PDA

View Full Version : ACC Men's Tournament Discussion (Miami is ACC Champion)

MChambers
03-14-2013, 12:27 PM
I guess this proves Al Featherstone's point: no thread about the tournament yet? GT is putting a hurting on BC early.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
No teevee for a lot of us (espnU for now).

Usually we run these as individual game threads. This may get unwieldy especially once we start playing. We'll go with this for now.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2013, 12:30 PM
I guess this proves Al Featherstone's point: no thread about the tournament yet? GT is putting a hurting on BC early.

Thank goodness for the games. I'm sick and tired of discussion about seeding, necessary NBA players for winning a championship, LeBron v. Jordan, Adidas uniforms, crappy commentators, hated players....

This is March Madness people! Let's break down some basketball.

Tech up early on BC 20-11 in the fight to see who can take on Miami. I'm inclined to root for BC, since they have shown more flashes of competence and would have a better chance of putting a little wear and tear on Miami in the next round. Anyone else got better reasoning for Duke rooting interests?

Go Duke!

Bob Green
03-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Usually we run these as individual game threads. This may get unwieldy especially once we start playing. We'll go with this for now.

We will still have two individual threads (pre/in and post) for each Duke game. This thread is equivalent to the This Week in the ACC thread pfrduke runs each week. Great idea!

MChambers
03-14-2013, 12:33 PM
We will still have two individual threads (pre/in and post) for each Duke game. This thread is equivalent to the This Week in the ACC thread pfrduke runs each week. Great idea!

Looks like I may have started a moderator battle! ;-)

I'm agnostic as to whether each game should have it's own thread, of course, but I was surprised not to see anything.

Bob Green
03-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Looks like I may have started a moderator battle! ;-)

Nope, we never battle. Moderators calmly discuss in Utopia. :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
03-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Nope, we never battle. Moderators calmly discuss in Utopia. :rolleyes:

I kinda picture a faculty lounge, with lots of drinking and cursing behind everyone else's back.

gumbomoop
03-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Well, one thing I've noticed is that Steve Donahue gives BC an extra defender. He coaches with both feet on the court most of the time, including when the ball is fairly close to him. A little odd. Even the ref running the sideline has to avoid him.

MChambers
03-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Well, one thing I've noticed is that Steve Donahue gives BC an extra defender. He coaches with both feet on the court most of the time, including when the ball is fairly close to him. A little odd. Even the ref running the sideline has to avoid him.

After spotting the Jackets a 15-0 lead, BC leads by 5 at halftime. Wow.

Bob Green
03-14-2013, 01:09 PM
After spotting the Jackets a 15-0 lead, BC leads by 5 at halftime. Wow.

Freshman Olivier Hanlan with 21 points at the half for the Eagles.

ChillinDuke
03-14-2013, 01:20 PM

Make that 29 of the team's 49 with 15:30 to play!

- Chillin

loran16
03-14-2013, 01:30 PM

he's pretty good.

BC under Donahue:

Year 1: #68 Pomeroy, 23rd most experienced team in the Nation
Year 2: #259 Pomeroy, 344th most experienced team in the Nation (out of 345, with only St. Johns having less experience)
Year 3: #105 Pomeroy, 341st most experienced team in the Nation (out of 347)

They're going to be a decent team next year when they finally can play a junior for significant minutes.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2013, 01:30 PM
I kinda picture a faculty lounge, with lots of drinking and cursing behind everyone else's back.

Throw in unicorns jumping over rainbows and you're close.

94duke
03-14-2013, 01:58 PM
And Hanlan breaks The Black Pigeon's Freshman ACC tourney single-game scoring record. :)

CharlestonDevil
03-14-2013, 02:09 PM
And Hanlan breaks The Black Pigeon's Freshman ACC tourney single-game scoring record. :)

Excellent. Wonderful.

Here's to hoping Sulaimon breaks Hanlan's record.

dukelifer
03-14-2013, 02:26 PM

Did not see the game but that is an impressive point number and 8-10 from 3! Wow. That kid is going to be a handful moving forward, A few more games like this and he might make a few GMS take notice.

wilson
03-14-2013, 02:39 PM
...propelling BC into the quarters vs. Miami.
Hanlan's 41 points are an ACC Tournament record for a freshman. Anything that erases Harrison Barnes' name from the record book is alright by me.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330730103

wilson
03-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Oops...no dedicated thread needed. Mods, delete or move as you see fit.

ChillinDuke
03-14-2013, 02:40 PM
No chance NC State bubbles, right? Even if they cough this one up to Va Tech?

It's early but Tech leads by 2.

- Chillin

Bluedog
03-14-2013, 02:41 PM
...propelling BC into the quarters vs. Miami.
Hanlan's 41 points are an ACC Tournament record for a freshman. Anything that erases Harrison Barnes' name from the record book is alright by me.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330730103

Not only were they an ACC tournament record for a freshman, 41 points is now the record in any ACC game. Barnes' 40 was the record previously (which also happened to occur during the tournament).

roywhite
03-14-2013, 02:41 PM
14-18 from the field, including 8-10 from 3-pt....wow.

didn't see the game; anyone care to describe his performance and how a normally half-decent Ga Tech defense failed to stop him?

TKG
03-14-2013, 02:42 PM
quesque c'est Harrison Barnes?

wilson
03-14-2013, 02:43 PM
quesque c'est Harrison Barnes?Qu'est-ce que c'est, "quesque" c'est?

moonpie23
03-14-2013, 02:52 PM
ha.,,,,HWNSNBM takes a step back...

TKG
03-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Qu'est-ce que c'est, "quesque" c'est?

Hey, I took Latin. I was a French major for one keg party during my four years in the Gothic Wonderland. Now you know why.

FerryFor50
03-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Now watch him lay an egg against Miami. grr

Bob Green
03-14-2013, 03:32 PM
No chance NC State bubbles, right? Even if they cough this one up to Va Tech?

It's early but Tech leads by 2.

- Chillin

I just got home from work so I didn't see the 1st half but per the box score State should be okay. Richard Howell (14 points/3 rebounds), C.J. Leslie (9 points/5 rebounds) and Lorenzo Brown (6 assists/0 turnovers) are all playing good. Green and Eddie will not be able to keep pace in the 2nd half playing two on five.

CDu
03-14-2013, 03:37 PM
I just got home from work so I didn't see the 1st half but per the box score State should be okay. Richard Howell (14 points/3 rebounds), C.J. Leslie (9 points/5 rebounds) and Lorenzo Brown (6 assists/0 turnovers) are all playing good. Green and Eddie will not be able to keep pace in the 2nd half playing two on five.

Yeah, State (read: Leslie) seem to get focused for the big games. I will not be surprised if they win today, tomorrow, and upset Miami on Saturday.

Of course, I could also see them winning today and then looking past UVa tomorrow. You just never know with State.

loran16
03-14-2013, 03:45 PM

Err, shouldn't our Psycho Killer references be to Hansbrough, not Barnes?

OldPhiKap
03-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Err, shouldn't our Psycho Killer references be to Hansbrough, not Barnes?

F - Fuh - F -Fah, Fuh - Fuh - F - Fuh -Fuh - Feh.

I say that to both of them. And fart in their general direction.

(Okay, mixing late '70's references).

State would do itself a lot of favors by winning today. Up by 14, 7 1/2 or so to go.

tele
03-14-2013, 06:32 PM

qui semblent exprimer la même idée

wilson
03-14-2013, 06:52 PM
qui semblent exprimer la même idéeOui, mais quant au grammaire et à tout autre, à l'oeuvre, on connaît l'artisan.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Oui, mais quant au grammaire et à tout autre, à l'oeuvre, on connaît l'artisan.

Ndiyo, lakini juu ya sarufi na kila kitu kingine, kazini, tunajua fundi, for our UNC friends.

throatybeard
03-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Throw in unicorns jumping over rainbows and you're close.

A scantily-clad Erin Andrews fans us with palm fronds. I've said too much.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Well, Maryland up 10 with about 2 minutes. I Have to think Duke's licking their chops right now.

davekay1971
03-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Wake Forest has now rolled over to play dead for Maryland, giving Duke the chance to smack around the turtles one more time in the ACC Tournament, just for old times sake.

I was hoping Wake would win this. I want Maryland to have no glory, no chance for glory. Too bad. I hope our guys pound them mercilessly tomorrow.

drcharl
03-14-2013, 09:13 PM
We can send them off to their new conference in style. I don"t like them holding the last victory over Duke.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Wake Forest has now rolled over to play dead for Maryland, giving Duke the chance to smack around the turtles one more time in the ACC Tournament, just for old times sake.

I was hoping Wake would win this. I want Maryland to have no glory, no chance for glory. Too bad. I hope our guys pound them mercilessly tomorrow.

Now I'm not one to predict grandiose outcomes before a game is played but I would be absolutely shocked if we didn't win by at least 17 tomorrow.

I think K and co. would love nothing more than to humiliate the Terps mercilessly!

OldPhiKap
03-14-2013, 09:19 PM

The only thing better than Md losing in the first round, is us pounding the ever-loving sand out of those lying cheating scheming thieving weasel-buggers.

Not that I am emotionally invested or anything.

Flee you Twerps!

BlueDevilBrowns
03-14-2013, 09:37 PM
OK, so who would make the better opponent for UNC tomorrow, FSU or Clemson? I'm thinking FSU if for no other reason than the Snaer factor.

NDMD
03-14-2013, 10:10 PM
The only thing better than Md losing in the first round, is us pounding the ever-loving sand out of those lying cheating scheming thieving weasel-buggers.

Not that I am emotionally invested or anything.

Flee you Twerps!

Just remember...........

We're not your rivals.

FerryFor50
03-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Just remember...........

We're not your rivals.

You're not. Doesn't make beating you any less satisfying, though.

timmy c
03-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Just remember...........

We're not your rivals.

On this, we are in total agreement. Blessings finding a rival on your journey to the BIG.

JBDuke
03-14-2013, 10:24 PM
OK, so who would make the better opponent for UNC tomorrow, FSU or Clemson? I'm thinking FSU if for no other reason than the Snaer factor.

Oh, wouldn't it be a thing of beauty for Snaer to pull another one out of the hat and send the Carolina faithful home in despair with a buzzer-beating three pointer. After Austin's effort last year, it would be devastating. Heh. :D

FerryFor50
03-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Oh, wouldn't it be a thing of beauty for Snaer to pull another one out of the hat and send the Carolina faithful home in despair with a buzzer-beating three pointer. After Austin's effort last year, it would be devastating. Heh. :D

They'd have to go into therapy.

timmy c
03-14-2013, 10:28 PM

That would be great. But he might need to use more of that magic today. FSU down 6 with 2 minutes left in the 1st half against Clemson.

davekay1971
03-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Just remember...........

We're not your rivals.

I know this is a tough concept for Maryland fans, but just because your fan base is vile enough to be worth hating, that does NOT make your team good enough to be our rivals.

Any rational look at Duke and Maryland shows essentially continuous domination of Maryland by Duke for nearly 3 decades. To be our rivals, you need to make it a little competitive. Maryland hasn't. 2 years of success in the last 20+ years doesn't cut it. Since Lefty left, over 20 years ago, compared to Duke, you guys have sucked.

But your fan base HAS led the ACC in most resembling a pack of petulant juvenile delinquents, so you have got that to go with.

Have fun being irrelevant in the Big 1? Good bye, good luck, and good riddance.

gofurman
03-14-2013, 10:37 PM
he's pretty good.

BC under Donahue:

Year 1: #68 Pomeroy, 23rd most experienced team in the Nation
Year 2: #259 Pomeroy, 344th most experienced team in the Nation (out of 345, with only St. Johns having less experience)
Year 3: #105 Pomeroy, 341st most experienced team in the Nation (out of 347)

They're going to be a decent team next year when they finally can play a junior for significant minutes.

Right on. BC has to be about the only team I know of where all of the starting seven return for the next two years! Well basically. They have one junior getting a few minutes. Still they will be decent next year with everyone retuning in the same system and Anderson and Hanlan as soph and fresh respectively this year. They could be quite respectable in a year or two. I almost wonder if Donahue played it this way as he knew he gets a few years of no pressure so start all freshman and know they will be good in two or three years when the fan base expects something

Either way I would put eagles in middle of acc pre-season next year. Well not counting the addition of the three new teams who are very good. Just think if we had Pitt , ND , and Syracuse now the acc would have maybe 8 teams headed to ncaat

NDMD
03-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Good bye, good luck, and good riddance.

Gee, Dave. Is that anyway to treat a charter member of the ACC?

FerryFor50
03-14-2013, 10:41 PM

When they bolt for $$, yes.

wilson
03-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Gee, Dave. Is that anyway to treat a charter member of the ACC?You tell us, since your school has just done it 6 times over...

rsvman
03-14-2013, 11:46 PM
That would be great. But he might need to use more of that magic today. FSU down 6 with 2 minutes left in the 1st half against Clemson.
Worked out OK. It turned into the Okaro White show.

roywhite
03-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Now in 60 years of ACC Tournament competition, Clemson has a TOTAL of 17 wins.

They are slightly ahead of rival South Carolina, which has 13 total, but left the conference in 1971.

Jbsherr DUKE!
03-14-2013, 11:55 PM
Did anybody notice the halftime interview in the Clemson vs Florida St. game. Janene Edwards from ESPN was interviewing North Carolina's assistant coach C.B.McGrath about the game and what he felt was important for each team to do considering the winner plays UNC. He said coach Parnell has done a good job getting Clemson in the position they are in considering they are only down one point at the half. Wait a minute but Parnell has been gone at least a year or two. I know it's no big deal but Duke had four coaches scouting the Maryland and Wake game and I can't imagine none of them mispronouncing the apposing coaches name.
GTHC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TruBlu
03-15-2013, 06:42 AM
I know this is a tough concept for Maryland fans, but just because your fan base is vile enough to be worth hating, that does NOT make your team good enough to be our rivals.

Any rational look at Duke and Maryland shows essentially continuous domination of Maryland by Duke for nearly 3 decades. To be our rivals, you need to make it a little competitive. Maryland hasn't. 2 years of success in the last 20+ years doesn't cut it. Since Lefty left, over 20 years ago, compared to Duke, you guys have sucked.

But your fan base HAS led the ACC in most resembling a pack of petulant juvenile delinquents, so you have got that to go with.

Have fun being irrelevant in the Big 1? Good bye, good luck, and good riddance.

Well stated. Could not spork you again so soon.

Bob Green
03-15-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm looking forward to the State vs Virginia game this afternoon. It has the potential to be a really good game. In the teams lone meeting during the regular season, Virginia won a close one 58-55 by finishing the game on a 13-6 run. This is the game in which Lorenzo Brown hurt his ankle and only played 10 minutes.

I realize they were playing the woeful Hokies, but State looked solid yesterday. Richard Howell with 22 points and 12 rebounds, Lorenzo Brown with 12 assists against just 2 turnovers, C.J. Leslie with 15 points and 7 rebounds, T.J. Warren with 15 points and 5 rebounds plus 13 points from Scott Wood. That's each and every starter doing the things they are suppose to do to help the team.

I like this Virginia team. Coach Bennett is doing a good job, Joe Harris is very, very good ball player deserving of the 1st Team All ACC honors and Akil Mitchell is underappreciated by the average fan. Steady point guard play by the sometimes shaky Jontel Evans could be key for Virginia to be successful today, but 5'11" Evans will have his hands full with the 6'5" Lorenzo Brown.

This could be the best game of the Quarterfinals.

Bob Green
03-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Vegas odds for today's ACCT Quarterfinal games:

1. Miami is a 7.5 points favorite over Boston College with the over/under set at 125. That equates to 66-59.

2. NC State is a 1 point favorite over Virginia with the over/under set at 127. That equates to 64-63.

3. Carolina is a 6 points favorite over Florida State with the over/under set at 140. That equates to 73-67.

Funny thing is I post these lines and over/unders all the time but I never go back and compare the actual results to the projections. Oh well, whatever...

hurleyfor3
03-15-2013, 12:19 PM
I wish I were there.

hurleyfor3
03-15-2013, 01:19 PM
BC confuses me.

luburch
03-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Well BC gave it a nice shot. Hopefully took something out of Miami's legs.

pamtar
03-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Wanted to name my 6 month old son Olivier (after Ollie Derome) but succomed to my wife and we went with Olliver.

CameronBornAndBred
03-15-2013, 02:19 PM
BC sucks.
Gminski summed it up. "Two possessions, two timeouts, two turnovers."
Sheesh.

bluedevilsince72
03-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Digger Phelps on ESPN just said that he liked Duke's chances because he likes how Curry runs the team. At first I thought he just said the wrong name but then he repeated that he liked Curry running the point.

He should read Bilas' new book in which Bilas describes how hard he works to prepare for each broadcast. Digger needs to exit like Knight.

slower
03-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Digger Phelps on ESPN just said that he liked Duke's chances because he likes how Curry runs the team. At first I thought he just said the wrong name but then he repeated that he liked Curry running the point.

He should read Bilas' new book in which Bilas describes how hard he works to prepare for each broadcast. Digger needs to exit like Knight.

Yep, just saw that. Posted the same thing in another thread. What a moron.

luburch
03-15-2013, 02:36 PM
At halftime of the Indiana/Illinois game he referred to McGary as "McGraw"

TKG
03-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Digger Phelps is ESPN college basketball's answer to ESPN college football's Lee Corso.

77devil
03-15-2013, 03:14 PM

Perhaps not but just fine for a Terp. C'est la vie.

throatybeard
03-15-2013, 03:19 PM
I wish I were there.

Well sure, but it would be way better if it were at Madison Square Garden. Think of all that "exposure."

Bob Green
03-15-2013, 03:31 PM
State up nine at the half in a pretty fugly display of basketball. T.J. Warren leading the way with 10 points. When State has run their halfcourt offense, they've used good ball movement to generate open looks. Unfortunately, they've resorted to one-on-one moves and quick shots most of the time.

Harris (9 points) and Mitchell (6 points) are leading the Cavaliers.

throatybeard
03-15-2013, 03:40 PM
State up nine at the half in a pretty fugly display of basketball.

Anytime Virginia is in the arena, there will be ugly basketball. This has been the case at least since Terry Holland.

Tripping William
03-15-2013, 03:43 PM
State making a strong case for hoisting the Commonwealth Cup before the afternoon ends.

Bob Green
03-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Gottfried needs to pull Richard Howell from this game and save him for tomorrow against the 'Canes. Howell is playing on one leg right now. I'm not sure when/how it happened, but Howell definitely injured his right leg at some point.

MChambers
03-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Gottfried needs to pull Richard Howell from this game and save him for tomorrow against the 'Canes. Howell is playing on one leg right now. I'm not sure when/how it happened, but Howell definitely injured his right leg at some point.

Then it already is too late, I fear.

CameronBornAndBred
03-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Digger Phelps is ESPN college basketball's answer to ESPN college football's Lee Corso.

And he can't throw a chair.

NashvilleDevil
03-15-2013, 05:35 PM

Said it in a previous thread. People like Corso

throatybeard
03-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Lunardi thinks the Wolfies just bounced Virginia out of the NCAAT field.

I interpret this as there being about a 90% chance Virginia will make it into the NCAAT field.

Bob Green
03-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Lunardi thinks the Wolfies just bounced Virginia out of the NCAAT field.

I interpret this as there being about a 90% chance Virginia will make it into the NCAAT field.

Well you have neither street cred nor a strong track record but neither does Lunardi. :cool: You are probably right.

davekay1971
03-15-2013, 07:09 PM
State's win was impressive. Then again, when Wood knocks down 7 treys, State's offense is going to look pretty darn impressive. If State and Miami both play tomorrow like they did today, State will be playing for the championship on Sunday. ACC tournament runs after regular season performances that underwhelm is, without question, State being State.

rsvman
03-15-2013, 10:22 PM
If Howell is OK, NC State will win this tournament.
Hear me now and believe me later.

Remember before the season started when the pundits said NC State would win the ACC? Apparently they meant the tournament, not the regular season.

FerryFor50
03-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Soooo.... what's the over/under that Maryland comes out and lays an egg, Dez Wells shoots 1-12 and UNC coasts to an easy win tomorrow?

BlueDevilBrowns
03-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Soooo.... what's the over/under that Maryland comes out and lays an egg, Dez Wells shoots 1-12 and UNC coasts to an easy win tomorrow?

Well, I'm a little afraid to utter the "M" word right now but I'll say They lose to UNC by 11 after keeping it close for 30 minutes.

I am SOOO a NCSU fan until Sunday around 3pm.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Well, the U is toying with State right now. They've lead by about 10 points all game. Things are looking rosey for Miami as I just don't see Md or UNC having much for them tomorrow.

devildeac
03-16-2013, 03:24 PM
At halftime of the Indiana/Illinois game he referred to McGary as "McGraw"

Wonder if he was thinking Tug or Quick Draw:D?

Bluedog
03-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Maryland missed 2 free throws yesterday on TWENTY FIVE attempts. Today, they have had 8 so far and have already missed three. Teams always play out of their minds to beat us and then come back down to earth (or even collapse) the next game it seems.....Having said that, it's a 6-point game so it's definitely anybody's to win at this point.

devildeac
03-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Wonder if you can teach a terrapin/turtle to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPH5d-VD16w

Oh, wait a minute, looks like they have learned that trick in The Greensboro Coliseum already this afternoon/evening. Yea, I know there's about 7 minutes to go but...

FerryFor50
03-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Maryland missed 2 free throws yesterday on TWENTY FIVE attempts. Today, they have had 8 so far and have already missed three. Teams always play out of their minds to beat us and then come back down to earth (or even collapse) the next game it seems.....Having said that, it's a 6-point game so it's definitely anybody's to win at this point.

Oh look. Dez Wells is 4-12 so far for 9 pts.

Guess his arms are tired after dropping 30 on Duke. And I guess he must not be getting fouled today with his 2 free throw attempts.... Of which he missed both.

Awesome.

devildeac
03-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Well, maybe they're not dead yet (that's another trick;)), down 3 with 3+ minutes to go. Maybe Dez can show up for the last 3 minutes of the game. So far he's at 13 points on 5/13 shooting:rolleyes:.

rsvman
03-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Game not over yet

rsvman
03-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Down to the wire. Maryland with a chance

rsvman
03-16-2013, 05:49 PM
What was THAT?!?

_Gary
03-16-2013, 05:50 PM
What was THAT?!?

A typical Carolina finish where the other team does something really boneheaded and blows a chance. Very, very typical.

Gthoma2a
03-16-2013, 05:53 PM
What was Maryland thinking?! That was so stupid. Just jack up a 3 without looking for something a little less chaotic? Makes me sick that they beat us. Now, we get to hear it from the UNC fans for the rest of the week. It wouldn't be so frustrating if we weren't clearly a better team.

sagegrouse
03-16-2013, 05:54 PM
ACC finals -- I say Miami. UNC staggered to the finish. I think Miami is too strong. -- sagegrouse

uh_no
03-16-2013, 05:54 PM
What was Maryland thinking?! That was so stupid. Just jack up a 3 without looking for something a little less chaotic? Makes me sick that they beat us. Now, we get to hear it from the UNC fans for the rest of the week. It wouldn't be so frustrating if we weren't clearly a better team.

hey, we beat them twice this year...they can jaw all they want.

further, maryland's season is over, ours is not....they can jaw all they want.

_Gary
03-16-2013, 05:56 PM
ACC finals -- I say Miami. UNC staggered to the finish. I think Miami is too strong. -- sagegrouse

Absolutely. No way Miami doesn't win tomorrow.

I also agree with uh no. I'm not at all worried about UNC or Maryland jawing. If either does so they are fools. We have the upper hand with both schools and everyone on the planet knows we are superior to both this year.

FerryFor50
03-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Gee if only the Twerps had missed 8 fts against us...

And if only Dez had scored closer to his normal output.

Gets real old seeing teams play out of their minds against Duke and then roll over for UNC.

_Gary
03-16-2013, 05:58 PM

Gets real old seeing teams play out of their minds against Duke and then roll over for UNC.

I came to peace with that a while ago. It's just axiomatic at this point that teams will always play us with fire and superhuman effort and UNC with crap and boneheaded mistakes.

Gthoma2a
03-16-2013, 05:59 PM
hey, we beat them twice this year...they can jaw all they want.

further, maryland's season is over, ours is not....they can jaw all they want.

I know. I just wish we could replay yesterday's game to go into the tournament with a little momentum. Hopefully the "one and done" talk from K really sinks in.

hurleyfor3
03-16-2013, 05:59 PM
If unc were to beat Miami, it would be by far their best win all year.

rsvman
03-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Weird situation for Duke fans. If Carolina were to beat Miami, it might actually benefit us. The committee would be unlikely to give Miami a one seed over us, and it makes our sweep of Carolina look more impressive.

Perhaps buys is a one seed rather than a two.

But then again, it gives our rivals an ACC Championship.

Hmmm.........guess I'd rather take my chances from the two spot.

_Gary
03-16-2013, 06:00 PM
If unc were to beat Miami, it would be by far their best win all year.

Agreed, but I just can't see it happening. I'm thinking Miami by double digits.

uh_no
03-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Weird situation for Duke fans. If Carolina were to beat Miami, it might actually benefit us. The committee would be unlikely to give Miami a one seed over us, and it makes our sweep of Carolina look more impressive.

especially since a 2 seed puts us in DC...since even with a UL loss tonight, there's little chance we pass them for the DC 1 seed.

devildeac
03-16-2013, 06:02 PM

Go 'Canes.

Gthoma2a
03-16-2013, 06:03 PM

Can't the floor cave in, and they both somehow be declared losers? I'd like that outcome! No injuries, but an extra L for them both. Or a no contest ACC tournament.

hurleyfor3
03-16-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm agnostic. If we play like last night at any point in the ncaa tournament, it's not gonna make a hill of beans of difference what seed we are.

chaosmage
03-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Absolutely. No way Miami doesn't win tomorrow.

I also agree with uh no. I'm not at all worried about UNC or Maryland jawing. If either does so they are fools. We have the upper hand with both schools and everyone on the planet knows we are superior to both this year.

A diehard UNX fan called me last night; I told him to get his crowing out of the way. His words here - "Hey, you guys beat the **** out of us, I can't say anything."

So yeah. He said no matter what, UNC can't talk. Not that this will affect other fans, but our season sweep and the fact that Roy is basically playing this small lineup that looks REALLY familiar to most Duke fans should shut any of them up.

My 2p.

ncexnyc
03-16-2013, 07:04 PM

Sorry but it's ABC!

Troublemaker
03-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Go Canes.

A Miami loss might help Duke but it might hurt Duke, too. You'd have to see the brackets beforehand to know.

Sometimes the 2 seed gets an easier path than the 1 seed. And it's no guarantee Miami would even pass us.

Go Canes.

Newton_14
03-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Go Canes.

A Miami loss might help Duke but it might hurt Duke, too. You'd have to see the brackets beforehand to know.

Sometimes the 2 seed gets an easier path than the 1 seed. And it's no guarantee Miami would even pass us.

Go Canes.

May Reggie Johnson miss every shot in a 30 point Miami win. Go Canes. 9F

ns7
03-16-2013, 09:29 PM
We would have lost by 3

Our players should have guarded him better.

This stuff happens. We had been lucky in earlier close games; sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way. UNC has had plenty of losses in their history where a player gets hot and they lose (Harold "The Show" Arceneaux).

FerryFor50
03-16-2013, 09:36 PM
We would have lost by 3

Our players should have guarded him better.

This stuff happens. We had been lucky in earlier close games; sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way. UNC has had plenty of losses in their history where a player gets hot and they lose (Harold "The Show" Arceneaux).

Not lately they haven't.

The UNC losses are rarely due to one guy having a huge game. They lose due to poor overall play and questionable in game coaching.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Not lately they haven't.

The UNC losses are rarely due to one guy having a huge game. They lose due to poor overall play and questionable in game coaching.

I've seen UNC fans whine for years about the same thing I see here. "Everybody gets up for us...he had to have a career game to beat us"...etc...of course good players and teams get up to play the best teams, and sometimes they have big nights....it's a compliment to your program, even if you do lose a few.

BTW, It's OK to want your rival to lose, but sooner or later some of you guys are gonna have an epiphany and realize it's OK to respect 'Ol Roy's coaching. He's done a great job with his team this year after major defections and obvious holes in young player development at key positions.

One other thing, I have to admit after all the stuff I have had to endure reading this season around here about my teams coach, to know he's taken a young, inexperienced team to the ACC Championship game while your coach takes his senior dominated and experienced team back to Durham, feels...well...um...not bad :)

It helps get past the two loses...

BlueDevilBrowns
03-16-2013, 10:20 PM
I've seen UNC fans whine for years about the same thing I see here. "Everybody gets up for us...he had to have a career game to beat us"...etc...of course good players and teams get up to play the best teams, and sometimes they have big nights....it's a compliment to your program, even if you do lose a few.

BTW, It's OK to want your rival to lose, but sooner or later some of you guys are gonna have an epiphany and realize it's OK to respect 'Ol Roy's coaching. He's done a great job with his team this year after major defections and obvious holes in young player development at key positions.

One other thing, I have to admit after all the stuff I have had to endure reading this season around here about my teams coach, to know he's taken a young, inexperienced team to the Championship game while your coach takes his senior dominated and experienced team back to Durham, feels...well...um...not bad :)

So, you're saying the ACCT matters now? I thought UNC fans gave up caring about it years ago when some coach called it a glorified cocktail party.

I thought the Regular Season is the "real" championship? I mean, even if UNC beats Miami tomorrow, UNC isn't the real ACC Conference Champions, right?

Wheat/"/"/"
03-16-2013, 10:39 PM
So, you're saying the ACCT matters now? I thought UNC fans gave up caring about it years ago when some coach called it a glorified cocktail party.

I thought the Regular Season is the "real" championship? I mean, even if UNC beats Miami tomorrow, UNC isn't the real ACC Conference Champions, right?

Sure it matters, always has. Every game matters to me. I want to win them all, every game.

I'll let the league/media decide which winning title is more important. If you win them all there's no argument, so that should always be the goal.

_Gary
03-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Sure it matters, always has. Every game matters to me. I want to win them all, every game.

I'll let the league/media decide which winning title is more important. If you win them all there's no argument, so that should always be the goal.

Well then you'll be happy tomorrow after Miami wraps up the ACCT, after having already won the ACCRS. So no problems there. :D

davekay1971
03-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Wheat: Your coach still stinks compared to ours. He stunk less when he started reading DBR, but he still stinks. A quarterfinals loss doesn't change the fact that K guided this team, despite losing one our best players to injury for 13 games, to remain top 5 (thereabouts) all season, while your coach guided his team, which started the season ranked top 10, with no major injury issues, straight out of the top 25. When he read DBR and started to emulate Coach K (ie: fitting his game plan to his personnel) rather than sticking with his usual routine of trying to pound square pegs into round holes, he guided his team back into the others receiving votes category. Strong work, Roy. Very strong work.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Wheat: Your coach still stinks compared to ours. He stunk less when he started reading DBR, but he still stinks. A quarterfinals loss doesn't change the fact that K guided this team, despite losing one our best players to injury for 13 games, to remain top 5 (thereabouts) all season, while your coach guided his team, which started the season ranked top 10, with no major injury issues, straight out of the top 25. When he read DBR and started to emulate Coach K (ie: fitting his game plan to his personnel) rather than sticking with his usual routine of trying to pound square pegs into round holes, he guided his team back into the others receiving votes category. Strong work, Roy. Very strong work.

At the risk of a moderator hand slap if humor takes a day off today...

I guess all I can say to that post is..."your momma wears army boots". :)

Wheat/"/"/"
03-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Well then you'll be happy tomorrow after Miami wraps up the ACCT, after having already won the ACCRS. So no problems there. :D

I would love to see an upset, but I think Miami is the best team in the league and they should win.

BTW, if they do, I can't see how Duke can get a 1 seed over them.

davekay1971
03-17-2013, 07:55 AM
I guess all I can say to that post is..."your momma wears army boots". :)

Navy, actually...steel toed...and they've been planted in more than one admiral's posterior when the need called for it. Seriously, I love my mother, but even though she's 72 years old and 9 inches shorter than me, I'm still terrified of making that woman mad! :)

I think you're right about the odds of Duke getting a 1 seed over Miami if Miami wins the ACCT...that's, discussed ad nauseum in the other thread, but it looks like, if Miami wins, the ACC probably has 2 number 2 seeds in Duke and Miami.

I hope you have a great St. Patty's day, Wheat, but I hope it's great in spite of your team losing by 40!

Bob Green
03-17-2013, 08:29 AM
BTW, if they do, I can't see how Duke can get a 1 seed over them.

I agree with you. If Miami wins today they deserve the #1 seed. I believe history is on their side (assuming they win):

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=46834

But note this: no team in the seeding era (which started in 1979) has ever won an outright ACC regular season title AND the tournament and not gotten a No. 1 seed.

robobevan
03-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Every year we have the argument whether the ACC tournament is important or is it better to get rest. I think this season proves the ACC tournament is significant to win for the most important and selfish reason of all-we get to watch two more Duke games!! There are precious few games left in the season. We all kept talking about 9 games left to win. But we were guaranteed only 2. I was looking forward to watching 3 games this weekend and got only one very disappointing game. This weekend has sucked. Oh well, regroup and look forward to 3 two game tournaments. Go Duke!

Bob Green
03-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Coach Williams looking like a slightly altered Norm Sloan this afternoon rocking a plaid sport coat. In news that is actually relevant, Durand Scott left the court injured and has headed to the locker room. He appeared to be holding his lower back.

#1Duke
03-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Very good game so far. Both teams playing tough.

Mabdul Doobakus
03-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Terrific first half of basketball, if you can stomach watching it. Turned into a 3 point shooting contest around the 8 minute mark. Tons of lead changes, lots of intensity.

UrinalCake
03-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Agreed. Putting aside my disappointment at us not being in it, this is a really entertaining and well-played game. Both teams shooting lights out. Hairston and MacAdoo actually look like future NBA players, lets hope this performance convinces them both to leave. And also wrecks team chemistry for the tourney 8-)

hurleyfor3
03-17-2013, 02:48 PM
I try not to heap too much praise on unc, but that is one fine blazer Roy is wearing.

devildeac
03-17-2013, 02:49 PM
I try not to heap too much praise on unc, but that is one fine blazer Roy is wearing.

Wonder if Sylvia designed it for him:rolleyes:?

devildeac
03-17-2013, 02:51 PM
C'mon, 'Canes, make those FT!

sagegrouse
03-17-2013, 02:53 PM
C'mon, 'Canes, make those FT!

Stick a fork in that sheep -- it is done!!

Pleased for the Canes and Larranaga .... and even Donna Shalala. -- sagegrouse

devildeac
03-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Miami up 8. 17 seconds to go. Nah, couldn't happen again:mad:.

hurleyfor3
03-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Congrats to the Hurricanes. I'm generally pleased when the ACC orthodoxy is disrupted. After the last couple of weeks of the regular season it wasn't clear they still had their focus.

I want to play them again.

devildeac
03-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Miami holds on, 87-77. Time to retire the blazer, Sylvia, err, Roy.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-17-2013, 03:20 PM
I believe that's three straight ACCT losses in the Finals for UNC.

That has to sting!

jipops
03-17-2013, 03:48 PM

One other thing, I have to admit after all the stuff I have had to endure reading this season around here about my teams coach, to know he's taken a young, inexperienced team to the ACC Championship game while your coach takes his senior dominated and experienced team back to Durham, feels...well...um...not bad :)

I respect Roy for having the intelligence to insert his best player into the starting lineup in order to turn the season around. Pure genius.

In all seriousness, yes it has been an excellent job by Roy. Hard to see many other coaches not being able to accomplish the same with all of that physical talent to work with, but credit him for not screwing it up.

If Hairston stays, and he probably will, he'll be the best player in the conference next year. The kid excels playing 3 different positions. And I expect Roy will have the best team.

_Gary
03-17-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm thinking Miami by double digits.

10 equals double digits, right? :cool:

Congrats to the Canes. They really are an impressive team and I wouldn't at all be surprised if they won it all.

ClosetHurleyFan
03-17-2013, 03:54 PM
I respect Roy for having the intelligence to insert his best player into the starting lineup in order to turn the season around. Pure genius.

In all seriousness, yes it has been an excellent job by Roy. Hard to see many other coaches not being able to accomplish the same with all of that physical talent to work with, but credit him for not screwing it up.

If Hairston stays, and he probably will, he'll be the best player in the conference next year. The kid excels playing 3 different positions.

Yet your brilliant coach with a lottery pick big man
And first rounder in Seth curry and all that experience couldn't get past Friday with yet your second loss to unranked Maryland.

I love how this board in all its wisdom coaching questions the approach of a man that has worked for 25 years to the tune of 700 wins numerous final fours and two (nearly a third with Kansas if not for historically bad free throw shooting) national championships. So what if it took him a while before being willing to adjust the lineup. When an approach works for this long you don't change on a whim.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-17-2013, 04:04 PM

If Hairston stays, and he probably will, he'll be the best player in the conference next year. The kid excels playing 3 different positions. And I expect Roy will have the best team.

If PJ stays, and I read somewhere that he's said he will, he and Larkin probably head up the short list for ACC POY.

Incoming 6'8" UNC recruit Isaiah Hicks had a big night as MVP of his state championship (http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1275352.html) game last night, his line 34 pts, 30 rbs 7 blks....

I suspect UNC will be competitive next season...:)

I'll also add the most impressive coaching thing I've seen from him this season is how he has developed PG Marcus Paige.

jipops
03-17-2013, 04:09 PM
And first rounder in Seth curry and all that experience couldn't get past Friday with yet your second loss to unranked Maryland.

I love how this board in all its wisdom coaching questions the approach of a man that has worked for 25 years to the tune of 700 wins numerous final fours and two (nearly a third with Kansas if not for historically bad free throw shooting) national championships. So what if it took him a while before being willing to adjust the lineup. When an approach works for this long you don't change on a whim.

Not really questioning Roy's ability, just not giving as high of a stock as others. But yea, enough devalueing, Yes he's a very good one.

Yes, with our very good players we lost. It happens. I don't think there has ever been a program that even with very good talent has had to endure some disappointing losses. And it's not like we lost to a team that we could physically overwhelm. And I'm fully aware of K's warts. But I'll take them.

mapei
03-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Count me among those who think Roy is a teriffic coach. He wins, sometimes big, and I wouldn't mind if my kid played for him. There are very few college coaches of any sport I can say that about.

That said, congrats to the Canes - clearly the best team in the ACC this year.

captmojo
03-17-2013, 04:29 PM

In defense of that brilliant coach, he neither made or missed a single attempt at any 3-point spot on the floor last Friday night.
You may correct me if I've erred.
I stand with devildeac however, on his wardrobe critique.
Congratulations for the honor of hanging a new 2nd place banner.

jipops
03-17-2013, 04:34 PM
If PJ stays, and I read somewhere that he's said he will, he and Larkin probably head up the short list for ACC POY.

Incoming 6'8" UNC recruit Isaiah Hicks had a big night as MVP of his state championship (http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1275352.html) game last night, his line 34 pts, 30 rbs 7 blks....

I suspect UNC will be competitive next season...:)

I'll also add the most impressive coaching thing I've seen from him this season is how he has developed PG Marcus Paige.

Yea, the Heels should be very impressive next season. Roy should have all the pieces he needs next season for a title run with so much balance and depth. Hard to see where they will really lack. Yes, Marcus has come on well this season. But I think we have different outlooks on player development. I've always believed that players have a lot more to do with their development than coaches. Otherwise Roy hasn't done well with Strickland over 4 years. When Mason really came on this season K made the comment that Mason's success is on Mason. And I think he's right.

devildeac
03-17-2013, 05:24 PM

Just a couple reminders:
73-68.
69-53. (and a true road game;))

Shoot, this board, in all its wisdom, questions a guy who has worked for ~35 years with waaaay more than 900 wins (more than Dean;)), more final fours than I can count without taking my shoes off and four NC (which could be 5, 6 or 7 were not for Tony Lang's short fingernails, some horrendous reffing and a couple other excuses). This board, in all its wisdom just about since its inception, had questioned K on many occasions. Every once (or twice) in a while, we lay an egg (or soil our britches) and lose a game we shouldn't. Board gets shut down for 12-24 hours, (mostly) rational minds return and we go about our business of internet discussion of men's and women's hoops, along with a few other sports, and continue about our merry way. We're just happy (sort of) Roy read DBR and righted the ship this year:rolleyes:. Still hoping the boys in the wrong color blue draw a tough first round foe and make an early exit later this week from the NCAAT.

captmojo
03-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Just a couple reminders:
73-68.

Shoot, this board, in all its wisdom, questions a guy who has worked for ~35 years with waaaay more than 900 wins (more than Dean;)), more final fours than I can count without taking my shoes off and four NC (which could be 5, 6 or 7 were not for Tony Lang's short fingernails, some horrendous reffing and a couple other excuses). This board, in all its wisdom just about since its inception, had questioned K on many occasions. Every once (or twice) in a while, we lay an egg (or soil our britches) and lose a game we shouldn't. Board gets shut down for 12-24 hours, (mostly) rational minds return and we go about our business of internet discussion of men's and women's hoops, along with a few other sports, and continue about our merry way. We're just happy (sort of) Roy read DBR and righted the ship this year:rolleyes:. Still hoping the boys in the wrong color blue draw a tough first round foe and make an early exit later this week from the NCAAT.

Hey! Hey! You left out the Olympic gold. ;)

devildeac
03-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Hey! Hey! You left out the Olympic golds. ;)

Fixed it for you;).

captmojo
03-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Fixed it for you;).

I thought it was like the plural form of the word 'chicken'. :D

jv001
03-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Just a couple reminders:
73-68.

And if my memory serves me correctly, Coach K didn't run to the dressing room in fear, leaving his players on the court for the storming of the court. Yeh old roy's a great one, lol. GoDuke!

Rudy
03-18-2013, 12:12 AM
The final was the only game in the tournament in which both teams played well. Pretty exciting and the right team won. Hairston was amazing with his off hand banged up and so was Larkin.

UNC is a center away from being very, very good. If all the underclassmen stay and the freshman giant James develops they will be a tough out indeed.