PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC - 3/4-3/10

pfrduke
03-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Boston College is the official spoiler of the conference season. They tripped up both Maryland and Virginia when the Terps and Wahoos were coming off of big wins over Duke. Both teams' tournament prospects are far from solid (Maryland, especially, with the loss to Georgia Tech), and the matchup between the two at the end of the season might end up being an elimination game. Maryland at least has another chance at a solid win when they host the Tar Heels - Virginia has a much more likely win at FSU, but it would be much less impressive. Plenty of conference tournament seeding to be determined - 1 and 2 are almost (almost) foregone conclusions, as are 7* and 12, but the rest is very much up for grabs.

*A major benefit of being the 2 seed vs. the 3 seed is that FSU - which, win/loss record aside, might be the worst team in conference - is almost certain to be the 7 seed. It might even be a more favorable matchup than the 1 vs. 8. Of course, FSU would have to win the 7/10 game, which they almost certainly will not be favored in.

Monday was dark.

Tuesday is Senior Day in Durham and Clemson. Conveniently, both teams have conference bottom feeders coming through. Duke gets the Hokies, almost certain to be the conference's 12-seed. Clemson gets BC (the aforementioned spoilers) in an important seeding battle (as important as seeding battles get between 8-11).

[6]Duke hosts [153]Virginia Tech
[102]Clemson hosts [107]Boston College

Wednesday has what should be the best game of the weekdays in College Park with UNC going to visit the Terps. UNC has gotten a lot of pub since it went small, winning 5 straight by an average of 13/game (and the 6th was a loss by just 5 in Durham). They've risen to 29 in the Pomeroy ratings and 26 in the AP poll and are on a bit of a roll. In other action, Miami hosts Georgia Tech looking to clinch the regular season title all by their lonesome, and NC State hosts Wake.

[62]Maryland hosts [29]North Carolina
[13]Miami hosts [95]Georgia Tech
[36]NC State hosts [126]Wake Forest

Thursday puts Virginia at the Noles. This is a can't lose game for UVA.

[120]Florida State hosts [18]Virginia

Friday is dark.

Saturday has afternoon appetizers that will matter only for seeding before the big game at 9:00. Starting things off, BC hosts Georgia Tech. NC State travels to FSU - not can't lose game like it is for UVA, but the Pack's hope of getting a single-digit seed would be harmed by a loss here. Miami hosts Clemson - if they haven't already clinched the title outright, a win here would do it too. And then it's Duke-UNC.

[107]Boston College hosts [95]Georgia Tech
[120]Florida State hosts [36]NC State
[13]Miami hosts [102]Clemson
[29]North Carolina hosts [6]Duke

Sunday has what may be the week's most important game for getting into the NCAAs when Virginia hosts Maryland in the final regular season game of the year (in any conference - we'll give us the tiebreaker over Northwestern-MSU, the other 6:00 game). More is at stake for the Terps, particularly if UVA beats FSU - hard to think of an 11-7 ACC team with wins over Duke, UNC, and Wisconsin getting left out, whatever its record against the CAA. Earlier, the Hokies travel to Wake in a game that could be a battle for the 12 seed.

[126]Wake Forest hosts [153]Virginia Tech
[18]Virginia hosts [62]Maryland

ACC Non-Conference Record: 115-37
ACC vs. BCS Opponents: 19-18
(note - now that non-conference play is done the detailed record by conference won't be re-posted until we hit tournament play).

davekay1971
03-06-2013, 07:51 PM
There's no better proof of how Duke has surpassed UNC than the way every team treats their home game against Duke as their Super Bowl...and couldn't seem to care less about hosting UNC. Maryland, and their fans, seem completely listless about hosting the program that USED to be the king of the ACC.

The first half was Maryland and UNC competing to see who could make more bad turnovers and miss more open shots, with Maryland coming out ahead in the battle to be most unimpressive, gifting UNC with a 7 point lead heading into the locker room.

Unless things change in the second half, Duke will have to spank UNC on Saturday to have sole possession of 2nd place in the conference standings. And do we really want the Hole fans to simultaneously celebrate beating Duke AND tying us for 2nd place in the conference? No...no we do not.

Bob Green
03-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Maryland and Carolina were trading the lead back and forth for most of the 1st half before the Heels finished the half on a 10-0 run to take a 34-27 lead into the locker room. Maryland was taking advantage of their size but seemed to start settling for jump shots the last few minutes.

The 2nd half could be interested. I'm hoping for about five or six overtimes.:cool:

Tripping William
03-06-2013, 07:55 PM
The 2nd half could be interested. I'm hoping for about five or six overtimes.:cool:

Why so few? I'm hoping for, like, 107 of them. :)

Bob Green
03-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Carolina starting to open it up. Their run is up to 20-4 as the score is now 44-31.

dukelifer
03-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Carolina starting to open it up. Their run is up to 20-4 as the score is now 44-31.

Not watching but looks like UNC is hitting their 3's. Will be an interesting night on Sat.

davekay1971
03-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Maryland is doing their best impression of a turtle laying on its back in the middle of a freeway. Their post-Duke freefall is nearly complete. I fully expect Virginia to mop the floor with them on Sunday to lock themselves into the NCAAT and Maryland into...well...not.

TKG
03-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Not watching but looks like UNC is hitting their 3's. Will be an interesting night on Sat.

I would rather take the chance on their jump shooting than watch them blow by our perimeter defenders.

cptnflash
03-06-2013, 08:28 PM
I would rather take the chance on their jump shooting than watch them blow by our perimeter defenders.

I was watching... Maryland is playing terribly with their season on the line. One of the announcers used the word "inexplicable" to describe their passing.

FerryFor50
03-06-2013, 08:29 PM
As if I needed more of a reason to hate Maryland more... This egg laying performance against the Holes just adds the icing.

socaldukie
03-06-2013, 08:31 PM
If Duke and UNC tie for 2nd place in regular season who gets the #2 seed for the ACCT?

roywhite
03-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Maryland is doing their best impression of a turtle laying on its back in the middle of a freeway. Their post-Duke freefall is nearly complete. I fully expect Virginia to mop the floor with them on Sunday to lock themselves into the NCAAT and Maryland into...well...not.

Maryland fans: We'll always have memories of February. By the way, has anyone seen our couch, or did it go in the bonfire?

BlueDevilBrowns
03-06-2013, 08:34 PM

agreed. My hope is we continue to dial down the pressure because our Guards just don't have the lateral quickness to stop penetration and easy shots.

-jk
03-06-2013, 08:48 PM
agreed. My hope is we continue to dial down the pressure because our Guards just don't have the lateral quickness to stop penetration and easy shots.

And yet Erick Green said after the game this was the best defense he's seen all year.

-jk

dukelifer
03-06-2013, 08:53 PM
If Duke and UNC tie for 2nd place in regular season who gets the #2 seed for the ACCT?

Duke because they beat Miami

dukelifer
03-06-2013, 08:54 PM

If we can get McAdoo to shoot jumpers- then Duke will be fine

cptnflash
03-06-2013, 08:58 PM
And yet Erick Green said after the game this was the best defense he's seen all year.

-jk

Eesh... either he's misguided, or the Hokies have played an awful schedule.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-06-2013, 09:05 PM

-jk

I wonder if Scott or Larkin said that Saturday night?

I'm not a defensive expert but it seems obvious we struggle with help-defense. By backing off the perimeter, it should help keep drives for layups or point-blank shots from happening as routinely.

Newton_14
03-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Maryland, you... well, I can only use the word stink here. Rhymes with luck to clue you in. You go all in to make the Duke game your Super Bowl, then sit back and yawn for the heels, in a game where you desperately need a win to get into the tourney. What a lame effort from a lame program with a lame team and lame fans. Enjoy your one day stay in Greensboro, and enjoy your conference home schedule next season of BC, Vatech, Ga Tech, Wake, Pitt, Clemson, Miami, Virginia, and FSU. We look forward to the non-creative and vulgar chants you come up with for those yawner 7pm weeknights, and noon Saturday games on ESPNU.

Then you are off to the Big Whatever for 7pm road games at the likes of Iowa, Northwestern, and Minny. Enjoy the non-attention, and good luck in your quest of making the CBI 1 out of every 3 or 4 years or so.

Meanwhile, when we need a lift, we will pop in the DVD's of the Gone in 55 Seconds game, followed by the Final Four game where Shane and the boys spotted you 23 points and still ran you out of the gym on the way to Title 3.... Thanks for the memories!!

Ahhhhhh See Ya!!

-jk
03-06-2013, 09:22 PM
I wonder if Scott or Larkin said that Saturday night?

I'm not a defensive expert but it seems obvious we struggle with help-defense. By backing off the perimeter, it should help keep drives for layups or point-blank shots from happening as routinely.

As much as K loves the three, I think he wants to stymie their three. Only the most astonishingly good D can stop everything. Else, you pick your poison. K has - for years - chosen to stop the three. That leaves us out of position for rebounds, and leaves more of the lane open. But, overall, it seems to work.

-jk

Newton_14
03-06-2013, 09:38 PM
As much as K loves the three, I think he wants to stymie their three. Only the most astonishingly good D can stop everything. Else, you pick your poison. K has - for years - chosen to stop the three. That leaves us out of position for rebounds, and leaves more of the lane open. But, overall, it seems to work.

-jk

Which is exactly why K's defensive scheme against Miami Saturday worked. He took away the 3 Ball from Miami at all costs, and even though Miami was scoring often in the paint in the first half, they were only getting two's and Duke was keeping pace with 3's.

Duke defended the lane better in that 2nd half while still denying Miami the 3.

It will be the same this Saturday night. They will stay on the shooters (Hairston/Bullock and to a lesser degree McDonald) and force UNC to score inside the arc. UNC has size with their guards, but none of them are great at beating defenders off the dribble with quickness and attacking. Duke will need to deny the 3, and then try to rebound effectively enough to limit 2nd Chance points.

Meanwhile, Hairston or Bullock has to guard Kelly and Mason will be one on one in the paint with McAdoo. It will be a far different test than the one the heels faced in Rd 1.

I like our chances a lot.

devildeac
03-06-2013, 10:22 PM

-jk

Officials. Did he mention anything or talk to elmoron about the officials:rolleyes:?

Newton_14
03-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Officials. Did he mention anything or talk to elmoron about the officials:rolleyes:?

The refs were putrid last night. Green pushed off all night, and on two occasions literally lowered his shoulder and knocked Tyler to the floor. The first time they called the foul on Tyler (and not a blocking foul either), and the 2nd time called nothing. A 3rd time, Green pushed Tyler down to the floor again with no call, and I actually thought Tyler was going to get a technical. He got up and while resuming his position on Green who had just got the ball back, Tyler screamed at the ref and clapped his hands in anger with a scowl on his face looking right at the ref. He had had enough and I did not blame him. It was ridiculous. I was surprised the ref did not hit both Tyler and Daniel Ewing with a technical for that.

The defense on Mason inside was very physical as well. He got beat up all night.

Seth Greenburg may be gone, but the dirty play lives on under the new regime...

Furniture
03-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Good fight going down with GT vs. Miami.....

cptnflash
03-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Georgia Tech up 1 on Miami with 3 minute left?!

Furniture
03-06-2013, 10:50 PM
The refs were putrid last night. Green pushed off all night, and on two occasions literally lowered his shoulder and knocked Tyler to the floor. The first time they called the foul on Tyler (and not a blocking foul either), and the 2nd time called nothing. A 3rd time, Green pushed Tyler down to the floor again with no call, and I actually thought Tyler was going to get a technical. He got up and while resuming his position on Green who had just got the ball back, Tyler screamed at the ref and clapped his hands in anger with a scowl on his face looking right at the ref. He had had enough and I did not blame him. It was ridiculous. I was surprised the ref did not hit both Tyler and Daniel Ewing with a technical for that.

The defense on Mason inside was very physical as well. He got beat up all night.

Seth Greenburg may be gone, but the dirty play lives on under the new regime...

I met a Hokie at work today and was pissed about Duke. He said we got all the calls......LOL!

Furniture
03-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Why isn't the Miami game in tv?

Duvall
03-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Why isn't the Miami game in tv?

ACC Network split.

-jk
03-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Go Tech!

-jk

moonpie23
03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
MIAMI goes DOWN!!!!!!

vick
03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Tech wins on a last-second tip.

cptnflash
03-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Oh man, it's too bad our game is after Miami's on Saturday. Lessens the chance that our guys will be playing for a share of the ACC regular season crown. Still, hats off the GT for keeping the suspense alive for a few more days. Way to go, guys!

FourWins
WOW- GT with the putback for the win, 71-69!

ChrisP
This could get interesting if the 'Canes (more like a tropical depression at this point) drop their remaining game to the Tigers. How improbable would it be for us to have a shot at tying for 1st in the ACC regular season? Verrrry interesting! :cool:

Mabdul Doobakus
03-06-2013, 11:04 PM
With 3 losses in 4 games, a #1 seed is looking pretty improbable for Miami at this point. You could argue a #2 is in jeopardy, though for practical purposes, not sure how much #2 vs #3 really matters.

mr. synellinden
Unbelievable game, incredible finish, absolutely shocking outcome. College basketball is crazy.

What a letdown for Miami. Maybe a hangover from the Duke game. It just shows you - YOU HAVE TO BRING IT EVERY NIGHT.

devildeac
Go Tech!

-jk

Final: GT 71-UM 69

Big Reg flexed his way to a 3TO, 2PF and 2 point showing tonight.

Duvall
03-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Final: GT 71-UM 69

Big Reg flexed his way to a 3TO, 2PF and 2 point showing tonight.

Dirty little secret is that Johnson has been pretty ordinary since his return. Kadji and Gamble have more than picked up the slack.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Oh man, it's too bad our game is after Miami's on Saturday. Lessens the chance that our guys will be playing for a share of the ACC regular season crown. Still, hats off the GT for keeping the suspense alive for a few more days. Way to go, guys!

Well, 1 positive is it keeps the pressure squarely on Miami to win Saturday. Pressure clearly wasn't their friend tonight.

ChrisP

Not if The "U" gacks up another game like tonight, it won't :D

Furniture
Two stinkers in a row for big Rs.

wk2109
03-06-2013, 11:15 PM
After starting 4-0 in ACC games decided by 4 points or fewer, Miami's now dropped 2 in a row. I guess their luck is finally running out.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-06-2013, 11:23 PM
After starting 4-0 in ACC games decided by 4 points or fewer, Miami's now dropped 2 in a row. I guess their luck is finally running out.

The clock has struck midnight, and Reggie Johnson has turned into the Great Pumpkin.

Olympic Fan
03-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Okay, even with Miami's loss tonight, they are still locked into the No. 1 seed (they win a tiebreaker because of a better record against Virginia and or NC State).

Duke locked into the No. 2 seed with Tuesday night's win.

North Carolina is in an interesting spot. After their win tonight, they are one game behind Duke in second, but just one gme against of NC State in third (with Virginia trying to tie State Thursday night with a win at FSU).

If UNC beats Duke Saturday, the Heels tie us for second, but Duke gets the No. 2 seed and UNC gets the No. 3 seed (by virtual of Duke's win over Miami).

But if Duke beats UNC, the Heels will likely end up the No. 4 seed -- they lose all potential tiebreakers with State and Virginia. Head to head with State, they lose because State will have beaten Duke ... head-to-head with Virginia, they lose because Virginia beat Duke. If it's a three way tie, Virginia gets third (2-1 against UNC and State), UNC gets fourth (2-2 against UVa and State) and State gets fifth (1-2 against UNC and UVa).

Maryland, which just clinched an NIT bid by losing tonight, is one-half game ahead of FSU for sixth. Maryland is at UVa Sunday, so it pretty much comes down to whether FSU can get one more win -- home against UVa Thursday night or home to NC State this weekend. If Miami and FSU tie, then FSU wins the tiebreaker (they were 2-0 vs. the Terps).

This is a big one for Duke, since we probably get the one that finishes sixth -- either Maryland or FSU -- in the ACC quarterfinals. Personally, I'd rather face the Terps.

The bottom of the standings are a mess -- right now Georgia Tech and BC are tied for eighth, one game ahead of Wake and Clemson ... VPI is one game further back in 12th. I'm too tired to figure out the potential tiebreakers down there.

SupaDave
03-06-2013, 11:30 PM

An emotional game in Cameron and then a loss at home to Tech. Gregory actually did some coaching tonight.

The U still has cred but you have to wonder if there are some issues with expectations now. And there could be some physical issues with Scott after this game.

roywhite
03-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Dirty little secret is that Johnson has been pretty ordinary since his return. Kadji and Gamble have more than picked up the slack.

Ordinary is kind. 2 points total in his last 2 games.

He's missed some shots, but hasn't missed many meals.

matt1
03-06-2013, 11:51 PM
After Miami's loss to GT, it is worth noting that we can still earn a share of the ACC regular season.

devildeac
03-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Actually, not that much of a secret. I thought he had been less than mediocre. I was referring to his flexing at CIS last year when they beat us and I was particularly proud of his 0 point, 4 foul performance (IIRC) Saturday night against us;).

Henderson
03-07-2013, 01:13 AM
After Miami's loss to GT, it is worth noting that we can still earn a share of the ACC regular season.

Come on Clemson....

aro24
03-07-2013, 08:09 AM
I completely missed this last night. I was too busy watching Duck Dynasty :-)

Miami loses at home on last second tip in by Ga Tech.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330652390

ARo24

BlueDevilinNYC
03-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Guessing Miami just wanted save the net cutting celebration for their "Sixth-Year Senior Night"

AsiaMinor
03-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Look, I love Duke. I mean, I LOVE Duke. But, Miami is a heck of a good basketball team. They are going to be a threat to anyone not starting football sized linebackers. They give me bad dreams. Two losses in a row, but they are still a MAJOR threat to Duke and lots of other folks going forward so I'm not saying any bad words about them. We (Duke) have a lot of holes in our offense and defense to fix. God Bless Ryan for being back, but it's not going to be smooth sailing even with him. I'd rather be saying we beat a tremendous team giving their best effort than putting them down. (Wanders off back to the lurking pool.)

moonpie23
03-07-2013, 08:45 AM
i TOTALLY agree....they are gonna mess up some teams in the tourny......

i'm betting that our coaching staff learned more about them than they learned about us...

COYS
03-07-2013, 10:22 AM
i'm betting that our coaching staff learned more about them than they learned about us...

That, or we have Ryan Kelly and they don't =).

In all seriousness, Miami just needs to get back to defending. When they concentrate on defending and rebounding, their size, experience, and skill become too much for most teams. It seems that some of their guys have stopped focusing on the defensive end. I know they were missing players earlier in the year which probably exacerbates the disparity between their defensive and offensive rankings, but they really were a defense-first team during their big winning streak. Toward the end of their winning streak, their KenPom defensive rating has slipped all the way to 21 from somewhere in the top 10 (I can't remember how high they got, but I think it was 8), while their O rating has stayed the close to 30. They need to get back to their defensive ways if they want to make a deep NCAAT run.

A-Tex Devil
03-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Well, 1 positive is it keeps the pressure squarely on Miami to win Saturday. Pressure clearly wasn't their friend tonight.

ummmm.... and us. If we lose on Saturday, we tie the 'Heels for 2nd.

Henderson
03-07-2013, 01:02 PM
With all the hoopla surrounding that team this year, it's interesting that they didn't sell out the GT game. BankUnited Center only holds 8000. The Clemson game, however is sold out. Any doubts the johnny-come-lately fans will storm the court if they win? OK, so it clinches sole possession of their first regular season ACC title, but for gawdsake it's Clemson.

Of course, it would be a nice backhanded compliment to Clemson. Heaven knows they could use one.

sporthenry
03-07-2013, 02:46 PM
I wonder if anyone over at IC is still asking for the 3 point line to be eliminated? Perhaps they want to add a 4 point shot? Kind of funny how perspective changes everything.

Frobisher
03-07-2013, 08:06 PM
UVA down 8 early second half vs. FSU.

Maybe they crawl out of the hole, but they have 27 points in 24 minutes.
Teams really do collapse after they beat us this year.

Merlindevildog91
03-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Joe Harris just got Snaered.

I guess Mr. Jefferson never wrote about covering Michael Snaer when Mr. Jefferson's university was up by 1 with less than 10 seconds to go.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-07-2013, 09:11 PM
ummmm.... and us. If we lose on Saturday, we tie the 'Heels for 2nd.

True, but pressure isn't a new feeling for us. Besides, a UNC-Duke game always is pressure-filled regardless.

Wander
03-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Chance for a regular season ACC title still alive - Clemson and Miami tied at halftime.

davekay1971
03-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Well, Miami has taken control in the 2nd half. NC State in a battle with FSU, up 1 with 3:30 left. Foul trouble for both sides, but worse for State, keeping Leslie and Brown on the bench for long stretches of the game.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-09-2013, 04:19 PM
CJ Leslie = Not Clutch

davekay1971
03-09-2013, 04:36 PM
CJ Leslie = Not Clutch

All of NCSU = Not Clutch on this one!

Bob Green
03-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Maryland is wiping the floor with Virginia right now. It is 25-10.

sagegrouse
03-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Maryland is wiping the floor with Virginia right now. It is 25-10.

I watched Tiger stagger to victory at Doral and then tuned in the Md-Va game. Wow! Thirty-two to nineteen, Terps, at the half.

Wha' happened??

sagegrouse

Bob Green
03-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Wha' happened??

sagegrouse

I tuned in after the end of Indiana's victory over Michigan and Maryland was up 18-6. It appears to be a simple case of Maryland making shots while Virginia missed shots.

Bob Green
03-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Virginia has cut the lead to eight. It appears this game is going to be a battle. Virginia cannot afford to lose.

superdave
03-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Virginia has cut the lead to eight. It appears this game is going to be a battle. Virginia cannot afford to lose.

Nothing would make me happier in the next 20 minutes than for MD to leave the ACC as losers. 6 point game. Go to hell, Twerps.

superdave
03-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Mason, Seth, Green, Joey Harris, Larkin

Says he wished he could put Reggie Bullock on the list (?) for some reason.

2nd team. Bullock, Howell, Kadji, White Raven, and ACC pre-season player of the year Michael Snaer. Pre-season All-American James Michael Hall MacAdoo was left in the Harrison Barnes Memorial Waiting Room for interviews.

He's got Larkin for POY, Larranaga for COY and TJ Warren for FOY.

Reggie Bullock is averaging 14.2 and 6.4 for the record.

Bob Green
03-10-2013, 07:55 PM
All tied up, 52-52, with 1:35 to go.

Indoor66
03-10-2013, 08:17 PM
VA wins. MD loses.