PDA

View Full Version : Things I Like About This Board (and rant about thread retitlings)

78Devil
03-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Like many of us, I have been looking at alot of bulletin boards in the wake of both the UVa loss and the Miami win. For the most part, doing so has made me appreciate this BB so much more.

Things I am thankful for:

1. For the most part, thoughtful posts which try not to be rude or inflammatory. We may be drinking when we post, but we must hold our liquor better!
2. No stupid icons/photos with our names, taking up bandwidth and distracting from content (and making the posters seem a little stupid alot of the time).
3. For the most part, people don't go overboard cutting and pasting and repeating and cutting and pasting and repeating other people's comments, each time they respond, such that you can't even find the train of thought anymore.
4. Mods that keep us relatively on topic
5. Respect for our opponents (at least most of the time -- when they deserve it).

Like all things good in life, there are things we wish were better:

1. Sometimes, posters on this BB are so pollyanna-ish that people cannot post legit concerns or criticisms. Its occasionally refreshing to see the Scout board where someone will "call out" a poor performance and not get flamed. Or even just vent a little frustration.

2. I wish some of our threads would get closed and new ones started when something changes, rather than just re-titled. The problem with re-titling is that you don't know how far to go back to get the "new" news.

But as you can see, my list of things I am thankful for are a WHOLE lot longer and more meaningful. Thanks DBR!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-04-2013, 07:10 PM
I agree with most of this. I've been coming here for quite awhile - visiting for years before becoming a member - and I have come to expect much more rational discussion here than any other site that I visit.

The mods do the yeoman work here, and I, for one, appreciate that they tend to hedge on the side of decency and sanity rather than allowing any and all comments. If you want an "anything goes" message board, there are more than enough venues for that. This board is generally a safe haven for enthusiasm, analysis, and insight without the overflow of negative commentary and emotional outbursts.

I do get frustrated when season-ending losses lead to a locked board for 24 hours or so, but a quick tour around other sites will remind you quickly why it is done.

Here's to hoping for no locked board this month, and a superior end to the season. We have so many reasons to be optimistic going into tournament time.

Go Duke!

scottdude8
03-04-2013, 07:19 PM
1. Sometimes, posters on this BB are so pollyanna-ish that people cannot post legit concerns or criticisms. Its occasionally refreshing to see the Scout board where someone will "call out" a poor performance and not get flamed. Or even just vent a little frustration.

I agree strongly with your analysis here, but particularly with this point. I love DBR, but there have been times where I've seen someone who tries to start a thoughtful and logical discussion about a player's struggles or a particularly unintelligible coaching move and said person gets flamed (this has happened to me as well as seeing it happen to others). Someone can love Duke and Duke Basketball and our players while still criticizing them in an attempt to spark rational and respectful debate and discussion.

That being said, such a frustration is a quibble in the broad sense of things, but I hope you bringing this up can perhaps lead to a constructive discussion about how we can make this already great board better.

brevity
03-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Keeping it positive, I can think of two more things:

* The main forum is fairly active around the clock, even past midnight PST, which is unusual.
* There is a surprising lack of spam and bot-work among new entries and threads. It's either a great filter or ridiculously prompt cleanup. Kudos.

weezie
03-04-2013, 08:37 PM
I like the snacks!

OldPhiKap
03-04-2013, 08:38 PM
I agree with most of this. I've been coming here for quite awhile - visiting for years before becoming a member - and I have come to expect much more rational discussion here than any other site that I visit.

The mods do the yeoman work here, and I, for one, appreciate that they tend to hedge on the side of decency and sanity rather than allowing any and all comments. If you want an "anything goes" message board, there are more than enough venues for that. This board is generally a safe haven for enthusiasm, analysis, and insight without the overflow of negative commentary and emotional outbursts.

I do get frustrated when season-ending losses lead to a locked board for 24 hours or so, but a quick tour around other sites will remind you quickly why it is done.

Here's to hoping for no locked board this month, and a superior end to the season. We have so many reasons to be optimistic going into tournament time.

Go Duke!

Sucking up to the Mods won't help. They are way too smart, sophisticated, and downright decent to fall for such blatant kissbuttetry.

;-)

Faustus
03-04-2013, 08:41 PM
I like the BBQ, if such a word can be uttered here...

moonpie23
03-04-2013, 09:05 PM
not much BBq in here......mostly pig covered in vinegar......... :(

MCFinARL
03-04-2013, 09:56 PM
I like the snacks!

Wait--there are snacks?

ricks68
03-04-2013, 11:05 PM
not much BBq in here......mostly pig covered in vinegar......... :(

C'mon over to Texas, then. We don't serve no stinkin' vinegar or sweet sauce.:)

ricks

-jk
03-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Like many of us, I have been looking at alot of bulletin boards in the wake of both the UVa loss and the Miami win. For the most part, doing so has made me appreciate this BB so much more.

Things I am thankful for:

Like all things good in life, there are things we wish were better:

2. I wish some of our threads would get closed and new ones started when something changes, rather than just re-titled. The problem with re-titling is that you don't know how far to go back to get the "new" news.

But as you can see, my list of things I am thankful for are a WHOLE lot longer and more meaningful. Thanks DBR!

Thanks for the kind words (removed for brevity). As to concern #1, we have a policy specifically against venting. You can share concerns, but please keep them constructive. It's way too easy to tear people down on a board. We may overemphasize this point, but it's one we believe i

For #2, if you click the "new" button next to a thread, it will jump you down to the first post in the thread you haven't read - so long as you're logged in when you read. It remembers between devices, too.

(Oh, and to those who want to worship other foodstuffs mistakenly called BBQ, god help you.)

-jk

hurleyfor3
03-04-2013, 11:28 PM

This is nothing compared to the United Airlines board on FlyerTalk (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-consolidated-681/), a place I used to live.

There are usually very good reasons why thread titles are changed, and if nothing else I think we're pretty consistent on when injury/game threads are closed and how threads are named.

BD80
03-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Kudos to the mod that retitled the thread