PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Thornton isn't on Seth Davis' All Glue Guy Team?

scottdude8
03-14-2013, 04:32 PM
What a joke.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130314/hoop-thoughts/?sct=hp_t11_a2&eref=sihp#all

Ichabod Drain
03-14-2013, 04:37 PM
What a joke.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130314/hoop-thoughts/?sct=hp_t11_a2&eref=sihp#all

He got Honorable Mention

CDu
03-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Well, look at the list. Almost all of the guys on it are guys who have accumulated plenty of stats (i.e., not so much glue guys at all). Only one guy (Hart) actually seems like a true "glue" guy.

I mean, Kyle Anderson? Really?

I think the list is just poorly described. Or, perhaps more accurately, Davis just does a poor job of actually staying with the concept of a glue guy.

Kedsy
03-14-2013, 04:43 PM
What a joke.

Well, for one thing, Tyler's only started 4 games this season. The other guys mostly start, I think.

But even if that weren't true, why is it a "joke" every time a Duke player gets left off a list? It's not like there are any hard and fast requirements to be a "glue guy." I'm sure there are plenty of players who bring to their teams what Tyler brings to Duke. How can you be so certain that Tyler is among the top five?

CDu
03-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Well, for one thing, Tyler's only started 4 games this season. The other guys mostly start, I think.

But even if that weren't true, why is it a "joke" every time a Duke player gets left off a list? It's not like there are any hard and fast requirements to be a "glue guy." I'm sure there are plenty of players who bring to their teams what Tyler brings to Duke. How can you be so certain that Tyler is among the top five?

That's totally fair. I'm sure there are lots of really deserving and defensible options as a glue guy besides Thornton (who is himself a terrific glue guy). That being said, I feel like Kyle Anderson is a real stretch of the concept of a glue guy.

Kedsy
03-14-2013, 05:07 PM
That's totally fair. I'm sure there are lots of really deserving and defensible options as a glue guy besides Thornton (who is himself a terrific glue guy). That being said, I feel like Kyle Anderson is a real stretch of the concept of a glue guy.

Yeah, I was surprised to see Anderson on the list too. I suppose Davis is just trying to make the point that Anderson sacrificed his own desires and stats (to an extent) for the team. He's equating being a good teammate to being a glue guy.

CDu
03-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I was surprised to see Anderson on the list too. I suppose Davis is just trying to make the point that Anderson sacrificed his own desires and stats (to an extent) for the team. He's equating being a good teammate to being a glue guy.

Yeah, although if we extend the "glue guy" definition to "good teammate" then there are lots of stars that would qualify too.

Not disagreeing with you - just Davis.