PDA

View Full Version : Give Thanks We're Not an Adidas School

pfrduke
03-02-2013, 09:28 AM
... because the highest profile Adidas schools will be wearing these monstrosities (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21786696/photo-adidas-latest-uniform-style-is-truly-next-level-hideousness) during the NCAA postseason. It's like a bad joke.

tbyers11
03-02-2013, 09:32 AM
... because the highest profile Adidas schools will be wearing these monstrosities (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21786696/photo-adidas-latest-uniform-style-is-truly-next-level-hideousness) during the NCAA postseason. It's like a bad joke.

Awful with a capital A. If what I heard was true I respect NC State and Michigan for refusing to wear them.

Just like the author of the article the first thing that I thought of when I saw the shorts was Zubaz pants :D

roywhite
03-02-2013, 09:39 AM
If we were an Adidas school, would we have fewer foot and ankle injuries?

Just asking.

pamtar
03-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Obligatory Chris Corchiani unitard post.

Honestly, I think the unitard has finally met it's match. The Addidas shorts are tragic. Looks like the designer just vomited a bowl of fruit loops on to the fabric.

PSurprise
03-02-2013, 10:08 AM
It's like someone threw up a rainbow on their legs

uh_no
03-02-2013, 10:59 AM
i would imagine that K might say "no" to something like that....i know by-and-large, we do exactly what nike tells us to do....but it would also seem like there is a line we wouldn't cross....for instance if he thought our appearance might affect the play on the court.

SupaDave
03-02-2013, 11:42 AM
That Notre Dame uni is kinda fly.

rocketeli
03-02-2013, 11:48 AM
I like them...what's wrong with me?

Jim3k
03-02-2013, 01:46 PM
That Notre Dame uni is kinda fly.

I dare them to wear that uni in Cameron next year.

Lunchab1es
03-02-2013, 02:46 PM
My first reaction when I saw these was to vomit a little bit. My second and third reactions were pretty similar to the first.

IMHO, the only time camo is to be used as a pattern on sports uniforms is when there is either A) a direct link to a military-related event/fundraiser or B) the jersey is being worn by a team directly affiliate with a branch of the military. In those instances it is acceptable, any other time it looks ridiculous to me.

Combine that with sleeves and what appears to be a glow-in-the-dark color palette, and my gag reflex just can't take it any more.

Blech.

CameronBlue
03-02-2013, 02:56 PM
MC Hammer is going to sue for intellectual property theft.

Henderson
03-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Adidas seems to be trying just a wee bit too hard to keep up with Nike.

I agree: blech.

Tom B.
03-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Separated at birth

The new Adidas unis:

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/2/28/11/enhanced-buzz-10317-1362069088-5.jpg

Fruit Stripe chewing gum:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz2dywDF161qkwtito1_500.jpg

TruBlu
03-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Thankfully, the University of Oregon is not a site for the Ncaa Tournament. Can you imagine watching these awful uniforms on that hideous court. (My apologies, if you just imagined it.)

weezie
03-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Separated at birth

The new Adidas unis:

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/2/28/11/enhanced-buzz-10317-1362069088-5.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz2dywDF161qkwtito1_500.jpg

Normally I try not to quote a whole post, just cherry-pick what makes me laugh (or grouse) but this is too good to not highlight again.
You def nailed it Tom B!

juise
03-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Separated at birth

The new Adidas unis:

The question is: Do the Adidas uniforms also come with temporary tattoos on the packaging? I'm betting yes, but inquiring minds want to know!

El_Diablo
03-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Notre Dame is playing in theirs for the Big East Tournament. White tops, white and gray shorts, dark green lettering with yellow trim, light green socks, and light green shoes.

Somehow they are even uglier than the one in the picture (which is at least one basic color/tone).

TexHawk
03-13-2013, 10:31 PM
KU will be wearing the white version of these, and they look a lot better than the blues (not hard). And only for the Big12 tournament, not the NCAAs.

Monmouth77
03-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Notre Dame is playing in theirs for the Big East Tournament. White tops, white and gray shorts, dark green lettering with yellow trim, light green socks, and light green shoes.

Somehow they are even uglier than the one in the picture (which is at least one basic color/tone).

Notre Dame's uniforms tonight are among the ugliest I have ever seen. Between the neon green, the faded grey camouflage, and the NASCAR style advertising all over the Garden I felt an intense sense of vertigo. Luckily it's a terrible game so I could turn it off.

licc85
03-13-2013, 10:50 PM
The Kansas and UCLA ones are the worst . . . and coincidentally, are the 2 best basketball programs of the bunch. I feel sorry for their fans. I would be ashamed if we had to watch our team play in those uniforms. They wouldn't be SO bad if the shorts actually matched the jerseys, but man, you have got to be joking with these. Does ANYONE actually think they look good?

mgtr
03-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Cincinnati wore theirs earlier today. They looked like something that Goodwill rejected as a donation.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2013, 11:18 PM
The ACC needs to pass a Zubaz Ban before Notre Dame joins.

Indiana deserves a lot of credit for nixing these. They don't mess around with their unis in general, which I respect them for.

TexHawk
03-13-2013, 11:30 PM
The Kansas and UCLA ones are the worst . . . and coincidentally, are the 2 best basketball programs of the bunch. I feel sorry for their fans. I would be ashamed if we had to watch our team play in those uniforms. They wouldn't be SO bad if the shorts actually matched the jerseys, but man, you have got to be joking with these. Does ANYONE actually think they look good?

Meh, the KU basketball program bankrolls a large portion of the entire AD budget, so any extra money they bring in helps somewhere. The school has shown in the past that it will wear a variety of uniforms and styles**, so at this point the barn door is already open... I am used to them selling their soul for this kind of thing, so it's not worth getting worked up over.

It's just a good thing they got the #1 seed in the Big12 tournament, so you won't see the road blues that are being linked in this thread.

** AFAIK, Indiana has never altered their uniform at all in their history, not even once.

El_Diablo
03-13-2013, 11:55 PM
I thought the Kansas/UCLA blues were equally bad (mainly due to the contrast between the jerseys and shorts). However...I just discovered that the UCLA jersey has sleeves (as do the Baylor and Louisville jerseys). I thought those were just undershirts in the picture, but--nope!--they're sleeves.

UCLA's is officially the worst.

El_Diablo
03-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Although at least it looks like Adidas switched out the blue & white camo shorts for dark blue & light blue camo shorts for both Kansas and UCLA, so the overall look probably would not be as bad as in the first picture of this thread.

Dev11
03-14-2013, 08:04 AM
Indiana deserves a lot of credit for nixing these. They don't mess around with their unis in general, which I respect them for.

Ever since our gross misstep with the gray uniforms, I consider Indiana at the top of the uniform game. They have a great style and they refuse to change them (not to mention that they pull off the candy stripes, which are pretty boss).

Lennies
03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
That's actually an improvement for Baylor..

theAlaskanBear
03-14-2013, 12:45 PM
My god, I just turned to the Georgetown-Cinci game. They are horrid. I would say comically horrid but thats not the case. They hurt my eyes to look at. WTF are these companies thinking, that someone seeing these unis is going to want to buy them?

hurleyfor3
03-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Notre Dame is wearing its Zubaz road unis today.

Oh. My. God.

ForkFondler
03-14-2013, 10:33 PM
The ACC needs to pass a Zubaz Ban before Notre Dame joins..

No joke. It seems we have made a horrible mistake. Maybe we should rent out MSG so they can play there by themselves.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2013, 10:38 PM
No joke. It seems we have made a horrible mistake. Maybe we should rent out MSG so they can play there by themselves.

That would at once mollify the Zubaz fans, the Notre Dame fans and the ACC-must-be-in-New-York fans. Brilliant.

BlueandWhite
03-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Meh, the KU basketball program bankrolls a large portion of the entire AD budget, so any extra money they bring in helps somewhere. The school has shown in the past that it will wear a variety of uniforms and styles**, so at this point the barn door is already open... I am used to them selling their soul for this kind of thing, so it's not worth getting worked up over.

It's just a good thing they got the #1 seed in the Big12 tournament, so you won't see the road blues that are being linked in this thread.

** AFAIK, Indiana has never altered their uniform at all in their history, not even once.

Hooray for IU in resisting and keeping their traditional unis, same as from the Scott May and Isiah Thomas days, and even earlier it seems. Don't they even have the same warmup pants they've had for years, with the red/white stripes? I loved it when Duke wore old school uniforms back in 2005 to celebrate our 100th anniversary of basketball. It'd be great if Duke wears these unis again...or even decided to go back to retro uniforms for good.

These new adidas uniforms are absolutely horrendous, all of them! The ones for Cincinnati are ridiculously ugly - I couldn't believe it when I saw their game highlights on ESPN last night. Almost a blaze pink color instead of red. What are these people thinking? Also, what's with Note Dame going along with this nonsense?

dairedevil
03-15-2013, 10:03 PM
They remind me of some uniforms my son's soccer team picked out - when they were about 12. The boys thought they were awesome, the adults all thought they looked ridiculous. My guess is that Adidas is hoping to sell these styles to a lot of youth leagues.

ForkFondler
03-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Hooray for IU in resisting and keeping their traditional unis, same as from the Scott May and Isiah Thomas days, and even earlier it seems. Don't they even have the same warmup pants they've had for years, with the red/white stripes? I loved it when Duke wore old school uniforms back in 2005 to celebrate our 100th anniversary of basketball. It'd be great if Duke wears these unis again...or even decided to go back to retro uniforms for good.

These new adidas uniforms are absolutely horrendous, all of them! The ones for Cincinnati are ridiculously ugly - I couldn't believe it when I saw their game highlights on ESPN last night. Almost a blaze pink color instead of red. What are these people thinking? Also, what's with Note Dame going along with this nonsense?

At least Cincinnati had the common decency to lose their first game wearing them. Notre Dame has no shame whatsoever, apparently.

El_Diablo
03-15-2013, 10:27 PM
At least Cincinnati had the common decency to lose their first game wearing them. Notre Dame has no shame whatsoever, apparently.

Cincinnati lots its second game in them.

mapei
03-16-2013, 11:03 AM
To my eyes, Cinci's are the worst. UCLA and KU really awful.

I'm kind of neutral on ND - too bright, but otherwise I like them. And I like Baylor's and the Ville's.

And I can't stand Indiana's candy-stripe warmups. Cartoonish.

They've actually changed the game unis slightly, though I mostly agree with everyone else about liking them. Still very traditional, and I like not having player names on the jersey; but the red and white are not as pure in tone as in the old days. They now call it "crimson and cream" at the alumni association (this from a friend who works there).

Newton_14
03-16-2013, 02:09 PM

I always liked the Red uni's you guys used to wear on occasion back in the day. Always thought those were cool. These new deals are hideous though.