PDA

View Full Version : Featherston - The Parade of Injuries

Bob Green
02-28-2013, 12:45 PM
I read and enjoy the many fine articles written by Al Featherston for DBR. The level of detail he provides is astounding. Even by Featherston's lofty standards, The Parade of Injuries stands out as an outstanding article:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=46658

I wasn't in Reynolds Coliseum in 1974, but I remember the David Thompson injury as clear as if it happened yesterday. My family was watching on TV in our Fayetteville living room. Featherston states Reynolds went completely quiet. I counter the state of North Carolina went completely quiet. The article goes on to talk about a lot of injuries at Duke and in the ACC, obviously including the current situation with Ryan Kelly.

It's a great read and anyone who doesn't take the time to check it out is making a mistake.

DukeAlumBS
02-28-2013, 01:31 PM
My friend,

Thank you this is very nice. I see you were in Fayetteville, NC. I spent half my life at Ft Bragg. You are also retired Navy. So you should have an understanding that these are not out of the ordinary. In a young, active, physical enviroment this will happen. Especially competitive athletics at Div 1 level.
These injuries are seen more in the service because of the physical nature of the service.
Again, thank you at least we can let people know, that this does happen in us!

Thank you, have a nice day.

Jimmy

MChambers
02-28-2013, 01:54 PM
I read and enjoy the many fine articles written by Al Featherston for DBR. The level of detail he provides is astounding. Even by Featherston's lofty standards, The Parade of Injuries stands out as an outstanding article:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=46658

I wasn't in Reynolds Coliseum in 1974, but I remember the David Thompson injury as clear as if it happened yesterday. My family was watching on TV in our Fayetteville living room. Featherston states Reynolds went completely quiet. I counter the state of North Carolina went completely quiet. The article goes on to talk about a lot of injuries at Duke and in the ACC, obviously including the current situation with Ryan Kelly.

It's a great read and anyone who doesn't take the time to check it out is making a mistake.

We went quiet in Jacksonville, FL when Thompson got hurt.

My only complaint about the article is that it forced me to relive many unhappy moments!

moonpie23
02-28-2013, 01:55 PM
from his article last year:

No. 1 John Roche, South Carolina 1970 – The Gamecocks dominated the ACC in 1970 the way Duke did in 1999, but late in a semifinal victory over Wake Forest, Roche suffered a terrible ankle sprain. He tried to play in the finals, but missed 13 of 17 shots (including potential game-winners at the end of regulation and the first overtime). The ACC player of the year finished with nine points as N.C. State handed South Carolina its first ACC loss of the season in double overtime.

Those last two are the most important, because they kept their respective teams from getting an NCAA bid.

killerleft
02-28-2013, 02:17 PM
We went quiet in Jacksonville, FL when Thompson got hurt.

My only complaint about the article is that it forced me to relive many unhappy moments!

We went quiet in the day room of the 548th Supply & Service Battalion at Fort McClellan, AL. That State team had friends everywhere. They had the tallest player (Tommy Burleson), the shortest player (Monte Towe), and the best player in the NCAA that year. When David came back out (would he ever walk again?) with the bandage on his head, the emotion couldn't be cut with a knife.

The video, not retouched, no digital enhancement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pTe_AkrVSc

DukeAlumBS
02-28-2013, 02:34 PM
My friend,

Thank you for sharing this. Ft Mc Lelland the (OLD) chemical school.
I am sorry Anniston was a sorry stop for me! As a medical type, chemical was part of my life there as well!
Thanks for sharing.
Also the old flight helicopter school.

Than you very much. As I said a very common injury.
I am trying to tell all. This is very common across the board with an active person be it sports or what have you.

Have a nice day,

Jim