PDA

View Full Version : A Backhanded Compliment?

TNDukeFan
03-06-2013, 06:10 PM
http://deadspin.com/5987979/17-sports-moments-that-will-restore-your-faith-in-humanity

I'll save everyone some time, it's the same plot throughout.

moonpie23
03-06-2013, 06:48 PM
they storm the court cause:

1. Duke players are WINNERS

2. even a blind squirrel ......well, you know...

Lord Ash
03-06-2013, 07:10 PM
As I've said before.... Deadspin isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

Grey Devil
03-06-2013, 07:28 PM
I, for one, am proud to be a fan of a team that's had a "floor storming" 17 times against it (and probably even more since this is just video of what's been done in the last several years). I wonder if there's any other team that even approaches that number of "stormings?"

Of course, I would have loved to have won all those games so there wouldn't have been any, but I think of them as badges of honor, not something to be ashamed of.

I was writing this while watching the UNC-Maryland game, and ESPN just showed the Maryland fans storming the court twice. I know it sounds elitist, but it must be sad to be a fan of a team that you are so excited by a victory that you feel compelled to storm the court.

Grey Devil

OldPhiKap
03-06-2013, 07:37 PM
I, for one, am proud to be a fan of a team that's had a "floor storming" 17 times against it (and probably even more since this is just video of what's been done in the last several years). I wonder if there's any other team that even approaches that number of "stormings?"

Of course, I would have loved to have won all those games so there wouldn't have been any, but I think of them as badges of honor, not something to be ashamed of.

I was writing this while watching the UNC-Maryland game, and ESPN just showed the Maryland fans storming the court twice. I know it sounds elitist, but it must be sad to be a fan of a team that you are so excited by a victory that you feel compelled to storm the court.

Grey Devil

As a Duke student in the mid-80's I recall storming the court a few times.

I have no problem with students being that jacked about winning. We have almost become jaded by the ridiculous success we have enjoyed.

Billy Dat
03-06-2013, 07:56 PM
That's the best advertisement for the Duke program one could imagine. Amazing that beating Duke means that much to everyone else.

Tripping William
03-06-2013, 08:01 PM
As I've said before.... Deadspin isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

Manti Te'o and Jack Swarbrick wish it were so ....

Newton_14
03-06-2013, 08:07 PM

Grey Devil

I believe the latest count is 38 out of the last 44 road losses, and 41 out of the last 50. No other team is even close.

Jim3k
03-06-2013, 08:12 PM
I find the Deadspin thing to be hilarious. Sure, it gets a bit tedious after the tenth clip, but as I think about it, it is a great testament to the success of our teams--indeed, an opponent's jealousy is a badge of honor. I say revel in the glory of such losses. For Duke they often mark the road to a championship.

Our teams over the past half century have won a lot. An occasional loss doesn't hurt the program or the brand (well, it might pain us momentarily as fans). It is the return to the winner's circle, though, which validates the team's excellence. Knock our team down; it gets up--unvanquished. That's Duke basketball and hopefully, also University's goal for all of its students and alums. It's a great attitude to adopt and to embrace.

FerryFor50
03-06-2013, 08:35 PM
The thing is, opposing fans don't see it as a sign of respect - it's just piling on for them. And it's played out, sort of like the giant head signs every college in the nation busts out.

-bdbd
03-06-2013, 11:35 PM
20-30 years ago it generally felt spontaneous. Everyone was just so excited, thrilled by the big win that their emotions spontaneously carried them onto the court together on a cloud of happiness, pride.

Nowadays, more often than not, it just feels scripted. As in, "when we win, here's how we'll rush the court, and here's what we'll chant..." And everybody else is in on the joke b/c, as we saw in Whoo-ville, courts are getting rushed even by the FAVORED teams. So even the university and security are in on the joke, and can even pre-plan for it.

It just feels fake. Made for TV. Not fun, or exciting, and most certainly not spontaneous.

---

But, to respond to the earlier post, it doesn't MATTER that they aren't INTENDING to show us any respect, that they are just "piling on," at least in their minds. The real truth is that it IS a show of respect, however unintentional, b/c they don't do this for most other school. Only....consistently....for....Duke.

And that is respect.

Ichabod Drain
03-07-2013, 08:14 AM
20-30 years ago it generally felt spontaneous. Everyone was just so excited, thrilled by the big win that their emotions spontaneously carried them onto the court together on a cloud of happiness, pride.

Nowadays, more often than not, it just feels scripted. As in, "when we win, here's how we'll rush the court, and here's what we'll chant..." And everybody else is in on the joke b/c, as we saw in Whoo-ville, courts are getting rushed even by the FAVORED teams. So even the university and security are in on the joke, and can even pre-plan for it.

It just feels fake. Made for TV. Not fun, or exciting, and most certainly not spontaneous.

---

But, to respond to the earlier post, it doesn't MATTER that they aren't INTENDING to show us any respect, that they are just "piling on," at least in their minds. The real truth is that it IS a show of respect, however unintentional, b/c they don't do this for most other school. Only....consistently....for....Duke.

And that is respect.

I think that's the nostalgia talking.

It's definitely subconscious respect though. If you asked the fans after they storm the court, "why did you stormed the court." The vast majority of them wouldnt say it was because they beat a top ranked team or that it was an important game. You would hear "Because we beat Duke."

Dev11
03-07-2013, 08:46 AM
You would hear "Because we beat Duke."

Well, it wouldn't necessarily be in such succinct and careful terms, but yeah, that's the right idea. More of Coach K's favorite halftime words might get tossed in for effect.

DukeHLM'13
03-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Its funny how many of those court storming happened when we were playing another team ranked in the top 25, especially Carolina beating us when they were ranked 13!(really UNC, rushing the court as #13 in the country?)

Henderson
03-07-2013, 09:14 AM
If we continue the tradition of winning -- for example by winning the NCAAT this year -- the court storming will increase in frequency for road losses. I say bring it on. I like the inverse correlation between frequency of road losses and frequency of court storming when those losses occur.

TNDukeFan
03-07-2013, 09:55 AM
When the link was posted to my facebook page by my nephew -- who attended and works for UNC-CH, no less -- I thought about going thermonuclear in my answer. Instead, I went with the subtler "It took several seasons' worth of games to make that video, you'll notice."

He hasn't responded.

blazindw
03-07-2013, 10:00 AM
I got the clip several times from Miami buddies who were talking trash before the game last weekend. When we won, you know what I did?

Nothing. Winning was the best revenge.

killerleft
03-07-2013, 10:35 AM
I got the clip several times from Miami buddies who were talking trash before the game last weekend. When we won, you know what I did?

I would have sent them a copy of the same clip.

weezie
03-07-2013, 04:29 PM

I like it. Understated and classy. :cool: