PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie out for another month, most likely a season ending injury.

TheDukeCreed
03-11-2013, 03:12 PM
espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9040626/cleveland-cavaliers-kyrie-irving-3-4-weeks-shoulder-sprain (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9040626/cleveland-cavaliers-kyrie-irving-3-4-weeks-shoulder-sprain)

This guy needs to play in armor.

roywhite
03-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Love Kyrie and love his game, but I'm afraid we are looking at the dreaded term:

Injury-prone

dukelifer
03-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Love Kyrie and love his game, but I'm afraid we are looking at the dreaded term:

Injury-prone

Hmmm - not sure that is a surprise.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-11-2013, 03:28 PM
espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9040626/cleveland-cavaliers-kyrie-irving-3-4-weeks-shoulder-sprain (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9040626/cleveland-cavaliers-kyrie-irving-3-4-weeks-shoulder-sprain)

This guy needs to play in armor.

Poor guy. Get well soon Kyrie. BTW, the link didn't work for me; it may be broken?

_Gary
03-11-2013, 03:56 PM

Injury-prone

And that will be an absolute shame if true, because Kyrie is easily the Dukie with the most potential since Grant Hill to literally be "the guy". I'd hate to see him get sidetracked or set back after all he's done this year (and last). But darned if I'm not concerned about the same thing. :(

CDu
03-11-2013, 06:26 PM

Injury-prone

Strange. All of his injuries are to different body parts (toe, finger, face, shoulder), and none appear to be overuse injuries. Maybe he is just unlucky.

TheDukeCreed
03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9040626/cleveland-cavaliers-kyrie-irving-3-4-weeks-shoulder-sprain

Sorry :confused:, I seemed to have done something wrong in my first post. This should work now.

toooskies
03-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Bad news, but luckily something that should heal.

On the positive side, we'll see either meaningful improvement from the other young guys, or improvement in draft position, hopefully leading to future team success.

licc85
03-14-2013, 04:00 AM
In the last 2 and a half years:

Right big toe sprain
Concussion
Right shoulder sprain
Broken right hand
Broken left index finger
Broken jaw
Hyperextended right knee
Left shoulder sprain

The good news is that every injury is to a different body part, and that most of them are upper body injuries or injuries that don't seriously threaten his playing career. However, it's starting to seem like his bones are made of lesser material than most NBA players. He's certainly no Lebron James. 5 injuries in 1 year (3 bone fractures) due to pure coincidence seems unlikely. Frustrating year for Kyrie. I hope he plays a full season next year.

Well, on the bright side I guess they could always tank without him and somehow get the #1 pick . . . which isn't even worth that much this year. I guess they could use a guy like Nerlens Noel?

moonpie23
03-14-2013, 08:18 AM
we can rebuild him.....we have the technology....

Mike Corey
03-14-2013, 08:41 AM
http://www.todayifoundout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/milk.jpg

Just kidding. Sort of.

Get well soon again, Kyrie.

Lord Ash
03-14-2013, 09:11 AM
I've never seen... there isn't a medical "reason" or backing for the term "injury prone," right? Like... I don't know... someone with loose tendons or something? It is just a phrase I assume?

superdave
03-14-2013, 09:29 AM
I've never seen... there isn't a medical "reason" or backing for the term "injury prone," right? Like... I don't know... someone with loose tendons or something? It is just a phrase I assume?

I had a 1996 Mercury Mystique when I was younger. In college it was broken into twice with the CD player stolen both times. When I moved to DC I came out one morning to find it had been jacked up, wheels removed, and lowered back down. A couple of months later it got side-swiped while parked at work and I found the sideview mirror sitting about 100 feet away. Finally, it was mercifully laid to rest after some serious mechanical issues. I nicknamed that care the "Mystaque". The lesson here: Sometimes when it rains, it pours. My next car is in the midst of a great incident-free run.

Hopefully Kyrie is getting a career's worth of bumps, bruises and sprains out of the way early. He's too talented and too much fun to have this go on forever. It would be a shame.

IBleedBlue
03-14-2013, 09:39 AM
On court injuries...he will learn with time how to control and play smart in future so as not to injure himself....

Starter
03-14-2013, 10:01 AM
I went to a good half-dozen St. Pat's games when Kyrie was there, because why not? I live in New Jersey, and he was going to Duke, and he was one of the best high school players I'd ever seen. His handle was remarkable, and I loved watching him. My only misgiving is that while he had a pro-ready game, his body didn't look like much (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chamberoffear/5203597496/) to me, and a concern about him being able to hold up physically on the next level, not to mention the next-next level, kept crossing my mind. I figured he'd probably fill out at least a little with structured weight training at Duke, but then he spent most of his only year in Durham rehabbing his foot. Most of his injuries are obviously of the freak variety, but I hate to say it, I'd feel a lot more convinced by the people on this board insisting he could reach LeBron/Jordan levels if his body appeared built for it. Don't get me wrong, Kyrie is a wonderfully talented player who will be an All-Star every year he plays enough for consideration. But we can only hope he doesn't head down the Penny Hardaway route. (*Sigh.* I loved Penny.)