping would be if he said that the reason we lost in College Park was because the refs failed to call a push on the play.

oldnavy
03-15-2013, 11:51 AM

So everyone says. I know all the announcers are falling all over themselves to praise how wonderful Len is/could be, but I just don't see it.

He is tall... but he got out played by a pretty average Freshman last night.

I am not drinking the kool-aide on how wonderful Alex Len "is going to be". There have been a lot of "potentially" great players.

Kedsy
03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Another thing to consider is in the first Duke/Maryland game this seasons, Seth Allen was suspended for the first half and played just 10 minutes for the game. In College Park, Allen played 29 minutes and scored 16 points (also had 8 turnovers).

In their win over Duke, Maryland shot 60% (78% on 2-pointers). They only shot 41% in Durham and they shoot 46% for the season. I think that's a key this game -- if Maryland gets lots of easy inside looks and shoots a high percentage, it'll probably be a close game. If we can hold them closer to their season averages, Duke should win comfortably.

Ryan Kelly will be an interesting variable. I'm not sure the beef brothers (Cleare and Mitchell) can effectively chase Ryan around the perimeter. That would leave the assignment to either Padgett or (less likely) Layman, and Ryan should be able to win either of those matchups. Also, if Maryland is forced to expend defensive attention on Ryan, as others have pointed out that would leave Mason one-on-one with Len, and that should be to our advantage.

On the perimeter, Seth scored 25 in the 2nd Maryland game; Rasheed scored 25 in the first Maryland game. Quinn did pretty well in both. Based on that limited evidence, it would seem Maryland can effectively defend only one of our three perimeter guys at a time. On defense, whatever we've been doing against Dez Wells has been reasonably effective, though he killed us on the boards both games (7 & 8 rebounds).

Overall, I'd guess our offense should be pretty effective in this game. Maryland should continue to turn the ball over. If we can keep them close to their season shooting averages, we should be OK.

Billy Dat
03-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Ryan Kelly will be an interesting variable. I'm not sure the beef brothers (Cleare and Mitchell) can effectively chase Ryan around the perimeter. That would leave the assignment to either Padgett or (less likely) Layman, and Ryan should be able to win either of those matchups. Also, if Maryland is forced to expend defensive attention on Ryan, as others have pointed out that would leave Mason one-on-one with Len, and that should be to our advantage.

Do we think Ryan is better off initially trying to catch and drive on the beef brothers or catch and shoot? He'll do what the defense gives him, I guess, but I'd like to see us put some pressure on that front line by making Len come over to help when Ryan drives leaving some dump off opportunities for Mason, assuming Ryan can drive on them which I think he can, especially if he sets them up with shot fakes. However they defend, I hope Ryan can learn from the early stretches of the Carolina game and pull up rather than allow Maryland to draw charges.

Kedsy
03-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Do we think Ryan is better off initially trying to catch and drive on the beef brothers or catch and shoot? He'll do what the defense gives him, I guess, but I'd like to see us put some pressure on that front line by making Len come over to help when Ryan drives leaving some dump off opportunities for Mason, assuming Ryan can drive on them which I think he can, especially if he sets them up with shot fakes. However they defend, I hope Ryan can learn from the early stretches of the Carolina game and pull up rather than allow Maryland to draw charges.

If Maryland defends Ryan the way most teams do, he'll get a couple clean looks early and will shoot them. Hopefully one or more go in. Once the hefty heifers attempt to come out to stop the three, Ryan can drive. My guess is they foul him way before he's in danger of committing the offensive foul. Soon after that, Cleare and Mitchell will likely take a seat on the bench for most of the rest of the game.

BD80
03-15-2013, 12:43 PM
This year's BIG tournament will be held in Chicago.

Next year it gets interesting, with the addition of Rutgers and Md. I hear GoogleMaps and Mapquest are vying for the sponsorship rights. Considering Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, I hear Toronto is the leading candidate ...

... 1. How will Mason do vs. Alex Len? This is the million-dollar match-up. ...

sagegrouse
'Go Duke!'

Literally. This could move either or both up or down a few slots in the draft.

One factor often overlooked is that we haven't played in 5 days, whereas Md played on these rims last night. This often leads to the underdog taking a lead early in the game.

We CANNOT compound the problem with a lethargic start. We really need to come out hard on defense.

gwlaw99
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Len says they are going with a small line up with 6'5 Dez Wells guarding Kelly.
www.heraldsun.com/sports/x145778220/Ryan-Kelly-is-wild-card-as-Maryland-readies-to-face-Duke-today

cato
03-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Also, if Maryland is forced to expend defensive attention on Ryan, as others have pointed out that would leave Mason one-on-one with Len, and that should be to our advantage.

Am I totally misremembering the game in College Park? I thought Len mostly defended Mason one-on-one. That said, I was quite frustrated that whole game, so my recollection is suspect.

Kedsy
03-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Am I totally misremembering the game in College Park? I thought Len mostly defended Mason one-on-one. That said, I was quite frustrated that whole game, so my recollection is suspect.

Well, my recollection could be just as faulty, or faultier, but I recall a lot of double teams and packing of the lane.

Kedsy
03-15-2013, 01:27 PM
www.heraldsun.com/sports/x145778220/Ryan-Kelly-is-wild-card-as-Maryland-readies-to-face-Duke-today

Interesting. Even more interesting on defense, depending on the 5th Maryland starter. Against Wake, the Maryland starters were Faust, Wells, Pe'Shon Howard, Len, and Padgett (who only played 6 minutes). If they start Layman for Padgett, then Ryan can guard him without too much trouble (with Rasheed/Tyler sliding over to take Wells). More likely it'll be Allen, though, which means Ryan would have to stick with Wells, which may present a bit of a challenge for Ryan against a much smaller, quicker player. If Ryan picks up a foul or two trying to check Wells, it could change the tenor of the game.

On the other hand, despite his preference for the perimeter, Ryan also knows how to post up a smaller player. Maryland may have to abandon its gameplan if Ryan can successfully go inside a couple times early.

rsvman
03-15-2013, 01:28 PM
..... They cannot possibly turn it over as much this time as last time....

Not so fast, there. When it comes to turnovers, Maryland takes a "can do" attitude.:)

Chris Randolph
03-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Is there anyway I could listen to the game via my Iphone? (for free)

Chris Randolph
03-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Game prediction:

They go small in hopes of spreading us to attack inside (off the dribble or with Len in the post). Mason answers the call in a rematch game for himself.

First game of the tourney, they played last night. Expect them to start better but Duke will win by 13-16 point range. Sheed gets some mojo back on offense tonight

slower
03-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Dear God, Digger Phelps is a moron. He's on ESPN now, talking about Curry as the PG who's "running the team."

capitolhill
03-15-2013, 03:22 PM
He is tall... but he got out played by a pretty average Freshman last night.

They had pretty comparable lines:

Len:

21minutes, 4-6 (FG), 2-2(FT), 1-1(3pt), 1-5(OR-T), 4(A), 2(blocks), 0(steals), 0(turnover), 4(foul), 11(pts)

Thomas:
35minutes, 6-10 (FG), 2-3(FT), 0-0(3pt), 1-4(OR-T), 4(A), 1(block), 2(steals), 3(turnover), (fouls), 14(pts)

That's hardly out played. Len did his 11 pts in 21 minutes, while Thomas did it in 35. Thomas had 3 more points, but coupled with 3 turnovers.

The Gordog
03-15-2013, 03:27 PM

'Cause that worked so well for Carolina?

The Gordog
03-15-2013, 03:36 PM

The ACC.com has the games streaming.

oldnavy
03-15-2013, 03:45 PM

Len:

21minutes, 4-6 (FG), 2-2(FT), 1-1(3pt), 1-5(OR-T), 4(A), 2(blocks), 0(steals), 0(turnover), 4(foul), 11(pts)

Thomas:
35minutes, 6-10 (FG), 2-3(FT), 0-0(3pt), 1-4(OR-T), 4(A), 1(block), 2(steals), 3(turnover), (fouls), 14(pts)

That's hardly out played. Len did his 11 pts in 21 minutes, while Thomas did it in 35. Thomas had 3 more points, but coupled with 3 turnovers.

For a NBA lottery pick.... he got outplayed.

Saratoga2
03-15-2013, 04:11 PM

sagegrouse
'Go Duke!'

1. I think Mason will have difficulty against Len offensively. Mason doesn't have the mid range game and he is unlikely to get his shot off against Len. Defensively Mason can be pushed back and shot over by the bigger Len. I believe the remedy is for Mason to keep him from getting position near the basket and for one of our guards to prevent him from putting the ball on the floor while he pushes Mason back.

Mason has to be aggressive on defense and work for rebounds. Maryland does have a lot of size and bulk. It is just a difficult matchup for him.

2. Ryan is an X factor for us. Big enough to shoot over them and smart enough to get off midranged shots. Ryan's defense is solid and he should help with rebounding and blocking shots.

3. I believe our shooters can get open shots and lets hope we can make a good percentage of them. They did well enough at Maryland, only losing by a couple with Mason kind of ineffective. Maryland will give us an advantage in TO's, we just can't give the store away inside.

3a. Yes, Rasheed needs to come through and to be on the floor for a good part of the game. I expect Tyler to pick up fouls against the Maryland team.

4. Maryland will turn the ball over and we do need to take advantage of that. It is our main edge.

5. I'm not a subscriber to the fire in ones belly concept. Yes, the team has to play hard and smart.

Kedsy
03-15-2013, 04:14 PM

I didn't see the game so I don't have an opinion on who outplayed whom. But if the guy's really a lottery talent, you'd optimally want him to stay out of foul trouble and play more than 21 minutes, especially when matched up against a 6'9" freshman who wasn't in the top 100 coming out of high school.

Kedsy
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
I think Mason will have difficulty against Len offensively. Mason doesn't have the mid range game and he is unlikely to get his shot off against Len. Defensively Mason can be pushed back and shot over by the bigger Len.

Mason ate Len alive when they tried to guard him one-on-one in Durham. Why do you think it will be different tomorrow?

Maryland does have a lot of size and bulk.

If Maryland plays a small lineup for any length of time (as they're supposedly planning) that should mitigate the size and bulk factor, at least up front. They still might have decent size on the perimeter, depending on how small they go.

Bob Green
03-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Mason has to be aggressive on defense and work for rebounds. Maryland does have a lot of size and bulk. It is just a difficult matchup for him.

i'm not convinced this is true. While Len dominated the game in College Park, inside Cameron Mason had a line of 19 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists. He handled the "difficult" matchup okay that night.

oldnavy
03-15-2013, 04:39 PM
I didn't see the game so I don't have an opinion on who outplayed whom. But if the guy's really a lottery talent, you'd optimally want him to stay out of foul trouble and play more than 21 minutes, especially when matched up against a 6'9" freshman who wasn't in the top 100 coming out of high school.

I watched the game, and Len got outplayed by any "eye test" you care to use. The stat line is similar, however Len should have fouled out on a HORRIBLE call where he two hand shoved a Wake player and the Wake player got called for the foul (that would have been his 4th, and he would have fouled out on what was his 4th a few minutes later).

My point, like yours is that if you are comparing stat lines with a pretty average freshman, then you are probably NOT a true NBA lottery pick.

I know the game in Md, Len played about as well as he has all year. The game at Duke however, Len played pretty poorly. Here is the quote from the Chronicle - "Leading scorer Alex Len, who averages 13.5 points, finished with eight points and 10 rebounds for Maryland. But aside from an early reverse dunk over Plumlee that looked effortless, he was essentially a nonfactor against a Duke front line that was without injured 6-foot-11 forward Ryan Kelly for the fourth straight game".

I bolded the nonfactor section, because in the games I have seen Len play, he is mostly a nonfactor. It was laughable how the announcers kept bringing his name up last night. When he was on the bench, MD actually increased their lead.

JMM shut Len down in the UNC game in CH a week or so ago so that should tell anyone all you need to know about Len.

capitolhill
03-15-2013, 04:42 PM
JMM shut Len down in the UNC game in CH a week or so ago so that should tell anyone all you need to know about Len.

I love how casual sports fans *always* know more than professional coaches and scouts who have spent their lives around the game, recruiting and developing players for a living.

You're right, and the NBA is wrong. Len stinks.

mattman91
03-15-2013, 04:45 PM
My Charter service is out here in Hickory and will require a tech to come and fix the issue tomorrow morning, and until then I will be limited to only local channels.
The Duke game is on one of the ESPN family of networks, is it also gonna be available on local tv? I know the games yesterday and this afternoon were on wbtv, will the Duke game be on that channel as well? I hate streaming online and I would really hate to have to go to The Olde Hickory Taproom to watch it and leave with a hundred dollar bar tab...

dukelifer
03-15-2013, 04:50 PM

Yes- well almost free if you have Tunein radio- WCCG 104.5 carries the game. There may be others.

oldnavy
03-15-2013, 04:54 PM
I love how casual sports fans *always* know more than professional coaches and scouts who have spent their lives around the game, recruiting and developing players for a living.

Well, it's not like the NBA is always right.

-Darko Milicic
-Adam Morrison
-Joe Alexander
-Hasheem Thabeet
-Fran Vazquez
-Rafael Arauju

do I need to go on?

capitolhill
03-15-2013, 04:55 PM
I watched the game, and Len got outplayed by any "eye test" you care to use.

Eye test?

That's meaningless.

Here's an eye test: look at the stat line with your "eyes".

A agree about the foul you refer to, though. I'm amazed he wasn't called for it.

For the record, MD fans are down on Len as well. Mostly because we think he could be doing so much more. From what I hear, he's incredibly homesick and can't wait to get his family over here.

azzefkram
03-15-2013, 04:57 PM

One word... Darko.

I could have at least a dozen others but that should suffice. I personally don't think Len stinks but someone stands a good chance of making a mistake drafting him in the lottery this year.

capitolhill
03-15-2013, 05:05 PM
One word... Darko.

I could have at least a dozen others but that should suffice. I personally don't think Len stinks but someone stands a good chance of making a mistake drafting him in the lottery this year.

Yeah, agreed. It could happen. That doesn't mean that he's not a "legitimate" lottery pick. The guy's only 19 (Mason's 23, for the record). He's going to get bigger, stronger, and better at the game.

It's just like interviewing job candidates. I've hired some great ones, and some not-so-great ones. You never truly know until you work with them for a while.

Len has the physical gifts and work ethic - he just needs more muscle and experience, IMO.

Whatever happens, happens. You guys will probably win tonight - just too many good shooters.

oldnavy
03-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Eye test?

That's meaningless.

Here's an eye test: look at the stat line with your "eyes".

A agree about the foul you refer to, though. I'm amazed he wasn't called for it.

For the record, MD fans are down on Len as well. Mostly because we think he could be doing so much more. From what I hear, he's incredibly homesick and can't wait to get his family over here.

The eye test is simply watching a game and seeing how a player plays in that game. Box scores are not a replacement for seeing the game with your own eyes.

If someone wants to read about how good a player is, or just look at a box score to assess a player that is fine, but I have found watching the game to be much more informative.

Comparing a NBA lottery pick's stats against Devon Thomas' stat line and basically calling them a draw is not the strongest argument you can make for that player.

So you think he could be doing "so much more".... well isn't that what I am saying? I don't care what the reason is, Len is just not a very good basketball player at this point.

Oh, and I forgot... what about Shawn Bradley.... the NBA thought a lot of him as well.

oldnavy
03-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Yeah, agreed. It could happen. That doesn't mean that he's not a "legitimate" lottery pick. The guy's only 19 (Mason's 23, for the record). He's going to get bigger, stronger, and better at the game.

It's just like interviewing job candidates. I've hired some great ones, and some not-so-great ones. You never truly know until you work with them for a while.

Len has the physical gifts and work ethic - he just needs more muscle and experience, IMO.

Whatever happens, happens. You guys will probably win tonight - just too many good shooters.

Are you signing these employees to multi million dollar contracts? I suspect not. The NBA gambles on these guys, and they loose a lot. Simply labeling a player as a NBA lottery pick doesn't make that player a good player. There are just WAY too many examples of BAD picks, so the "NBA guys that do it for a living" argument is not that great of an argument either.

Hey, Len may end up the next Bill Russell... and I have no ill feelings toward him at all, seems like a good kid so I wish him the best.

g-money
03-15-2013, 05:30 PM

I just call it like I see it. My assessment is that there was a little bit of home cooking from the refs in that game that I do not expect to see today. If that's Terping, so be it.

As a fan of the Turtle, I bet you can relate... but if you thought Cameron was bad, wait until you guys have lost 20 in a row at Wisconsin.

slower
03-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Anybody got any more smack talk they'd like to post?

dukelifer
03-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Anybody got any more smack talk they'd like to post?

Duke playing poorly and about to get in a big hole

Dr. Rosenrosen
Well that's a rather unpleasant start.

BlueDevilBrowns
If you could read K's lips going into the break, it pretty much sums up our performance so far.

davekay1971
03-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Apparently Maryland sucks so badly that our guys feel the need to spot them a 10 point edge

slower
03-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Seems like they have to at least give Sheed a chance to play some D on Wells.

Ah - ask and ye shall receive. :)

TKG
03-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Absolutely not ready to play.

Utley
03-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Changed my shirt already

slower
03-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Glad they are going to (hopefully) call those moving screens.

Dukeface88
03-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Changed my shirt already

Oh good, I was worried it was mine. It was gonna be awkward to change in the middle of class.

dukelifer
03-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Absolutely not ready to play.

Not making shots. That needs to change

BlueDevilBrowns
03-15-2013, 07:27 PM
3 point shooting the difference so far. I like Raheed's aggression going to the basket. Now if Curry and Cook would follow suit.

Utley
03-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Oh good, I was worried it was mine. It was gonna be awkward to change in the middle of class.

I'd have a reserve ready. My change helped some but not enough so far.

TKG
03-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Not making shots. That needs to change

I agree, but of more concern, to me, is our defense and some rather poor decision making with our passes.

slower
03-15-2013, 07:31 PM
3 point shooting the difference so far. I like Raheed's aggression going to the basket. Now if Curry and Cook would follow suit.

In Sheed we trust. Can we hook some electrodes to Josh and pull the switch every time he tries to shoot a jumper?

davekay1971
03-15-2013, 07:31 PM
When Rasheed plays as aggressively as this, he brings a driving/finishing dimension to our offense that is very dynamic and tough for other teams to handle. I love seeing this from him tonight.

Utley
03-15-2013, 07:32 PM
5 on 1 right now - thanks Sheed. Got to get Seth unleashed and Cook going. Somebody cover Wells.

dukelifer
03-15-2013, 07:32 PM
I agree, but of more concern, to me, is our defense and some rather poor decision making with our passes.

Wells is killing Duke

slower
03-15-2013, 07:33 PM
I've never seen anybody get more balls poked away from behind than Mason. Never.

Plus, Len may just school him again.

Utley
03-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Nightmare

dukelifer
03-15-2013, 07:35 PM
I've never seen anybody get more balls poked away from behind than Mason. Never.

Plus, Len may just school him again.

Big trouble folks - Duke is getting nothing from its seniors.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Not a lot of hustle or urgency right now. Wow.

RaiderDevil
03-15-2013, 07:36 PM
No hustle, no shots falling, not ready to play. This is getting Miami like

grossbus
03-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Getting nothing from anyone not named Rasheed.

Yikes.

They are running on us like crazy.

Chris Randolph
03-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Listening on the radio. Not surprised one bit. Can't get in too big of a hole at half. Second half will be better

BlueDevilBrowns
Bad offense is leading to bad transition defense right now.

KandG
Have always felt the season will come down to whether good or bad Quinn Cook shows up, even with Ryan Kelly back. Tonight, he is invisible. This kind of performance guarantees the season ends next weekend.

Utley
03-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Have always felt the season will come down to whether good or bad Quinn Cook shows up, even with Ryan Kelly back. Tonight, he is invisible. This kind of performance guarantees the season ends next weekend.

Totally agree

Tucknut
03-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Way too soon to panic. We've seen this before.

slower
03-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Maryland is just playing very well. If they can maintain it, they probably get the W. It's a question of them overcoming attrition.

DukieInBrasil
03-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Curry, Kelly and Plumlee have all been no shows. Cook has done nothing of value. Really, the only guy that has produced any value is Rasheed.
No 3s, very poor FG%, not turning MD over, we're turning the ball over alot.

Kelly with a nice and-1 play. Maybe that'll get us going?

azzefkram
03-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Poor spacing on O, pounding the air out of the ball. Oh and guarding Wells might be helpful.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Cook just can't initiate the offense.

Les Grossman
03-15-2013, 07:46 PM
stone cold

slower
Live by the 3, die by the 3. Ryan and Seth giving us NOTHING.

And nice of Mason to take it to the hole like a MAN. Get the bucket or the foul, man - it ain't brain surgery.

Having said all that, I think we're "okay" if we keep it within 10 at the half. But if Wells keeps it up, it might just be one of those games. Terps seem well-prepared - gotta give them credit.

DukieInBrasil
Wells is just destroying Kelly, and Kelly is giving Duke almost nothing on O, although we're not usually getting him the ball with good space. Although he did just brick that wide-open fast-break 3.
Good move to put TT on Wells rather than Kelly.

TKG
It's the ACC Tournament for goodness sakes. How can you not come ready to play? Where is our pride? Where is our oh-so-valuable-for-college-basketball senior leadership?

davekay1971
So this is what it looks like when our top 4 players all have an off night at the same time. Hopefully they get mentally readjusted soon.

Gthoma2a
Enough threes for a while!

Utley
03-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Gotta get Seth going too here. O just totally out of sync.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Cook just can't initiate the offense.

Yeah, I wonder what putting Rasheed at the point with Curry, Amile, Kelly, and MP2 would look like?

Probably not very good but I'm still curious.

TKG
03-15-2013, 07:51 PM
We need to cut this deficit to 5 points or fewer by halftime.

DukieInBrasil
03-15-2013, 07:51 PM
can we defend the 3 tonight? that might decide the game. That and the fact that we can't make em for snot.

KandG
03-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Simply did not come ready to play...everything is slow and labored or rushed and frenetic. Understandable that they're not quite as crisp as Maryland who played yesterday, but they need to wake up in the 2nd half.

slower
03-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Mason stripped at the buzzer - somehow, that seems perfect. Unbelievable, just - wow.

Still, we're down 8. This is doable.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Wow maybe our worst half of the year.

davekay1971

Without a doubt.

Les Grossman
ugh... well?
any other games of interest tonight?

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2013, 07:54 PM
can we defend the 3 tonight? that might decide the game. That and the fact that we can't make em for snot.
Only if someone decides to step out on the shooter. We're applying no pressure on their shooters.

uh_no

did you watch the first miami game? or the ohio state game? or the first UNC game?

we've played some pretty bad halves of basketball....and though this wasn't pretty, it was far from our worst

DukieInBrasil
@ Miami redux here. Only difference is that MD is not as talented on offense as Miami nor as smart withe ball. Plumlee, Kelly and Curry need to wake the frack up. Cook is also not providing very much value. We're lucky to only be down 8 at half. We could easily be down 25 if MD wasn't so careless.

dukelifer
Simply did not come ready to play...everything is slow and labored or rushed and frenetic. Understandable that they're not quite as crisp as Maryland who played yesterday, but they need to wake up in the 2nd half.

Maryland is playing harder and making threes. Duke is going to have to play much better and right from the get go.

sagegrouse
03-15-2013, 07:55 PM
@ Miami redux here. Only difference is that MD is not as talented on offense as Miami nor as smart withe ball. Plumlee, Kelly and Curry need to wake the frack up. Cook is also not providing very much value. We're luck to only be down 8 at half. We could easily be down 25 if MD wasn't so careless.

Or if Rasheed wasn't hot. Mason has made some good plays. I am waiting for Curry, Kelly and Cook to show up. -- sagegrouse

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2013, 07:56 PM
did you watch the first miami game? or the ohio state game? or the first UNC game?

we've played some pretty bad halves of basketball....and though this wasn't pretty, it was far from our worst
Unfortunately I did see all of those. When it's this bad, there no more shades of bad. It's as bad as it gets.

TKG
03-15-2013, 07:56 PM

We have demonstrated in a number of games that we struggle with our on-the-ball defense; especially on the perimeter. We have decided to let them have the three rather than risk the blow by. It's just not working so far.

TKG
03-15-2013, 07:57 PM
ugh... well?
any other games of interest tonight?

Flyers and Devils......

Utley
03-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Got to get our O in rhythm and hope Md shooting returns to the mean. Had to be the Terp's best shooting half of the year. How many quality shots did we take?

moonpie23
gotta get Seth and Ryan involved. gotta get Seth and Ryan involved. gotta get Seth and Ryan involved. gotta get Seth and Ryan involved. gotta get Seth and Ryan involved. gotta get Seth and Ryan involved.

Dr. Rosenrosen
We have demonstrated in a number of games that we struggle with our on-the-ball defense; especially on the perimeter. We have decided to let them have the three rather than risk the blow by. It's just not working so far.
It's not the risk of a blow by. They are using screens well and we are not stepping out on help D. Not even a little. And they are getting wide open looks as a result.

Hancock 4 Duke
03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
gotta get Seth and Ryan involved. gotta get Seth and Ryan involved. gotta get Seth and Ryan involved. gotta get Seth and Ryan involved. gotta get Seth and Ryan involved. gotta get Seth and Ryan involved.

Eh, I don't think that's what we really need to do. I, for one, really think we need to get Seth and Ryan involved.

pamtar
03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Kelly is shooting like he did at the start of the year. Hopefully he picks it up in the second half. Surprisingly, Sulaimon is playing better than everyone. Has Seth even scored?

IBleedBlue
03-15-2013, 08:01 PM
We lose this game, we would be giving up #1 seed outright...

dyedwab
03-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Kelly is shooting like he did at the start of the year. Hopefully he picks it up in the second half. Surprisingly, Sulaimon is playing better than everyone. Has Seth even scored?

Didn't watch the first half, but I have a hard time imagining how bad it was. Since I just heard that Rasheed is the only one in double figures, I'll assume that Mason didn't come out a house afire because of his game in College Park.

Gthoma2a
03-15-2013, 08:03 PM

No. We're on pace for two players in double figures. Let's hope we change that with a quick start the the 2nd half!

10% from 3... How in the world?

jv001
03-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Someone needs to step up and guard Wells one on one. Plus we need to stop him on the outlet pass as he's a one man fast break. As Coach Collins said at the end of the half, we're a step slow. No reason for that. Just a matter of effort. GoDuke!

jv001
03-15-2013, 08:05 PM
No. We're on pace for two players in double figures. Let's hope we change that with a quick start the the 2nd half!

10% from 3... How in the world?

Maybe we should have come over to Gbo and practiced. GoDuke!

slower
03-15-2013, 08:08 PM
We lose this game, we would be giving up #1 seed outright...

And unless he steps it up, Mason may just play himself off of 1st-Team All-America status (if he hasn't already).

BlueandWhite
03-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Someone needs to step up and guard Wells one on one. Plus we need to stop him on the outlet pass as he's a one man fast break. As Coach Collins said at the end of the half, we're a step slow. No reason for that. Just a matter of effort. GoDuke!

Defense is the answer. Coach K is reading the team the riot act in the locker room. Also, how can we win when Seth Curry doesn't score?

hsheffield
03-15-2013, 08:11 PM
looks to me like we're missing our switches on D again and again...

slower
03-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Where's Sheed?? Not starting the half? WTF?

Zephyrius
03-15-2013, 08:13 PM
nice way to open up your scoring curry

Les Grossman
03-15-2013, 08:15 PM
here comes Seth!

slower
03-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Seth! Maryland fans currently experiencing tightening sphincters.

Les Grossman
03-15-2013, 08:16 PM
despite everything, only down 4

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2013, 08:16 PM
We have a pulse. Keep it up guys!

BlueDevilBrowns
03-15-2013, 08:17 PM
We've got to get the lead in the next few minutes and put some game pressure on Md. We may not be able to completely stop them but we're close enough now to where we can outscore them the rest of the way.

uh_no
03-15-2013, 08:17 PM
looks to me like we're missing our switches on D again and again...

yes. i saw the same thing

we go for the double team and then the whole team looks lost...and someone ends up wide open even several seconds after the double...we can't figure out how to find the right man again

Utley
03-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Ted getting extra possessions every time we cut it close

BlueDevilBrowns
03-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Perhaps we shouldn't double Len every time and make him beat our AA center straight up.

Let's give Mason some confidence on D.

uh_no
03-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Perhaps we shouldn't double Len every time and make him beat our AA center straight up.

Let's give Mason some confidence on D.

i'm not liking the help coming from the PG...leaving the shooter wide open....i think mason is doing a fine job down there....

Utley
03-15-2013, 08:22 PM
I think this is a key moment. Got to catch them here

pamtar
03-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Areed, no need to double Len here.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Mason, just weak and lame move sir.

RaiderDevil
03-15-2013, 08:24 PM
No contact foul!!!

dukelifer
03-15-2013, 08:28 PM
I think this is a key moment. Got to catch them here

Ryan needs to play closer to the basket

davekay1971
03-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Duke must be playing better if Turgeon and the terps are terping!

HoganLake
03-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Was that a make up call for a make up call?

pamtar
03-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Did Mason's shot count?

rifraf
03-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Watching in a bar so hard to see, does it feel like they're getting away with a lot more contact than we are? Not that the calls are bad just uneven..

uh_no
03-15-2013, 08:35 PM
I just don't see what josh brings that Amile couldn't

weight is the first thing that comes to mind....i imagine amile getting abused by these 230 lb maryland guys

experience too

azzefkram
03-15-2013, 08:38 PM
weight is the first thing that comes to mind....i imagine amile getting abused by these 230 lb maryland guys

experience too

That has equated to no rebounds or points to go with a few fouls

slower
03-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Mason. Some of the WORST hands I've ever seen. Sigh

rsvman
03-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Anybody besides me wonder how amazing Sulaimon would be if be were about 3 inches taller?

Les Grossman
03-15-2013, 08:41 PM
way too many open shots for the Derps

slower
And we're not really getting out-bulked tonight, but out-hustled. Would MUCH rather have Amile out there.

TKG
In the immortal words of Dandy Don Meredith, " Turn out the lights. The party's over."

rsvman
03-15-2013, 08:42 PM
For a while it looked like we were going to come back and beat them but right now things are going the wrong way. Still not defending the 3

BlueDevilBrowns
03-15-2013, 08:42 PM
OK, I'm gonna pull a Billy Packer, this game is ova!

I know that's stupid to say this early but 25 years of Duke basketball tells me it aint happening tonight.

At least we'll have plenty of rest for next week.

slower
03-15-2013, 08:43 PM
I thought that we'd be okay if we pulled even with them. Not so sure now.

This game does not bode well for surviving a one-and-done NCAA tournament.

rsvman
03-15-2013, 08:43 PM
We can't make a shot!

dukelifer
03-15-2013, 08:44 PM

I know that's stupid to say this early but 25 years of Duke basketball tells me it aint happening tonight.

Will take a bunch of threes or Maryland getting tight. Right now Maryland is making every play.

SCMatt33
03-15-2013, 08:45 PM
2-16 from 3. How many times have we seen this over the years. Against a tournament team, we'd be getting blown out.

Furniture
Have faith guys...

Les Grossman
what a mystery this team can be

arnie
30 more lbs?

30 more pounds to slow him down and keep him from jumping. Check his rebounds at end of game. Probably be the same number you and I have combined

DukieInBrasil
Terrible 3pt shooting by everyone. Their guards are just destroying us, none of Cook, Curry, Thornton or Sulaimon are even remotely a) staying with their man therefore allowing wide-open 3s or b) keeping their man from driving the lane to assist easy baskets around the rim. The worst of all possible defensive strategies. I know K did strategize for them to play that way, but that's the way they're playing. It's amazing that we are still within striking distance.

dukelifer
Anybody besides me wonder how amazing Sulaimon would be if be were about 3 inches taller?

We would be watching his last few games.

Utley
Need twerps to go ice cold here

Philadukie
Wow, I'm litterally sick in my stomach.

If you need help filling out your brackets: no Duke team in the K era that's lost in the first round of the ACC tourney has even gone to the sweet 16. Yuck.

RaiderDevil
03-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Didn't show up. I don't understand how they can have so little passion. Outhustled every play

BlueDevilBrowns
03-15-2013, 08:46 PM
We can't make a shot!

Yep. When Cook misses a wide open 3 from the top, it just isnt our night tonight. Perhaps this will regain our focus

and TT just bricks another.

SCMatt33
03-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Why won't Mason try to block a shot?

Chris Randolph
Amazing to think this team will not win a championship (acc, acct, NCAA) this year. Wow. We drank our own kool aid after the talk of being the best team with Ryan back, 18-0, crushed unc lallalalalalala

azzefkram
Brick 3 and a foul

pamtar
We've given up. This is poor performance and poor execution. I can't believe we didn't bring it tonight...

slower
03-15-2013, 08:48 PM

The door is definitely closing.

HoganLake
Great defense followed by another brick

Dr. Rosenrosen
Rare to see us give up. But right now we are.

JetpackJesus
and put a lid on the basket.

*sigh*

BlueDevilBrowns
Wow, I'm litterally sick in my stomach.

If you need help filling out your brackets: no Duke team in the K era that's lost in the first round of the ACC tourney has even gone to the sweet 16. Yuck.

1994 Duke?

arnie

Bodes for a quick exit next week

dukefriar
03-15-2013, 08:49 PM
I am calling the comeback right now.

77devil
2-19 from 3 kind of says it all.

rtnorthrup
time for us to start hoisting up panic threes. We cannot get a defensive stop.

Duke used to stand for defense. Not tonight.

DukieInBrasil
well, i hope this game wakes the boys up. They can't bring this pathetic level of effort/execution to the NCAAT and expect to not have a repeat of last year.

grossbus
My weekend is clearing up.

KandG
Time to start worrying whether another Lehigh is coming next weekend.

DevilYouthCoach
03-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Yep. When Cook misses a wide open 3 from the top, it just isnt our night tonight. Perhaps this will regain our focus

and TT just bricks another.

We don't know how to want it every night. Impossible to explain......

DukieInBrasil
03-15-2013, 08:50 PM
time for us to start hoisting up panic threes. We cannot get a defensive stop.

Duke used to stand for defense. Not tonight.

Duke hasn't stood for defense in a long time.

Philadukie
03-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Overconfident, lazy, sloppy. Terrible. Not even close to the #1 team.

What a weird season. One of the weirdest ever. Would be much easier to deal with if we didn't look like contenders earlier.

Would rather know we're not that good and have appropriate expectations for the post season.

Instead, I feel like I went to bed with a supermodel only to find out she's a total dog in the morning.

slower
03-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Might as well make it a free-throw shooting contest. Nothing else seems to be working.

SCMatt33
Now you have to wonder how much Duke has left in the tank. Two of their guys are hurt. Hairston barely adds any value, and their only playing 7 guys, which means that Jefferson hasn't shown anything on defense in practice. I can't imagine if something doesn't change, these guys can play 40 minutes a night without wearing down in the last ten minutes of games.

KandG
Overconfident, lazy, sloppy. Terrible. Not even close to the #1 team.

I feel like I went to bed with a supermodel only to find out she's a total dog in the morning.

This says it all.

rsvman
03-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Game isnt necessarily over just yet

azzefkram
03-15-2013, 08:53 PM
It still can happen. Need to finally hit some threes and lock down on D

pamtar
03-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Quinn plays a lot better when he stops thinking

BlueDevilBrowns
03-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Cook, where have you been?

Coballs
03-15-2013, 08:55 PM
I was fired up for the season tie-breaker against Maryland. Too bad our players weren't.

Udaman
03-15-2013, 08:56 PM
No team has ever lost in the quarterfinals of their tournament and gone on to win the title. Ever. Only one team has done it and even made the final four.

dukelifer
03-15-2013, 08:57 PM
No team has ever lost in the quarterfinals of their tournament and gone on to win the title. Ever. Only one team has done it and even made the final four.

Yep and there is always a first time.

House G
03-15-2013, 08:58 PM

So you're telling me there's a chance?

rsvman
03-15-2013, 08:58 PM
It's all about making shots.
We hit even 30 percent of our threes and we're winning right now.
And it's not like we have t had our share of good open looks. Lay bricks all night long and you're gonna lose

BlueDevilBrowns
03-15-2013, 08:59 PM
It still can happen. Need to finally hit some threes and lock down on D

This years team is good, but they don't have a "lockdown D" mode this year.

Either they start out playing great D or it isn't there that particular game.

rsvman
03-15-2013, 09:00 PM
And when was the last time Maryland made 66 percent of its threes?

pamtar
03-15-2013, 09:01 PM
wow. just wow.

TKG
What's the over/under on the number of posts in the Post Game thread before the dreaded NP phrase is used?

slower
Plumlee hands - for the Loss. Un-freaking-believable.

DukieInBrasil
03-15-2013, 09:02 PM
What happened to Cook's ability to assist scores? He was brilliant at it earlier this year, but has been quite inept at it lately. In the last 10 games he's had as many as 5 assists twice and 6 once. Tonight: 1. Doesn't help that Duke is shooting brick city.
Still a sliver of hope yet in this game even though Duke has allowed MD to shot 62% FG in the 2nd half.

Les Grossman
awful D

rsvman
Block out!!!!!

BlueDevilBrowns
Plumlee's hands! Plumlee's D!

azzefkram
03-15-2013, 09:03 PM
I have no idea what Mason was thinking there

pamtar
Plumlee is playing his arse off against a NBA first rounder. This game is not his fault.

rtnorthrup
I never saw this coming tonight. Never thought we would come out with no intensity. Never thought we would play so poorly on defense. Just stunned by this.

azzefkram
03-15-2013, 09:04 PM
This years team is good, but they don't have a "lockdown D" mode this year.

Either they start out playing great D or it isn't there that particular game.

Unfortunately I think you are right

JetpackJesus
I have no idea what Mason was thinking there

He's coming right at us!!!

pamtar
Why is TT taking that shot? there is plenty of time. RESET

g-money
03-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Anybody else here ready for a miracle minute? Come on Duke!!!

BlueDevilBrowns
TT instead of Kelly when you need offense? Hmmmmm...

loran16
I'm confused. You're down 3 possessions. You need offense. WHY IS TYLER THORNTON ON THE FLOOR INSTEAD OF RYAN KELLY?!

azzefkram
Plumlee is playing his arse off against a NBA first rounder. This game is not his fault.

Completely agree

rsvman
Thornton on two consecutive trips? Really?

slower

Well, he has 4 of our 6 turnovers, so it's partly his fault. So, no, it's not MAINLY his fault. But he does have terrible hands, as far as his ability to hold on to the ball.

Les Grossman
03-15-2013, 09:06 PM
wrong guy shooting....again

TKG
03-15-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm confused. You're down 3 possessions. You need offense. WHY IS TYLER THORNTON ON THE FLOOR INSTEAD OF RYAN KELLY?!

Are we going to find out that Ryan re-injured this foot?

Furniture
03-15-2013, 09:07 PM
TT instead of Kelly when you need offense? Hmmmmm...

My thoughts exactly!

Gthoma2a
03-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Why do we keep giving Tyler Thornton the green light here? I don't care if he is wide open... there is a reason... It isn't his night.

Atlanta Duke
03-15-2013, 09:08 PM

That would be the cherry on the sundae for this evening

Bob Green
The inability to get stops on defense is the story of the game.

grossbus
Wish Murphy were out there shooting instead of Thornton.

BlueDevilBrowns
Unless Kelly is hurt, I just don't get it.

mr. synellinden
wrong guy shooting....again

I'm repeating others but why is Kelly on the bench?

Anyone have an explanation?

Furniture

Now he's on????

loran16
03-15-2013, 09:09 PM

Well he just came back in, which would be extremely stupid if that was the case, so I'm going to guess no.

Gthoma2a

We wanted a reminder what that was like? It is post season and we wanted to see if we could better than last season without him?

gocanes0506
Pathetic shooting. Doesnt give much hope for us in the tourney. We havent done well recently when bounced in the opening game of the acc tourney.

JetpackJesus
03-15-2013, 09:10 PM

Maybe he was just too gassed to contribute meaningfully so K kept him on the bench longer than he would have liked.

BD80
Ryan and Seth will get some extra rest for the tourney ...

pamtar
Well, he has 4 of our 6 turnovers, so it's partly his fault. So, no, it's not MAINLY his fault. But he does have terrible hands.

Agreed about his hands - at times. However, this isn't a possession game. It's an intensity, or lack thereof, game. Mason and Sheed brought it, no one else did.

captmojo
03-15-2013, 09:11 PM
That in-bounds took 4.95 seconds

trinity79
anyone? Buehler? Well at least Thornton has fouled out and can do no more harm.

dukelifer
Pathetic shooting. Doesnt give much hope for us in the tourney. We havent done well recently when bounced in the opening game of the acc tourney.

Isn't that true for any team? Sometimes you do not shoot well. Duke did not tonight.

rsvman
03-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Now Cook can shoot?

pamtar
03-15-2013, 09:14 PM
A joke of a game by our guys. Thank god i didn't pay $350x2 for this crap...

dyedwab
Isn't that true for any team? Sometimes you do not shoot well. Duke did not tonight.

We were beaten to loose balls all night. That has nothing to do with bad shooting

hudlow
ABC!!!!!