PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke @ UNC Pre-Game and In-Game thread

Pages : [1] 2

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-08-2013, 08:34 AM
A formality I suppose, but let's dig into it.

Go Duke!

dahntaysdawg
03-08-2013, 10:10 AM
A formality I suppose, but let's dig into it.

Go Duke!

I'm surprised it took this long to get this thread going. I have a lot of anxiety about this game, but with a good amount of time to prepare I feel pretty good. They dumped the 4 guard starting rotation on us last time, I can't imagine Roy having any more wrinkles to throw out there.

davekay1971
03-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Actually, there's a lot to dissect about this game. Duke and UNC are very different teams than they were in the first meeting. UNC has played several games in their new faux-Duke lineup, while Duke has got RK back.

The first question for me: How does Roy defend RK being back. Duke is a bigger team with RK, but at the same time spreads the court more with him. Roy's lineup of Strickland, Paige, Hairston, Bullock, and McAdoo would probably have Bullock on RK, McAdoo on Mason. In the second half of the last game, Mason just pounded McAdoo in the paint and JMM had no answer when Mase got him on the low post. And that was with Duke being unable to spread the court as well. With RK back, McAdoo is even less likely to get help defending Mase. Is Roy going to go bigger, then, to try to defend Mase? Or will he stick with the small-ball and hope McAdoo does a better job holding his own? I suspect, given the success UNC has had with their smaller linup, we're going to see Roy stick with it to start the game, then get some bigs in there if Duke is able to take advantage of the mismatch.

The second question: With RK back, does Duke had as much advantage over UNC's top scoring threats as I think? Sulaimon is perfectly built to defend Hairston, and I suspect that will be his primary defensive assignment. Similarly, Kelly has 3 inches on Bullock and Bullock's not fast enough to just go around him to the hoop. Kelly should be able to really bother Bullock's shot. Finally, JMM is hopeless doing anything other than dunks/drives/putbacks. If Mase stays home on him, he should be able to contain him nicely...unless JMM's developed a mid-range jumper in the last 3 days. Paige is a streaky shooter (his overall percentages are unimpressive), so Cook needs to stay on him AND prevent penetration - a nice challenge for Quinn and something he needs to step up to.

UNC, to their credit, is a better rebounding team than Duke despite the size issues. RK seemed to take Duke's rebounding deficiencies personally, so hopefully we'll start to see both our bigs working to control the glass. If UNC isn't getting second chances, they may have trouble keeping up.

UrinalCake
03-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Lots of matchup problems both ways, all over the court. Inside we've got the bigger Mason going against the smaller and quicker mcAdoo. How will they guard each other? Ryan and PJ Hairston are also totally different players and it will be interesting to see how they guard each other and whether one team can force the other to have to adjust to their style.

In the backcourt UNC is the team with the size advantage. Suliamon will probably be guarding Bullock with Seth guarding Strickland (does he start?). We've struggled against teams with bigger guards so this will be a challenge.

Overall I'm expecting a tight game with lots of momentum swings. In an ironic twist of fate, it may come down to how well UNC shoots threes (and how well we defend them). In the first game they were 5-18 and lost by 5. Hit a couple more, plus some free throws, and it's a different outcome.

AGDukesky
03-08-2013, 10:49 AM
On paper Duke should win but two key stats seem to make the difference in UNC winning lately - 3-point shooting and turnovers. UNC has needed a significant edge in one (or both) to win. In the last Duke game, its last defeat, Duke had a slight edge in 3-point shooting but lost the turnover battle by four. Of course, Duke typically plays worse on the road and UNC better at home (I know, shocking revelation for all teams). If Duke protects the ball and shoots a reasonable 3-point % then I don't think there is much UNC can do to get an advantage other than hope our defensive rebounding is non-existent (not as far-fetched as I would hope). I'm never optimistic at Chapel Hill unless the disparity between the teams is fairly large. However, this feels like one that would be really disappointing to lose since my main hope for most of the conference season was to have Kelly back for this game and able to contribute...

Matches
03-08-2013, 11:05 AM
We need Mason to play like he is capable. UNC's guards match up well with ours and Bullock even has the potential to disrupt Kelly somewhat, but UNC has no answer for Mason defensively. if he's on, they're in trouble.

freshmanjs
03-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Interesting that home court advantage does not seem to mean much in this series, where it means SO much in the rest of ACC play. In the last 20 matchups, the home team is 10-10. I really can't see why that would be the case unless travel is actually a bigger part of the reason for road difficulties than I thought.

MCFinARL
03-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Interesting that home court advantage does not seem to mean much in this series, where it means SO much in the rest of ACC play. In the last 20 matchups, the home team is 10-10. I really can't see why that would be the case unless travel is actually a bigger part of the reason for road difficulties than I thought.

Well, it does have to be a lot easier to have a "road" game that is literally up the road, so you don't have long travel time, etc. And it may also be that the intense nature of this particular rivalry puts a lot of pressure on the home team that offsets some of the typical home court advantage.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-08-2013, 11:49 AM
I like UNC in this one, but they will need to do a few things...

1)Continue to take care of the ball, they've been much better in the small line up.
2) look to attack the basket, especially McAdoo and Paige. That puts pressure on Mason defensively, and the likelihood of foul trouble for Mason rises.
3)make the open looks, they will get them.
4)never ease up guarding Curry. He will likely be the difference maker if Duke wins, not Kelly.
5) do not double Mason, I want the ball in his hands, play fundamental D and live with his game, look to draw offensive fouls, he makes a lot of mistakes with the ball.
6) deny/challenge the ball and face up set shot by Kelly, hello team, he can make 'em, Bullock takes him.

timmy c
03-08-2013, 12:08 PM
UNC has won it's last six games since going small. The few times I've seen them, they have considerably improved. They are quicker on the break, getting better shot selection and getting more minutes for their best offensive players, Bullock and Hairston.

Duke is going to have to have great games from several key players to walk away the victor.

Troublemaker
03-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Last time UNC had the extra day to prepare. This time Duke does.
Last time UNC sprung their smallball on us (and the world) for the very first time. This time there will be no surprise.
Last time the player we are undefeated with did not suit up. This time he plays.

Pressure psychology will be very different as well.
A team that has "no chance" to win can play more freely and easily. That was UNC at Cameron. This time, UNC and their fans expect to win. There's equal to more pressure on them now.
This is perhaps paradoxical to my last point, but prior to the last matchup, UNC's previous memory of playing Duke was their demolition of us at Cameron last season. They had the best of both worlds -- no pressure to win AND the confidence that they could; Bullock and Hairston played with the "we killed you last time" verve (to use a favorite Coach K word). This time they know they were outplayed in the last meeting after we adjusted to their smallball.
This time, they are playing not to get swept in front of their fans. Whole different ball of wax.

At least there will be no Senior Night pressure because no one gives a crap about Dexter Strickland.

Bob Green
03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
I like UNC in this one...

Shocking! I'm glad I was sitting down when I read your revelation. :D

The keys to the game will be:

1. Guarding the 3 PT line. Both teams have the ability to light it up from downtown.
2. Taking care of the basketball. Carolina has excelled converting turnovers into points with their small line-up.
3. Foul trouble. Neither team can afford to have their starters riding the pine.

Oh, and by the way, I like Duke in this one...:cool:

DukeAlumBS
03-08-2013, 12:27 PM
My frriends,
I love your points especially the psychology approach to this game. I am gonna make this very easy on all of you. The weatherman predicted 1 inch of snow. I have 1-2 feet of it! Stay out of upstate NY.
I see Duke clicking in this game with Kelly in. There is a nice article in another forum about Kelly, and how he affects teams done by a sports writer who is in the know. I am sure you saw it here. I think we will win this one nicely in UNC/CH. And will continue their wins this year. I am going all out on this team.

Have nice day, stay out of NY and Boston !

Jimmy

ikiru36
03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
At least there will be no Senior Night pressure because no one gives a crap about Dexter Strickland.

While the above is pretty hilariously true, there is a history of some fairly unsung Seniors (on both sides) stepping up in these games so beware taunting on that issue too much beforehand. Just sayin. :0)

Go Duke!!! Go Devils!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timmy c
03-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Last time UNC had the extra day to prepare. This time Duke does.
Last time UNC sprung their smallball on us (and the world) for the very first time. This time there will be no surprise.
Last time the player we are undefeated with did not suit up. This time he plays.

Pressure psychology will be very different as well.
A team that has "no chance" to win can play more freely and easily. That was UNC at Cameron. This time, UNC and their fans expect to win. There's equal to more pressure on them now.
This is perhaps paradoxical to my last point, but prior to the last matchup, UNC's previous memory of playing Duke was their demolition of us at Cameron last season. They had the best of both worlds -- no pressure to win AND the confidence that they could; Bullock and Hairston played with the "we killed you last time" verve (to use a favorite Coach K word). This time they know they were outplayed in the last meeting after we adjusted to their smallball.
This time, they are playing not to get swept in front of their fans. Whole different ball of wax.

Interesting analysis. You've identified several psychology barriers for success but you haven't mentioned the psychological boost a young team gets from playing at home. UNC is 8-1 at home with the only loss coming to Miami, by 6. In addition, UNC's best non-conference win came at home against UNLV.

Wander
03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Play physical. Post up Kelly and Mason and make UNC pay for their small lineup. Carolina sucks at getting opponents into foul trouble.

Dev11
03-08-2013, 12:42 PM
While the above is pretty hilariously true, there is a history of some fairly unsung Seniors (on both sides) stepping up in these games so beware taunting on that issue too much beforehand. Just sayin. :0)

So we're looking at Todd's first double-double?

Bob Green
03-08-2013, 12:46 PM
If Mase stays home on him, he should be able to contain him nicely...unless JMM's developed a mid-range jumper in the last 3 days.

Excellent analysis overall, but I disagree slightly re JMM and his jumpshot. I've watched a lot of Carolina basketball this season and I've observed JMM make the turn around/face up jumper. His range is probably only 8-10 feet where he needs to be able to make that shot out to 12-15 feet to be truly effecticve, but JMM can knockdown a jumpshot.

With Kelly playing, we know Duke will effectively spread the court so I am hopeful we will pound the ball inside to Mason and force JMM to play low post defense. In that scenario, I believe it is a matter of "how soon" JMM is in foul trouble rather than "if" he is in foul trouble. With Kelly's excellent passing skills, I believe an effective high-low game will benefit Duke tremendously.

As an addendum to my earlier posted keys, add foul shooting. It isn't good enough to get to the line, it is necessary to make the bonus shots.

Lar77
03-08-2013, 12:49 PM
My frriends,
I love your points especially the psychology approach to this game. I am gonna make this very easy on all of you. The weatherman predicted 1 inch of snow. I have 1-2 feet of it! Stay out of upstate NY.
I see Duke clicking in this game with Kelly in. There is a nice article in another forum about Kelly, and how he affects teams done by a sports writer who is in the know. I am sure you saw it here. I think we will win this one nicely in UNC/CH. And will continue their wins this year. I am going all out on this team.

Have nice day, stay out of NY and Boston !

Jimmy

I got out of Boston just in time yesterday. That was all before the snow accumulated and the winds picked up

On the coming storm tomorrow night, I see it as a typical UNC-Duke game. On paper (and eyeball), they cannot match up well. Plumlee is clearly superior to McaWho and with Kelly in (assuming Hairston is on him) they can't double Mason or put Hairston on Seth. Quinn is better than Paige, who is not too quick. And then there is Rasheed. Defensively, we can guard the 3s. Our only risk is their aggressiveness on passes leading to breaks (which they do well).

However, paper doesn't beat scissors or win games. We need a major effort from our starters and our three main bench players. Will Ryan continue his otherworldly play (averaging 27 in last 2 and 26 in the last 3, including Clemson)? Will Seth continue his outstanding play? Can we close out better than we did against Miami? Will we be as off as we were at the start of Vatech?

We know who they are. It's time to rip their hearts out so it will be easier to get tickets to the ACC.

Billy Dat
03-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Watzone has a nice string of tweets covering K's pre-game presser over on Twitter

@BlueDevilNation

Wheat/"/"/"
03-08-2013, 01:15 PM

Strickland has been playing very well lately. I saw somewhere he had something like 30 assists against 3 TO's in his last six games. If that stat is correct, it's very impressive.

tele
03-08-2013, 01:37 PM
after roy's sneak attack lineup in the last matchup, going small in imitation of their nearest rivals, this game may revert to previous approaches. Imitation may be flattering but imitations are also known not to last as long as originals. I expect roy to stick with his small lineup to start but at some point, maybe at the half to begin to use his bench more to try and push the pace and try and test the endurance of kelly and seth. I don't know why he would think this would work or why he would try this other than falling back into old habits, and dadgummit you know he wants to....

Kedsy
03-08-2013, 01:40 PM
In the Duke/UNC rivalry since Coach K has been to Duke, when one team is ranked and the other unranked, the ranked team has won 20 and lost 4. The four wins by unranked teams were: Duke in 1981 at home, UNC both games in 1990, and UNC in 2003 at home.

When one of the teams is in the top five an the other is unranked, the top five team has won 13 and lost 1 (the one by a visitor on the ranked team's home court, UNC in 1990 @ #5 Duke).

What does this mean for tomorrow? Not much, obviously, except to say Duke should have a pretty good chance to win.

CarmenWallaceWade
03-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Several things have to happen for us to win this game, but Mason's ability to play well on both ends will be the biggest factor. On offense Kelly stretches the D and puts Mason one on one with James Mackeral McAdoo or (insert inferior opponent guarding him). If he catches the ball down low, and doesn't get doubled, he should have his way all evening. If he catches it too far off the block, queue the offensive foul call or turnover. Away from the rim is not his game. On D, look for the quicker Mackeral to draw him from the basket and try to drive by him (see first game). Mason has to stay in front and force jump shots. Else he will foul early and often and catch most of the game court side.

Kedsy
03-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Several things have to happen for us to win this game...

Obviously, Duke could lose. UNC is a pretty good team and if they play well while Duke plays poorly, the home team will win.

However, if Duke brings its "A" game and UNC also brings its "A" game, Duke should win. Thus the only thing that has to happen for us to win the game is Duke needs to bring it for 40 minutes.

oldnavy
03-08-2013, 01:57 PM
I think that Rasheed will be the difference maker in this game. I believe he will get the least amount of defensive pressure/help, so if he can beat his man off the dribble and make some plays, everything else will open up.

Teams that give us trouble are the ones with really quick guards that get into the lane off the high screens. UNC has not done this as much, (I watched the Md game with an eye for this) but they can do it. If we guard that play as well as we did in the last minutes of the Miami game, we should be ok.

UNC looks very similar to us on offense. Basically perimeter players looking for an open shot. We need to limit their open looks by going over screens and making good switches.

Again, I think the game will hindge on Rasheed. Just a gut feeling.

Troublemaker
03-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Interesting analysis. You've identified several psychology barriers for success but you haven't mentioned the psychological boost a young team gets from playing at home. UNC is 8-1 at home with the only loss coming to Miami, by 6. In addition, UNC's best non-conference win came at home against UNLV.

They ARE pretty young, aren't they? And Duke is pretty veteran. I can just see our 3 seniors waltzing in there and ripping UNC's hearts out.

The crowd? I expect they'll be more of a burden to UNC's team than an ally tomorrow. Don't let down those powder-blued fatcats, young'uns.

9pm. Primetime. ESPN Gameday. The whole nation watching.

I just think it's going to be one of those games where when it's over, we'll all be like, "Oh yeah! Duh. Experience!"

(But I recognize it's expected to be a good game. Vegas will probably have it lined at Duke -1.5 or thereabouts.)

timmy c
03-08-2013, 02:23 PM
They ARE pretty young, aren't they? And Duke is pretty veteran. I can just see our 3 seniors waltzing in there and ripping UNC's hearts out.

The crowd? I expect they'll be more of a burden to UNC's team than an ally tomorrow. Don't let down those powder-blued fatcats, young'uns.

9pm. Primetime. ESPN Gameday. The whole nation watching.

I just think it's going to be one of those games where when it's over, we'll all be like, "Oh yeah! Duh. Experience!"

(But I recognize it's expected to be a good game. Vegas will probably have it lined at Duke -1.5 or thereabouts.)

Kenpom lists UNC as the as the 303rd ranked team based on experience. They are young and experience will be a factor. However, I think it won't be as big a factor home. Why don't you think they get a boost playing at home?

oldnavy
03-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Kenpom lists UNC as the as the 303rd ranked team based on experience. They are young and experience will be a factor. However, I think it won't be as big a factor home. Why don't you think they get a boost playing at home?

They play better at home it seems. But they have played pretty well going back to the lineup change. They gave us more than we wanted and could have easily won that game. (I hope Ryan's absence was partly to blame).

This rivalry is odd in that it seems that the home team is at a disadvantage to me. I believe the away team comes in looser and the home team plays tighter. Not sure why, except maybe the pressure is more on the home team to do well in front of their fans??

UNC has been getting off to fast starts in their games of late which builds their confidence. I hope we can slow them out of the gate. Not that we need to get up big (that would be great), but we need to keep them close (one possession or two) to prevent a big run.

I really want our guards (Cook and Rasheed) to get into the lane on them. They love to help and leave open shooters when that happens, so I hope to see that as a big part of our game plan.

They defend the perimeter pretty good when teams just rotate the ball. Penetration is key, that is why I want Rasheed to get into the lane early and often.

gwlaw99
03-08-2013, 02:46 PM
I wonder if Coach K will try to press and trap Paige (8 turnovers v Maryland) from the get go. Maryland was very successful the last few minutes in trapping him. I think pressuring Paige is one real advantage that hasn't be discussed much.

Saratoga2
03-08-2013, 02:46 PM
They play better at home it seems. But they have played pretty well going back to the lineup change. They gave us more than we wanted and could have easily won that game. (I hope Ryan's absence was partly to blame).

This rivalry is odd in that it seems that the home team is at a disadvantage to me. I believe the away team comes in looser and the home team plays tighter. Not sure why, except maybe the pressure is more on the home team to do well in front of their fans??

UNC has been getting off to fast starts in their games of late which builds their confidence. I hope we can slow them out of the gate. Not that we need to get up big (that would be great), but we need to keep them close (one possession or two) to prevent a big run.

I really want our guards (Cook and Rasheed) to get into the lane on them. They love to help and leave open shooters when that happens, so I hope to see that as a big part of our game plan.

They defend the perimeter pretty good when teams just rotate the ball. Penetration is key, that is why I want Rasheed to get into the lane early and often.

We have had a number of games where we were lethargic at the start and that put us behind by a significant amount. We were able to make that us but probably would not against a very good team. The message is come out and play hard from the tip off on!

jcastranio
03-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Last time (and in several recent games) teams have been able to spread us out and drive on us, particularly in the first half. The Heels' small lineup would indicate that they would have success with that. How well will our defense react and respond to the drive or drive and kick? How well will UNC shoot the 3 ball?

I think we will have a solid game offensively (maybe a slow start or rough patch somewhere, but we will play well).

So ... it boils down to defending the drive, at least a modest game on the defensive boards, and not having some insane 3 point show from UNC.

I think Duke jumps on them early (11-4), hits a rough patch (18-21), then goes into the half tied at 38. Second half, everyone is settled in, and it is a slow "pull-away" (new word?). 4 point lead, then 8, finally up to 14. UNC presses and cuts it to 6 by the end. Duke 82-76.

Kedsy
03-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Why don't you think they get a boost playing at home?

In the Duke/UNC rivalry since Coach K has been at Duke, the lower-rated team has won 26 times and lost 50 times. Of the 26 wins, 11 have come at home, 11 have come on the road and 4 have come at the ACC tournament. So history suggests that being the home team doesn't give the underdog any more of an advantage than being the road team.

#1Duke
03-08-2013, 03:04 PM
This is a completely different UNC team than the one we faced in Feb. They have been playing very well and have adapted to their small line up and are peeking at this time.
They have shown that they are capable of defending bigs effectively with this line up.
Last meeting on our turf they shot 37% for the game. I don't think that will be the case on their home floor and expect that percentage to be substantially higher.
I don't look for UNC to fold in the second half of this game like they did in the first match up.
Home court advantage, a team playing much better late in the season, and the incentive that naturally comes with playing Duke add up to what should be a great game.

Mason and Ryan will have to show up big time. Mason is going to have smaller defenders on him again. He has the advantage and I'm hoping for a BIG performance from him. Somewhere around 26/28 points and 12 rebounds.
Ryan will be hard to defend and I'm hoping he goes off again for another high scoring game.
I think our guards are going to be defended well and perimeter defense will be strong from the Heels.

I think a win for us will be in the hands of Mason and Ryan.... if they BOTH show up, we should win in a tough game.

Bluedog
03-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Refs on Saturday are supposedly Roger Ayers, Les Jones, and Tim Nestor...at least no Hess.

grad_devil
03-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Refs on Saturday are supposedly Roger Ayers, Les Jones, and Tim Nestor...at least no Hess.

Isn't Ayers the guy from the UVA game? Oh sheesh...

oldnavy
03-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Isn't Ayers the guy from the UVA game? Oh sheesh...

Well, good thing that UNC isn't that physical of a team, so we should be OK....

timmy c
03-08-2013, 03:47 PM
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina coach Roy Williams said he is “concerned” about forward James Michael McAdoo, who sat out a shortened shooting-only practice Thursday because of a sore back.

But prior to practice on Friday, the sophomore starter said his lingering back issues won’t impact him during Saturday’s regular-season finale against No. 3 Duke: “No, not at all. I can honestly say that.” ...

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/78639/uncs-mcadoo-managing-a-bulging-disk

Matches
03-08-2013, 03:50 PM
I look forward to McAdoo's inevitable 45 pt, 33 reb, 8 assist, 7 block performance tomorrow. Never trust the UNC Department of Disinformation.

rsvman
03-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Anybody else notice that UNC went into a delay offense in the game against Maryland?

I don't watch that many UNC games, but I don't think I've ever seen them do that before. Curiously, it was run almost exactly the way Coach K runs his "stall ball."

Hmmmm.....Roy actually COACHING an end-game situation?!? I don't like it one little bit. Had he done that last year we would have lost the game.

So, from my perspective what that means is that we can't allow ourselves to get down 10 points or more in the last 5 minutes of the game. In previous years that was no problem, because they would jack up an ill-advised shot 5 seconds into the shot clock and give us a boatload of possessions. From what I saw in the Maryland game, they won't do that tomorrow.

oldnavy
03-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Anybody else notice that UNC went into a delay offense in the game against Maryland?

I don't watch that many UNC games, but I don't think I've ever seen them do that before. Curiously, it was run almost exactly the way Coach K runs his "stall ball."

Hmmmm.....Roy actually COACHING an end-game situation?!? I don't like it one little bit. Had he done that last year we would have lost the game.

So, from my perspective what that means is that we can't allow ourselves to get down 10 points or more in the last 5 minutes of the game. In previous years that was no problem, because they would jack up an ill-advised shot 5 seconds into the shot clock and give us a boatload of possessions. From what I saw in the Maryland game, they won't do that tomorrow.

I did notice that. Why is Roy actually coaching instead of just waving his arms and yelling FASTER, FASTER?
This IS a troubling development.

Bob Green
03-08-2013, 04:18 PM
McAdoo with a bad back?

McAdoo took a spill under the basket in the Maryland game and immediately grabbed his lower back. The announcers went on and on about his knee buckling, but McAdoo's immediate reaction was to grab his lower back. I'm sure he will play; however, he does have an issue with his back. This isn't a case of UNC disinformation. Damn, am I defending the Heels? Stuff happens...

oldnavy
03-08-2013, 04:32 PM
McAdoo took a spill under the basket in the Maryland game and immediately grabbed his lower back. The announcers went on and on about his knee buckling, but McAdoo's immediate reaction was to grab his lower back. I'm sure he will play; however, he does have an issue with his back. This isn't a case of UNC disinformation. Damn, am I defending the Heels? Stuff happens...

Yep, he went to the sideline and the trainor was working on what appeared to be the left side of his lower back. He did go back in the game and play about as well as he was before he went down (not great). I expect he will be on the court getting his full allottment of minutes Saturday night. Wheter or not he is hampered by the back is a different story.

JasonEvans
03-08-2013, 05:07 PM

Despite Ayers association with the UVA game, this is a fairly decent crew, I think.

Ayers also did our games this year against FSU, Clemson, Cornell, and the Kentucky game. He reffed last year's Duke-UNC game where Carolina won so he knows the atmosphere of Duke-UNC.

Tim Nestor did the home BC game where we blew them out. He also did the close game at Wake and did both Cornell and Delaware in the early season. He did last year's Duke-UNC game where Austin hit the game-winner.

Les Jones also did the BC home game and the FSU game in Tally. He did the Maryland game at Duke and the NC State loss. Jones is one of the top officials in the country. He reffed the ACC championship game last year and reffed NCAA Tournament games all the way up to the Final Four game between Kentucky and Louisville. He did the Final Four game between Kentucky and UConn in 2010. Dude has done his share of big, big games.

-Jason "now, watch the officiating be just terrible in the game!!" Evans

AGDukesky
03-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Despite Ayers association with the UVA game, this is a fairly decent crew, I think.

Ayers also did our games this year against FSU, Clemson, Cornell, and the Kentucky game. He reffed last year's Duke-UNC game where Carolina won so he knows the atmosphere of Duke-UNC.

Tim Nestor did the home BC game where we blew them out. He also did the close game at Wake and did both Cornell and Delaware in the early season. He did last year's Duke-UNC game where Austin hit the game-winner.

Les Jones also did the BC home game and the FSU game in Tally. He did the Maryland game at Duke and the NC State loss. Jones is one of the top officials in the country. He reffed the ACC championship game last year and reffed NCAA Tournament games all the way up to the Final Four game between Kentucky and Louisville. He did the Final Four game between Kentucky and UConn in 2010. Dude has done his share of big, big games.

-Jason "now, watch the officiating be just terrible in the game!!" Evans

Kentucky and UConn in 2010? Crap I knew our championship was just a dream...

DukeHoo
03-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Some of my UNC friends are saying that McAdoo will be out tomorrow because of a bulging disc. I guess we'll find out for certain soon.

DukeHoo
03-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Of course, as soon as I post that, I see a tweet saying that McAdoo will play despite the back issues: https://twitter.com/bylinerp/status/310115733923323906

devildeac
03-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Play physical. Post up Kelly and Mason and make UNC pay for their small lineup. Carolina sucks at getting opponents into foul trouble.

Unless we get the uva crew:mad:..

devildeac
03-08-2013, 06:12 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/78639/uncs-mcadoo-managing-a-bulging-disk

He'll be out there after his ambulance ride and have a career performance (:rolleyes:).

roywhite
03-08-2013, 08:04 PM
He'll be out there after his ambulance ride and have a career performance (:rolleyes:).

Reminiscent of Phil "Lazarus" Ford?

El-Deano used to whine about how Ford was hurt, might not be able to play, and Ford would go out, score a bunch, and run that stupid Four Corners thing.

dukebballcamper90-91
03-08-2013, 08:25 PM
GTHC!!!!!!!!

BD80
03-08-2013, 10:06 PM

Classic, albeit predictable, move by ol' roy. Make excuses early.

I hear jimmymikeymac strained his back carrying an actual book in an actual backpack to an actual class. It was something he hadn't done before AFAM went down.

gofurman
03-08-2013, 10:24 PM
This is a completely different UNC team than the one we faced in Feb. They have been playing very well and have adapted to their small line up and are peeking at this time.
They have shown that they are capable of defending bigs effectively with this line up.
Last meeting on our turf they shot 37% for the game. I don't think that will be the case on their home floor and expect that percentage to be substantially higher.
I don't look for UNC to fold in the second half of this game like they did in the first match up.
Home court advantage, a team playing much better late in the season, and the incentive that naturally comes with playing Duke add up to what should be a great game.

Mason and Ryan will have to show up big time. Mason is going to have smaller defenders on him again. He has the advantage and I'm hoping for a BIG performance from him. Somewhere around 26/28 points and 12 rebounds.
Ryan will be hard to defend and I'm hoping he goes off again for another high scoring game.
I think our guards are going to be defended well and perimeter defense will be strong from the Heels.

I think a win for us will be in the hands of Mason and Ryan.... if they BOTH show up, we should win in a tough game.

Yes I know Kelly didn't play last time but seriously we Barely won at home (simply a matter of ft percentage )... Unc hits free throws they would have knocked off top 5 duke in Cameron and been the only team to do so all year! To wit: Vegas has UNC winning by one as of ten pm on Friday. I don't know where all this duke confidence comes from. UNC is MUCH better than early in the year, they are at home and they will be jacked up. All this from a team we survived bc they couldn't hit a Ft down the stretch in CIs. I'll be elated if duke wins and not at all shocked if we lose. I say it's almost a coin flip

simmias
03-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Yes I know Kelly didn't play last time but seriously we Barely won at home (simply a matter of ft percentage )... Unc hits free throws they would have knocked off top 5 duke in Cameron and been the only team to do so all year! To wit: Vegas has UNC winning by one as of ten pm on Friday. I don't know where all this duke confidence comes from. UNC is MUCH better than early in the year, they are at home and they will be jacked up. All this from a team we survived bc they couldn't hit a Ft down the stretch in CIs. I'll be elated if duke wins and not at all shocked if we lose. I say it's almost a coin flip
Yikes, unranked home team favored against ranked team is the best betting play in all of college basketball. It hits well over 60% of the time, and that's just to cover, not straight up. Although in this situation it's pretty much one and the same.

Although public money is going on the holes, which kind of bucks the trend. Line has already moved to -1.5.

Kedsy
03-09-2013, 12:44 AM
To wit: Vegas has UNC winning by one as of ten pm on Friday. I don't know where all this duke confidence comes from.

No question, UNC could win, but to be favored? That's crazy. In my mind, the Duke confidence is coming from the fact that Duke is a much better team. Line 'em up, and I'd rather have Duke's guy at all five positions. I guess we'll see who's right in about 22 hours.

Coballs
03-09-2013, 04:52 AM
Curry is probably the key player in this one. Plumlee and Kelly will get their points. But if Curry knocks down his 3's and stays in front of Bullock/Hairston, we'll be fine.

Duvall
03-09-2013, 06:20 AM
No question, UNC could win, but to be favored? That's crazy. In my mind, the Duke confidence is coming from the fact that Duke is a much better team. Line 'em up, and I'd rather have Duke's guy at all five positions. I guess we'll see who's right in about 22 hours.

I suppose it's possible that Vegas is giving UNC 3.5 points for homecourt and another 3.5 points or so for Roger Ayers.

dukelifer
03-09-2013, 07:14 AM

UNC has missed free throws all year. In the first matchup neither team played well. UNC was actually worse in all categories except offensive rebounding. Duke needs to limit second chance points and Kelly will help here. This should be a close game but the notion that UNC out played Duke except for free throws in the last matchup is not correct.

Saratoga2
03-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Curry is probably the key player in this one. Plumlee and Kelly will get their points. But if Curry knocks down his 3's and stays in front of Bullock/Hairston, we'll be fine.

In my view the keys will be Mason (will he show up and play hard) and Rasheed (will he be able to have one of his better days). If those two can do the job then we have very solid and dependable guys in Ryan, Quinn and Seth. If all parts click together, this is a tough team to beat.

slower
03-09-2013, 07:53 AM
But if Curry knocks down his 3's and stays in front of Bullock/Hairston, we'll be fine.

Neither one of which is a sure thing. Not at all.

davekay1971
03-09-2013, 08:09 AM

I'm anything but swimming in cockiness on this one...I think UNC has been playing very well since the first Duke-UNC game and they've clearly earned, not just a place in the NCAAT, but a seed in the 5-6 range. Pretty good for a team that was on the bubble the last time we played them.

However, I believe that RK makes a bigger difference than (1) UNC getting used to their new lineup and (2) UNC having home court. As has been covered upthread, home court may not mean much in this series, so consider that a wash. UNC undoubtedly has gotten more proficient at the small ball lineup since they've used it for several games now, so they're probably better than they were when we last played them.

But RK makes all the difference, at both ends. We're not unbeatable with Ryan, but we're a lot harder to beat. There's plenty of analysis on the benefits he brings on offense and defense, so I won't rehash it all now, but suffice it so say that we are much, much harder to guard with Ryan in the lineup, and our help defense is much better with Ryan. If he also brings improved rebounding, which I think he will, Duke is a vastly superior team in all phases of the game with Ryan than we were without him.

I don't follow betting lines or performance against the spread all that closely, but it's been my feeling that Vegas has underestimated the Ryan impact. IIRC, Duke rarely covered the Vegas spread without Ryan in the lineup. We may see the opposite effect now, with Vegas not giving enough credit to the impact of Ryan being back. Hopefully that's the case, because I don't want to spend the next week hearing all the UNC fans around here boasting about how UNC tied Duke for 2nd in the ACC. Those people have gotten a little strut back, and that needs to be beaten from them quickly and brutally.

roywhite
03-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Lots of great videos from Duke Blue Planet; try this one to start your Duke--Carolina day.

Duke Basketball: X's and O's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBfU_wCQeLo)

moonpie23
03-09-2013, 08:46 AM
that's pretty awesome,.....man....

dukebballcamper90-91
03-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Let's go duke!

jipops
03-09-2013, 09:45 AM
We turned the ball over too much in the 1st half in the previous matchup. We'll need a much better floor game from Quinn to have a chance to win this game. If we allow them to get in transition then we're toast.

ChicagoHeel
03-09-2013, 09:51 AM
This will be an interesting game, but I think we will pull out a win, primarily because we have performed so much better at home and you have not played well on the road. I can't think of a quality win for you in a true road game. I thought the reason we lost the first game was (1) your very solid second half D and (2) our below average 3P%. The latter was partly a function of the former, but we also missed some in the first half. I would expect those to go in at home.

I do worry about Kelly's return, not so much for the points he might score- I think PJ will defend him tightly- but for how he will open things up for Mason. Despite his numbers, I thought Mason underperformed in the first game and do not expect a repeat performance.

Aside from the fact that we are playing at home, my confidence stems from the improved play of our guards. The scoring and assist to TO ratio has been way up over the last six games. Having guards who can attack are always a key to beating any team, but especially Duke.

I expect both teams' primary players will get their numbers and none of them will dominate the game like Kelly did against Miami. It will come down to role players. Thornton really hurt us last time; let's hope McDonald can return the favor this time.

Unfortunately, I will miss the game. I hope that turns out to be as regrettable as it presently feels.

Duke76
03-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Lots of great videos from Duke Blue Planet; try this one to start your Duke--Carolina day.

Duke Basketball: X's and O's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBfU_wCQeLo)

with pride and emotion...end of story

timmy c
03-09-2013, 10:20 AM
We turned the ball over too much in the 1st half in the previous matchup. We'll need a much better floor game from Quinn to have a chance to win this game. If we allow them to get in transition then we're toast.

This is the key to the game. UNC leads the ACC in steals and turnovers and they turn those into fast break points. Duke turns the ball over the least in the ACC. If they can win the turnover battle, they win the game.

NCSWolf
03-09-2013, 10:43 AM
As a Wuffie, we have our own work to do today on the road @ FSU. That said, a Duke beat down of the smurfs tonight in their house would warm my ancient red and white heart. I may be wrong of course, but I believe the key may be limiting your turnovers and your transition defense. Heels get a lot of points from transition. Go get em! :)

superdave
03-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Some good analysis of the matchups in this thread. Recall that Duke gave up 20 offensive boards to Unc last time, including 7 to Hairston. Unc surprised Duke with the small lineup, and did the spread-drive-kick-crash thing. We'll have more size and defensive prowess with Ryan back and will have game-planned for the smaller lineup this time. Take away the rebounding advantage, or at least mitigate it, and Unc has to hit all their jumpers.

Duke has had some slow starts to games. If that happens tonight, Unc had better take full advantage, especially considering how well Duke played in the second half last time. Unc couldnt stop Quinn from penetrating and Mason woke up. If Duke comes out more focused and start at least even with Unc, I am not sure Unc has any tricks up their sleeve to fool a veteran Duke team, and doesnt have enough firepower to outscore a Duke team that can play solid D when they so desire.

Duke is simply a better team by a significant margin. A lot of things must go right for Unc to win, and I think Duke is prepared to counter them.

GTHC

oldnavy
03-09-2013, 11:19 AM
This is a quote from the Luke Winn article. It is Coach K speaking of Rasheed. “He’s not getting their best shot,” Krzyzewski said. “Seth is, and you’ve got to have someone on the ball. How do you take advantage of that?”

To me, this is the key to the game. Of course we need Mase, Seth, Quinn and RK to play well, but I look for us to try and take advantage of Suliamon and his matchup. Rasheed needs to drive the lane and get to the rim, which I think he is very capable of doing.

If he can do that... well I just think that this will be a very interesting thing to watch for early on. If he can get by his man (Bullock??) there is really no one to rotate over to help. McAdoo is not a great help defender, and if he does roll off of Mase to help, then the lob is just waiting...

Rasheed has played a little spotty lately, but if the coaches set up some isolation plays for him and he gets rolling, he could go off.

All sounds good in theory, but putting it together on the floor will be a little harder to do.

All in all it should be a good game to watch. It's going to be late night, PLUS we lose that hour of sleep.... the preacher better bring his A game tomorrow or I may be nodding off!!

unafiliated
03-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Its the third ranked team in the country versus an unranked team. Game over.

davekay1971
03-09-2013, 11:47 AM

Appreciate the confidence, but I can give you two examples this season of where an unranked team playing at home against Duke proved there is a reason we actually play the games. Throw in the narrow escape we pulled in Boston and make it three examples.

This is an important game for UNC, for a lot of reasons. Win and they claim a tie with us for 2nd place in the conference standings. Win and they likely appear in the top 25 polls on Monday. Win and they make an argument to boost their seed solidly above the 6-7 area and improve their odds of not running into a team like Michigan State in the 2nd round. And it's their senior night. And it's against a top 5 Duke team.

UNC is going to bring their best. If we counter with our best, we win. If we come in feeling like we will just roll over them, it will be game over, but not in the way we want.

timmy c
03-09-2013, 11:52 AM
If he can do that... well I just think that this will be a very interesting thing to watch for early on. If he can get by his man (Bullock??) there is really no one to rotate over to help. McAdoo is not a great help defender, and if he does roll off of Mase to help, then the lob is just waiting...

Rasheed has played a little spotty lately, but if the coaches set up some isolation plays for him and he gets rolling, he could go off.

I believe that PJ Hairston will be on Rasheed tonight; he's 6-5 with a 6-9 wingspan. This is a tough matchup for the freshman, Sulaimon.

I don't think Rasheed has to win the matchup, but, as you suggest, just keep PJ honest so that he can't help off him. On the defensive end, boxing PJ out needs to be a top priority. This will be true for Thorton/Murphy when they play minutes.

ncexnyc
03-09-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm thirsty and need more free sodas. Go Duke!

Olympic Fan
03-09-2013, 12:08 PM
I believe that PJ Hairston will be on Rasheed tonight; he's 6-5 with a 6-9 wingspan. This is a tough matchup for the freshman, Sulaimon.

I don't think Rasheed has to win the matchup, but, as you suggest, just keep PJ honest so that he can't help off him. On the defensive end, boxing PJ out needs to be a top priority. This will be true for Thorton/Murphy when they play minutes.

That matchup would certainly be a shock -- Hairston has been playing and guarding the "four" position in UNC's small lineup -- if he guards Rasheed, who guards Kelly?

The expected matchups would be McAdoo on Mason; Hairston on Kelly; Bullock on Curry; Paige on Cook and Strickland on Rasheed. At least that's the way they matched up last time. They could switch Bullock and Strickland on Curry and Sulaimon, but the whole point of K's quote is that Curry gets the other team's best wing defender -- and that's the 6-7 Bullock.

Strickland on Rasheed is still a tough matchup -- Strick is a 6-3 senior with good defensive skills.

jv001
03-09-2013, 12:26 PM
This is a quote from the Luke Winn article. It is Coach K speaking of Rasheed. “He’s not getting their best shot,” Krzyzewski said. “Seth is, and you’ve got to have someone on the ball. How do you take advantage of that?”

To me, this is the key to the game. Of course we need Mase, Seth, Quinn and RK to play well, but I look for us to try and take advantage of Suliamon and his matchup. Rasheed needs to drive the lane and get to the rim, which I think he is very capable of doing.

All sounds good in theory, but putting it together on the floor will be a little harder to do.

All in all it should be a good game to watch. It's going to be late night, PLUS we lose that hour of sleep.... the preacher better bring his A game tomorrow or I may be nodding off!!

My preacher always brings his "A" game and to top it off he's a big Duke fan. But we sure have many more tarhole fans in the congregation than Duke fans. But most Wake fans will be for our Duke team tonight. GoDuke!

oldnavy
03-09-2013, 12:49 PM
That matchup would certainly be a shock -- Hairston has been playing and guarding the "four" position in UNC's small lineup -- if he guards Rasheed, who guards Kelly?

The expected matchups would be McAdoo on Mason; Hairston on Kelly; Bullock on Curry; Paige on Cook and Strickland on Rasheed. At least that's the way they matched up last time. They could switch Bullock and Strickland on Curry and Sulaimon, but the whole point of K's quote is that Curry gets the other team's best wing defender -- and that's the 6-7 Bullock.

Strickland on Rasheed is still a tough matchup -- Strick is a 6-3 senior with good defensive skills.

You are right, Strickland is a pretty good defender.

Early in the year, Rasheed showed the ability to get in the lane and dump off the ball off to an open man in the lane.... I would love to see him rejuvinate that aspect of his game tonight.

When you have to account for every player on the floor, the defense is much harder (no help)... I am guessing that UNC and Roy will not be focusing as much on Rasheed as they will the big three, Seth, Mase and Kelly (4 if you count Cook, which they probably should). May be an opportunity for the kid...

Wheat/"/"/"
03-09-2013, 12:52 PM
I wonder if Coach K will try to press and trap Paige (8 turnovers v Maryland) from the get go. Maryland was very successful the last few minutes in trapping him. I think pressuring Paige is one real advantage that hasn't be discussed much.

I think you are dead on here, and Duke will look to pressure Paige at times early on to try and shake him up.

The good news for UNC is that Paige has been getting better and better, and fast.

He is a very good little PG. The team obviously looks to him as a floor leader now, but no doubt, he is still an undersized freshman that will have to show us he can handle that pressure in a big game like this.

UNC has been moving well off the ball, and coming to the ball, which is key to Paige having options under pressure. The smaller, quicker line up has helped him and Strickland reduce the TO's that were killing UNC early in the season.

If Duke does really extend the D and overplay, I think that helps UNC because I get a sense now that Paige can handle it and he will penetrate the lane.

I think Duke will overplay some in spots, but mainly play containment and force UNC to shoot it from deep, thinking they have a rebounding advantage inside now with Kelly.
I'm pretty sure Duke feels confident that interior D can handle UNC's interior O if that leaves the UNC guards entry pass lanes a little open.

Despite what some have said around here, McAdoo has a nice mid-range game that he will need to show in this one for a UNC win.

My key for a UNC win? Guard Curry, starting now. That kid is a killer. UNC can do that, if they stay focused on him, and I'm tellin' ya they better.

jv001
03-09-2013, 01:01 PM
You are right, Strickland is a pretty good defender.

Early in the year, Rasheed showed the ability to get in the lane and dump off the ball off to an open man in the lane.... I would love to see him rejuvinate that aspect of his game tonight.

When you have to account for every player on the floor, the defense is much harder (no help)... I am guessing that UNC and Roy will not be focusing as much on Rasheed as they will the big three, Seth, Mase and Kelly (4 if you count Cook, which they probably should). May be an opportunity for the kid...

Didn't we drive into the lane in the 2nd half against the heels? I seem to remember that, but my memory is not what it used to be. To me, Quinn Cook having a solid game distributing the ball and hitting open 3s is priority 1 and Rasheed playing like he can is key priority 2. I look for the other guys to play like senior leaders. GoDuke!

dukelifer
03-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Clearly you have never watched a Duke-UNC game.

slower
03-09-2013, 01:37 PM

smh

Before EVERY game. You guys come out every time, and apparently never learn from the past.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-09-2013, 01:51 PM
But RK makes all the difference, at both ends. We're not unbeatable with Ryan, but we're a lot harder to beat. There's plenty of analysis on the benefits he brings on offense and defense, so I won't rehash it all now, but suffice it so say that we are much, much harder to guard with Ryan in the lineup, and our help defense is much better with Ryan. If he also brings improved rebounding, which I think he will, Duke is a vastly superior team in all phases of the game with Ryan than we were without him.

I don't follow betting lines or performance against the spread all that closely, but it's been my feeling that Vegas has underestimated the Ryan impact. IIRC, Duke rarely covered the Vegas spread without Ryan in the lineup. We may see the opposite effect now, with Vegas not giving enough credit to the impact of Ryan being back. Hopefully that's the case, because I don't want to spend the next week hearing all the UNC fans around here boasting about how UNC tied Duke for 2nd in the ACC. Those people have gotten a little strut back, and that needs to be beaten from them quickly and brutally.

I've watched Kelly for 4 years and I'd describe him as "steady", "solid". He's a quality college player that won't make too many mistakes. As a defender I'd say he is average, but he is experienced and smart, which covers up his athletic weaknesses well. He struggles against big, strong guys, and gets beaten off the dribble by smaller players. Nutshell...he often plays like a "tweener" even at 6'11.

He's gonna have trouble defending PJ, McAdoo or Bullock...whoever he matches up with.

I doubt he's gonna suddenly become a post threat in this one, although I like his inside offensive moves at the basket better than Mason's. His real threat is as a catch and shoot, face up shooter and putback rebounder if he's not blocked out.

Offensively, Kelly can be taken out of games by quicker defenders that put a body on him and beat him to spots on the floor. Kelly plays tough, but not strong. I happen to think PJ is the perfect defender for him. PJ is strong and tough, too quick for Kelly. PJ needs to stay home on him and remember to deny the catch and shoot. Force Kelly to shoot a contested shot over him or put it on the floor.

BTW, I won't be able to post after the game until tomorrow, so don't come after me and think I have run and hid if Duke wins:)

LadyBlueDevil
03-09-2013, 01:58 PM

Was no one watching the chapel??

Now we're going to have to buy new song books to replace the desecrated ones and we'll have to pay to have the chapel fumigated. *sigh*

roywhite
03-09-2013, 02:01 PM
I've watched Kelly for 4 years and I'd describe him as "steady", "solid". He's a quality college player that won't make too many mistakes. As a defender I'd say he is average, but he is experienced and smart, which covers up his athletic weaknesses well. He struggles against big, strong guys, and gets beaten off the dribble by smaller players. Nutshell...he often plays like a "tweener" even at 6'11.

He's gonna have trouble defending PJ, McAdoo or Bullock...whoever he matches up with.

I doubt he's gonna suddenly become a post threat in this one, although I like his inside offensive moves at the basket better than Mason's. His real threat is as a catch and shoot, face up shooter and putback rebounder if he's not blocked out.

Offensively, Kelly can be taken out of games by quicker defenders that put a body on him and beat him to spots on the floor. Kelly plays tough, but not strong. I happen to think PJ is the perfect defender for him. PJ is strong and tough, too quick for Kelly. PJ needs to stay home on him and remember to deny the catch and shoot. Force Kelly to shoot a contested shot over him or put it on the floor.

BTW, I won't be able to post after the game until tomorrow, so don't come after me and think I have run and hid if Duke wins:)

Come on, Wheat. Methinks you damn him with faint praise.

Steady and solid doesn't describe the guy who had 36 against Miami. Or shoots better than 50% from 3-pt for the season. Or was playing like Kelly was prior to his injury. He's a very good college player, very valuable on both ends, and a major weapon.

Wander
03-09-2013, 02:08 PM
I've watched Kelly for 4 years

Really? Because I'm pretty sure I remember you posting earlier that you've only seen a few Duke games this year, all of them while Kelly was injured.

Kedsy
03-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Clearly you have never watched a Duke-UNC game.

In that guy's defense, he's right that unranked teams don't beat top five teams very often in this rivalry. As I posted earlier, in Coach K's time we have had 14 Duke/UNC games when one team was top five and the other unranked. The top five team won 13 out of 14 (the one being a 1990 UNC win over #5 Duke in Chapel Hill). So, it can happen but the odds are stacked against it.

As a defender I'd say he is average, but he is experienced and smart, which covers up his athletic weaknesses well. He struggles against big, strong guys, and gets beaten off the dribble by smaller players. Nutshell...he often plays like a "tweener" even at 6'11.

I can tell you haven't watched much of Ryan Kelly this season. For example, he held Deshaun Thomas well below his averages in both points and rebounds, and Thomas is a much better player than either Bullock or Hairston, and probably McAdoo too. Ryan is not a "tweener" in college. He's a plus defender at this level, against both big, strong guys and smaller, quicker ones.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Come on, Wheat. Methinks you damn him with faint praise.

Steady and solid doesn't describe the guy who had 36 against Miami. Or shoots better than 50% from 3-pt for the season. Or was playing like Kelly was prior to his injury. He's a very good college player, very valuable on both ends, and a major weapon.

He's a high quality shooter, for sure. His shot has to be respected and I think I've made that clear. I'll also add one great shooting night does not make him an all american.

He is a good player, and can be very good on a given day, but there are a lot of good players around.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Really? Because I'm pretty sure I remember you posting earlier that you've only seen a few Duke games this year, all of them while Kelly was injured.

I have missed more games than usual for me this year, but I've seen enough to stand by my opinions.

dukelifer
03-09-2013, 02:27 PM
In that guy's defense, he's right that unranked teams don't beat top five teams very often in this rivalry. As I posted earlier, in Coach K's time we have had 14 Duke/UNC games when one team was top five and the other unranked. The top five team won 13 out of 14 (the one being a 1990 UNC win over #5 Duke in Chapel Hill). So, it can happen but the odds are stacked against it.

I can tell you haven't watched much of Ryan Kelly this season. For example, he held Deshaun Thomas well below his averages in both points and rebounds, and Thomas is a much better player than either Bullock or Hairston, and probably McAdoo too. Ryan is not a "tweener" in college. He's a plus defender at this level, against both big, strong guys and smaller, quicker ones.

How many of those games have been close?

AGDukesky
03-09-2013, 02:29 PM
He's a high quality shooter, for sure. His shot has to be respected and I think I've made that clear. I'll also add one great shooting night does not make him an all american.

He is a good player, and can be very good on a given day, but there are a lot of good players around.

Sure, as long as you acknowledge UNC doesn't have anyone who has looked better this year

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Wheat may underestimate RK but I guarantee Ol Roy and the rest of the ninnies are sweating a little harder knowing that RK is on the court tonight. Or maybe Wheat is just baiting you guys...

El_Diablo
03-09-2013, 02:34 PM
I don't think Wheat's far off in his description. I do, however, think Ryan is a better defender this year than in the past (and has played "stronger" this year than in the past) but can understand if an outsider hasn't really noticed the improvement.

Saratoga2
03-09-2013, 02:36 PM

Don't count on rankings. We should win but the argument doesn't necessarily follow.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Wheat may underestimate RK but I guarantee Ol Roy and the rest of the ninnies are sweating a little harder knowing that RK is on the court tonight. Or maybe Wheat is just baiting you guys...

Underestimate? I don't think I'm doing that. RK can beat you, if you underestimate him. The kid can flat out shoot.

I'm just saying he can be defended, and he's going to have trouble defending.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Sure, as long as you acknowledge UNC doesn't have anyone who has looked better this year

UNC does not have a 3pt shooter that has shot it better from deep.

Bluedog
03-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Forget about what games ended up being close...how many of those matchups had the top 5 team as the UNDERDOG according to Vegas? Carolina is currently favored by 2 points. They have been playing really well as of late and we better be ready for a barn burner or else we'll get run out of the gym. This game will NOT be easy. Need to play well and play hard to earn the win in Chapel Hill tonight. Go to Hell Carolina!!! Let's do this!

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Underestimate? I don't think I'm doing that. RK can beat you, if you underestimate him. The kid can flat out shoot.

You're missing the point about Ryan entirely. He is a good individual defender. But he makes our TEAM defense MUCH better. And you guys didn't see that the first time around.

You've also painted him as an avg offensive player who can have good night nights but can be defended. Almost anyone can be defended if you focus enough on them. But again it's what Ryan does to improve our overall TEAM offensive effort.

Like I said, I guarantee Roy et al are worried as hell about Duke with RK on the floor. You can guard against "athletic" but you can't guard against "smart" and that's the unseen element with RK.

Duvall
03-09-2013, 03:20 PM
There are few things on this board funnier than Wheat's total contempt for any Duke player taller than 6'8".

DoubleDuke Dad
03-09-2013, 03:22 PM

Wheat, you act as if this game is a slam dunk for UNC. If I were you I wouldn't light up my cigar just yet.

It appears that most (all?) UNC fans are manic-depressive. Either they think that UNC is going to be slaughtered or that they can't lose.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-09-2013, 03:23 PM
There are few things on this board funnier than Wheat's total contempt for any Duke player taller than 6'8".

Which is hilarious given their total lack of big man skill and the need to go "small."

Wheat/"/"/"
03-09-2013, 03:26 PM

Dude...how do you get "total contempt" from my comments about RK?

slower
03-09-2013, 03:32 PM
You can guard against "athletic" but you can't guard against "smart" and that's the unseen element with RK.

THIS times 1000.

Watching the past two games, Ryan just seems to know when, where and how much to hedge, compared to our other bigs (Mason included). Offensively, he's our most versatile player, with Seth a close second. There seems to be a rap against Ryan's rebounding, but I don't think he's as bad as some would suggest. And he at least knows how to HANG ON TO THE BALL once it's in his hands - you don't see it getting poked away from behind, which seems to happen to Mason with regularity. And he's a VERY good shot blocker/changer. I think this is underestimated, because he's a timing guy, not a leaper.

Is he our best player? Maybe. He's arguably our best shooter, a better defender than some will admit, arguably our best shot-blocker, and he's just SMART out there. Mason gets the press because he's more of a run/jump guy, but Ryan's fundamentals are light years ahead of Mason's.

I don't think Hairston can shut Ryan down. I DO think Seth CAN be shut down (not that he WILL be). Mason can give you anything in any game, as can Quinn and Sheed.

So..who knows?

jv001
03-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Dude...how do you get "total contempt" from my comments about RK?

Well Wheat, you do have to admit you haven't had many good things to say about Duke and it's big men. What do you think about unc's big men this year? GoDuke!

TruBlu
03-09-2013, 03:34 PM

This statement is a classic "double entendre"!

Henderson
03-09-2013, 03:48 PM
So we're looking at Todd's first double-double?

Two missed shots in two minutes of play does not generally get counted as a "double-double."

[But seriously, sorry, Todd. You know I love The Macedonian Master.]

If Todd plays, it either means very good news for us or very bad news for us.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Well Wheat, you do have to admit you haven't had many good things to say about Duke and it's big men. What do you think about unc's big men this year? GoDuke!

McAdoo needs to play bigger inside and work on finishing plays through contact. He's really more of a pf/wing player than a post player that will have to develop his ball handling to be a successful pro.

Hubert needs to get stronger and develop some offensive skills, which may never happen to make him a starter. He's destined to be a defensive role player.

James has potential to be a beast around the basket but he is raw. He's got to learn to play within the flow and get a better feel about how to use his size. He has touch around the basket, which every big man needs.

Johnson has to learn to play hard and much tougher. It's not his size, it's his attitude holding him back. He's a scorer and has great touch, but he's like McAdoo, he'll never be a "banger".

GLTBD
03-09-2013, 04:00 PM
I want to record the game, I know the game is scheduled for ESPN, but living in the triangle sometimes it is shown locally and blacked out on ESPN. Is this the case this time? I checked WRAL they don't have the game listed. Thanks.

Go Duke and GTHC

nocilla
03-09-2013, 04:15 PM
I want to record the game, I know the game is scheduled for ESPN, but living in the triangle sometimes it is shown locally and blacked out on ESPN. Is this the case this time? I checked WRAL they don't have the game listed. Thanks.

Go Duke and GTHC

The game will not be on local stations tonight. The first game was shared by ESPN and the ACC Network, this one is not.

davekay1971
03-09-2013, 04:21 PM

Since you've been properly beaten on by other posters, I'll address your evaluation of Ryan as erroneous because you're looking at Ryan as a single entity, not what he does for Duke as a team.

If Ryan was playing a game of one on one, first to 11 wins, keep it if you score, and call your own fouls, Ryan might have the limitations you're describing.

But:

1) Ryan is a better one-on-one defender than you give him credit for. As, I believe, Kedsy posted, he did a nice job locking down Deshaun Thomas, who's a heck of a lot better player and athlete than anyone UNC is going to throw at Ryan.

2) Ryan's massive effect on Duke's defense is mostly based on his wonderful help-defense instincts. Ryan's a good man-to-man defender, but he's an exceptional help defender. In my time watching Duke, the guys who really stand out as being that good at help-defense are Grant Hill, Shane Battier, and Ryan Kelly. That, by itself, explains the difference in Duke's defensive efficiency with vs without RK

3) Ryan's offensive help for Duke is all about his ability to spread the defense. If Ryan's not playing, then PJ Hairston can pack the lane, help away from his man, position better to crash the boards. With RK, whether Ryan's scoring or not, Hairston has to be on him like glue. He can't back off a 6'11" guy who's shooting 50%+ from the 3 point line at all, because he's giving up 6 inches and if he's not in Ryan's face, Ryan can shoot over him easily.

There's just no debating Ryan's importance to this team, meaning that there's no rational argument, at all, that Duke is a vastly better team with Ryan than without. Whether you look at offensive/defensive efficiency numbers, break it down by strategy the way Luke Winn did, look at Duke's with-vs-without win-loss record, it doesn't matter. UNC's a better team than they were last time we played...but Duke, with RK, is a completely different animal. And the difference a bearded "pretty-good" stretch forward.

Note I'm not promising that Duke's going to win with Kelly in the lineup. I respect what UNC's the last part of this season, even if I loathe it. But it's very hard to overstate Ryan's value to Duke.

Henderson
03-09-2013, 04:21 PM
McAdoo needs to play bigger inside and work on finishing plays through contact.

It'll be interesting how McAdoo performs with his (alleged) bulging disk. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9033360/james-michael-mcadoo-back-acting-north-carolina-tar-heels

Real issue or sandbagging by that dadgum Roy?

Wheat/"/"/"
03-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Since you've been properly beaten on by other posters, I'll address your evaluation of Ryan as erroneous because you're looking at Ryan as a single entity, not what he does for Duke as a team.

If Ryan was playing a game of one on one, first to 11 wins, keep it if you score, and call your own fouls, Ryan might have the limitations you're describing.

But:

1) Ryan is a better one-on-one defender than you give him credit for. As, I believe, Kedsy posted, he did a nice job locking down Deshaun Thomas, who's a heck of a lot better player and athlete than anyone UNC is going to throw at Ryan.

2) Ryan's massive effect on Duke's defense is mostly based on his wonderful help-defense instincts. Ryan's a good man-to-man defender, but he's an exceptional help defender. In my time watching Duke, the guys who really stand out as being that good at help-defense are Grant Hill, Shane Battier, and Ryan Kelly. That, by itself, explains the difference in Duke's defensive efficiency with vs without RK

3) Ryan's offensive help for Duke is all about his ability to spread the defense. If Ryan's not playing, then PJ Hairston can pack the lane, help away from his man, position better to crash the boards. With RK, whether Ryan's scoring or not, Hairston has to be on him like glue. He can't back off a 6'11" guy who's shooting 50%+ from the 3 point line at all, because he's giving up 6 inches and if he's not in Ryan's face, Ryan can shoot over him easily.

There's just no debating Ryan's importance to this team, meaning that there's no rational argument, at all, that Duke is a vastly better team with Ryan than without. Whether you look at offensive/defensive efficiency numbers, break it down by strategy the way Luke Winn did, look at Duke's with-vs-without win-loss record, it doesn't matter. UNC's a better team than they were last time we played...but Duke, with RK, is a completely different animal. And the difference a bearded "pretty-good" stretch forward.

Note I'm not promising that Duke's going to win with Kelly in the lineup. I respect what UNC's the last part of this season, even if I loathe it. But it's very hard to overstate Ryan's value to Duke.

I don't want to diminish RK's value to Duke. I agree Duke is a better team with him.

BD80
03-09-2013, 04:56 PM
... McAdoo, he'll never be a "banger".

Wheat, bless you, you must fell like Sisyphus, endlessly toiling to defend a rational statement, only to have it twisted and then you are faced with starting all over.

I appreciate your efforts, but shake my head when you get embroiled in yet another endless battle. More power to you ...

FWIW, your observation that McAdoo will never be a "banger" is such an understatement, it may be the funniest thing said on this board in months

Wheat/"/"/"
03-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Wheat, bless you, you must fell like Sisyphus, endlessly toiling to defend a rational statement, only to have it twisted and then you are faced with starting all over.

I appreciate your efforts, but shake my head when you get embroiled in yet another endless battle. More power to you ...

FWIW, your observation that McAdoo will never be a "banger" is such an understatement, it may be the funniest thing said on this board in months

If they were Duke players I was talking about I would have just said they play "soft". :)

oldnavy
03-09-2013, 05:18 PM
If they were Duke players I was talking about I would have just said they play "soft". :)

Roy had a good word to describe them, now what was it???? Some type of flower I think....

Wander
03-09-2013, 05:21 PM
I have missed more games than usual for me this year, but I've seen enough to stand by my opinions.

Your quote: "It's been a crazy year for me and I have'nt had a chance to watch as much hoops as usual. I saw Duke play a half early in the year and then I saw the State and Miami games, that's it."

So, at the absolute most, the only full games you've seen from Ryan Kelly are his two recent outings: a 36 point on 14 shots game against Miami and an 18 point game on 12 shots against Virginia Tech. And that's what you're using to make all these comments about him being an average defender and such. I'm not saying Ryan Kelly is going to blow up for 30 points tonight, or hell, even that he'll play well (after all, we haven't seen him in a road game this year yet), but come on man. Just admit you've barely seen him play at all this year and you're basing your entire analysis off previous seasons.

AGDukesky
03-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Your quote: "It's been a crazy year for me and I have'nt had a chance to watch as much hoops as usual. I saw Duke play a half early in the year and then I saw the State and Miami games, that's it."

So, at the absolute most, the only full games you've seen from Ryan Kelly are his two recent outings: a 36 point on 14 shots game against Miami and an 18 point game on 12 shots against Virginia Tech. And that's what you're using to make all these comments about him being an average defender and such. I'm not saying Ryan Kelly is going to blow up for 30 points tonight, or hell, even that he'll play well (after all, we haven't seen him in a road game this year yet), but come on man. Just admit you've barely seen him play at all this year and you're basing your entire analysis off previous seasons.

I'm pretty sure Wheat's scouting report is just an extrapolation of a Doug Gottlieb tweet

Kedsy
03-09-2013, 05:54 PM

Four out of 14 were close, including this year's game at Duke. In 2000, #3 Duke beat unranked UNC by 4 in OT (@UNC). In 1995, we all remember UNC beating unranked Duke by 2 in double OT (@Duke). In 1984, #1 UNC beat unranked Duke by 5 in Durham.

On the other side of the spectrum, four out of 14 were routs of 20+. The remaining six games were all between 10 and 18 points (inclusive), including the sole upset in this segment of the series, when unranked UNC beat #5 Duke by 12 in 1990.

So, based on history alone, the top five team should win, most likely by low double-figures, with an equal chance of a close game and a blowout.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-09-2013, 06:04 PM

I've not seen him play much this year, which I've already stated, but I have seen enough to feel comfortable saying that he hasn't changed much, especially as a man on man defender, from what I've seen the past 3 years.

I have known for a long while he can shoot, and I do think he looks smarter with his shot selection... and I've always thought he was a solid team defender.

Rickshaw
03-09-2013, 06:09 PM
It can certainly happen..........Virginia,almost BC, maryland.

What ranked team has unc beaten with their small line up...........they are due for a loss.

Bob Green
03-09-2013, 06:11 PM
About 3 hours until gametime, I'm excited and ready to go. On defense, we must defend the 3 PT line and limit second chance points. On offense, good ball movement to create open looks. I already said I hope to see us execute the high-low game. Additionally, good ball movement with ball reversal should create open looks for 3 pointers. I like our top 7 or 8 players better than their top 7 or 8 players and really believe this game will be decided by who executes better (and makes their free throws).

Tip the damn ball already, I'm ready to go!!!

Henderson
03-09-2013, 06:13 PM
So, based on history alone, the top five team should win, most likely by low double-figures, with an equal chance of a close game and a blowout.

I generally agree, but this game won't be played by "history alone". Statistics only get you so far, as recognized by the betting line (Carolina by 1.5). If we played this game on paper, we'd win handily. If only we played this game on paper. But we won't. This is a tough game that Duke could lose, make no mistake about it. They need to bring it on the offensive and defensive ends and (most importantly) not shoot 40% from the floor, get outrebounded by 10, or fail to hit foul shots.

In the end, you gots to get buckets. More than the other guys.

Durham Thunder
03-09-2013, 06:39 PM
FACT:
When the Battle for Tobacco Road opens at UNC, Duke is 7-0 since 2000. This rhythm was definitely reflected with Austin Rivers.

FACT:
When the Battle closes at UNC, Duke is 1-6 since 2001. Sometimes there's an eerie, underlying streak with these things.

Let's just break it! LETS GO DUKE!

Durham Thunder
03-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Our biggest key tonight: Win the battle at point guard.

UNC presents strong competition at all positions except point guard. Quinn is BETTER than Marcus, and Quinn must decisively win this matchup tonight.

#1Duke
03-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Our biggest key tonight: Win the battle at point guard.

UNC presents strong competition at all positions except point guard. Quinn is BETTER than Marcus, and Quinn must decisively win this matchup tonight.

Mason should go off, it is the perfect opportunity for him to do so. He'll have a forward on him most of the night and when that isn't the case, he'll have undeveloped weak freshman on him.
Kelly is back to spread the floor and MUST be respected and well guarded.

This is the time when a potential POTY steps up, takes advantage of the situation and adds ten points and 4/6 rebounds to his last effort against the Heels.
I believe all the other starters are going to show up and make their contributions...... I am looking for Mason to take advantage of the mis match he is going to have all night.

This IS the time for him to take control.

gep
03-09-2013, 07:03 PM
What ranked team has unc beaten with their small line up...........they are due for a loss.

I was thinking... what if ol'Roy changes things up again and go big like before. After all, maybe he's worried enough about Ryan presenting problems for his small lineup. :confused:

g-money
03-09-2013, 07:06 PM
...has the line at UNC -2 and the O/U at 150. (apologies if this was posted upthread)

Both teams are playing well right now. I expect a much better-played game than the first go-round. Perhaps even one for the ages.

To win, Duke will need to have its size translate to an edge in rebounding, and has to do a better job with not getting beat on the perimeter.

On offense, Kelly's return has made our basic '4 out, 1 in' offense a force to be reckoned with. I think we'll shoot well and score efficiently. However, free throws could be an adventure if we get a lead towards the end of the game.

In the end, I think Vegas got the O/U right but the line backwards. Duke wins 76-74.

diveonthefloor
03-09-2013, 07:35 PM
What's the over under on celebrities in the stands shown on TV? Wonder who will be the most famous non participant DickieV name-drops?

Bob Green
03-09-2013, 07:38 PM
What's the over under on celebrities in the stands shown on TV? Wonder who will be the most famous non participant DickieV name-drops?

I will not know because when The Mouth is providing the color commentary my TV sound is muted.

NSDukeFan
03-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Does UNC get a real statement win this year after taking care of business the last three weeks or does Duke get its most impressive road win? Duke is better on paper but they have yet to beat a tournament team on the road this year. I would love to see it.

Gthoma2a
03-09-2013, 08:40 PM
In on 7 (just taking the time to mock IC for good luck).

Gthoma2a
03-09-2013, 08:47 PM
"I think you could make a case for Larry Drew II as the MVP of this league." I love when UNC runs a pretty good player out of town.

Les Grossman
03-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Digger is picking Duke

moonpie23
03-09-2013, 08:54 PM
let's get this thing rolling!!!

photo messed up.......sorry

"i don't always have a knot in my stomach,

but when i do, i'm always @ UNC

Gthoma2a
03-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Red alert! Digger picked us!

JayBean
03-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Red alert! Digger picked us!

Well, a broken clock is right twice a day. Unless it's digital.

riverside6
03-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/UNC, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=14650

Les Grossman
03-09-2013, 09:03 PM
where is Rasheed?

slower
03-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Thornton gets the start. Hmmm...

Can't be good for Sheed's confidence.

Oh, dear God. Wrestling announcer. How pathetic.

Gthoma2a
03-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Thornton gets the start. Hmmm...

Can't be good for Sheed's confidence.

Hopefully he comes out angry because of it. Sometimes it makes guys come out on fire!

IBleedBlue
03-09-2013, 09:05 PM
any link for us foreign people?

xinspiration
03-09-2013, 09:08 PM
any link for us foreign people?

http://www.vipbox.tv/basketball/141039/1/duke-vs-north-carolina--live-stream-online.html

pfrduke
03-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Certainly not a slow start so far. Curry looks dialed in.

rsvman
Nice start!

Gthoma2a
Well, a broken clock is right twice a day. Unless it's digital.

I am starting to believe you, now.

Dukeface88
Did Dickie V just say UNC has two touchdowns?

freedevil
03-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Bilas was dead wrong about the charge on Kelly. His neutrality attempts really can be tiresome. Go Duke.

nyesq83
03-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Maintain...

lotusland
03-09-2013, 09:14 PM
so much for slow starts!

Gthoma2a
03-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Ryan should have seen that one coming and passed.

jay
03-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Ryan should have seen that one coming and passed.

Yep. 3-on-1 with a 13-point lead? Absolutely no reason to force it there.

davekay1971
03-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Dial back in fellas...

JMM looks very good tonight

freedevil
03-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Would let McAdoo shoot that jumper all day.

davekay1971
03-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Seth...CURRY!

I see over the back is still allowed if you play for UNC...

jay
OMG Curry is ridiculous so far tonight!

Les Grossman
Curry....from his backside!!

wtm001
03-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Curry's mad he's not a Wooden award finalist!

OldPhiKap
Seth Spicy Curry. Wow.

hurleyfor3
The infamous 17-point lead strikes again...

rsvman
Do you buy that travel call?

jay
03-09-2013, 09:25 PM
This is the point in the game where the only thing I can think about is "It can't keep going this well."

follyblue
03-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Curry is on fie-yur!

lotusland
03-09-2013, 09:26 PM
This one is fun so far. Glad to see only 3 guards this time with Ryan back. Curry is unconscious

freedevil
03-09-2013, 09:26 PM
This is the point in the game where the only thing I can think about is "It can't keep going this well."

Yup.

slower
03-09-2013, 09:28 PM

And it won't.

Awaiting the inevitable letdown - feels like it's already starting.

freedevil
03-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Silly foul by Kelly.

jay
03-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Kelly with 2 fouls....

hurleyfor3
03-09-2013, 09:31 PM
We need to break the 17-point barrier... seriously...

slower
03-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Who just got that foul after the shot? K is pissed.

pfrduke
The infamous 17-point lead strikes again...

Glad I'm not the only one who has that reaction.

pfrduke
Who just got that foul after the shot? K is pissed.

Tyler.

Troublemaker
And it won't.

Awaiting the inevitable letdown - feels like it's already starting.

I mean, obviously we're not going to win 120-40. Even without keeping up this torrid pace, we're in great shape.

Relax guys and enjoy this beatdown.

JayBean
Well, I'm not comfortable with our foul situation. Hoping we can make it to the half with most of this lead and without more fouls.

moonpie23
03-09-2013, 09:33 PM
good start......better than playing from behind.....

keep it up guys.....

arnie
03-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Silly foul by Kelly.

I think when we come out of to that was foul on Hairston. Amile need to play

slower
03-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Plumlee hands. Great. Can't hang on to the ball, can't hang on to a rebound. I just don't understand it.

freedevil
We're getting good opportunities to stretch this lead, but haven't done so. Let's go!

duke96
9F9F!!

Tucknut
03-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Wish Mason's defense matched his offense tonight...

sporthenry
03-09-2013, 09:38 PM
I know its a huge lead so it isn't a big issue, but these refs have been ridiculous. Mason with 6 shots and that 1 turnover and no foul? Yet, they call ticky tack stuff against Duke.

follyblue
03-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Offense is awesome but this is the best defense they have played in a long time.

pfrduke
03-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Wish Mason's defense matched his offense tonight...

Nothing's wrong with Mason's defense tonight. If James Michael McAdoo shoots unguarded 12-footers all night, that's a victory for Duke. There's no reason to guard him there, even if he has hit a couple. Mason's doing work on the boards, which is much more important.

lotusland
03-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Curry is 0 for his last1 good thing Qunin is picking up the slack:). Now if sheed would just get on board :)

arnie
03-09-2013, 09:40 PM
I know its a huge lead so it isn't a big issue, but these refs have been ridiculous. Mason with 6 shots and that 1 turnover and no foul? Yet, they call ticky tack stuff against Duke.

Up 18 or so , haven't been to the line and heels screaming about refs

Gthoma2a
03-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Wiggins is texting... I love it!

wtm001
03-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Under 2! Don't give UNC any momentum going into the break

follyblue
Rebounding is better than it has been lately too. Not perfect but better.

Gthoma2a
These fouls from Kelly are getting ridiculous.

jay
03-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Ryan not playing very smart on offense tonight. 3 fouls.

slower
03-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Didn't expect Kelly to make such a stupid mistake. These guys need to VALUE EVERY POSSESSION, because this ridiculous shooting advantage won't continue all game.

sporthenry
03-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Good thing we know that Amile and Josh can handle the 4 against UNC.

rsvman
Third foul on Ryan really hurts.
I have no idea why he was back in the game in this half. We were well ahead without him

duke96
If we can score 38 points of which Kelly has 2, this team has a quite interesting potential.

JayBean
03-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Ryan not playing very smart on offense tonight. 3 fouls.

Yeah that is upsetting. Although Mason doesn't have any. If he makes it to the half with one or zero, that's something positive. and if we can keep the lead above 14. That'd be nice too.

JayBean
03-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Hoping that free throw gets Rasheed on track.

jay
03-09-2013, 09:50 PM
It's only halftime, but it's hard not to look at this game as a huge sign of good things to come in March. Kelly has been limited, and is in foul trouble, and we're destroying one of the hottest teams in the country over the last month.

follyblue
Hard to imagine how that could have gone better. Even with some mental mistakes by Kelly that was still a beat down. If we come out with energy in 2nd half it will all be good.

lotusland
Is it bad karma to check IC at halftime?

BD80
03-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Wiggins is texting... I love it!

What recruits are at the game? Good showing for Duke, not for ol' roy & co. dadgummit!

jipops
03-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Best defense since Jan 8.

Not liking Kelly with 3 fouls.

A furious unc comeback is guaranteed.

dairedevil
03-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Score is a nice palindrome.

Great first half. Keep it up in the second.

Troublemaker

Doubtful

BD80
Think ol' roy invited the recruits into the lockerroom at halftime?

BlueDevilBrowns
It's only halftime, but it's hard not to look at this game as a huge sign of good things to come in March. Kelly has been limited, and is in foul trouble, and we're destroying one of the hottest teams in the country over the last month.

I'm guessing pretty confidently that we won't see Kelly until at least the 15 minute mark in the 2nd unless UNC makes a run to start the half. So if we can play the 1st 4 minutes to a draw, we should be in good shape.

coldriver10
Knock on wood...

Durham Thunder
03-09-2013, 09:53 PM
i love duke!

JayBean
03-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Is it bad karma to check IC at halftime?

Yes. Always. If you go to IC, take a long hot shower afterwards :)

UNC actually has 3 point shooters now, so you can never tell if they will get hot.
Especially with all the fouls are guys are committing.

Troublemaker
03-09-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm guessing pretty confidently that we won't see Kelly until at least the 15 minute mark in the 2nd unless UNC makes a run to start the half. So if we can play the 1st 4 minutes to a draw, we should be in good shape.

I think he starts and plays smarter

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Good guys rebounding with ferocity. Love it. Keep it up.

Gthoma2a
03-09-2013, 09:57 PM
What recruits are at the game? Good showing for Duke, not for ol' roy & co. dadgummit!

I am pretty sure I heard Theo Pinson was attending, but Wiggins was the one they pointed out in the crowd with his head down, and his eyes in his phone.

Dukeface88

I dunno, we've been a second-half team this year. I was actually expecting us to be down at the half and then come back to win.

slower

I'd love to be wrong, but it feels like we're gonna need all of that 18-point cushion.

Is it just me, or do our guys seem to be having problems hanging on to the ball? They seem to be almost losing their grip on the ball on many occasions.

As always, sorry to be such a pessimist, but nobody should be counting any chickens yet. I'm afraid that even a slight mental letdown will let the Holes back into it. And if the crowd gets hyped, it's gonna be a struggle.

It's been fantastic so far - fantastic. But the shooting disparity just CANNOT continue.

And it would be soooo sweet to continue the beatdown and knock the Holes out of contention for Wiggins.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-09-2013, 09:58 PM

If they come back, it better come in the 1st 4 minutes or it isn't gonna happen.

Conversely, Duke needs to stay aggressive, knowing that all we've done so far is put ourselves in a good position but we still have to execute.

Oh, and if we're up 11 with 3:30 minutes left, it still ain't over!;)

DukieInBrasil
03-09-2013, 09:59 PM
extremely impressive 1st half. UNC is helping us by rushing on O, letting us get out on the break quite a bit. They are out offensive-rebounding us 8-2, partly b/c we are missing many fewer shots.

bedeviled
What recruits are at the game?According to Zagsblog the "expected" recruits were:
2013 Andrew Wiggins
2014 Theo Pinson
2014 Rashad Vaughn

UNC Commits:
2013 Nate Britt
2013 Isaiah Hicks
2013 Kennedy Meeks
2014 Justin Jackson

FerryFor50
Anyone notice that Duke shot .666 from the field in the first half?

It's a sign!

Troublemaker
03-09-2013, 10:00 PM
I'd love to be wrong, but it feels like we're gonna need all of that 18-point cushion.

Is it just me, or do our guys seem to be having problems hanging on to the ball? They seem to be almost losing their grip on the ball on many occasions.

As always, sorry to be such a pessimist, but nobody should be counting any chickens yet. I'm afraid that even a slight mental letdown will let the Holes back into it. And if the crowd gets hyped, it's gonna be a struggle.

It's been fantastic so far - fantastic. But the shooting disparity just CANNOT continue.

And it would be soooo sweet to continue the beatdown and knock the Holes out of contention for Wiggins.

I think we actually extend the lead in the second half and win between 20 and 25

OldPhiKap
03-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Who did Digger predict would win? Hope UNC.

JayBean
03-09-2013, 10:01 PM
One positive from Ryan being out for 2 months is that Mason has learned how to pace himself for a half. Hoping he doesn't have to, but if Ryan gets his fourth quickly, Mason has the experience to rely on.

slower
03-09-2013, 10:02 PM
I think we actually extend the lead in the second half and win between 20 and 25

I desperately hope that you're correct.

Tucknut
03-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Nothing's wrong with Mason's defense tonight. If James Michael McAdoo shoots unguarded 12-footers all night, that's a victory for Duke.

Only if Duke continues to score.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Yes. Always. If you go to IC, take a long hot shower afterwards :)

UNC actually has 3 point shooters now, so you can never tell if they will get hot.
Especially with all the fouls are guys are committing.

That's a good point. I remember us in Cameron last year making a pretty big comeback with some hot outside shooting to make things interesting at the end. All it takes is a few 3's and some silly turnovers and it's on.

pfrduke
03-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Only if Duke continues to score.

He's going to shoot - at best - 50% on those shots. He's not a good shooter. If Carolina scores 1 point per possession in the second half, we win. Even if our offense struggles relative to the first half.

BD80
03-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Anyone notice that Duke shot .666 from the field in the first half?

It's a sign!

Devilishly good! The Devil you say!

Smells like they're serving deviled ram!

follyblue
03-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Mason is a beast. But need some blocking out on defensive boards.

FerryFor50
03-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Good to see McAdon't flopping less this game.

Les Grossman
03-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Mason found his Superman tights for tonight's game!

Les Grossman
03-09-2013, 10:10 PM
QC playing pretty well too!

follyblue
03-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Don't want to jinx us but I think mason may have just put this away. Only person on the court who can stop Mason is Mason.

JayBean
Well, we made it past four minutes with only one more foul (on seth, so that's his first) and a larger lead. Keep it up!

BlueandWhite
Mason found his Superman tights for tonight's game!

YEAH!!!! Mason and Seth clearly showed up to play tonight....as did the entire team.
Let's run them out of their own building....right...now!

arnie
Who did Digger predict would win? Hope UNC.

Bills getting defensive over his heels. Does he have them as a 1 seed yet?

hurleyfor3
03-09-2013, 10:14 PM
No pare la fiesta. Don't stop the paaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr-ty.

Tucknut
Mason is a beast. But need some blocking out on defensive boards.

Exactly

FerryFor50
It's a shame that Brooklyn Decker is a Tarheel...

duke96
03-09-2013, 10:16 PM

Seriously. Wtf!

JayBean
03-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Any chance we see Amile with Josh getting his third foul?

slower
03-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Plumlee. Shoot...the...freaking...ball. Do not attempt to dribble, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

jay
How many times does Mcadoo have to strip the ball from Mason in the post before he starts protecting the ball? That's at least the third time tonight.

BlueDevilBrowns

Yes. Wouldn't it be nice, though, if Kate Upton was a Duke fan:D

slower
03-09-2013, 10:18 PM
How many times does Mcadoo have to strip the ball from Mason in the post before he starts protecting the ball? That's at least the third time tonight.

That's not a new development.

jipops
03-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Here it comes.

slower
03-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Tyler!! Hustle play of the year, no doubt.

FerryFor50
03-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Tyler!! Hustle play of the year, no doubt.

He nearly took out Roy in the process.

jay
03-09-2013, 10:23 PM
He nearly took out Roy in the process.

That would have made it hustle play of the decade.

JayBean
03-09-2013, 10:24 PM
If we just trade 2's the rest of the way, that's fine. Just hoping they don't start hitting threes.

slower
PJ Hairston looks like he's ready to get a little bit chippy.

follyblue
Plumlee. Shoot...the...freaking...ball. Do not attempt to dribble, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

This. And get him the ball.

Les Grossman
03-09-2013, 10:25 PM
lots of murmuring in the Dumb Dome!!

hahahahaha

FerryFor50
03-09-2013, 10:27 PM
So far it looks like the whine will be flowing tonight in Chapel Hill!