PDA

View Full Version : New Recruiting Target for 2013: PF Reggie Agbeko of Buffalo, NY (6'8", 225 lb.)

-bdbd
03-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Looks like Duke has a new recruiting target for 2013 -- PF Reggie Egbeko of Buffalo, NY (6'8", 225 lb.). He's only a 2-star recruit, but apparently flying up the rankings fast as a "late bloomer" with "big upside." He's been on the radar for a lot of mid-majors for a while - Siena, Iona, Robert Morris, St. Peters, UMASS, IL State, Loyola Marymount, MO State, Kent State, Drexel, Miami of OH, UNCC, but now getting attention from the likes of Oklahoma, Villanova and Duke. Trying to set up a visit this weekend or next. Hmmm. Seems pretty strong, but moves well. Maybe a little rough around the edges still.

Well that is one way to address a lack of interior depth... Though it seems a little odd to blow off a kid like Gavin Schilling, who I think was slightly higher rated, and then come back a few months later on a relative unknown like this. But, hey, maybe the coaches see something they like.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/143029/reggie-agbeko

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9omZLBtHFY

http://www.bobsblitz.com/2012/12/south-kent-schools-reggie-agbeko-dunked.html
(look at about the 4:48 minute mark)

Jack Whitehead ‏ @ runhouse
Look for our 6' 8" f Reggie Agbeko to make 3 visits in the upcoming weeks to Duke, Tulane and Loyola Marymount. Maybe a 4th to ......

Kedsy
03-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Looks like Duke has a new recruiting target for 2013 -- PF Reggie Egbeko of Buffalo, NY (6'8", 225 lb.). He's only a 2-star recruit, but apparently flying up the rankings fast as a "late bloomer" with "big upside." He's been on the radar for a lot of mid-majors for a while - Siena, Iona, Robert Morris, St. Peters, UMASS, IL State, Loyola Marymount, MO State, Kent State, Drexel, Miami of OH, UNCC, but now getting attention from the likes of Oklahoma, Villanova and Duke. Trying to set up a visit this weekend or next. Hmmm. Seems pretty strong, but moves well. Maybe a little rough around the edges still.

Well that is one way to address a lack of interior depth... Though it seems a little odd to blow off a kid like Gavin Schilling, who I think was slightly higher rated, and then come back a few months later on a relative unknown like this. But, hey, maybe the coaches see something they like.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/143029/reggie-agbeko

Look for our 6' 8" f Reggie Agbeko to make 3 visits in the upcoming weeks to Duke, Tulane and Loyola Marymount. Maybe a 4th to ......

Assuming this is true, it would have to be a long-term project sort of thing. Hard to see a 6'8" 225 lb. 2-star recruit playing at all, given next season's roster.

AncientPsychicT
03-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Well, this would add another 6'8" player to our roster. :D

But in all seriousness, I don't understand why we wouldn't save the scholarship for 2014 unless this guy truly is a brilliant diamond in the coarse, dark rough. Assuming Dre comes back, wouldn't this put us at the limit for next year (leaving us with one less scholly for all those impressive 2014 players we're going after)?

DukeWarhead
03-02-2013, 02:16 AM

Dude,
It's March 1st, not April 1st.

Duke of Nashville
03-02-2013, 05:32 AM
Why not? He already has every move MP2 had as a junior...<ducks>

LOL at 225 lbs.

devildeac
03-02-2013, 07:37 AM
And, of course, here it is: How many cinder blocks?:eek:

BlueDevilBrowns
03-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Assuming this is true, it would have to be a long-term project sort of thing. Hard to see a 6'8" 225 lb. 2-star recruit playing at all, given next season's roster.

Additionally, if Semi's Coach is correct and he has grown 2 more inches, Semi would be 6'8" now. He's effectively the same size as Egbeko, just a lot more versatile and skilled. I could see Semi playing at the 4/5 spot next year before this recruit could/would see any time on the court.

Not to get conspiratorial or anything, but maybe this is a "backup plan" in-case of other roster changes after the season. Or maybe he really IS a late-bloomer and he's THAT good. Time will tell I suppose.

awich1
03-02-2013, 01:27 PM
I am always amazed by these kind of discussions. We have a hall of fame coach, one of the greatest of all time. Shouldn't we give him and his staff a little credit for knowing what they are doing.

Henderson
03-02-2013, 01:32 PM
I am always amazed by these kind of discussions. We have a hall of fame coach, one of the greatest of all time. Shouldn't we give him and his staff a little credit for knowing what they are doing.

I certainly make that assumption, but that doesn't mean we don't get to weigh in and discuss.

Jim3k
03-02-2013, 01:43 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9omZLBtHFY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9omZLBtHFY)

He seems a lot wider than a 6'8" 225 dude. I'd guess, if the height is right, he's closer to 250. He may well qualify as a space eater who can block shots. Plus, from what I can tell, he's a lefty. That's all to the good.

Kedsy
03-02-2013, 01:52 PM
He seems a lot wider than a 6'8" 225 dude. I'd guess, if the height is right, he's closer to 250. He may well qualify as a space eater who can block shots. Plus, from what I can tell, he's a lefty. That's all to the good.

Yeah, I just watched the highlight video, and if he's 6'8" he's heavier than 225. On the other hand, he only looks a couple inches taller than the guards on his own high school team, so my guess is he's closer to 6'6".

After watching the video, it's hard to imagine Duke being interested in adding him as our 13th scholarship player for next year (or even 12th, if Andre doesn't play or something else happens). When your highlight video includes a 12 foot shot that bounces on the rim three times, that says something.

Also, according to the links in the initial post, his last name is Agbeko, not Egbeko.

Henderson
03-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Here's a nice video profile of him from November of 2010, soon after he came to the U.S. from Ghana.

http://www.wgrz.com/video/685924517001/0/Reggie-Agbeko-raises-expectations-for-St-Joes-

He and his HS coach both described the game in Ghana as pretty unstructured. So he's had a lot to learn in his 3 years of American BB. That might suggest some interesting upside potential. They were listing him at 6'7" 215 then, but looking at the video of him as a HS sophomore (age unknown), he may have been holding helium balloons. The video shows a couple nice post moves, albeit against other local HS kids. No idea what his academics are like.

Greg_Newton
03-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Kind of a strange development, but OTOH, I've always thought that it wouldn't be a bad idea to give a physical, athletic, fiery, low-ranked big a scholarship once in a recruiting cycle. We very rarely actually need all of our scholarships, and if said big is okay with the understanding that he'll be expected to work his butt off for four years and may never play big minutes, it seems like it could only help, in both in terms of practice, games, and general continuity and leadership.

Plus, plenty of players (http://hsnorthcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=404&p=8&c=1&nid=3852970) in that mold (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2315478) end up turning out as guys we could use... should be interesting to follow.

Troublemaker
03-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Though it seems a little odd to blow off a kid like Gavin Schilling, who I think was slightly higher rated, and then come back a few months later on a relative unknown like this. But, hey, maybe the coaches see something they like..

FWIW, I'm a heck of a lot more impressed by Agbeko's videos than I was Schilling's. Agbeko has way better athleticism/length.

I was actually going to write this off as a false rumor or a kid trying to walk-on until I saw the videos.

Thanks for the links!

Troublemaker
03-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Also, hats off to the coaching staff! We are often one of the first high-major schools involved for late-bloomers / fast-risers like Agbeko or Carrick Felix. If anyone ever doubted whether our coaches worked hard enough in recruiting as far as scouring the nation, let those doubts subside. At the very least, we are very piped into the network (as you would expect).

rocketeli
03-02-2013, 05:21 PM
I don't think we should recruit any more players who hail from Africa. They don't seem to stay around very long.

Dukeblue91
03-02-2013, 05:26 PM
I have to be honest I'm not sure why Duke is looking at him.
Having said that if Coach K thinks that he should be on the team then he must have his reasons and who am I to argue with him about basketball.
There has to be something the coaches see that we have not as of yet.

ice-9
03-02-2013, 07:19 PM
I don't think we should recruit any more players who hail from Africa. They don't seem to stay around very long.

What?!?

rocketeli
03-02-2013, 08:38 PM
What?!?

A joke, son...but how soon we forget! Luol Deng, Michael Gbinije, Eric Boateng... three players, three total years played.

pfrduke
03-02-2013, 08:43 PM
A joke, son...but how soon we forget! Luol Deng, Michael Gbinije, Eric Boateng... three players, three total years played.

Gbinije is from Richmond.

And this was a joke that was in really poor taste.

wilko
03-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Gbinije is from Richmond.

And this was a joke that was in really poor taste.

Not only that - it wasnt funny. Deng was from England.

Tappan Zee Devil
03-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Not only that - it wasnt funny. Deng was from England.

He was from Sudan before he was from England

OZZIE4DUKE
03-02-2013, 10:12 PM
I had heard that recruiting wasn't over, but we'd be looking at some talented 5th year grad student type guys who had one year of eligibility left and could transfer and play right away next year. Like what carolina did last year to get an extra big man. Maybe another backup point guard would be nice?

BlueDevilBrowns
03-02-2013, 10:23 PM
I had heard that recruiting wasn't over, but we'd be looking at some talented 5th year grad student type guys who had one year of eligibility left and could transfer and play right away next year. Like what carolina did last year to get an extra big man. Maybe another backup point guard would be nice?

My guess is Sulaimon is the backup PG next year when not at the 2. Don't forget about TT, too.

Saratoga2
03-02-2013, 10:33 PM
I have to be honest I'm not sure why Duke is looking at him.
Having said that if Coach K thinks that he should be on the team then he must have his reasons and who am I to argue with him about basketball.
There has to be something the coaches see that we have not as of yet.

We need someone who is big and tough next year. Who will that be? Marshall? Josh? Amile? Others?

Maybe he is being looked at as a strong inside presence.

Kedsy
03-02-2013, 10:38 PM

With all the talent we'll have next year, especially perimeter talent, I can't imagine we'd go for a backup point guard. I'd also be pretty surprised if we seriously went after a freshman like this Agbeko kid, unless we viewed him as a long-term project. And as for the 5th year grad student option, I imagine we'd be happy to take an Alex Oriakhi-type talent, who would possibly start or at least play major rotation minutes, but I find it hard to see us be too interested in a Justin Knox type who would only see 5 or 10 minutes and would take those minutes away from guys we want to develop (Amile, Alex, Semi, Marshall) without being an obvious upgrade.

burnspbesq
03-02-2013, 11:36 PM
We are often one of the first high-major schools involved for late-bloomers / fast-risers like Agbeko or Carrick Felix.

That may be true in general, but we whiffed on this guy.

http://articles.dailypilot.com/2012-11-14/sports/tn-dpt-1115-ndiaye-picks-uc-irvine-20121114_1_tallest-high-school-mamadou-ndiaye-uc-irvine

UrinalCake
03-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Any chance we bring in this guy and redshirt him for a year? In 2014 Jabari will likely be gone, Hood may be gone if you believe the hype, Hairston will be gone, plus Tyler and Dawkins will be gone. So we'll have plenty of scholarships and not much size inside, though obviously we're chasing some other recruits in that class.

dukejim1
03-03-2013, 07:13 AM
That may be true in general, but we whiffed on this guy.

http://articles.dailypilot.com/2012-11-14/sports/tn-dpt-1115-ndiaye-picks-uc-irvine-20121114_1_tallest-high-school-mamadou-ndiaye-uc-irvine

We have a google block on anybody with the name Ndiaye

mattman91
03-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Any updates on this big fella? I know a lot of people are already panicking about the "lack of interior depth", as if Duke actually uses it's big men for anything other than setting screens :rolleyes:... I definitely agree with most posters in this thread that I don't see Agbeko as an immediate contender for playing time given that we have Marshall, Amile, and Josh to hold down the post next season. I do, however, see him as a prospect that the program could really use for the future. We are pretty much all expecting Parker to be gone after next year, along with Hairston graduating. That leaves two true post players left;Plumlee and Jefferson (I don't consider Murphy or Ojeleye a true post players, rather "wings"). What happens if we don't land Okafor or Looney? If we do land one, either could easily (probably) be one-and-doners. We have plenty of scholarships available, why not use one on a four year guy that could develop into a solid role player?

On a side note, what ever happened to the lacrosse player Myles Jones who was talking about walking on the basketball team? Is that still a possibilty? I'd love another Reggie Love type walk-on!

burnspbesq
03-28-2013, 12:03 AM
On a side note, what ever happened to the lacrosse player Myles Jones who was talking about walking on the basketball team? Is that still a possibilty? I'd love another Reggie Love type walk-on!

I don't know how much lax you've watched this spring, but we have learned one thing about Myles Jones that wasn't evident in watching him in high school all-star games: he is sloooooooooooow by D1 standards.

airowe
03-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Things have cooled considerably between Duke and Agbeko.

BD80
03-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Things have cooled considerably between Duke and Agbeko.

Could that open the door for a local school that just hired a new coach?

Saratoga2
03-28-2013, 10:16 AM
It appears we will be very deep on the perimeter next year. Quinn, Tyler, Rasheed, Matt, Andre and Rodney Hood. In addition we have Semi, Jabari, Alex and Amile who are somewhat flexible as SF/PF candidates. We also have Josh and Marshall for interior (C/PF).

The coaching staff has information and opinions about where people will play and probably some advance idea about anyone who may decide not to play and/or transfer. The area of weakness that most of the fans seem concerned about is the front court. We have Marshall who has not really cracked the lineup this year and Josh who is undersized and is not throught about as a starter. Possibly Jabari could play some PF if it suits his game and then there is Amile who may add some strength for next year. Clearly there is a need for a true inside player of size and ability. I doubt if we will find this player so late in the recruiting season but who knows what is going on behind the scenes? Not me! I can't see looking at a big guy who is a project, since that kind of a player wouldn't help us next season anyway. Better to recruit a big in 2014.

CDu
03-28-2013, 10:36 AM
It appears we will be very deep on the perimeter next year. Quinn, Tyler, Rasheed, Matt, Andre and Rodney Hood. In addition we have Semi, Jabari, Alex and Amile who are somewhat flexible as SF/PF candidates. We also have Josh and Marshall for interior (C/PF).

The coaching staff has information and opinions about where people will play and probably some advance idea about anyone who may decide not to play and/or transfer. The area of weakness that most of the fans seem concerned about is the front court. We have Marshall who has not really cracked the lineup this year and Josh who is undersized and is not throught about as a starter. Possibly Jabari could play some PF if it suits his game and then there is Amile who may add some strength for next year. Clearly there is a need for a true inside player of size and ability. I doubt if we will find this player so late in the recruiting season but who knows what is going on behind the scenes? Not me! I can't see looking at a big guy who is a project, since that kind of a player wouldn't help us next season anyway. Better to recruit a big in 2014.

Yeah, I'll be surprised if we add anyone to next year's team. We'll just have to hope that Parker can dominate at PF and the trio of Plumlee, Hairston, and Jefferson can hold down the fort at backup PF and at C. I doubt there'll be a fifth-year guy available that is an upgrade over Plumlee/Hairston/Jefferson (especially considering those guys will be much more familiar with Duke's defensive principles).

As for the title of your post (which doesn't really seem to connect to your post), I don't see anyone leaving before next year. The two guys most in danger of losing playing time (Murphy and Plumlee) have already redshirted, and seem to really like being at Duke. The rest of the backups are either freshmen or seniors, so they're less likely to leave anyway. Of course, in this era, you just never know. But I'd tend to think we'll be alright with regards to the dreaded transfer.