PDA

View Full Version : ACC Coaches Who Played in the NBA?

sagegrouse
02-28-2013, 09:29 AM
The Front Page, referencing Tony Bennett, wondered whether any other current coach had played in the NBA. Naw! I wonder how many ACC coaches ever have played in the NBA. I don't have time to do the research now -- this is a May project -- but there are at least two more:

Horace (Bones) McKinney, legendary Wake coach and ACC announcer, played in the NBA from 1949 to 1952 with Washington and Boston. ("I tell my guards, this here's my man Lennie Chappell [All-American center]. If you don't get him the ball, you are going to sit right here beside me on the bench." I believe the comment was directed at former Wake G Billy Packer.) (Bones also had seatbelts installed on the Wake bench, in response to the ACC giving technicals to coaches who stood up and yelled at the refs.)

Sidney Lowe. El Sid played four seasons (over seven years) in the NBA with the Pacers, Pistons, Hawks, Hornets and Wolves.

Surely there are others.

sagegrouse

Atldukie79
02-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Skinner ex-BC coach played for several teams, including a run with Dr. J of the Nets

Reilly
02-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Press Maravich played in the BAA, which was one of the two entities that merged to form the NBA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Maravich

Seeing the Skinner reference made me think of Bob Cousy, who coached BC long before they were an ACC school ... Cousy won 75% of his games, and was succeeded by Chuck Daly ...

Tom B.
02-28-2013, 12:10 PM
I did some quick, non-exhaustive research, and I can't find or think of any beyond the coaches already mentioned. Seems kind of strange that there would be so few NBA veterans among all of the head basketball coaches in the ACC's 60 years of existence, but that seems to be the case.

One interesting trivia tidbit I ran across, though -- can anyone name an ACC basketball coach who played in the NFL?

juise
02-28-2013, 12:13 PM
I did some quick, non-exhaustive research, and I can't find or think of any beyond the coaches already mentioned. Seems kind of strange that there would be so few NBA veterans among all of the head basketball coaches in the ACC's 60 years of existence, but that seems to be the case.

Sounds like it's time to move on to assistants, then. :)

mr. synellinden
02-28-2013, 12:15 PM

One interesting trivia tidbit I ran across, though -- can anyone name an ACC basketball coach who played in the NFL?

Bob Wade of Maryland played in the NFL in the late 60s I think.

Tom B.
02-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Bob Wade of Maryland played in the NFL in the late 60s I think.

Yep, he was a defensive back for the Steelers, Redskins and Broncos from 1968-70.

rsvman
02-28-2013, 01:15 PM

I see that somebody provided an actual answer to this trivia question. If I didn't know the answer, and had to make a guess, I think that Leonard Hamilton looks like he would have been an excellent linebacker. He's got the stare, too: if I were a running back, I'd run to the opposite side of the field and take my chances.