PDA

View Full Version : Ill-timed time-out costs Michigan State?

rsvman
03-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Anybody see he Michigan-Michigan state game?

Down one when McGary missed the front end of a one-on-one with about 8.8 seconds left, the Michigan defense was seemingly disorganized. Four guys had converted on the dribbler in the center of the court, and then he passed the ball to the left wing to a guard, who appeared to have a lane to the basket.

The play was interrupted when Izzo called a time-out. The time-out allowed Michigan to set its defense, and Michigan State never even got off a shot.

I know sometimes people are critical of Coach K for not calling time-outs in end-game situations. This game was, in my opinion, an example of why. Izzo's team had a really good chance of winning the game until the time-out was called.

uh_no
03-03-2013, 06:36 PM

Down one when McGary missed the front end of a one-on-one with about 8.8 seconds left, the Michigan defense was seemingly disorganized. Four guys had converted on the dribbler in the center of the court, and then he passed the ball to the left wing to a guard, who appeared to have a lane to the basket.

The play was interrupted when Izzo called a time-out. The time-out allowed Michigan to set its defense, and Michigan State never even got off a shot.

I know sometimes people are critical of Coach K for not calling time-outs in end-game situations. This game was, in my opinion, an example of why. Izzo's team had a really good chance of winning the game until the time-out was called.

it would have had a good chance of winning if MSU had run a competent play other than dribbling it around and turning it over....i'm sure that's EXACTLY how izzo drew it up.

hurleyfor3
03-03-2013, 06:36 PM
But but but Tom Izzo is the bestest coach ever coming out of timeouts.

Changing the subject, I was bothered by was the scenario under which we used our last timeout yesterday (~55 seconds left, two-point lead, ball in the process of clearing midcourt). We had a fair amount of trouble inbounding it in the last couple of minutes. K's not a timeout hoarder, we all know.

tbyers11
03-03-2013, 06:40 PM
But but but Tom Izzo is the bestest coach ever coming out of timeouts.

Changing the subject, I was bothered by was the scenario under which we used our last timeout yesterday (~55 seconds left, two-point lead, ball in the process of clearing midcourt). We had a fair amount of trouble inbounding it in the last couple of minutes. K's not a timeout hoarder, we all know.

We had ~30 seconds left and K was afraid of a backcourt violation as Seth was sort of trapped on the sideline with 4-5 seconds left on the 10 second clock. Unfortunately, between K calling for the TO and the refs granting it, Seth dribbled out of the trap and had made a pass to an open Rasheed in the front court. I agree that we would have been better off keeping the TO and I wish K could have waited another half-second to call the timeout, but I can understand why he did it in the better safe than sorry mode.

To the original MSU/Izzo post, I agree with K that it is almost always better to go against a disorganized defense with that amount of time on the clock. Obviously, MSU didn't run the play how Izzo drew it up but they were a bit hamstrung with 4.9 seconds left if/when Michigan blew up their first option.

sporthenry
03-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Certainly he had a lane but it wouldn't have been wide open as it appeared. U of M had 2 guys who would have converged but they stopped after the time out call. Still probably would have had a better shot than what they got, mainly b/c they didn't get a shot but I doubt they wanted the ball in Valentine's hand with the game on the line.

Greg_Newton
03-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Kind of funny that this thread is right next to the UVA-BC thread, because Tony Bennett is getting crucified by UVA fans for not calling a timeout in the exact same situation.

Edouble
03-04-2013, 03:23 AM
We had ~30 seconds left and K was afraid of a backcourt violation as Seth was sort of trapped on the sideline with 4-5 seconds left on the 10 second clock. Unfortunately, between K calling for the TO and the refs granting it, Seth dribbled out of the trap and had made a pass to an open Rasheed in the front court. I agree that we would have been better off keeping the TO and I wish K could have waited another half-second to call the timeout, but I can understand why he did it in the better safe than sorry mode.

Were you like sitting behind Coach K? How do you know this?

I was also a bit disturbed when we called this time out. Glad someone brought it up.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-04-2013, 06:11 AM

To the original MSU/Izzo post, I agree with K that it is almost always better to go against a disorganized defense with that amount of time on the clock. Obviously, MSU didn't run the play how Izzo drew it up but they were a bit hamstrung with 4.9 seconds left if/when Michigan blew up their first option.
4.9 seconds is an eternity. You only need 2.1...!

rsvman
03-04-2013, 07:13 AM
4.9 seconds is an eternity. You only need 2.1...!

I see what you did there.

Well played.

tbyers11
03-04-2013, 07:49 AM

I was also a bit disturbed when we called this time out. Glad someone brought it up.

No I was watching on TV but there is always a delay between when the coach calls timeout and when the ref grants it. If it didn't happen just about when I think I did then I have no idea why K would have called a TO at that point.

dukeofcalabash
03-04-2013, 08:15 AM

That's what I thought too!

moonpie23
03-04-2013, 08:29 AM
man, don't you wish we could edit the titles of the threads if we indeed started them?

pfrduke
03-04-2013, 08:36 AM

In Izzo's defense, Adreian Payne did not look like he had the best control over the ball as he was dribbling into the front court. It's possible he called the timeout to prevent his center dribbling into a potentially problematic quadruple team. Now, just about as soon as the timeout was called Payne got out of trouble, but that easily could have turned bad for MSU.

El_Diablo
03-04-2013, 11:01 AM

Coach K does this pretty frequently (call a timeout 2 seconds before a 10-second violation if it looks like we won't get it over). With the game potentially on the line against Miami, I do not mind the "better safe than sorry" approach.