PDA

View Full Version : Conference Tournament ACC Network affiliates

awhom111
03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
The new ACC TV deal means that this is the second year where the ESPN networks are not blacked out anywhere for conference tournament games. On the other hand, the games are still broadcast on some local stations using the Raycom ACC Network production. It is a good if you do not have pay TV or if you just want to have some different announcers. Here is the list for our quarterfinal game:
http://acctourney.theacc.com/matchCenters/affiliates/262

TNDukeFan
03-12-2013, 01:02 PM
The new ACC TV deal means that this is the second year where the ESPN networks are not blacked out anywhere for conference tournament games.

Not, alas, when it comes to ESPN3, which is blacking out Duke's game on Friday as well as the BE and B10's semis. Back to firstrow, I guess.

MCFinARL
03-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Not, alas, when it comes to ESPN3, which is blacking out Duke's game on Friday as well as the BE and B10's semis. Back to firstrow, I guess.

It's so weird that it blacks out the online coverage but not the TV coverage.

hurleyfor3
03-12-2013, 01:31 PM
As far as Espn's coverage (I know, not precisely the thread topic), I'm seeing

Thursday afternoon and evening: EspnU
Friday afternoon and evening: Espn2
Saturday and Sunday: main Espn

The far-flung ACC Network affiliates may not be carrying anything; for example Channel 20 in Denver is not.

DallasDevil
03-12-2013, 04:18 PM

My understanding is that it's blacked out on ESPN3, but the ACC feed is available on the ACC's website or via the ACC phone/iPad app. At least, that's what I hope as I would prefer to avoid firstrow.

CDu
03-12-2013, 04:31 PM
It's so weird that it blacks out the online coverage but not the TV coverage.

I guess they want to force you to watch the game on TV rather than the internet. Of course, for those unable to be in front of a TV screen, that sucks. And really, if given the choice, who would choose to watch on their computer rather than their TV anyway?

awhom111
03-12-2013, 09:21 PM

This actually has nothing to do with Raycom. ESPN is now blacking out some night events from ESPN3 (I guess leaving it on in the daytime is a nod to the people who use it away from home (read that as at work)). The blackout depends on the time zone. Here in the Pacific time zone, we get it on ESPN3 still, but only people who are in a blacked out time zone can see the map on the ESPN3 website, so if someone can access it and link it here, I am sure that would be useful to some people.

I guess they want to force you to watch the game on TV rather than the internet. Of course, for those unable to be in front of a TV screen, that sucks. And really, if given the choice, who would choose to watch on their computer rather than their TV anyway?

The real reason is that ESPN is trying to get more providers to sign up for the WatchESPN service which I guess they can get more money from than just the old ESPN3 service.

TNDukeFan
03-13-2013, 07:09 AM
My understanding is that it's blacked out on ESPN3, but the ACC feed is available on the ACC's website or via the ACC phone/iPad app. At least, that's what I hope as I would prefer to avoid firstrow.

I hope you're right. I spent some fruitless time on theacc.com trying to find out whether they'd stream the games.

DallasDevil
03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
I hope you're right. I spent some fruitless time on theacc.com trying to find out whether they'd stream the games.

Here's the link I'm hanging my hat on: http://acctourney.theacc.com/matchCenters/liveVideo/262 According to this, live video will start on theacc.com at game time. No word as to whether it would be blacked out in the same areas as ESPN3.com though. The website for the mobile app says users will be able to watch the tournament on the app: http://www.theacc.com/apps/

msdukie
03-13-2013, 12:40 PM
ESPN3 is a channel ON Watch ESPN.

TNDukeFan
03-13-2013, 02:06 PM
ESPN3 is a channel ON Watch ESPN.

Well, not always. Charter has ESPN3, but not WatchESPN. So I can't watch the streaming of ESPNU, ESPN2, etc, just ESPN3. Except when it's blacked out, which, for Duke, is pretty much every game.

jmck214
03-13-2013, 02:27 PM
I am also hopeful that the ACC app will work on my phone for Saturday if watchespn is blacked out. I watched the ACC semis two years ago on my phone with the ACC app

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Well, not always. Charter has ESPN3, but not WatchESPN. So I can't watch the streaming of ESPNU, ESPN2, etc, just ESPN3. Except when it's blacked out, which, for Duke, is pretty much every game.

Correct. Access to the WatchESPN app came in the latest round of negotiations with Disney/ESPN. Not all MSOs have gone through through it yet.

Like someone else said, it looks like your should be good to go on theACC.com or through their app. Note that the streaming requires a one time in app purchase. I'm guessing it wouldn't be blacked out if you're paying for it, but logic doesn't always apply in these sorts of decisions.