PDA

View Full Version : Doug Gottlieb and His Other-worldly Sources

Gthoma2a
03-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Has anyone heard anything from him on the ankle that surely needed surgery on Ryan? Do we know if Ryan is trying to save his draft stock by staying out anymore?

Honestly, I am interested. Has anyone heard Gottlieb or has he gone into hiding for once again being wrong? We should have him hate on us every year... 2010 "alarmingly un-athletic" and this year, Ryan needs surgery and is protecting his draft stock.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Has anyone heard anything from him on the ankle that surely needed surgery on Ryan? Do we know if Ryan is trying to save his draft stock by staying out anymore?

Honestly, I am interested. Has anyone heard Gottlieb or has he gone into hiding for once again being wrong? We should have him hate on us every year... 2010 "alarmingly un-athletic" and this year, Ryan needs surgery and is protecting his draft stock.

That, and Digger saying before the game that Duke had "no chance" of beating Miami.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-03-2013, 03:17 PM
He gives alarmingly idiotic idiots everywhere a bad name. I love how he did highlights of Duke-Miami and worked in a snide remark after the guys slapped the floor - something to the effect of... remember when Miami slapped the floor they beat you by 27. It's just too bad he actually makes a living doing what he does.

Gthoma2a
03-03-2013, 03:17 PM
That, and Digger saying before the game that Duke had "no chance" of beating Miami.

It is priceless to see how "experts" are wrong so often. Doris looked like she was disgusted with what she had just seen when she was interviewing Ryan. Dickie V was throwing around Miami Heat references as much as he could and said he invited Warren Sapp. Overall, I think we are making ESPN very sad.

The two that I enjoyed hearing talk about us were two usual Duke haters (and one is a former player). Rose and Bilas were actually the most complimentary of the analysts last night.

NashvilleDevil
03-03-2013, 03:28 PM
The two that I enjoyed hearing talk about us were two usual Duke haters (and one is a former player). Rose and Bilas were actually the most complimentary of the analysts last night.

Watch this and tell me that Jay Bilas hates Duke. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Dct6klSsw

roywhite
03-03-2013, 03:31 PM
He gives alarmingly idiotic idiots everywhere a bad name. I love how he did highlights of Duke-Miami and worked in a snide remark after the guys slapped the floor - something to the effect of... remember when Miami slapped the floor they beat you by 27. It's just too bad he actually makes a living doing what he does.

Saw him at halftime of the UNC -- FSU game today. He was talking about UNC's smaller lineup and how that worked well for them, etc. And worked in some snarky comment about how this would offset the return of Ryan Kelly, and that JP Hairston was obviously a more athletic addition to the Heels' lineup than Kelly was to Duke.

Time to put him on the message board equivalent of "Ignore"; he and Doyel are bottom feeding nitwits.

uh_no
03-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Saw him at halftime of the UNC -- FSU game today. He was talking about UNC's smaller lineup and how that worked well for them, etc. And worked in some snarky comment about how this would offset the return of Ryan Kelly, and that JP Hairston was obviously a more athletic addition to the Heels' lineup than Kelly was to Duke.

Time to put him on the message board equivalent of "Ignore"; he and Doyel are bottom feeding nitwits.

wait....didn't they play the smaller lineup against us last time (sans kelly)? and didn't we beat them?

dukelifer
03-03-2013, 03:34 PM

Ryan thought a 36 point performance would up his stock. He will probably shut it down now- gotta protect that stock you know.

MarkD83
03-03-2013, 03:37 PM
a wonderful thing.

RaiderDevil
03-03-2013, 03:39 PM
May just be my perception, but seems like he covers college basketball more than any of the other shows. The others go from Super Bowl to MLB and hardly mention college basketball.

Gthoma2a
03-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Watch this and tell me that Jay Bilas hates Duke. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Dct6klSsw

I know he doesn't hate Duke, but he feels the need to criticize to show that he is unbiased. I totally understand, but he spends a lot of his time as a commentator proving that he does speak without bias about his school. A lot of the time he gives well reasoned complaints, but sometimes he just seems too hard on our teams.

MCFinARL
03-03-2013, 03:48 PM
wait....didn't they play the smaller lineup against us last time (sans kelly)? and didn't we beat them?

Yes and yes.

That was the game where they introduced the smaller lineup, shortly after Roy had said, IIRC, that one of his ineffective bigs (forget which one) would definitely stay in the starting lineup.

roywhite
03-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Yes and yes.

That was the game where they introduced the smaller lineup, shortly after Roy had said, IIRC, that one of his ineffective bigs (forget which one) would definitely stay in the starting lineup.

Facts like that are of little concern to Gottlieb.

Gthoma2a
03-03-2013, 04:04 PM
He is now talking on CBS, but instead of saying a word about us, he says he was more impressed with Miami. Supposedly they were the real story. I can't stand this guy.

captmojo
03-03-2013, 04:04 PM
My favorite Gottlieb moment came to me 40 some odd (very odd) years ago after attaining the high score on one of their famous pinball machines.

In all honesty, Bally machines were built better and were more fun to play. :D

75Crazie
03-03-2013, 04:09 PM
He is now talking on CBS, but instead of saying a word about us, he says he was more impressed with Miami. Supposedly they were the real story. I can't stand this guy.
That's only fair, I myself was more impressed with Miami as a team than I was with Duke. It took one of the most outstanding single-player performances of all time for Duke to beat them at home. I sure don't want to have to play them again, unless K can work some magic defense on Scott and Larkin.

I see a lot of thin skins on this forum.

diveonthefloor
03-03-2013, 04:10 PM
There are a few announcers I can think of who are semi-knowledgeable in a "biased sort of way." That makes them extremely annoying to those who look for unbiased commentators. The political equivalents would be folks like Chris Matthews, Keith Olberman, or Sean Hannity.
In the hoops commentating world, the worst offenders IMO are Doug "Mastercard" Gottlieb, Billy "I'm Billy Packer, let me in!" Packer, Len "How did anyone hire me?" Elmore, and yes Digger "Neon highlighter" Phelps. What makes Gottlieb and Phelps so much more obnoxious is that they say their dribble in such loud speaking volumes that it sounds like fingernails on the blackboard.

Yep, the mute button is my favorite remote target when they are on.

Gthoma2a
03-03-2013, 04:17 PM
That's only fair, I myself was more impressed with Miami as a team than I was with Duke. It took one of the most outstanding single-player performances of all time for Duke to beat them at home. I sure don't want to have to play them again, unless K can work some magic defense on Scott and Larkin.

I am not too worried about them. If they want to leave Ryan open again, that's fine. If they want to guard Ryan and slack off of our other guys, that's fine. Whatever they were doing wasn't effective on D last night. Granted Ryan had a great game, but nobody else did. They are tough, but with only one game back, we were tougher with Ryan. I want to beat them again in the ACC tournament. If we actually hit free throws at the end (like we usually do), this game is a 7-10 point win. It was only close because we made it close.

weezie
03-03-2013, 04:32 PM
I am not too worried about them.

Yes, but are you worried about Doug Gottleib? Just think of him fretting away, wishing he was coaching at kansas state...
Pooooor Doug.

hurleyfor3
03-03-2013, 04:38 PM
My favorite Gottlieb moment came to me 40 some odd (very odd) years ago after attaining the high score on one of their famous pinball machines.

Whether it's on the court, in the studio or at the arcade, Williams kicks the crap out of Gottlieb. :D

In my time at Duke, the Devil's Quarters had tables from Williams, Bally and even Data East, but not a single Gottlieb game that I recall. We were institutionally on to something, even 20 years ago.

weezie
03-03-2013, 04:43 PM

HEY! I resemble that remark! :p

captmojo
03-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Whether it's on the court, in the studio or at the arcade, Williams kicks the crap out of Gottlieb. :D

In my time at Duke, the Devil's Quarters had tables from Williams, Bally and even Data East, but not a single Gottlieb game that I recall. We were institutionally on to something, even 20 years ago.

I recall Williams machines. They had some risque themes, didn't they? Quite distractive at times.
Gottlieb had bulky, tiny flippers.

Jim3k
03-03-2013, 05:39 PM

Din'cha love the "snap" when you won a free game?

hurleyfor3
03-03-2013, 05:55 PM
I recall Williams machines. They had some risque themes, didn't they? Quite distractive at times.
Gottlieb had bulky, tiny flippers.

Actually I think of Bally as the "leader" in that regard. Playboy, Dolly Parton, Xenon, Elvira, Dr. Dude... all Bally tables. Williams did have Bride of Pinbot, which I was banned from playing at one arcade because I was too good at it.

Williams bought Bally in the late 1980s I believe. They maintained separate identities for awhile.

uh_no
03-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Actually I think of Bally as the "leader" in that regard. Playboy, Dolly Parton, Xenon, Elvira, Dr. Dude... all Bally tables. Williams did have Bride of Pinbot, which I was banned from playing at one arcade because I was too good at it.

Williams bought Bally in the late 1980s I believe. They maintained separate identities for awhile.

you should see the new machine that jersey jack pinball is coming out with...wizard of oz....looks incredible

ANYWAY

i think greenberg and gottlieb should have an idiot-off....whoever gets the most facts wrong is the winner!

OldPhiKap
03-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Kids still play "Joust," don't they?

I do not remember what pinball games they had.

Only a coincidence that the Devil's Den was next to the check cashing place. (Back in the day before ATM's)

striker219
03-03-2013, 07:26 PM
you should see the new machine that jersey jack pinball is coming out with...wizard of oz....looks incredible

ANYWAY

i think greenberg and gottlieb should have an idiot-off....whoever gets the most facts wrong is the winner!

Wow, never has the phrase "whoever wins, we all lose" been more appropriate.

DukeGirl4ever
03-03-2013, 09:06 PM
It is priceless to see how "experts" are wrong so often. Doris looked like she was disgusted with what she had just seen when she was interviewing Ryan. Dickie V was throwing around Miami Heat references as much as he could and said he invited Warren Sapp. Overall, I think we are making ESPN very sad.

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this was answered, but can you please tell me exactly what you mean by the bold part???

I watched Doris interview Ryan and I saw the Doris that I always see - professional and unbiased. Had she said something prior to the interview?

captmojo
03-03-2013, 09:24 PM
I saw that interview too. One of her betters. Alas, even in the past, when she was held to the ladies game only, she didn't seem to have any appreciation for Duke.

Rich
03-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Kids still play "Joust," don't they?

I do not remember what pinball games they had.

Only a coincidence that the Devil's Den was next to the check cashing place. (Back in the day before ATM's)

I used to LOVE playing Joust in the Devil's Den. Also recall Johnny D and David Henderson playing quite a few games of pool in there.

BD80
03-03-2013, 10:07 PM
... i think greenberg and gottlieb should have an idiot-off....whoever gets the most facts wrong is the winner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ba1OKY7Xc

Calling dougie a twit is an insult to twits.

The show with dougie showed a clip of dougie slapping the floor in a game against Duke. He tried to laugh it off as a "compliment" but admitted that he was making fun of the practice. One of the other commentators noted that Duke won the game. Duke won, 79-73, 2nd rnd ncaa, Mar 15, 1998, behind an alarmingly unathletic Steve Wojciechowski. There were no clips shown of dougie actually playing defense.

Henderson
03-03-2013, 10:32 PM
I think Dougie follows the Kardashian Journalistic Principle: If you are clueless and talentless, do remarkably idiotic things to get yourself noticed ... by someone ... anyone. How else will you ever get paid?

Gthoma2a
03-04-2013, 06:20 AM
The interview from Doris was just missing the usual laugh at the end of the questions. I read it as being her feelings about us coming out. Every time she had a Miami game, she was touting them as being the best team in the nation, but when she had our games, she is less than complimentary.

NashvilleDevil
03-04-2013, 06:46 AM
The interview from Doris was just missing the usual laugh at the end of the questions. I read it as being her feelings about us coming out. Every time she had a Miami game, she was touting them as being the best team in the nation, but when she had our games, she is less than complimentary.

Doris is one of the few ESPN commentators I don't hit the mute button on. I have never gotten the sense that she is anti-Duke like some others.

DukeGirl4ever
03-04-2013, 07:40 AM

Thanks for you response.
I've never really gotten that vibe from her, but maybe others have picked up on it.

Being a female, I've always been a big Doris supporter. I think her knowledge about the game rivals a lot of the male analysts out there. In fact, pay me to do her job and I'd live a happy life! :cool:

Henderson
03-04-2013, 08:50 AM
I had fun last night Googling, "Doug Gottlieb Idiot." Amazing amount of material. Jim Mora Jr., Jim Boeheim, and Tom Izzo have all famously slammed him of course. But there is a really funny video I hadn't seen out there of Dougie in March of 2007 doing brackets, struggling with the studio technology, when his cell phone goes off. He can't get it turned off, gets flustered, and finally his co-host takes it away from him and leaves the set. Sorry I didn't copy the link, but it's easy to find.

Turtleboy
03-04-2013, 09:04 AM
I see a lot of thin skins on this forum.At least 4.

theAlaskanBear
03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure I understand the criticism of Doris Burke. I thought she was just fine. Vitale on the other was terrible and so beyond-the-pale...I was shocked and felt almost felt sorry for the guy. Also, I thought it was entirely unprofessional to announce during the game that you got Warren Sapp a ticket to game. Sure these things probably happen with huge frequency, but don't say it on national TV during the game.

Maybe any undertones with Doris that I didn't pick up on comes from the fact that she was forced to listen to the *ahem* "clowns" in the booth all game. Doris would have done a better job. I listen to her call the NBA with some frequency. Nothing beats a JVG or Hubie Brown game, but Doris is solid and a professional.

davekay1971
03-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Thin skins on DBR? Yep, they exist around here.

However, there are certain annoying little twits who just get under your skin. They have this irritating pitch of voice, talk constantly despite having nothing worthwhile to offer and having no actual knowledge of the subject matter at hand, and they focus merely on drawing attention to themselves, rather than actually contributing to the conversation at hand. They insist on finding the top dog and, like a Jack Russell terrier on amphetamines, just run around the top dog's ankles yipping and biting. They live to irritate, in some pathetic cry for attention or some hopeless attempt to make themselves feel less like a complete waste of oxygen. No matter how often you swat them away, they just keep coming back. They think, somehow, that they are on equal footing when all evidence points to the contrary. You'd like for them to just go away, because they are like gnats, or mosquitos, existing only to annoy, but serving no useful purpose.

Like Doug Gottlieb...and Maryland.

(As for Doris, my only wish was that they'd let Dickie V stay home and had Doris do the commentary. She's a bright light on ESPN)

OldPhiKap
03-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Doris is better than many at ESPN. I wish we had her more, and in the booth as opposed to the sidelines.