PDA

View Full Version : Great NBA Posterizations (video included)

FerryFor50
03-11-2013, 08:21 PM
I know this is a Duke forum, but Knight does have some Duke ties. We recruited him, Kyrie made him look foolish, etc.

But this was too good to not post.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/3/11/4088304/deandre-jordan-brandon-knight-dunk-gifs-twitter-reaction

jipops
03-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Yea, it's nasty. But part of me thinks, big deal, a 6'11" guy dunked on a 6'2" guy. It would have been more impressive if it were the other way around. Kind of like Kevin Johnson over Olajuwon.. link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVcSndz52DE)

FerryFor50
03-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Yea, it's nasty. But part of me thinks, big deal, a 6'11" guy dunked on a 6'2" guy. It would have been more impressive if it were the other way around. Kind of like Kevin Johnson over Olajuwon.. link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVcSndz52DE)

It wasn't just the dunk, but the fact it was a lob pass and Knight just got demolished. Bet he won't do that again... :)

Newton_14
03-11-2013, 08:37 PM
I know this is a Duke forum, but Knight does have some Duke ties. We recruited him, Kyrie made him look foolish, etc.

But this was too good to not post.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/3/11/4088304/deandre-jordan-brandon-knight-dunk-gifs-twitter-reaction

Two words for BK next time: Don;t attempt!

Seriously dude, move out of the way.

Lord Ash
03-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Just a brutal, brutal dunk. Often people say "Oh, that guy was posterized!" when, in actuality, he was just standing in the general vicinity, but yikes, that was bad. Actually glad he wasn't hurt on the fall.

On the plus side, anyone see Knight's tweet afterwards? Something like "That the Clippers throw alley oops was not on the scouting report". At least he had a sense of humor about it:)

sporthenry
03-11-2013, 10:43 PM
I personally have really liked what Knight has done over the past few weeks. Guy seems to be a gym rat and someone anyone would want on their team. In the Rising Stars game, he didn't back down from Kyrie and although Kyrie probably got the upper hand, it wasn't by much b/c Knight beat Kyrie off the dribble twice but missed the lay ups.

As for this play, I tend to agree with others that think it is a stupid culture that somehow says guys should get out of the way and let them dunk for fear or being posterized. He was playing very good defense and in reality, Knight's jump was much more impressive for his size. I'm not sure how it is "better" for the guy to just let it happen and not do anything to stop it. Personally, I hope the coaches tell him to continue to do what he is doing. That somehow Knight should be humiliated for trying but I agree it was nice to see his sense of humor about it all.

Mudge
03-12-2013, 06:07 AM
I personally have really liked what Knight has done over the past few weeks. Guy seems to be a gym rat and someone anyone would want on their team. In the Rising Stars game, he didn't back down from Kyrie and although Kyrie probably got the upper hand, it wasn't by much b/c Knight beat Kyrie off the dribble twice but missed the lay ups.

As for this play, I tend to agree with others that think it is a stupid culture that somehow says guys should get out of the way and let them dunk for fear or being posterized. He was playing very good defense and in reality, Knight's jump was much more impressive for his size. I'm not sure how it is "better" for the guy to just let it happen and not do anything to stop it. Personally, I hope the coaches tell him to continue to do what he is doing. That somehow Knight should be humiliated for trying but I agree it was nice to see his sense of humor about it all.

This is exactly what people on a Duke board should be applauding-- some one playing defense the right way, trying to win-- Knight's effort is more in line with Duke's emphasis on trying to stop offensive penetration, by taking charges (which puts the defender at risk of this ridiculous "posterizing" concept, a` la Greg Paulus vs. VPI), rather than just letting opponents score on you, just so you can protect some flawed, urban playground concept of "pride"... it's disappointing to see Duke fans trumpeting this idea of being "posterized", when they could be acknowledging a team player being fully committed to winning, by sacrificing a childish conceit (and maybe his health/safety) to make the "right" play.

Lord Ash
03-12-2013, 06:23 AM
I have also always been one to say "Hey, much better to defend than not!" but I think you can simultaneously say "Ouch, he got crushed!" on a dunk like that:)

Dev11
03-12-2013, 08:34 AM
he was just standing in the general vicinity

Oh no, he challenged the shot. He did everything he could do against a dude who has about 9 inches and 50 pounds on him. Unfortunately, physics won.

Props to Knight for taking it like a champ.

Lord Ash
03-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Yes yes, I was saying often people are just in the area and others say "OOHHHH posterized!" whereas Knight was actually trying to defend.

killerleft
03-12-2013, 08:47 AM
2 points.

1st point? It was 2 points.
2nd point? Hey, points is a funny-looking word!

FerryFor50
03-12-2013, 09:37 AM
I disagree with the notion that he should be applauded for "trying." There are calculated risks when playing defense. When you see a guy with about 9 inches and 50 pounds on you flying through the air, get out of the way, avoid the foul (which he committed and made it a 3 point play) and avoid possible injury. He wasn't in position to take a charge, so give the space up. That wasn't really good D. Good effort and heart, yes. And we've learned that Knight obviously doesn't back down, but at some point you have to understand your limits.

Black Mambo
03-12-2013, 12:19 PM
I disagree with the notion that he should be applauded for "trying." There are calculated risks when playing defense. When you see a guy with about 9 inches and 50 pounds on you flying through the air, get out of the way, avoid the foul (which he committed and made it a 3 point play) and avoid possible injury. He wasn't in position to take a charge, so give the space up. That wasn't really good D. Good effort and heart, yes. And we've learned that Knight obviously doesn't back down, but at some point you have to understand your limits.

Agreed with Ferry. it was a bad basketball play. Put another way, it was a dumb foul, giving an extra free throw opportunity. If he had stood outside the circle and attempted to take a charge, and in the process got "posterized", then that would be a reasonable basketball play (a la Greg Paulus and Virginia Tech). But instead, he jumped, and automatically put himself in no position to take a charge, thereby minimizing his basketball productivity and maximizing his "posterizability". Childish or not :P

At least he has a good sense of humor.

And I love the kids' reactions.

sporthenry
03-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Agreed with Ferry. it was a bad basketball play. Put another way, it was a dumb foul, giving an extra free throw opportunity. If he had stood outside the circle and attempted to take a charge, and in the process got "posterized", then that would be a reasonable basketball play (a la Greg Paulus and Virginia Tech). But instead, he jumped, and automatically put himself in no position to take a charge, thereby minimizing his basketball productivity and maximizing his "posterizability". Childish or not :P

At least he has a good sense of humor.

And I love the kids' reactions.

Deandre Jordan is a 43% FT shooter. Most times those fouls result in missed dunks. If Jordan misses that and bricks just 1 out of 2 FTs, then all of a sudden it is a +EV play. How often does he finish that? I'd say no more than 1 or 2 out of 10. I'd say that it was a good defensive play not even going into the fact that Knight was fairly close to blocking it.

crimsonandblue
03-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Deandre Jordan is a 43% FT shooter. Most times those fouls result in missed dunks. If Jordan misses that and bricks just 1 out of 2 FTs, then all of a sudden it is a +EV play. How often does he finish that? I'd say no more than 1 or 2 out of 10. I'd say that it was a good defensive play not even going into the fact that Knight was fairly close to blocking it.

You think Jordan is going to miss a dunk over a 6'3" guy ~85% of the time? You must read the same scouting reports as Knight.

I think Knight instinctively went for the ball in the air, came up a foot short, got hit by an airborne bus, and got pulverized. And that's going to happen 85% of the time on that play. He was great about it after, but there's no conscious decision on that play. He made an instinctive move and paid the price. It happens.

Still, it was one of the best dunks I've ever seen, and if you spend your time worrying over anything other than the power and ferocity and fun of the play, I think you're missing out.

sporthenry
03-12-2013, 01:58 PM
You think Jordan is going to miss a dunk over a 6'3" guy ~85% of the time? You must read the same scouting reports as Knight.

I think Knight instinctively went for the ball in the air, came up a foot short, got hit by an airborne bus, and got pulverized. And that's going to happen 85% of the time on that play. He was great about it after, but there's no conscious decision on that play. He made an instinctive move and paid the price. It happens.

Still, it was one of the best dunks I've ever seen, and if you spend your time worrying over anything other than the power and ferocity and fun of the play, I think you're missing out.

Well he also got fouled, so that might have been why he misses that. If Knight gets more of his arm and he loses the ball. And usually any time a guy goes up for a dunk and gets a slight nudge, he misses. So I'm going off of that.

I'm not missing much. I'm just arguing with people who say it was bad defense. I understand it was a great dunk and I can enjoy it at the same time giving Knight props for playing good defense.

FerryFor50
03-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Well he also got fouled, so that might have been why he misses that. If Knight gets more of his arm and he loses the ball. And usually any time a guy goes up for a dunk and gets a slight nudge, he misses. So I'm going off of that.

I'm not missing much. I'm just arguing with people who say it was bad defense. I understand it was a great dunk and I can enjoy it at the same time giving Knight props for playing good defense.

The people arguing that it was bad defense are arguing with the people who are saying it was good defense. So there! :p

DukeVol
03-18-2013, 09:44 PM
RIP Jason Terry... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asWAZpf7oaM)

Brandon Knight thanks you...

Favorite comment so far:

"I didn't know Jason Terry has Japanese blood in him, 'cause that was straight Kamikaze..." LOL

chaosmage
03-18-2013, 10:47 PM
with the key play with 7 seconds left! Who's your daddy!

theAlaskanBear
03-18-2013, 10:52 PM
with the key play with 7 seconds left! Who's your daddy!

I came here to say this. Shane with the play of the game. Stripping Green on what would have been a layup to tie the game.

FerryFor50
03-18-2013, 11:18 PM
I came here to say this. Shane with the play of the game. Stripping Green on what would have been a layup to tie the game.

I think they got the out of bounds call wrong, too. That was off Green. But Miami held serve and Battier had a fantastic play throwing the ball in off Pierce to seal the game...

sporthenry
03-18-2013, 11:36 PM
I think they got the out of bounds call wrong, too. That was off Green. But Miami held serve and Battier had a fantastic play throwing the ball in off Pierce to seal the game...

Personally, I hate that they review those plays so closely. That play is never called off the offensive player even though it happens all the time where he touches it on the follow through. I understand in blatant situations or even close ones but they are essentially calling the game differently for the last 4 minutes or whatever. I remember watching a game where the ball clearly went off one team but they got the ball. Three minutes later, same thing happened in reverse but they reviewed it and so one team got the benefit of 2 calls when they only should have gotten one. /rant

DukeHLM'13
03-18-2013, 11:46 PM
An Battier with the super headsy play to end the game throwing it off Pierce's back to run the last second off the clock. Always want smart(Duke!) players on your team down the stretch.

throatybeard
03-19-2013, 03:25 AM
An Battier with the super headsy play to end the game throwing it off Pierce's back to run the last second off the clock. Always want smart(Duke!) players on your team down the stretch.

On facebook, I heard it was Paul's butt-tocks. But I ain't seen it.

Furniture
03-19-2013, 06:20 AM
Back not buttocks!

oldnavy
03-19-2013, 09:44 AM
I really don't like the macho stuff after the dunk. I mean, if offensive players keep showing up defensive players who are trying to make a play on the ball, one of these guys is going to take exception and send the dunker flying.... could be a dangerous situation.

Ok LeBron, you dunked the ball, good fella'... now run back down the court and act like you've done it before. No need for the aggressive stare down.

If you really want to play physical, man up and suit up and run a few over the middle patterns in the NFL... you're built for it. See how you like playing a game where the defense gets to unload on you..

MulletMan
03-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Dear DBRers,

Please note that the posterizations of Brandon Knight and Jason Terry have been merged into one thread. Consider this thread a catch-all for NBA-related humiliation of the defender posts. At this time of year, the ratio of signal to noise on the board decreases significantly, so your faithful mods will be trying to consolidate threads that are related to make board reading easier for all.

Please use these threads when possible to post thoughts/videos on non-specific, non-Duke related items... such as NBA posterizations.

Thanks, guys and gals! And Happy March!

Ichabod Drain
03-19-2013, 11:14 AM
I really don't like the macho stuff after the dunk. I mean, if offensive players keep showing up defensive players who are trying to make a play on the ball, one of these guys is going to take exception and send the dunker flying.... could be a dangerous situation.

Ok LeBron, you dunked the ball, good fella'... now run back down the court and act like you've done it before. No need for the aggressive stare down.

If you really want to play physical, man up and suit up and run a few over the middle patterns in the NFL... you're built for it. See how you like playing a game where the defense gets to unload on you..

I don't think Jason Terry could send Lebron flying if he had a private jet. Also he was fouled on the play so running back down the court would have been silly.

oldnavy
03-19-2013, 11:38 AM
I don't think Jason Terry could send Lebron flying if he had a private jet. Also he was fouled on the play so running back down the court would have been silly.

Well, maybe not running back down the court, but I hope you got the overall point. No sense in posturing after the dunk. But it was even worse than posturing, LeBron clearly wanted to show up Terry when he took a step towards him and gave him the stare down.... It was an overly aggressive and totally uncalled for move by a player who is better than that.

FYI, any player can be sent flying when they are in the air, even LeBron. Simple physics, keep lower, take out his legs and boom.... called an undercut.

I am not advocating that someone should do that, but if the league doesn't send a strong message to the guys that feel the need to add insult to injury, then don't be surprised if a player isn't taken out at some point...

Besides, the dunk LeBron did was pretty unspectacular IMO. He is a 6'8" monster and he dunked on a 3 on 1 break, like we don't see that oh, a dozen times a night in the NBA. Why am I not that impressed, and even less impressed with the show after the dunk?

Black Mambo
03-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Well, maybe not running back down the court, but I hope you got the overall point. No sense in posturing after the dunk. But it was even worse than posturing, LeBron clearly wanted to show up Terry when he took a step towards him and gave him the stare down.... It was an overly aggressive and totally uncalled for move by a player who is better than that.

FYI, any player can be sent flying when they are in the air, even LeBron. Simple physics, keep lower, take out his legs and boom.... called an undercut.

I am not advocating that someone should do that, but if the league doesn't send a strong message to the guys that feel the need to add insult to injury, then don't be surprised if a player isn't taken out at some point...

Besides, the dunk LeBron did was pretty unspectacular IMO. He is a 6'8" monster and he dunked on a 3 on 1 break, like we don't see that oh, a dozen times a night in the NBA. Why am I not that impressed, and even less impressed with the show after the dunk?

Terry and James have some history, with Terry basically challenging and punking James in the 2011 finals. When Lebron dunked over what-his-face from Chicago, he did not such posturing. This posturing had a lot to do with the fact that A) it was Boston 2) it was over Terry. I'm not saying it's warranting, just saying they have some personal history.

edit: whats-his-face-from-Chicago = John Lucas

moonpie23
03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
LeBron clearly wanted to show up Terry when he took a step towards him and gave him the stare down....

Battier clearly wanted to show up Pierce with that high school punk move of bouncing the ball off his back too....lol..

these guys hate each other...

tele
03-19-2013, 04:48 PM

He may just have been happy he didn't drop the ball or miss the dunk, Lebron can't really palm the ball very well in one hand.

oldnavy
03-19-2013, 04:55 PM
He may just have been happy he didn't drop the ball or miss the dunk, Lebron can't really palm the ball very well in one hand.

Uh, no. He was taunting the dude on the floor. (You probably are kidding, but hard to tell without the icon.)

I just think that it is way "cooler" (do kids even say this any more?) to act like what you just did is no big deal. History or not, I think this kind of behavior is below a Lebron James. He doesn't need to do this junk, he is intimidating just being Lebron.

DeAndre Jordan's dunk face on the other hand was pretty funny... he didn't stand over BK like he was going to do an elbow drop on him (i.e, show him up more), he just went back down the court and saw the replay and reacted to that.

oldnavy
03-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Battier clearly wanted to show up Pierce with that high school punk move of bouncing the ball off his back too....lol..

these guys hate each other...

Yea but did he bow up on him after? Battier can't help the fact that he is just so much smarter than 99% of his peers! :p

CajunDevil
03-19-2013, 05:04 PM

Could it possibly be because you just don't like LeBron? What he did was gorgeous last night. Not only his masterful 37/7/12, game-winning shot... but flying through the air, fully extended and throwing down a thunderous dunk... it didn't really matter who was underneath him, but that it was Jason Terry made it all the better. Sure, I kinda wished LeBron would have held his hand out to help up Terry, but on the other hand, I loved what LeBron did. He stood there. That was what the dunk warranted... just stopping time to contemplate what just happened. I thought the Tech was absurd...

And, taking someone out while they are in the air is probably the worst (stupidest) thing anyone could do on a basketball court. And, if someone tried that with LeBron it would be a sad sad day for that person. Long live the KING!

oldnavy
03-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Could it possibly be because you just don't like LeBron? What he did was gorgeous last night. Not only his masterful 37/7/12, game-winning shot... but flying through the air, fully extended and throwing down a thunderous dunk... it didn't really matter who was underneath him, but that it was Jason Terry made it all the better. Sure, I kinda wished LeBron would have held his hand out to help up Terry, but on the other hand, I loved what LeBron did. He stood there. That was what the dunk warranted... just stopping time to contemplate what just happened. I thought the Tech was absurd...

And, taking someone out while they are in the air is probably the worst (stupidest) thing anyone could do on a basketball court. And, if someone tried that with LeBron it would be a sad sad day for that person. Long live the KING!

Well if you read my post I think you can see that I do in fact like Lebron because I think that Lebron is above the "punkish" theatrics. The techical was absolutely deserved. It is why they have the rule. In fact, Lebron's actions should be in the training video for refs, "Guys in case you need to see what it is, here is an example of taunting..."

If you think that Lebron wasn't trying to be intimidating or to taunt Terry, then I can't say anything that would change your mind.

Also, I don't want anyone to undercut anyone, that is why I think that the NBA needs to be quick about stopping this type of behavior before someone deciedes that they are not going to be "dis'd" and does something really, really dumb.

Plus the dunk wasn't anything great. Lebron can dunk the ball, we all know that. He can really dunk the ball when it is lobbed up for him in front of the rim, seen it hundreds of times. Not that impressive anymore. Heck the steal and the lob pass were more impressive basketball plays.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Here's another one that's just sick... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL1y8HoVtY0)

Oh, NBA posterizations...my bad. :)

Duvall
03-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Here's another one that's just sick... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL1y8HoVtY0)

They don't usually make posters out of turnovers.

pamtar
03-19-2013, 07:29 PM

That was a horrible call. Still, if Kyle plays defense there I highly doubt little dex could dunk over him...

juise
03-19-2013, 07:34 PM

Does the D-League make posters? If so, Dex may indeed end up on one someday.

My Dexter Strickland poster would be a photo of him shooting an airball to ruin his 26 trillion box score.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-19-2013, 07:58 PM
That was a horrible call. Still, if Kyle plays defense there I highly doubt little dex could dunk over him...

Change the jersey's to Kyrie doing that same move over HB and the board would be in an uproar over that call, it was pitiful.

That said, I was only having a little fun with you guys...glad to see most don't take it all too seriously.

FerryFor50
03-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Does the D-League make posters? If so, Dex may indeed end up on one someday.

My Dexter Strickland poster would be a photo of him shooting an airball to ruin his 26 trillion box score.

You're giving Dex wayyyyy too much credit. He's a Euroleaguer all the way.