PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga number 1 this week.

DukeAlumBS
03-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Followed by Indiana, Duke and then Kansas. JUst saw on ESPN.
They talk about how weak a schedule they play, that SOS is very low at 95 ish . Even a comment that they may make it to the sweet 16 or Elite 8.
Duke has enjoyed Gonzaga it seems all the times I know and beat them. BTW Duke SOS is 1.
Anyway, curious to see coaches poll.

Have nice day my friends,
Jim

DBFAN
03-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Duke fell one in Coaches

Wander
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Good for them. Their conference schedule is certainly easier than ours or the Big 10 teams', but that doesn't make them undeserving. They're 5-0 against the Big 12. I do think they probably need to win their conference tourney to feel safe about a 1 seed, but it would have been sort of lame if the pollsters suddenly changed how they voted and didn't elevate Gonzaga to the top spot.

-bdbd
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Followed by Indiana, Duke and then Kansas. JUst saw on ESPN.
They talk about how weak a schedule they play, that SOS is very low at 95 ish . Even a comment that they may make it to the sweet 16 or Elite 8.
Duke has enjoyed Gonzaga it seems all the times I know and beat them. BTW Duke SOS is 1.
Anyway, curious to see coaches poll.

Have nice day my friends,
Jim

The link:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

But I am kinda surprised. I know that we just beat a top-5 Miami team, but as a #3 we are supposed to win our games, or so the pollsters say. So, I'd have thought that the UVA loss would have dinged us some. Well, maybe it did, in that we could have been #1 or #2 w/o the UVA loss... It sure helps that those around us were also losing too. But beware that the polls are tightening up some, and here comes Geogetown and KA!

Wander
03-04-2013, 12:27 PM
But I am kinda surprised. I know that we just beat a top-5 Miami team, but as a #3 we are supposed to win our games, or so the pollsters say. So, I'd have thought that the UVA loss would have dinged us some. Well, maybe it did, in that we could have been #1 or #2 w/o the UVA loss... It sure helps that those around us were also losing too. But beware that the polls are tightening up some, and here comes Geogetown and KA!

I think it's pretty clear that a number of pollsters are taking the "Ryan Kelly effect" into consideration - hence why we received first place votes.

-bdbd
03-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Pretty funny...

As I was searching ESPN for the Poll link I came across this:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

AIt is a "Ride the Wave" piece with Matt Doherty - yep, failed NC "Coach D'Oh!" - up on ESPN with a sort story on the three hottest teams heading into the tournament. Anybody surprised that he highlights the Heels, along with NM and Cal, as the hottest teams heading into the post-season??! HAHAHAHAHA!!

These guys just don't quit.

DukeAlumBS
03-04-2013, 12:33 PM
I agree the Virginia game may have dinged us. But they know we were without Ryan Kelly.
I would sense they want to see how he does this week. And go from there.
But the SOS for Gonzaga was what I found at ESPN. For your information UNC CH was like 25 SOS , which is very good. And they are not Ranked at all.
What I see is there are a lot of teams with much stronger schedules.
Again, just a treat this week for Gonzaga.

Next Moday will be different. I hope!

Nice day
Jimmy

Wander
03-04-2013, 12:38 PM

So what? Are the Denver Nuggets or Utah Jazz better than the Miami Heat because they play in a tougher division?

nmduke2001
03-04-2013, 01:01 PM
So what? Are the Denver Nuggets or Utah Jazz better than the Miami Heat because they play in a tougher division?

I don't mind that they are ranked #1, however, their schedule is lacking. They have played three ranked teams this season and are 1-2 in those games. Losses to Illinois and Butler and a win against Oklahoma State. If I remember correctly, that Butler game came down to a last second desperation shot.

Duvall
03-04-2013, 01:03 PM

If they had similar records, then it could well be a sign that they were.

DukeAlumBS
03-04-2013, 01:19 PM
My friends,
I do not care about the Jazz. I just wanted to share this with you all. The rankings , I have been through as many as you all have regarding Duke.
I just understand what they use in their ranking. And SOS is a big plus. It did not click for this team, as compared to UNC CH. Which had a very great SOS. And not ranked.
IMO this Duke team is a winner. It will be number 1 after the ACC tourney this year! And NCAA tourney.
That, my friends is what I seek.

Have a nice day
Jimmy

davekay1971
03-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Pretty funny...

As I was searching ESPN for the Poll link I came across this:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

AIt is a "Ride the Wave" piece with Matt Doherty - yep, failed NC "Coach D'Oh!" - up on ESPN with a sort story on the three hottest teams heading into the tournament. Anybody surprised that he highlights the Heels, along with NM and Cal, as the hottest teams heading into the post-season??! HAHAHAHAHA!!

These guys just don't quit.

While I think that Matt D'Oh is a joke (trivia question answer as a player, utter failure as a coach both at UNC AND SMU, laughable analyst, etc), he's actually got a point about the Heels.

The Heels are 5-0 since their loss to us, 8-2 in their last 10, with those two losses being at Miami, and at Duke (understandable losses). I had predicted that the Heels would struggle in the 2nd half of their ACC schedule (I actually thorught they'd lose to UVA, State, and at Clemson), and I was dead wrong. Roy read DBR, took our advice, made a lineup change, and the Heels are doing well. They could still finish 0-2 in the remainder of their schedule (at Maryland, hosting Duke)...but at this moment, before playing those two games, they're on a very good run.

Credit where credit is due...now I'll start pretending someone hacked my account to write this.

Wander
03-04-2013, 02:20 PM
If they had similar records, then it could well be a sign that they were.

Agreed. The difference between Denver (38-22) and Miami (43-14) seems to me to be reasonably comparable to the difference between Gonzaga (29-2) and Indiana (25-4).

I know this isn't an NBA thread; my only point was that while strength of schedule is hugely important, college sports fans often oversimplify it and make the fallacious argument of "Conference A is better than conference B, so the champion of A is better than the champion of B." As a quick example, how many times does the national champion come from the best conference? I don't think it happens too often.

brevity
03-04-2013, 02:27 PM
As a quick example, how many times does the national champion come from the best conference? I don't think it happens too often.

In the modern era? Let's see... 1982, 1983, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2009, 2010. It happens often enough.

Durham Thunder
03-04-2013, 03:55 PM
If their ranking holds to form for Selection Sunday, they'll be the first #1 seed from a non-power conference in a long time.

Anyone wanna say there's a decent chance of a #16 upset this year?

Wander
03-04-2013, 04:05 PM
In the modern era? Let's see... 1982, 1983, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2009, 2010. It happens often enough.

Even if I were to agree with this list - which I don't, seeing as it seems all you did was list the years an ACC team won it all - you're still admitting that well over half the time the best team doesn't come from the best conference. So I'd say my point holds up pretty well. College sports fans are too obsessed with conference affiliation.

hurleyfor3
03-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Even if I were to agree with this list - which I don't, seeing as it seems all you did was list the years an ACC team won it all - you're still admitting that well over half the time the best team doesn't come from the best conference. So I'd say my point holds up pretty well. College sports fans are too obsessed with conference affiliation.

I was gonna say, 1992 Big Ten was better, 2002 Big XII was better, 2009 Big East was better and I'm not sure there was a clear best conference in 2010. OTOH the Big East was the best conference in 1984 and 1985, and in 1988 Big VIII was best. Someone else do the math.

brevity
03-04-2013, 04:50 PM

I'm not volunteering to suck the poison out of the snakebite you just suffered. The joke was that the best conference doesn't change from year to year; it's always the ACC.

1 24 90
03-04-2013, 07:41 PM
If their ranking holds to form for Selection Sunday, they'll be the first #1 seed from a non-power conference in a long time.

Anyone wanna say there's a decent chance of a #16 upset this year?

Memphis was a 1 seed in 2008 & St. Joe's in 2004 (just off the top of my head)

Mudge
03-04-2013, 08:12 PM
I agree the Virginia game may have dinged us. But they know we were without Ryan Kelly.
I would sense they want to see how he does this week. And go from there.
But the SOS for Gonzaga was what I found at ESPN. For your information UNC CH was like 25 SOS , which is very good. And they are not Ranked at all.
Again, just a treat this week for Gonzaga.

Next Moday will be different. I hope!

Nice day Jimmy

You wouldn't happen to be related to Nice Guy Eddie (from Reservoir Dogs), would you?

DukeAlumBS
03-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Thank you, can not change what is there. I have had many comments to me. If I rework it and use some Army English, then I would be booted off the forum.
I again, this is me.
Thank you
Jimmy

Henderson
03-05-2013, 12:06 PM
I'd call the Zags a soft #1, but deserving. They are #11 in RPI and #5 in BPI. Somewhere in that range is probably about right objectively speaking. Their Strength of Schedule is #96, which is the reason I call them a "soft" #1. If they were to play any of the other likely #1 seeds, they'd be 7-10 point underdogs. I'd much rather play them than Indiana, Florida, Miami, Louisville, Michigan, or Kansas.

But hey, they've taken care of business all season, losing only to Illinois at home and (by one point) at Butler. Their consistency in getting the job done is harder to achieve than many might think. A stumble or two almost always happens, even to good teams.

Plus they've got a couple of big guys in Kelly Olynyk and Elias Harris, and a sophomore guard (Kevin Pangos), all of whom who are scorers. They shoot almost 40% from 3, and average 15 assists per game, typical of a Mark Few-coached team. So they aren't winning just because they've played a relatively soft schedule. And I agree with an earlier poster who pointed out that you can't elevate them to No. 2, then not vote them No. 1 when they take care of business and the previous #1 doesn't. They probably should not have been elevated so automatically over previous weeks, but that's the way these polls work.

I don't see them making the Final 4. Not with a target on their backs and opponents who have enough time to prepare for them. Regional finals maybe. Unless some lesser teams clear the way for them by knocking off better teams.

wallyman
03-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Wow. Ohio State playing like a Final 4 Team at IU. Long way to go, but what a game so far.

Henderson
03-24-2013, 08:30 PM
I'd call the Zags a soft #1, but deserving. They are #11 in RPI and #5 in BPI. Somewhere in that range is probably about right objectively speaking. Their Strength of Schedule is #96, which is the reason I call them a "soft" #1. If they were to play any of the other likely #1 seeds, they'd be 7-10 point underdogs. I'd much rather play them than Indiana, Florida, Miami, Louisville, Michigan, or Kansas.

But hey, they've taken care of business all season, losing only to Illinois at home and (by one point) at Butler. Their consistency in getting the job done is harder to achieve than many might think. A stumble or two almost always happens, even to good teams.

Plus they've got a couple of big guys in Kelly Olynyk and Elias Harris, and a sophomore guard (Kevin Pangos), all of whom who are scorers. They shoot almost 40% from 3, and average 15 assists per game, typical of a Mark Few-coached team. So they aren't winning just because they've played a relatively soft schedule. And I agree with an earlier poster who pointed out that you can't elevate them to No. 2, then not vote them No. 1 when they take care of business and the previous #1 doesn't. They probably should not have been elevated so automatically over previous weeks, but that's the way these polls work.

I don't see them making the Final 4. Not with a target on their backs and opponents who have enough time to prepare for them. Regional finals maybe. Unless some lesser teams clear the way for them by knocking off better teams.

Can I get some love for calling the Zags a soft #1? Maybe from someone who was crowing about how great they were?

DukieInBrasil
03-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Can I get some love for calling the Zags a soft #1? Maybe from someone who was crowing about how great they were?

Yep! I too thought they were overrated, and that the whole WCC was overrated. One of the worst tourney performances from a #1 seed ever. I picked the Zags to go down in the round of 32 in one of my brackets and not to make it beyond the Sweet 16 in all of my other brackets.

uh_no
03-24-2013, 09:32 PM

i mean, you and everyone else!

Jim Croce didn't even need an operator to help him make that call....

snowdenscold
03-24-2013, 09:34 PM

Lol, you did use the word "soft," but you also predicted them to make the Elite 8, just not the Final Four. So results are mixed =)

Henderson
03-24-2013, 11:38 PM
I never projected them to be in the elite eight. I just called them a soft number one. And I heard a lot of very experienced posters on here squawking about how good Gonzaga was.

snowdenscold
03-25-2013, 12:11 AM
I never projected them to be in the elite eight. I just called them a soft number one.
I guess to be fair you said "maybe":

I don't see them making the Final 4. Not with a target on their backs and opponents who have enough time to prepare for them. Regional finals maybe. Unless some lesser teams clear the way [to the FF] for them by knocking off better teams.

And I heard a lot of very experienced posters on here squawking about how good Gonzaga was.
I never commented one way or another about Gonzaga, but I'm uncomfortable using one tournament game to retroactively decide whether or not a team was good for an entire season.

ice-9
03-25-2013, 12:40 AM
I never projected them to be in the elite eight. I just called them a soft number one. And I heard a lot of very experienced posters on here squawking about how good Gonzaga was.

Dude, if you had called a second round exit then you deserve to pound your chest. But I don't think you did, unless I totally misread your post.

uh_no
03-25-2013, 12:42 AM
Dude, if you had called a second round exit then you deserve to pound your chest. But I don't think you did, unless I totally misread your post.

in that case i get to double pound...in my ONLY bracket, i had them losing to pitt....so right upset, wrong upsetter...but I had gonzaga pegged to lose!

ice-9
03-25-2013, 12:48 AM
in that case i get to double pound...in my ONLY bracket, i had them losing to pitt....so right upset, wrong upsetter...but I had gonzaga pegged to lose!

I had La Salle beating Kansas St believe it or not...until I realized at the last minute the Wildcats were practically playing at home and switched it around. Argh!

Jderf
03-25-2013, 10:22 AM
I never commented one way or another about Gonzaga, but I'm uncomfortable using one tournament game to retroactively decide whether or not a team was good for an entire season.

I would be cautious about it too, except that their consistently mediocre play through eighty minutes (against a lowly #16 and a #9) makes me think that they were definitely over-seeded. I'd say the actual quality of the team warranted a 3 or 4 seed, but then again I guess its hard to see how you don't give them a #1 with their record and ranking. Not really their fault they got given such a high seed.