PDA

View Full Version : Worst commentators/analysts

DukeWarhead
03-04-2013, 04:23 PM
I don't claim to know much about broadcasting, but I know what sounds like useful, worthwhile sports commentary and what sounds like garbage. I also understand my certain Duke bias here, but I have to say that listening to Seth Greenburg and, periodically, Matt Doh try to provide insight on college basketball is painful. I think they are pretty worthless as commentators. It's hard to put a finger on it, or offer a specific example, but their analysis seems like wasted airtime.
Sure, I guess the same can be said about a number of folks you see and hear on ESPN and other broadcasts, but I can't think of any others that made me feel compelled to comment on it. Guys like Packer, Elmore, and others can say stuff that make you shake your head, but they seem to know the game pretty well. If I turned the radio in a middle of a Seth Greenburg commentary, I'd probably assume it was just some shmoe whose realm of expertise is limited to the Sportcenter Plays of the Day.
Not everybody can be a Jay Bilas or Bobby Knight (who, IMO, gives fantastic color commentary and analysis even if he sounds bored doing it), but shouldn't you have to have some kind of talent for it before they throw you up there on the pre or post game analysis show??? It's one thing to be known for saying highly debatable stuff (Gottlieb), but another to sound like you know the game about as well as the average dude listening to the radio.
Of course this is nothing new, but Greenburg and Doh just bring it out of me.

hurleyfor3
03-04-2013, 04:35 PM
I don't mind Greenburg. In fact he's my favorite commentator named Seth and my favorite commentator with a Jewish name.

Is Len Elmore even on espn anymore? I don't recall hearing him this year. This is the way I'm going to appreciate Doris Burke -- next time I have suffer through Burke's zero-value-adding color commentary, I'll imagine Elmore doing it instead.

weezie
03-04-2013, 08:49 PM
This is the way I'm going to appreciate Doris Burke -- next time I have suffer through Burke's zero-value-adding color commentary, I'll imagine Elmore doing it instead.

I have to admit that Doris's hair looks a lot less broom straw colored in person. But she still needs to lose the blonde highlights.
Maybe I'll imagine Elmore in a fright wig instead. I think he may have actually made an appearance on CBS; somebody in scheduling must have lost a bet.
I cannot stand disgraced "coach" Bruce Pearl and others calling him "coach" all the time.

basket1544
03-04-2013, 09:02 PM
I don't have a problem with Doris Burke at all. She has had some announcing errors and gets tongue-tied sometimes, but nothing more than others do. She recently was the announcer for the Knicks Warriors game and she took time during Stephen's amazing game of more than 50 points to talk about how great Seth has been doing and about Coach K's influence on the Olympians and FIBA players that were playing in this game (JKidd, Melo, Tyson, and Steph).

theAlaskanBear
03-04-2013, 09:12 PM
I have to admit that Doris's hair looks a lot less broom straw colored in person. But she still needs to lose the blonde highlights.
Maybe I'll imagine Elmore in a fright wig instead. I think he may have actually made an appearance on CBS; somebody in scheduling must have lost a bet.
I cannot stand disgraced "coach" Bruce Pearl and others calling him "coach" all the time.

I like Burke, she has serious demeanor and calls a lot of NBA games. Sometimes she is kind of a bland color announcer but I prefer that over the blustery empty air types. I do have to say I find your comment a bit disappointing. Analyze her commenting and analysis, why is her hairstyle relevant to this conversation?

I actually don't mind Greenberg, although sometimes he tries to beat a point to death and just repeats himself. Bilas and Knight would be my favorite, although sometimes Knight can wander. Nothing beats a Schulman called game, unless they pair him with Dickie V.

cptnflash
03-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Man, you guys are a tough crowd. I think Doris and Seth are both great, at least relative to the alternatives. Seth has excellent on air presence, is the right mix of affable and snarky (unlike Gottlieb), and actually provides useful basketball insights and coaching perspectives from time to time. He's by far the best of the "fired coaches" crowd on ESPN... Gaudio and Pearl are waterboys compared to Greenberg. And Doris is knowledgable, clever (mostly), articulate, and provides appropriate energy without being overly dramatic. She can do Duke games any time, as far as I'm concerned.

In-game announcers I don't like include:
Dick Vitale (self-evidently awful)
Len Elmore (too grumpy)
Mike Patrick (pretty sure he's drunk most of the time)
Jay Williams (spouts cliches and is inarticulate while doing it)
Dino Gaudio (something about his voice just grates on me)

Unfortunately, with the exception of Gaudio, we get all of the above doing our games quite a bit.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-04-2013, 09:25 PM
There seems to be a high level of Doris Burke worship on the boards lately but honestly I find her boring. She's very competent and usually accurate, but boring.

And as long as we're being honest, I prefer to have men call men's games and women call women's games. I don't have a logical explanation, it's just preference I suppose.

Jimmy Dykes constant Kentucky worship is annoying and Mike Patrick has been terrible doing play-by-play for years. Clark Kellogg says nothing but yet talks constantly.

OK I'm done complaining now.

arnie
03-04-2013, 09:32 PM
There seems to be a high level of Doris Burke worship on the boards lately but honestly I find her boring. She's very competent and usually accurate, but boring.

And as long as we're being honest, I prefer to have men call men's games and women call women's games. I don't have a logical explanation, it's just preference I suppose.

Jimmy Dykes constant Kentucky worship is annoying and Mike Patrick has been terrible doing play-by-play for years. Clark Kellogg says nothing but yet talks constantly.

OK I'm done complaining now.

One stands heads above all others: Mike Patrick. There will never be a less knowledgeable announcer in any sport.

weezie
03-04-2013, 09:42 PM
I do have to say I find your comment a bit disappointing. Analyze her commenting and analysis, why is her hairstyle relevant to this conversation?

Hahaha, don't be disappointed. It isn't sexist!
Tim Brando and Mike Patrick both have terrifying comb-overs, there, is that better?!;)

She's far better covering the pros, which is probably where her heart is. Her college game is trite, sometimes sappy and rather amateur, repeating herself all the time.
OK, can I be excused now?

MCFinARL
03-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Man, you guys are a tough crowd. I think Doris and Seth are both great, at least relative to the alternatives. Seth has excellent on air presence, is the right mix of affable and snarky (unlike Gottlieb), and actually provides useful basketball insights and coaching perspectives from time to time. He's by far the best of the "fired coaches" crowd on ESPN... Gaudio and Pearl are waterboys compared to Greenberg. And Doris is knowledgable, clever (mostly), articulate, and provides appropriate energy without being overly dramatic. She can do Duke games any time, as far as I'm concerned.

In-game announcers I don't like include:
Dick Vitale (self-evidently awful)
Len Elmore (too grumpy)
Mike Patrick (pretty sure he's drunk most of the time)
Jay Williams (spouts cliches and is inarticulate while doing it)
Dino Gaudio (something about his voice just grates on me)

Unfortunately, with the exception of Gaudio, we get all of the above doing our games quite a bit.

I actually think Jay Williams has improved a lot. Won't say he is excellent but he is okay. Dino Gaudio's voice may bother you because of his tri-state (Ohio/W.Va/Pa) Appalachian accent--it's an acquired taste for those of us who grew up with it.

OldPhiKap
03-04-2013, 10:17 PM
I like Dino, I like Doris.

Mike Patrick is like a comfortable T-shirt that is familiar but past it's prime.

Len Elmore is the milk that went sour a long time ago.

Dickie V is the passionate uncle that stopped making sense years ago.

Bilas, Knight are the ones I am glad to hear.

Cameron
03-04-2013, 10:18 PM
I really like Dino Guadio if for nothing more than the fact that he actually breaks the game down. He understands the game and his love for it is palpable. I respect that madly.

There are other announcers that will actually attempt to break down a game, but they are few and far between. The higher profile guys, like Vitale and Kellogg, they are self-promoters and far too concerned about inventing new plays on words than they are actually calling the basketball game -- Kellogg's insistency to refer to players who have fouled out as being "Dairy Queen'd" is both bizarre and idiotic.

Vitale was the standard back in the day. He was at the top of his game in the mid part of the '90s. But he's a cartoon now.

Greg_Newton
03-04-2013, 10:24 PM
The only one worth mentioning in the same breath as Len Elmore is that ridiculous guy we had in Atlantis. Danny someone, maybe? Worst terper I've ever heard, which is saying something.

rthomas
03-04-2013, 10:43 PM
A better question is: how many times does this very thing get kicked around on DBR each year? good, bad, sucky, very sucky, Duke, anti Duke, hater, lover, Elmore, Elmore's Bizarro.

killerleft
03-04-2013, 11:04 PM
I must be a secret pyromaniac. My two favorites are Dan Bonner and Len Elmore. Worst are Vitale and Clark "Squeeze the Orange" Kellog. Bonner actually watches the game and makes comments pertinent to what he sees, which is rare for the breed. Kellog seems to be trying awfully hard to be the next Vitale.

Jim Nantz never gets mentioned in these threads. Is he the invisible man?

hurleyfor3
03-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Jim Nantz never gets mentioned in these threads. Is he the invisible man?

I've grown to like him. After the 2010 championship game he visited with the Duke students and the floor and (separately) I exchanged a few good-natured words with him. I like Mike Tirico better as a play-by-play guy, however.

killerleft
03-04-2013, 11:35 PM
I've grown to like him. After the 2010 championship game he visited with the Duke students and the floor and (separately) I exchanged a few good-natured words with him. I like Mike Tirico better as a play-by-play guy, however.

I like both Tirico and Nantz. Nantz is so good at being Mr. Vanilla he gets overlooked.

burnspbesq
03-04-2013, 11:50 PM
I loves me some Dan Bonner. He's the best. Coach Knight gives the most insight, but he gets so wrapped up in getting his point across that he loses the flow of the game. Bilas is good, but he's not at the Bonner level. G-Man is also good.

A couple of years ago, Westwood One paired Spiro Dedas, the Lakers' play-by-play guy, with Spanarkel, and they were really good together.

On the women's side, neither Doris nor anyone else can hold a candle to Deb Antonelli. Lobo is improving; she was surprisingly good on the ND-UConn game tonight.

I'll bet Bob McKillop, the Davidson coach, would be fantastic. He gives great press conference. Quin would probably also be very good.

I miss Jim Thacker. If you don't know who that was, get off my lawn, you rotten kids.

OldSchool
03-05-2013, 12:24 AM
THE WHITE RAVEN
(apologies to Edgar Allen Poe)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I snacked and sipped a brewsky,
Over many a quaint and curious website of Blue Devil lore,
While I nodded, nearly slumping, suddenly there came a thumping,
As of someone gently dribbling, dribbling on the Cameron floor.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `dribbling on the Cameron floor -
Only this, and nothing more.'

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
`Sir,' said I, `or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was nodding, and so gently you came dribbling,
And so faintly you came dribbling, dribbling on the Cameron floor,
That I scarce was sure I heard you' - here I opened the gym door; -
Darkness there, and nothing more.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no Crazy ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, `Wojo?'
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, `Wojo?'
Merely this and nothing more.

Back to my K’ville tent returning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I heard a thumping somewhat louder than before.
`Surely,' said I, `surely that is someone at a late night practice;
Let me see then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore -
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore; -
'Tis wind sprints and nothing more!'

Open here I flung the doors wide, when, in the dark I faintly spied,
In there stood a giant raven of Miami fame of days before.
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of bird (to-wit Larry), launched his shots from the Cameron floor -
Perched upon the three-point line, a favored spot upon the floor -
Air, and net, and nothing more.

Then this ivory bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance he wore,
`Though thy face be quite unshaven, thou,' I said, `art sure no craven.
Ghastly grim and low post raven wandering far from the paint to score -
Tell me whom the worst of all is, the commentator most to ignore -
Who’s the worst one to deplore?’

Thus I stood engaged in guessing, with my syllables expressing
To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into my bosom's core;
‘Is it Digger you say? or the Bilastrator? He is not convincing.
Or Dickie V it must surely be, for no one is more annoying than he -
Tell me raven! Unless it be Greenberg or Pearl or Raftery?
Say, or be silent evermore!’

`Prophet!' said I, `thou a Blue Devil, and prophet still, if a lame Blue Devil! -
Whether tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Hobbled yet all undaunted, in this stadium enchanted -
On this home court by loss unhaunted - tell me truly, I implore -
Who is worst talking head? - tell me - tell me, I implore!!'
Quoth the raven, `LEN ELMORE.'

Edouble
03-05-2013, 01:42 AM
The only one worth mentioning in the same breath as Len Elmore is that ridiculous guy we had in Atlantis. Danny someone, maybe? Worst terper I've ever heard, which is saying something.

Donny Marshall.

Ugh, I had almost forgotten him too!

tommy
03-05-2013, 02:01 AM
Plenty of sorry excuses for announcers out there, but it's Mike Patrick who is so unbelievably bad that he makes me think to myself, "what are the bosses at ESPN thinking when they listen to him? Are they really saying to themselves, 'yes. That's what we want in an announcer."?

As for the other end of the spectrum, there's nobody like this (http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Gus_johnson_audio), and even he has been moved off the reservation this year. Huge, huge waste of talent, as unless the knowledgeable, focused, and funny Bilas or Knight or the knowledgeable and focused Gaudio are on the mike, we're left with little but blandness, or worse.

Lunchab1es
03-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Least Favorite: Len Elmore
Favorites: Bilas, Vitale (I love his passiooooooon!)

dukeENG2003
03-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Knight is awesome, but does lose flow of the game sometimes to make a point. Dan Shulman is actually pretty good too, balances out Vitale's ridiculousness.

Personally, I can't stand Bilas. He seems more interested in showing off that he is smart and that he is not Duke biased than in actually calling the game accurately. I actually preferred Hubert Davis to him.

Bonner is good, along with Nantz.

Raftery, Kellog and Elmore are the worst of the bunch (other than Donny Marshall, but he doesn't really count).

Best commentated college game I've ever seen though was when Mark Jackson and Jeff van Gundy did the announcer swap night. That may have been the best announcer pair ever. Mike Breen does an admirable job filling in for Jackson, but its still not as good as those two were together.

Saratoga2
03-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Vitale
Digger Phelps (Duke hater)

ESPN loves color men who dress up in strange costumes and try to make the story about them rather than the game. It's ESPN's fault since them must be able to see how bad some of these guys are.

killerleft
03-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Vitale
Digger Phelps (Duke hater)

ESPN loves color men who dress up in strange costumes and try to make the story about them rather than the game. It's ESPN's fault since them must be able to see how bad some of these guys are.

Digger is such a joke that I don't even consider him worthy of criticism. So... how does he keep his job? I actually attended the press conference after Johnny Dawkins stuffed David Rivers' shot way back when. He came across as an arrogant tool then. Now he's a useless and arrogant tool. Digger makes Mike Patrick and Dickie V look like broadcasting's best. I'm surprised he hasn't been shot by a leprechaun!:D He's a cute curmudgeon, though.

Lar77
03-05-2013, 10:24 AM
While we're at it, don't forget Billy Packer - an otherwise decent color man who couldn't get past his personal dislike of Duke and UNC.

I always liked Dickie V, but the description of him as the old uncle sums it up. He's passionate about the game and a true ambassador for college basketball, but really doesn't do much color on the game in front of him anymore.

Bobby Knight calls it the way he sees it, offers some great insights, but doesn't get in the way of the game. The best right now.

Dino has been good in the games that I've seen him. Haven't seen Jay B or Jay W in a while.

Retire Digger and his highlighters - Michigan is using them on their uniforms anyway.

rsvman
03-05-2013, 10:27 AM
I just have to acknowledge Old School's "Raven" parody poem post.

Awesome.

I hated Billy Packer the most. Everything was negative. If a guy made a great move, Packer called it as bad defense. Every. Stinking. Time. Or, if a guy made a great steal, Packer called it as a bad pass.

davekay1971
03-05-2013, 10:41 AM
THE WHITE RAVEN
(apologies to Edgar Allen Poe)

Quoth the raven, `LEN ELMORE.'

This post needs to be on a sticky somewhere. That's too awesome to disappear into the deep dark depths of the sea of back-page threads.

And, agree with the raven's opinion. Len is the worst.

Donny Marshall, from Atlantis, hasn't had the career duration to compete with Len. One horrible tournament can't match decades of horrible commentary. If Donny keeps going however, and matches his level of putridity from Atlantis over the course of a career of making my ears bleed, then he can compete with Len...maybe. But someone catching Len's record for fetid commentary is tough - it takes consistency and longevity. Not sure even Donny has the talent to catch Len.

COYS
03-05-2013, 10:45 AM
I just have to acknowledge Old School's "Raven" parody poem post.

Awesome.

I hated Billy Packer the most. Everything was negative. If a guy made a great move, Packer called it as bad defense. Every. Stinking. Time. Or, if a guy made a great steal, Packer called it as a bad pass.

Packer was basically Scrooge calling a basketball game, especially when it came to Duke or UNC games. His negativity intensified towards the end of his career. Now, it seems Elmore has taken this mantle. Elmore will occasionally praise a player, but even then his praise is often juxtaposed with heavy criticism of what the opponent did wrong. There is value in his knowledge of the game, but he's biased towards big men and also has a hard time disguising his distaste for Duke and UNC, at times. He also has a habit of getting hung up on a single point of emphasis (usually post play) and misses opportunities to highlight great guard play.

Over the past few years, my schedule has rarely allowed me to watch games live, which is too bad because I can listen to the radio while watching the game on TV. Watching the game after the fact has led me to make frequent use of the mute button. Count me as one who rarely uses the mute button during a Burke-called game. She might be a little dry or vanilla in her style, but I vastly prefer that to the negativity of Elmore or the hyperbole of Vitale. I also don't get any anti-Duke bias from her, at all. She has been generous in her praise of Seth all season long. She has been very fair with Mason, who has struggled a bit more once ACC play rolled around. In the rather long list of Duke haters, Doris Burke is nowhere to be found, in my opinion, and I'd rather she call a game than the vast majority of the Worldwide Leader's other commentators.

nmduke2001
03-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Every now and then, I will watch the UNM games so I can have something to talk about with a few of my co-workers. A lot of their games have been on the CBS Sports Network. The usual crew is Dave Ryan along with analyst Steve Lappas. On his own, Steve Lappas is terrible but for special occasions, CBS sends Doug Gottlieb to make a three man booth. This is what listening to a game in hell would sound like. Gottlieb is so ill-informed that it's laughable.

One game, native New Mexican Alex Kirk was playing particularly well. Gottlieb thought it was appropriate to compare Kirk to our own Taymon Domzalski. Something about how Kirk decided to stay in New Mexico unlike Taymon Domzalski who went to Duke and suffered under Coach K. I guess Gottlieb forgot about how well Taymon played as a freshman until all the injuries started to add up.

Last game, Kirk was again playing well and Gottlieb called him the second “A bomb” with the first coming from Roswell. Later, he said that he had received a tweet that informed him that the first “A bomb” came from Los Alamos. He then decided that information made his thought better because Kirk is also from Los Alamos.

Please pray that Gottlieb does not get any NCAA tourney games.

On a brighter note, I still think that Greg Anthony is really good. Too bad Gus Johnson is no longer with CBS.

Wander
03-05-2013, 11:06 AM
There are plenty of guys who have styles I don't like, but the only guy who I think is legitimately terrible at his job is Digger. All he does in his "analysis" is read from box scores - it's clear he doesn't watch the actual games closely. I remember hearing rumors that he often snoozes while the actual games are on, which is the least surprising thing ever.

The best guys are Bob Knight and the NBA team when they do that announcer swap thing, in that I actually learn something while watching games.

I'd like Bilas if he'd stop outrageously blaming the NCAA every time he stubbed his toe or something.

It's a crime against humanity that Gus Johnson isn't doing tournament games.

Henderson
03-05-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm sort of surprised that so many announcers/commentators draw such strong reactions from so many -- mostly negative. I'm mostly lukewarm about nearly all of them. I just don't have strong feelings one way or the other on them. Here are my exceptions:

Strong Likes (I'd watch a game just because they were announcing): Jay Bilas, Bob Knight. Bilas is the absolute best in terms of knowledge, preparation, and communication. RMK just knows a lot about basketball.

Strong Dislikes (Sound must be off to avoid having to take antipsychotic meds): Dougie Gottlieb (my God, it's like they pulled a fan off the street and told him to act like he knows stuff he doesn't have a clue about), Billy Packer (Duke hater. Ungodly negative).

Special Separate Category: Dick Vitale. I used to like his enthusiasm and sense of humor, but listening to him is a lot like living next to the railroad tracks. Enough of the noise already. Plus his cliche phrases are so so faded. Rodney Dangerfield was a funny guy, but I wouldn't want to drive across the country with him.

The rest I can take or leave.

Henderson
03-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Dougie Gottlieb at his best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsmSbauNRGg

What's sad is that it's so typical.

jmck214
03-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Donny Marshall.

Ugh, I had almost forgotten him too!

I agree Donny Marshall was horrendous in Atlantis but I think that's more because he doesn't know a thing about college bball. Here in New England he does an excellent job in the studio for Celtics games and also as the color for road games when Tommy Heinson doesn't feel like fighting with the refs. Donny does hate Duke though.

This also becomes a problem in the NCAA's when TNT brings Ernie Johnson's crew in and they try talking about the college game after not following it all year

-bdbd
03-05-2013, 11:44 AM
I'm sort of surprised that so many announcers/commentators draw such strong reactions from so many -- mostly negative. I'm mostly lukewarm about nearly all of them. I just don't have strong feelings one way or the other on them. Here are my exceptions:

Strong Likes (I'd watch a game just because they were announcing): Jay Bilas, Bob Knight. Bilas is the absolute best in terms of knowledge, preparation, and communication. RMK just knows a lot about basketball.

Strong Dislikes (Sound must be off to avoid having to take antipsychotic meds): Dougie Gottlieb (my God, it's like they pulled a fan off the street and told him to act like he knows stuff he doesn't have a clue about), Billy Packer (Duke hater. Ungodly negative).

Special Separate Category: Dick Vitale. I used to like his enthusiasm and sense of humor, but listening to him is a lot like living next to the railroad tracks. Enough of the noise already. Plus his cliche phrases are so so faded. Rodney Dangerfield was a funny guy, but I wouldn't want to drive across the country with him.

The rest I can take or leave.

x2 !!

Almost identical sentiments. I don't have time/interest to really pay much attention to them, so my feelings are generally lukewarm to most. I look for my announcers to help explain what is going on, stay in the background, and just generally and fairly quietly ]inform[/U]. Those that seek to color the storyline towards their usually slanted perspectives, well, to me they are unprofessional or worse. Same for those who make it about themselves.

I like Bilas and Knight - they both are knowledgable and usually well-prepared. One pairing that is growing on me is Jay-Wil and Seth Greenberg. They both seem knowledgable and articulate, even if Seth doesn't make much effort to disguise his dislike of all things Duke (and apparently roots against us). But they both add some value.

Dislikes: Packer - it was well past time for him to go. I will never forgive his one-sided commentary on the 2001 National Semis. Gottlieb just comes across as obnoxios and well too full of himself. Not sure how he got that gig in the first place. Elmore, in addition to his obvious dislike of UNC and Duke, has gotten old. As was stated above, he can lose focus and seems generally obsessed with the bigs. To be fair, though, it often seems like most announcers are former guards, or coaches, and they maybe UNDER-appreciate the play of the bigs. Elmore is a smart guy, but that doesn't mean unbiased.

Vitale I like, in the same way that I genuinely like my old uncle Larry, whose deep, kindly love of the game is obvious, and you have to respect his history, but as you say I couldn't take in long doses without LOTS of alcohol...

jmck214
03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Anybody mention Rafterry? I know he doesn't do too many Duke games (I think the reg semi v. Zona was his last) but I think he brings a lot and I love his one liners. "Lingerie on the deck" "a kiss" "a smooch" "a little nylon" "onions." Him and Gus together were great.

I also like Doris and it seems like she likes Duke. She's always trying to talk up Murphy which I think has something to do with them being from the same town in RI

jipops
03-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Bob Knight is the best college color commentator hands down. And he's perfect for the over-40 demographic. I really like the Raftery-Bilas combination as well. You get the analysis from both as well as the entertainment value from Raftery.

I've loathed Vitale's commentary since the 80's. I'm sure he's a really good guy in person, but listening to him on tv is like fingernails on chalkboard. On the other side of the spectrum Elmore and Gottlieb are overly cynical and usually seem to be commentating on officiating more than the game itself. Bill Walton actually isn't that bad if you can get over the fact that he's in love with himself. For the NCAA tournament Spanarkel has been very good and I've always liked Lewis Johnson.

I think my favorite announcer is Doug Collins. I know he only did NBA games and now he's out of the broadcast booth and back on the bench, but I don't think there is anyone who does better color commentary on a basketball game than Doug... my opinion. I hope he does college games when he's done with coaching.

chaosmage
03-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Bilas - Spends too much time blaming NCAA, albeit rightly so in many cases. Very knowledgeable about basketball, but does go out of his way to "unbias" himself.
Digger - Please. My wife, who knows only what she's seen since meeting me, saw Digger messing around and dancing with the cheerleaders and wanted to call the cops on him for sexual harassment.
Billy Packer - There is a special place in hell for the negatives like this guy. Someone with more knowledge can correct me, but I know he played for Wake and I can't remember if he was successful against Duke/UNC or vice versa, but the crowning moment for him was the NCAA announcement of the field, and he called out the chair for putting George Mason in the field. We know how that turned out, and I believe that was his last year.
Gottlieb - I'd be a real wanker to say what I truly felt about this creature wearing the skin of a man.
Hubert - A little UNC bias, but actually had no problem admitting UNC's faults.
Jay Williams - Great commentator, and yes, I have some bias there. Proud of him and what he's done to create a wonderful career.
Vitale - The wife makes me mute the TV when he's on. That say enough?

Does the TV still have that short delay, because I can get the audio broadcasts off of Sirius and other places, and would love to hear the Duke RN call the game while watching it in time on the big screen.

Just my 2p

Zeke
03-05-2013, 12:38 PM
I think a pox on all of them. I get so upset when the announcers go off on discussing between themselves something else and never mention who the foul was on or what the last call was. Dicky V. and Doris B. seem to be the worst, but all of them seem to think that I'm watching this game to hear them talk. Another thing that is this old man's pet peeve is when there is a close play and then the TV goes to a replay of a play that happened well before that. .

gumbomoop
03-05-2013, 12:56 PM
My favorites are Dan Bonner and Dan Dakich. G-Man good, too. I like Doris Burke most of the time.

Quite a few dislikes, so I'll refrain.

chaosmage
03-05-2013, 01:01 PM
I think a pox on all of them. I get so upset when the announcers go off on discussing between themselves something else and never mention who the foul was on or what the last call was. Dicky V. and Doris B. seem to be the worst, but all of them seem to think that I'm watching this game to hear them talk. Another thing that is this old man's pet peeve is when there is a close play and then the TV goes to a replay of a play that happened well before that. .

And it's even worse; call me biased, but if it's something that could cause Duke bias, like taking a charge, they'll replay it from 5 angles. But if it is a call that helps the other team... replay? What replay? We can do that? You think this is the future or something?!

Grrr...

g-money
03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Digger is such a joke that I don't even consider him worthy of criticism. So... how does he keep his job? I actually attended the press conference after Johnny Dawkins stuffed David Rivers' shot way back when. He came across as an arrogant tool then. Now he's a useless and arrogant tool. Digger makes Mike Patrick and Dickie V look like broadcasting's best. I'm surprised he hasn't been shot by a leprechaun!:D He's a cute curmudgeon, though.

I enjoy listening to Digger to see if he can even come close to making a cogent point. 99-100% of the time it's just babble.

Frobisher
03-05-2013, 02:29 PM
We should add to this thread who we think should replace some of these miscreants either now, or in the case of current coaches, when they retire.

I would think Calipari would be a good on air presence if he could keep the egotism and bias in check. (As much as I dislike him as the head of a program - he's ready made for TV). I mean, c'mon, you can hate this guy, but he'd be a major upgrade at the Bruce Pearl position. Geno Auriemma comes to mind here, too.

Dan Patrick is incredibly loose on his current program, but I bet he could tighten it up and call a decent game as a color man.

In the Carolinas, David Glenn comes to mind as someone who could cover the ACC capably.

And of our ranks? Shane, of course, could master the skill of broadcasting; he'd give Reggie Miller fits. JJ is also incredibly well spoken these days; I bet he could be molded into shape, too, once he retires.

gwlaw99
03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Vitale is by far my least favorite broadcaster because he brings nothing to a broadcast at all and his schtick is beyond old. I mute the game every time he is on. What's worse is that he associated with Duke.

Lar77
03-05-2013, 03:25 PM
I know it doesn't count because we're focused on TV, but this guy works hard. Knows the other team as well as anybody, doesn't have a big bias, and can describe the action.

How many people watch ESPN (sound muted) with the radio on? How sweet it is.

tommy
03-05-2013, 04:39 PM
It's a crime against humanity that Gus Johnson isn't doing tournament games.

Amen to that.

75Crazie
03-05-2013, 04:52 PM
I always assumed that the excuse for putting Digger on the game day shows is that he is basketball's answer to football's Lee Corso. I do not understand the reason behind either's existence on those shows, to be honest.

NashvilleDevil
03-05-2013, 06:36 PM
I always assumed that the excuse for putting Digger on the game day shows is that he is basketball's answer to football's Lee Corso. I do not understand the reason behind either's existence on those shows, to be honest.

People like Corso though. He's never negative about anyone and the kids love him.

CDu
03-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Just to be fair, we should distinguish between announcers between play-by-play guys (like Patrick, Schulman, Tirico, Musberger, etc) from analysts/color commentators (Williams, Bilas, Phelps, Vitale, etc).

Patrick is, in my opinion, the worst of the play-by-play guys. He rarely knows what is going on, regularly refers to players by incorrect names, and gets overly excited about mundane occurrences.

Tirico is my favorite of the play-by-play guys. He usually keeps it on topic, he does his homework, and he's not afraid to call out a color commentator for saying something ridiculous.

As for analysts/commentators, I think Vitale is the worst. He rarely pays attention to the game anymore (hasn't for years). And he likes to provide commentary on just about everything except for the game itself (including, and perhaps most often, on topics he knows virtually nothing about).

There are very few guys who I think do a good job of analysis, but Gaudio and Dakich are two of the few that do. I think they're the best in my opinion.

OldPhiKap
03-05-2013, 06:46 PM
People like Corso though. He's never negative about anyone and the kids love him.

That was my thought as well.

Really, are there folks who think "I can't wait to hear what Digger thinks?"

Time for a change.

juise
03-05-2013, 07:09 PM
A collective groan from the posters in this thread as Len Elmore's in Cameron tonight.

sporthenry
03-05-2013, 08:15 PM
A collective groan from the posters in this thread as Len Elmore's in Cameron tonight.

I continue to love the narrative about how Duke "only" won by 3 against another top 5 team and needed all of Kelly's 36 points. Like somehow saying Duke was lucky to win the game since Kelly won't score 36 points every game.

I guess the Bulls were lucky all those times Jordan put up 50/60 points.

AGDukesky
03-05-2013, 08:29 PM
I continue to love the narrative about how Duke "only" won by 3 against another top 5 team and needed all of Kelly's 36 points. Like somehow saying Duke was lucky to win the game since Kelly won't score 36 points every game.

I guess the Bulls were lucky all those times Jordan put up 50/60 points.

So true. And they somehow never mention Duke was coming off a physical road game less then 48 hours before...

Duvall
03-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Not sure how this thread isn't just "LEN ELMORE" written over and over again Jack Torrance-style.

roywhite
03-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Poor Len Elmore.

He's a tormented soul; strives to be calm, even-handed, and insightful, but simply can not resist the urge to don a striped shirt and start making foul calls and commentary on fouls. And usually with an agenda.

He deserves more pity than scorn. Len has become a sad caricature.

OldPhiKap
03-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Poor Len Elmore.

He deserves more pity than scorn. Len has become a sad caricature.

I would agree if I could find a single redeeming quality.

Cannot do it.

When he talked about the one fairly called game, and that VT won it -- I turned off te sound and put on an Allman Brothers disc and hit the mute button.

Les Grossman
03-05-2013, 09:06 PM
UConn Donny & Len Elmore
ugh, I don't think I could listen to that duo, even (or especially) if they were calling a Duke game.

Les Grossman
03-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Not sure how this thread isn't just "LEN ELMORE" written over and over again Jack Torrance-style.
Close the thread, we have a winner

BlueDevilBrowns
03-05-2013, 09:12 PM

Nel Eromle, Nel Eromle, Nel Eromle...

sporthenry
03-05-2013, 09:24 PM
And to finish the night off, Len saying that it was a shame the crowd didn't recognize Greene when he left. Yes, our senior night, and we should recognize Greene. Boy I hope UNC sends off Curry, Kelly and Mason with a nice ovation as well.

diveonthefloor
03-05-2013, 09:36 PM
I know it doesn't count because we're focused on TV, but this guy works hard. Knows the other team as well as anybody, doesn't have a big bias, and can describe the action.

How many people watch ESPN (sound muted) with the radio on? How sweet it is.

I love Bob like all other Dukies, but man .... has he lost a step or two! Mistakes are getting way too prevalent. A few games ago in an end game situation when
Duke needed a stop to win, they got it...but as the buzzer sounded, Bob didn't realize what the score actually was...and said that we were going into overtime.
John Roth bailed him out then, and bails him out a lot.
I wish Bob would retire from PBP and maybe stick around for pregame and postgame show.

But then, who would take over the PBP microphone?

wsb3
03-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Well I would repeat exactly what i said about Len Elmore and his totally objective analysis. But the Mods would swoop in and I would be placed on probation.or worse banished. it amazes me that this guy must not have a boss.

still waiting for him to say a call should have gone Duke's way..and waiting...and waiting.........

burnspbesq
03-05-2013, 09:41 PM
For a lacrosse guy with no known basketball background, I thought Paul Carcaterra did a pretty good job as the sideline reporter tonight. Both of his questions to Chris at halftime were incisive.

BlueandWhite
03-05-2013, 10:12 PM
And to finish the night off, Len saying that it was a shame the crowd didn't recognize Greene when he left. Yes, our senior night, and we should recognize Greene. Boy I hope UNC sends off Curry, Kelly and Mason with a nice ovation as well.

You aren't serious, he really said this on the air? (I unfortunately couldn't watch the game) Elmore is horrible, I wish he'd just go away.

I forget - does he also do ACC tournament games? I know that sadly he's part of the CBS crew for NCAA tournament.

FerryFor50
03-05-2013, 10:20 PM

Not only does Duke get all the calls, it also gets all of the standing ovations. A shame.

tendev
03-05-2013, 10:22 PM
I would agree if I could find a single redeeming quality.

Cannot do it.

When he talked about the one fairly called game, and that VT won it -- I turned off te sound and put on an Allman Brothers disc and hit the mute button.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt when I thought he said "fairly well played game". But you're right, that is what he said. That is about as absurd a comment as that the fans were supposed to give Green a standing ovation too. Green who Len? Green is good but he is not on our team.

sporthenry
03-05-2013, 10:24 PM
You aren't serious, he really said this on the air? (I unfortunately couldn't watch the game) Elmore is horrible, I wish he'd just go away.

I forget - does he also do ACC tournament games? I know that sadly he's part of the CBS crew for NCAA tournament.

It depends about the ACCT. I want to say Dickie V has done it in the past. Usually Bilas and his crew do the Big East. They might send Dickie V to do the Big 10. The only other person who I think covers the ACC apart from Elmore is Burke so if Dickie V goes big 10, it could be bad.

As for NCAA tourney, he does do that but he is usually on one of the worst broadcasts so we shouldn't have to worry about seeing/hearing him much especially in the S16.

hurleyfor3
03-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Normally espn splits the acc tournament broadcasts. The have underlings cover Thursday/Friday, with Patrick and Vitale doing Sat/Sun. The sideline babes may even be on a separate schedule, for example Erin Andrews did Fri/Sat/Sun in 2010, but she wasn't there Thursday night (forget who was).

Lord Ash
03-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Len Elmore was STUNNINGLY bad tonight. Just... Stunning. I can't recall ever hearing a more game-consistent biased take on the fouls in a game (and the non-calls) in my twenty some odd years of Duke basketball. Josh gets hammered on a foul... Elmore says Josh has to leave room for the VT player. Mason makes a post move every big makes? The refs didn't get the memo that they are trying to clean up post play. Calls on VT were ticky-tacky, but possible calls on Duke are shown on replay and Len makes sure to point out they were bad calls. The only VT win at Cameron in recent memory? Yep... the first darn thing he says about it is that it was a well officiated game. Right Len, we dont have any idea what you could possibly mean!

The whole "Why didn't the Duke kids acknowledge Green" thing (which lasted more than, say, a single mention!) that he finished it off with was just the icing on the cake.

Incredible. And no, a single call for a VT player to not flop doesn't somehow even it out.

NashvilleDevil
03-05-2013, 10:57 PM
In think Len snapped when he announced the Gone in 60 seconds game. I remember he did the Kentucky game with Lundquist and I thought he was fine. I also thought he was good for other Duke games prior to 2001.

basket1544
03-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Since Len Elmore is a Twerp, does he go to the Big 10 next year with Maryland? Do we get new announcers that have been calling Syracuse games now?

hurleyfor3
03-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Since Len Elmore is a Twerp, does he go to the Big 10 next year with Maryland? Do we get new announcers that have been calling Syracuse games now?

I hope; we just might get Dick Groat!

Frobisher
03-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Len Elmore was STUNNINGLY bad tonight. Just... Stunning. I can't recall ever hearing a more game-consistent biased take on the fouls in a game (and the non-calls) in my twenty some odd years of Duke basketball. Josh gets hammered on a foul... Elmore says Josh has to leave room for the VT player. Mason makes a post move every big makes? The refs didn't get the memo that they are trying to clean up post play. Calls on VT were ticky-tacky, but possible calls on Duke are shown on replay and Len makes sure to point out they were bad calls. The only VT win at Cameron in recent memory? Yep... the first darn thing he says about it is that it was a well officiated game. Right Len, we dont have any idea what you could possibly mean!

The whole "Why didn't the Duke kids acknowledge Green" thing (which lasted more than, say, a single mention!) that he finished it off with was just the icing on the cake.

Incredible. And no, a single call for a VT player to not flop doesn't somehow even it out.

Someone put together an And1 style mix type of Len's greatest hits from tonight and send it to his employer. You can even scratch the record when he's suggesting that Green deserved a standing O; it needs to be heard more than once.

If anyone could bear it, it would make a nice YouTube...

sporthenry
03-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Someone put together an And1 style mix type of Len's greatest hits from tonight and send it to his employer. You can even scratch the record when he's suggesting that Green deserved a standing O; it needs to be heard more than once.

If anyone could bear it, it would make a nice YouTube...

I'd like to know if he did the Va. Tech/Duke game in 2007 that he said was officiated so well. If he did, I bet he referenced the referees at multiple points throughout.

basket1544
03-05-2013, 11:14 PM
I wrote to ESPN last year to complain about Len Elmore after a Duke game in which he blatantly cheered on the other team. I got a form letter back saying thank you for your input. Maybe if we flood them with the gross incompetence it will help.

Frobisher
03-05-2013, 11:18 PM
I wrote to ESPN last year to complain about Len Elmore after a Duke game in which he blatantly cheered on the other team. I got a form letter back saying thank you for your input. Maybe if we flood them with the gross incompetence it will help.

But it's now beyond bias.

He chastised a crowd for not doing something that has probably never been done before anywhere ever by anyone.

He's simply lost his mind.

killerleft
03-05-2013, 11:40 PM
I think Len did a pretty good job. Reading the comments here made me laugh. But it does show how comfirmation bias leads people to hate Duke. Seek and ye shall find.

Josh fouled the guy. Len offered that a play on the other end was just the same but Duke didn't get the call. When Len was saying that the VT guy wasn't going to get the call in this game, I took it that he was saying that the refs just weren't calling those plays in this game for EITHER team. Duke fans have showed their appreciation for good individual play by opposition players before, and people on this board have praised our fans for being generous. Greene leads the nation in scoring. Duke fans certainly are NOT obligated to give the guy a hand, but I didn't take offense at what Elmore said. I wasn't looking for reasons to belittle him, though.

No commentator/analyst who offers strong opinions will get it right every time, and Len Elmore makes mistakes. But I still enjoyed his commentary on the game, and would much rather hear some off-key notes than the rear-end kissing stuff we get from Vitale.

killerleft
03-05-2013, 11:47 PM

He chastised a crowd for not doing something that has probably never been done before anywhere ever by anyone.

As I just mentioned in a previous post, this is not even close to true. It doesn't happen enough, but at Duke and other places, especially when the opposing team has been gracious enough to lose, I have even seen partial standing ovations for guys who have played very well.

Duvall
03-05-2013, 11:53 PM
As I just mentioned in a previous post, this is not even close to true. It doesn't happen enough, but at Duke and other places, especially when the opposing team has been gracious enough to lose, I have even seen partial standing ovations for guys who have played very well.

That doesn't make it any less absurd to say that it was a shame that the Duke crowd had not done so, especially since it would have been impossible for the crowd to give Green an ovation since he came out in he same stoppage as Plumlee and Curry.

Greg_Newton
03-05-2013, 11:54 PM
No commentator/analyst who offers strong opinions will get it right every time, and Len Elmore makes mistakes. But I still enjoyed his commentary on the game, and would much rather hear some off-key notes than the rear-end kissing stuff we get from Vitale.

I consider myself reasonably thick-skinned, and agree that Vitale is way over the top. However, it is simply beyond my scope of comprehension how any Duke fan could possibly enjoy listening to Len Elmore calling a Duke game.

I don't really even know what to say at this point. He's so childish and biased in his officiating "analysis" that it's absurd.

Frobisher
03-05-2013, 11:56 PM

Sorry if you didn't catch the hyperbole, but did anyone even notice when Green left the game? We had three seniors to focus on. To think we would offer a full (he said nothing of partial) ovation is just, I dunno...

Recognizing someone's accomplishments online doesn't mean he deserves an ovation from an opposing crowd. Of course I, and many people, can appreciate other player's games. I do it with, gasp, UNC players regularly.

But c'mon, to say the "only fairly called game" was the one VTech won...that's not confirmation bias.

killerleft
03-06-2013, 12:08 AM
That doesn't make it any less absurd to say that it was a shame that the Duke crowd had not done so, especially since it would have been impossible for the crowd to give Green an ovation since he came out in he same stoppage as Plumlee and Curry.

I didn't notice that they all came out at the same time. Not absurd, I wouldn't think, though.

"Nice Army base you've got here, Colonel. Be a SHAME if something was to happen to it." Now, THAT'S absurd!*

* I might be paraphrasing rather than quoting here, from a Monty Python sketch.

wsb3
03-06-2013, 07:05 AM
I consider myself reasonably thick-skinned, and agree that Vitale is way over the top. However, it is simply beyond my scope of comprehension how any Duke fan could possibly enjoy listening to Len Elmore calling a Duke game.

I don't really even know what to say at this point. He's so childish and biased in his officiating "analysis" that it's absurd.

I actually think last night was not as bad, though it was bad..He has actually toned it down a bit over the years. I just want to hear him once say that Duke got a bad call..& the subtle (ok not so subtle) remark about Va Tech the one time they won in Cameron.."in a well officiated game." well if that is not a jab I don't know what is..

I know it is easy to think commentators are against us and I don't feel that way.. But how anyone could have listened to Len Elmore over the years & not see the bias...I don't know what you are watching.

OldPhiKap
03-06-2013, 07:21 AM

I recall Len Bias's last game at Duke, when we gave him a standing O after he fouled out with 40-something points.

I recall wishing Steve Hale respiratory health.

Other than that, though, it is rare.

To chastise the fans for not automatically doing that, though, is stupid. How many standing o's do you think Laettner, JJ, or JWill got at Maryland, Len?

DukeDevil
03-06-2013, 07:46 AM
And no, a single call for a VT player to not flop doesn't somehow even it out.

At first I was shocked that he said it SHOULD have been a no call, but then he followed it up with something to the effect of "you should know the way this game is being called, he won't get that. The players have to know who they are playing and respond appropriately." (didn't record the game, can't pull up the exact quote). It just screamed "the refs won't give you the benefit of that call against Duke"

elvis14
03-06-2013, 08:24 AM
To me commentator are like refs, if I know their name it's a bad thing. To me, they are not the show, the game is the show. If at the end of the game I was distracted by the commentator enough to know who they are, it's time for a new commentator.

Len Elmore is just horrible. And that includes last night. Basically, he spends 2 hours taking shots at Duke. Some are subtle (and add up) some are blatant. The overall effect is just horrible.

I have to say that in the past I've enjoyed Dickie V (even if he does have a bad habit of always jocking UNC@CH during Duke games) but I agree with what others have said. He has really declined the last few years and is just not good at all anymore.

I know you guys love Bob Knight. I think what he says is very insightful. Not always timely but insightful. He's a bit tough to listen to, however. He basically comes across as a really smart grumpy old man.

Another thing that is this old man's pet peeve is when there is a close play and then the TV goes to a replay of a play that happened well before that. .

And it's even worse; call me biased, but if it's something that could cause Duke bias, like taking a charge, they'll replay it from 5 angles. But if it is a call that helps the other team... replay? What replay? We can do that? You think this is the future or something?!

Grrr...

I've told people about this for years. People think that ESPN loves Duke. What ESPN loves is ratings. The guys that work there hate Duke. Watch how a Duke game is edited. As Zeke and chaosmage mention above, how Duke is depicted is very carefully scripted. Highlights from the other team are always replayed. When they go to commercial and come back it's common for the other teams highlight to be played (most often). They will show a charge over and over to drive home the 'Duke flops' mantra. Etc. etc. I was talking with my best friend last night and he asked why ESPN would have Elmore do our broadcasts and why they are edited they way they are. My response was simple, you have a bunch of UConn and swahili speaking UNC@CH graduates working there.

In the Carolinas, David Glenn comes to mind as someone who could cover the ACC capably.

I really like David Glenn. He knows the ACC and seems fairly unbiased to me.

ncexnyc
03-06-2013, 11:33 AM
I hope; we just might get Dick Groat!

And what makes you think Dick Groat will be received any better or that he'll do a better job? I'm sure you'll have numerous board members saying he's forgotten his roots or that he's going to far to hide his Duke roots.

You'll never satisfy everyone.

BD80
03-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Well I would repeat exactly what i said about Len Elmore and his totally objective analysis. ...

Len biased???

Tom B.
03-06-2013, 01:12 PM
In think Len snapped when he announced the Gone in 60 seconds game.

Elmore didn't call that game -- at least, not for ESPN. The ESPN crew for that game was Mike Patrick and Brad Daugherty. And I thought Daugherty did a pretty good job -- not just in that game, but generally. I actually miss him.

scottdude8
03-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Could we just change the title of this thread to the "Len Elmore Appreciation Thread" and be done with it? ;)

TruBlu
03-06-2013, 04:28 PM
I recall Len Bias's last game at Duke, when we gave him a standing O after he fouled out with 40-something points.

I recall wishing Steve Hale respiratory health.

Other than that, though, it is rare.

To chastise the fans for not automatically doing that, though, is stupid. How many standing o's do you think Laettner, JJ, or JWill got at Maryland, Len?

To be perfectly honest, the Maryland fans are extremely gracious, even without the standing O's. I doubt if any of the following was on a "senior" night, but the Maryland fans have: (1) Donated a bottle of water to Carlos Boozer's mom, (2) Given a shout out to JJ's sister, and (3) made gratuitous offers to JJ and the entire Duke following (on numerous occasions). It is only fair that Len expects us to be as considerate as the Terps.

Henderson
03-06-2013, 04:38 PM
I don't think Len Elmore understands the dynamic all that well when it comes to recognizing and appreciating an opponent spontaneously and overtly.

In celebrating Len Bias, it was a matter of knowledgable fans acknowledging athletic greatness of a type that is rarely seen. Erick Green is an outstanding basketball player, but he's not a generational great.

It's a lot to expect of fans to applaud an opposing player. A lot. Len Bias was special. Erick Green is one of many many outstanding basketball players who have played Duke over the years. I wish him well in life, whether he has an NBA career or not.

rsvman
03-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Check out this article up on the SI site. I think it's pretty interesting, especially if you read the comments below it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130303/richard-deitsch-ultimate-college-basketball-broadcaster-draft/?sct=uk_wr_a3

NashvilleDevil
03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Elmore didn't call that game -- at least, not for ESPN. The ESPN crew for that game was Mike Patrick and Brad Daugherty. And I thought Daugherty did a pretty good job -- not just in that game, but generally. I actually miss him.

That's right! I do miss Brad as well.

dukeofcalabash
03-06-2013, 06:08 PM
There are several that I do not like to listen to and you can call me biased, BUT ..... The "G" MAN and Jason Williams are both great in their work. I could listen to what they have to say about a game anytime. I only wish I could get the Duke network way down here in SE North Carolina, but I can't find them. Maybe it's for the best because many years ago I could get them where I lived, but their audio was not delayed the same as the televison even though UNC has had them for about 50 years!

Lord Ash
03-06-2013, 06:18 PM
That's right! I do miss Brad as well.

He was out-stahnding!

OldPhiKap
03-06-2013, 07:12 PM
To be perfectly honest, the Maryland fans are extremely gracious, even without the standing O's. I doubt if any of the following was on a "senior" night, but the Maryland fans have: (1) Donated a bottle of water to Carlos Boozer's mom, (2) Given a shout out to JJ's sister, and (3) made gratuitous offers to JJ and the entire Duke following (on numerous occasions). It is only fair that Len expects us to be as considerate as the Terps.

True, they also take the time to heat pennies before distributing them to the opposing fans, and light nice bonfires to safely guide the route back to the interstate.

nmduke2001
03-13-2013, 09:59 PM
If you want to see a probable 3 seed (outside shot at a 2) and a terrible announcer, New Mexico playing in CBS Sports right now. Goetlieb is doing th color.

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2013, 12:16 PM
FYI Mike Patrick and Len Elmore are doing the Big East tournament.

Mal
03-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Totally late to this thread, and have nothing much to offer on the general subject matter, which we've beaten to death here a million times, other than that I find Gus Johnson's utterly contrived overenthusiasm for the most mundane occurrences in any game totally obnoxious and I'll turn off the volume on any game he's covering.

My real reason for posting is simply to say, belatedly, that OldSchool's homage to Poe might be the single greatest thing I've ever seen on DBR. A million tridents to you, sir or madam!

rsvman
03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Totally late to this thread, and have nothing much to offer on the general subject matter, which we've beaten to death here a million times, other than that I find Gus Johnson's utterly contrived overenthusiasm for the most mundane occurrences in any game totally obnoxious and I'll turn off the volume on any game he's covering.
.....!

I don't know if anybody clicked on the link I provided earlier in the thread to an article discussing a "mock draft" of basketball announcers, but they picked Gus Johnson as their number one pick. WTH? I agree with you that he goes WAY overboard WAY too frequently.

dukefan1980
03-14-2013, 01:54 PM
The worst announcer ever, and I mean EVER, is Bill Walton. I've watched a couple of Pac12 games this year (which is tough enough to watch as it is) in which he is commentating and he is absolutely brutal to listen to. He over dramatizes everything (both bad and good)!

One of his calls that come to mind goes back to when he did NBA games in which he was dogging Shawn Bradley for most of the game saying that he did not deserve to be in the NBA. Bradley then blocks a shot on one end, gets the offensive rebound on the next play and dunks while getting fouled. Walton then says that Bradley is going to "revolutionize the game of basketball." Ridiculous!!

OldSchool
03-15-2013, 10:15 PM

My real reason for posting is simply to say, belatedly, that OldSchool's homage to Poe might be the single greatest thing I've ever seen on DBR. A million tridents to you, sir or madam!

Thanks, Mal.

Edgar Allen Poe is very "old school." I heard he once dunked on George Mikan!

nmduke2001
03-15-2013, 10:26 PM
The worst announcer ever, and I mean EVER, is Bill Walton. I've watched a couple of Pac12 games this year (which is tough enough to watch as it is) in which he is commentating and he is absolutely brutal to listen to. He over dramatizes everything (both bad and good)!

One of his calls that come to mind goes back to when he did NBA games in which he was dogging Shawn Bradley for most of the game saying that he did not deserve to be in the NBA. Bradley then blocks a shot on one end, gets the offensive rebound on the next play and dunks while getting fouled. Walton then says that Bradley is going to "revolutionize the game of basketball." Ridiculous!!

I actually find Walton's habit of calling out players that are slacking (even if they are superstars) refreshing. Too many commentators are afraid to call out players. I remember some fringe center was outplaying Shaq. Walton went off on him basically saying that Shaq wasn't making the most of the gifts that he had received and that he should have averaged 20 rebounds a game.

ArnieMc
03-16-2013, 12:21 PM
One stands heads above all others: Mike Patrick. There will never be a less knowledgeable announcer in any sport.I always give Mike a pass because of one Duke game he called with Brad Daugherty during unc's 8-20 season.

Brad: Coach K is such a great coach that he could take 5 young men from a street corner in Durham, and, in a few months, he could turn them into a basketball team.

Mike: He could probably do that in Chapel Hill as well.

Brad: Cold, man, cold.

---------------------

PS: Love your screen name.

AtlDuke72
03-16-2013, 11:36 PM

It is hard to pick the worst ever, but Walton is a good candidate. He is on tonight and said the Oregon - UCLA game would be "byond perfect". I wonder if he ever thinks back on all the stupid stuff he says.

basket1544
03-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Bill Walton just called Mason "Jason Plumlee". I got very confused trying to figure out how there's a Plumlee I've never heard of and the other announcer corrected him with a, "I think you mean Mason".

brevity
03-17-2013, 01:40 AM
Bill Walton just called Mason "Jason Plumlee". I got very confused trying to figure out how there's a Plumlee I've never heard of and the other announcer corrected him with a, "I think you mean Mason".

Yes, it was a mistake. There is no secret New Jersey lab where scientists are cultivating clone specimens named Giles, Jason, and Jarshall. And it is not installed under a recently closed creampuff establishment owned by the first successful cloning product.

licc85
03-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Anybody watch PTI's 5 good minutes with digger phelps last Friday? He said Seth Curry was our point guard and that Quinn Cook was a freshman. On PTI! "5 horribly inaccurate minutes" with digger phelps.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Watching the Gonzaga game. Little Dougy makes the absolute tip top of the list. Horrendous.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-23-2013, 09:34 PM
I like Verne Lundquist on SEC Football games but, lately, his play-by-play on College Basketball games has been sad, at best.

I mean, after a made 3 point shot or drive to the basket, all he says is "wow!", "oh my!", or "yes!" over and over again. No description of what actually happened, such as who made the shot, or who passed the ball, or what the score is. Too many times, Raftery has to fill in the details of the play, and that's not his job. I have loved Verne over the course of his career(1992 hello!), but I think the pace of basketball is just a little too fast for him now.

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-23-2013, 09:36 PM
I actually find Walton's habit of calling out players that are slacking (even if they are superstars) refreshing. Too many commentators are afraid to call out players. I remember some fringe center was outplaying Shaq. Walton went off on him basically saying that Shaq wasn't making the most of the gifts that he had received and that he should have averaged 20 rebounds a game.

I enjoy his calling out players and pointing out mistakes. He clearly knows much more about basketball than most announcers and game analysts.

Listening to Walton reminds me of when Jimmy Brown was on the broadcast team for some NFL games back in the 1980s. Brown called out running backs for going out of bounds, celebrating touchdowns, and not being as tough and talented as he was ... Of course, no running back has been as good as JB was. Walton likewise thinks he was the best!

mr. synellinden
03-23-2013, 09:55 PM
I enjoy his calling out players and pointing out mistakes. He clearly knows much more about basketball than most announcers and game analysts.

Listening to Walton reminds me of when Jimmy Brown was on the broadcast team for some NFL games back in the 1980s. Brown called out running backs for going out of bounds, celebrating touchdowns, and not being as tough and talented as he was ... Of course, no running back has been as good as JB was. Walton likewise thinks he was the best!

I really like Greg Anthony, but he kept calling Mitch McGary "McCrary" today after the Michigan win. Why can't these guys get names correct?

davekay1971
03-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Watching the Gonzaga game. Little Dougy makes the absolute tip top of the list. Horrendous.

Absolutely agree. As bad as he is in his radio talk show...he's even worse as a commentator. Very little insight, very annoying voice and personality.

throatybeard
03-23-2013, 10:08 PM
What's amazing to me is that these guys are at the top of their profession, and most of them are terrible.

It's like if most of the faculty at Harvard didn't know their subjects.

killerleft
03-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Once again Dan Bonner is quietly going about his craft with skill in the Cal-Syracuse game. The basketball is not an "orange", there are no "diaper dandies" on the court, and his microphone will probably be dry at the end of the game.

1 24 90
03-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Once again Dan Bonner is quietly going about his craft with skill in the Cal-Syracuse game. The basketball is not an "orange", there are no "diaper dandies" on the court, and his microphone will probably be dry at the end of the game.

Also, Ian Eagle & Jim Spanarkel were fantastic in the Butler/Marquette game.

killerleft
03-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Also, Ian Eagle & Jim Spanarkel were fantastic in the Butler/Marquette game.

Agreed, good call and great analysis.

Wander
03-24-2013, 12:24 AM
It's like if most of the faculty at Harvard didn't know their subjects.

Yeah, I've found it sort of notable this tournament how a lot of these guys just don't know some basic things. Gottlieb said there were ~450 Division 1 teams instead of 350, Lunquist has gotten a ton of calls incorrect, and I've caught a few guys saying player names incorrectly.

weezie
03-24-2013, 11:50 AM

Barf! You're right. Ugh.

G man
03-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Doug Gotllieb not sure if that is how you spell his name or not. Doug is constantly hating on everyone!!!

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Adding Reggie Miller into the mix with Len Elmore has produced some fun moments. There's been a lot of disagreeing with and showing up Len to my delight. Why doesn't college ball go with the 3 person team more often? It seems to balance out the color commentary a bit.

Tripping William
03-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Can we dump Elmore & add Cheryl Miller to Reggie & Harlan? That would be an informative & entertaining mix! And anybody willing to go out on a limb &say that he & his sister would beat Dell Curry & his kid at horse earns props from me.

nyesq83
03-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Right?

:p

OldPhiKap
03-24-2013, 03:15 PM

We have been lucky in the Jefferson Pilot region to have Bonner these many years. Not flashy, just talks hoops and game/time situations. Very understated and underrated.

Tripping William
03-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Khalif Wyatt is "literally" carrying his team on his back, per Kellogg. I bet that adversely affects Wyatt's shooting motion, what with 11-12 guys stacked on his spine ....

hurleyfor3
03-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Khalif Wyatt is "literally" carrying his team on his back, per Kellogg. I bet that adversely affects Wyatt's shooting motion, what with 11-12 guys stacked on his spine ....

You'd think his teammates would be able to use the height advantage to make easy baskets.

Tripping William
03-24-2013, 05:09 PM
You'd think his teammates would be able to use the height advantage to make easy baskets.

That would have helped in defending Oladipo's 3, as well.

Reilly
03-24-2013, 05:58 PM
We have been lucky in the Jefferson Pilot region to have Bonner these many years. Not flashy, just talks hoops and game/time situations. Very understated and underrated.

Dan Bonner is an adult. Sad how rare that is. Dan Shulman is, as well.

Raftery seems to be having a good tournament, in my opinion -- positive w//out being too over the top. Liking him more than I used to.

basket1544
03-25-2013, 12:56 AM
The NBA announcers can be humorous, but they get their facts wrong too often. They showed a picture of Coach K with the 2008 squad and the gold medals draped over him and said it was from the London games instead of from the games in Beijing. They all expect that our best offensive weapon is the man that scored 36 against Miami and don't see how we can win if he can't hit buckets. Ryan's offensive skills are not the reason he is our most important player on the court. They've said Sulaimon every way except the correct way. Little things like that just bug me throughout a game.

wavedukefan70s
03-25-2013, 10:27 AM
During the game yesterday around 6 -7 minutes left in the first.mcdermott forearms Kelly in the throat face area .thorton comes from behind knocks the ball out of bounds. Elmore and clowns actually said that was a foul but thorton could have dislocated they guys shoulder.right after the guy by definition committed a flagrant 1.elmore says well you could call the offensive foul but you have to call the defensive foul.my poor blood pressure.

killerleft
03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
During the game yesterday around 6 -7 minutes left in the first.mcdermott forearms Kelly in the throat face area .thorton comes from behind knocks the ball out of bounds. Elmore and clowns actually said that was a foul but thorton could have dislocated they guys shoulder.right after the guy by definition committed a flagrant 1.elmore says well you could call the offensive foul but you have to call the defensive foul.my poor blood pressure.

Just remember: When Len's I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.in', the Devils are witchin'. He's our talisman.

elon33
03-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Every now and then, I will watch the UNM games so I can have something to talk about with a few of my co-workers. A lot of their games have been on the CBS Sports Network. The usual crew is Dave Ryan along with analyst Steve Lappas. On his own, Steve Lappas is terrible but for special occasions, CBS sends Doug Gottlieb to make a three man booth. This is what listening to a game in hell would sound like. Gottlieb is so ill-informed that it's laughable.

One game, native New Mexican Alex Kirk was playing particularly well. Gottlieb thought it was appropriate to compare Kirk to our own Taymon Domzalski. Something about how Kirk decided to stay in New Mexico unlike Taymon Domzalski who went to Duke and suffered under Coach K. I guess Gottlieb forgot about how well Taymon played as a freshman until all the injuries started to add up.

Last game, Kirk was again playing well and Gottlieb called him the second “A bomb” with the first coming from Roswell. Later, he said that he had received a tweet that informed him that the first “A bomb” came from Los Alamos. He then decided that information made his thought better because Kirk is also from Los Alamos.

On a brighter note, I still think that Greg Anthony is really good. Too bad Gus Johnson is no longer with CBS.

Gottlieb is just mad he couldnt go to Duke , we dont and never will want cheaters.

Lord Ash
03-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Yeah, maybe at this point I am just too tough on Len, but on the one hand a Blue Jay gets called for a pretty obvious foul and he complains "Oh that's a tough foul," but then when Mason seems to get all ball on a block... no complaint.

He even started complaining when Reggie called Jabari arguably the best high school player in the nation. *sigh*

diveonthefloor
03-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Is it possible to be fired for being a moronic wanker?

ncexnyc
03-25-2013, 12:23 PM
If all of you hate Len so much why do you continue to listen?:confused:

Atlanta Duke
03-25-2013, 12:31 PM
If all of you hate Len so much why do you continue to listen?:confused:

Because for some of us watching Duke games with the sound turned off is difficult?:confused:

ncexnyc
03-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Because for some of us watching Duke games with the sound turned off is difficult?:confused:

You can always listen to the radio feed of the game and watch with the sound off on the TV. Or you could just turn on your selective hearing switch like many of us use with our spouses and the silly things Len says will not even register.;)

weezie
03-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Is Vitale dyeing what's left of his hair and his eyebrows?

duke79
03-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Am I the only one who finds Charles Barkley horrendous as a basketball analyst? I swear he is at least partially brain dead (did he suffer a lot of concussions when playing?) and amazingly inarticulate. I literally can't bear to watch him on the half time shows. He makes numerous mistakes, totally contradicts himself in the same sentence, has to constantly look down at his "cheat sheet" for what he intends to say next and provides no real insight to any of the games or players. He is truly a buffoon. I'm thinking CBS wants him on the set for entertainment purposes but it is actually sad to see him try to perform in that role.

77devil
03-25-2013, 01:36 PM

Gottlieb is scheduled to be in the studio with Sir Charles and the rest of the crew. Besides being a terrible analyst, why the producers think it is useful to add a 5th voice in a studio already full of superior experience and insight is a mystery to me. Hopefully Chuck will keep Doug in line as he often must with Kenny Smith.

It might go something like this:

Doug Gottlieb: "Duke's defense is too soft to handle the Spartans."

Charles Barkley: "Doug, that's probably to dumbest thing you've said today."

Interject studio host.

TruBlu
03-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Gottlieb is scheduled to be in the studio with Sir Charles and the rest of the crew. Besides being a terrible analyst, why the producers think it is useful to add a 5th voice in a studio already full of superior experience and insight is a mystery to me. Hopefully Chuck will keep Doug in line as he often must with Kenny Smith.

It might go something like this:

Doug Gottlieb: "Duke's defense is too soft to handle the Spartans."

Charles Barkley: "Doug, that's probably to dumbest thing you've said today."

Interject studio host.

This would need to happen very early in the show. Gottlieb would surely say something even dumber eventually. Change it to:

Charles Barkley: "Doug, that is the dumbest thing you've said today, so far.

oldnavy
03-25-2013, 01:56 PM
This would need to happen very early in the show. Gottlieb would surely say something even dumber eventually. Change it to:

Charles Barkley: "Doug, that is the dumbest thing you've said today, so far.

Last night I decieded to listen to the game on the radio while I watched. I just couldn't stand the tought of having to listen to Len Elmore and Reggie Miller. Normally I just have no sound at all, but there was a play that I wanted to know what happened so I turned Bob Harris on. There was about a 6 second delay on the TV, so I would hear what happened before it came over the TV. That took a little getting used too, but after a while it was kind of neat, because I could actually focus where the play was going to take place so I didn't miss anything.

I may try this again this week since it worked out well last night!

Barkley is not the most articulate guy on the tv, but his raw unfiltered commentary is hilarious to me. Still smiling about the crack he made about Kenney Smith's tie and shirt choice!

moonpie23
03-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Last night I decieded to listen to the game on the radio while I watched. I just couldn't stand the tought of having to listen to Len Elmore and Reggie Miller. Normally I just have no sound at all, but there was a play that I wanted to know what happened so I turned Bob Harris on. There was about a 6 second delay on the TV, so I would hear what happened before it came over the TV. That took a little getting used too, but after a while it was kind of neat, because I could actually focus where the play was going to take place so I didn't miss anything.

I may try this again this week since it worked out well last night!

!

ummmmm....hello?? mr NAVY.........i think i need a little commission here.......cause i been preaching this method for years.......

:):):)

alteran
03-25-2013, 02:31 PM
You can always listen to the radio feed of the game and watch with the sound off on the TV.

Sure you can do this if you want a four-second spoiler of game action for the entire game. I don't know why they delay video 4 seconds or so over radio but they do, at least the last time I checked. Len's incredibly annoying, but he's not more annoying than that.

And before anyone suggests TiVo, until they make one that allows you to shift the video broadcast forward in time instead of just backward, we're stuck. When they do, I'll upgrade. ;)

Or you could just turn on your selective hearing switch like many of us use with our spouses and the silly things Len says will not even register.;)

How I wish I had that switch. :)

Tjenkins
03-25-2013, 02:38 PM
My problem with Gottlieb:He doesn't know when to let the visuals tell the story.

I caught the end of the Gonzaga-Wichita State game. CBS's camera crew did a great job capturing the moment.

For a few seconds I thought of 2 of my favorite announcers:Vin Scully & Dick Enberg. They always knew when to comment and when to let the visual speak for itself.

Anyway, the game ends, Wichita St players are hugging, Gonzaga players are stunned, they're shaking hands.
Gottleib's voice intrudes so he can drone on with some cliched bs like this:

Wow! you close the game on a 16 to 7 run
you stare #1 down and you beat 'em with 3-point shots.
With a couple of defensive stops. With grit and determination.
What a win for the Shockers!

You can re-watch the end here if you want to hear the cliched offerings from Gottlieb himself:
http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/?sessionToken=0C8m1tGoTGx8tWW03nM1Npzlf
A few minutes later, the players are celebrating in front of the band, dancing in a circle, Coach Marshall is dancing, his kids join in, a beautiful March Madness moment.

And Gottlieb's voice intrudes once more to offer this:

Gonzaga didn't play poorly, they just got beat.
Sometimes you get outplayed.
Wichita State outplayed 'em.
Gonzaga had an incredible season, but they got beat by a better team on this floor tonight.

Now I understand this is Gottlieb's first tournament, but he's been in sportscasting long enough to know better.

oldnavy
03-25-2013, 02:56 PM
ummmmm....hello?? mr NAVY.........i think i need a little commission here.......cause i been preaching this method for years.......

:):):)

Yes you have!!

I wasn't sure I would like it, but I think it is kind of neat.

rocketeli
03-25-2013, 03:28 PM
I used to get annoyed at announcers, but then I found this thing on my remote called the "mute" button. Unlike football, where there can be so much going on that announcers are occasionally helpful, I've found there is nothing I don't understand on the basketball court just by looking at it, and I enjoy the games so much more.

brevity
03-25-2013, 03:35 PM
I used to get annoyed at announcers, but then I found this thing on my remote called the "mute" button. Unlike football, where there can be so much going on that announcers are occasionally helpful, I've found there is nothing I don't understand on the basketball court just by looking at it, and I enjoy the games so much more.

Exactly. Use closed captioning if you really want some explanations after the fact. I go mute all the time, and I don't even mind the commentary that much. Helps to have a large TV screen, so the text doesn't block the action.

Then again, I usually absorb a game and am mostly silent. Which makes me the Brad Stevens of viewers. I have a feeling that many fans at home want the TV to be loud so they can be loud.

moonpie23
03-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Yes you have!!

I wasn't sure I would like it, but I think it is kind of neat.

it's awesome to watch the play set up...

Danke Shane
03-25-2013, 05:23 PM
A few years ago I was adjusting some of my surround sound speakers in the middle of a game (I believe it was an NFL broadcast). I have a 5.1 speaker setup (1 center, front L/R, rear L/R, subwoofer).

Interestingly, the rear L/R audio feeds were *only* the ambient noise from the stadium. What I started experimenting with was turning down the front channels through my audio receiver, and I was able to watch games at home with just the ambient crowd noises.

Honestly, I haven't experimented with the set up in a while and I forget if these tournament broadcasts are in Dolby 5.1. I'll experiment with some ESPN and CBS broadcasts this week to see if it's possible to isolate just the announcers (and therefore silence them)...

Lord Ash
03-25-2013, 05:27 PM
While I hate Len, the idea of watching a silent game is baffling to me, and sounds a lot worse (no pun intended!) than putting up with Len's ridiculousness.

brevity
03-25-2013, 05:38 PM
While I hate Len, the idea of watching a silent game is baffling to me, and sounds a lot worse (no pun intended!) than putting up with Len's ridiculousness.

If you've watched a game in a sports bar, competing with other games and broadcasts, then it's not that baffling. You get used to not being able to hear some/any of the commentary. (The same if you need to watch a game at home around a sleeping child or sick relative.)

Just seemed like many people on this thread have an incredibly low tolerance for the commentators thrown at them, and I was proposing an alternative that did not require finding a radio and some tin foil.

ncexnyc
03-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Sure you can do this if you want a four-second spoiler of game action for the entire game. I don't know why they delay video 4 seconds or so over radio but they do, at least the last time I checked. Len's incredibly annoying, but he's not more annoying than that.

This issue seems to pop-up every year and I did try the radio broadcast in order to get a more Duke centric play by play. I found the delay to be most annoying so now I just go with whoever the TV commentators are. I do admit to being a lot thicker skinned when it comes to anti-Duke comments or slights, whether actual or just other people's takes.

I got a laugh out of my visit to IC last night. It seems they have the same belief that many on this board have expressed. They feel that everyone gives them their best shot and when that team plays Duke they rollover for us. They also hate the different announcers just like the folks here do. Funny how we each filter what we hear and see differently, but I guess that's part of being a fan.

AtlDuke72
03-25-2013, 06:39 PM

On my surround sound the commentator's volume is controlled by the speaker on the TV, I can turn it down and keep all the sound of the game from the other speakers and not have to listen to Elmore, Vitale, Walton etc. I would rather have a good announcer, but this is a good alternative.

Frobisher
03-25-2013, 06:56 PM

Silent is weird (but, like said, it happens if you are at the bar, in terms of game-related sound), but eliminating the announcers and just listening to the arena and crowd noise, maybe catch some coach and player chatter...well, that sounds a lot like watching it live to me.

Also, I often have the ESPN boxscore up as the game is on, and it tends to upload faster than the televised version, so I try to only look at it during the commercials; knowing what's about to happen kind of ruins the experience for me, but I could see how some would find it fun to know how/where a play is going to develop if listening to the radio. But I have also been trying to really focus on the whole court, not just follow the ball, but watch all the picks, rotations, and cuts; that would also be a bit tougher if I knew the play that was coming and would then be drawn to it.

superdave
03-27-2013, 01:16 PM
I know Dick Vitale is not a writer by trade, but this analysis of MSU-Duke (http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/9103871/2013-ncaa-tournament-dick-vitale-sweet-16-picks) is pretty thin.

brevity
03-27-2013, 01:22 PM
I know Dick Vitale is not a writer by trade, but this analysis of MSU-Duke (http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/9103871/2013-ncaa-tournament-dick-vitale-sweet-16-picks) is pretty thin.

At least we can tell that it's his own writing. If he used an underling, it was only to compile some stats. And Vitale writes in complete sentences. If he ever starts to write like Larry King (http://www.newrepublic.com/article/books-and-arts/80127/larry-king-poem-usa-today#), then ESPN should start to worry.

Jderf
03-27-2013, 01:38 PM

Is this really an "analysis?" Seems more like a small collection of loosely-related, factual sentences. (Although I guess the last sentence is more exclamatory than factual...)

wavedukefan70s
03-27-2013, 10:34 PM
You can always listen to the radio feed of the game and watch with the sound off on the TV. Or you could just turn on your selective hearing switch like many of us use with our spouses and the silly things Len says will not even register.;)

She watches with me.i can only ignore so much before overload ;)

noworries
03-28-2013, 10:17 AM
UVA-Iowa last night, Dakich got way too excited about every little thing, mentioned that two Iowa guys should be first team all-Big Ten next year...talked loudly about justin anderson for probably 20 minutes

Atlanta Duke
03-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Gottlieb makes a strong push this evening for worst analyst

Gottlieb made an awkward diversity joke that left all four of his African-American co-hosts shaking their heads.

"Cream rising to the crop. I don't know why you guys asked me, I'm just here to bring diversity to the set here. Give the kind of white man's perspective on things from the point guard position."

While Anthony scowled and Gumbel looked away, Barkley and Smith awkwardly laughed, with Smith telling him "You're swimming hard, upstream I might add."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/03/28/doug-gottlieb-cbs-ncaa-tournament-diversity-awkward/2029415/

When you are edgy sometimes you cut yourself

MulletMan
03-28-2013, 09:09 PM
During the Ohio State-Zona game, Reggie Miller just let the audience know that, "There is a lid on the basketball right now."

:confused:

duke96
03-28-2013, 11:35 PM
Gottlieb makes a strong push this evening for worst analyst

Gottlieb made an awkward diversity joke that left all four of his African-American co-hosts shaking their heads.

"Cream rising to the crop. I don't know why you guys asked me, I'm just here to bring diversity to the set here. Give the kind of white man's perspective on things from the point guard position."

While Anthony scowled and Gumbel looked away, Barkley and Smith awkwardly laughed, with Smith telling him "You're swimming hard, upstream I might add."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/03/28/doug-gottlieb-cbs-ncaa-tournament-diversity-awkward/2029415/

When you are edgy sometimes you cut yourself

Classic. Taking his jackassery to a whole new stage. Thanks for sharing!

Monmouth77
03-29-2013, 10:15 AM
I watched the halftime show of the Sryacuse-Indiana game, and what stood out to me was how much better, more serious, and insightful Greg Anthony is compared to all of the other knuckleheads on that show.

Barkley has his moments of insight, as does Kenny Smith, though Barkley plays the contrarian and entertainer more than anything else-- which is sometimes OK.

Gottlieb has almost nothing to offer besides sneering negativity. It is fully amazing that he has a job in major sports broadcasting.

But getting back to Anthony-- he was the only guy who was willing to credit the Sryacuse zone for the Orange's domination in the first half. And it was clear to anyone who watched the half that the zone's impact was the key factor in the game. Indiana turned the ball over repeatedly by trying to run their offense as if they were attacking the man-to-man and drove right into the teeth of the zone to find themselves trapped and harrassed. Only a couple of times did they get the ball to Zeller at the free throw line (which is how I remember Duke attacking Baylor's zone with Mason in 2010) which led to some slightly better results.

Anthony broke all this down with a graphic he prepared, and explained that the 2-3 (well-executed) turns every one into a point guard. I thought that was the key point, and the rest of the announcers kind of dismissed it.

I'd be really frustrated to be Greg Anthony on that show. Especially sitting next to Gottlieb. Who is just horrible (Duke hating and stupid race comments to one side).

luvdahops
03-29-2013, 10:33 AM
I watched the halftime show of the Sryacuse-Indiana game, and what stood out to me was how much better, more serious, and insightful Greg Anthony is compared to all of the other knuckleheads on that show.

Barkley has his moments of insight, as does Kenny Smith, though Barkley plays the contrarian and entertainer more than anything else-- which is sometimes OK.

Gottlieb has almost nothing to offer besides sneering negativity. It is fully amazing that he has a job in major sports broadcasting.

But getting back to Anthony-- he was the only guy who was willing to credit the Sryacuse zone for the Orange's domination in the first half. And it was clear to anyone who watched the half that the zone's impact was the key factor in the game. Indiana turned the ball over repeatedly by trying to run their offense as if they were attacking the man-to-man and drove right into the teeth of the zone to find themselves trapped and harrassed. Only a couple of times did they get the ball to Zeller at the free throw line (which is how I remember Duke attacking Baylor's zone with Mason in 2010) which led to some slightly better results.

Anthony broke all this down with a graphic he prepared, and explained that the 2-3 (well-executed) turns every one into a point guard. I thought that was the key point, and the rest of the announcers kind of dismissed it.

I'd be really frustrated to be Greg Anthony on that show. Especially sitting next to Gottlieb. Who is just horrible (Duke hating and stupid race comments to one side).

Gottlieb has built his career on being the contrarian / anti-establishment commentator. He'll go overboard on negativity about not just Duke, but also Carolina, Kentucky, and the powers from the Big East (and to a lesser extent the Big 10), because those schools represent the "establishment" in college hoops. And he'll challenge more reasoned analysis from the likes of Anthony for the very same reason - because that is his schtick, and he's going to keep plowing ahead with it as long as it keeps him employed, no matter how idiotic he may sound, Someone at CBS (and ESPN before) seems to think there is entertainment value in this. Needless to say, I don't agree.

Wander
03-29-2013, 11:32 AM

Barkley still has awesome points leftover from a few years ago, when he told Rick Pitino to his face how overrated the Big East was that year (Rick Pitino was only on the set because his 4th seeded Louisville team was upset in the first round).

moonpie23
03-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Gottlieb has built his career on being the contrarian.

and Stephen A is indignant at the TOP of his voice....

still wondering what bomani's mind trick powers are over ESPN execs...

oldnavy
03-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Changing it up a little, you know who I have always liked... Jimmy Dykes. He is a pretty nice guy in person as well, had the opportunity to chat a little with him in Maui and he is very approachable and engaging.

I'd actually unmute my TV if he were calling the game.

roywhite
03-29-2013, 04:44 PM

Agree with you on the praise for Anthony, and also the criticism of the others you mention.

Absolutely hate to praise the Worldwide Leader, but they would be better prepared to host and comment on these games than CBS and it's affiliates. The analysts we're talking about cover the NBA more than the college game, and simply don't know the teams and players very well. Barkley's lack of knowledge of inidividual players is telling.

Heard Coach K make some comments relating to this in a discussion about the need for a commissioner or similar leader in college basketball, somebody along the lines of what Jerry Colangelo has done for USA Basketball. K said the network that takes us most of the way through the season doesn't broadcast the Tournament, and that leaves a gap.

sagegrouse
03-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Barkley's "moment of insight" was once blindingly accurate -- painfully so. When Arizona ran off the court at halftime trailing by six points, Sir Charles said, "Do you see how pumped Arizona is? [After Derrick Williams's miracle three-point shot.] They're going to win this game." Naw, I said, Duke will continue its edge in the second half. Ugh!

sagegrouse

77devil
03-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Agree with you on the praise for Anthony, and also the criticism of the others you mention.

Absolutely hate to praise the Worldwide Leader, but they would be better prepared to host and comment on these games than CBS and it's affiliates. The analysts we're talking about cover the NBA more than the college game, and simply don't know the teams and players very well. Barkley's lack of knowledge of inidividual players is telling.

Heard Coach K make some comments relating to this in a discussion about the need for a commissioner or similar leader in college basketball, somebody along the lines of what Jerry Colangelo has done for USA Basketball. K said the network that takes us most of the way through the season doesn't broadcast the Tournament, and that leaves a gap.

Pick your poison as the ESPN analysts are pretty uneven. Gottlieb is awful, but it doesn't get much worse than Digger, Vitale, Jalen Rose, and clown show of Pearl and Greenberg IMO.

I guess I'll always have a fondness for Chuck because when Kenny starts to bloviate, Chuck puts him in line.

theAlaskanBear
03-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Chuck plays the fool, but he "ain't no" fool. He is good-natured and doesn't try to dominate a show. That goes a long to way to covering up his deficiencies. Ernie, Kenny, and Charles tend to get a big jokey at times, which can be annoying, but it's way better than the bloviating analysis and talking points that tend to infect ESPN.

That Dakich guy is straight up awful and rude to his co-hosts. I saw him the other night with Jimmy Dykes and others and he played a "real talk" schtick that was stupid and demeaning. Nothing needs to be said about Gottlieb that hasn't already been said, except that you get the feeling he is that guy who knows everyone hates him and acts accordingly.

I really have no problem with Pearl or Greenberg. I like Greg Anthony. In game I like Reggie Miller but obviously all of these NBA guys aren't as familiar with college basketball as one would wish announcers to be.

FerryFor50
03-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Sigh. Gottlieb just said Brad Comer of FGCU plays a bit like he did. Uh... you mean, like you but way better, right Doug?

throatybeard
03-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Sigh. Gottlieb just said Brad Comer of FGCU plays a bit like he did.

So Comer steals credit cards outta the dorm?

arnie
03-30-2013, 04:56 PM
UVA-Iowa last night, Dakich got way too excited about every little thing, mentioned that two Iowa guys should be first team all-Big Ten next year...talked loudly about justin anderson for probably 20 minutes

I don't care of Dan Dakich compares K to Satan - he will always be my hero for that great night in March, 1984. I slept we'll that nite.