PDA

View Full Version : Duke Horse Names

DevilHorse
03-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Although the old Hurley Horse Happenings thread no longer has legs (uh, sorry), there is still some fertile ground (and some interest) in any horse/Duke connections to be found out in the Equine World.

I noticed that a very capable steed named Battier will be running in the Private Terms Stakes at Laurel Park this Saturday March 9 (Race 10). He has won 3 of 4 starts and looks like a capable young 3 year old. He's moving up in class and seems to like the mud.. Apparently Battier is not Triple Crown bound, but this would be too premature any way to discuss.

Larry
DevilHorse

tommy
03-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Although the old Hurley Horse Happenings thread no longer has legs (uh, sorry), there is still some fertile ground (and some interest) in any horse/Duke connections to be found out in the Equine World.

I noticed that a very capable steed named Battier will be running in the Private Terms Stakes at Laurel Park this Saturday March 9 (Race 10). He has won 3 of 4 starts and looks like a capable young 3 year old. He's moving up in class and seems to like the mud.. Apparently Battier is not Triple Crown bound, but this would be too premature any way to discuss.

Larry
DevilHorse

Who's his Daddy?

DevilHorse
03-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Who's his Daddy?

Ha Ha, since there was no Emoticon.. Battier is by Tale of the Cat who is by Storm Cat. Broodmare sire is Boston Harbor. By pedigree he might be a stretch to get this 1 1/8 mile race in stakes company. You have to go back a few more generations to find a stayer.

Larry
DevilHorse

brevity
03-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Not sure I like this naming trend. Horses that take charges run the risk of being put down.

DevilHorse
03-07-2013, 09:03 PM
I thought Duke Horses were the ultimate "Glue" Guys!! :p

Larry
DevilHorse

DevilHorse
03-10-2013, 10:11 AM
The horse "Battier" finished second in the Private Terms stakes at 19:1. This was a nice step up for this green colt.
Here is a pointer to the race chart, courtesy of the Daily Racing Form:
http://www1.drf.com/drfPDFChartRacesIndexAction.do?TRK=LRL&CTY=USA&DATE=20130309&RN=10

Larry
DevilHorse

bradvinjack
03-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Wanted to say thanks to Devilhorse for the tip about Battier. I decided to place a 30 dollar win/place/show bet on Battier as he was one of my all time favorite players. Anyway the $90 bet payed out $280. I took the family out for dinner with the winnings, so just wanted to say thanks, and please keep posting the info about the duke related horses.

DevilHorse
03-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Great story Brad.., thanks for sharing. I'm glad to share the information and any opinions I have, although it is all for fun; I'll take no blame or credit.
There have been a number of fun Duke connections over the years.. Certainly the Hurley horses, there is a pacer named "Duke Did It" up in Canada, there is Blue Devil Racing with Dale Romans (no Duke roots I'm afraid, but they are a bunch of nice guys), Duke's Cherokee, and a few others.
I'll continue to chime in as events warrant and if there is interest.

Thanks.

Larry
DevilHorse

DevilHorse
04-02-2013, 07:21 AM
A 9 year old gelding trotter named Bull Durham won at Pompano Park last night.
OK,, not a big winner, but just wetting the appetite for the North Caroline Derby, I mean Kentucky Derby coming up in less than a month.

Verrazano, Orb, Hear The Ghost, and Revolutionary look the best so far. Any chance of recruiting someone with those names? Perhaps giving a player one of these nick names?? :rolleyes:

Larry
DevilHorse

DevilHorse
04-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Wow, missed Battier racing in my own backyard, and at a nice price. Looks like he will be a good one two. I bet he plays some great defense during the race :rolleyes:
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChart.cfm?tid=AQU&dt=04/07/2013&ctry=USA&day=D&STYLE=AQU&RACE=3&BorP=B

Larry
Devilhorse

YmoBeThere
04-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Wow, missed Battier racing in my own backyard, and at a nice price. Looks like he will be a good one two. I bet he plays some great defense during the race :rolleyes:
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChart.cfm?tid=AQU&dt=04/07/2013&ctry=USA&day=D&STYLE=AQU&RACE=3&BorP=B

Larry
Devilhorse

Random cross reference - I have a team in one of my many fantasy baseball leagues named Res Judicata. They lost last Sunday also.

DevilHorse
04-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Random cross reference - I have a team in one of my many fantasy baseball leagues named Res Judicata. They lost last Sunday also.

If I wasn't clear, Battier won last sunday at 12-1! A nice$45K of $75K purse for the owners, and $26 for the betting backers Battier.

And here's a bonus tidbit. There was another thoroughbred named Battier in 1999. Didn't do much, was a gelding, and the name can be re-used in 10 years if the horse doesn't make a big mark on the breed. The rules vary for re-using names based on various circumstances.

Larry

DevilHorse
04-18-2013, 08:11 PM
We have an 8 year old gelding pacing at Woodbine on Friday night. "Duke Did It" is a journeyman horse who has won over $250K. Alas, DDI is now a $12K claimer, but is still going strong.
Just letting you know that those Duke names are out there.

Larry
DevilHorse

YmoBeThere
04-18-2013, 10:46 PM
I would call my Duke themed horse:

The Shot

Most people wouldn't know...but I would. The icing on the cake would be winning the Derby.

Indoor66
04-19-2013, 07:45 AM
I would call my Duke themed horse:

The Shot

Most people wouldn't know...but I would. The icing on the cake would be winning the Derby.

Even more icing would be going 10 for 10!

DevilHorse
05-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Battier (the horse) is taking a step up in company this weekend. He is entering the traditional Belmont prep race, the Peter Pan stakes. I can remember a horse name Coastal winning the Peter Pan and defeating the immortal Spectacular Bid several weeks later foiling his bid for the triple crown. I can remember traveling from Duke one fall to Laurel to see Spectacular Bid win the Laurel Futurity. The Peter Pan is one week earlier than the Preakness, thus giving the winner (or participant) an extra week of rest (in addition to the fact that Peter Pan participants are not likely to have run in the Kentucky Derby).

In more recent years great horses such as Sunriver, Purge, and A.P. Indy (who also won the Belmont), won the Peter Pan. A.P. Indy may be the most influential sire in the Triple Crown races this year.

Here are the Past Performances for this year's Peter Pan, courtesy of Briswatch:
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewer.php?track=BEL&race=9&date=2013-05-11

At 8-1 in the morning line, Battier is a good bet. He looks sharp, and there are no killers in the field. The most competition looks to come from Declan's Warrior (also sharp) and Abraham (has been racing in higher class).
Battier also benefits from a significant improvement in jockey; the pilot will be Joel Rosario, the winner of the Kentucky Derby and Dubai World Cup. He is the hottest jockey in the world.
This race is a move up in class, but the numbers suggest that Battier is ready for it.

Larry
DevilHorse

DevilHorse
05-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Horrible weather. A lot of rain. Trainer's scratch.

Larry
Devilhorse

DevilHorse
05-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Battier is in to go at Belmont, Race 2, on Wednesday 5/22/2013.
Here are the Past Performances courtesy of Briswatch:
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewer.php?track=BEL&race=2&date=2013-05-22

Declan's Warrior looms as the favorite, with Battier the logical second choice, in a 5 horse field. This is a 7 furlong (7/8 mile for those uninitiated) minor stakes race.

Larry
DevilHorse

moonpie23
05-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I would name my horse "82-50"

:cool:

DevilHorse
05-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Battier finished 3rd, 2 1/4 lengths, to Declan's Warrior. The pace was hot and the time was good. Battier had a rail skimming trip and had no excuses. Declan's Warrior is a top sprinter, so no shame in losing to him.

Here is a chart of the race, courtesy of Briswatch:
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?date=2013-05-22&track=BEL&country=USA&race=2&type=inc&print=on

Finishing 4th, 5 lengths behind Battier was "Duke Of The City"!!

Larry
Devilhorse

DevilHorse
06-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Folks,

Just noticed a maiden trotter (standardbred) win at Vernon Downs (near Syracuse) last night named "Laettner".
Won in 1:58.3 for one mile at odds-on. Went to the front and didn't look back.
Has a very nice trotting pedigree.

Larry
DevilHorse

DevilHorse
08-16-2013, 09:04 PM
The Trotter Laettner won a nice race in the Maryland Standardbred Development Fund last night, finishing first and getting half the $32K purse at odds of 3.3 to 1.

Battier, the thoroughbred, recently finished 3rd in a significant Turf race at Saratoga. Although I had a dilemma in considering advertizing it.
If I were to make a headline, I might have said, "Battier in the Hall of Fame." Would that have been false advertizing to get hits on my thread?
But Battier indeed was in the Hall of Fame Turf Race at Saratoga. Here is the result file, courtesy of Equibase:
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChart.cfm?tid=SAR&dt=08/09/2013&ctry=USA&day=D&STYLE=SAR&RACE=8&BorP=B

Larry
DevilHorse

DevilHorse
09-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Folks,

Battier is entered in the Pennsylvania Derby this weekend. He's an outsider, but it is not a crowded field (only 8 horses); and Battier has a closing kick at a track with a moderately long stretch. Oh yah, the purse is $1 Million, so any check will be sweet (5th place is $30K).

Here is the Past Performances, courtesy of Brisnet:
http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewer.php?track=PRX&race=11&date=2013-09-21

Larry
DevilHorse

DevilHorse
09-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Battier (the horse) finished 3rd by about 2.5 lengths in the Pennsylvania Derby. He won $111K for his troubles.
Here is the chart, courtesy of Brisnet:
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant.cgi?date=2013-09-21&track=PRX&country=USA&race=11&type=inc&print=on

Larry
DevilHorse