PDA

View Full Version : Saturday's Football Scrimmage Gallery

watzone
08-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Here are a few pictures from Saturday's scrimmage. There are several other football galleries in the menu.

scrimmage gallery (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2007/8/20/3170772.html)

jimsumner
08-21-2007, 09:10 PM
A few random thoughts about today's football scrimmage.

First, I don't know how these guys stand it. I was sitting in the shade, in shorts and a t-shirt, with a breeze and I could barely stay conscious. It was seriously hot folks. I can't imagine how hot it must have been on the field, especially for those poor schmucks who drew the dark blue jerseys. I'm pretty sure Connecticut isn't practicing in 105 degree weather. Maybe it will be an advantage.

Speaking of jerseys. No names this year. Just numbers. Buy a program or memorize the numbers.

This was more of a situational scrimmage than a keep score scrimmage. Play clock ran but not game clock, no score kept, some contact limits (keep hands of the QBs, guys), real officials.

Like all scrimmages, this was a zero-sum situation. Is a sack the result of an unstoppable pass rush or porous pass-blocking? Let me look at the film and I'll get back to you. :)

Best play of the game award goes to Jomar Wright, who turned a slightly underthrown fly pattern into a long TD, dragging a couple of defenders the final five yards. Two thumbs up. Duke's WRs appear to be a strength. Duke also appears to have about 30 WRs. Tight ends seem to be short-yardage folks. Then again, I suspect we didn't see the full package. You never can tell who the UConn moles are. :)

Lewis appears to be firmly entrenched as first-team QB. Asack played a fair amount but usually ran out the shotgun. Running back by committee. Didn't see much from Drummer or Robinson. Mainly Boyle, Boyette, Harris.

Defense? Lots of folks played. Leon Wright was around the ball a lot and was making some plays. He's a keeper.

Surgan looked good on place-kicks, getting one kick-off five yards into the end zone from the 30 (new distance this year). But I think the kick-rush was modified. We'll see how it works under game conditions. Punting? Nothing to put in time capsule but acceptable.

There were some what's-that-count-again-snafus and the ball hit the ground on the c/qb exchange a few more times than I would like. Still, they appeared to be on the same page most of the time.

Wake-up moment? Lewis to Riley on a sideline pattern. Lewis throws high, Riley hung out to try, gets drilled. One of the coaches, Montgomery maybe, shouts "Do not do that again" and I wouldn't be surprised if you could hear it on East Campus. Gotta protect those impact guys.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-21-2007, 09:40 PM
First, I don't know how these guys stand it. I was sitting in the shade, in shorts and a t-shirt, with a breeze and I could barely stay conscious. It was seriously hot folks.

real officials.

Like all scrimmages, this was a zero-sum situation. Is a sack the result of an unstoppable pass rush or porous pass-blocking? Let me look at the film and I'll get back to you. :)

Best play of the game award goes to Jomar Wright, who turned a slightly underthrown fly pattern into a long TD, dragging a couple of defenders the final five yards. Two thumbs up. Duke's WRs appear to be a strength.

Lewis appears to be firmly entrenched as first-team QB. Asack played a fair amount but usually ran out the shotgun.

Defense? Lots of folks played. Leon Wright was around the ball a lot and was making some plays. He's a keeper.

Wake-up moment? Lewis to Riley on a sideline pattern. Lewis throws high, Riley hung out to try, gets drilled. One of the coaches, Montgomery maybe, shouts "Do not do that again" and I wouldn't be surprised if you could hear it on East Campus. Gotta protect those impact guys.

Nice to see Jim Sumner and Watzone at the dinner after the scrimmage. Mark, I want a jpg of that picture you took!

Real officials? They were wearing SHORTS! What wimps! Just like the caddies at the PGA tournament 2 weeks ago.

Lewis threw the ball OK, Asack looked really rusty when throwing. Of course, he carried the ball 4 our of every 6 plays he was in for. Not tough for me to call the plays when he was in.

I sat with a couple of he defensive players at the dinner. They were really excited with the athleticism of the players on D. Said there were some real difference makers playing this year. I certainly hope so!

Speaking of dinner speakers, V O, Vince Ohgobasse, is quite the speaker. His eloquence reminded me of Jason Williams (very high praise indeed). He has a future, on and off the field. Look for him to have a big year on the field. The defensive scheme has changed to allow him to shine to his 5-star rating out of HS.

Beat UCon!

watzone
08-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Nice to see Jim Sumner and Watzone at the dinner after the scrimmage. Mark, I want a jpg of that picture you took!

Real officials? They were wearing SHORTS! What wimps! Just like the caddies at the PGA tournament 2 weeks ago.

Lewis threw the ball OK, Asack looked really rusty when throwing. Of course, he carried the ball 4 our of every 6 plays he was in for. Not tough for me to call the plays when he was in.

I sat with a couple of he defensive players at the dinner. They were really excited with the athleticism of the players on D. Said there were some real difference makers playing this year. I certainly hope so!

Speaking of dinner speakers, V O, Vince Ohgobasse, is quite the speaker. His eloquence reminded me of Jason Williams (very high praise indeed). He has a future, on and off the field. Look for him to have a big year on the field. The defensive scheme has changed to allow him to shine to his 5-star rating out of HS.

Beat UCon!

I will send you that cheerleaders pic when I can paint shop that fellow in the middle out. I will have a cool pic gallery at the BDN by morning.

watzone
08-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Here are some pics from yesterday's public scrimmage and a few shot from the dinner afterwards. Go to slidewhow once you have hit the link. You will see our own ozzie4duke. Sorry that the cheerleaders turned their heads oz;)

picture gallery is here (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2007/8/22/3174093.html)

throatybeard
08-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Speaking of jerseys. No names this year. Just numbers. Buy a program or memorize the numbers.

Arrrgh! So high school!

Highlander
08-22-2007, 10:32 AM

Interesting. Wasn't Duke the first (or one of the first) school(s) to put names on the back of their football jerseys? I thought I had read somewhere that we invented that, but maybe it's an urban legend.

If so, it seems odd that we'd undo that.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-22-2007, 05:50 PM
I will send you that cheerleaders pic when I can paint shop that fellow in the middle out. I will have a cool pic gallery at the BDN by morning.

I see that by late afternoon, you included the picture in question in the slide show. This morning it wasn't. A nice addition, if I do say so my self :)

It was definitely the highlight of the afternoon and evening!

Bob Green
08-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Arrrgh! So high school!

Just numbers is good enough for the New York Yankees!

watzone
08-22-2007, 09:13 PM
I see that by late afternoon, you included the picture in question in the slide show. This morning it wasn't. A nice addition, if I do say so my self :)

It was definitely the highlight of the afternoon and evening!

I just wish I had them looking your way;) There is always meet the Devils this Saturday for another opportunity. They'll be in their uniforms too Oz.

captmojo
08-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Just numbers is good enough for the New York Yankees!

It's also been good enough for Joe Paterno. I like the concept of "This is a team" , rather than individuals.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-23-2007, 02:34 AM
I just wish I had them looking your way;) There is always meet the Devils this Saturday for another opportunity. They'll be in their uniforms too Oz.

If you notice, three of the girls aren't looking at you (or the camera) either. Wonder what had them so distracted?????

What time Saturday? I'll probably be playing golf and won't get up to Durham.

4decadedukie
08-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the excellent report; it's appreciated.

Bluedawg
08-23-2007, 11:05 AM
If you notice, three of the girls aren't looking at you (or the camera) either. Wonder what had them so distracted?????

What time Saturday? I'll probably be playing golf and won't get up to Durham.

1:00pm-3:00pm

jimsumner
08-23-2007, 12:16 PM
"If you notice, three of the girls aren't looking at you (or the camera) either. Wonder what had them so distracted?????."

Oz, I believe yours truly was hanging around the periphery. That would explain it. :)

OZZIE4DUKE
08-23-2007, 06:22 PM
"If you notice, three of the girls aren't looking at you (or the camera) either. Wonder what had them so distracted?????."

Oz, I believe yours truly was hanging around the periphery. That would explain it. :)

Without a doubt, Jim. Glad you solved that mystery for us!