PDA

View Full Version : Featherston's Kelly Challenge

DevilHorse
03-04-2013, 07:13 AM
In Featherston's "The Great Kelly" article this morning, he asked for any examples of athletes (human and otherwise) that might have accomplished similar comebacks to what Ryan Kelly did this past weekend. Since Al opened up the door to the Equine world with Seabiscuit (really? that's low hanging fruit) it reminded me of an interesting horse who ran a few years ago named "Da Hoss."

The short version is that Da Hoss was a feisty brittle creature who always had leg problems (not unusual for horses, but more so for this one). He was a gelding whose future was to be a riding horse if he wasn't going to race, but if he was right, boy could he run!. But the faster you are, the more stress you put on those legs. Da Hoss was fast enough to win the Breeder's Cup Mile in 1996, but was unable to even race in 1997 because of his lameness. To get into a Breeder's Cup race (the NCAAs of the horse world if you will) you have to establish some credentials that year (lots of horse want to run for $1 million), they had trouble finding a race with safe conditions (no rain because he is a turf horse and they don't usually run races on rainy days; they kept canceling his targeted races) and they found a minor allowance prep race for him that he could start in, which he won. The Breeder's Cup committee was not overly impressed and would only let Da Hoss be an Also Eligible for the Breeder's Cup mile in 1998 because he did not have stakes winnings for 2 years. This meant he could only get into the field if another horse pulled out of the race. But, as fate would have it, he did get into the field because another horse scratched out. Da Hoss won the race, by a nose, and race track announcer Tom Durkin announced, "This is the greatest comeback since Lazarus."

You can google "Da Hoss" if you want more, that's pretty unique.

Larry
DevilHorse

Reilly
03-04-2013, 08:12 AM
In the most recent NFL season, Ray Lewis missed almost 3 months with a torn tricep (surgically repaired) ... and in his first game back, in the playoffs, in his last home game ever, against the franchise that had left his city, led the defense to a win and started a run to a Super Bowl championship.

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Lewis):

"Lewis tore his triceps on October 14, 2012 during a game against the Dallas Cowboys, and had it surgically repaired three days later. ...
He returned to action for Baltimore's January 6, 2013 game against the Colts and led the defense to a 24-9 playoff win."

Henderson
03-04-2013, 08:56 AM
In the most recent NFL season, Ray Lewis missed almost 3 months with a torn tricep (surgically repaired) ... and in his first game back, in the playoffs, in his last home game ever, against the franchise that had left his city, led the defense to a win and started a run to a Super Bowl championship.

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Lewis):

"Lewis tore his triceps on October 14, 2012 during a game against the Dallas Cowboys, and had it surgically repaired three days later. ...
He returned to action for Baltimore's January 6, 2013 game against the Colts and led the defense to a 24-9 playoff win."

Big difference is that I doubt RK juiced himself into a recovery.

clinresga
03-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Come on, this one is too easy. Adrian Peterson returns from ACL and MCL tears to become NFL MVP and Offensive POY! Admittedly it was not a single game that defined his remarkable comeback, but even his first game was solid (84 yds, 2 TD). Still, this would be equivalent to RK returning and not only scoring 36 in his return, but then going on to end up as NCAA POY. Season's too short for that, but we can only hope he plays at AP's level until we win the tournament. Yeah, I know, PED's and all that, but it's still remarkable.

dukejunkie
03-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Jordan with 55 versus the Knicks was mentioned. That was special but was actually five games into his comeback.

Apple's and oranges but Magic in the 1992 All Star game was just amazing. That is probably the last time I watched an all star game in full.

It's very impressive that Kelly's performance is even inspiring such a thread.

Starter
03-04-2013, 10:31 AM
I'd suggest George Foreman, who returned after a decade away from boxing to not only win a championship after the age of 40, but convert from a surly malcontent to a lovable dude who sells countertop grills.

Like Peterson, Peyton Manning is up there for a season instead of for one game, but still.

As a baseball guy, I'd bring up Tommy John, who not only returned from an injury most people thought would end his career, but inadvertently provided a road map for countless others to follow in that same regard.

I read what Featherston said about it, but I'd still contend Willis Reed in the 1970 Finals is probably the standardbearer, not necessarily for flashy statistics, but in terms of deep psychological impact.