PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke vs. Carolina

Bob Green
03-03-2013, 06:49 AM
#5 Duke (26-2) hosts #15 Carolina (26-4) today at 4 pm. The game will be televised on ESPN2.

grossbus
03-03-2013, 08:05 AM
watch xylina take some cheap shots.

wandalee
03-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Driving back from a visit with family in TN to go to the game. Gotta leave soon!

GTHC!!!

dukelifer
03-03-2013, 04:53 PM
UNC scrapping hard. Getting every loose ball. Duke gave up a 12 point lead. Hopefully they will limit their turnovers in the second half.

captmojo
03-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Sylvia is dressed far too sexy in her baby blue 'convict stripes'. ;)

captmojo
03-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Why didn't the hole's elbow tosser get tossed?

miramar
03-03-2013, 06:06 PM
This just keeps getting better and better.

dukelifer
03-03-2013, 06:15 PM
This just keeps getting better and better.

Jones had a great game- she is becoming a star. Nice to see and always great to send Sylvia home with a sad face. Well lets hope they make her sad- Duke is doing its best to give a 10 point lead back with 10 sec to go- sheesh

burnspbesq
03-03-2013, 06:23 PM
If it were any opponent other than Carolina, I would call that an uggggggggggly win.

By definition, all wins over Carolina are beautiful.

On to Greensboro. We play (I think) the winner of Wake vs. GaTech on Friday.

sagegrouse
03-03-2013, 06:29 PM

In a previous life, that jacket was a slip cover. -- sage

roywhite
03-03-2013, 07:28 PM
If it were any opponent other than Carolina, I would call that an uggggggggggly win.

By definition, all wins over Carolina are beautiful.

On to Greensboro. We play (I think) the winner of Wake vs. GaTech on Friday.

Sylvia's teams play with the ferocity (and finesse) of a rabid dog. A game with 51 turnovers total is pretty hard to watch.

Alexis Jones did some really good things. She is emerging as a player and a leader.

dukelifer
03-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Sylvia's teams play with the ferocity (and finesse) of a rabid dog. A game with 51 turnovers total is pretty hard to watch.

Alexis Jones did some really good things. She is emerging as a player and a leader.

Must take a lot of energy out of her teams- but it was effective in turning Duke over a ton. But the ferocity carried over to offense where they bricked a ton of shots. It was a very physical game.The refs let them play.

CameronBlue
03-03-2013, 08:08 PM
yes she's got that whole polo renegade thing going. Pretty edgy Sylvia

burnspbesq
03-03-2013, 08:39 PM
yes she's got that whole polo renegade thing going. Pretty edgy Sylvia

Sylvia? Edgy?

Having a hard time envisioning Sylvia drinking Schlitz at Local 506 and complaining about Yo La Tengo's new record being inauthentic.

burnspbesq
03-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Bracket is up at theacc.com.

Something funky happened with the tie-breakers. GaTech - Wake somehow became the 7-10 game. We get either State or Clemson at 2:00 p.m. Eastern on Friday.

rogermortimer
03-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Must take a lot of energy out of her teams- but it was effective in turning Duke over a ton. But the ferocity carried over to offense where they bricked a ton of shots. It was a very physical game.The refs let them play.

I think you are correct. Hatchell's heavily physical style does have its price on offense. Her team doesn't space well at all on offense (and the women's game is not as quick or as vertical as the men's, so not spacing well is a veritable sin), and they end up taking a lot of bad shots. The level of defense her team plays is impressive but tonight's game typifies the risks of such play - get any kind of reasonable lead against UNC and it is very difficult for them to catch up. The fact that the team doesn't appear too shoot free throws well - a correctable condition for the most part - only buttresses this point.

Historically, I have been somewhat even handed in my tenor towards UNC as my brother and father attended there, with my brother being an All American athlete and Phi Beta Kappa student as well. The recent academic scandal, though has completely soured me on UNC, as it has my brother, who is completely incensed by the school's total disregard of academic standards, and I took great pride in the Duke women's team tonight.

Alexis Jones' play tonight reminded my of Rajon Rondo, except she is likely a heck of a lot easier to coach. She has a great crossover dribble and ability to change pace. Duke should not hesitate to run when she has opportunities.

Congrats to Allison Vernery, too.

Tappan Zee Devil
03-03-2013, 11:01 PM
I think you are correct. Hatchell's heavily physical style does have its price on offense. Her team doesn't space well at all on offense (and the women's game is not as quick or as vertical as the men's, so not spacing well is a veritable sin), and they end up taking a lot of bad shots. The level of defense her team plays is impressive but tonight's game typifies the risks of such play - get any kind of reasonable lead against UNC and it is very difficult for them to catch up. The fact that the team doesn't appear too shoot free throws well - a correctable condition for the most part - only buttresses this point.

Historically, I have been somewhat even handed in my tenor towards UNC as my brother and father attended there, with my brother being an All American athlete and Phi Beta Kappa student as well. The recent academic scandal, though has completely soured me on UNC, as it has my brother, who is completely incensed by the school's total disregard of academic standards, and I took great pride in the Duke women's team tonight.

Alexis Jones' play tonight reminded my of Rajon Rondo, except she is likely a heck of a lot easier to coach. She has a great crossover dribble and ability to change pace. Duke should not hesitate to run when she has opportunities.

Congrats to Allison Vernery, too.

Yes - 4 points, 6 rebounds and she was a definite presence out there today.
She has been a great credit to Duke and an important part of this team.

Good luck in the future, Allison - I am sure you will succeed in whatever is the next step.

killerleft
03-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Sung to the tune of "Sylvia's Mother" (that's a duh for us old fogeys, a what's that? for the young), all praise to Dr. Hook.

Sylvia's Sweater says... Sylvia's old style,
She took a big lickin' Sunday.

Sylvia's Sweater says... Sylvia's dressed
In an ugly Car-o-lina Way.

Sylvia's Sweater says... thank you for watchin',
I dress just like my charges play...

And the operator says 40 cents more... would buy... a Goodwill... sweater,
Pleeaase, Mrs. Ha-atch-ell, you made us bear witness... to ugly clothing today.
Please, Mrs. Ha-atch-ell, just
Take your team home... and stay... team home and stay...

TruBlu
03-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks Killer, now that song will be stuck in my head for days!

Other than that, good job.